Username Post: Shopaholics        (Topic#1469429)
jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3

Ok so I have spent way too much money this past month on Scrappy stuff. I have decided that I am going to start a thread that anyone can post on whenever they feel the need to shop for more stuff. I made a promise to myself that I won't buy anymore stuff until I use a good hunk of what I already have. I knoe that it's easier to shop for the stuff then it is to find the time to sit down and use it...but I think I was out of control!!

Vintage Beginnings
Expert
Vintage Beginnings
In response to jenyjen3

Been there, done that. It's hard. I know. All the new things out there. I find when I'm depressed about something I really go all out. After I have shopped, I feel guilty.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Vintage Beginnings

It's so hard to not be tempted into buying every new little thing you see, but I also feel guilty after a large spending spree.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to Vintage Beginnings

I will admit I shopped too much a few times.. But If I don't buy, my DH will actually go buy things I have showed him I like and give them to me, or my mom will buy things and send them too me LOL

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to SQ Mandi

I had a bunch of stuff in my shopping cart at another online store tonight. Everything was 49% off but the shipping was so darn high that when I figured out the price per item it wasn't a bargain at all. That was enough to clear the cart and close my browser. It was nice owning those things for a few minutes at least!

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to Judy_Scraps

I'm working on a finishing a page...and I realize that I need glue!!! This is such a terrible cycle!

shopgirlaudi
Mayor
shopgirlaudi
In response to jenyjen3

I do alot of online "shopping" too when I feel the urge. Fill my basket and just save it:) I do WAY too much shopping in real life, I don't need to add online too:) Although OCCASIONALLY I do actually shop online, I try not to make it a habit or it'll totally get out of hand.

I really need to use more of my stash and not buy so much, but the sales and all the new goodies make it SO hard:( Me and my sis were just talking a little earlier about things to do to use up our stash:)

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to shopgirlaudi

you know whats great? Wishlists!!

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to imajellybeanx

I have a definite problem with shopping for scrappy stuff. Half the time I don't even need it I just want to buy something. I have been avoiding M's, J's & HL so I won't be tempted.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3

• imajellybeanx Said:
you know whats great? Wishlists!!

That's a good point! I can pretend to shop!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to jenyjen3

I love doing wishlists. And typically when I have a major scrap shopping bug I head on over to Dollar Tree....at least then it's cheap and 9 times out of 10 I only get stuff that I actually know I'll use in the NEAR future. Today I went and got some pop dots, some stacked flowers, a spool of ribbon and some Xmas/Winter stickers which I've already used almost half up making cards today! And the only online shopping I do is if I have gift certificate codes, and then I only shop as much as the certificate is good for so I only pay shipping (like yesterday I ordered from Cosmo Cricket from their sales stuff and got two lacing kits for $2.50 each -- the $7 to ship the two was STILL only 1/4 of what I would have paid for both in a store, and I would have had to pay tax and for gas if I'd gone to my LSS for them!).

Although I will say...if I go somewhere I know there's a Hobby Lobby, I DO stop because we don't have one anywhere near us here...

Edited by CMLeach on 07-01-08 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MarlaE
MarlaE 
Resident
MarlaE
In response to CMLeach

I have a TOTAL weakness for clearance sales! I know where the clearance isle is in every store I frequent. And here lately, there have been some MAJOR clearance sales!!! So I've spent WAY too much!

I TRY to be good! I go to the store just needing an embelishment for a card I'm working on and the next thing I know the cart is full!

I've tried not getting a cart since it is so easy to just drop stuff in, but seems I have Clearance Sale Arms that can hold almost as much as a shopping cart!!

ME

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to MarlaE

I am so with you all. I have so much stuff and I will probably never use it all. I am finally realizing that and even though I still want to go shopping a lot, I have been trying to be good. It helps that I am heading out on vacation in a few weeks and I need to save up to buy all those yummy souveniers and scrap stuff that you can only buy at Disney! Lol...

Hannah S
Expert
Hannah S
In response to godschild94

You sound like me. I always buy things and swear I am going to use it, something i do something i dont.

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to Hannah S

I always buy everything because "i never know if i might use this one day!!" lol

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-01-08 08:50 PM

I always think that if I have a coupon I just HAVE to use it. That's not a good thing. And not now with money getting so tight. I have too much stuff and I constantly wonder why I need to have more when I haven't used what I have. I think I'm going to limit myself now to using exactly what I have and only purchase adhesive. I did that today. Went into Michaels with the 50 percent coupon to purchase adhesive for my xyron and just had to have these cool flowers. Thank goodness I limited myself. But no more (well that lady handed me a 40 percent coupon good starting July 6th........I think I'll throw it away...I really need to get control).

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to GrandmaMichelf

those darn 50% off Coupons and 25% off your entire purchase Coupons are DANGEROUS!

~*~Kathie~*~
Diva
~*~Kathie~*~
In response to jenyjen3

I make those promises to myself all the time. "I am not buying anything else until I use up a HUGE AMOUNT of what I already have." -- But, I was going through some of my mom's papers and things and I found a bunch of old, old heritage photos that are screaming to be scrapped plus a lot of photos of my grandkiddies that my kids sent to her throughout the years, photos that I don't have. They have to be scrapped too. I just made my 3rd online purchase in as many weeks! -- THAT'S IT! -- No more for awhile -- Oh, wait a minute. I don't have an album for the heritage photos. It's neverending, but I love it. ( I had the perfect album and I sold it on my yard sale )

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to ~*~Kathie~*~

I put a limit of $50 bucks on my scrap supplies. But, as I went throught my budget. I decided maybe I would spend even less.
[email protected]..

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3

• GrandmaMichelf Said:
I always think that if I have a coupon I just HAVE to use it. That's not a good thing. And not now with money getting so tight. I have too much stuff and I constantly wonder why I need to have more when I haven't used what I have. I think I'm going to limit myself now to using exactly what I have and only purchase adhesive. I did that today. Went into Michaels with the 50 percent coupon to purchase adhesive for my xyron and just had to have these cool flowers. Thank goodness I limited myself. But no more (well that lady handed me a 40 percent coupon good starting July 6th........I think I'll throw it away...I really need to get control).

You can't throw away a coupon!!! I know I'm not helping the cause! I think that is a big part of my problem too...when I have a coupon...I have to use it, even if I don't need anything!

Veteran
In response to jenyjen3

I feel your pain. You should see my scrap room. I swear I could start a store. I could seriously scrap for the next year and buy NOTHING altho we know that isnt going to happen. In fact I feel a LONG overdue trip to HL coming on they usually have the greatest clearances but the closest one is 30 minutes from me so I conly go a few times a year. THEN I will be good. HELP ME!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Tenant
In response to knotelabs

I shop way too much too and if it's on clearance I have to have it....

I have so much stuff right now to be organized...it's all just in bags on my scrap table....

Think I will do that tonight.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to jenyjen3

i can be the same way, i bought 2 cricut cartridges and over $60 of stuff on sale at M's recently and still caught myself looking for more jolee's online....ahhh! i can't help it sometimes, those jolee's stickers are too cute

Dsnygrl
New Kid On the Block
Dsnygrl
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

If this helps anyone at all... my girlfriends and I make pacts. We have to scrap x amount of pages before we can buy new stuff. The only items not included are adhesive and trimmer blades. The true necessities. The two of them shop and scrap way more than me, so their goal will be 50 layouts and mine will be 25. BUT it totally works!! I "shop" my supply for each set of pictures. If I don't have anything for a certain set of pictures I set them aside and wait until we've fulfilled the pact and reached our goals. This is totally easy as long as you're not a chronological scrapper.

Edited by Dsnygrl on 07-02-08 06:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to Dsnygrl

I've thought about setting goals for myself...but it takes me so long to finish one lo. I finished one last night that I started 3 days ago. I don't think I have the will power to stick to a lo goal...but i could always try!

shopgirlaudi
Mayor
shopgirlaudi
In response to jenyjen3

I set a LO goal for this year. 100 LOs...so at least I feel like I am accomplishing something admist all the shopping:) So far I am at about 63 or 64:)

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to jenyjen3

i do that too! my budget is $50!...now....last sunday though it was $185 lol

scoot297
Idol
scoot297
In response to jenyjen3

I have spent so much on scrapping goodies it's not even funny! I'm a sucker for clearance sales, and really love to stop at all the scrap stores when I travel out of town. However, we're in the process of moving right now, so I'm not nearly as apt to buy scrap goodies, because I tell myself, you're not going to get to use them for awhile anyway. Once I get unpacked at the new house, I'll be scrapping only with current supplies to use up some of my stash! Also, now that I have the cricut, I've tried to stop buying flowers (can make paper ones with the George cartridge), alphas, and other holiday-related embellies. We'll see how long I can go without buying...

ScrapItUpOnline
Veteran
ScrapItUpOnline
In response to scoot297

I am a true bargain shopper at heart. It's hard for me to spend full price on ANYTHING unless I really, really want it! That helps a lot when it comes to scrapping. I probably spend more than I should, but at least I get a ton of stuff with the money I spend!

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to ScrapItUpOnline

im going to go to michaels sometime soon and treat myself to a big bite at 50% off lol

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to jenyjen3

after scrapping last night i determined i really want that machine that crops the corners to make them round. uugghhh does anyone have this? is it worth it?

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to scoot297

I joined a challenge here where we set a goal for a number of layouts completed before we shop again (excluding photo printing and adhesive). My goal is currently 50.

And I *don't* need to get adhesive or photos because I have tons of both. I bought an ATG and got lots of tape and should be set for a long time.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to scrappyJedi

I just finished up hostessing a 6 month long no shopping challenge.

We had a few little things we did allow. For example all adhesive was a freebie cause you can't sb without it. Also, I allowed 5 dollars worth of product per month. That was SUPPOSED to be for those essentials like cardstock that you run out of, but NEED for the layout. The idea behind that was to keep people from stocking up on something they fear they will need before the challenge started.

Anyway, I did learn a lot from it and I won't say that I am not going to shop at all right now, but it really helped me to see priorities for my spending.

A few things I learned:

-I realized what supplies I actually USE versus what I really like to buy. So it turns out I stock pile stuff I don't use just because I have certain favorites to buy...

So take note of what you actually do really use and consider focusing your purchases more that way. I love paints for example, but rarely buy them and always find myself wishing I had another color. On the other hand... I almost never ever use shaped brads and charms and have an abundance of them.

-I also found that if I organized my stash by color it worked better for using what I have. Instead of having ribbon in one place, buttons in another, brads and eyelets elseware... I placed all my green of any embellie together. Shockingly when I go for a green brad and don't have one... I found that much of the time I CAN substitute a green button or eyelet.

It was also frightening to see them all together. I really know what embellies I have now with seeing them like that. I have all of one color in one (some flow in to too actually) bead box. It travels better that way too and ugg... I seriously wonder if I will ever use half those embellies.

I do separate out my thematic embellies and then I have bead boxes for the themes too. I have a full bead box of dog embellies. Knowing that has greatly assisted me in NOT getting more dog embellies. A friend pointed out some cute dog stamps the other day (which I don't include stamps with embellies, but they work comparably) and I turned it down knowing I have a FULL box of dog stuff... It was so much easier to ignore them when they weren't lumped together like that.

-I also found making a list and sitting on it helps. Styles change soooo much. It kind of disgusts me to look at my old stash and know how much money I put in to it feeling that it would be great for years to come. The reality is some of it I will still use and some of it I just don't like anymore...

-Buying adhesive in bulk is not bad. I actually am looking at getting an ATG gun and also a big stash of refills. Found a site that offers it for a very reasonable price. It is a lot to spend and I hate to spend it on adhesive, but popping in M's or J's to get adhesive tends to also end up with me walking out with more... Just avoid stores...seriously.

-IGNORE SALES AND Coupons ! Sounds crazy...I know, I know, I know... still. Many aren't really a bargain if you never USE the supplies. I would rather pay full price for something I will use soon and want than half price for something I end up donating later OR have to pay for storage for it too because I hate to get rid of it. The more stuff you have, the more storage you have to have too... it is an evil evil cycle.

-My last bit of advice... this thread probably won't help some of us. One odd thing I learned is that the more I hear others talk about shopping, the more I want to shop... The mere title of this thread makes me want to shop...

mrsstacy85
Veteran
mrsstacy85
In response to CMLeach

• CMLeach Said:
typically when I have a major scrap shopping bug I head on over to Dollar Tree....at least then it's cheap.

This is just what I did on Saturday. I got 4 packs of paper and some matching velum stickers. It'll keep me busy for a little while....

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to mrsstacy85

i loovee the dollar tree. they have some pretty cute letter stickers at mine.

krishunter
Diva
krishunter

I wasn't going to buy anything, but I just got back from my local grocery store(it's a local chain) and they had packs of paper for .79 and scrapbook albums for .99. They also had sets of rubber stamps for .79 among other paper and photo frames. I just had to get a few things

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to krishunter

woah.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-02-08 11:27 AM

Well, I did throw away one of the 40 percent Coupons and kept the other one. I justified this by the fact that on Friday my entire family will be here and I'll be taking pictures like crazy. Plus the grandkids are spending the night on Thursday and our second oldest child is coming from NYC tonight. So I just HAVE to save the one coupon to purchase adhesive for the xyron . Other than that, I have plenty of everything else.

The problem with coupon addiction is that they can be in your purse and you can just be moseying along and this little voice goes "use me...you know you want to...oh I know you don't need anything but I need to be used....go ahead...turn right here....ahhhhhh...see????" Entire conversations go on in my purse with my checkbook and debit card saying "no, don't listen to the coupon...it's evil....it wants to entice you..." I have a really scary purse.

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to jenyjen3

I'm trying to use all my scraps up as well... I've just as many scraps as I do full sheets of paper...

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

• imajellybeanx Said:
after scrapping last night i determined i really want that machine that crops the corners to make them round. uugghhh does anyone have this? is it worth it?

A corner rounder? You can get a decent one for under $10 -- you may only be able to do 2-3 thin papers or one heavy layer of cardstock at a time, but the cost of it.... it's one of those items you use over and over.

I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a tool that I can reuse than spend tons of money on actualy supplies.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to CMLeach

I reall like all the tips from riorabbit. I had a small break down today and I almost bought scrappy stuff at Target. I went in for kitty liter and I just thought I would take a look at the scrappy isle. Well that had American Crafts ribbon on clearance. I love all the colors they had...but I knew that I didn't need it and I walked away without any scrappy stuff. I did look for glue because I need more but they didn't have the kind that I like. So I got my liter and came home!!

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 07-02-08 04:38 PM

• Quote:

So I just HAVE to save the one coupon to purchase adhesive for the xyron .

xyron is on sale at J's this week

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to JoanE

I haven't been shopping for scrappy stuff in over 2 months, which is awesome for me. When my bf broke up with me I went into a phase of just shopping, spending, shopping, spending. I spent so much on stuff even though I already have tons! Then I went into a phase of not even wanting to scrap because it made me sad. Then went back to shopping again. It was bad. I tried riorabbit's scrapaddict bootcamp, and it was great until the breakup. I wish I would have stuck with it instead, but can't change that. I have also started school again, so now I am not making much money, and the money I do have I save for necessities. It is super hard. I have begun to make wishlists. I let them sit, and then after awhile I realize I don't really want certain things. There are tons I still want, but I am waiting. I have been throwing away all of my Coupons without even looking at them, and haven't even been to a J's, HL, or M's in a long time. The one time I went to J's I didn't even find anything I really wanted which was good. If I stay away from stores all the better. Tonight I was in Target, and had seen some of the posts about fun stuff they had, and I looked, and picked up one thing, but before leaving I decided against it. (and it was only $1) Right now with the money issue there are things I NEED, and things I want. The key is knowing priorities. It it hard, but if you are really looking to start using up your stash without shopping look at what you have and give yourself a goal, like spend $5-10 if you do 25 LOs or something. That way it is like you earned it and you are using up what you have. Riorabbits tips are great!
Sorry for blabbing on...hope you all have a great night!

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to CMLeach

its called the paper gator! thats it. where can i find something like that for $10?!

Aimee K
Resident
Aimee K
In response to jenyjen3

I think we need to protest to all of the companies coming out with all of the great new supplies and tell them to slow down! Oh who am I kidding? I would hate myself for doing that. I love seeing all of the reveals after the CHA shows!

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to Aimee K

diitttooo omg. i know im in trouble too. my cricut expression is on the way. Oh Lord HEELLPP ME lol

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3

I know all the things I want...but I know that it's so not smart to buy them. To save me from going to the craft store to buy glue, I've been using glue sticks on cards. I don't care if its not acid free on a card! I know the minute I step foot in a store to buy that glue...I leave with much, much more!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

• imajellybeanx Said:
its called the paper gator! thats it. where can i find something like that for $10?!

IMO, the paper gator is a bit much. And I believe a lot of people thought that when it came outit was too big and too expensive when it first came out. I picked up a Marvy corner rounder from J's for maybe $6-8 (don't remember if it was on sale or not when I did). I use it pretty frequently and have had it over a year now with no issues. I've linked several different corner rounders below. If you compare them, the paper gator is just waaaaaay out of their price league.

Edited by CMLeach on 07-03-08 05:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to riorabbit

• riorabbit Said:
-My last bit of advice... this thread probably won't help some of us. One odd thing I learned is that the more I hear others talk about shopping, the more I want to shop... The mere title of this thread makes me want to shop...

Darn it! You're right! Your post had a ton of great advice!! I used to give myself a $20 per month budget. But that was when I lived very close to a LSS and I only scrapped maybe 2 - 2pg LOs per month..(And I only bought what I needed for each LO- never stocking up)

Now I have to plan ahead and I seem to be scrapping more.. I'm spending too much money. And lately we are feeling that economic pinch.. I have family vacation next week.. and 2 kids birthdays and school shopping coming in the next 2 months.. and god I'm broke. So for me.. no buying anything! until September... sigh.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-03-08 07:08 AM
In response to JoanE

• JoanE Said:
  • Quote:

So I just HAVE to save the one coupon to purchase adhesive for the xyron .

xyron is on sale at J's this week

Our J's closed down so that never helps me anymore otherwise I'd be over there stocking up on xyron adhesive.

The Paper Gator does more than just round corners on paper and cardstock. Plus, as I understand it, you can cut through tons of paper at one time. I'm not sure if I'd use something like this at all and it's just out of my budget for now. Maybe later when I want to round the corner on a stack of post it notes.

kycatymoas
Tenant
kycatymoas

Since we are all SHOPAHOLICS, Walmart & Meijer's here in KY are doing away w/ their scrap sections, DEALS aplenty!!!!

MAN, I was broke last week when they had the sales!!!

Went today, NOTHING LEFT!!!!

Edited by kycatymoas on 07-03-08 10:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BabeeBK
Veteran
BabeeBK
In response to jenyjen3

I'm a total scrapwhore, I buy things sometimes just because. I got a coupon to M's in my email this morning. I'm going after work just to see if I can find anything cool on sale.

mel3073
Tenant
mel3073
In response to BabeeBK

Lay all (yes ALL) your scrapbook supplies out in one place. Take a picture. Carry that picture in your wallet and next time you are tempted to buy something, look at that picture and it should deter you.

I did this with my shoes. I layed all 50+ pairs of shoes out on my living room floor and took a picture. Now whenever I'm tempted to buy another pair of shoes, I look at that picture and stop myself.

Also, THROW those Coupons away. I spend way more money because I have a coupon, when otherwise, I never would have gone to the store to begin with!

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to mel3073

I have been working so hard the last couple of days that I want to reward myself with more scrappy stuff!! AGHHH!!!

Denise Jensen
Pro
Denise Jensen
In response to jenyjen3

*sigh* I always spend way too much also and I always tell myself I won't buy anything else until I clear out what I have. That never works. I actually had a package from sb.com sitting on my back porch today when I got home..lol

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326
In response to kycatymoas

• kycatymoas Said:
Since we are all SHOPAHOLICS, Walmart & Meijer's here in KY are doing away w/ their scrap sections, DEALS aplenty!!!!

MAN, I was broke last week when they had the sales!!!

Went today, NOTHING LEFT!!!!

The WM and Meijer's by me don't seem to be clearing anything out... I went to WM to see since I had been hearing about all the clearancing and they were fully stocked!

Related to the topic, though... I found myself spending too much money, as well. Then I discovered the No Less Than 25 Challenge last week, which was mentioned earlier. I've set a goal of 30 LOs to finish before I buy anything... Hopefully, this will help! I was one like some of you said, where I got a coupon and just HAD to use it!! And then I would use the coupon and spend $10-20 more on top of whatever else... It's definitely an addiction!!

So basically, I agree with throwing away the Coupons , as well as joining a challenge or setting a goal for yourself.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics