Username Post: Sure Cuts A Lot?        (Topic#1455537)
DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

I tried looking for the post on this..my head started spinning after page 12 lol
I hate to be a "repeat asker" but who here has used it? Why will it void your warranty with Cricut? And most of all...does it WORK? I just downloaded it...haven't used it yet but I'd like to give it a try. If the font I use is cursive...will it cut it that way? Or will the letters be seperated. If this program works it'll be worth EVERY penny...I'm a Font-o-Holic...so I have TONS of fonts
Thanks!

mhjudge32
Expert
mhjudge32
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I have no idea what this is but I saw a comment about it on here on the cricut thread.

marine-wife
Guru
marine-wife

It does void your warranty. I downloaded it, but havent used it yet. My USB port is all funky and needs to be fixed next week. Also you need to have the Cricut version 1.1 to be able to use it, not the 1.0. If you are not sure which version you have turn your Cricut on and it will come up on the screen

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to marine-wife

How does it void your warranty? How would they know you use Sure Cuts a Lot? Sorry for a dumb question ... ??

scrapbooksuzieq
Pro
scrapbooksuzieq
In response to peenut_23

ok what is "sure cuts alot? I have never heard of this before. Thanks

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie

This info was on the Cricut Website about Sure Cut A Lot. Just thought I would pass it on:

If you do decide to use it...
1) it 100% VOIDs any warranty on the cricut machines
2) Upgrades/Updates to CDS may cause the SCA to stop working.
3)Changes made by the program can cause your cricut to not function properly or not work at all and you have no warranty to fall back on.

Provo craft is NOT affiliated with the program manufacturers in any way but they are very aware that people are downloading and using it.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Ms Jackie

Good question..how will they know?
I can see why they don't want people usining it..you wouldn't need to buy their cartridges
I sooooooo wanna try it...but I don't wanna blow up my Cricut

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

I would really like to see some of the things people have cut with this program.

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie

• DittoBabyGirl Said:
Good question..how will they know?
I can see why they don't want people usining it..you wouldn't need to buy their cartridges
I sooooooo wanna try it...but I don't wanna blow up my Cricut

I don't know, however, I do know with DSS I keep having to update the firmware. I understood when I switch from my baby to Expression. But I had to end the middle of a cut. And I haven't added anything new.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 03-08-08 09:20 PM
In response to Ms Jackie

Maybe Cricut should figure out from this, that people love thier product but the carts are too high priced...

just a thought.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to ScrappinPassion

I'm thinking thats why they'll void the warranty

~*~Kathie~*~
Diva
~*~Kathie~*~

They won't know that you are using it until your Cricut malfunctions and you send it in for warranty work to be done. Then they will know and refuse to repair or replace it free.

scrappinpeach
Expert
scrappinpeach
In response to ~*~Kathie~*~

i h used this and so far it works great

Resident
In response to scrappinpeach

An update was just realized that welds the letters together.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23

I still don't know how they'd know you were using it ... ? If you don't tell them? Even if something happens to your Cricut, I'm sure you aren't going to advertise that you've been using Sure Cuts a Lot?

And about the notices on their site, yes, of course they'll put that things may happen ... things may but what is the likelihood? Has anyone experienced this from using the program? They are probably just trying to scare people. They are probably hard at work developing their own program (I hope anyway!).

scrappinpeach
Expert
scrappinpeach
In response to peenut_23

I just downloaded the update and it just keeps getting better. yu can weld and now they have a window so that you can see your fonts
This is great, because I like using the dingbats for various shapes and now i can see them. Yaaay

PEIgirl
Guru
PEIgirl

I have it and use it...it works just fine! Love it! It's doesn't weld the letters together yet but apparenlty they are working on that option.

I don't give a hoot if voids my cricut warranty... not that they can probably tell. My cricut is almost two years old now so they wouldn't likely cover anything anyways. ....and no it didn't blow up.

PEIgirl
Guru
PEIgirl

• scrappinpeach Said:
I just downloaded the update and it just keeps getting better. yu can weld and now they have a window so that you can see your fonts
This is great, because I like using the dingbats for various shapes and now i can see them. Yaaay

ooooohhhh...I have to update mine!! YAY!! They sure are fast at responding to customer needs. That rocks!

Also, for those of you have only version 1.0, so did I. If you have design studio it has you update your firmware so that fixes that problem.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to PEIgirl

Ok...so I finally got it to work...I updated my firmware cause it wasn't recognizing that was Critcut was hooked up
I go to print and it goes bezerk on me...starts cutting big jaggered lines..so I stopped it midway
I'm ascaird to try it again but I really, really WANT to use my own fonts
I also downloaded a trial of Design Studio...I don't get it. If you can only use the carts that you already have whats the point?

achollen
Veteran
achollen

I have this software and LOVE it, I will never have to buy another cart again! If you want they have a forum over at Craftedge, just go take a peek, there is alot of information on there. And there are discussions of "voiding" the warenty, ofcourse like many said here, it's a computer program, not a new machine, so not sure how they could tell you were using the SCA software?

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to achollen

Thanks! I'll go check it out :-)

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c

What are you all paying for the sure cuts program?

New Kid On the Block
In response to achollen

My wife and I use Sure Cuts A Lot with no problems after updating the firmware on the Cricut using the demo version of ProvoCraft's own Cricut Design Studio (so you are NOT hacking the Cricut, if that's what you are afraid of) to fix a problem with the blade dragging a little.

I am also a computer sotware developer, so I wanted to offer my opinion on the use of the software voiding the warranty: you are not modifying the Cricut at all to get Sure Cuts A Lot to work, so the only way they could tell is if you had to send it back for repair in the first year (length of the warranty) AND they pay some guy there at least $20/hr to dump the memory of the last cutting instructions sent to the Cricut and do forensics to see if they are non-Provocraft instructions for EVERY Cricut that gets sent to them. I highly doubt they are going to do that - it would not be cost-effective for them in any way. This is in addition to others comments that many of us are probably past the warranty period anyway.

Sure Cuts A Lot is extremely useful though. You can cut most any font you can get your hands on, anything you can draw in InkScape for free, any SVG file you find on the internet (WikiMedia, for one) when you take a simple one and dumb it down in InkScape (make sure to use Preview in SCAL before you cut). The possibilities are endless.

New Kid On the Block
In response to techSage

All that said, the last question on this thread was about what people are paying for Sure Cuts A Lot. We got the download-only version for $63 in May using a coupon code, but now it's $90 for the CD version and $75 for the download-only version from CraftEdge.com. I've seen it for $60 $54 (with coupon code CKCROP) for the CD version lately at CandaCraft.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to techSage

Actually, I just got it for $55.99 at Cutters Creek. That's w/ free delivery. Can't wait!

Also, If anyone has Leopard and is trying to download Inkscape and it doesn't work--I worked on it for a while--got frustrated--but finally figured it out. PM me if you need directions.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to peenut_23

• peenut_23 Said:
I still don't know how they'd know you were using it ... ? If you don't tell them? Even if something happens to your Cricut, I'm sure you aren't going to advertise that you've been using Sure Cuts a Lot?

And about the notices on their site, yes, of course they'll put that things may happen ... things may but what is the likelihood? Has anyone experienced this from using the program? They are probably just trying to scare people. They are probably hard at work developing their own program (I hope anyway!).

Just like you can find out what people have done on their computers PC can find out what you have done with your Cricut. It's kind of like a mini computer and when you dl sure scraps a lot it leaves info in your Cricut.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to NMlady

I love my SCAL! But I have to admit...I still buy carts too. I just can't pass up a good deal.Plus I like being able to use the Cricut without have t hook it up to my laptop...sometimes thats a pain.

New Kid On the Block
In response to scraperfect

Actually, I just got it for $55.99 at Cutters Creek. That's w/ free delivery.

I found out there's a coupon code for Sure Cuts A Lot at Candacraft right now that makes it $54 and there's an option to get the serial number emailed to you so you can start to use the program right away and still get your CD later. The code is: CKCROP

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to achollen

heres an even dumber question; how do you connect your cricut to the compuer :/

New Kid On the Block
In response to imajellybeanx

That's not a dumb question. The USB port on the back is a little bit hidden next to the power jack on the back, but it lets you connect a USB cable (the kind you use for a printer; called an A to B USB cable) from the Cricut to the computer to use the program.

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to techSage

is that the same usb cable used for say like a camera?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to NMlady

Just like you can find out what people have done on their computers PC can find out what you have done with your Cricut. It's kind of like a mini computer and when you dl sure scraps a lot it leaves info in your Cricut.

Not sure if this is correct... If it did something to the firmware inside the cricut, you could just reload the firmware from the PC site like you have to do before using SCAL. Also, I wrote to craftedge (maker of scal) and they said
ProvoCraft has stated using any 3rd party anything (software, mat , blades, etc..) will void your warranty.
It is unlikely that SCAL would damage your Cricut as it does not modify it in any way. It just communicates with the machine to tell it what to cut.

"The only way to modify the machine is to update the firmware and you can only do that with ProvoCraft's Design Studio.

Sincerely
- Todd Simmons"

New Kid On the Block
In response to imajellybeanx

No, usually a USB cable for a camera will usually have a tiny end shaped like this:

/'''''''\
'''''''''''
and a rectangular one that plugs into your computer.

The one you need has an eraser-head sized end like this:

/'''''''\
|___| and the rectangular one that plugs into your computer.

Does that help?

New Kid On the Block
In response to scraperfect

Not sure if this is correct...

I agree, that comment was a bit exagerrated; it sounds like Provocraft is getting people to post this to scare people - I've seen it on other forums. The update you have to do to the firmware is using Provocraft's own software, so Sure Cut's A Lot doens't make a change to that part of the Cricut. I am a computer software developer and I can tell you that the only way they *might* be able to tell is if the memory chip that holds the cutting instructions that you send to the Cricut while the job is cutting retains those instructions when you power off the Cricut (usually not) AND Provocraft pays someone at least $20/hr to dump these instructions off of EVERY Cricut that comes in for service AND analyzes them to see if they are non-Provocraft instructions.

In addition, the warranty is either 90 days or 1 year (depending on what may break on the Cricut), so most people are past that point anyway.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to techSage

What you need to hook your Cricut to your puter is the USB cable you'd use to hook up a printer to your puter. I just use the cable that I bought for my photo printer.

oldmissb
Mayor
oldmissb
In response to peenut_23

IMO they already have their own program, after all they did install USB ports on the machine. If they can develope software to allow you to use only your cart that you already own to weld etc, then they can or ALREADY have this software too.

It all about them making the $50+ per cart they sell.

My DH is a computer guy and SCAL is installed on your PC not your cricut so he says they would not know unless you told them, or by some chance they searched into the memory. He says a memoery flash would erase that. But even so isnt the warranty only good for 1 year anyway.

Walmart sells both versions, so who says one couldnt go out and buy another machine, switch out the machines and return the broken one to the store. That is if by chance something happens to the machine using the SCAL. Myself I cant wait to get it.

cArAzzIE
New Kid On the Block
cArAzzIE
In response to oldmissb

Hooking your Cricut up to your computer is like hooking up your printer to your computer.

You can hook up any printer you have the drivers for...and it doesn't change the printer.

Same idea with the Cricut. As previously said, the USB cable is the same generic USB cable used for a printer. The one you get with DS is just "prettied up" with the Cricut emblem.

I haven't purchased SCAL yet...but I've downloaded "INK" to learn how to use it before I purchase SCAL. I haven't used my Cricut without my computer...I guess I'm a control freak and want to control every aspect of what I'm cutting and how much paper I'll waste/use.

cArAzzIE
New Kid On the Block
cArAzzIE
In response to oldmissb

• oldmissb Said:
IMO they already have their own program, after all they did install USB ports on the machine. If they can develope software to allow you to use only your cart that you already own to weld etc, then they can or ALREADY have this software too.

It all about them making the $50+ per cart they sell.

My DH is a computer guy and SCAL is installed on your PC not your cricut so he says they would not know unless you told them, or by some chance they searched into the memory. He says a memoery flash would erase that. But even so isnt the warranty only good for 1 year anyway.

Walmart sells both versions, so who says one couldnt go out and buy another machine, switch out the machines and return the broken one to the store. That is if by chance something happens to the machine using the SCAL. Myself I cant wait to get it.

Amen sister! Can I get a WITNESS!!

Edited by cArAzzIE on 07-23-08 01:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

beanie
beanie 
Resident
beanie

It can not void you warrenty as you are not putting anything on the Cricut. That is like Dell saying you can't load any other program on your computer.... if you have any questions feel free to IM me or email me
I also have a 10% off coupon for anyone who wants to buy scal

Edited by beanie on 07-28-08 06:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

beanie
beanie 
Resident
beanie

Here is a link to some images cut with SCAL
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Su re%20Cuts...

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to beanie

Know what I find really funny?
On the Cricut message board they openly talk about using SCAL lol
Cricut doesn't have to worry about me...in the last 2 weeks I bought 6 carts and Design Studio
I know...I'm an addict

jacquie44
Expert
jacquie44

Ok I am brand new to the Cricut and to all of the tools everyone uses, so I am looking for a link for the SCAL so I can try the trial proggie can anyone help me with this?

Jacquie in Central Illinois

New Kid On the Block
In response to jacquie44

You can download the trial directly from the manufacturer, CraftEdge:
http://craftedge.com/download/download.html

CandaCraft.com has a good deal on it, too, if/when you are looking to buy.

Amonika
Expert
Amonika
In response to achollen

I've heard it voids the warranty but I don't understand how. DH says that it might leave an imprint but the research Provocraft would have to do in order to find that imprint wouldn't be cost effective. He thinks it would be cheaper to fix the machine then to look at the hard(firm)ware "imprint" to make sure you weren't using SCAL. I have it, I love it, and so far I'm not having a problem. I love using it. Its very easy and user friendly.

MTwich 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Amonika

I love SCAL. I came across it earlier this year and to be honest with you I could do without my Cricut now if I didn't have to use it to cut out for SCAL. I have downloaded over 3000 FREE fonts/Dingbats. There are sooooo many that are exact to almost exact to the cartridges for Cricut. SCAL does do welding and shadowing. One of the things I love about it is I can create titles on my laptop at my leisure and then cut them out when I am ready. I honestly think it is the best investment (second to the Cricut itself for cutting) for scrapbookers. I think it is worth all the money. There is a small learning curve to it - but nothing that can't be figured out.

New Kid On the Block
In response to achollen

The reason you have big jagged lines is the svg file you imported is not broken apart and the vectors that are connected are cutting. You really need to know how to use these programs. By spend 30 to 40 hours playing and learning you can create almost any type of cut out you want. If your cricut needs an update just download cricut design studio to get the updates. I paid $64 dollars for the design studio just to find out you can only use the cartridges you have. If you read the cricut warranty they never say how long it is. I can't believe it is a lifetime warranty most electronics are for 1 year. Anybody know the length of the warranty. Sure Cuts A Lot works my cartridges work, no problem.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Annie_P

I looked this up for something else not long ago,,,,the warranty is 1 year long,,,,,,

Holly

lzell 
New Kid On the Block
  • lzell on 04-05-09 11:10 AM

You've probably heard this by now. But it is worth every penny. It does everything it says. You can 'weld' letters for one piece titles, both script and print fonts, cut all those ding bats, and more. It exceeded my expectations in its' ability to cut details. I, too am a font ******** and this is the perfect thing. No more punches, no more money spent on cartridges. (the only one you need is the one that comes with it) I bought my Cricut and SCAL software the same day.

MyCricutBuddy
New Kid On the Block
MyCricutBuddy
In response to jacquie44

jacquie44,

We have some write-ups that may help answer any questions you may have about SCAL. We compare it to Design Studio, bust some myths about SCAL, and give some creative ways to use SCAL (other than just cutting paper).

We also guarantee to have the lowest price. If you find it cheaper somewhere else, we will beat it.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding SCAL and I'll be glad to help.

Jereme
www.MyCricutBuddy.com

JennAboo
Expert
JennAboo
In response to achollen

I have Sure Cuts Alot and I do like it. It is definatly worth the money. I totaly understand that cricut would not want you to use this program because as mentioned it may decrease thier sales. However, at this point, I own a video store and even though I feel the same way about my competitors and downloading movies, and ppv, ppl still do it if they feel it is more convienant and saves them money. So hey, I am for saveing money too. I don't feel like they are loseing money from me however, because I rarely if ever have bought a new cartrige. I have got a few from purchaseing 2 cricuts, and from the rebate they offered on the expression. The others I usually by from an auction site. Now cricut does have a program you can DL also but you still have to pay for the programs you are useing seprately just like if you bought cartriges. Hope that helps. If you need to know anything else feel free to PM me.

JennAboo
Expert
JennAboo
In response to JennAboo

Oh by the way. I am not that computer savey, so unfortunaley, I have not mastered the scal thing yet. I would like to use it more but just get stuck.

babybutterfly521
Tenant
babybutterfly521
In response to JennAboo

Do you have to have a certain version of windows to use this program?

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-26-10 06:05 AM
In response to babybutterfly521

for your request of things cut with SCAL....I actually have SCAL2 which is AWESOME

Blue Horizons By J3Mel

I downloaded a free file for the dolphin. It was a 2 layer cut and I added some ink

Shamu's Happy Harbor By J3Mel

with SCAL 2 you can trace images yourself. I saved a coloring page of a whale and did a trace and made a two layer cut for this page. I sized him big enough to go across a two page layout.

I have had SCAL since a week after I bought my cricut. I still buy an occasional cartridge but I also have a jump drive that I have well over 200 files on both for diecuts like these shown and cards. You get two copies with your downloadable purchase so I have it on my desktop in my scraproom and a laptop which I take to crops. I just store my files on a jump drive and can use on either machine.

SCAL2 and my cricut are my most used scrapping tool and help me use up loads of scraps while scrapping.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-26-10 06:07 AM
In response to j3Mel

I forgot to add.....it took me about 4 hours worth of video tutorials to figure out my SCAL2 trace and design my own files.....well well worth the time spent because coloring pages make the BEST paper piecings and it takes less time to trace and cut in SCAL than it ever did making my own by hand before.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-26-10 06:08 AM
In response to j3Mel

Page Candy Swap - cat By J3Mel

another coloring page trace and cut using SCAL2

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-26-10 06:10 AM
In response to j3Mel

all the car bingo pieces are cut from dingbat files using SCAL2. I cut the paper and the magnetic sheet both on my cricut

Travel games By J3Mel

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-26-10 06:13 AM
In response to j3Mel

you can also buy thousands of files very cheap. I think I paid 3 dollars for one that had these birdhouses....

BOAF swap 2 By J3Mel

the download itself had way more files that that but I just used those for a swap.

the feather is a free download

BOAF swap 1 By J3Mel

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to j3Mel

I just got an expression a few week ago and SCAL about a week ago. I still reading and playing,but hopefully I'll get the hang of both soon.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics