Username Post: Adhesive Tape Runners -- What's Best Value?        (Topic#1486299)
New Kid On the Block

Hi -

Hoping for some imput from value-minded scrappers.

I love Glue Dots for photos and embellishments, but a lot of the time, I need a runner for those long edges on cardstock. And when I'm working on a big project (signs for kid's school projects, etc.) there's nothing like a runner.

I always run out sooner than I expect. What permanent 2-sided runners give best bang (length) for the buck? I'm thinking the Duck brand in the multipack. Anything more budget friendly?

Right now, I'm looking at two (count 'em, two) empty runners on a single project. Don't talk me into glue sticks, I want a cheap runner.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to fragileindustries

The ATG guns. They are pricey but well worth it and is cheaper in the long run. Actually easier on my hands/wrists. I've got the beginnings of carpal tunnel and the guns is better for me.

I used to use the Duck Easy Sticks. I'd buy them in the 4 pack for around $9. This is equal to ONE roll of ATG tape which cost me about $3.

My first order of ATG was the gun and 24 refill. With shipping it was $72 which made the cost of each roll at $3. Prices have gone up on both the gun and tapes but it's still cheaper.

Plus after 10 refills it was like free if I'd have been paying for the other adhesive.

Also, I only broke one roll of the dozens I've used. I just rethreaded it and kept on going. I can not tell you how many Easy Sticks I've broken over the past 2-3 years. I never trashed these but they were aggravating to use once broken.

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to Vivian loves BLING

I HATE

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to gmanscrap

ok....let me try this again....I HATE the small adhesive runners. I usually run out in less than one crop, and I don't overuse. I've been doing my research and I'm ready to by my ATG.

New Kid On the Block
In response to gmanscrap

Yow! You're right, it isn't cheap, but it sounds like you both did your homework. Now, about refills -- are they easy? I tried the Hema/Vario whatever they call it now, and I am reduced to tears trying to thread it. And after I posted my question, gmanscrap, my last (and third on a single big project -- 2'x3' poster) disposable runner gummed up and refused to run 1/2way thru. That's like $6 for one project! So yes, something sturdy AND easy ... talk me thru this please ...

skybluepink
Veteran
skybluepink

It is easy to load the ATG guns. You still need to thread them to a point but its a lot easier than the Herma fix. There is also a video you can download from 3M's website that shows you step by step to do it.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 11-15-08 05:12 AM
In response to skybluepink

I JUST purchased the above reference ATG Gun from here the other day and I waiting, quite anxiously for it to arrive. I have and read nothing but GREAT things about it!!! The initial purchase is pricey, I think I spent about $80, but I I bought 2 things of adhesive, plus the gun.

Crystal B.
Diva
Crystal B.
In response to KimKV

I use the Adtech ones from Wally World...the original runner w/ one refill is $4.27 and then a pack of 2 refills is $2.27. I haven't had any problems--no gumming up or anything like that, and it is SUPER easy to load the refill.

Otherwise try using a 40% off coupon at M's or HL or getting them at one of those places when they are 50% off.

Edited by Livn4change on 11-15-08 05:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dixiecorngirl
Governor
dixiecorngirl

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
The ATG guns. They are pricey but well worth it and is cheaper in the long run. Actually easier on my hands/wrists. I've got the beginnings of carpal tunnel and the guns is better for me.

I used to use the Duck Easy Sticks. I'd buy them in the 4 pack for around $9. This is equal to ONE roll of ATG tape which cost me about $3.

My first order of ATG was the gun and 24 refill. With shipping it was $72 which made the cost of each roll at $3. Prices have gone up on both the gun and tapes but it's still cheaper.

Plus after 10 refills it was like free if I'd have been paying for the other adhesive.

Also, I only broke one roll of the dozens I've used. I just rethreaded it and kept on going. I can not tell you how many Easy Sticks I've broken over the past 2-3 years. I never trashed these but they were aggravating to use once broken.

YES!!YES!!YES!!YES!!YES!! YES!! i love mine and do not know how i ever lived without it. I can do about 50-75 layouts going heavy on the tape with my ATG gun! it is priceless in what it can do for you!~

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Crystal B.

• Livn4change Said:
I use the Adtech ones from Wally World...the original runner w/ one refill is $4.27 and then a pack of 2 refills is $2.27. I haven't had any problems--no gumming up or anything like that, and it is SUPER easy to load the refill.

Otherwise try using a 40% off coupon at M's or HL or getting them at one of those places when they are 50% off.

I use the same ones and agree with you...I've had no problem with it gumming and is very easy to change the refills.

I do eventually want to get the ATG, but for now this works fine. Maybe I'll put the ATG on my Santa's wish list.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to Patti Sylvia

Like another poster, I love my Adtech runner from Walmart. You get two refills for $2.27 and it's been over a year since I replaced the runner itself, which was $4.27 and included some tape. The roll lasts a reasonable amount of time, especially considering that I tape every side of my objects. This isn't because the tape isn't sticky enough-- it's because that's the way I like it. You could just tape the corners if that's your style. I even use it to hold down chipboard and other bulky embellishments.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

i just gave up and got my type runner. Tombo mono. but it's going very fast..... i guess i'll stick to my rubber cement glue- which is cheap and avilable here without shipping....

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 11-15-08 10:11 AM

for long edges - really any paper to paper bonding I use my Fabritac liquid...doesn't warp, is fast,easym and cheaper...the only thing I do use my duck runners for is the back of my pictures.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ

• fragileindustries Said:
Hi -

Hoping for some imput from value-minded scrappers.

I love Glue Dots for photos and embellishments, but a lot of the time, I need a runner for those long edges on cardstock. And when I'm working on a big project (signs for kid's school projects, etc.) there's nothing like a runner.

I always run out sooner than I expect. What permanent 2-sided runners give best bang (length) for the buck? I'm thinking the Duck brand in the multipack. Anything more budget friendly?

Right now, I'm looking at two (count 'em, two) empty runners on a single project. Don't talk me into glue sticks, I want a cheap runner.

Are you actually using the runner all the way up and down the sides of the paper?
Using it just on the corners and a couple lines in the middle is ample. That will save you ALOT of product waste.

DawnInAZ
Queen
DawnInAZ
In response to DawnInAZ

OH and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Creative Memories tape runner from my favorite CM rep-SticklesQueenMoxie!!

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi
In response to DawnInAZ

Another vote here for ATG. I LOVE mine. I'm one of those who likes to run tape along all the edges of everything, but I can still go through a stack of layouts before I have to change tape rolls.

As an aside, I ordered some ATG tape from a place called TapeDepot- 24 1/4" wide rolls (36 yards) for $36 shipped. It's not marked acid free, but someone on splitcoast tested it with a pH pen and it was AF (and TapeDepot has an evilBay storefront and they do list the tape there as AF). I'm going to get my own pH pen and test it, as well. At the very least I'll use it when I wrap Christmas gifts and make cards.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to scrappyJedi

Melissa, I talked to Scotch directly through emails about their non-GOLD brands of adhesives for the guns. I was told without any doubt that anything not marked as GOLD, which are acid free, will turn yellow over time. So just beware of that. I bought some by mistake. Kept a box for other projects that being acid free isn't so critical for.

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi

Viv,

Thanks for the warning. This stuff isn't Scotch brand- it's TapeDepot's house brand. I'm going to do some tests with it, but probably hold off from using it on anything critical. I can always use cheap adhesive for other things, though.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

Like I do with my non-Stickles glitter glues. I don't worry about putting Stickles directly onto to photos but not the other brands, just to be on the safe side.

So TapeDepot's will fit in the ATGs?

scrappyJedi
Idol
scrappyJedi

Yes, the 1/4" will fit my ATG 714. The slots on the center are wider than the ones on the Scotch rolls, but it's working just fine. I think I need to get a second gun for the "non-Gold" adhesive. LOL!

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING

I want a second gun so I won't have to share mine.

New Kid On the Block

Thanks everyone, I clipped today's M's coupon and am off tomorrow to purchase adhesive relief.

By the way, for long edges I do like to run the whole length especially for vintage family layouts for durability -- my pages get taken in and out of sleeves because they are frequently copied by extended family.

Also, I make posters for my kids schools and other groups. The size and handling requires a lot of durability. So for industrial-type scrapping, I guess I need an industrial tape gun.

Thanks again.

New Kid On the Block

oops. Not available at M's, but I'm still convinced. Thanks everyone.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

Vivian,
Can you PM me the place you got yours? DH is looking for a christmas gift and I am seriously considering one.

Kathy Heilmann
Veteran
Kathy Heilmann
In response to CorrieW

Another vote here for the ATG gun and the ATG gold tape. One roll lasts forever and it is so much cheaper than buying refills all the time for those smaller tape dispensers. Prices for the ATG guns vary considerably. Probably the highest prices you will see are on the scrapbooking sites (like this one). These were originally created for the picture framing industry. If you google around under "framing supplies ATG" you will find some lower priced options.

HairySasquatch
Veteran
HairySasquatch
In response to Kathy Heilmann

I was at a crop this weekend and a BUNCH of the ladies had the ATG gun... it's actually pretty lightweight for being so big, and they all swear by how great it is.

New Kid On the Block
In response to HairySasquatch

Final report: got my 714 ATG and tape from the big "o" - great price, great shipping! Tried it out today. There is a learning curve, so get some scrap paper out and take a few minutes. I've printed out the loading instructions and pinned it to the wall -- easy, but I'm challenged that way and will need reminding. It will be a LONG time before I reload, I can tell. The tape capacity is HUGE.

There's a certain wrist thing involved, and it does seem cumbersome at first. All it took was a few tries and I got it. And it STICKS!!! So thank you everyone, I can't imagine going back to any other tape. It will take the place of many of my adhesives.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

The Adtech from WalMart. Very easy find, easy to use, easy to reload and it's cheap, cheap, cheap!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to olleharr

I googled framing supplies atg and found one place selling it for $38.07.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to CorrieW

I didn't see this listed so I thought I would add my favorite. It's the Tape 'n' Roller Plus by Kokuyo . I prefer the permanent adhesive to the temporary. I love the way this adhesive holds and I don't have to use much of it. I've never had any problems with it at all. It's comfortable to hold (I have arthritis in my hands) and looks cute, too. Because I've found that I don't have to use much of it, I don't run out quickly. I usually stock up on the refills when it's on sale.

New Kid On the Block

Hey Adhesive tapes when it's the matter of urgency or needs to be fit very much useful.. And at times.. crucial too..

But they should be lengthier too..

Arnold.

adhesive tape | adhesive tape manufacturer

New Kid On the Block
In response to samuelcpaul

What department can I find this adtech thing at walmart in? And what does it look like? Thanks!

Edited by TifffanyD on 02-04-10 10:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to TifffanyD

at my wally world they keep it with their scrapping supplies.

question about atg tape

is it just a long roll of tape that you "cut" with the dispenser or it is little squares or strips that come out?

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 02-04-10 02:52 PM
In response to abbynormaloh75

• abbynormaloh75 Said:

question about atg tape

is it just a long roll of tape that you "cut" with the dispenser or it is little squares or strips that come out?

the ATG uses a gun. You buy one gun and then buy refill rolls that you load into the gun.

New Kid On the Block
In response to CASBa

I agree with jenny Wren the Kokuyo is awesome and even better now that is is available to buy again.

Expert
In response to mrubino9824

I have tried it all! I have a adtech runner for small jobs but I broke down and bought an atg from framing supplies. com and it is THE BEST!!

I don't know how i scrapped without it!!! You get so much for such a cheap price!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to CASBa

• cschissell Said:
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:

question about atg tape

the ATG uses a gun. You buy one gun and then buy refill rolls that you load into the gun.

im just curious as to what the refills are like. is the gun similar to other tape guns where the tape is on continuous strip and u have to cut it by pushing against a blade or corner? or is the refil actually tape squares where the gun is just the applicator. and the tape is precut. i hope this makes sense.

pipitastro
Resident
pipitastro

• abbynormaloh75 Said:

question about atg tape

It's a long roll of tape. When you want to dispense the tape, you push the handle, press it down to whatever you're working on. When you are done just release it and kinda give a little pull. It's really nice and easy. There are also u-tube videos out there if you are curious to see how it's done.

pipitastro
Resident
pipitastro
In response to TifffanyD

Adtech is actually cheaper if you have HL in your area w/ 40% coupon. It's actually cheaper than W even without the 40% coupon.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to pipitastro

ATG all the way I can't say enough good things about it?

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

• pipitastro Said:
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:

question about atg tape

It's a long roll of tape. When you want to dispense the tape, you push the handle, press it down to whatever you're working on. When you are done just release it and kinda give a little pull. It's really nice and easy. There are also u-tube videos out there if you are curious to see how it's done.

ok so why wouldnt it work to just buy the refill and forget about the dispenser? that is what i started doing with my xyrons. it saves on the adhesive to just run it through without the big bulky machine especially with my x but i have started doing that with the bigger xyrons as well ... just buying the refills and not the machine. so i wondered if the adhesive is that good, why spent $50.00 on the gun. LOL

pipitastro
Resident
pipitastro

I suppose you could, I've read here before somebody is doing that. I was actually thinking about doing that, too. But last month I saw it for $48 at packn**** (not sure if I could say the name), with free shipping and 2 tapes. DH said that I could have it as my valentine's gift (I don't like jewelry anyway ), I couldn't resist
I think it's a matter of convenience using it with the dispenser. Having switched from double sided tape, so far I love it! BTW I use my xyron like that too! I love to see where I put my alphas so I don't waste.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • pipitastro Said:
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:

question about atg tape

ok so why wouldnt it work to just buy the refill and forget about the dispenser? that is what i started doing with my xyrons. it saves on the adhesive to just run it through without the big bulky machine especially with my x but i have started doing that with the bigger xyrons as well ... just buying the refills and not the machine. so i wondered if the adhesive is that good, why spent $50.00 on the gun. LOL

I have heard of people doing this but it would be a huge pain. I have the gun and couldn't imagine trying this. When using the gun you have to pull up to break the adhesive (it is a continous sticky strip). When I think of all my scrapbook purchases this was the best one, I use it all the time and it works so well.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

• pipitastro Said:
I suppose you could, I've read here before somebody is doing that. I was actually thinking about doing that, too. But last month I saw it for $48 at packn**** (not sure if I could say the name), with free shipping and 2 tapes. DH said that I could have it as my valentine's gift (I don't like jewelry anyway ), I couldn't resist
I think it's a matter of convenience using it with the dispenser. Having switched from double sided tape, so far I love it! BTW I use my xyron like that too! I love to see where I put my alphas so I don't waste.

thanks. that is what i was thinking. i use a double sided tape now that does NOT come in a dispenser and if i don't use that i use photo splits so mayb i am just used to placing my adhesive with my fingers...who knows. but for the cost of the gun and since several people have mentioned the bulkiness of it...i would rather test the adhesive before investing in the gun.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • pipitastro Said:

thanks. that is what i was thinking. i use a double sided tape now that does NOT come in a dispenser and if i don't use that i use photo splits so mayb i am just used to placing my adhesive with my fingers...who knows. but for the cost of the gun and since several people have mentioned the bulkiness of it...i would rather test the adhesive before investing in the gun.

I would just caution that this is not like normal double sided tape which peels nicely off a roll. The adhesive is very elastic and pulls and can gum up if you don't use the gun correctly, its meant to be broken which is why I know it would be a pain without the gun. I have seen them for $38 and it is worth it. I am an accountant and I can make a dollar stretch I will do my best but this is a bit much even for me.

Edited by CorrieW on 02-11-10 06:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CJSBABYCAKES
Veteran
CJSBABYCAKES

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
I want a second gun so I won't have to share mine.

I love having two ATG's, because I can invite some friends over to scrap with and they can use my second gun.

Edited by CJSBABYCAKES on 02-11-10 06:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Stacy A
Resident
Stacy A
In response to CJSBABYCAKES

Ok, so after reading these posts, researching the ATG 714, discussing with husband, etc. etc. etc. We decided to purchase one. Now I'm excited and can't wait for it to get here hopefully next week (ups ground).

Too many enablers!

pipitastro
Resident
pipitastro
In response to Stacy A

You're gonna love it!! It's my fave toy now, I feel empowered holding it...like a girl power thing....

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to CorrieW

ATG all the way!! No other tape comes close to the value of the ATG tapes AND they are super tacky so nothing falls off.

I even figured it all out mathematically and graphed it just to check that once you figure in refills over the life of the gun, there is no other gun on the market that is as cost effective as the ATG in the long run.

Edited by Jennifer Priest on 02-11-10 11:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CorrieW

• CorrieW Said:
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • pipitastro Said:

I would just caution that this is not like normal double sided tape which peels nicely off a roll. The adhesive is very elastic and pulls and can gum up if you don't use the gun correctly, its meant to be broken which is why I know it would be a pain without the gun. I have seen them for $38 and it is worth it. I am an accountant and I can make a dollar stretch I will do my best but this is a bit much even for me.

I know someone who messed up her wrists and carpal tunnels using the tape without the gun,,,,,

it's very hard on the wrists because you have to twist the tape or some such thing,,,,,,

not a good idea,,,,,,spend the bucks and get the gun,,,,,,the gun will pay for itself very quickly.

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to CommaHolly

Amen, Holly. It WILL pay for itself. I would NOT want to try and place the 908 Gold tape down WITHOUT the gun. As for bulk, it's actually quite light and very easy to handle. Heck, in another thread, Holly here posted a pic of her 8yo (or was it 9yo?) grandson using it!

Now, about this Xyron adhesive without the machine bit... How do you do it? I've never tried (I have the 2" one, whichever that is) and it always bugs me that there is so much waste when using it.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to KCScrapDiva

• KCScrapDiva Said:
Now, about this Xyron adhesive without the machine bit... How do you do it? I've never tried (I have the 2" one, whichever that is) and it always bugs me that there is so much waste when using it.

ok lets try this again. this is the third time I have typed this response. thank you microsoft. ughh

this is the only way i will use the xyron anymore. they are great and i love them and i wish they were cheaper, but they aren't so i have just had to come up with a way to make it affordable to me. it really isn't hard although some people just don't think it is worth the extra work, but anytime i can save money i am all for it.

for the X (1.5") it is easy. just pop the refill out of the x and use normal. you can easily see where the letters or diecuts are supposed to go. you just don't have the edge of the x to cut it on so you have to cut it. but by cutting it yourself you can cut it right up the letter and save a ton of adhesive. when u use the machine there is always a 1/2 inch to an inch of unusable adhesive because the machine adheres the cellophane to it while it is being ran through the machine so that you can safely remove your image. if you have used a xyron you know what i mean i hope.

in the other models it is different because the machine is what joins the adhesive and cellophane not the refill as in the x. but i actually like this better. here is what i do. (maybe i need to make a you tube video...LOL)

i simply unroll some of the adhesive paper. i dont cut until i have my diecut on the paper. same as in the machine...place the side u want adhesive on, down onto the sticky paper. The paper will not stay unrolled. i simply put my ruler at the top of the sticky sheet. keeps my hands free and weights it down evenly across the top so that i can place as many letters, diecuts, etc as possible on the sticky paper. it is great because if you only need an inch, only cut an inch off. i have never unrolled more than 15inches at a time. so i can't tell you how that would work. obviously u would need a big enough table to unroll that much sticky paper. 12 to 15 inches work really well for me. i will buy die cut letters and then make my own stickers before i store them, especially my boy scout alphas and numbers because they are tiny. anyways...after you have all your items placed on the sticky paper simply unroll the cellophane and place it on top of the sticky paper. if you have a long strip on sticky paper, i just line up the cellophane with the sticky paper, weight it down at the top and unroll to cover the sticky paper. if your image goes edge to edge you don't even need the cellophane. many times if what i am adhering is square and solid, i just rub the top of it to make sure the adhesive is stuck and peel it right off. i don't even mess with putting cellophane on top. need to use the cellophane for alphas though.. remember all the cellophane does is take up any adhesive that is not covered by your diecut or letters. it takes a time or two feel comfy doing it without the machine but for me...it saves money and space. i have the x, the 2.5" and the 5" machines. machines literally have dust on them. i have the 900 refill...never even bought the machine. the machine costs like $100 but i got the refill and did the same thing for $20. because the sticky stuff in rolled the way it is, i just toss it in my xyron basket, the machines sit on a shelf. i have had "opened" refills for more than a year and they never dried up for NOT being in the machine.

its not for everyone. if it doesn't make sense i guess i could make a video if you want. give it a shot. you can always stick the refill back in the machine if you don't like it.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

caution, it is sticky..LOL...you will get a bit of sticky stuff on your fingers and it just comes off. the joys of crafting. LOL..

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
  • CorrieW Said:
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • pipitastro Said:

I know someone who messed up her wrists and carpal tunnels using the tape without the gun,,,,,

it's very hard on the wrists because you have to twist the tape or some such thing,,,,,,

not a good idea,,,,,,spend the bucks and get the gun,,,,,,the gun will pay for itself very quickly.

so i got a refill today. funny thing my neighbor had some because he thought it would work on the cellophane you put on your windows...and it didn't. so i asked him if i could borrow the tape. just the refill NO gun. i didn't scrap anything with it, but i just tried it on some regular paper. and it is no different than the photo splits i use. it is a bit more tacky, but i laid it down on the paper and then cut a bit off with my teflon coated scissors and it worked great. i cant afford the gun and until i am debt free i wont be making that big of a purchase, but for now, it seems like using the refills is just fine for me. i did not twist anything. i just used scissors. i just cut a little square of the adhesive and voila. i am hoping it works as well with the scrapbook pages as it did just playing around with it. and the great thing is...if not..no biggie...buy the gun when i can. but if it does...i just saved $40-$60 bucks.

Edited by abbynormaloh75 on 02-12-10 08:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics