Username Post: ~~~~~World Card Making Day Challenges ~~~~~        (Topic#1481789)
camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Hooray!!! It’s here! Saturday October 4th is World Card Making Day, and I'm hosting some challenges here on scrapbook.com. Because we are such a global community, and it’s already Saturday for some of you, I am starting the challenges tonight.

Here’s what we’re going to do:

I will be posting three challenges. The first - the ‘big mack daddy’ of challenges is toward the bottom of this post.

Saturday morning (Eastern Time) I’ll post the second challenge.

Saturday afternoon I’ll post the third challenge.

The first challenge is more for fun, and a really good chance to fill up your stash with cards.

The second and third challenges are more simple, but the winner of a great RAK will be chosen from those two challenges.

Everyone will have until Monday 10/6 at noon (Eastern Time) to get their pictures loaded. Starting Monday night everyone can PM me with their choice for best card from the second and third challenges. If there is one clear, landslide winner, we will go with that winner. If not, we’ll take the top 3-5 choices and have a poll to select the winner. You'll be able to find more info about the RAK on my blog (link below), as well as more info about the challenges throughout the weekend.

So what is the first challenge you ask?????

You need three (3) coordinating sheets of 12 x 12 scrapping paper. Then you need to start making cards, and see how many cards you can make from that 3 square feet of paper! When you are finished, you must load pics of them here on this thread. If you are taking pics it will be easier for you to take one of all of them together, but if you are scanning, try to get as many on an image as you can. BUT!!! You have to save your slivers of paper, and take a picture or scan an image of what you have left over!

Edited to add: You can use any size you want, I just used the A2 size (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) because I do a lot of cards that size and it works for me.

As for covering the whole card - NO! you don't have to cover the whole card. Be creative, have fun, that's what this is all about anyway, right? Just run with it and see what you can do!

The pic of my scraps, along with ‘some’ of my cards are below. I will tell you later how many cards I made, but not YET!!!

I will not be moving everything to the top post - mainly because if I did, that’s all I’d be doing this weekend, and I want to play some too! Also, please take some time this weekend to share some love on your friends cards, okay!

Now, let’s get that paper and embellies flying and start scrappin!!!!!

Trimmings from WCMD Challenge 1 Papers
By Camelliacottage

Edited by camelliacottage on 10-08-08 04:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper
In response to camelliacottage

Yay Becky! I am super excited! Can't wait until my house is cleaned up and I can get started! I do have a few questions though:

1) Do the cards need to be a certain size? like 4 1/4 x 5 1/2? or can they be any size? I know this is just for fun so I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I just wanted to make sure.

2) Do you have to completely cover the card with paper? or can it parts of the paper and the cs base of the card showing through. Again, I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I noticed yours are all completely covering the card base, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks so much for hosting this challenge!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to darlinscrapper

Great questions Angie, and I had actually answered one of them in the challenge, then just as I was about to post it I got a PM, forgot and clicked OK and lost it all

But, to answer your question, you can use any size you want, I just used the A2 size (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) because I do a lot of cards that size and it works for me.

As for covering the whole card - NO! you don't have to cover the whole card. Be creative, have fun, that's what this is all about anyway, right? Just run with it and see what you can do!

After all, Angie - you are super creative and I can't wait to see what you can do!!!

Becky

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

Thanks Beck! You are wonderful!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Hey Becky...looks like fun. Hope I have the time to join in the fun...sure gonna try. Hey, I'm up most of the night any way...

Aunt25
Aunt25 
Queen
Aunt25
In response to Linnny

I'm gonna try really hard to get these done. got a busy weekend ahead.

rahulsmom
Angel
rahulsmom
In response to Aunt25

Yay Becky...well I'll get to it soon.
Jamie that is a great but scary avatar. Have a great weekend.

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories
In response to rahulsmom

ok Im in I am actually staying home so I can do these and will go to Apple fest on sunday so I dont miss out on either!
See you tomorrow!

Rusha
Rusha 
Diva
Rusha
  • Rusha on 10-03-08 09:14 PM
In response to northernmemories

This sounds like fun! I am going to try to get it done!!

scraphappyjenn:D
Diva
In response to Rusha

This sounds like fun and I want to play too!

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4
In response to scraphappyjenn:D

Can't wait to get started!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to TexasMomOf4

Good Morning Everyone!!! I'll be back soon to post part 2 of the challenges. This will be one of the two challenges that will be used for choosing who gets the RAK prize, so they'll have to be pretty special!

Be back soon, Becky

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Okay, here we go again!!! Challenge two of three challenges for the day. This one is easy peasy!!!

Make a card. Any theme, any colors, any papers, any size.

The twist??? The front of the card has to have a hidden message somewhere on it!

Both of my examples have tags that are hidden under a picture or quote, but you can add a hidden message in many ways!

You can do a flap with a funky or pretty catch or clasp.

You can do a small envelope affixed to the front of the card and decorated, with a tiny card inside that envelope.

You could do something with a magnetic clasp where the message is on the underneath side of a shape.

Or have a bird or butterfly with the message hidden beneath a wing.

You can do anything you want, as long as there is a hidden message on front of the card. Y’all are creative folks! And besides, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t enjoy a challenge, now would you??? So put on your thinking caps, pull out those supplies, and get crafting!

Here are my examples. There will be more info and pics on my blog as usual (give me a few minutes to get it posted, please). Also, as I find them, I’m posting links to other blogs and websites that have challenges going today, and some of them have some pretty special prizes, too. So check in there often! Becky

Let Your Heart Rejoice 1
By Camelliacottage

WCMD Challenge Two - Let Your Heart Rejoice 2
By Camelliacottage

WCMD Challenge Two - A Merry Halloween 1
By Camelliacottage

WCMD Challenge Two - A Merry Halloween 3
By Camelliacottage

Aunt25
Aunt25 
Queen
Aunt25

hmmmm, already have an idea for challenge #2, hopefully tomorrow night once everyone goes home I can get those creative juices flowing and crank out some cards.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to Aunt25

Good Morning...or is it afternoon. I've been up since 5:30 am...yup, couldn't sleep, as usual. But this time I had somethin' to do.

Here are my cards made from 3 sheets of paper, oh and my scraps too. I made 4 (A2) cards and 3 - 3.5 x 5 cards. I'm thinkin' of making a cardholder for these cards and selling it as a set of 'friendship' cards.

Becky, this was fun and look forward to the next challenge, you sweetie, you!!!!

World Card Making Day Challenge (4 of 7 cards)
By Linnny

World Card Making Day Challenge (3 of 7 cards)
By Linnny

Scraps from WCMD Challenge
By Linnny

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Linnny

i´m getting started tonight Becky!

I can start thinking of the sheets of papers for starters...

vanessajd2285
Veteran
vanessajd2285
In response to StrawberryPia

i would love to do this...i am making christmas cards for the first time...and i know that this is a stupid question probably...but cavn you wonderful ladies tell me how you get your cards to be A2 size (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) and 3.5 x 5 cards?? im just trying to figure out how to fold them?!?! thank you!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to vanessajd2285

• vanessajd2285 Said:
i would love to do this...i am making christmas cards for the first time...and i know that this is a stupid question probably...but cavn you wonderful ladies tell me how you get your cards to be A2 size (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) and 3.5 x 5 cards?? im just trying to figure out how to fold them?!?! thank you!

Hi Vanessa!
If you are making an A2 (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) you would use a piece of cardstock that measures 11" x 4 1/4" or 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"...depending on how you want the card to open and fold in half.

For a 3 1/2 x 5 you would use a piece of cardstock that measures 10 x 3 1/2 or 7 x 5...again depending how you want the card to open and fold in half.

Hope that helps ya...and hope I wrote it correctly too

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to Linnny

Hi Vanessa, and welcome, welcome, WELCOME!!!

I make a lot of my cards from 8 1/2 x 11 inch white or ivory cardstock 110 lb or greater), and I usually make a lot at one time so I have them on hand. Here's what you do!

Cut an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of cardstock in half across the middle so you have 2 pieces that are 8 1/2" x 5 1/2". Measure and score from long side to long side

Edited by camelliacottage on 10-08-08 04:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ginger_williams
Veteran
ginger_williams

here is mine to -- challenge one.
Out of white card stock I got two big cards and two mini cards.

my left over scraps....which I had a lot of, I should of used 2 things of cards stock paper!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Here it is!!! Challenge Three of Three, and the last challenge for which your cards will be considered in the giveaway!

The challenge is this! Take a few minutes and think about all the people who do things for you all the time. It could be your spouse, your best friend, your parents. It could be your day care provider, your pastor, or a friend who keeps you in their prayers. It could be your child who makes you happy, or your postman, hair dresser, or a child's teacher. Just choose someone who doesn't get enough thanks, and make a card of gratitude for that person. It can be any colors or design, or any size - it just must be a theme of thanks or gratitude.

The twist??? This card needs to be in the mail or hand delivered no later than Wednesday 10/8!!! Make the card, write them a note, and get it in the mail, but not before you get a picture of it loaded here for the voting!

If you would like, we'd love to hear who your card will go to - but it's definitely not a condition of the challenge.

That's it, such a simple act, but by doing this you'll make someone's day much brighter!

Here's my card, I actually made it a couple of weeks ago for the 2S4U challenge, and made up my mind then to use this as one of the categories.

For WCMD Challenge Three of Three
By Camelliacottage

Now, I've been up most of the night and in here all day, and hubby and I are going over to the school to play for a while on our bikes and with his new frisbees. So I'll be back soon to check in on y'all! Becky

ginger_williams
Veteran
ginger_williams

card for challenge two

rahulsmom
Angel
rahulsmom
In response to ginger_williams

Becky ...when u said 3 co-od papers does it also mean the base cardstock or 3 pp other than the base. Just a silly question.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to rahulsmom

Ok Becky! Here are my first 3 cards! One more is drying! I´ll continue tomorrow!

WCMD Card 1-3
By StrawberryPia

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

Deepa I am sure she meant the pattern papers the base doesnt count. And that fits with her examples.I hope that helps you

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

ok dd has cried all day long we sat outside for a while and I did some cutting for a swap but project but didnt get a chance to start I hope to start in a little bit when she finally sleeps! oh and i didnt have any card blanks so i had to make a trip to walmart too I thought I was so prepared!

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

I'll try to finish some cards tonight and tomorrow.

ginger_williams
Veteran
ginger_williams

here is my cards for challenge 3

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to rahulsmom

• rahulsmom Said:
Becky ...when u said 3 co-od papers does it also mean the base cardstock or 3 pp other than the base. Just a silly question.

Hi Deepa - sorry it took me so long! After bike riding and frisbee playing we went to town to the DQ for dinner and forgot until we were already there that the fair's in town and boy, was that DQ busy! The fairground in our town is right smack dab in the middle of town - about a block from the courthouse square. We didn't go down that way, too crazy for us old timers, lol! So, here's my answer!

I used 3 coordinating sheets of scrapbooking paper. That way you can get more cards, but since this is all for fun, you can do it just however you want to do it! I promise it won't matter a bit if you include a sheet or two of cardstock as part of your 3 sheets! Hope that helps!

I'm checking out early - Couldn't sleep last night and now I'm exhausted, but I'll check in later on. Have a great evening! Becky

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

Hello all! It's been a really crazy day and I haven't gotten to work on my cards nearly as much as I wanted to, but it is almost bedtime for the kiddos so I'll hopefully get a bunch done. I am really excited to do them, I have some really cool ideas. Oh yeah, Becky can we only enter 1 card per challenge? I have 2 really good ideas for challenge #2, but I'm assuming we just get to enter once.

Happy WCMD everyone!!!

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

I am still working on the first Challenge I have 6 cards done already and a bunch of paper left so I better keep working

Diva

I already got 8 cards done this morning and stopped all day because I ran out of umph! I still have paper left over!

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

Im now up to 10 and still have more paper Im running out of ideas!

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

ok its well past midnight and i am so tired! I think i finished challenge 1 not because i have used all the paper but because I am out of ideas and its late lol so final count is 19 i might have to make one more so i have an even 20 but that can be in the am
ttyl

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

Good morning!
Ready for more cards....

rahulsmom
Angel
rahulsmom

Thanks for the answer Becky. I am up early coz I need to make a card for dh's birthday & am also going to Jersey today to visit my co-sister who has come from India. I have some goodies in the form of dresses & sarees to receive from her. So looking forward to that. I will do a few cards now. See u all later.

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4
In response to rahulsmom

I have #3 left to do, but I've got an idea for that one just need to complete it. Then I need to take pics and upload.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Good morning!!!!

I did Challenge #2...the hidden message this morning to the sound of rain beating down on the skylight...

The hidden message reads: "Joy is the feeling of grinning inside."

WCMD Challenge - Hidden Message
By Linnny

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4
In response to Linnny

Here are all three of mine

WCMD Challenge #1 - 20 Cards
By TexasMomOf4

WCMD Challenge #1 leftover scraps
By TexasMomOf4

WCMD Challenge #2 - Hidden Message
By TexasMomOf4

WCMD Challenge #2 - Hidden Message
By TexasMomOf4

WCMD Challenge #3 - Thanks
By TexasMomOf4

Diva

I did challenge 1 and 2 and they are in my card gallery...but i don't know how to post my pictures on here...

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

Okay, I'm really excited to share this card with you all! It turned out just as I hoped, which is definitely not always the case. Anyway, it is for Category #2. It was inspired by the billboards that are sectioned and then the sections turn to reveal a new ad. As you pull the metal scroll it reveals a 2 new images. There is more detail in the description sections of the cards. Thanks for looking, and thanks for such a fun challenge Becky!!!

3 Kings view 1
By Darlinscrapper

3 Kings view 2
By Darlinscrapper

3 Kings view 3
By Darlinscrapper

Edited by darlinscrapper on 10-05-08 02:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

• scraphappyjenn:D Said:
I did challenge 1 and 2 and they are in my card gallery...but i don't know how to post my pictures on here...

Jenn, I hope you don't mind if I link them for you!
I'll pm you some directions on how to do it.

Baby Girl Card
By Scraphappyjenn:D

Baby Girl Card

Cards

Cards

Scraps

Aunt25
Aunt25 
Queen
Aunt25

wow, you gals are cranking out those cards! wondering if I'll have time tonight to work on some.

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

I finished the card for the 3rd challenge and now I need to do the 2nd challenge. I will have to post tomorrow cuse by the time I got home it was too dark to take pics

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

Hi, Becky and everybody! Well, since I didn't get to start playing until late this evening, I decided to skip challenge 1 for now. I'm so slow that that would take me into week after next! LOL! But, I will go back to that just for fun because it's a great challenge. But, for the sake of time, I just skipped to challenges 2 and 3, and here are mine:

#2-Hidden message: My husband's going on a week long business trip so I'm going to hide this in his luggage!
Miss You with message closed
Miss You with message open

#3-Grateful: I'm going to give this to a fellow Band mom (my ds high school band). She was chairperson for not just one but two major events we have going on for marching season and she's worked her tail off! I just wanted her to know we appreciate all she's done. I will hand deliver it to her on Tues evening just before one of the major events:
Thank You

Sorry, but I don't know how to make it show just pics of my cards in the body of my posting (if someone could PM me with those instructions, I'd really appreciate that!) so I just posted links to them in my gallery.

Thanks for looking and thanks, Becky, for some unique and fun challenges! Hope everyone's had a great weekend.

Edited by GaMtnScrap on 10-05-08 08:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to GaMtnScrap

Here is my card for challenge 3. It is a card for my post lady. I thought I should give her one before I start receiving all the packages in the mail from all the swaps I joined!!!

Challege 3

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Good Morning sweet things!

Beautiful cards ladies. Angie, your secret message card is amazing.

Here's my Challenge 3...gratitude. The card is for a special long-time friend.

WCMD Challenge 3 ~ Gratitude
By Linnny

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to Linnny

Good Morning Everyone! I'm sorry I didn't stop in yesterday, it seems I had a little stomach bug and spent most of the day in the facilities, so just didn't feel like chatting much!

Well, it's 'Mama's first of the month Shop-a-thon' today, so I'll be gone all day, so I'm extending the challenge to 5pm ET tonight. Then after 6pm ET you can all start PM'ing me your favorite card of the weekend. You need to do that before noon on Wednesday!!!

The rest of this week will be spent with me getting ready for our week-long camping trip which starts on Saturday, so I'll be in and out, but I hope to get a clear winner of the RAK by Friday night!!!

Have a great day!!! Becky

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

Here is the card for category #3. TFL!

gracias
By Darlinscrapper

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

And here are the ones for category #1, I only got 8 done (counting the gracias card that I made for cat. 3) and I still have 3/4 of each of the 3 pp's left. I know the challenge is officially over, but I'm still going to keep going on it to see how many I actually come up with when I'm all finished using my pp's.

WCMD cards group 1
By Darlinscrapper

WCMD cards group 2
By Darlinscrapper

Edited by darlinscrapper on 10-06-08 07:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

here are some of the 22 cards for #1

Winter and sparkling snow Cards
By Northernmemories

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

here is mine for challenge 3 didnt get to 2 this was delivered by hand to my friend at work and it made her cry
Thanks By Northernmemories

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

here is the rest of challenge 1 cards and the scraps
holiday cards 2 By Northernmemories
holiday cards By Northernmemories
scraps of pattern paper By Northernmemories

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4

Melissa, love all those cards!

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

I have to tell you guys! I won the challenge on Basic Grey ´s blog here at sb.com !! The 3 pink cards won! I can´t believe it!

ginger_williams
Veteran
ginger_williams

• StrawberryPia Said:
I have to tell you guys! I won the challenge on Basic Grey ´s blog here at sb.com !! The 3 pink cards won! I can´t believe it!

wow! congrats

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4

Congrats Pia!

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper

Pia that is SOOOOO awesome! Congratulations to you! So do you get any fun goodies since you were the winner?

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

Congrats Pia! Your cards ARE amazing after all!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Okay everyone! Paper and scissors down! The challenge is over, and the vote for best card is ON!!! Please pm me with your favorite card posted on this thread through last night. Thursday morning I'll see what the numbers show, and if necessary put up a poll. If it's a clear winner, then there will be no need for a poll and I'll just announce the winner. So, let's get those PM's a flying!!! Have a blessed say, Becky

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

• darlinscrapper Said:
Pia that is SOOOOO awesome! Congratulations to you! So do you get any fun goodies since you were the winner?

they will send me a card pack of Wassail!!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

• camelliacottage Said:

Okay everyone! Paper and scissors down! The challenge is over, and the vote for best card is ON!!! Please pm me with your favorite card posted on this thread through last night. Thursday morning I'll see what the numbers show, and if necessary put up a poll. If it's a clear winner, then there will be no need for a poll and I'll just announce the winner. So, let's get those PM's a flying!!! Have a blessed say, Becky

Good Afternoon ladies!
Becky, just wanna make sure I got this right. We are voting on Challenge #3...the 'thank you' cards, right???

Great fun...thanks for hosting!!!!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage
In response to Linnny

Hi Linnny - it can be any card from challenges 2 or 3 - just not challenge 1. Thanks for asking, though! B.

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Good Morning Everyone!!!

Just a reminder to vote, vote, vote for your favorite card for the big RAK!!! We have 8 votes as of now, and they include Thanks by Northernmemories, Miss You by GaMtnScraps, 3 Kings by darlinscrapper, and Hidden Message by Linnny.

There is a clear winner at this point, but I want everyone to have a chance to vote, so you have through midnight ET to get your votes in!!!

Also, I never told you how many cards I got made from the 3 sheets of paper for Challenge One, did I??? Well, I got 15 cards!!! Here is a pic of all of them together!

WCMD Challenge - 15 cards from 3 pcs of paper
By Camelliacottage

Now, go forth and vote (And you folks from the US, don't forget to vote in the BIG election on Nov. 4th!)!!! Becky

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

congrats Pia
Wow Im in the top 4 yahoo! I am so excited!!!

TexasMomOf4
Queen
TexasMomOf4

Morning!

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!!!!

Well, the cut-off for votes was last night at midnight, and I didn't get any more votes, so...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE.......

THE WINNER IS . . . . . .

WITH A MARGIN OF 5 TO 1 TO 1 TO 1 IS ........

ANGIE!!!! YOUR INCREDIBLE 3 KINGS CARD DID THE JOB!!! EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!

Now, if you'll pm me your mailing address, I'll try to get the RAK in the mail tomorrow, but it may be the week after we get back from our trip before we get to the post office. I'll let you know when I've mailed it so you'll know when to expect it.

Thanks to everyone for participating! Blessings, Becky

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

Yay! Congratulations Angie! That card WAS amazing! Enjoy your goodies!

Thanks, Becky, for such a fun challenge. Hope we can all do this again next year! Same time, same place?

camelliacottage
Idol
camelliacottage

Hey Tish, did you get my e-mail??? Talk to you soon, Becky

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

CONGRATS TO YOU ANGIE!

darlinscrapper
Idol
darlinscrapper
In response to Linnny

Thank you so much! You are all such wonderful ladies! What fun challenges! I'm still working on #1 - really curious to see how many I can get. Becky you were such a fun and gracious hostess - thank you so much! I'll pm you.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia

Congrats Angie!!

Diva

Great job!!!!!!! Congratulations, it was such a beautiful card!

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

• camelliacottage Said:
Hey Tish, did you get my e-mail??? Talk to you soon, Becky

Yes I did, thank you! Sent you a reply this afternoon. Have fun on your trip, can't wait to hear all about your grand camping adventures when you get back! Take care!

northernmemories
Diva
northernmemories

great card and congrats see you all around!

horse-withnoname
Queen
horse-withnoname

Hi, a bit late getting the Challenge List done. Still working on cleaning up computer. Its worse than I thought.

NOVEMBER COMMUNITY CHALLENGE LIST

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics