Page 1 of 632 
Username Post: *For Scraps Sake* COF/critique group (Full and Active)        (Topic#1446845)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 04:48 AM

OK ladies, here's the official thread for the new For Scraps Sake COF/critique group. I thought for our first post we might introduce ourselves. I made up a little questionnaire that I'll put below shortly.

Edited 1/12/08 to add links to everyone's gallery:
Vel's gallery
Retrojulie's gallery
Vawm's gallery
-PaperJunkie-'s gallery
-Melissa's- gallery
Richelle's gallery
Kittymama's gallery
Crazy4scrapbookin's gallery
Delusional1's gallery
Manda_K's gallery
Jeni's gallery
Jill's gallery
Susan's gallery

I'm terrible with names so I'm making a list here of our usernames and what we like to be called so you can check here if you happen to forget someone's name. I know it might sound lame, but I really am absolutely awful with names.

Vel - Vel or Velvet (8/11)
Retrojulie - Julie (5/20)
Vawm - Victoria (8/28)
-PaperJunkie- - Debbie (8/14)
-Melissa- - Mel or Melissa (6/29)
Richelle - Richelle (2/5)
Kittymama - Holly (12/30)
Crazy4scrapbookin - Kim (11/2)
Delusional1 - Debbi (12/17)
Manda_K - Amanda or Manda (5/28)
Jillian - Jill (12/26)
Kromkitty - Jeni (12/20)
Sgoetter - Susan (12/23)

Here's the link to our For Scraps Sake blog: FSS blog
Here's the link to our Gypsy's blog: Gypsy's blog

*Reminder* 1st friendly challenge (Julie's) is due Wednesday, Jan. 23. Extension for latecomers and those currently wearing hospital garb (sorry Dee, couldn't resist). If you haven't already, you should e-mail Julie your very first lo for her to post on our blog. Then when you're done, e-mail your redo to her and also post it in your gallery if you want. Don't forget, this is a "just for fun" challenge--no voting, no big prize money--to see how our styles have changed since we began scrapping.

2nd Challenge (Mel's), due Feb. 6: I thought it would be cool to do a layout about the town/city we live in. Since we are all from different parts of the country or at least different towns (well except for Jeni and I), I thought it would be neat to see where we are all from. Is your town known for something? Is there a landmark in your town? Maybe there is only one red light? Show us your town...heck, you can even paint it red first if you want to!!!
--This can be either a one or 2 page layout....however you want to do it! And, I have no problem with using other people's pictures. Also, remember to put these in your password protected FSS album in your gallery for critiquing before transferring to the public gallery. We're requesting at least one piece of constructive criticism on each lo. You may want to wait to glue everything down until you've received those critiques. Up to you.

Challenge #3 (Dee's): Okay girls, I think this one is going to be pretty easy for you. Ready?

Scrap your Obsession/addiction. Is it beanie babies? Diet Coke? All things chocolate? Thickers? Show us what you can't live without!

You have two weeks to complete, so it is due 2/20/08.

Challenge #4 (Vel) Begins Feb. 20 and ends March 5. You are to scraplift a lo by the person who appears above/ahead of you on the list. Since I'm first I'll scraplift Delusional Debbi, Julie will scraplift me etc. etc. You can choose whichever lo you want, including those that have appeared in the FSS gallery. Yep, you can do another obsession lo if you really want to, just make sure it resembles the lo of the person ahead of you. By the way, please remember if you're critiquing a design element, you're also critiquing a design element from the original lo, which probably can't be changed.

New time periods, three weeks each, starts here.

Challenge #5 (Holly): Begins March 5, ends March 26; Use a magazine advertisement as your inspiration. You can use parts of it or the whole thing, it's up to you! Also post a picture/scan of the ad that inspired you so that we can see what you did with it.

Challenge #6 (Amanda): Begins March 26, ends April 16; Okay, a generational pic, THREE handmade embellies, {doodling}, visible journaling or hidden, whatever you prefer. I will send a little gifty to whomever has the MOST generations in their photograph.

Challenge #7 (Victoria): Begins April 16, ends May 7; Your challenge this time is to create a lo that is ALL black and white. You can use a color photo, but extra "points" if it's b/w. Everything else MUST be black or white.

Challenge #8 (Debbie): Begins May 7, ends May 28: You are to scrap an ITEM.......NO people in the photo! However Julie asked if there coule be a person in the supporting pictures.....and yes that would be fine....but the photo that is the main focus of your layout is to have no people in it...ok!

Challenge #9 (Richelle): Begins May 28, ends June 18: I had the idea of everyone swapping a picture that we have been wanting to scrap but maybe is having trouble with. Your partner will scrap your pic for you. (please ladies...no dirty pics)
So here is the line up. I drew names to match everyone up.

Kim and Debbie
Mel and Manda
Julie and Richelle
Jen and Vel
Victoria and Dee
Holly and Debbi

Yall can swap pics however you want. You can either send them snail mail or send them in an email and your partner can have them printed. It's up to you and your partner how you switch.
Then when the challenge is over you swap layouts.

Challenge #10 (Julie): Begins June 18, ends July 9: Step outside of the scraproom (literally) and use at least one item found in the garage, shed or junk drawer. Use items like duct tape, electrical tape, wire, drywall mesh, spackle, paint, string, burlap, screen, washers, etc. Use your imagination! Have fun & really challenge yourselves...don't cop out with painted chipboard...do something unique with that paint.

Challenge #11 (Vel): Begins July 9, ends July 30: Your mission is to choose a word from the One Little Word blog found here http://onelittleword.typepad.com/ Use that word as your title. Your title must be a one-word title and it must be one of the words found at the OLW blog (you can use any of the words there, going all the way back to the beginning). That's your only rule.

Challenge #12 (Dee): Begins July 30, ends Sept. 3: The challenge is to choose one "item" from each row to use on your lo.

**If you choose one item, you can't use the other in your creation!**

Here goes.....

- one PP or three PPs?
- 3 photos or 2 photos?
- ribbon or brads?
- chipboard or stamps?
- paint or ink?
- letter stickers or a tag?
- hand journaling or computer journaling?

CLARIFICATION: So you will choose your one of two for each of the above and then create your page.
So for instance.... my page recipe could end up being.... "one pp, 3 photos, brads, stamps, paint, letter stickers, computer journaling".

Challenge #13 (Julie): Begins Sept. 3, ends Sept. 24: It doesn't matter 'how' you use them or how many, but you must use at least two 'non-trendy' 'old school' scrappy supply or tools.

Examples: eyelet, punch, chalk, fiber, vellum, foam stamps, tag maker, stickers (non-alpha)

Challenge #14 (Victoria): Begins Sept. 24 and ends Oct. 15: I am so sick of the run of the mill titles I am seeing. My challenge will be to use an uncommon word as a title. Title Word Choices:
1.Evanescent - disappearing after only a short time and soon forgotten
2.Pirouette - a spin of the body, especially one performed in ballet on tiptoe or on the ball of one foot
3.Mellifluous - pleasant and soothing to listen to, and sweet or rich in tone
4.Archaic - no longer useful or efficient
5.Observant - paying such careful attention that little or nothing is unnoticed
6.Heedless - not paying attention to somebody or to something such as a warning, piece of advice, or danger
7.Conformist - somebody who behaves or thinks in a socially acceptable or expected way
8.Rebellious - opposing or defying authority, accepted moral codes, or social conventions
9.Mutinous- plotting, participating in, or typical of a mutiny
10.Notorious- well known for some undesirable feature, quality, or act
11.Illustrious - extremely distinguished and deservedly famous
12.Luminous - emitting or reflecting light or enlightened and inspiring
13.Routine - something that is unvarying or boringly repetitive
14.Amiable - friendly and pleasant to be with
15.Melodious- tuneful or varied and interesting in tone
16.Dulcet - pleasant to hear, especially because of being soft or soothing
17.Relentless - never slackening, but continuing always at the same intense, demanding, or punishing level
18.Adamant - very determined and not influenced by appeals to reconsider a position or decision
19.Resolute - possessing determination and purposefulness
20.Amenable - responsive to suggestion and likely to cooperate

Challenge #15: Debbi - Start date Nov. 1 (or sooner), end date Nov. 30 - Scrap those old school pics. In other words...pics that weren't taken in the last five years. Got some 70s bell bottoms and plaid shirt pics? Scrap 'em! How about 80s neon and roller skates pics? Scrap 'em!

Bumpin' Uglies swap participants: Mel, Julie, Dee, Victoria, Debbie, Vel

Paper/goodies box swap participants: Richelle, Vel, Victoria, Mel, Julie, Dee, Amanda and Holly

New paper/goodies box order beginning May '09: Julie
Manda
Holly
Richelle
Kim
Victoria
Vel

7/09 - Mel's page kit swap participants: (somehow I must've deleted these...bummer)

1/1/10 - 3/31/10 Milestones DATE challenge (Julie) - Use a milestone date (like anniversary) for your lo; the date must be on the lo somewhere.

Edited by Vel on 09-17-10 08:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

I'll check back for the questionnaire

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 06:37 AM
In response to -Melissa-

Here's the questionnaire so you can copy/paste it for your post. My next post will be my copy filled out.

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called?
2) Where are you from?
3) Family?
4) Occupation?
5) Age?
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping?
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do?
8) How would you describe your scrapping style?
9) How long have you been scrapping?
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo?
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line?
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on?
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you?
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-05-08 06:45 AM
In response to Vel

*edited out all personal info*

Edited by Vel on 11-11-10 05:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty
In response to Vel

I've subscribed! I'll check back later to do the ?aire...gotta go shopping w/mom today! Take care ladies.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? real name-Melissa
like to be called-Melissa, Mel, M (basically anything BUT Missy)

2) Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA

3) Family? just my son and I (but have a wonderful boyfriend...we do not live together)

4) Occupation? server at a microbrewery...some call me the beer wench...LOL

5) Age? 33

6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? depends...like to do at least 2 layouts a week

7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? 12x12 is my preference. Have done 8x8. Would like to try a 6x12 one of these days

How would you describe your scrapping style? innovative...maybe? You guys can answer that for me

9) How long have you been scrapping? a little over a year this time around. Only did it for a few months back in the day.

10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? I seem to always have buttons and ribbon or rick rack on my layouts

11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Love the "love elsie" stuff....she just works for me. Love Scenic Route , too

12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? would love to try/learn embossing

13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? lots of inspiration here...I could name names all day.

14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? Would love to learn some new techniques/styles. Plus looking forward to the new friendships

Can't wait to get to know all of you! Have a wonderful weekend!!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

1. What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? Julie - some of my friends call me Jules, but most of the time, Julie.

2. Where are you from? Gainesville, Florida. But I have a lot of family in Ohio - which is where I went to school.

3. Family? Just me and my husband, Dwayne. Oh & three cats - Sketch, Easter and Catilla the Hon.

4. Occupation? Purchashing Agent for architectural woodworking company.

5. Age? 38

6. How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? I'd say a good 10-12 hours.

7. What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? Most of the time 12x12, but I've recently started buying 8x8 albums.

8. How would you describe your scrapping style? I'm all over the place. I don't think I really have a defined style.

9. How long have you been scrapping? Since October 2006. But, it's so similar to paste up & layout (which I did in highschool & college in journalism courses that I picked it up pretty quickly).

10. Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? Since I tend to dabble in a little bit of everything, I don't think I'm known for anything. Am I?

11. Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? I'm really into Basic Grey right now, but Scenic Route has been sucking me in lately. I'm drawn to anything "funky fresh".

12. Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I feel there's an entire world of stamping that has yet to be explored. I have a few stamps and I piddle around with them, but I just know I could make better use of them if I only knew how.

13. Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? There are soooo many. I may like a style of one person, but love the technique of another. One single LO may inspire me, but I may not care for the rest of their gallery. I must admit that I really like ZoeDoodle's stuff and I'm thrilled she's going to be a part of our group.

14. What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? Overall, I really want honest feedback on my work. My husband will say, 'that's nice', but sometimes I need more than that. I need to know what's not quite right with it & what would you alter... because, ultimately, I'd like to try & get on a DT and/or be published.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-05-08 12:18 PM
In response to retrojulie

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? My real name is Victoria and that is what I prefer to be called. I also answer to Vickie and mom![color:purple}
2) Where are you from?I am from Portland, Oregon. I live in SE Portland. Originally I am from Everett, Washington. We have lived in Oregon for 5 years.
3) Family? My husband, Jim and my son, Preston. We also have a cat named Onyx (she is in time out right now because she sprayed in my living room)
4) Occupation? By training I am a dietitian. Currently I work as the director of an epidemiology center at a non-profit organization which focuses on improving the health of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
5) Age?Older than dirt.... 45.
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping?Lately about 2 hours a night.
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do?I usually do 12 x 12, but also 6 x 6 on occassion.
How would you describe your scrapping style?I don't know. Clean and linear? Maybe you all can help me.
9) How long have you been scrapping?A long time. I really started again when my ds was about 2, so five years.
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo?Always card stock. Double matting. I love trying something new.
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Bazzill card stock. Basic Grey , Rusty Pickle and Heidi Swapp . I use what appeals to me though.
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on?I cannot stamp for the life of me. I try and it looks okay but never really great.
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you?Lots! I love Kristy Bentley and Tessa Ann and Alycia S (rusty pickly chef)
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group?My goal is to get published and be on a design team. I need honest criticism and support from each of you.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to vawm

off to work...you girls have a wonderful night

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

I've got our blog up & running. Go check out our new digs!

http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/

I'll check in with everyone in the AM. Dinner & DH are beckoning.

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? My real name is Melissa..I don't think you'll call me what I prefer to be called..only two people have ever agreed
2) Where are you from? I'm in Colorado now, but lived in a bunch of states. In reality though, I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here
3) Family? the best dh in the world and two furbaby's
4) Occupation? all the paperwork stuff for dh's business, pampered chef, and custom scrapbooking
5) Age? I am not telling
6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? at least 28
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? I do 12x12, 8.5x11 and 6x12. I don't prefer any of them, I just pic what I think works for what I'm doing.
How would you describe your scrapping style? throw as much stuff on a page as possible
9) How long have you been scrapping? 6 years
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? journaling Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? journaling
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Basic Grey
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? there's no giving up in scrapbooking
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? ~{puppet}~, I don't want to duplicate her though. I just think she rocks. I love Riley, her doggy, too.
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

you people are already regretting giving me an invite aren't you?

Edited by Eat Sleep Scrap on 01-05-08 08:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap
In response to Eat Sleep Scrap

Hello! I can't believe I've killed the thread on day one. Just in case I didn't...I have an idea..How about we all make ATC cards introducing ourselves and then everyone gets one of each. If you all hate this idea, that' fine, just let me know.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

See now, I really thought I was scrapper savvy, but I have no idea what an ATC card is or a circle journal for that matter.

Someone needs to fill me in please.

If you need me, I'll be under my rock.

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty

1. What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? Jennifer-I go by Jeni or Jen.

2. Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA...who would've thought you'd find two of us from the same town??

3. Family? My husband, Matt and I for now (along w/our two kitties Kinsey and Kali and our dog Mookie)...and of course the little one on the way (due July 26)

4. Occupation? Coordination of Benefits specialist for a dental insurance company

5. Age? 25

6. How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? It depends on if I have plans on the weekends or not since that's primarily when I do most of my scrapping.

7. What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? 12x12

8. How would you describe your scrapping style? I think I'm still trying to find my own unique style.

9. How long have you been scrapping? Well I started scrapping when I was about 16...but it was just basic stuff. When I went to college I stopped for a while and restarted again about a year or so ago.

10. Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? I don't really think so. I like finding random thinks to add to my pages.

11. Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Not really...when I go to the sb store I have in mind what I need for a certain lo and whatever I find that fits the bill works for me.

12. Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I only own a few stamps and am pretty much afraid of them. I would love to learn how to effectivly stamp.

13. Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? Everyone! I love browsing through the gallery and looking at people's stuff!

14. What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? I hope to become a better scrapper by learning new things and getting opinions from others who actually care (unlike dh who says everything looks good...lol)

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 05:24 AM
In response to Kromkitty

Julie, I didn't know what an ATC was either so a little while back I asked. Here's the thread:
ATC thread

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Kromkitty

• Kromkitty Said:

2. Where are you from? Elizabethtown, PA...who would've thought you'd find two of us from the same town??

Do you two know one another in non-online life? That's too cool that you're from the same area.

And Elizabethtown... isn't that where Orlando Bloom filmed that movie? ~swoon~

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

WOW! Now that's crazy stuff right there! I just found out now that Jen lives right here in the same town that I do. Too cool!

Orlando Bloom's "Elizabethtown" was filmed in Elizabethtown, NJ. I wish it would have been here. Maybe he would have needed a place to stay....ROFLMBO!!!!

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-06-08 07:11 AM
In response to -Melissa-

In my neighborhood we got all excited because we thought that Jennifer Aniston's film was using our neighborhood. No such luck, it was the Oregon State Lottery filming a Christmas commercial. LOL!

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap
In response to vawm

Julie: Get out from under your rock!!!!! It's not a safe place to be.

How weird that two people live in the same place. I bet that Jennifer Aniston was there with the lottery folks, so it's ok!

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap

I have a few questions on critiques. Are we posting in the thread or in the comments section? If we are posting them in the comments sections should we start them special like FSSCG: so every one knows it's not just people randomly telling someone what is wrong with their layout (and them joining in on the fun) Do I even make sense? I think this group is an awesome group of scrappers and love that it was done by invite only.

A few random facts about my scrapping world:
I taught myself scrapbooking through Memory Makers Mag. My first layout was in my gallery, but I recently purged it out. I couldn't handle seeing it there. I've never used anything by Creative Memories. I will buy anything by Tim Holtz . I never did all those shaped pictures. Why? They weren't in Memory Makers ! That was the only place I went to for scrapbooking. I am all about the journaling. I've been on two DT's. I am currently in love with the Scenic Route Loveland Line. I may actually do a layout about it.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

I've been playing around with the album section of my gallery. It appears as though we can create an album and then put a password on it. It's then, only viewable by those who know that password.

For the sake of LO's we want critiqued... prior to making them public, we could add them to our critique albums and then post on this thread to go take a look. I think if we all set up similar albums (and all have the same password to those albums... which we'll figure out via PM's), that should keep the critique process easy.

After your satisfied with the results of the critique, delete the LO from the critique album and re-post it in the public gallery. That way no one will see all our ramblings & you start with shiny, happy, comments.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Oh, also, how many challenges a month does everyone want to do? And, in what kind of time frame do you want them to be completed in?

We're planning on posting our first official challenge mid-week, but weren't sure how long everyone would need to complete it.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 12:23 PM

I was thinking about the password protected album. I think that's a good idea. Maybe we could set the password as FSSCG (for "For Scraps Sake critique group"). Just a thought.

I could do a challenge in two weeks, but I know a lot of others are either a) in other challenges or b) have limited time. So what does everyone else think?

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap
In response to Vel

two weeks in fine by me

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty

I know..isn't it crazy that we live in the same town? We've probably passed each other in the grocery store or Kmart many times and never even knew it..funny. Small world!

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty
In response to Kromkitty

Two weeks sounds good to me too.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

Well, let's give our password Critique albums a little spin to see if it'll work. Use the password Vel suggested.

Here's a LO I'm tired of dealing with:

Jayde - Scarlett

Bring on the critiques!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 02:23 PM

hmmm, it's not working. I'm getting a box that says "no access" rather than asking for a password or anything. Odd.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

Hmmm... let me double check everything. I know some people are getting through. Eat Sleep Scrap posted and it shows over 20 views.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

I changed it to where only 'best friends' can access it, and I made sure all the scraps sake girls are designated in my friends list as so.

We're all best friends. We can have sleepovers, braid each others' hair and giggle about boys!

Eat Sleep Scrap
Queen
Eat Sleep Scrap

Julie: the album and lo are both gone.

whenvever I've used private albums, you have to actually go to the album section of the person's gallery and go in that route. A link won't work to a specific image because the album is password protected.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

Is it back? I switched it back to password - same as before.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 03:54 PM

I had to get to it by going to your gallery, then to your albums and clicking on the FSS album. It did ask me for a password, which it accepted on the second try (when I capitalized the letters) and showed me a thumbnail of the page. But when I clicked on the thumbnail I got the no access message for some reason, as well as a string of letters and numbers. No idea what's up with that.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

I got in...left you a comment

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Kromkitty

• Kromkitty Said:
I know..isn't it crazy that we live in the same town? We've probably passed each other in the grocery store or Kmart many times and never even knew it..funny. Small world!

I thought of that, too. Or at the LSS. Craziness!!! Especially since E-town isn't that big.

I think 2 weeks is great for the challenges. I work better under pressure! LOL

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

• Vel Said:
I had to get to it by going to your gallery, then to your albums and clicking on the FSS album. It did ask me for a password, which it accepted on the second try (when I capitalized the letters) and showed me a thumbnail of the page. But when I clicked on the thumbnail I got the no access message for some reason, as well as a string of letters and numbers. No idea what's up with that.

Hmmmm... not sure why you can't access it. Someone else set up a critique album & post a random pic or LO in it, maybe I just have it set up funny or something.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

I'm off to bed...it's been a LONG day! Will check in in the morning. 'Nite.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-06-08 06:10 PM
In response to -Melissa-

Got in, Julie. I think sb.com might have been having problems because when the e-mails came through the photos for your avatar weren't showing either. Anyway, left some feedback.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

Hey girls...good morning! I just thought of something. What do you guys think about exchanging addresses with each other. That way if we do the ATC's or Circle Journal or just want to pop some happy mail out to each other, we have the address? We'll have to do it in a PM, though, so it is not here for everyone to see. Just a thought...

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 06:37 AM
In response to -Melissa-

I think that's a fabulous idea.

Oops, thought I was in a pm and posted my address. Ugh, it's Monday.

We can post addresses to a pm, if you want. I'll put mine in the one we have going.

Edited by Vel on 01-07-08 06:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 06:41 AM
In response to Vel

Holy cow, I'm really struggling today. I forgot we all sort of deleted our pm we had going. I'll start a new one for addresses now.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

I'm OK posting my address here - it's not like I'm following it up with my social security number and mothers maiden name. I'll PM those.

Edited by retrojulie on 01-07-08 06:44 AM. Reason for edit: Perhaps posting my address wasn't wise.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 06:51 AM

Has anyone thought of any additional members they'd like to see in our group? Since we were originally thinking 10-15 people and we're at nine now, please feel free to send out some feelers. We want to make sure we're all on the same page, and since we'll have our first challenge soon, it'd be nice if we could get potential members in as soon as possible. Any ideas?

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

I haven't really thought about it....let me do that now

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-07-08 12:18 PM
In response to -Melissa-

Every two weeks is okay for challenges for me. I think I can keep up with that. Today I am kind of off. My DH was up in Everett checking on my dad's house and packing up stuff (my dad passed in October). I had to take the DS to school and face the traffic of conventional work hours. Yuck!! I was two hours later than my normal start time and I just am off! I hope to get back to normal asap.
Victoria

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

You know what keeps me normal? Cookies.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-07-08 02:28 PM

Hi ladies. Just wanted to post this here for you. If any of you are at all interested in ephemera (like playing cards, compasses, tarot cards etc.), the place I get my stuff (Limited Edition/Hampton Arts) has been sold and will be dismantling its Web site as of this Friday. So I think they have a sale going on (on their clear stamps too, I think). If I wasn't so broke (after Christmas stinks, doesn't it?) I'd be gobbling up whatever they've got. Anyway, I wanted to post the link just in case anyone's interested.

Limited Edition

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-07-08 10:19 PM

• retrojulie Said:
You know what keeps me normal? Cookies.

Send 'em on over!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

Good Morning Girls!

Are we ready to jump into our first challenge?

Since this will be our first challenge and, for most of us, the first time being in a critique group, we’re going to continue with the ‘first’ theme.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I’m showing someone new my albums, I always apologize when they come upon my first layout. I feel the need to explain that it was my first ever attempt at scrapbooking. It’s not a horrible layout, it’s just nothing that I’m proud of showing off.

I also know that for most of us, we wouldn’t dream of tearing it apart and doing it again. It’s kind of a pat on the back, a ‘look at how far I’ve come’ kind of thing. So, we’re not asking you to do that.

The challenge will be to take those same pictures from your first ever layout – scan them in or get reprints – and re-do your first layout using the methods and skills you’ve picked up through the years. You can do the same general idea as the first, or you can clear the slate and do a completely different kind of page. We don’t care… we just want to see what you’d change if you could.

If you want to dabble in digital, this would be a great time to do that. We’ll take digi or traditional LO’s for this challenge.

We would never dream of asking you to post your first LO in your gallery, but we won’t let you off the hook … so I’m asking that you email a scan of your LO to me at [email protected] I’m going to post them on our blog (http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/). Once we’ve all completed the challenge, I’ll then post the new & improved LO next to your original. No one will critique your original LO, I think most of us are the biggest critique of own anyway – besides, do we really want someone telling us how bad that first layout truly is?

This challenge is only for fun. It’s a chance for us to get to know one another better, laugh together & see what a great group of women we’ve gathered together. Since everyone agreed that two weeks should be enough time, let’s agree to have our new & improved LO’s posted (or emailed to me) by the end of day, Wednesday, January 23rd.

Be thinking of the next possible challenge or swap or whatever… this is a group effort, so if you have a great idea for us, speak up! We can do challenges by whoever comes up with one first, or we can go in alphabetical order, or however is best.

When you email me, please put something in the subject line that makes it very clear you are not spam. I get a lot of junk mail and go delete wild if I don’t recognize a sender.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-

What a great challenge!!!! My first layout is actually in my gallery. Here's to hoping I do it more justice this time around

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to -Melissa-

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/130187/view /573565/-...

Here's my first....LOL

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-08-08 06:02 AM
In response to -Melissa-

I love this idea, Julie. And I love the twist that we don't have to take it apart. Mine's in my gallery too. It's pretty sad, but it could've been worse. At least I didn't have sticker sneeze.

I will be remaking mine using digi. For those of you who didn't know, I was one of the winners of the FotoFusion digital scrapbooking software so I've been kind of dabbling in it. It's a great way to get ideas or create sketches for paper LOs.

Julie, I'll e-mail you my LOs when I get home from work.

Thanks for a great challenge!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

Ha! A sticker sneeze... I hadn't heard that. Luckily I've been able to steer clear of Sticko's and don't have them on one single layout. I think it's the prismy look that's never sucked me in.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-08-08 06:38 AM

Great challenge. When is it due? Two weeks?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

Yes, by the 23rd.

I'll have my first ever LO posted to the blog later this evening for viewing enjoyment & entertainment.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-08-08 07:04 AM

Excellent. I will look forward to it, as much as I am sure you will be looking forward to mine! LOL!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

• brewerygirlmel Said:

You're certainly braver than I. It's in your gallery & all. I love how yours is a prime example of why you'd never tear it apart. The orignal announcement & newspaper clipping - it'd be a shame to mess those up. I'm very interested in seeing your 'redo'!

Kromkitty
Diva
Kromkitty

Ooo...this will be fun...I don't even know what my first lo was...I'll have to go digging through the old sb's....

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Kromkitty

Good morning!!! Anything new and exciting going on today? Anyone have any ideas of how to use the pictures on my first layout without tearing them off the page? Unfortunately, they weren't digital pics, so they are the only copy HELP ME!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-09-08 05:23 AM
In response to -Melissa-

Melissa, try scanning your page, either the whole thing or just the portion where the pics are. Make sure it's on the highest quality setting. Then open the page up and crop it down to just the photos. The quality won't be the best possible, but it should work. Can you print the photos at home?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

I agree with Vel... definitely try scanning them in. That's what I did with all of my wedding pictures. Our photographs were all taken by guests or one of our friends. In my original photo album, I'd cut them into shapes and really did some damage to them by sticking them in one of those peel & stick albums.

When I decided to scrap them & actually do them some justice, I scanned all of them in, cropped them into 4X6's and printed out new ones for my LO's.

Some of our first LO's and a re-do have been posted to the blog. http://forscrapssake.blogspot.com/

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

I didn't even think of that....thanks! I can print them at home, but I need to get ink. I always put off spending the money for ink. Especially when I can buy so much scrappy stuff instead! I can just save them and put them on disk and take to WallyWorld to print.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle

Hello ladies....

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

Julie invited me over.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-09-08 10:28 AM
In response to Richelle

Hi Richelle...so glad you joined us! Jump right in and join the challenge.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? My name is Richelle. Just like Michelle but with a R
2) Where are you from? West Virginia, I am a hillbilly at heart!
3) Family? I am enjoying being a newlywed! I just got married in November. I live with my DH and our two cats
I have two brother who I am very close too. A sister, she has a son Alex. He is 3 and the sunshine in my life!
My mom and her mom live close by. I am pretty close to them as well.
4) Occupation? working for the man
5) Age? 25 3/4
6.) how many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? no less then 6
7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? I prefer 12x12 but the 8x8 ones are fun
How would you describe your scrapping style? bold, fun
9) How long have you been scrapping? about 10 years
10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? I ALWAYS layer things. People comment on it a lot in my gallery.
11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? Basic Grey
12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I want to stamp more, I like too. I just don't ever do it!
13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? I have several but I LOVE scrapperlicious.
14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? new techniques and friends

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Richelle

Richelle!

(feel like you're Norm on Cheers? That's what I was goin' for...)

Yes, I invited Richelle into our circle. I'm hoping she'll join our group.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-09-08 10:37 AM

At the same time as Julie
Richelle!

What a beautiful photo in your avatar.

Julie I am liking the retro avatars! They appeal to the 1950 home owner in me! LOL!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle

hmm....about the new challenge.
I used scissors a lot then. I don't know how I am going to do this....

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

Thanks Victoria!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

I haven't found the *one* yet, I plan to keep looking, but I really don't have a lot of good pics of myself that I want to see everytime I post a comment.

I strongly believe that I was born too late. I so should have been a 50's housewife. Vacuuming in pearls and stilettos! Come on!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

LOL!
I totally got that vibe Julie!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Richelle

• Richelle Said:
hmm....about the new challenge.
I used scissors a lot then. I don't know how I am going to do this....

There is no escaping. Your first LO *will* be on display with the rest of them.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

I switch my avatar all the time.
I normally don't do pics of myself but I just love the pics from the wedding. Our photographer was da bomb!

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-09-08 10:42 AM

So Julie, should we begin refering to you as "June", as in June Cleaver???

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

LOL!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

• vawm Said:
So Julie, should we begin refering to you as "June", as in June Cleaver???

I'm more of a Donna Reed gal.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle

I will have to do some looking. I don't even remember my first layout. it should be fun to get them all out.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Richelle

so do we have a deadline for the challenges?

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 01-09-08 10:49 AM

Most excellent! You would love my house! It was built in 1949 and still has a lot of the original features. Tile, linoleum, etc. We even have knotty pine in the basement, with a bar with a red linoleum top and silver sides.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Richelle

Yes, we've mutually agreed that two weeks should be sufficient. So, our first LO Re-Do's are due by the 23rd of January.

I don't know if you've worked your way all the way through the thread, but this is a group effort. If you come up with ideas or challenges, speak up!

If you also know of someone that you'd like to invite into the group, we encourage yo to do so. All we ask is that they're not beginners and that they're not old sticks in the mud. This also still goes for our original invitees. Don't forget, you're also welcome to invite another in.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to vawm

Ooo, Victoria, I would love your house. We actually considered purchasing a 1950's home when we were looking. We're drawn to the architecture where the roofs are completely flat. We had so many people tell us how horrible the upkeep was that we purchased a newer home instead.

I'm a big fan of the atomic starbursts, boomerang countertops, funky shades of bathroom tiles (yes... Vel, I know ) and Eames furniture. Love it all!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle

Morning ladies!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Richelle

Good Morning.

Currently trying to convince myself to leave the house, my boss is not the devil & that I *will* eat the lunch I packed and not resort to Sonic in order to ease the pain of the work day.

So far... I've got my shoes on.

So, how's everyone coming with our re-do's? I printed my pics last night, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-10-08 04:24 AM
In response to Richelle

Morning all! Home sick from work today so I'm hoping I'll get some scrapping done.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to Vel

Good morning everyone!!

Hi Richelle!!! Wow, see what happens when a girl has to go to work! Welcome...looking forward to having you with us.

Julie....mmm Sonic!! I'm such an enabler! I've got my redo in my head. Just gotta get the pics scanned. Heck, I could draw stick figures and it would look better than my first page

Vel....sorry you are sick!! Here's to a speedy recovery!

I have an idea of someone I would like to join. It is my friend Dee. We were in a circle journal together and have been friends for about a year now....here's her place http://www.scrapbook.com/profiles/35612.html

Let me know!!! I know that she would love to work with this group and grow along with all of us.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-10-08 05:22 AM
In response to -Melissa-

• brewerygirlmel Said:
Good morning everyone!!

I have an idea of someone I would like to join. It is my friend Dee. We were in a circle journal together and have been friends for about a year now....here's her place http://www.scrapbook.com/profiles/35612.html

Let me know!!! I know that she would love to work with this group and grow along with all of us.

Well, hop to it! I think she'd be a great addition. And thanks for the well wishes.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

Well... I'm here (at work). Bleh.

Vel, sorry you're feeling puny. ~rubbing tummy~ Wait! I'm also feeling puny... maybe I should go home.

Melissa, I say bring her in! I love her style - very fun. She'd make a great addition.

I've been reading up on circle journals... they could be fun. What I don't understand is who keeps it. If we did a circle journal (which would rock, btw), do we do multiple copies so everyone gets one? I don't understand...

And ATC's, what's the point? What do you do with them? I know you give them to others, but what do they do with them? Again, not understanding.

Just trying to fill our bag of tricks for future swaps & group projects.

Idol

Good Morning! I'm Darlene (or Dee). Melissa invited me. This looks like fun! Can't wait to get started.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to ...........

Welcome!

I see you're from Jacksonville. I'm currently in Gainesville, but lived & worked in Jacksonville for several years. I was an AP Clerk at Barnett. Loved living in Jacksonville - always something to do.

Idol

1) What is your real name/what do you liked to be called? Darlene Brown - you can call me Dee instead of having to type out my name...lol

2) Where are you from? Hilliard, FL - 40 miles NE of Jacksonville

3) Family? Husband Web, and 4 yr old dd Adrienne or AJ

4) Occupation? part time A/P clerk
5) Age? 32

6) How many hours a week do you typically spend scrapping? Typically? about 10

7) What size LOs do you prefer/do you do? I prefer 12x12 but I would like to try a different size for fun

How would you describe your scrapping style? Ummm, it's pretty simple, fast

9) How long have you been scrapping? since 2002

10) Do you have a product or technique you’re known for? Or what do you always seem to turn to when you’re putting together a lo? Nothing I'm KNOWN for, but I like to layer and use as many papers from a line as possible! LOL

11) Do you have a favorite manufacturer or product line? KI, Reminisce and many many more

12) Is there a technique you’d love to learn or have tried and gave up on? I'm not so good with stamping and I would like to learn to sew on a page

13) Is there someone on sb.com or elsewhere whose style you love or whose LOs inspire you? Not one person in particular...I can look thru galleries for HOURS on end and be in awe of the great stuff in there.

14) What do you hope to gain from being in the For Scraps Sake group? Hopefully a little more confidence about my work, and tweak my style, therefore becoming a better scrapper.

Idol

Hi Julie! yeah we're not too far from each other. I work for a small construction company. I just started working part time in Aug b/c I put DD in preschool.

-Melissa-
Angel
-Melissa-
In response to ...........

Hi Dee So glad you joined us!!! This is going to be so much fun!

Off to see what I can do with that first layout....LOL

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-10-08 07:15 AM
In response to -Melissa-

Hi Dee and welcome to our group!

Julie had a great idea and I'd like to be the first to partake. She suggested we take a lo or two that we've done recently and put it in our private, For Scraps Sake gallery to be critiqued by the other ladies. I've just done that with one of mine. Here's the link to that folder: FSS folder If that doesn't work, go to my gallery, to the albums, and look for the For Scraps Sake album.
Don't forget, we're password protecting those galleries, so if you've forgotten the password, pm me and I'll give it to you.
So what I'm looking for is a top to bottom, what would I have done, kind of thing. Paper suggestions, title, placement, the works. I'm not going to take the page apart but it'll give me great ideas for next time.
Anyone else game? Feel like a little constructive criticism?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to -Melissa-

OK Ladies...

It's time to put on our big girl panties! We need to get comfortable offering critiques on one anothers' LO's.

If you haven't already done so, please set up your For Scrap Sakes Critique Album along with the password as was suggested the other day.

Place a copy of a LO that is currently in your gallery (any LO, it doesn't matter - it can be one of your faves or one that you never felt was right). Again, make it a copy of the LO - we don't want to mess up your "glowing comments" with our critiques.

Positive comments are always welcome, and we definitely encourage those. For this side-challenge, however, we will insist that you leave at least one constructive criticism type comment on every LO that is posted in a critique album.

We're hoping this little exercise will make us more comfortable in critiquing. Don't be scared to be the first comment either... someone has to start!

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

Ha! Vel is fast when she's sick! Ignore my duplicate post.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie

I've just updated my critique album - bring on the critiques!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-10-08 08:18 AM

Hey, Julie. Is there a way on our blog to put a list? What I'm thinking is, if we all could do a Word document or something like that with a list of our favorite non- sb.com stores and maybe a mini review, compile it and add it to our blog. There may be some overlap, but that's OK too. I have a ton of stores I love and I can find good deals at (great sales, low shipping, good customer service, nice selection, perks etc.) that I'd love to share with the FSS gals. Think that's possible? I could get started on mine today while I'm home (since my scrap mojo has apparently left the building).

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

I'm sure there is. I know that I can do links - which I've added a few.

Are you talking like something similar to the superstore here? Like, click on the link and then it takes you to another page which goes more in depth?

Or are you talking about a recommendation with the link TO the store (or whatever). Kind of like a link within the text?

Brewerygirl has offered to help with any blog related questions... she's somewhat familiar with the workings. Melissa?

Anyone else know? Hey! I believe our newest member is blog savvy too.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-10-08 08:38 AM

Or are you talking about a recommendation with the link TO the store (or whatever). Kind of like a link within the text?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Like make it a blog entry, where all you have to do is copy and paste what we've sent you, aside from creating the link to the store. Would that be an extraordinary amount of work for you?

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Vel

No, I think it could be accomplished fairly easily. There's an "about me" section that is currently unused and that would be a good spot for it. That way it doesn't get lost in all the blog and eventually nothing more than a topic in the archive.

If I use the 'about me' section, it should always stay towards the top of the blog.

I guess all we can do is try, right?

Page 1 of 632 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics