Username Post: Hey Slice Owners        (Topic#1501559)
KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 03:05 AM

Tell how much you love or don't love your Slice. And do you have other electronic machines too.

I have a Silhouette and am seriously think about buying a Slice.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to KimKV

I bought my Slice in January with a 50% off coupon. It's my first machine and I'm in love with this little guy. I don't know if I'll ever want or need another, since this is all I know, and honestly, all I have room for anyway in my little scrap corner. I keep finding new and wonderful uses for my Slice besides scrapping! I'm throwing a surprise party with a butterfly theme, so I'm using it to make butterfly place cards and tiny butterfly confetti, all things butterfly! I had read somewhere that somebody found she was changing the blade pretty often - I've been cranking away and I'm still on the blade it came with, so I'm not sure what that's about. Also, in the beginning, I was religious about cleaning the mat after every use. Then I read someone was covering the mat with wax paper and reusing the mat glue until it didn't stick anymore, so that saves me a ton on the glue! The wax paper trick works great. Hm, what else? Ok, that's it!

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to RockStar

I just bought mine a few weeks ago and I love it. I love the cards...the fonts and symbols are very nice not to mention cheap (especially on ebay). I own the expression (MY FAV) but I bought the slice because I can't always use my expression when my daughter is sleeping so with the slice I just pick it up and carry it downstairs while she's napping and I can use it. So the portability of it is why I purchased it! And I don't feel like I am wasting money buying cards and cartridges because they all have different things on them so it just gives me more variety! I would say go for it...I love mine!!! I already have 5 card for it...EBAY!!!! Cheap!

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to tricia07

I love mine!! It cuts well.. still on the original blade and I have had it a few months. There are lots of uses for it!! I love the variety on all the disks. I have 4. I don't own anything else other than an old Sizzix die cutter. This was perfect, as I can't afford the $400 expression. Just wondering, Flighobl, how did you get yours for half off??? I got mine 10% thu here. None of the stores around me will let you use Coupons on the Slice machine. Archivers will let me use 30% off on everything else but the machine itself. I will have to try that wax paper idea!!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 04:19 AM
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
I bought my Slice in January with a 50% off coupon. It's my first machine and I'm in love with this little guy. I don't know if I'll ever want or need another, since this is all I know, and honestly, all I have room for anyway in my little scrap corner. I keep finding new and wonderful uses for my Slice besides scrapping! I'm throwing a surprise party with a butterfly theme, so I'm using it to make butterfly place cards and tiny butterfly confetti, all things butterfly! I had read somewhere that somebody found she was changing the blade pretty often - I've been cranking away and I'm still on the blade it came with, so I'm not sure what that's about. Also, in the beginning, I was religious about cleaning the mat after every use. Then I read someone was covering the mat with wax paper and reusing the mat glue until it didn't stick anymore, so that saves me a ton on the glue! The wax paper trick works great. Hm, what else? Ok, that's it!

A coupon? Who let you use a coupon?? Mike's and AC moore both say no.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to KimKV

Mike's and ACM say no NOW, but when the Slice first came out, ACM and J's both let you use a coupon. I got mine for 50% off that way. I got all of my cards, the 12x12 cutting mat, and the spatula for 40%-50% off that way, too. I dragged my poor DH to the ACM to use a coupon until I had all of the first set of cards that ACM carried. They didn't put the exclusion on their Coupons until they'd had the Slice for a month or so (at least, that's how it happened in my area).

I saw that M's occasionally has a sale on the Slice stuff, but not very often.

I really like mine. I have a space issue, as well, and I like the portability of it. I can take it to crops easily. I won a little craft storage basket at a crop and it works perfectly for all of my cards, the 4x4 cutting mat, the books that go with the cards, extra glue, and the spatula. I would suggest purchasing the 12x12 mat if you can, because it makes things a bit easier when you are cutting multiple shapes. You can just move your machine over, rather than having to unstick the paper, move it on the small mat, and start cutting again. Did that make sense?

I think there's great variety with the cards, too. I can't wait for the phrases card and the font card to come out. I use my Slice mainly for fonts. I haven't played with too many shapes yet, although I've used a few. I think the machine is incredibly easy to use.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 04:49 AM
In response to siameseplease

Stupid no let you use a coupon!! (I raspberry them!!) lol

Edited by Kimberkv on 04-16-09 04:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to KimKV

That's exactly right Gina! I got my Slice and all the accessories, except for the big bag that no one seems to carry, right when it first came out in January, so I used 50% off Coupons for everything!! I don't go to crops so I don't know why I covet that big bag anyway...

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to RockStar

I don't have one, but have 2 friends who do.....1 had to sent it back to Making Memories for repair.....it's been 3 weeks and she still hasn't heard anything.....the other one just bought an Expression and will probably sell her slice.

Needless to say, I won't be buying a slice, but am glad others like theirs so well....

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 06:02 AM
In response to RockStar

I want to start going to crops, I need to get a life outside of sb.com !! I mean I love all my friends here, but other than here, I don't socialize much. I REALLY neeeeeedddd to!!!! So I thought the Slice would be perfect, that way I can't use not have my Silhouette as an excuse!!!

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to KimKV

I have a Pazzles Inspiration and use the Slice when I just want a few quickie embellishments. I really like the variety on the design cards. (I have the first 4.) I like the portability of it most of all. It really upset me when everyone stopped accepting Coupons on the Slice a few months after it was released since I was so looking forward to getting some new design cards. I can't wait to try the new embossing tip; and I'm definitely going to try the wax paper trick.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to KimKV

I tried it at A's and i was not happy with it. I'm glad I passed on it. Try and try it out at a store before buying and see if its a fit for you. I have to two Cricuts and I'm very happy with them.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Cricutgirlg

I've had my Slice since Christmas and love it! I found that after it sits for a few days without being used (yes I'm too busy to scrap daily ) and needs to be charged the blade has to be honed. But that's not a big deal. Also, I don't reglue every time I use the mat. I just keep using it until it's not sticky anymore. Then I wash it well and reapply the glue. Saves lots! I only have two cards for it and want more but I love the ones I have.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to sweet1

I do the same as Sweet; I keep using it until it's not sticky anymore. I don't wash after each use. My blade has not needed to be honed after it sits for a few days, though.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 10:04 AM
In response to siameseplease

Welllllll...drum roll..... I bought one!!! now to just have time to play with it!! I have to leave again in about thirty minutes to get my car inspected. I hope to be able to play a little before dinner.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to KimKV

Do you know that if you but it from here with the coupon it's only like $109.00. I'm thinking about it.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 12:47 PM
In response to jenyjen3

I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! This is the coolest little thing - did I mention I LOVE IT!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Do you see all the cards coming soon!??

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to KimKV

I KNOW Kim!
About the homing thing, I've gotten into the habit of just homing it automatically as soon as I turn it on.
I just came from lss but they didn't have the new mc's AND they still don't carry Stickles!! grrrr!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-16-09 04:01 PM
In response to RockStar

WHAT!? A LSS with no stickles!! Is that even legal?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to KimKV

I know, I know - they're lame!

tricia07
Guru
tricia07
In response to RockStar

Congrats on your slice! Glad you like it!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to tricia07

i got the slice for christmas. i use it more than my sizzix and my sidekick. i love it. i have 4 cards and hope to get more. i have to try that wax paper idea. because i alway clean mine after i am done with it

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to southern lady

OK...I was telling DH about the slice and the great deal I can get it for...and he told me to just buy it. I have a cuttlebug and I love that...but will I use the slice as much?

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to jenyjen3

your will use it . i love mine

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to southern lady

Kim, you will have to show us what things you make with your slice! Its so much fun!

New Kid On the Block
In response to RockStar

I bought my Slice machine from QVC and love it a lot. I like the fact that it is easy to use,lite to carry around, is dependable, and now is offering more cards for the machine. I was a bit weary since I couldn't find other cards for it. The crazy AC Moore store here in Bergen County, N.J. has the display with the five or six beginner cards but don't have any of them to purchase. So why put up a display with no way to buy them? The explanation I got, at three different visits was that the company hadn't sent the store any of its project cards. What a crock. Also the display was dusty and dirty, espec, the white storage case that you could store the machine on your desk. You would think these stores would want to entice there customers with Coupons and have the merchandise on hand rather than make us wait. I am not at all pleased with this store. The manager says that it's not there fault, but I say take the display down or offer a coupon to those of us who have been waiting over three months for the product. Lastly, my only problem with the machine is that it is noisy. I am a night person and I don't like making a lot of noise with this machine which I love to use. I also own the xyron cutting system and I love that one as well. I thank who ever offered the idea about the wax paper and saving glue. As for AC Moore they said they had a problem with the machine during their display day and I showed them how to adjust the cutter. Sometimes the needle needs to be tightened or loosened, it's just an adjustment. It's funny but my xyron has the same small problem you just need to tighten or loosen the cutter. It basically is easy and fun but patience is necessary. Thanks for listening! Mary Jenkins.http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/skins/Scrapboo k2/icons/thumbup.gif

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mommio01

I am seriously thinking of getting one of these little babies to compliment my Cricut,,,

I mean really,,,,,is there some law you can only have ONE???? Is ther esuch a thing as TOO MANY die cut machines?????????

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to CommaHolly

Hey, Kim what do you think? Do I need one of these too.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to creater1

I just put my Slice to the test. I've had it since January and I finally had to change the blade for the very first time tonight after cranking out about 50 4 inch butterflies plus innumerable 1 1/2 inch ones. And with the wax paper trick, I glued the board ONCE and it lasted all night!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

BTW I think it's a great little 'starter' machine if you don't want to spend alot, or if you don't have room for those fax machine size ones. I don't have anything else, but if I did have a cricut or something else on that level, I honestly don't know if I'd need a Slice, except for it's portability.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• CommaHolly Said:
I am seriously thinking of getting one of these little babies to compliment my Cricut,,,

I mean really,,,,,is there some law you can only have ONE???? Is ther esuch a thing as TOO MANY die cut machines?????????

If there's such a thing, I am in REALLY big trouble.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I LOVE my Slice! I have nothing to compare it to, mind you, but I am very happy with the purchase.

What I love:
1/ it's so fast to use, especally if you do store your cutting mat in waxed paper- virtually no prep work other than popping in the card and navigating to the design you want

2/ It's far cheaper and smaller than other electronic die cutting machines (although admittedly less versatile than most larger ones)

3/ The cards contain lots of designs and at least one font (this was the big selling point for me)

Some tips based on my experience:
1/I have never used the glue it came with. After reading the boards here I decided to go the repositionable spray adhesive route (I use Krylon) and am glad I did. I suspect the glue it comes with is messy and I've read that people have trouble getting it coated thinly enough or thickly enough, or something. Spray adhesive is far cheaper, less messy, and works really well.

2/Definately store the cutting mat in waxed paper. Because I do this, I've only had to re-spray mine 2 times so far, and I use it a fair bit. I find this also makes it really convenient to use the machine because it's always ready to go in case a Slice emergency!

3/ Look at the storage unit I found that fits the slice and its power cord and accessories perfectly (along with a few other things)! It's been on sale for 40-50% off at M's for the past few months. I forget the exact brand, but it has "scissors" in the name.

Slice and Adhesives Storage By Mercytiara

4/ The spatual is worth the 10 bucks- I just got mine and it is way easier than using your fingernails and doesn't damage the die cuts.

The only thing I would change about the slice, is I would like if it would/could cut more squared edges on letters. I got the Just chillin card this week, and found that the letters come out with slightly rounded edges on the serrifs. It's pretty minor, but thought I'd mention it.

I also wanted to mention that I have been happily scrapping away with my Slice with only one additional card (the Basic Shapes 2) for what seems like a long time (although it has only been about 2 months I suppose). I did recently get the Just Chillin card, but I think I could have been happy with the 2 cards I had for quite some time (although I would not have been happy with just the card it came with as I don't like those fonts). I guess what I'm trying to say is that with little expense you can really have a lot of fun with the Slice. You don't even have to have the complete collection of cards. Well, unless you WANT to get them all!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mercytiara

I'm trying to figure out exactly why everyone says the Slice is all that much cheaper than the Cricut though,,,

it's on sale here for 120.00,,,,,you can get a Cricut for that,,,

the cards are about 30.00,,,,,you can get the carts for the cricut for 30.00 on EBAY and 40.00 on sale regularly,,,

OK, I got it that it's got alot of really great functions, like portability and lots of great flourishes (it's got ProvoCraft beat hands down for flourishes, no doubt),,,,

but I don't really think it's ALL THAT much cheaper,,,,,,,

jMO,,,,

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

wow, I've never seen a cricut for that cheap! Although, I've never really looked at them very closely, just assumed they were too expensive. Back when I was considering buying a Pazzles or Wishblade , I checked out the cricuts, and at that time they (or the model I was looking at) was over $200, and at the time I wanted something to connect to my computer and use with my own fonts and designs, so I didn't really pay much attention to them since then.

If you can get a cricut for just a bit more, I would say the Slice loses some/most of its appeal. Except the portability and size which is an issue for some.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

The baby bug was on sale for 99.00 recently,,,,and I've seen it on EBAY for as little as 75.00 brand new,,,

I got my Create (mid priced model) on EBAY for 155.00,,,,

Mind you there are still some EXCELLENT reasons to go with the Slice,,,,,,LOVE their flourishes!!!!!!!! but I've been wondering about the price difference,,,,,,it's not as great I don't think as everyone thinks,,,,

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• CommaHolly Said:
I'm trying to figure out exactly why everyone says the Slice is all that much cheaper than the Cricut though,,,

the cards are about 30.00,,,,,you can get the carts for the cricut for 30.00 on EBAY and 40.00 on sale regularly,,,

OK, I got it that it's got alot of really great functions, like portability and lots of great flourishes (it's got ProvoCraft beat hands down for flourishes, no doubt),,,,

jMO,,,,

To be honest, it wasn't about price for me. I just like toys.

One thing I've noticed, tho, is that most of the Slice cards have MORE than one alphabet on them. I don't have a Cricut, but I don't think they do?

So if you're looking for fonts, something to consider.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

jMO,,,,

To be honest, it wasn't about price for me. I just like toys.

One thing I've noticed, tho, is that most of the Slice cards have MORE than one alphabet on them. I don't have a Cricut, but I don't think they do?

So if you're looking for fonts, something to consider.

One alphabet,,,,but you can make it tall or shadow or whatever,,,there's usually different things you can do with it, depending on the cart,,,

my storybook you can make tall or stack or shadow or shadow stack or fancy,,,,,they all look different!!! So it's almost like having different fonts,,,,,though somewhat similar,,,

mind you, lol,,,,I'm still thinking I am going to get the Slice too!!!! Like you say,,,,,

TOYS!!!!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

I have...

The Slice
Wishblade
Gazelle
Pazzles Inspiration

I think if I hit #5, they'd commit me....

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

um, but what a way to go, Megan

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

Everyone has to have a vice - this is mine!

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

• CommaHolly Said:

jMO,,,,

Well.. Holly... you CAN get the Slice and the cards for lower prices ... considering you're comparing their price to ebay Cricut cartridge prices.

The Cricut is more cost-effective (can cut larger shapes)... but I love the MM designs so much that I bought the Slice and not the Cricut. (The other die cutter I have is the discontinued xyron PCS - that was a poor choice due to not enough research done since I was a new scrapper then).

I agree with you though... the flourishes are really cute (I have them!) and I really love the fonts on the cards. I thought I would only use the fonts... but turned out I use the tags, the flowers, the stars... and everything else!

I have the MM journal stamp set, which I think goes with the tags too...

So far I really like my Slice. I layered some of the designs to make embellies.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to jellyziva

...made another 50 butterfly place cards last night with My Slice, plus butterfly confetti from the scraps with a single coating of the adhesive. Oh, and ps, I don't have the 12 X 12 cutting board, this is using the little board that came with the Slice so I'm always moving the paper!
They were so nice - when I bought the Slice the board was missing one of it's legs. I called, expecting to receive a tiny package with a tiny replacement leg but they sent me a second cutting board! So it's like I have a 6X12 board if I put them side by side.
Now all I have to do is bling them up and assemble the little guys so they stand up!
I love love love my Slice!!

Edited by flightobl on 04-25-09 04:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jellyziva

• Quote:

Well.. Holly... you CAN get the Slice and the cards for lower prices ... considering you're comparing their price to ebay Cricut cartridge prices.

I havent' seen the slice cards much better priced on EBAY either,,,,,and I've been watching,,,best I've really seen REGULARLY is 24.95 plus shipping and handling,,,,which is why I said you could get them for about 30.00,,,,,

sure, some of them slip through for less, but so do cricut carts,,I got one for 15.00 on EBAY, but REGULARLY you can get them for 30.00-40.00,,,,

So I don't think it's astronomically cheaper to buy a slice,,,,,but I do think it's got some wonderful features that make it an awesome choice, regardless of the price!!!! And I think it's very complimentary to the Cricut!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

You are going butterfly crazy, Raquel!!!!!!

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
I have...

The Slice
Wishblade
Gazelle
Pazzles Inspiration

I think if I hit #5, they'd commit me....

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Dancing Queen

I got my Slice when it first came out while they still allowed use of the 50% off coupon - YAY! So I got it REAL cheap. I get everything else as I need them using - you got it, 50% off Coupons ! No shipping costs and my local lss' carry all the Slice stuff - except for that cute carry all bag. Not that I'd use it, I don't go to crops after all, so why do I covet it? I'm looking at that storage thing though that was posted here earlier.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to RockStar

MercyTiara's storage thing? he told me where she got it, but I forget,,,,,,,you could PM her,,,

I thinkkkkkkk she got it at M's,,,,,not positive though,,,,,,,ask her!

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

If this was the storage unit you were talking about:

then yes, it was from Michaels. It is not the highest quality (made of covered cardboard) but it's fine for just sitting on your desk, IMO. The brand is Scrap Paper Scissors. I like it as the Slice fits perfectly along with the X which I use along with it most of the time. Hope this helps,
-Tracy

Edited by mercytiara on 04-25-09 10:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jenniferjfletcher
Governor
jenniferjfletcher
In response to RockStar

Yeah-I have the slice-it's wonderful for butterflies,flowers and swirls! I also have the Cricut, Cuttlebug and from years ago Sizzix!
Cricut is the fastest-espeicially for whole words but it's easy to take the Slice where you want. Hoping I don't feel the need??!!
for another machine!! Jennifer

tricia07
Guru
tricia07

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Quote:

I havent' seen the slice cards much better priced on EBAY either,,,,,and I've been watching,,,best I've really seen REGULARLY is 24.95 plus shipping and handling,,,,which is why I said you could get them for about 30.00,,,,,

sure, some of them slip through for less, but so do cricut carts,,I got one for 15.00 on EBAY, but REGULARLY you can get them for 30.00-40.00,,,,

So I don't think it's astronomically cheaper to buy a slice,,,,,but I do think it's got some wonderful features that make it an awesome choice, regardless of the price!!!! And I think it's very complimentary to the Cricut!

I got my cards for CHEAP on ebay...one of them I think I paid $16.00...none over $24 that's for sure! Have 5 of them now. Plus I got my slice on ebay for $93.00! The slice was the kit plus they gave me the tool kit for free! That's a great deal!

I have the expression as well and have found some bargains on their cartridges...I just got Pooh Font for $15 plus $5 shipping...I got zooballoo for $24 and free shipping. Not bad I don't think. I try to never pay full price for anything!!!

Slice isn't much difference in price than the baby bug...I got the slice for the portability of it...I love my expression though!!! I just like toys in general

Edited by tricia07 on 04-25-09 05:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tricia07

wow, those are some good prices,,,,I've been watching them for some time now, trying to decide if I should buy a slice,,,,I've already got a Create that I bought on EBAY for 155.00,,,,,and looking back, if I had to choose just one, the Slice just doesn't seem THAT much cheaper,,,,

If I bought the slice it would be for all the great cards and flourishes and for it's portability,,,,,,which is nothing to sneeze at!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

Thanks for the info on the storage thingy! M's is having sales next couple of days too but I always have my 50% off Coupons anyway - I think tomorrow my M's is having one of their midnight madness sales so I'll check if they have it. I just like organization alot because my scrap corner is in my dining room.

tricia07
Guru
tricia07

• mercytiara Said:
If this was the storage unit you were talking about:

then yes, it was from Michaels. It is not the highest quality (made of covered cardboard) but it's fine for just sitting on your desk, IMO. The brand is Scrap Paper Scissors. I like it as the Slice fits perfectly along with the X which I use along with it most of the time. Hope this helps,
-Tracy

That's a pretty cool storage unit...but I have to say I LOVE the MM storage unit made for the slice...it's awesome plus it matches everything else in my room...I coordinate a tad too much sometimes! LOL

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to tricia07

Tricia,
I LOVE the MM storage unit that was designed for the Slice! Hands down, I would prefer that unit, but I live in Canada and I couldn't find the MM one locally, and couldn't afford to pay full price for it (after shipping, duty, and exchange, buying online is never cheaper for me). The one I got was only $18 and since I too scrap in my dining room I needed something that hides everything. But I dream of the day when I can have my cute little Slice out on display in the white MM storage unit! My scrap room won't be ready until this winter

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics