Username Post: WOW!        (Topic#1470753)
stefanyb123
Expert
stefanyb123

WOW, just WOW!

stolen scrapbook stuff

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to stefanyb123

WOW is right! Holy cow!

I read a blog recently about another woman in southern CA who was doing the same thing.

When I was at the expo a couple of years ago, I was disheartened (sp) and shocked to overhear vendors talking about shoplifting from their booths. Sad sad sad.

Anne1701
Mayor
Anne1701
In response to Luvmyfam

That's just nasty.

scrappinmomto2girls
Governor
scrappinmomto2girls
In response to Anne1701

yep yep.....

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to scrappinmomto2girls

While I let the shock of her crime sink in, I noticed one more fact:
that thief had seven scrappy stores nearby!

******** lucky thief. Glad she was caught.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to imagine.lilacs

I think we want to think that ALL scrappers are nice and honest. But sadly, there's a few rotten ones in the barrel.

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Wow! I feel so bad for the store owners... I hope that they can get that business back.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Amigosa

What's even sadder is that people actually bought stuff from her. I mean, I would be skeptical if some woman had a store set up in her house and was selling stuff from Joann's -- it's not like she could have ordered that herself. Not only is she and her accomplice wrong but the people who bought from them are wrong too--I hope they feel sheepish when they go back into the stores that have now lain people off to make up for the financial losses.

total chaos
Veteran
total chaos
In response to Amigosa

Wow! That's so unfortunate for the business owners.

PEIgirl
Guru
PEIgirl
In response to total chaos

OMG!!!!!!!!

Manniemae
Queen
Manniemae
In response to PEIgirl

How low!

~*~Kathie~*~
Diva
~*~Kathie~*~
In response to PEIgirl

• PEIgirl Said:
OMG!!!!!!!!

Ditto

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever
In response to Manniemae

Sad...very sad.

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Memories4Ever

This is just pathetic! And awful for the poor store owners...

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Memories4Ever

It's sad but nothing surprises me these days. I wonder if she'll have scrapbooking classes for her fellow inmates.

imajellybeanx
Veteran
imajellybeanx
In response to godschild94

its hard enough to own a business now a days but then have someone steal from you. thats just makes it 10x harder.

mustBcrazy
Pro
mustBcrazy
In response to imajellybeanx

AMAZING!!!!

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 07-10-08 06:50 PM
In response to imajellybeanx

This is terrible.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to JoanE

WOW!! Stupid people, thats all I have to say!

Scrapbookjuls
Veteran
Scrapbookjuls
In response to JoanE

I hope she didn't sell it on E*** I buy stuff on there all the time and not think about it~

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to Scrapbookjuls

Wow... I am sure that she had an answer for people when they asked how she could afford to sell so cheaply.

And, from the amount of stuff that she had--(looked like a little mini store) I wouldn't have imagined that she could have stolen ALL of that stuff. Maybe I would have been more suspicious if she was just selling stuff occasionally--- but to have a whole stinkin' store set up. She was very bold with her stuff.

shame shame shame

scrappychicdesigns
Mayor
scrappychicdesigns
In response to JoanE

I work at a lss and you would be amazed. A while back we caught a regular putting stuff into her sb bag that she clearly did not pay for. A regular! I mean she would crop there every couple of weeks and spend big money! Well we totally busted her and to find out that her Mom had given her a credit card to use. She had the funds but stole anyways!

Then recently we had a Mom yes that's right a Mom just go through pulling stuff off of the racks in front of her son (He's probably around 8/9 years old) and walking out with it! Seriously in front of your son who is old enough to know what's going on! Unreal!!! Then she would try to return some of it a few days later. Luckly we have her on camera so charges have been filed and all that. When the police went to her house to issue the arrest warrant she wasn't home but on her front door was a religious welcome sign. Boggles the mind doesn't it?

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
It's sad but nothing surprises me these days. I wonder if she'll have scrapbooking classes for her fellow inmates.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappychicdesigns

• scrappychicdesigns Said:
I work at a lss and you would be amazed. A while back we caught a regular putting stuff into her sb bag that she clearly did not pay for. A regular! I mean she would crop there every couple of weeks and spend big money! Well we totally busted her and to find out that her Mom had given her a credit card to use. She had the funds but stole anyways!

Then recently we had a Mom yes that's right a Mom just go through pulling stuff off of the racks in front of her son (He's probably around 8/9 years old) and walking out with it! Seriously in front of your son who is old enough to know what's going on! Unreal!!! Then she would try to return some of it a few days later. Luckly we have her on camera so charges have been filed and all that. When the police went to her house to issue the arrest warrant she wasn't home but on her front door was a religious welcome sign. Boggles the mind doesn't it?

I wonder how much is mental illness and how much is just plain evil.

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to scrappychicdesigns

Well... I guess I don't have that thief type mentality because I just can't imagine having that much stuff!! I guess people are much bolder than I thought.

And, I would love to work at a scrap booking store--- Do you get wonderful discounts??

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-10-08 07:18 PM

Good Grief!

grammykimmy
Expert
grammykimmy
In response to Issabear

yeah, this happend about 60 miles from me. I never bought from her, never even hear about her until this. But as for the Joann stuff, I would have just thought she bought it for a really good deal and was reselling it. Shows how niaeve (sp?) some of can be, especially if we are trying to find a good deal.

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to grammykimmy

wow

ashtonsmommy
Governor
ashtonsmommy
In response to lilmrmaid

I saw somehting similar soemwhere else! How crazy!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

$200,000 in stolen "inventory", and that doesn't even count God knows how much she'd already sold. She must have been one busy thief. I'd have been curious to know what was in the $400 purse-load. And reselling to the victims' customers just added salt to the wound. What a jerk! I wish they would have thrown the (scrap)book at her instead of letting her cop a deal.

Edited by dwelch on 07-11-08 05:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

navseawife
Mayor
navseawife
In response to dwelch

wow this is so crazy!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

Since I work in a public defender office I can't say I'm shocked. I'll bet she won't be scrapping that picture of herself from the paper.

Edited by scrap4brains on 07-11-08 05:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GlitterDiva84
Veteran
GlitterDiva84
In response to scrap4brains

Wow! That is insane!

But you do know.... all that "evidence" maybe sold at a police auction sooner or later...perhaps in one huge cheap lot...

J/K! LOL! That's just wrong!

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to scrap4brains

• scrap4brains Said:
Since I work in a public defender office I can't say I'm shocked. I'll bet she won't be scrapping that picture of herself from the paper.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ

INSANE!!! I wonder how long she had been doing this and why the stores didn't notice their losses? I also wonder about people stealing from the Scrapbook convention. It would be very easy since there are so many people crammed into a small area. I hate stealing!!! I always worry about that on Ebay, too. Especially when I am checking out the Cricut's. How can they start out an .99? Where do the people get them?

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
$200,000 in stolen "inventory", and that doesn't even count God knows how much she'd already sold. She must have been one busy thief. I'd have been curious to know what was in the $400 purse-load. And reselling to the victims' customers just added salt to the wound. What a jerk! I wish they would have thrown the (scrap)book at her instead of letting her cop a deal.

She must have had a big purse to fit that Cricut Expression in there!

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to Frau_Cooney

This is just sad. I'm glad she got caught and is being punished.

scrapinboyz
Expert
scrapinboyz
In response to Jennifer Priest

• Jennifer Priest Said:
What's even sadder is that people actually bought stuff from her. I mean, I would be skeptical if some woman had a store set up in her house and was selling stuff from Joann's -- it's not like she could have ordered that herself. Not only is she and her accomplice wrong but the people who bought from them are wrong too--I hope they feel sheepish when they go back into the stores that have now lain people off to make up for the financial losses.

My understanding from other reports on this is that she advertised on Craig's List..."purging supplies" and such. I remember seeing such ads when I lived in Oregon (not sure if they were hers or not), I see similar ads here, and I've even placed ads for scrap stuff.

Not excusing anyone by any means.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-11-08 07:57 AM
In response to dwelch

It's bad enough the LSS owners have a problem existing with the bigger stores and prices, but to have your merchandise stolen? How rude!

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to GrandmaMichelf

OMG! I am totally shocked!

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:

sibboo
sibboo 
Idol
sibboo
In response to DawnInAZ

Wow that is a lot of stealing!

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to Jordannichole

WOW....this is unreal huh?

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I'd have been curious to know what was in the $400 purse-load.

From the way prices are these days, I bet it was three stacks of cardstock, four books of patterned paper , maybe 10 embossed sticker sets, and two sets of nice ink pens.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to GlitterDiva84

• Maricela84 Said:
Wow! That is insane!

But you do know.... all that "evidence" maybe sold at a police auction sooner or later...perhaps in one huge cheap lot...

J/K! LOL! That's just wrong!

No, you are not kidding. A relative of mine works in law enforcement and she's always letting me know when the public auctions are taking place if I'm in town. It stinks because you know the items for sale cost someone SOMETHING at some point, but the money goes back into the community, so you know, a deal is a deal.

Edited by * Julie * on 07-11-08 09:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

I think the woman is really wrong for stealing above all else, certainly. I mean really how much stuff do you need that you have to steal it? And her total disregard for everyone she hurt -- the store owners and the people who bought stuff. I mean, they are like a party to the crime probably without their even knowing! I am sure some did not know they were buying stolen stuff but please...this went on for a long time! When I was talking about the shoppers I was referring to this part of the story:

"Our customers would come in and say she is so cut-rate, we can't pass it up," Kangas told Kohl.

The customers knew that she was selling stuff for way less than they could ever buy in the store. And I mean you kind of know something is off when you are buying stuff from someone's house and it just came out in the LSS and this person is offering it for super cheap.

DivaDana
Diva
DivaDana

sad that someone feels like the only way to make it in the world is to do something like that.

Born w PrettyScissors
Resident
Born w PrettyScissors

• Jennifer Priest Said:

my thoughts exactly.

I've worked at two scrapbook store s over the last 7 years and have seen a ton of sad shoplifting stories. The trade shows were the worst - a police officer's wife stayed in our booth one time and caught over 7 people trying to steal. Just awful!

ScrapOfRobin
Expert
ScrapOfRobin
In response to Born w PrettyScissors

What an awful thing for these businesses to go through. I hope they're able to recover and stay open. But, unfortunately, it's not unusual in these times. I have a police scanner that I listen to a lot and have realized that some people will steal anything. Copper to gas to cemetery vases to yard statues. A lady that lives around the corner from us has a set of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs yard statues that her husband gave her before he passed away. She's down to about 2 dwarfs now because of theft. I figure they'll be gone before long. Sad times, indeed.

I wish the owners a healthy boost in sales from all her former customers.

And I wish the theives a jury of scrapbookers!

SallyEgg
Veteran
SallyEgg

Wow. I live in Portland, OR. Wonder if I ever saw her...

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae

Good grief.... throw her in a vat of non acid free glue .... Evil evil evil....

stefanyb123
Expert
stefanyb123
In response to ScrapOfRobin

• ScrapOfRobin Said:
What an awful thing for these businesses to go through. I hope they're able to recover and stay open. But, unfortunately, it's not unusual in these times. I have a police scanner that I listen to a lot and have realized that some people will steal anything. Copper to gas to cemetery vases to yard statues. A lady that lives around the corner from us has a set of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs yard statues that her husband gave her before he passed away. She's down to about 2 dwarfs now because of theft. I figure they'll be gone before long. Sad times, indeed.

I wish the owners a healthy boost in sales from all her former customers.

And I wish the theives a jury of scrapbookers!

No disrespect, but I cracked up thinking about snow white and the 2 dwarfs..lol....

suzilea
Diva
suzilea
In response to dwelch

they should chop her hands off. thieves are awful.

Ann Arbogast
Veteran
Ann Arbogast

I remember this when it first made headlines.
Thanks for posting the update.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Ann Arbogast

How completely awful!! To think this was going on not very far at all from where I live! I love that Craft Warehouse store! I haven't been to any of those smaller stores, because I have an lss that's closer and these all are a fairly good drive away, but I might write down their names and make a day out of visiting them sometime(when I have $ to spend). I wish the store owners well and hope they can recover from her stealing their merchandise, and their business! I can't imagine buying supplies from a store in someone's house--would seem a little fishy!

Kimberly Rae
Diva
Kimberly Rae
In response to Jordannichole

I have bipolar disorder, but I would never use it as an excuse for stealing.... that's just LOW.... low and it makes me mad...

Denise Jensen
Pro
Denise Jensen
In response to Kimberly Rae

• Quote:

People are amazing. I just don't understand why people think it's ok to do stuff like this. She should be ashamed of herself!

I work for a center for children with special needs and today we had a huge rummage sale for our students to help raise money for their yearbooks. Some of our kids have very little, but I couldn't believe people where actually trying
to steal from them!! Caught quite a few. Unreal!
What is this world coming to?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-12-08 04:35 PM
In response to Denise Jensen

• keebler813 Said:
  • Quote:

People are amazing. I just don't understand why people think it's ok to do stuff like this. She should be ashamed of herself!

I work for a center for children with special needs and today we had a huge rummage sale for our students to help raise money for their yearbooks. Some of our kids have very little, but I couldn't believe people where actually trying
to steal from them!! Caught quite a few. Unreal!
What is this world coming to?

Ok, now that's even sadder than this woman stealing all this scrapbooking stuff. I mean really. Stealing at a rummage sale? That's lower than whale you-know-what on the ocean floor.

chocodlite2
Guru
chocodlite2

How crazy is that...She was beyond bold to have thought she could continue this & not get caught, it amazes me that it took so long though...

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to chocodlite2

That is so terribly sad and ridiculous! I hope the businesses are doing well. Lots of places are closing down because of the economy. Hopefully even though they had to go through this they will survive.

Hannah S
Expert
Hannah S
In response to llprncess3

That is just crazy! Dishonest people just make me sick, there is no nice way of saying it.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to Hannah S

It makes me so mad to read about people that do stuff like this! She's so NOT a scrapper! She's just plain stupid!! I feel sorry for the scrapbook store .

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to Scrapkaty

The world has become such an unhappy place at times. Hopefully, the universe will deal with her in kind.

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to NoirCat

Whoa! What a HUGE hoard of stuff! That's terrible Poor shop owners!

I just fail to understand what goes on inside some people's heads.

kpargin
Resident
kpargin

That is too bad that people have to do that! Find another way to make some money! I feel bad for all those people who own a business who get ripped off by others.

stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene
In response to kpargin

Unbelievable! It is so sad to see what people will do, desperate or not! It just makes things worse for everyone! About the rummage sale - that one blows my mind, too. My grandmother would shake her head and say "tsk, tsk, tsk".

SweetMelissa
Expert
SweetMelissa

Oh wow thats just sad and terrible.

weathergirl777
Resident
weathergirl777
In response to SweetMelissa

I think my area has this problem because last week at my M's, there were security locks on EVERY Jolee's embellishments and I had to get a worker to even get one off. My dad used to work undercover at Disneyland catching shoplifters and you would be surprised at who does it. It was mostly women with strollers and some were even teaching the kids how to do it! Most of these people have no remorse or regret, they just have it in their minds that THEY deserve it if they can't afford it. Being a teacher, I am seeing this attitude in our future generation starting as young as Kindergarten and it scares me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics