Page 4 of 7 
Username Post: LOUISIANA!!!!!!!        (Topic#1413193)
oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Heather J. Landry

Happy Fourth of July to all my Louisiana blogging friends!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

CUTE little pug ya got there!!!

HAPPY FOURTH EVERYONE!!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to RobinsSpirit

She's rotten as all get out! What did you girls do for the 4th? I went to the gym, scrapped, and packed for a crop I'm going to today.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Had all 3 grown "children" and 3 of the 6 grands here. Had a fish fry yesterday and fireworks last night. Today we swam at dd's pool and then did fajitas and enchiladas for dinner. The youngest dgd had a friend spending the weekend with her. The funniest part is the teen boys who seem to know when it is dinner time and are so eager to join the family for meals! I love being able to include their friends and hearing all the laughter as they enjoy their meal and visit.

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit
In response to oakhills

I dug a hole to CHINA and put in a water pond in our backyard! Doing the landscaping around it now... LOve this little thing! It's so calming and relaxing!!! I'm sore from diggin' though!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Ann,

That sounds like the PERFECT 4th of July!!!

Robin,

I think that's awesome that you are putting in a pond. I used to have a little fountain but it broke. I miss having that water sound. I hope you feel better soon!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

I love the sound of a fountain or water fall! My fountain keeps losing water and we can't find a leak. When we first put it in, it seemed to go for several days without too much evaporation. But now a couple of years later, it loses enough that we must add a couple of inches every few hours. DH has it unplugged now because he got tired of having to fill it! LOL

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Could you paint the bottom of it with epoxy or sealant of some sort to fix it?

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

We aren't sure where the water is going. It is made in 3 sections and none show any signs of a crack or leaking water. The ground around the base is not wet and with the drought we are having it would certainly be wet if several gallons of water a day were leaking out. It's a mystery to us as to where it goes!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

That is so weird Ann. Oh well I guess you can't fix it. Hmmm.

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

Morning louisiana girls

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Good morning Robin, We got lots of rain here last night and my plants are thrilled!

I teach my first class tomorrow at my LSS and am very nervous/excited!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Yay! We got a little rain yesterday, too! The plants needed it so bad.

Heather, good luck with your first class. Wish I lived nearby so I could attend. That is one big disadvantage of living in the country...we are not close enough to any city where LSS do classes. Anything I learn comes from tips and ideas on boards like sb.com .

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit
In response to oakhills

Darn... it didn't rain a single drop at my house! Is that not WEIRD!!!! Hoping for some tonight though...they say we have a chance of getting some!!!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Hey girls!

My first class went well. It was easier than I would have guessed. I was still nervous though. LOL I have another one coming up this Saturday. And I've been invited to put a project together for consideration to teach at a convention. I'm freaking out about that now. LOL

Ann,

I have never been to a class either, which strikes me pretty funny since I'm teaching them now. I learned most of what I know here on sb.com !

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Robin,

I hope you get some rain soon!

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

Actually... I got some RAIN! MUCH NEEDED RAIN last night and on my way home from work as I got closer to home I noticed the streets were wet and there were TINY puddles so my area musta got a summer shower today! YEAH!!! My poor grass is so suckin' it up!! My water bill is gonna be crazy this month!!! It is so funny that parts of the city will get a rain shower and other parts is dry as a bone!!!

Edited by RobinsSpirit on 07-14-08 04:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Today we had to say goodbye to our rat terrier, Patches. She was 11 years old and had arthritis in her back so bad that she could barely walk and then you could see the pain it caused for her. Frequently she would begin to yelp with the pain. She had been on steroids and pain meds for over 2 weeks and continued to get worse. As hard as it was to say it was time to have her put to sleep, it was so painful to watch her try to walk, too. DH and I buried her in the yard under a pecan tree this PM. As soon as I can do them without tear stains, I have several LOs in mind to do about her.

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit
In response to oakhills

Oh Ann... I know how that feels as I had a baby girl I had for 17 yrs and her kidneys failed and I had to make that same decision! Almost killed me to d o it! She is buried in my backyard under the Maple tree. My daddy welded a cross from iron and it's out there!!! I so loved her and still miss her sweet face and funny self!!! Hubby got me my Laci (blk & tan longhaired doxie) right after (about a month later) and it was hard for me to actually bond with her then at the time cause I was still grieving!! But now, I love my Laci and call her "my smile" cause she helped me through that difficult time! It's been 5 yrs now and I still miss my girl...but Laci helps me!!! It is hard! I am so sorry that this happend to you! TIme will heal your heart, lady!!!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Thanks for your sweet words of encouragement. My hubby is having a hard time with this, too, as he found Patches when she wandered in the police station where he was working one day. She was only a few weeks old...he could hold her in the palm of his hand. After unsuccessfully searching for her owners, we adopted her.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

It was 102 here according to my thermometer yesterday Robin. This is just getting crazy! We haven't had rain in a while, but you know my kids love it because it means they get to play in the sprinkler.

Ann,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your furbaby. That's just got to be so hard, but I'm so glad she's not hurting anymore. It's so hard to see them in pain.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

You won't believe the rain shower we had here a short while ago...about 3/4 inch! Weather reports have shown little hope for rain so I was surprised when I heard thunder and a few minutes later the rain! I can just hear the plants breathing a sigh of relief! LOL

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Send it down here Ann. We surely could use it! I taught my 2nd class this Saturday. It was sooo hot in the classroom that it was hard to concentrate! And they had the air on!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

I hope "Dolly" brings us all some much needed rain but without the storms!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

"Dolly"?

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Hurricane "Dolly" that came in near Brownsville, TX and Padre Island today. Our forecast is for some rain (30% chance) today and tomorrow from the storm system.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Oh holy cow I didn't even know there was one in the Gulf. I've been so busy with work. We can use the rain though! I'm so goofy. I'll have to keep a closer watch on the weather channel!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Did you get any rain from the storm system? We had a nice shower late yesterday. I haven't checked the gauge yet but it was probably close to 1/2 inch.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

We had a storm in the morning while I was watching ER, and I missed a part b/c of the satellite. It was pretty strong. I was glad to be home and not out in it!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Will almost be glad when my garden quits producing! Spent today canning tomatoes...6 pints canned and a quart in the freezer...ran out of jars. Put four bags of bell pepper strips in the freezer to use for fajitas and froze some Italian stuffed bell peppers to bake in marinara sauce and serve over pasta.

In addition to all this, I make the bread for our communion service at church and had to get that done today.

I am ready for a nap!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I'm jealous! You must have a green thumb. I kill all kinds of vegetables... but I can grow flowers. LOL

You must be exhausted after all of that hard work!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Wish you were close by so I could share some the tomatoes and peppers with you. I always get tired of eating them by now and just want them to quit growing.

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit
In response to oakhills

Man I wish I lived close to you, Ann! I LOVE home grown tomatoes!! I'll eat them all by themselves cut up in cubes for lunch!!! No rain here at all in a LOOOONNGGG while! My grass is getting crunchy and turning brown! Not watering anything cept my plants and we also have a major burn ban in effect!!! It's been 100 plus days too and that doesn't include the heat index!!! Somebody please smack me when I complain about it being too cold this winter and remind me of how hot it was this summer!!!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Spent yesterday afternoon putting some of those tomatoes in the freezer for soups, gumbos, and chili this winter. DH is such a "squirrel" and won't allow anything like them to be wasted! I don't complain as long as he is here to help. My arthritic back begins to scream at me if I have to do it all alone as it does take a while to peel, core, and bag them for freezing.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Ann,

You sound like my grandma. LOL She planted peppers this year and is sick of them too. I told her to feed the leftovers to her chickens. She did for a while but now the chickens are tired of them too. LOL

Robin,

I'd send you some of our rain if I could. It's been storming here everyday and the kids have total cabin fever. I hope you get some soon! It's so incredibly hot!

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

I hear there is another storm brewing in the gulf!!! Hope you all way down there are doing ok!! NO RAIN HERE yet!!! UGH! We have been 104 for a week now!!!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

We aren't getting any rain but my grandparents are getting swamped again. Ugh. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

Nope nogga on the rain here! I was driving home today from work and got all excited cause I got a total of EIGHT rain drops on my windshield. But that's ALL I GOT!!! Turned on the TV to weather channel and it ain't gonna be raining here!! South Lousiana on west side is getting slammed but no where north at least not as far north as I am at!!!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

I've been watering my shrubs and some new oak trees we planted this year hoping they survive. Now I have to worry that the armadillo will dig them up! There is one hole that must be 12-15 inches deep and smaller ones all around the yard. When the forests are dry they come into the yard looking for grubs and make havoc of the flower beds. Since they are nocturnal, it is very difficult to catch them at it. DH has stayed up waiting for them before and they never show when he is watching! It's like they know when he is around. LOL

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Oh Robin... I hope you get some rain soon. I know it must be terribly hot.

Ann,

Armadillos scare me! We used to have them in our yard growing up. I've heard that mothballs work. The smell puts them off and they'll stay out of the flower beds, but since you have dogs I don't think it's an option because your dog might eat them.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

We had a trap to catch them and "relocate" them to the woods again. Dh loaned it to our son a couple of years ago and it has never returned! We didn't have much luck catching them in it anyway.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Oooh just the thought freaks me out. I don't like nature. LOL Give me a computer and some air conditioning with no BUGS or creatures. I'm a big weenie. Have you looked up home remedy type things. I know red pepper mixed with dish soap is great for keeping deer out of things. You put it in a spray bottle and spray it. And there's a type of soap bar that you can hang up and deer hate it too, but I don't know about armadillos. Maybe you could google it?

RobinsSpirit
Mayor
RobinsSpirit

YEE-HAW! We got some good rain Friday morning. Prolly a couple inches!!! Just wished it woulda rained all day long to soak up and not run off!!! They say we have a 30% chance today but that will prolly not be in my area!!! Sun is up and no clouds in sight today!!!!

I'm having to keep my garden pond refilled at least every 3 to 4 days because of it being so hot and evaporating! I have 2 red eared slider aquatic turtles that live in it and they love it out there!!

Edited by RobinsSpirit on 08-10-08 05:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

I am enjoying a slow soaking "sprinkle" rain today. It's not a lot of rain but every drop is "deeply" appreciated! LOL

All three kids and 4 of six granddaughters were here over the weekend, plus 3 of the boyfriends! We grilled hamburgers while everyone swam at dd's yesterday...had watermelon, great desserts, etc. I love weekends like this when we can enjoy family fun! Several were still here for "Sunday" dinner after church. Had baked turkey, broccoli & rice casserole, creamed corn, rolls, Strawberry Twinkie Cake and peaches & ice cream.

Edited by oakhills on 08-10-08 03:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Robin,

Yay for the rain!!! We are getting it today. I am grateful that it's raining, but not grateful I got stuck in it coming out of a Dr's appointment with 2 toddlers. LOL I tossed them in the car, and climbed in the backseat with them to belt them up. Then I climbed into the front. They thought it was hilarious. =0)

Ann,

I'm so jealous! We don't get together with my family nearly enough. We do spend a lot of time with DH's though.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Hooray! We got lots of rain today and are expecting more tomorrow. The weather reporter on the local station gave rain amounts for places near us at only an inch or so; however, our rain gauge which measures up to 5 inches was overflowing when my hubby emptied it this AM! That came between about 2 AM and 10 AM and it has continued to sprinkle most of the day. I have enjoyed being on the porch just smelling the freshness of the clean rain!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Yep we are getting tons of rain too! Hey I love your new avatar! =0)

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Our lawn is again green and lush in most places from the 6+ inches of rain we got over a two day period. Our son-in-law mowed the grass yesterday so the yards are really pretty this AM. I have a renewed interest in gardening...until I walk out into the heat and humidity! LOL

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I love it when the grass is beautiful, green and mowed. That's the best time to take my kids out and take photos of them on it. LOL I just wish it was cooler. We went out and cut some flowers out of the garden to put on the table, but after that we came in. It's just TOO HOT to do anything!! =0)

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

The Fall like weather that we are experiencing this week is amazing after the blistering month of July. The high temp yesterday was 78 degrees with soft, intermitten rain. We were at Dr. appts and shopping all day but the rain was never bad enough to get us more than slightly damp.

I got a USB connector for my Cricut machine and have already downloaded the DesignStudio program. I need to get off the internet and get it connected so I can PLAY!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

That's really cool Ann... I've used it before and it's really neat. I've recently discovered a new addiction to Stickles. LOL So I'm going to go play too!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Hope all my dear friends in the southern areas of the state have left for safer ground! Check in when this is over to let us know how things are for you and if there is any way that we can help.

asassyscrapper
Governor
asassyscrapper
In response to oakhills

GOD BLESS everyone in Gustav's path.....my prayers are with you. Hang in there and be safe!...Patty

annasmom
Expert
annasmom
In response to asassyscrapper

Hi ladies,
haven't been on here in a while. Things are pretty quiet here right now in Franklinton (about 55 miles north of NO). The first band of rain came through an hour or so ago and it was pretty heavy, but no real wind yet. It's not gonna be as bad as they were predicting here because its going further west as of now. But I think we are still gonna get a LOT of wind and rain.
My generators have decided not to work so I am hoping our electricity stays on!!
Lynn

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to annasmom

Lynn, tried to call you yesterday...wanted you to know that you could head here if you need a place to go! PM me if there is anything I can do when this is over. We are as well prepared up here (for the wind, rain, possible tornadoes) as we can get. Have our safe room stocked and all the porch stuff put away. Stay safe!

annasmom
Expert
annasmom
In response to oakhills

Hi Ann,
I'm okay. Except for the fact that both of my generators refuse to work. Had to borrow a generator for a few hours to keep my fridge and freezer cold so I'm taking the opportunity to let everyone know I'm okay. No power and phones are not getting any service. Took me an hour to get a internet connection. Don't know when I'm getting power back. May be a few days. Everything else is fine. One tree down and tons of debris in the yard but house is okay. Except for everything feeling damp from all the rain. Still have had a few showers and little bit of wind today but not much to speak of. I know why people get so exhausted in storms now. Listening to the wind roar for 24 hours straight will wear you out!
My pastor is supposed to be bringing me a generator this evening. So hopefully I will be able to sleep with a fan tonight. Didn't sleep much at all last night. Just too miserable.
I will update tomorrow. Anyone heard from Heather?
She lives probably about 20 miles south of me. I don't think they have power there either.
Lynn

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to annasmom

Great to hear from you and know you fared okay! We area experiencing rain and wind today, too. The rain isn't hard but constant. We have one tree down from the wind...a Bradford pear at the rear of the yard that we planned to take out anyway because of fire blight. The storm actually helped because the roots are out of the ground. LOL Our house has leaked when it rains from the east ever since we rebuilt. We spent the night changing out towels in the upstairs bedroom window. Despite many efforts, we have not been able to get it fixed. Our power went out before 11:30 PM, came back for a short while around noon, then out again. It is back for now. Our generator filled in with fans and keeping the freezers cold.

Stay dry & cool!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

First off... Happy Birthday Lynn!!! =0)

Second, I am here! In one piece, with no damage to our home, and the power is on! The evacuation itself was such a disaster. I am thrilled to be home. The whole story is up on my blog but it is loooong. Link is in my signature.

Do you have power back Lynn?

Is the weather better where you are now Ann?

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Thanks Heather! I'm going to Copelands tonight. You know what that means?? CHEESECAKE!!!!!
But then again, I have a coupon for a free Love It size birthday ice cream at Coldstone. Hmmmmmm.
Decisions, Decisions!
Power came back on around 6pm Wednesday so I was out for about 2 1/2 days. Not anything like the 22 days of Katrina!
I read your blog and tried to leave a comment but for some reason couldn't. Evacuating is such a PAIN and I just didn't have it in me to deal with all of that right now. So I just sat home and did a whole lot of nothing. Sounds like your evacuation was fraught with all sorts of perils!
Glad you are back home and everything is okay.
Lynn

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to annasmom

Great to hear from you, Heather! So glad you are back home and have electricity after reading of how many are out and will be without for several more days. Intermitten sunshine and clouds today, but no rain. Forecast is for lots of sunshine tomorrow! YAY!

Happy Birthday, Lynn! Copeland's sounds wonderful. Haven't been to one in a while. Just don't think the one in Monroe or Shreveport compare to the ones to the South. These just don't have the atmosphere, I guess! Enjoy the cheesecake and then top it off with the ice cream!!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

Hey Lynn!

Copelands rocks! I'm so jealous. Hmmmm does Coldstone make a Cheesecake Ice Cream? Perfect harmony. LOL My favorite is the coffee lovers ice cream.

I'm so glad your power is back on. My blog acts dumb sometimes with the comment thing. You click on comment, then another screen comes up and you have to click leave comment again.

If I had it to do over again I would've stayed, but I guess that's why they say hindsight is 20/20. Oh well. I'm all caught up on email and need to go be a good girl and finish cleaning house. Blah!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Ann,

Was that you that commented on my blog? If so thank you! I couldn't get back to your profile to return the comment. My grandparents will be out of power for at least a week if not more. They're in lower Plaquemines Parish.

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Okay guys, after eating the hot crab claws for appetizer, then the eggplant pirogue for entree I could only handle half of my cheesecake with Dulce de Leche sauce. OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't even think about ice cream. And I have half of my entree and dessert for tomorrow!
Heather, next time you go to Coldstone, get the coffee and cheesecake ice cream mixed together. You will NOT be sorry. That's what I get EVERY time!! (Although I do ask to "taste" the cake batter-like I've never had it before). Now just resting before I go out with some girlfriends. I hope I'm up to this. Well, at least I'll be in my own car!
Lynn

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

Oh man girl I am so jealous. Now you have me wanting Copelands. I passed it today to go to Walmart to fight the masses for a little bit of food that'll just probably be thrown out when this other stupid hurricane comes.

I will definitely ask for that next time. I looove the coffee ice cream and adore cheesecake, so mixing them together is the next logical step. LOL Did you have fun hanging out with your girlfriends?

How is Anna doing?

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

I'm not jealous of having to go shopping for groceries thats for sure. I went to WD in Franklinton on Thursday and they didn't have anything cold! No milk, butter, sour cream......All I was able to get was a couple of pkgs of shredded cheese. I was going to stop yesterday at either Rouses or WD in Covington but when I saw the parking lots......OH NO!!!! Lucky for me, since its just me I can do without for a few days.
As for going out with my girlfriends, boy, people are sure a lot wilder than they used to be. Or maybe they just show it in public more now!!! I definitely got an eyeful last night!
Anna is great. She is back in KY after 7 weeks working in NY and she has a new car so she is pumped! Its a 2005 Hyundai Tucson with very low milage. So she is quite happy at this point.
Hope the grocery store situation gets better soon! I know you have to go a lot with 3 kids.
God Bless,
Lynn
Oh by the way, will you be at Scrapfest? I finally signed up a few weeks ago. Would love to talk to you in person!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

I went and fought the crowds for the groceries, I'm hoping to not have to go again for a while, but the little buggers drink milk like it's going out of style! Walmart wasn't too bad when I went extremely early in the morning, but it was starting to get more and more crowded, and people were becoming more rude.

LOL about getting an eyeful. I hope it was a fun eyeful! I'm glad that Anna has a new car! It's always good to know they have something reliable to get around in. Especially since she's so far from you!

Yep yep! I am going to be at Scrapfest on Saturday. I have a class at 10AM and I am going to be getting there early for setup and everything. Then I'm going to shop a bit afterwards before coming home to my cranky kids. I'd love to see you there!!!

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Great! I'll be looking for you. What is the name of your class?

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

It's the About A Boy mini album. It's up on the website. A tiny preview. Oh and there's a 2nd tiny preview on my blog. They won't let me post the full project until after the class.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Duh forgot to say looking forward to meeting you too! LOL

Heather_Rochelle
Guru
Heather_Rochelle

just poping in to say hi and i hope all of you made it through GUstav ok. My Parish got hit pretty hard as I am in the New Roads area we wont have elec till 2 weeks or more but were all ok!!!

annasmom
Expert
annasmom
In response to Heather_Rochelle

Glad to hear you are okay. Hopefully that 2 weeks is just an outside estimate and you will get it back quicker than that! Hope so!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

Heather,

They said 2 weeks for lower Plaquemines as well and my grandparents have power down there now. Hopefully it won't be that long. Glad you made it through okay!

Hugs,
Heather L

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Heather, I did leave a comment on your blog! You are right about having to do several tries to leave a comment. Your account of evacuating was certainly not something I want to try! Hope you get to stay put for Ike. My ds and his family are in the Beaumont area and debating whether to evacuate again. They are watching until tomorrow before deciding for sure but are really leaning toward staying.

Lynn, your birthday menu has me drooling!

Heather R, hope you get your power on soon. If you are like us you can "survive" on a generator but can't use the A/C, clothes dryer, etc. that pull a lot of watts.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Yep my blog is a pain as far as comments go. I changed the format a while back, and the comment thing messed up pretty badly. I've never been able to fix it. I've decided to stay for Ike. I really can't take anymore.

Heather R,

Hoping you get power soon! And that Ike doesn't head your way!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Our ds and his family are staying in BEAUMONT! Not what I want but they are definitely adults and must make their own decisions. They left for Gustav and, of course, had nothing but travel trouble out of it!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Oh man Ann I hate to hear that. The mayor of New Orleans was saying that he was worried that a lot of people who evacuated last time would stay. We are having tropical storm force winds here... so my power may go out. I made some coffee, and I'm planning to get some scrapping done. Something to pass the time.

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Well guess what Heather? I'm 55 miles north of NO and the wind is blowing a little bit. Not too terribly bad......and I've ALREADY lost power. About an hour ago. I really expected it to come back on in an couple of minutes but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I love my laptop. Although my battery is only good for a couple of hours.
Happy Scrapping!
Lynn

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

Dude the wind here is outrageous! I braved it to go out and take a picture. At noon it was as dark as if it were 7pm. I put a picture up on my blog. I can't believe the kids had to go to school in the middle of all of this. What I'm really worried about is my husband driving home across the Causeway. If the Causeway police don't like how windy it is... they can close it, and we won't see DH until 8pm probably. We still have power. I bet there's a tree down somewhere that knocked yours out. Be safe!!!!!

Heather_Rochelle
Guru
Heather_Rochelle

You are right about the wind we got a little rain and yes our lights finally came on from GUstav and now are blinking from Ike problem is we have an electric co op so we are not with DEmco or entergy

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Heather_Rochelle

My computer time has been limited the past couple of days. Our DS and his family decided on Fri. morning that they would leave Sour Lake for here. The traffic had cleared some and it only took a couple of hours longer than it normally does. They left this AM after DS contacted their Sheriff's dept and learned most major roads were clear. Their neighbors who did not evacuate had reported that they had only minor damage at their house. They have a generator and fuel to last for several days. They were planning to get groceries and supplies in this area as few stores will be open there for a while.

We had more wind but not as much rain as with Gustav. We were under tornado alerts and watches most of the day and into the evening hours yesterday. Just thankful that we have not heard any reports of any damage from tornadoes in our area. At least this storm did hang around for as long as Gustav, either.

Lynn, do you have power back yet? We were out for several hours yesterday.

Edited by oakhills on 09-14-08 03:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

annasmom
Expert
annasmom
In response to oakhills

Hi Ann,
Yes we got power back. I don't really know how long it was out but not more than an hour or two. I went into town to take care of some business and while I was there a tornado apparently came over part of the town although we didn't know about it until after the fact. The wind really whipped pretty good though all day and night.
Lynn

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to annasmom

Glad you were safe during the tornado! Hope this is the start of a great week with no severe weather threats!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I'm so glad that everyone got through safely. I've been really busy working on a teaching project I have coming up. I'm sorry I haven't been on more. =0) Isn't the weather today awesome?!

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Weather is positively gorgeous today! I'm getting the emails from Scrappersaurus and they practically gush over you and your wonderful classes. Must be great for the ego!! LOL!!
See ya next week at scrapfest!

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to annasmom

Wish I lived near enough to attend the scrapfest! I love looking at all the neat things to purchase and make!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

LOL Lynn, It's a good and a bad thing! It makes me have a big head... but then when I get ready to teach I worry if I mess up people will really be disappointed because they have this super inflated opinion of me before they walk in. I psych myself up in the car before I go in. I'm a goober. Oh and I ended up teaching my 7th grade reading teacher this past Saturday. It was funny.

I know Ann! I wish you lived nearer so that we could meet too! My mini book will be posted here after the class happens so you'll get to see it. I'm looking forward to shopping.

NawlinsScrapper
Expert
NawlinsScrapper

well I am excited to meet Heather and take her class this Saturday - and I've done nothing but compliment her and fill her head. I think she is awesome and I can't wait for the class. i've been planning the page, bought cricut cartridges, and staged photos - I just need to print them and add them to my already packed crop bag!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to NawlinsScrapper

And I can't wait to meet you too Angi! You are certainly right that you've filled my head up with compliments. I can't wait to see what you came up with.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry

Lynn,

I looked for you at ScrapFest but I didn't see you! Were you sitting by the Bogalousa store? My class was cancelled. No one signed up. I'm not the only one that happened to either. Many of the classes were cancelled. I was disappointed, but it'll be ok.

Hugs,
Heather

annasmom
Expert
annasmom

Hey Heather,
I looked for you too but not until about 12:00. Then I went over to Scrappersaurus and asked were you still around and they said that you had left. Sorry! I would've taken your class but I don't have a boy! No one at my table took any classes. I think a lot of people know what they want to do and just would rather spend their money on cool supplies. Most of the people at scrapfest have already taken so many classes from previous Scrapfests. Sorry you couldn't have stayed longer. It was fun and I got a lot done. Maybe I'll see you at Scrappersaurus sometime.
Lynn

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to annasmom

I had probably just left. Ronnie had called, and said the kids were acting up, so I walked around for a while and looked for you then I had to leave. I don't blame you for not taking classes. I understand about rathering cool supplies. Speaking of supplies I just bought a ton of Sassafrass Lass paper at Scrappersaurus. I convinced them to stock it for me. LOL

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

You are so fortunate to have a LSS to shop at. There is one still in Shreveport and I think one is still open in Monroe. I did not find much at the Shreveport store and I don't go to Monroe as often anymore so I have Michael's and Hobby Lobby unless I order online. Have never had the advantage of taking any classes. Now you know why my gallery is so dull!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I don't believe your gallery is dull at all! I think it's great. I wish that everyone had a LSS. It's a different experience than shopping at a big chain store, they are so much more personable.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Thanks for your nice comment! We had a couple of LSS in West Monroe...about 65 miles from me...that were great even though too far to take classes. They had new and different things from the chains, but they just did not have enough business to stay open and couldn't compete with the chains on prices.

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I know that's the problem with all LSS's. Having to compete with the big chains. My store recently decided that they are going to take the big chain store's Coupons which... Whoa! That's pretty awesome, so maybe they'll start getting more business. I hope they don't close.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Two weeks and no new posts! WOW, we are all TOO busy! At our house it is the election that is consuming all our time. DH works for the District Attorney and the DA is retiring. DH has been told by one of the candidates that he wants him to continue if he is elected. DH isn't ready to retire although he will be eligible before the end of this term so we are actively involved in getting "our guy" elected. We are having a neighborhood hamburger supper at our place next weekend so he can meet more people at once than if he had to go door-to-door. We are hoping for a good turnout and good weather with all the work involved in doing this. I absolutely hate politics but I'm trying to at least enjoy all the parties and fundraising events!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

Hey, Howdy, Hi!

I was just thinking of coming on here to check in. LOL You beat me to it. We've been really busy, I'm putting together a Cricut and Design Studio Basics class which is taking up A LOT of my time. I'm also trying to figure out Halloween costumes etc.

I hate politics, it's all just so dirty. In my hometown the district attorney of several years (a close friend of my grandfather's) just got unseated by an incompetant fool so I know what you mean about things being uncertain. My grandfather worked for the DA's office for years, then he ran a domestic violence counseling service. Now he's retired and fishes all day. My grandma says he's making her nuts being home all day. LOL

Edited by miracles_momma on 10-20-08 06:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills

Now even more I wish I lived near you! I have the "original" Cricut and recently got the Design Studio program. I need lots of instruction!! My dd used it a few days ago to do some lettering for a photo collage frame. I tried to help her get started but she was better at it by herself. I had to leave so I didn't get to see the finished product before she gave it as a gift. DH saw it and was impressed!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to oakhills

I have some very good video tutorials I can PM you if you want?!

Page 4 of 7 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics