Username Post: What do you wish you DIDN'T buy        (Topic#1500369)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I have just finished reading a post from last year, 6 pages long, on this very subject. I was going to revive it, but I thought others may not want to read all 6 pages. So, I decided to create a new, fresh thread for more recent items that people wish they hadn't bought!

Most everyone on that thread agreed that they don't like stickers, at least the older style that are flat with the white border around them. They also agreed to the tons of eyelets and brads they bought, but me personally, I like brads and eyelets and use them quite often. Then there were the deco scissors, but I don't feel so bad about mine because I bought them 10 years ago, so it's no recent waste of money, and when I bought them, they were the "in" thing and I used them a lot (regrettably, lol)

I wish I had never bought the Making Memories Tag Maker, you can't see inside the machine, so the paper falls out of the metal rim, then you squeeze and half the rim is crushed, the other half nothing...just a waste.

I also bought a circle/border edge punch. I bought it a couple of months ago and I haven't used it, and I don't see myself using it. It was only $6 though, so not too bad a waste.

Then there are the 2000(?) piece scrapbook kits off of the QVC or HSN shows. I maybe use 1/3 of it, the rest I have given away or hold onto waiting to use.

So, of all the new products that have come out in the last couple of years...what do you regret buying?

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-02-09 05:35 AM
In response to StarsNSparkles

That Cutter Bee Circle thing.

All those Fiskars Templates - I have never been able to cut worth a darn with those!! And I have NEVER even once used the Super Sized Circles.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen

I bought a crimper a few years ago... While I still like it on other people's layouts, I can never figure out what to do with it. I've never used it.

I have tons of vellum - 10 people couldn't use it all in their entire scrapbooking lives, lol.

While I have lots more supplies that are still sitting untouched, I don't regret buying them because I still plan on using them, someday...

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to Dancing Queen

Oh yeah, the Fiskars shape cutter thing - I never did figure it out!! Couldn't cut a thing with it.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55

The one I remember is a 12-letter stamp which had the letters on rolling rubber band, like the old school date stamps, remember those? The premise being that you could spell out different words or phrases up to 12 characters in length...there were spaces on there too, if you wanted to make two words. The problem was, the thing was big and unwieldy, you could never get a good ink transfer, and the letters were too far apart. I used it once, then gave it away...soooo disappointing!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to kdkaboom55

How about the Fiskars oval and circle cutters? Normally I love their stuff, but those get a thumbs down from me.

I also regret purchases of the big stacks of everything...chipboard, pp, etc. I never have even used 1/4 of it because it's not attractive or high-quality. I gave the rest of them to my three year old. I'd rather spend a little more and buy by the piece, knowing I'll get things I will use.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to kdkaboom55

My gram bought me a fastenator. I used it maybe twice and gave it away to a friend.

The title-topia from Creative Memories. I never use that thing and don't even know what I did with it.

The provo craft mini sewing machine. What a piece of junk. It's gone.

I got one of those scrapping backpacks as a gift. It has spots for pens/markers and bunches of little compartments, but it's in a backpack format. Nothing 12x12 fit in it, so you still had to carry another bag. I sold it at a yard sale to a teenager who loved it.

I love brads but rarely use the tons of eyelets that I have.

I don't really like kits very much, because I often only use parts of it and the rest goes to waste. The only exception to this is the recent ones that a friend sent me. She knows what I like, so most everything in the kit is something I'll use. The ones she got me came from kit clubs, though. They're not like the ones you buy at M's.

powder for wet embossing. I can't get the hang out of it. I bought tons of powders years and years ago. I am not even sure if they are still good. They've been sitting in a drawer, untouched.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to petergabrielfan

For me it is the Junkitz (sp?) tag thingie. I got it on clearance so I didn't spend alot but what a waste anyway!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to melissadam

Oh, I almost bought that. Luckily, my DH was with me and asked me what in the heck I'd do with it. He started teasing me about really wanting it to reattach tags to old clothes and return them. LOL. Since I would not do that and he knows I wouldn't, it was pretty funny. It also saved me from buying it! Sorry you got stuck!

Edited by siameseplease on 04-02-09 06:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to melissadam

Ek Success Circle Scissors. My dh is the only one who can get it to work right. Everything else I love. I love to look at the paper and supplies so it is not wasted. Also, I now live more than an hour away from ANY kind of store, so I am using more and more of my supplies and trying new stuff. Except the circle scissors. Oh and the Provo Craft Mini Sewing Machine

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to scrapnread

I'd have to go with tons and tons of eyelets. I bought them back when they were popular and I don't know that I've ever actually used them. I always forget about them.

scrapyourlifeart
Resident
scrapyourlifeart
In response to Pawz94

Oh definitely the Fiskars shape cutters and stacks of paper...donated them!

Resident
In response to scrapyourlifeart

Well I love that I brought all those eyelets and brads in every color they are their when I need it kinda thing I hate that I brought the MM tag curler that thing is still in the box i tried it onced and its aways crooked and the tags aren't pretty what was I thinking. Anyway I'll live. The Junk-it thing was junk and the wire making tool nothing turned out nice.No more kits for me either I have a storage section for kits.
Lets I hope I love the tiny stapler I just purchased or I'll be adding to the list.

Cindy

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 04-02-09 06:58 AM
In response to craftycindy

I used to think my eyelets were a waste but then I bought the crop-a-dile big bite and I love using them now!!

I don't use my fastenator a lot but once in a while it comes in handy. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. For me, I've gone through a ton of organizing schemes before landing on a set of drawers that I love now. It just takes forever to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
I used to think my eyelets were a waste but then I bought the crop-a-dile big bite and I love using them now!!
I don't use my fastenator a lot but once in a while it comes in handy. I just don't use it as much as I thought I would. For me, I've gone through a ton of organizing schemes before landing on a set of drawers that I love now. It just takes forever to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Yea! I thought about getting one of those. I think part of the reason I never used them is because you used to have to hammer them.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to Pawz94

I bought some yarn on sale at big lots. It's not the money - it's the space and waste. I haven't used it yet and even when I do, there'll be so much left over. Now that I say this, I think I'll just cut a piece off and give the rest to my dsil who crochets.

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Pawz94

Over the years I have acquired quite a few things that I don't use.

I will have to agree with you on the big kits from QVC--they are so appealing because you get so many pieces for your money, but after buying a couple and not using much out of them I now steer clear of them.

The Fastenator--it was so cute and pink, but I prefer my long reach stapler--never get it out.

MM instant eyelet setter--this is better to use than the old hammer which is what I was replacing, but it is still noisy and I never bother with eyelets anymore.

Foam stamps--stocked up on these a couple of years ago, but am too lazy to get out the paint mess usually. I have used some of them, just not enough to justify the purchases.

Bigger xyron --I bought one a few years ago because I thought it was so cool, and never ever use it. I do use my little X though.

MM magnetic stamp set--I do use this occasionally because the letters are tiny and can fit in small spaces, but I think it is kind of a pain in the neck to use.

Little scrapbook sewing machine--kind of junky--hard to use!

These days I try to be pickier about the tools that I buy, but sometimes they are just irresistable!

Pawz94
Pawz94 
Veteran
Pawz94
In response to luv2scrap:)

Oh yeah, I didn't buy this (my mom gave it to me for Christmas) but I have like the very first huge xyron . I think it's a 1200. I'm really not sure because it's so big I put it away and never got it out again.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to luv2scrap:)

I also regret buying the MM tag maker thing. tried to use it once or twice, but it was a disaster. I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of it, other than I hate to throw things away. but nobody seems to like it, so I can't *give* it away either! lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Fiskars cutters, though I have used thema few times. A bunch of my friends are raving about the new martha stewart circle cutter, so I'm thinking about it, except I dislike Martha on principle and most of her stuff doesn't impress me.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Tina scraps

• Tina scraps Said:
I also regret buying the MM tag maker thing. tried to use it once or twice, but it was a disaster. I don't know why I haven't gotten rid of it, other than I hate to throw things away. but nobody seems to like it, so I can't *give* it away either! lol.

I'm not a big fan of the Fiskars cutters, though I have used thema few times. A bunch of my friends are raving about the new martha stewart circle cutter, so I'm thinking about it, except I dislike Martha on principle and most of her stuff doesn't impress me.

I am going to try to garage sale mine for a couple of bucks, maybe some sucker will fall for it...lol!!

I have the Martha Stewart circle cutter too, and I really like it. I don't like Martha Stewart and didn't really want to support her, but the cutter is very easy to use and the price is great! I do wish she would come out with some more if possible in the same style. Just remember to tape down your paper, at least in the middle where you are cutting your circle, otherwise it will move and mess up!

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to j3Mel

I agree. Since I bought the Big Bite, I find myself using my eyelet stash alot more.

I regret buying the stacks of paper when I first started out. I went through awhile back and gave them to my 7 year old DD, who just loves them.

The fancy corner punches. I find myself only using the CM corner punch and none of the others.

I also had one of the fastenalls(sp?) and ended up selling it on eBay.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to momtokatie

Recent stuff that I've purchased (i.e in the last year) have been:

Paper stacks (I never use them)
Circle border punch (asked for it for Christmas and haven't used it, I guess I could return it)
Felt lace stuff (again, another wish for xmas)
Big packs of paper alphas

I guess that's it. And i wish my dh would stop picking stuff up at the dollar store - I don't use it and it's a waste of money - even though it's only $1.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
Ek Success Circle Scissors. My dh is the only one who can get it to work right. Everything else I love. I love to look at the paper and supplies so it is not wasted. Also, I now live more than an hour away from ANY kind of store, so I am using more and more of my supplies and trying new stuff. Except the circle scissors. Oh and the Provo Craft Mini Sewing Machine

I had to laugh when I saw this! All of us in my crop group were frustrated and disappointed with those. Not one of us could get them to work. One night at our (now closed) LSS, a rep from Ek Success came to do a make and take and demos. He was just raving about how easy it was to use, except that when he went to use it he broke two blades and then couldn't get the circle to cut without a jagged edge. He tried to cover it up by saying he didn't use it much, but I think the truth is that it's a product that is just a piece of junk!

mrbabcock
Veteran
mrbabcock
In response to petergabrielfan

well, this might draw some questions, but my cricut....I was frustrated by how limited I was with the cartridges, etc. I went out and bough a Wishblade , and I'm so much more happy with it.

Wish I would have thought more about it's limitations and just spent the money initially on the Wishblade or even the Pazzles or Bosscut Gazelle.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to peenut_23

I regret the Fiskars shape cutter thing, some dollar store ink pads (although some other $store ink pads seem to work fine), and my biggest regret is my paper trimmer.

I got the Fiskars Desktop rotary trimmer. It seems to work ok now that I've figured out some of it's quirks. One of the side guides that you hold the paper against is slightly off, so if you butt your paper against the side (like you're supposed to do), your cut will not be straight. Also, I find the plastic guide that you run the blade along sometimes goes wavy depending on teh angle at which you are standing. It was $69.00 at M's, so thank goodness I used a 50% coupon! I really wished I had shopped around a bit and chosen the MM one instead because it has a metal guide and is probably sturdier. Live and learn I guess. I'm stuck with this one for a few years anyhow.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to mercytiara

• mercytiara Said:
I regret the Fiskars shape cutter thing, some dollar store ink pads (although some other $store ink pads seem to work fine), and my biggest regret is my paper trimmer.

I got the Fiskars Desktop rotary trimmer. It seems to work ok now that I've figured out some of it's quirks. One of the side guides that you hold the paper against is slightly off, so if you butt your paper against the side (like you're supposed to do), your cut will not be straight. Also, I find the plastic guide that you run the blade along sometimes goes wavy depending on teh angle at which you are standing. It was $69.00 at M's, so thank goodness I used a 50% coupon! I really wished I had shopped around a bit and chosen the MM one instead because it has a metal guide and is probably sturdier. Live and learn I guess. I'm stuck with this one for a few years anyhow.

I am on my 3rd quillotine cutter! I wish I had kept my first, as it was the best! But I bought a new one for work, didn't use it, so exchanged it for the first one (gave the 1st one to my sis). The 2nd didn't cut straight, so I bought a more expensive one, and it doesn't cut straight!!! How many cutters must a girl buy???!!!

craftysprinkles
Queen
craftysprinkles

I first started scrapping about 15 years ago and I had bought so many things that sat in drawyers for years and years and I am just now using them. So I can pretty much find a use for all my

craftysprinkles
Queen
craftysprinkles
In response to craftysprinkles

My daughter pushed the button on me. Anyway I can use almost all my things except for my circle cutter by Cuttle Bee I think. I can cut with it but I never need to.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to craftysprinkles

Oh Great thread, I don't have any recent regrets (since I learned about acid free last yr and started going to sj.com) But before that. I bought so much ugly and old pp! also those old school stickers with the white borders or really kiddy look. the worst part is it was out of style when I started but I had no idea and just bought whatever I could to scrap with!! Oh the waisted money.. luckily most of it was dirt cheap since it was so out of date! Oh to have known that at the time!!

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 04-02-09 09:56 AM
In response to ShaylaCreations

Stickers!!!!!Lots of stickers!!!! I dont use them!!!!! and the EK circle cutter!!!It is a horrible horrible product!!!

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to naf

Trimmers, trimmers, and more trimmers. The guillotine ones never cut right. I think I went through about 4 before I found the Cutterpede which works for me, and has interchangeable blade (which I love). The MM tag maker I never use, the Fiskars circle and oval cutter combo that never seemed to work right, and that flower punch that only worked once and is now permanently stuck in a piece of cardstock.

keilla
keilla 
Veteran
keilla
In response to traceyjean

Yep, I regret buying the Fiskars Shapecutter too. Is there anyone that likes that thing? It would cut paper, but not cardstock for me, so that's pretty useless. I still use the templates when I have the patience to cut it myself - but the cutter had to go up for "Buy it now" immediately and TG it sold.
Other things I regret are some embellishments I bought at J's - large packs of stuff that I may use one or two of...but not 100.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 04-02-09 11:59 AM
In response to keilla

I actually like and use my cutterbee. It took awhile to learn it's quirks, but for the most part now it works well for me. Of course it isn't perfect.

Lets see regrets. I love ribbon, but I can never seem to use it. I have an ungodly amount of ribbon and I only seem to use it on very rare occasions.

I have a lot of wasted embellies that I don't use.

I my fancy corner punch is never used anymore. I usually get the first 3 corners nice and then somehow the 4th always gets screwed up.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to keilla

Hmmm... I actually like my MM tag maker (even though I didn't think I would). My hubby got it as a Xmas gift and I'm kind of glad he did. I've been also using it to make customized gift tags which I attach to every gift I give.

What I wish I didn't purchase is so many older pp. I bought a bunch because they were on sale (6 for $1) at M's or J's. Also, hubby bought me this sheet metal kit where you punch out letter with these dies... ahhh... I don't even know how to use it in a layout. Finally, I got way too many stickers.

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Mama2Thomas

Wow, after reading through here I see so many things that I still use on a regular basis...the EK circle cutter, the fastenator, and the MM tag Maker (which is one of my fav. products ever).

I have bought some not-so-good products like the EK Blade Runner for all those plastic letter templates, the mini provocraft sewing machine, and the MM metal punch set. I got it one year for x-mas ($30) and I think I 'may' have used it once. But mostly for me, it is the quantity of stuff that I bought...I must have over 2,000 brads in every color of the rainbow and I only really ever use the metallic, black, and white ones...geez! And the sheer amount of patterned paper and stickers I have in my possession....I could scrap forever with what I currently have and yet I still feel the need to go out and shop! Grrr...

nanatosweetgirls
Veteran
nanatosweetgirls
In response to godschild94

It's just so nice to know I am not alone!!!! LOL I have so much in my scraproom - I buy, buy, buy, but don't use, use, use. Recent regrets: mmmmm - patterned paper that comes in plastic from Tuesday Mornings - so many sheets -I won't live long enough to use them all. My 2 most used are my CM corner rounder and my P-touch labeling system by brother. Use both in almost all lo.

New Kid On the Block

! hardly ever use letter stickers anymore now that I have a Cricut. I took them all to my class and let the kids have a ball.

KandyRane
Expert
KandyRane

I think that everything sticker embelishment wise that i bought but did not use before I bought my cricut is sitting in a box unsued, except by my 2 year old as craft time with mommy stuff. I love paper piecing!

I love PP but now buy it by the sheet, 90% of the other stuff has beoome scissor practice paper for the 2 year old.

A set of alphabet rubber stamps, cant see through them, cant get them in a straight line.

candy.queen
Expert
candy.queen
In response to KandyRane

I regret buying my first scrapbook, its ringbound and once my LO was stuck down I couldn't move it. It ended up squashing all my LO's too.

Also hate all the stickers I have!!

Shelly5787
Guru
Shelly5787
In response to candy.queen

My Wishblade ... I have the blue one & It was like $150 or $200 used... and shortly after I bought it I went on a year long scrapbook break....

LPinto
LPinto 
Expert
LPinto
In response to candy.queen

For those of you who don't want/use/like stickers that you have: don't throw them out yet. Some of them can be dressed up with stickles, gems and markers. You'd be surprised at the new look it gets.

Regrets: Definitely the Fiskars shape cutters. I also bought the trimmer/cutter that has the backlight to it (as seen on TV and in some catalogs). Unfortunately, it doesn't cut straight which is too bad because the backlight is a really nice feature because it shines right through your photo and allows you to see exactly where you are cutting. I've also gotten rid of a lot of teeny tiny brads which were too small for my fingers to handle.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Crop-a-dile big bite or no, I can't STAND eyelets,,,

oh, about 75% of the time, i can set them at least REASONABLY well with the crop-a-dile,,,,but for the freaking life of me it's not a guarantee,,,,

there's ALWAYS the possibility that I'll destroy the page,,,,,argh, hate the things,,,love brads, but hate the eyelets,,,,,

Holly

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson

The Around-the-Block tagger. Have used it once or twice.

LilBuckaroo
Resident
LilBuckaroo

my first Cricut love the expression though

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to LilBuckaroo

After reading this I am so glad I never bought any of those circle cutters & Fiskars templates!

I happen to love my fastenator and my eyelets and my paper stacks (I will use them someday! )

Mostly I feel bad about all the silly cheap embellishments and stickers that I bought just because they were cheap. I still use all my alphabet stickers but some of the old stickers are just awful.

Overall I am very happy with my stash. If I don't use it, at least I get to look at it right?

tufano79
Idol
tufano79
In response to naf

I have a ton of rub-ons that I don't really ever use...especially the letter rub-ons. They are so tedious to work with...I'll use 'em, but it'll take me FOREVAH to make a dent.

Hugs, Josie

Kel3
Kel3 
Mayor
Kel3
  • Kel3 on 04-03-09 03:09 PM

I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't like my fiskers circle cutter.
I bought A stack of letter tags that I hardly use.

SassyScrapper84
Tenant
SassyScrapper84
In response to Kel3

I regret buying all of the weird storage things that just don't work.

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to SassyScrapper84

The Around the Block Phrase Maker tool...it is by far the worst tool out there. It's supposed to make these great price tag looking stickers with your own choice of words. You have to load the ink yourself = a mess, then you have to use a key to align the letters to spell out your word = a nightmare because A does not print an A it is more like an M...grrr. Then if you finally get it to print legibly its usually not lined up right. All in all a very great idea with a very poor design.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

half the stuff I have.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics