Username Post: QOTD 8/18        (Topic#1475921)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-18-08 03:09 AM

Do you scraplift? How do you feel about this as a whole?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Huskymom

I don't 'lift as a rule. I find it hard to do, simply because I'm usually trying to fit 80 gazillion bits of photos on one page. I do find inspiration from pages, but I don't try to replicate it in my work.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 08-18-08 03:28 AM
In response to Huskymom

No, I don't. I did one lift from a magazine years and years ago. Though I'm sure I get ideas from here for things on my pages, so maybe I do in a way.

I don't have a feeling about it. I know imatation is supposedly the best form of flattery. And if someone lifting me, I would think it was pretty cool. I have the book "Scrap Maps" with a ton of sketches in it, but I never use it.

I just have a hard time imagining my pictures on someone elses layout, even though lifting doesn't mean duplicating item per item, color for color.

Picture Happy
Governor
Picture Happy
In response to KimKV

I Start out lifting, but then my page never rarely turns out the same and so it's more inspired- but I guess you could say that's lifting.

SweetMelissa
Expert
SweetMelissa
In response to Picture Happy

I don't scrap lift very often. If I am in a scrap block I might. I usually get inspired off of the colors, elements or photo placements.

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to SweetMelissa

I have scraplifted a couple of times. Other then that I do use sketches from pagemaps or from others when I have a little scrappers block.

Deanna Kyre
Diva
Deanna Kyre
In response to SweetMelissa

I love to scraplift! Sometimes I try to see how identical I can get my page to theirs, or sometimes it will just be one or 2 elements to someone's page that I really loved and wanted to use. I would not get many LO's done if it wasn't for scraplifting. Maybe that makes me not very creative, but it doesn't mean I'm enjoying my hobby any less

niecey62
Resident
niecey62
In response to Huskymom

I have scrap-lifted before, especially when my mojo was playing hide and seek. Sometimes I will see something and maybe use that idea on part of my page. I get a lot of inspiration from seeing other peoples work.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to niecey62

I love to use sketches and the layouts of others as inspiration. I don't think I ever follow them exactly either. (Usually not the same colors, papers, or embellishments.) I find that if I have "scrapblock" sketches are a great way to get creative again.

I don't have a problem with scraplifting. I just make sure I always give credit in my gallery to the sketch or layout I used.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to niecey62

Yep, I have scraplifted and have been scraplifted. Sometimes I see something that is so perfect and I just want to make it so bad!

For me, time is an issue so sometimes when I've lost my scrap mojo or just to save time, I'll flip to my faves/magazines and see something that inspires me and maybe I'll use a technique/idea or maybe I'll scraplift the whole thing!

Edited by peenut_23 on 08-18-08 05:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nrthwdscrapper
Mayor
nrthwdscrapper
In response to peenut_23

I scraplift...usually a placement of photos or paper or an element. But rarely do I lift the whole LO. I love sketches too. I have such limited time to scrapbook, so I use it as a way to speed up the process if I'm stalling when trying to do a LO.

-Kristy-
Diva
-Kristy-
In response to nrthwdscrapper

Yes I have scrap-lifted. Mostly just bit and pieces of a lo. I have never lifted a whole lo.

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza

I use sketches more than I scraplift but yes I do scrapalift. I agree that it is a timesaver & it is used for inspiration rather than using it exactly.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

I have scraplifted two or 3 times, and I always post who I scrap lifted from, and I have also had people lift my work as well. I dont see a problem with lifting as long as credit is given to the person that was lifted.. other times I use sketches, or just come up with ideas on the spot.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma

I scraplifted totally one time - scrapperk's Baby Love lo published on June 13 this year. I had the perfect photo and it turned out beautifully. I mean, its as near as I could get to her supreme lo. And I understand she scraplifted from someone else. Isn't that neat? I have the credit tag ready to attach to this layout.
Other than that, I look at this site for inspiration - whether that is scraplifting, I don't know. Uh, inspiration and education.
Oh and I have plans for mamarazzi's June 2 lo called "eat my dust". Just gotta find the right photos.

Edited by okiegrandma on 08-18-08 05:40 AM. Reason for edit: Had more to say.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297
In response to scrapalooza

No, not really. It doesn't bother me, and if someone lifted my page, I'd be flattered. However, I just have trouble reproducing an existing layout...not even sure I could scraplift myself!

Charygirl
Mayor
Charygirl
In response to okiegrandma

Well sometimes you HAVE to scrapjack in order to participate in some of the challenges here. It's not a big deal.

Scraplifting has many forms....like PageMaps, or a technique they used, or a paper that caught your eye. Thats why sbdotcom starting writing "How To" articles....to help out people stuck or interested in fresh ideas....
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/tech/261.html
As long as you're not saying the original idea is completely yours and submitting it to a mag or something. Scrapjacking is a good way to hone your skills.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-18-08 05:59 AM
In response to niecey62

If I scraplift at all, it's only colors and even then I end up doing something completely different. It definitely helps for inspiration and a "jumping off" point.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Crystal Lullaby

I scraplift and use sketches (the two concepts are pretty similar). If it were up to me, there'd only be like two different ways to put pictures and embellishments on a page. The actual placement of objects on the page is really not my strong point. I never scraplift from scrapbook.com (I sometimes want to, but my computer is downstairs from my scrap room, so...), but I often do from magazines. If these women are published, I figure they know how many people will look at the layouts and scrap lift them. Becky Fleck's pagemaps are the love of my life. I don't think I could ever enter a scraplifted or pagemaped sketch into publication, unless it was a very varied sketch.

Kathy_in_wlsv
Pro
Kathy_in_wlsv
In response to annoniemous

I dont because I just dont see how someone elses work relates to my experiences..

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

I do! It's super helpful to get me going. I don't think I've been scraplifted other than in challenges but that doesn't mean I'm not open to it! Scraplifting really helps me try new things!

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

I used to never scraplift, I loved the whole idea of creating something new and exciting for me...now I would scraplift an element or idea from magazines but never a full layout.

Well enter my DD, now there just isn't as much time as I used to have, so very recently I began scraplifting frequently. but I realize that now even though I start out to just scraplift the layout, I always end up changing it and it doesn't even look the same by the time I am finished.

i have dreams of one day being published, so in order for me to make sure I don't submit a layout that I have scraplifted I always put the source on the back of the layout. since often time they look different, I am not sure if I need to do this - we all get inspired everywhere, I do it to make sure I give the proper credit where due though...

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to nancyhyland

I scraplift an idea, or a technique here and there, but not a whole layout. I don't think there is anything wrong with scraplifting.

~*~Kathie~*~
Diva
~*~Kathie~*~
In response to nancyhyland

I have scraplifted a couple of times, different paper and embellies of course. I wanted to learn how they layered their pp. I do love to use sketches and I do give credit for both. I would be so flattered if someone lifted one of my lo's. I save sketches from some of the talented ladies here and print them out and keep them in a 3-ring notebook. Like most of you, I just get tremendous inspiration from the gallery.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi

• saquartey Said:
I scraplift and use sketches (the two concepts are pretty similar). If it were up to me, there'd only be like two different ways to put pictures and embellishments on a page. The actual placement of objects on the page is really not my strong point. I never scraplift from scrapbook.com (I sometimes want to, but my computer is downstairs from my scrap room, so...), but I often do from magazines. If these women are published, I figure they know how many people will look at the layouts and scrap lift them. Becky Fleck's pagemaps are the love of my life. I don't think I could ever enter a scraplifted or pagemaped sketch into publication, unless it was a very varied sketch.

ITA- placement is my #1 problem in scrapping. Most of the time when I scraplift I just use a sketch, but sometimes I lift a whole LO. And most of the time I don't give credit because a) I don't remember where I printed the idea from or b) it's just in my scrapbooks at home, so who cares where the idea came from. I mean, in 20 years will I really care that I lifted an idea from "PrettyPolly42"?

That being said, I don't submit for publication, either.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to scrappyJedi

I scraplifted for a challenge recently. I found it very hard to do. If I have lifted in the past it has been subconsciously.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• scrappyJedi Said:
I mean, in 20 years will I really care that I lifted an idea from "PrettyPolly42"?

and If we are talking about "giving credit, where credit is due" then we should also get "hot under the collar" when people don't list the materials they use... Every paper, ribbon, sticker, stamp, rub-on, die-cut, punch, ink pad, marker, etc. Each of these materials was designed by someone else (even if it was just deciding the color.)

animemama
Veteran
animemama

I use sketches on almost every layout, and scraplift - use ideas from another layout - sometimes. I rarely out-and-out copy someone else's layout, except as a challenge, and then I'll still use my own papers and embellishments to fit my photos. I have a really hard time visualizing how something's going to look when it's done, so I need to use a model. And left to myself (like someone else said) I'd end up using the same few ideas over and over, just because I know they work. That's just the way my mind works.

Whether we're conscious of it or not, we all absorb ideas and inspiration from other scrappers and assimilate those ideas into our own layouts, so ultimately we're all scraplifting from each other whether or not we intend to, and there really are no truly original ideas. I have no interest in submitting layouts for publication, so crediting my scraplifts isn't a problem. If I post a layout on my blog that's heavily lifted from someone, I'll credit that. Sketches are intended to be used and copied, so I never worry about that.

tuckerlisa
Guru
tuckerlisa
In response to animemama

I totally scraplift all the time. I usually start with a lo I tore out of a magazine. I don't usually have the same papers or embellishments but I will use similar colors. It never turns out exactly the same and most of the time they don't look similar at all, but that's not what I intended to do. Just having an example in front of me gets me going.

boomersgang
Resident
boomersgang

I used to be dead-set against it, but now I live by it. With 7 ongoing albums at any given time, it's the only way I stay "sort of" caught up. I think it's perfectly fine to do as long as it's for personal use. It's not like I'm going to submit any scraplifted layouts for publication or contests (as if I had time to do it anyway). Plus I use different papers, colors, embellishments and sometimes change other things, so it usually doesn't look exactly the same.
Lori

Edited by boomersgang on 08-18-08 08:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

I have no issues with anyone scraplifting. The only thing that would bother me is if they used a scraplift for a contest or tried to present it as a 100% original idea. I do think you can be inspired by something but not scraplift from it, and I think that would still be an original idea. Example: If you're inspired by color, but didn't use any of the other elements, then that would still be original enough to just be an inspiration.

I've been inspired to scrap by looking at awesome layouts, but the closest I've come to scraplifting is using sketches.

I even often have trouble using sketches because it can be difficult to find one that works with the photos I want to scrap.

Aumommie
Diva
Aumommie

I have scraplifted a few times.

I think it is ok ,but I give the person credit if I post it in my Gallery. It bothers me that people would take someone else's idea and not give them credit.

Ma25
Ma25 
Expert
Ma25
  • Ma25 on 08-18-08 11:48 AM
In response to Huskymom

I have never totally scraplifted, but I do take inspiration from others. I have viewed some amazing techniques through this site that I would have never thought up on my own. If I post a page that fits someone elses style, I hope they feel free to scraplift or be inspired by it.

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to boomersgang

Hot Under The Collar? Is that a new line?

scrapinlove
Veteran
scrapinlove

I wouldnt say that I totally scraplift. I sometimes find a LO that I like the design of, but my finished product rarely looks like the inspiration.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson

I don't usually scraplift in entirety. I have done so once or twice. But usually I find inspiration in someone else's work and I may use the bit that inspires me. Besides, it is almost impossible to be 100% original!

The Duchess of Sassytown
Diva
The Duchess of Sassytown
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
Do you scraplift? How do you feel about this as a whole?

Nope, don't scrap lift.... Doesn't bother me....

Bubblegirl
Queen
Bubblegirl
In response to boomersgang

I have done it before, and will do it again. As others have said, sometimes it ends up totally different than the inspiration piece.

ScrappyPrincess
Idol
ScrappyPrincess

I haven't scraplifted but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you give credit where credit is due. I do occasionally use an idea from one of someone else's pages. It just gives me more inspiration, but helps me be creative in my own way.

Scrappy Nan
Idol
Scrappy Nan

i don't think i have really scraplifted exactly from another person (except for challenges), but i do lift basic templates, i guess. i think it is fine to scraplift - and as long as the design is interpreted independently and made "your own" then it's great. if it is an IDENTICAL lift, then the original design should always be cited.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Scrappy Nan

I've scraplifted different ideas, but never a whole page. I do think scraplifting is the highest form of compliment in the scrapworld though. I would be honored if someone liked my work enough to scraplift it.

lilymommy
Diva
lilymommy
In response to Huskymom

I rarely scraplift. I like to submit so it has to be my orifginal work. I will look at other layouts and kind of file away little bits and pieces that I'd like to incorporate into my stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with scraplifting though. It's a great way to learn new techniques or to get out of a rut

SspGrandma
Expert
SspGrandma

i know i pick up ideas from others and incorporated them into my lo but i've never really copied an exact lo, i'm thinking about trying it though, because i'm starting to feel like all of my pages kinda look the same!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics