Page 24 of 25 
Username Post: Virtual Crop Week #57 Baby, It's WARM outside!        (Topic#1458675)
daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to Scrappygal50

Hi! Been away from here for a few days.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

When I was little, my family raised chickens. They were my friends. I talked to them and named them. I always took off on my bike and rode for hours when my parents would butcher. I would never eat them either. Couldn't eat chicken for YEARS.
I had fried chicken for dinner tonight, though!

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Going to try to catch up a little.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to daezee

Hi Monica!

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to moxiegirl23

Hi Liz! You're still up! How are you?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to daezee

I'm good. I'll be up for about 15 more minutes- I've got a customer over.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

Aww...Monica that must have been hard. I would not have done well with that. I had a roommate that raised a pig fo 4h. The pig was sold at the county fair to her next door neighbors. This pig was her buddy (think Charlotte's web) and the neighbors invited her over to a pig roasting. As an adult she still talks about it like it was traumatic to have to see her pet pig like that.

It is really a subject that I feel wierd about. I mean...I eat animals... so I should be ok with it.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee

• moxiegirl23 Said:
I'm good. I'll be up for about 15 more minutes- I've got a customer over.

Fun! It's getting ready to storm again here. I may have to take off if the lightning starts. I hear thunder.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to daezee

I remember my mother bought herself a rabbit fur coat one year for her birthday. She took it back the following week because my brother and I got rabbits for pets and she felt guilty.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to Vivian loves BLING

• Bling Fairy Vivian Said:
  • riorabbit Said:
Aww... I my doggy. When I came home from the computer lab last night roomie was shut in her room with her dog so he was all alone and my door was shut (he likes to go in my room if I am not here. It is comforting to him, but roomie's dog eats my things. So it is to be shut if her dog is here and we are both gone...not if her dog is shut in her room and mine is alone. )

He ran up to greet me and was so excited. Then I opened the door while I was getting some stuff done. He plopped on my bed and waited for me. Seemed almost as happy to see my bed as me. Then I sat down on the bed and he curled up next to me while I chatted some and was so cute. Finally ended up falling a sleep and he cuddled all night. He is still cuddling right now. Gotta love my little cuddle bug. I just love how he loves to be so close to me.

That's so sweet. I miss not letting Jewel roam our house. She'd normally end up at my feet.

BUT since dh insists upon the goats "mowing" the back yard, and Jewel being a beagle mix. Well, she likes to roll in fresh goat poop. Just something beagles do. So I'd have to bath her every time she comes in. Otherwise, she's only allowed into the utility room.

We have a gate on the utility room door. I've had guests go, "OH! What a cute doggie!" and pet Jewel. I'd just smile and tell them, "you really need to wash your hands after petting her." They'd look at me really funny until I tell them why. Don't worry she still gets lots of loving.

Oh, have any of you seen this product?

http://www.peticure.com/

I'm seriously thinking of ordering it. I hate those pet nail clippers but unsure of this product.

I've never seen that Viv, but I had a friend who was a professional dog groomer and he used to use a Dremel to trim the dog and cat nails. That would be similar.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Aww...Monica that must have been hard. I would not have done well with that. I had a roommate that raised a pig fo 4h. The pig was sold at the county fair to her next door neighbors. This pig was her buddy (think Charlotte's web) and the neighbors invited her over to a pig roasting. As an adult she still talks about it like it was traumatic to have to see her pet pig like that.

It is really a subject that I feel wierd about. I mean...I eat animals... so I should be ok with it.

How awful about her "Wilbur"!!! I eat animals, too...I just have trouble when they are my FRIENDS.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Story for you...

Part 1: This morning, I was supposed to take our poodle to the groomer before work. I got up late, anything that could go wrong, did, etc...So I called the groomer to reschedule for Saturday. The girl that answered the phone sounded stressed, but not unusual for my busy groomer.

Part 2: This afternoon, I heard about several people whose homes were broken into over Spring Break. They thought the break-ins were random because they were from several parts of town. But when they discovered that all the people were on vacation, they knew there had to be a common denominator. All victims had taken their pets to my dog groomers that also boards.

Part 3: I don't think I will be taking my dog to be groomed this Saturday because my groomer is in jail and so is her boyfriend AND I'm glad I didn't take Zeus today because I don't know if anyone would have been there!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to daezee

OMG...Monica that is crazy! Wow.... How awful!

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Story for you...

Part 1: This morning, I was supposed to take our poodle to the groomer before work. I got up late, anything that could go wrong, did, etc...So I called the groomer to reschedule for Saturday. The girl that answered the phone sounded stressed, but not unusual for my busy groomer.

Part 2: This afternoon, I heard about several people whose homes were broken into over Spring Break. They thought the break-ins were random because they were from several parts of town. But when they discovered that all the people were on vacation, they knew there had to be a common denominator. All victims had taken their pets to my dog groomers that also boards.

Part 3: I don't think I will be taking my dog to be groomed this Saturday because my groomer is in jail and so is her boyfriend AND I'm glad I didn't take Zeus today because I don't know if anyone would have been there!

I'm flabbergasted.

Scrappygal50
Queen
Scrappygal50
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Story for you...

I'm assuming they also boarded dogs.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

• Jesus Rocks Said:
  • daezee Said:
Story for you...

This is said with complete love...I am sure you just skimmed.

I am laughing at you anyway though.

Scrappygal50
Queen
Scrappygal50
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
  • Jesus Rocks Said:
  • daezee Said:
Story for you...

This is said with complete love...I am sure you just skimmed.

I am laughing at you anyway though.

Yep, I sure did! I have been trying to get caught up at challenge comments, and I guess I just got used to skimming tonight!

Scrappygal50
Queen
Scrappygal50

I'm still not caught up. I have one challenge left, but it will be quick and I am going to do that tomorrow. It's almost time for bed.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla

Liz, where on your website would I find the Power Cropping box or items? I'm too tired/sore/irritable to think hard enough to look at the whole thing right now.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Viv,
So...uh...I stopped at the feed store. They had tons of baby chicks and ducks. Um...1) I want a baby duck badly now. They were only 3 dollars...it is a good thing I have no where to put it cause I really wanted to bring one home.... 2) Baby chicks are pretty darn cute too. I am pretty sure if I got the thing as a chick, there would be no eating it one day. Would have to be an ugly full grown chicken for me to even consider it.

• Jesus Rocks Said:
  • riorabbit Said:
Well...ethically I think if you are gonna eat chicken, you should be ok with eating ones you raised. Practicing that one though...I dunno. I get attached to everything living. Seriously...

I think it makes a difference when you raise a whole group of chickens. Raising one would make it hard.

But they get ugly and nasty. Plus you can always get new cute chicks every years, just don't go goo-goo over them! That's what puppies and kittens are for!

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Not true...I tried to look at the whole thing, but my eyes are crossing.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to leebla

Viv,
I don't do "not go goo goo over them". I wanted to take a baby duck home from the store and even considered it. WHAT ON EARTH WOULD I DO WITH A DUCK? ...it was soo cute though... My parents have a pool...I am sure it would be adorable in the pool... *whimpers* I want.... to hold and cuddle. Not eat....

Scrappygal50
Queen
Scrappygal50

• riorabbit Said:
Viv,
So...uh...I stopped at the feed store. They had tons of baby chicks and ducks. Um...1) I want a baby duck badly now. They were only 3 dollars...it is a good thing I have no where to put it cause I really wanted to bring one home.... 2) Baby chicks are pretty darn cute too. I am pretty sure if I got the thing as a chick, there would be no eating it one day. Would have to be an ugly full grown chicken for me to even consider it.

• Jesus Rocks Said:
  • riorabbit Said:
Well...ethically I think if you are gonna eat chicken, you should be ok with eating ones you raised. Practicing that one though...I dunno. I get attached to everything living. Seriously...

I think it makes a difference when you raise a whole group of chickens. Raising one would make it hard.

But they get ugly and nasty. Plus you can always get new cute chicks every years, just don't go goo-goo over them! That's what puppies and kittens are for!

I agree!

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to riorabbit

Okay, I really, really want to stay and chat...I really want to watch the new ER on tonight...but I can hardly keep my eyes open and my hands hurt so much it is hard to type.

I'm going to call it a night. Don't know how much I will be here tomorrow since hubby is home and our new camper is coming tomorrow.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to leebla

Nighters

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Viv,
I don't do "not go goo goo over them". I wanted to take a baby duck home from the store and even considered it. WHAT ON EARTH WOULD I DO WITH A DUCK? ...it was soo cute though... My parents have a pool...I am sure it would be adorable in the pool... *whimpers* I want.... to hold and cuddle. Not eat....

tee hee...a duck in the pool

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Story for you...

Oh, my!!! You just never know, do you?

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy

Night Elizabeth

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Goodnight Elizabeth!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to leebla

• leebla Said:
Liz, where on your website would I find the Power Cropping box or items? I'm too tired/sore/irritable to think hard enough to look at the whole thing right now.

Liz, I PMed you about this. I wanted to link to your sales site.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Viv,

You do know they poop in the water, right?

Scrappygal50
Queen
Scrappygal50
In response to daezee

Nighty night Elizabeth! I'm calling it a night too! I'll link my lo tomorrow. So tired and have two houses to clean tomorrow.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy

Night Barbra

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Viv,

I am pretty sure the nieces pee in it too...

Eh, well don't drink the pool water. Rio pup does... he will be swimming along drinking as he swims. That is more likely the issue with having said duck. I have a dog that was bread to retrieve water fowl.

I can just see it...no no rio...leave daffy alone. Daffy is our friend...

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to foltzy

I got 30 pages power cropped tonight!!! Still got more to do for my mother's album.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
  • riorabbit Said:
Viv,

Eh, well don't drink the pool water. Rio pup does... he will be swimming along drinking as he swims. That is more likely the issue with having said duck. I have a dog that was bread to retrieve water fowl.

I'd like to have some ducks for eating. Geese, too, but they're really mean and territorial. They make better watch dogs than dogs do, day or night.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Liz, what did Abby get for a birthday present? Did ya go out tonight?

Going to bed now. I'll catch up in the morning.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to leebla

If anyone's around right now, I could use a prayer or ten.

Butting heads with my boss.

Need to calm down before responding to her email.

REALLY just want a new job. You could toss in a couple for that, too.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to c-leaper

Praying Jenni....hang in there. I hope everything works out.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to c-leaper

And, of course, I just miss everyone.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to c-leaper

You're here a little early tonight, aren't you?

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to c-leaper

Fighting with Danielle....again.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Fighting with Danielle....again.

What's up this time?
(C'mon, give me someone else's problems to worry about for awhile. Please?)

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to c-leaper

She hates school. She hates everything about it. She hates everyone. She has no idea what we are talking about when we say she has a bad attitude. yadayadayada

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to c-leaper

Jenni I hope you find a job that works better.

Monica

Viv, Geese and ducks are mean? Or just geese? I KNOW geese are. I have dealt with them. They had baby geese there today too. I liked the look of the babies, but geese are MEAN... might just be able to eat them. I thought ducks were ok though...

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
She hates school. She hates everything about it. She hates everyone. She has no idea what we are talking about when we say she has a bad attitude. yadayadayada

I'm assuming that when she hates "everyone," she mostly means "everyone at school"? Not "everyone inlcuding her friends"? (Nah...that would be too easy.)

Should I make a paper chain for you with one link for each day until she turns 18 and you can kick her out without getting in trouble for child neglect?

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

Yesterday, I took her to Pizza City for a Relay for Life meeting. I stayed in the car napping. Suddenly, there was a buzzing (like a cell phone on vibrate) under my seat. I pulled out her book bag to see what it was because she left her cell phone in the cup holder so I knew that wasn't it. I didn't find what was buzzing (could have been in her friend's bookbag, but I didn't search it) but I did find a bottle of Excedrin, a bottle of something called AlphaCalm (dietary supplement) and a film canister with antacids, more Excedrin, and some Nyquil capsules. She had these in her bag and had just come from school. Our corporation has a ZERO tolerance on drugs of any kind being brought to school (and right or wrong) this includes over the counter stuff.
When I asked her about it, she just treated me like I was an idiot.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to c-leaper

Um...normally they mellow out by that age anyway. Or well at least as adults... so no worries on kicking her out legally, but perhaps paper chain for how long until she becomes sane. (teens are insane...they all are...teens are my favorite group to work with, but step one to loving working with teens is recognizing they are all insane).

I take an odd pleasure especially in watching the way junior high girls behave. It cracks me up when they think life is over cause of some tiny thing they will be over in a week. I find it amusing... (don't ever tell them that though... I side with them and act like I understand that life is over...and laugh hysterically on the inside)

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to c-leaper

Okay, I'm getting too worked up trying to decipher what my crazy boss lady is saying and trying to defend/justify what I tried to say. It's making my stomach roll.

I'm going to go watch TV with Kim and try to forget it for awhile.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to c-leaper

Why is it that other posts are only showing up after I post something else? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

I'm assuming that when she hates "everyone," she mostly means "everyone at school"? Not "everyone inlcuding her friends"? (Nah...that would be too easy.)

Should I make a paper chain for you with one link for each day until she turns 18 and you can kick her out without getting in trouble for child neglect?

But that's the kicker...I love her and I want a good relationship with her. She says she wants one, too, but wants us to stop "getting on her about stuff". Problem is, she keeps doing STUFF (like walking out on a narrow dam over rushing water) then telling my MOTHER about it so I had to learn it from my mother while she was scolding me for allowing her to "run wild".

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Yesterday, I took her to Pizza City for a Relay for Life meeting. I stayed in the car napping. Suddenly, there was a buzzing (like a cell phone on vibrate) under my seat. I pulled out her book bag to see what it was because she left her cell phone in the cup holder so I knew that wasn't it. I didn't find what was buzzing (could have been in her friend's bookbag, but I didn't search it) but I did find a bottle of Excedrin, a bottle of something called AlphaCalm (dietary supplement) and a film canister with antacids, more Excedrin, and some Nyquil capsules. She had these in her bag and had just come from school. Our corporation has a ZERO tolerance on drugs of any kind being brought to school (and right or wrong) this includes over the counter stuff.
When I asked her about it, she just treated me like I was an idiot.

As tough as it might be for you to do, the next time you know she's going to school with even OTC stuff in her bag, I'd call the office and tell them. Let them do a locker search and let her deal with the consequences. Then we'll see if she thinks you're such an idiot.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:

I take an odd pleasure especially in watching the way junior high girls behave. It cracks me up when they think life is over cause of some tiny thing they will be over in a week. I find it amusing... (don't ever tell them that though... I side with them and act like I understand that life is over...and laugh hysterically on the inside)

I agree. Junior high has been my favorite age for quite awhile, for exactly that same reason.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
Um...normally they mellow out by that age anyway. Or well at least as adults... so no worries on kicking her out legally, but perhaps paper chain for how long until she becomes sane. (teens are insane...they all are...teens are my favorite group to work with, but step one to loving working with teens is recognizing they are all insane).

Rio...wanna come over? I've got some insane teens you can work with because they are making ME insane.
Abby, my 13 year old is upset tonight because her best friends are upset with her because she sat with someone else at lunch today.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to daezee

prayers and Jenni

Monica

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

But that's the kicker...I love her and I want a good relationship with her. She says she wants one, too, but wants us to stop "getting on her about stuff". Problem is, she keeps doing STUFF (like walking out on a narrow dam over rushing water) then telling my MOTHER about it so I had to learn it from my mother while she was scolding me for allowing her to "run wild".

Any chance you could talk to your mom and get her to become an extension of you? If Danielle talks to you about this stuff, then maybe Danielle would listen better if Grandma is the one telling her how stupid she's being.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to foltzy

Jenni...now that I've been the downer again....what has evil boss lady done now?

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:

Abby, my 13 year old is upset tonight because her best friends are upset with her because she sat with someone else at lunch today.

read the book....read the book....

Well, Kim just called me on the cell phone from downstairs to see how much longer it would be before I was ready to watch TV, so I guess I'll go do that for awhile.

Thanks for the prayers. I'll probably be back later, but knowing the way it usually works, only the LATE late nighters will still be here.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

Any chance you could talk to your mom and get her to become an extension of you? If Danielle talks to you about this stuff, then maybe Danielle would listen better if Grandma is the one telling her how stupid she's being.

That might work coming from the other grandma, but not my mom. My mom has been critical of her from day one, as she is with most everyone. Coming from my mom, Danielle would only hear, blahblahblahblahblahblah.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Goodnight Jenni...I'll probably be in bed. I actually went to bed before midnight last night! I hope your boss lady gets a clue.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Is anyone getting stormed on?

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
  • riorabbit Said:

Rio...wanna come over? I've got some insane teens you can work with because they are making ME insane.

I think it really is 1) Knowing this is an age they go through and almost all of them make it out as semi normal (no one is really normal, but almost all adults make it past the funky teen stuff)...so it will end one day! 2). Knowing number one...enjoy it and kind of laugh at it.

I know that is a bit easier said than done. Seriously though...when one of them pouts over life being over. It is obnoxious. You know life is not over...you know that they will get through it. So... don't let it bug you. Tell them you love them, it stinks that friends are being this way, and on the inside laugh like crazy because that is so absurd ...oh and THANK GOD you are not still that age. I love teens, but you could not pay me to be one again.

Same kind of idea with the older one. A lot of it is recognizing what she is going through. With junior high this means recognizing that for a junior high girl it is REAL...life is over for real in her eyes, but we all know that it really isn't...condesending to her face...does little to no good. Just something she has to get through, but also personally recognize that ...it is going to end. She will grow up. With the older ones it is more...they are trying to spread wings. Yet they don't know how to fly. The body is there, the brain isn't quite ready. As part of spreading wings...they think they are ready to be on their own. As the one tieing them to the ground, you are going to get lots of eye rolls and lots of tugging on the string. That doesn't mean let them do as they please, but recognize that is part of becoming an adult.

The truth is you don't have little kids anymore and this is a funky age they have to get through to be adults. They only go through it once and soon they will be adults...on thier own. Enjoy it as much as you can. You might kind of miss it one day...

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to riorabbit

Homework is done and I'm going to go to bed. Good night ladies.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

I know I will miss it...already miss them being little and sweet and well...etc..etc..

You are exactly right. I just hugged Abby tonight and told her I was sorry her friend was treating her this way and it was great that she had LOTS of friends and wanted to spend time with everyone.
It will be over tomorrow, or possibly by Monday. Usually is. Drama with Abby is continuous, but each episode is very short lived. It's funny to watch Danielle roll her eyes at what Abby is going through...she just went through that a couple of years ago!
Danielle made the comment tonight that one of the reasons she hates school is that she has no rights. I probably didn't help matters by giggling, but I was remembering feeling the same way. But I had SO MUCH FUN in high school. High school was my place to see friends, be involved in activities, etc...AND I made pretty good grades. I wish she would have fun and make the best of it while she has to be there....don't know how to help her there.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to daezee

Goodnight Liz! Have a great day tomorrow.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:

I don't take it so lightly, or think it is funny anymore, I think they are extremely fragile at that age. That is the age that my daughter wanted to kill herself and ended up hospitalized.

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
  • riorabbit Said:

I don't take it so lightly, or think it is funny anymore, I think they are extremely fragile at that age. That is the age that my daughter wanted to kill herself and ended up hospitalized.

THAT'S what scares me most.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
  • riorabbit Said:

I understand this. I have been there (as a teen...yep,I WAS the suicidal teen) and also worked with teens in this way. That is much of why I actually suggest not saying that you disagree because to them it is REAL. However, there is no reason to let it get to you. Letting cause you so much stress furthers the problem and the reality is that stress can cause the teen more harm. Vicious cycle. There are signs that are not just a teenager and those should be looked at. However, a parent getting overly upset with the teen over teenage stuff...doesn't help anyone.

I can tell you from experience when I came home from a day of other students picking on me and a parent got upset due to my attitude...it seemed they were picking on me too. The time where I was suicidal I really didn't believe anyone in this world cared about me. My parents cared a ton...it was shown through exasperation and tons of screaming and hollering. Funny how that didn't help...

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
I wish she would have fun and make the best of it while she has to be there....don't know how to help her there.

I had both... freshman year SUCKED. I hated it... My junior year was wonderful. *shrugs* I do remember my dad saying the same thing to me that you just typed though... it made me feell like a complete loser... it was bad enough freshman year sucked...having my lame dad tell me that he was cool in high school and I wasn't and why can't it be fun for me made me feel like a bigger loser...

daezee
daezee 
Diva
daezee
In response to riorabbit

That's me...exasperated, screaming and hollering (or mostly lecturing). You've given me something to think about...now...how to I react instead? I can't just say "oh, it's ok that you lied to me Danielle" or "I totally understand why you broke a zero tolerance rule and could have been expelled from school." I know it's not black and white and each child is different and it's just a teen thing...but some of the stuff she is doing could get her killed!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to daezee

It is a hard one. As a parent you really can't just let them do whatever. That is not parenting... The one and only thing I can really say is that look at it in some ways from their perspective. I am not saying what they do is ok or should not be punishable, but more than anything... I would make sure they feel loved. That is just really hard to do. My mom used to always tell me "I love you, but I don't like how you are acting". I HATED hearing that. (that is not a bad thing on her part...more that in some ways it did hit home that she was trying to show me she cared and it was what I was doing that was the problem..the statement still makes me cringe in the...ick, I did something wrong way.)

It is a bit easier for me because I don't have kids. I am not the parent. My passion really is working with teens though. There is a non profit out there called "To Write Love On Her Arms". Not so sure I think the actual organization is that great (I really have never heard much about what they actually do), but the idea of wehre they got their name from ... I love. It started with a teenage girl that had a variety of problems. She was a drug addict, homeless, and even not allowed into rehab due to how severe her drug habit was. This group decided to stay with her while she got off the drugs. Lots of icky stuff there...her body was physically addicted and the group had to watch her constatly as she went through the painful detox. In this time, she ended up cutting herself. She carved something to the effect of "I hate myself". I don't remember the exact words, but something denoting that she was not worthy of life. The group chose their name out of the desire to write love (rather than hate) on the arms of teens. That to me kind of sums up what I would like to do with my life... write love on thier arms. I really do think many of the mental health issues teens face (suicide, drugs, depression, cutting/self mutilation, eating disorders) stem from feeling unloved. If you look at many of their lives... they go to school and trust me...teens are cruel to each other. They have good moments, but a friend can turn on you like that...some don't even have friends. Teachers in high schools can be mean too. It is amazing to me to watch in a school...the kids that are picked on by other teens are often also picked on by teachers and adults. Then they come home...if they have a loving parent, the parent is likely very upset with the choices they make. Kind of lends to feeling like no one gives a Not fun...

For me that is part of why I do work with teens. I *hope* to be that one person that does show that I care. Sometimes having an adult in thier life that is not the parent...not the one that has to discipline ...might be a good idea.

I can't say exactly how to do it. I am sure they drive you crazy. I also know that discipline is needed (they may not understand it but discipline is actually a sign you do care..I am sure you know that). Making sure they know you care is beyond very important though.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to riorabbit

On that note... I have to go feed my friends dog. He is prolly super hungry!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to jellyziva

• jelly97 Said:
  • BlingPrincessRia Said:
*peeks in*

I'm here for about 5 minutes, and then I have to go get Lizzie off the bus and go back to the store. I couldn't figure out what to do for lunch tomorrow since I have a friend coming over. We talked about it last night, so now I'm going back for the fixins for stuffed shells. My friend is single and needs to learn to cook. So she's coming around 10:30-11 so I can teach her how to make this simple but oh-so-yummy dish. I also hafta get barbecue sauce, we're having baked chicken for dinner tomorrow night and Jeremy and the kids love to tear pieces off and dip them in BBQ. When I said I forgot the BBQ and needed to go back, HE said, "Dangit, woman, you don't never get anything that MATCHES! You bought peanut butter but no jelly [we had jelly], chicken but no BBQ..."

Tell your DH you've got jelly! It's just in the computer!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia

• riorabbit Said:
  • riorabbit Said:
Viv,

I'd like to have some ducks for eating. Geese, too, but they're really mean and territorial. They make better watch dogs than dogs do, day or night.

Runny Babbit, I was just about to ask how Rio-pup would handle you having a ducky-duddles.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
Jenni...now that I've been the downer again....what has evil boss lady done now?

Says she didn't tell me to do things that I was told to do (and have the emails to prove it).

Can't understand why it took so long for me to do some work (writing material for a funding proposal) and thinks the hours that I reported were "excessive." (Several people agree that she has no concept of time.)

There are some things that are being misunderstood on both our parts that I need to sort out.

Generally...I love the work. I'm just tired of having to second-guess everything I say or do because I don't know when it will be challenged.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

[quote=daezee][quote=c-le aper][quote=daezee][quote =c-leaper][quote=daezee]S he hates school. She hates everything about it. She hates everyone. She has no idea what we are talking about when we say she has a bad attitude. yadayadayada
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
That might work coming from the other grandma, but not my mom. My mom has been critical of her from day one, as she is with most everyone. Coming from my mom, Danielle would only hear, blahblahblahblahblahblah.
[/quote]

Hmmm. Then I'm surprised Danielle told her about the walk across the water. *Shrug*

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
Okay, I'm getting too worked up trying to decipher what my crazy boss lady is saying and trying to defend/justify what I tried to say. It's making my stomach roll.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:

It's been pretty steady here for awhile.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
  • daezee Said:
I wish she would have fun and make the best of it while she has to be there....don't know how to help her there.

I had both... freshman year SUCKED. I hated it... My junior year was wonderful. *shrugs* I do remember my dad saying the same thing to me that you just typed though... it made me feell like a complete loser... it was bad enough freshman year sucked...having my lame dad tell me that he was cool in high school and I wasn't and why can't it be fun for me made me feel like a bigger loser...

I've said several times that I'm glad I was the oldest in my family. It meant I got to go through school first and not have to live in anyone's shadow (except for the fact that my mom was a teacher at the same school). My sister and brother were in sports year-round, and they were good. And my sister was an honor student.

Me...I was the quiet, shy (yes, really) little drama & choir geek. Just had my little circle of friends that I stuck pretty close to.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

It was HORRIBLE earlier. It was WEIRD, too. Tornadic weather, but we didn't get any tornadoes. Thank goodness. But it rained really, really hard and for a while we thought we were going to lose power. We didn't, though, and life went on. Even though we were dead all night because of the weather, I think.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to BlingQueenRia

• BlingPrincessRia Said:
  • c-leaper Said:

Thanks, sweetie.

I decided to come back, finish the email, then go to bed. But I can't help peeking in here, too. I've missed everyone!!!!

(Of course, if the storm starts up again, I may disappear pretty quickly.)

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper

• BlingPrincessRia Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

It was HORRIBLE earlier. It was WEIRD, too. Tornadic weather, but we didn't get any tornadoes. Thank goodness. But it rained really, really hard and for a while we thought we were going to lose power. We didn't, though, and life went on. Even though we were dead all night because of the weather, I think.

Kim says they always get busier at work when it rains because people want to get out of the house, but they don't want to be someplace where they're in and out of the car a lot and getting wet.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • BlingPrincessRia Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

Kim says they always get busier at work when it rains because people want to get out of the house, but they don't want to be someplace where they're in and out of the car a lot and getting wet.

No, they wanna come through drive-throughs at places like McD's, leave their windshield wipers on high, and soak US when we open the windows to take their money or give them their food. I had one person once pull up to the second window because I wouldn't open the window until they turned off their wipers. I opened the window a crack and asked very politely twice if they would turn their wipers off. They ignored me, and I was tired of getting wet.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

Says she didn't tell me to do things that I was told to do (and have the emails to prove it).

Can't understand why it took so long for me to do some work (writing material for a funding proposal) and thinks the hours that I reported were "excessive." (Several people agree that she has no concept of time.)

There are some things that are being misunderstood on both our parts that I need to sort out.

Generally...I love the work. I'm just tired of having to second-guess everything I say or do because I don't know when it will be challenged.

Sorry your boss was being a problem.. I remember you telling us that she had some issues herself.. and she's insecure too.... I'm sure that has to do with her 2nd guessing you and etc.

I agree it may be better if you can look for a different job. It is difficult working with someone like that and no amount of explaining is going to solve the problem because she IS the problem. Will pray for you about it!

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper

[quote=BlingPrincessRia][ quote=c-leaper][quote=Bli ngPrincessRia][quote=c-le aper][quote=daezee]Is anyone getting stormed on?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, they wanna come through drive-throughs at places like McD's, leave their windshield wipers on high, and soak US when we open the windows to take their money or give them their food. I had one person once pull up to the second window because I wouldn't open the window until they turned off their wipers. I opened the window a crack and asked very politely twice if they would turn their wipers off. They ignored me, and I was tired of getting wet.
[/quote]

Ouch. I actually never thought of that. I don't THINK I've ever done that to a drive-thru person, but I'll certainly be more aware of it from now on.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to c-leaper

Back from carring for my friend's pooch.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to jellyziva

• jelly97 Said:
  • c-leaper Said:
  • daezee Said:

Sorry your boss was being a problem.. I remember you telling us that she had some issues herself.. and she's insecure too.... I'm sure that has to do with her 2nd guessing you and etc.

I agree it may be better if you can look for a different job. It is difficult working with someone like that and no amount of explaining is going to solve the problem because she IS the problem. Will pray for you about it!

Thank you.

In the meantime, I think I just about have this finished. I think I've smoothed over some stuff, ignored other stuff, apologized for some things (in such a way that apologizes for the situation, not necessarily putting blame on her nor accepting it myself), and reaffirmed how much I enjoy the work I do with this group (because I do!).

I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I now have my daughter mad at herself for bringing all this on the family and causing all the stress. And I keep trying to tell her not to worry, because I'm not worried. I/We (as a couple and as a family) have been in similar situations before, and God has always taken care of us. Always.

And I reminded her that there are SO many reasons why Ethan shouldn't have even survived the pregnancy, yet he did. So I believe to my core that he has some special purpose. And because of that, God will give us the means to provide for him.

So I'm not worried.

Frustrated, yeah. Stressed, a little. But not worried.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

Jenni, in hopes of making you smile, I must say this. "Stressed" spelled backwards is "desserts."

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to daezee

• daezee Said:
I know I will miss it...already miss them being little and sweet and well...etc..etc..

You are exactly right. I just hugged Abby tonight and told her I was sorry her friend was treating her this way and it was great that she had LOTS of friends and wanted to spend time with everyone.
It will be over tomorrow, or possibly by Monday. Usually is. Drama with Abby is continuous, but each episode is very short lived. It's funny to watch Danielle roll her eyes at what Abby is going through...she just went through that a couple of years ago!
Danielle made the comment tonight that one of the reasons she hates school is that she has no rights. I probably didn't help matters by giggling, but I was remembering feeling the same way. But I had SO MUCH FUN in high school. High school was my place to see friends, be involved in activities, etc...AND I made pretty good grades. I wish she would have fun and make the best of it while she has to be there....don't know how to help her there.

I remember high school WAS ultra hard for me. I've always been kind of 'different' than the other girls, and teenage girls can be soooo mean. I've been teased, used, betrayed...... and the other problem I had was those cliquish girls. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to stick with one circle only.. and that doesn't play well at all. Plus I'm somewhat of a geek. Bad combo.

I was very suicidal ... I think my hormones were just more raging than other people's... add to that a 49 year gap between me and my mom. She doesn't even use an ATM, if you know what I mean. And she loves me, but she was the yelling type.

Anyway, so teenage years were very tough for me. And I still shudder when I think about it. My relationship with my mom didn't improve until I left home for boarding school here in the US, literally being an ocean away from home. Then I started appreciating my mom

But the funny thing is, I was just talking to DH yesterday. As an adult, I'm the same way. I don't fit into any cliques at all. But I have many many friends whom I am very good friends with, but they are all from different circles. I don't have any go-shopping/salon/spa kind of friends, but I have many who can call me in the middle of the nite with problems kind of friends.

I feel lonely at times, when I see other ladies in those cliques, like those moms at the park who will not even look at me. But I am who I am, and I have to learn to deal with that. If you put me in a clique, I'll get everyone mad within minutes. DH told me to just embrace who I am. And at about 40 years old, I'm JUST starting to get wise about this and learning how to ...

So yeah.. I do feel bad for teenagers, and for the problems they go thru.... because some of it stay with them, because that's the way people are.

And I dread the day my very own drama queen become a teenager.

Edited by jelly97 on 04-10-08 09:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:

Thank you.

In the meantime, I think I just about have this finished. I think I've smoothed over some stuff, ignored other stuff, apologized for some things (in such a way that apologizes for the situation, not necessarily putting blame on her nor accepting it myself), and reaffirmed how much I enjoy the work I do with this group (because I do!).

I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I now have my daughter mad at herself for bringing all this on the family and causing all the stress. And I keep trying to tell her not to worry, because I'm not worried. I/We (as a couple and as a family) have been in similar situations before, and God has always taken care of us. Always.

And I reminded her that there are SO many reasons why Ethan shouldn't have even survived the pregnancy, yet he did. So I believe to my core that he has some special purpose. And because of that, God will give us the means to provide for him.

So I'm not worried.

Frustrated, yeah. Stressed, a little. But not worried.

You have such great kids... your DD, Ethan. And I think you handled it(the situation, your email) so well.

I never have the wisdom to handle such tough situations with bosses. I think that's why God gave me 12 bosses in my 16 years of work. The angels in charge of bosses are complaining to Him "We gave her every kind of boss and she STILL hasn't learnt".

Glad I do better with hubby. God's grace. He gave me a loving one who sticks with me even when I become unreasonable and toopid (doesn't happen too often, but it happens).

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

• BlingPrincessRia Said:

Thanks for the reminder, Ria. On those 5 days out of a year when it officially rains in AZ, I will remember to turn off my wipers at drive-thru.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper

• BlingPrincessRia Said:
Jenni, in hopes of making you smile, I must say this. "Stressed" spelled backwards is "desserts."

Which is why I had a double dip of choc chip cookie dough earlier this evening.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to jellyziva

Oh yeah.. and I'm definitely NOT a popular person. The other day, I told a 'teacher' at church I didn't like his analogy of a person not giving his/her best at service. He mentioned "if you have talents and you are flipping burgers, then you are wasting your talent...".

I told him later on privately:"I know some talented people who are flipping burgers because of GOOD choices they make. They do it for their family.. because they are either staying home and trying to make some extra $$ during a limited time period, or because of other reasons".

His wife (a good friend of mine) said:"to be fair, there isn't any analogy that won't upset people" and then she had to leave so she didn't hear my answer. BTW, she is a very successful doctor.

I said, "Yes, there is. The analogy is this: you're working a full time job, but you arrive late, leave early and take 2 hour lunch breaks." I repeated: "just don't use a certain profession to describe wasted talent".

See, I will never be popular. I'm amongst moms who are ALREADY thinking about sending their kids to Ivy League schools even though they are only 2 now. IN their minds, only doctors and lawyers are 'permissible' professions.

And I cringe... when I hear stuff like that....

Oh, and I just told people NOT to shop at WM. That will also make me ultra popular..... NOT.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • BlingPrincessRia Said:

Which is why I had a double dip of choc chip cookie dough earlier this evening.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to jellyziva

DH said, if I were a guy, there'd be no problem. He said guys are ok with guys who think differently. And they are ok with friends in different circles. Even if their friends are not ok with something, they do not care.

But he said he's glad I'm not a guy, because then he doesn't have to make himself turn gay. He's sweet in a very twisted way. True dude...

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to jellyziva

• jelly97 Said:
You have such great kids... your DD, Ethan. And I think you handled it(the situation, your email) so well.

Glad I do better with hubby. God's grace. He gave me a loving one who sticks with me even when I become unreasonable and toopid (doesn't happen too often, but it happens).

Thanks for the compliment. I guess we'll see how well I handled it based on Boss Lady's response. I do prefer email, though, even tho' you can't hear a person's intonation/inflection and you miss any non-verbal cues. I still prefer it because it gives me time to put my thoughts together coherently, find "evidence" (such as the email asking me to do something when she said she never told me to do it), and temper my words into the least-threatening/least-a ccusing way possible.

As for the DH thing...I'm right there with you. I have such a sweet-natured, non-confrontational, even-tempered (probably to an unhealthy-for-him degree) hubby. That's why I loved it when Kim was little and I was a 100% SAHM. I was mistress of my domain, able to volunteer for stuff if I wanted, to go a young moms' Bible study. Life in general was cheaper back then and the one income was enough.

It's my goal to get back to that, as long as DH & I don't end up being the kind of old people who need a dozen medications each to keep functioning so all our money goes to the pharmacy and doctors.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to jellyziva

• jelly97 Said:

I said, "Yes, there is. The analogy is this: you're working a full time job, but you arrive late, leave early and take 2 hour lunch breaks." I repeated: "just don't use a certain profession to describe wasted talent".

Woo-hoo!!!

I think I've shared this here before, but when DD started kindergarten at a private Christian school, whether or not she attended hinged on whether or not I could find a part-time job. (See above post about things always working out.)

As I was interviewing for a position as editor of a small, monthly Christian newspaper, the guy who was president of the board and doing the interviewing looked at my resume, pointed out the five years that I "fell off the radar," (i.e. didn't have a job) and wondered what that was about. I told him that's when I was staying home raising my preschool-age daughter.

After I was hired, I was talking to him another time and warned him never again to tell a SAHM mom that she'd "fallen off the radar" simply because she had chosen to stay home to raise her children.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to jellyziva

• jelly97 Said:
DH said, if I were a guy, there'd be no problem. He said guys are ok with guys who think differently. And they are ok with friends in different circles. Even if their friends are not ok with something, they do not care.

But he said he's glad I'm not a guy, because then he doesn't have to make himself turn gay. He's sweet in a very twisted way. True dude...

He means well.
I think.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to c-leaper

• c-leaper Said:
  • jelly97 Said:

He means well.
I think.

I was thinking the same thing, Jenni.

c-leaper
Queen
c-leaper
In response to c-leaper

Just sent the email to Boss Lady.

I'll either start getting more work or I'll get fired. (Well, not fired. She seldom outright fires anyone. She just quits giving them cases.)

However, the prayers for the new job are still appreciated.....

Page 24 of 25 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics