Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Thread to talk about Military Layouts/Albums :)        (Topic#1502327)
anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I changed this thread to a discussion on military layouts & albums since several of us are working on them. Some of us are lookiing for answers to military questions, so if you are/were military or a family member, feel free to join us.

Thank you in advance for your help. I switched from strap hinge to top load so I need to replace some albums.
Thank you!

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 11:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 05:45 AM
In response to anda11

Are you asking about the post bound albums with the 'metal' emblems on the front, like the USMC?

I just started on DH's USMC album, and so far, I have 20 page protectors with 40 LO's. None of the LO's are lumpy, tho. Probably the 'thickest' embellie is a paper soldier (from PDDU) on top of a foamy tape. Or a LO with several of his fabric patches. I have his medals in a display frame, so those aren't in the album.

Most of the LO's are very simple. He recieved a LOT of commendations, so I'm keeping it rather plain by most standards. Titles, journal cards, pics, and a few cutouts with my cricut.

I think I can put more page protectors in the album, without it falling apart.

Scrap Happy 2006
Mayor
Scrap Happy 2006
In response to Tivi

i have the cubscout album from that line...so far i have added 2 refill packs to the set of pages already in it...and I know I'll be adding more...so far it is holding up great...and it gets a lot of looks from the scouts and their parents....hope that helps

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 06:20 AM
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Did you use the extenders that come in the refill packs? Or did you buy longer ones, the ones that are 2 or 3 inches long?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
Are you asking about the post bound albums with the 'metal' emblems on the front, like the USMC?

I just started on DH's USMC album, and so far, I have 20 page protectors with 40 LO's. None of the LO's are lumpy, tho. Probably the 'thickest' embellie is a paper soldier (from PDDU) on top of a foamy tape. Or a LO with several of his fabric patches. I have his medals in a display frame, so those aren't in the album.

Most of the LO's are very simple. He recieved a LOT of commendations, so I'm keeping it rather plain by most standards. Titles, journal cards, pics, and a few cutouts with my cricut.

I think I can put more page protectors in the album, without it falling apart.

Thanks very much Tivi! I am talking about the MC album that is the color of the dress blues & it has Marines in gold letters & it does have the medalion on it. It is the one they sell here too.
Is that the one you have?
I am so glad to hear it holds so many pages & that you like it. Your album sounds wonderful! I am not going to put too much lumpy but I will have some patches because he does not have them all. It was a long time ago. LOL I did find a cool idea on a bb once that I did. I burned a cd that had the hymn, some marching cadences, some patriotic songs. I think one was Stars & Stripes forever. It had an old connection with the MC. (John Phillip Sousa wrote it maybe who I think directed the MC band??) I am going to put the cd in the album too. Maybe on the inside back cover in a pocket.I am going to make a page with the words to the hymn. This may not matter to newer Marines but the last page of the album, I am going to put Goodnight Chesty Puller wherever you are. Because that is what they had to say everynight at bedtime in boot camp. I was thinking of using typewriter fonts or sizzlets for journaling since most of his stuff is typewritten. Sizzix made a big die of a dog tag that I am going to use too. I have some stencils & sizzlets that look like stencils like they had used on their stuff. Thanks for your ideas. Feel free to share more! Thanks! I think dh would love that album when he sees it. I was just going to use a red one before I switched.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Scrap Happy 2006

Thank you Jennie! I appreciate your reply. I am glad to hear that you put 2 refills in it & ay put more. It is nice to know if I need to go bigger. I am also glad to hear it has been holding up well & that you like it!

Edited by anda11 on 04-24-09 07:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-24-09 06:06 PM
In response to anda11

I'm pretty sure we have the same album. There is another made by another company, but it just looks 'cheap' to me.

Where did he do boot? DH was at Camp Pendelton in 1978. They did the "Goodnight...", too.

You gave me a great idea! I think I'll put the Hymm on a page talker and put that on the first page.

I have to look thru my cricut carts and see if I have something like a dog tag. For some of the pics, I am using my Dyno label maker for the peoples' names (well, the names I remember!). I'm leaving some open space to add whatever journaling DH wants later. I will also give him a pack of posty notes and a pen to write his notes as he looks thru the album.

I did get the USMC paper pack that they sell. Actually, I've bought 2 packs. I'm using most of the them for the commendations, and I'm putting the pics on solid color - red, blue, gold.

I haven't decided how to do the Ball pics - any ideas? Not too frilly/girly, but not plain either.

Products Referenced in This Post:

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
I'm pretty sure we have the same album. There is another made by another company, but it just looks 'cheap' to me.

Where did he do boot? DH was at Camp Pendelton in 1978. They did the "Goodnight...", too.

You gave me a great idea! I think I'll put the Hymm on a page talker and put that on the first page.

I have to look thru my cricut carts and see if I have something like a dog tag. For some of the pics, I am using my Dyno label maker for the peoples' names (well, the names I remember!). I'm leaving some open space to add whatever journaling DH wants later. I will also give him a pack of posty notes and a pen to write his notes as he looks thru the album.

I did get the USMC paper pack that they sell. Actually, I've bought 2 packs. I'm using most of the them for the commendations, and I'm putting the pics on solid color - red, blue, gold.

I haven't decided how to do the Ball pics - any ideas? Not too frilly/girly, but not plain either.

Thank you very much Tivi! I haven't purchased it yet but I will purchase the same one you have. I do think it looks wonderful.

I thought about the page talkers yrs ago but they were only 30 seconds I think. Dh loves the patriotic music. He was a very good trumpet player
& when he enlisted they told him he could try out for the MC band but they never let him. The music is kinda important to dh. That is why I am using a cd.

He was in CA in 66. He is 9 yrs older than I so I was not the brave heroic woman waitng for her husband as you have been. I do thank you & your husband for his service.
We were invited to the ball one yr. I am sorry to say that I do not have pics. I saw some people had posted ball pics here though.
I do understand about how you are making it more simple & how it should be respectful.
The dyno label maker is another good idea. Thanks!
Oh on a site someone posted a ball pic that was done simply but they added red white & blue buttons in a heart shape around the couple. It was simple but dramatic too. I saved it so if you want to see it, let me know.

Those paper packs you bought are gorgeous. I do have those same papers because I bought them when they fist came out. I think they are perfect.
My dh loves my scrapping. He is funny too. The running joke has been that I have been collecting papers & stuff for his album longer than he was in. LOL I did stop buying a couple yrs ago. The joke is now it will take me longer to do the album than he was in. LOL
I am having him write what the journaling too. I will use the stuff I told you about for titles etc. Some months, he does not remember much. Others, he remembers most. I do put it away for long long periods though.
If you have more ideas, please share.
Thanks again!!!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-26-09 05:40 AM
In response to anda11

I making the album as a surprise for Fathers Day. He has walked in on me twice so far. He knows I'm doing something, but I don't think he has actually seen anything.

I was thinking the DCWV page talkers were longer than 20 seconds, until I read the description again! I found one somewhere that was 2 minutes. Hopefully, I wrote the manufacturer name somewhere. Maybe it was a talking pic frame?

He was PFC before he started boot. They were doing some kind of promo for the guys that went in delayed entry. He signed up 5 more guys and they promoted him.

Currently, I'm trying to do his promotion certificates for each rank. I haven't decided if I want to purchase actual patches for each rank, or draw/cut them out of paper. I have his final rank patch left over from our bar, but I don't have the others. I found a place online that I can order them. It will cost me just under $50 for get all of the missing ones.

When our house flooded in 2006, we added a bar (complete with beer keg, wine chiller, the whole thing!). We made the bartop so that we could decorate the top and then poured that epoxy stuff on top. The center of the bartop has military rank coins, chevron pins, military jet pins, etc. from DH, and our other family members that were/are in service. I had ordered his final rank patch, planning to put that in it too. The patch just didn't look right with the other stuff, tho.

My other problem is that we have misplaced some of the certificates. Do you know if there is someplace that I could get the certficates? I think I'll try the DAV next week, maybe they can help me. If not, I'll just make my own certificates.

I hear him getting up, gotta run!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
I making the album as a surprise for Fathers Day. He has walked in on me twice so far. He knows I'm doing something, but I don't think he has actually seen anything.

I was thinking the DCWV page talkers were longer than 20 seconds, until I read the description again! I found one somewhere that was 2 minutes. Hopefully, I wrote the manufacturer name somewhere. Maybe it was a talking pic frame?

He was PFC before he started boot. They were doing some kind of promo for the guys that went in delayed entry. He signed up 5 more guys and they promoted him.

Currently, I'm trying to do his promotion certificates for each rank. I haven't decided if I want to purchase actual patches for each rank, or draw/cut them out of paper. I have his final rank patch left over from our bar, but I don't have the others. I found a place online that I can order them. It will cost me just under $50 for get all of the missing ones.

When our house flooded in 2006, we added a bar (complete with beer keg, wine chiller, the whole thing!). We made the bartop so that we could decorate the top and then poured that epoxy stuff on top. The center of the bartop has military rank coins, chevron pins, military jet pins, etc. from DH, and our other family members that were/are in service. I had ordered his final rank patch, planning to put that in it too. The patch just didn't look right with the other stuff, tho.

My other problem is that we have misplaced some of the certificates. Do you know if there is someplace that I could get the certficates? I think I'll try the DAV next week, maybe they can help me. If not, I'll just make my own certificates.

I hear him getting up, gotta run!

That is so exciting!! What a perfect gift! When he caame in, did he see scrap stuff or MC stuff?? I hope it was just scrap stuff.

I am sorry to mislead you about the page talker. I was trying to not write so long so you wouldn't have to read it. I was really talking about the sound buttons they had yrs ago. These new ones sound much longer. I can see why you would use one. I may have to rethink mine.

About the patches- Does it matter to you if you have the actual patch? I saw some layouts here where someone scanned the patches & printed them out on scrapbook paper & cut them out. If you can buy them online, maybe you could save the pic to your computer & print them out. I have done that before but not about MC stuff. If he likes the patches, I can see wanting to buy them again.

About the promotion certificates- I have lots of sites saved over the yrs. I am pretty sure some are where you can get info but I may be confusing them with ones for my Dad & uncles in WWII.
I will start looking through them today to see what I can find. Are many of them similar?? I wonder if you can copy them in your puter & change them?
This is probably a dumb question but you do know about Sgt. Grit, don't you?
They have evryting MC & lots of links for stuff. Lots of stories & info but you probably have it already.
I will start looking.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 08:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Hey Tivi, I sent you a pm with the 1st link. I will send more.
On the left side of the page had a buch of links too. One of them was for awards & medals & it had each branch info there. I don't want you to miss it.

I sent a total of 3 pms with links. See if any help you.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 11:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Guru
In response to anda11

Since my album is a memorial album I don't have one for any specific service though my late hubby was Army.

Is it just my imagination or have the words to the Army song changed since I was in in the late '70's? I want to put a copy of each services hymn/song at the front of my album since it covers all the services.

Does anyone know if the Coast Guard was considered a branch of the military during the VietNam War? If so I want to put in their song. I also want to put in something for the Merchant Marines as that's what my father was in during WWII as he was a cook on a Navy hospital ship. Any help with these questions will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to moodymolly

• moodymolly Said:
Since my album is a memorial album I don't have one for any specific service though my late hubby was Army.

Is it just my imagination or have the words to the Army song changed since I was in in the late '70's? I want to put a copy of each services hymn/song at the front of my album since it covers all the services.

Does anyone know if the Coast Guard was considered a branch of the military during the VietNam War? If so I want to put in their song. I also want to put in something for the Merchant Marines as that's what my father was in during WWII as he was a cook on a Navy hospital ship. Any help with these questions will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Molly, Thank you for joining our thread!! I want to say that I am sorry to hear about your husband. If I am reading right, you were in too, right?? I am fighting a headache today. It is hard to concentrate. I want to thank you both for your service.

I think your album sounds nice about covering all services in your family. :)My dh is a huge history & war buff & is pretty knowlegable about WWII. He is asleep but I will see if he knows any of your answers.:)

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to anda11

Hello,I am not making a military album but I am putting my grandfather's WWII pictures in my heritage album. He enlisted in the army signal corps which became the air force. He was a radio operator on a plane. He told me he once went on a rescue mission for missing fighter planes. I think he was talking about the planes that went missing in the Bermuda triangle.Do any of you know of any good websites where I could find information on the creation of the air force and some where I could research his military searvice?Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to lilyrose

Lilyrose, My dh is out here. He thinks those planes may be called The Lost Squadron or the ghost squadron. We will google it right now too see.

I just pmd you a link with it.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 12:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to anda11

I'm not doing an album but just completed two military layouts about my son in-law....and will be doing pages in the future. He's soon to be deployed to Afganistan and will send me pics he said. I'm going to mark this thread to follow and hope you all have pics in your gallery to look at. I'll check later. thanks.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• moodymolly Said:

Molly, I just pm'd you with a link to a page telling about Coast Guard in Viet Nam. You could google that to get more pages on it.
MY dh is not helpful on your Dad because he was under the impression that if you were on the ship, you were in the Navy & not the Merchant Marine but I asked if it was because of it being a hospital ship maybe? There could have been exceptions. My Dad was in the Navy in WWII & I o have sites saved that have WWII naval history, naval information, how they named the ships, how to find veterans info & pics of the ships.
I gogled my Dad's ship yrs ago & found some pics of it. I saved them to my computer & sent them to my online photo developer & they came out great. They were 29 c ea. I do not have a pic that they issued my Dad but my dh says that they were signing up so many people & they might have skipped the formal pics because they were in a hurry.
I do have him & his brothers in uniform together.
I saw someone here post a layout of brothers & they titled it Brothers In Arms. I think that is what I am going to put on mine. :)I will see if I can find any info of the Merchant Marine.
If you need the Navy sites since he was on a ship-let me know.

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to anda11

Thanks,I'm going to check it out.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Molly, I sent you a pm with some info about the Army song. hth
I am trying to find Merchant Marine info. DH says they were civilian crew on cargo vessels. I wonder if a hospital ship is considered a cargo vessel? I asked dh why they joined the MM instead of the Navy & dh says that they got paid more.
Good reason.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Molly, I am sending you a link with a site that is titled Frequently asked questions about the Merchant Marine?
You could print out the info you want on your scrapbook paper so you can put it in your layout. I have done that with the Navy ship info etc.
The site has lots of links too.
hth

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I use a website a LOT which has a huge section on military scrapbooking! Everything else too, but the best I have seen on Military scrapping.

Lots of papers and die cuts and other things.

If anyone wants the link just send me a PM and I'll forward it.

My husband has been out of the army for a long time and we weren't together when he was in the army so I don't have any of this things. He retired Special Forces/Green Beret and I'm sure there are some wonderful things somewhere, since he put in 20 years, but no idea where. I'd love to surprise him with a scrapbook but I have nothing to put in it.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Lilyrose, I just sent you 2 links with the history of the Air Force.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to lilyrose

Lilyrose, I just sent you a pm that has links to find someones military records. hth

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 01:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
I'm not doing an album but just completed two military layouts about my son in-law....and will be doing pages in the future. He's soon to be deployed to Afganistan and will send me pics he said. I'm going to mark this thread to follow and hope you all have pics in your gallery to look at. I'll check later. thanks.

Hi Diana, Thanks for joining our thread. Thank your sil & your daughter for his service. I do hope he dos send you pics. I do wish him safety. I hope you check back later.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to anda11

Henri Jean I would love the link! I am working on my dh's military album (usaf) and Although I want to keep it simple I would love to find a few embellies I could use!! Pming you now!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to anda11

anda11; I'll take those Navy sites. My dad was in the Navy on a ship during WWII. It might be fun to see what I can find. Thanks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

Shay - I just sent the link to you. You can click on any branch, but I think the best stuff is a little futher down under "General Military".

Let me know how you like it.

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to anda11

Thanks Anda11,one of the sites has contact information for their genealogy department. I will give that a try. I have pics of 1 or 2 of the planes my gf flew on. I would like to find out what kind they were as well as some info. on his service. I actually have pics. of his brothers when and where they served as well as my gf. Each in a different branch of the service and a different part of the world.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Shay - I just sent the link to you. You can click on any branch, but I think the best stuff is a little futher down under "General Military".

Let me know how you like it.

I agree! great stuff! love the papers! I see a lot of other great non-military items too!! Thanks!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to lilyrose

• lilyrose Said:
Thanks Anda11,one of the sites has contact information for their genealogy department. I will give that a try. I have pics of 1 or 2 of the planes my gf flew on. I would like to find out what kind they were as well as some info. on his service. I actually have pics. of his brothers when and where they served as well as my gf. Each in a different branch of the service and a different part of the world.

Hey lilyrose, If you post the pics of those planes my dh can tell you what kind of planes they are & when they were used. Then you can do a google search on that specific plane. My dh is into planes & flying too. Then you will have a history of those planes if you want to get info for your layout. You probably will be able to get which aircraft carrier they were on (maybe). Then you may be able to get where exactly they were during the war.
I had the same with my Dad & his brothers-differnt branches & different parts of the world.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 03:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
I use a website a LOT which has a huge section on military scrapbooking! Everything else too, but the best I have seen on Military scrapping.

Lots of papers and die cuts and other things.

If anyone wants the link just send me a PM and I'll forward it.

My husband has been out of the army for a long time and we weren't together when he was in the army so I don't have any of this things. He retired Special Forces/Green Beret and I'm sure there are some wonderful things somewhere, since he put in 20 years, but no idea where. I'd love to surprise him with a scrapbook but I have nothing to put in it.

Hi Henri Jean, I am glad you are joining us too! I would love for you to send me that site in a pm. Thanks in advance! :)It sounds good.
Has your dh ever mentioned his military stuff? Does he even have pics? I wonder if he has it but you do not know about it. Since he was in such a special group, I would think he would have been proud of his stuff & kept it somewhere. If he doesn't have it, would a family member have it? Are his parents still here? Maybe they have it. Maybe you could ask them so you could make an album. I am sure we could find sites with info too.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to ShaylaCreations

• ShaylaCreations Said:
Henri Jean I would love the link! I am working on my dh's military album (usaf) and Although I want to keep it simple I would love to find a few embellies I could use!! Pming you now!

Shayla, Thanks for joining us too! Thank you for his service. There is a company that has been making lots of pretty specific dies for all of the branches from now back to WWII. I think I know what site she is talking about but not sure.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:

Thank you! I've been looking for the exact thing you referenced. I knew it had to be out there somewhere. A page talker where I can record music for the page.

I was just telling a gf last week that it's what I've been missing. Price is right too!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
anda11; I'll take those Navy sites. My dad was in the Navy on a ship during WWII. It might be fun to see what I can find. Thanks.

Hey Diana- I just pmd you with 6 links I think.
A couple were specifically for my Dad's ship. One was a page that had his actual ship history & pics which I printed out. The other is about a baby flat top carrier (his ship was) & gives the history of that type of ship & where they went & maybe pics. The reason I sent those so you can see what you can get for your Dad's specific ship. Do you know the name of it by chance?
I also googled his ships name too yrs ago.
I think there may be a way to find out which ship he was on in WWII if you don't know.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • ShaylaCreations Said:

Shayla, Thanks for joining us too! Thank you for his service. There is a company that has been making lots of pretty specific dies for all of the branches from now back to WWII. I think I know what site she is talking about but not sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do believe it is the same site. I love how organized it is by branch and war!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • Sunnydi Said:

A couple were specifically for my Dad's ship. One was a page that had his actual ship history & pics which I printed out. The other is about a baby flat top carrier (his ship was) & gives the history of that type of ship & where they went & maybe pics. The reason I sent those so you can see what you can get for your Dad's specific ship. Do you know the name of it by chance?
I think there may be a way to find out which ship he was on in WWII if you don't know.

I don't know which ship my dad was on. I have a pic of him with a bunch of guys (somewhere) I'll see if it has anything writton on the back. My dad's been dead since he was 38 (that was 47 years ago)...so no help from him.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
  • anda11 Said:
  • Sunnydi Said:

I don't know which ship my dad was on. I have a pic of him with a bunch of guys (somewhere) I'll see if it has anything writton on the back. My dad's been dead since he was 38 (that was 47
years ago)...so no help from him.

I am not able to ask my Dad either. He has been gone for yrs too. The truth is they never really talked about it. They didn't hide it but they never brought it up. If you can post that pic, maybe my dh can help. He says that they had a patch that identified their ship on their sleeve. I wonder if you can see their sleeves? I have scanned heritage pics in my puter & then when you look at them, they let you enlarge them. You can see details. You can send for his service records which will tell you where he went. The National Archives site I sent you is where I thought you can get them. Dh thinks there may be another way too. I will try to find that.

hawgmn1
Idol
hawgmn1
In response to anda11

Hi all! I just ran across this post and glad I did. My husband is retiring from the Navy after 23 years of service on May 8th so I am looking for more ideas of LO's for his albums. I do have some LO's in my gallery from his book and from a friend of ours book that I made for him. I will be checking out this post for more ideas.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to JustJenScraps

Thank you! I've been looking for the exact thing you referenced. I knew it had to be out there somewhere. A page talker where I can record music for the page.

I was just telling a gf last week that it's what I've been missing. Price is right too!

Hey Jen! Thanks for joining us!! I just sent you some links per your pm. Are you able to ask your relatives anything? Are you trying to find out what he did when he was in? Was he a pilot? When was he in? I am sure we can find more info for you besides the links I sent you. Do you have a pic of his plane if he was a pilot?
Do you have any paper stuff of his at all? We can get clues from that.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 06:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:

Hey Jen! Thanks for joining us!! I just sent you some links per your pm. Are you able to ask your father anything? Are you trying to find out what he did when he was in? Was he a pilot? When was he in?

Mom has a little bit of information; where he was stationed but I'm trying to go back 30+ years. He was a nutritionist at the hospital in Weisbaden Germany. USAF 1971-1976. The hospital is the same one where they took the hostages from Libya after they were released... I was so little, I barely remember.

The really hard one is going to be Grandpa's WWII pictures. My uncle is the only one that MIGHT be able to tell me anything. I do know he ran telegraph line in Europe during WWII; US Army. Not much to go on...

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

wow - you guys are all over this! I've been working on my fil's lo for some time now, in between other projects. He was a Navy Seabee during WWII in the South Pacific, the Admiralty Islands 1944-45 around there. He lost/threw away/whatever his medals and uniform but I was able to reconstruct quite a bit from the information on the back of his discharge paper. Fortunately, I have tons of journaling from his recollections and I've been able to get info and photo of his ship off a website. Now I need to get him to proof the journaling for accuracy and I just might be able to start arranging the lo this week!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:

Hey Jen! Thanks for joining us!! I just sent you some links per your pm. Are you able to ask your father anything? Are you trying to find out what he did when he was in? Was he a pilot? When was he in?

Mom has a little bit of information; where he was stationed but I'm trying to go back 30+ years. He was a nutritionist at the hospital in Weisbaden Germany. USAF 1971-1976. The hospital is the same one where they took the hostages from Libya after they were released... I was so little, I barely remember.

The really hard one is going to be Grandpa's WWII pictures. My uncle is the only one that MIGHT be able to tell me anything. I do know he ran telegraph line in Europe during WWII; US Army. Not much to go on...

Hey Jen, My dh said to look up the Signal Corps for your Grandpa. I did & I just pmd you some sites with the history of the signal corp which did the communication stuff and some photography stuff too. It has several histories & some pics too. You could probaly copy the pics of some of the equipment & men doing it & then send them to an online pic developer. Mine is 29c a pic. You could also print parts of the history of it for your layout.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:

Hey Jen, My dh said to look up the Signal Corps for your Grandpa. I did & I just pmd you some sites with the history of the signal corp which did the communication stuff and some photography stuff too. It has several histories & some pics too. You could probaly copy the pics of some of the equipment & men doing it & then send them to an online pic developer. Mine is 29c a pic. You could also print parts of the history of it for your layout.

Thank you! I will definitely check out the sites. I was lucky enough to receive an album full of black and white pictures that he took when he was stationed. Unfortunately, there are no writings, just pictures... I did get a bit of his memoriblila when my Dad passed, so I might be able to link something together.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
  • jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
Thank you! I will definitely check out the sites. I was lucky enough to receive an album full of black and white pictures that he took when he was stationed. Unfortunately, there are no writings, just pictures... I did get a bit of his memoriblila when my Dad passed, so I might be able to link something together.

Jen, are the pics attached to the paper or do they have photo corners? If they attached, maybe there is writing on the backs.I am glad to hear you got the memorabilia. That is so cool. It probably will help. You can request his military recors from one of those sites I sent you in the beginning. They will tell where he went.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to hawgmn1

• hawgmn1 Said:
Hi all! I just ran across this post and glad I did. My husband is retiring from the Navy after 23 years of service on May 8th so I am looking for more ideas of LO's for his albums. I do have some LO's in my gallery from his book and from a friend of ours book that I made for him. I will be checking out this post for more ideas.

Welcome Patricia! It is good that you found us!
I do want to thank you for your hubby's service! That is a long time. Congrats on his retirement!
I am glad you have some layouts in your gallery so we can get ideas. Thanks for sharing!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
wow - you guys are all over this! I've been working on my fil's lo for some time now, in between other projects. He was a Navy Seabee during WWII in the South Pacific, the Admiralty Islands 1944-45 around there. He lost/threw away/whatever his medals and uniform but I was able to reconstruct quite a bit from the information on the back of his discharge paper. Fortunately, I have tons of journaling from his recollections and I've been able to get info and photo of his ship off a website. Now I need to get him to proof the journaling for accuracy and I just might be able to start arranging the lo this week!

Hi Jersey! You sound like you are all over it too. I am happy you found us! It sounds like your layout is coming along so well. You are so lucky to be able to ask him. It makes me sad to think how there are not too many of them left. Feel free to share it when you are done.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I just found this info on finding records.
There are links below that do not show on here.
If you would like me to send you the links that are below, let me know...

How can I obtain my military service records?

The Veterans History Project does not hold any veterans’ records. To request replacement records you need to contact the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) in St. Louis. View instructions for requesting replacement records.

How can I obtain a list of medals and decorations to which I am entitled?

You will need to contact the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) in St. Louis.

How can I locate someone I served with?

We cannot release personal information about a veteran, due to numerous privacy laws. The Department of Veterans Affairs and certain military branches may be able forward your contact information or message to veterans or active service personnel. Some Veterans’ Service Organizations such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion maintain reunion listings, member directories and locator services.

How can I receive information on veterans’ benefits?

You can find more information about veterans’ benefits by visiting the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site.

Edited by anda11 on 04-26-09 09:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

I sure will! Little hold up, my printer isn't working right now for some reason so that'll put a hold on getting the journaling printed, but I have some other details I need to work on anyway in the meantime - I do plan on adding some whimsical touches to this spread, like ads of the time and the pinup girls they used to put on their planes and stuff - fil has so many funny stories of those days that I can't really pull off a completely serious lo for him.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-27-09 05:08 AM
In response to RockStar

Oh my! I leave for a day, and this simple thread explodes!

Welcome all!! It looks like we have quite a spread of branches and times served. Thanks to everyone who served, in combat and peacetime.

I'm pretty sure we can post websites for military research, as they are not scrap sites.

Here are the ones Anda pm'd me:

NPO for records: http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-per sonnel/ind...

Memorabilia: http://www.grunt.com/

Music: http://gba.wavethemes.net/music-pmm.html

BB: http://www.vetfriends.com/army.cfm

Someone mentioned planes and pinup girls. I have a book of aircraft art: "Aircraft Noseart, 80 years of Aviation Artwork" by JP Wood. It's full of pics that were painted on the aircraft. If someone is looking for this type of artwork, let me know and I can look in my book.

Sometimes, it's difficult to get vets to talk about their service for a variety of reasons. Just a reminder to think about what you write on here. My uncle was a guard during the Nuremburg trials. Their family (my mom and her brothers/sisters/mom) IN THE US received death threats during the trial. For others, their missions may still be covered by National Security.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-27-09 05:27 AM
In response to Tivi

Oh, I forgot to add...

Yesterday, DH decided he wanted to post of his pics to one of the message boards for MAG-42. He was looking all over for his pics and was really getting upset that he couldn't find "the box".

For those of you who haven't read the beginning part of this thread, I am working on a USMC album as a surprse for DH. I took all of his pics out of the sticky magnetic albums and sorted them by date in baggies. The baggies are in with my scrapping stuff so he can't find them.

So, there we are. DH is getting more upset by the minute, and I can't decide if I should pull out the sorted pics. I finally send him to the store for ice (the only thing I could think of) so I can make him a drink. While he is gone, I get the pics for him. When he gets back, he says "you found them! Why are they in bags?" Thinking fast, I say "remember when you blew up the garage? I had to get the pics out of the albums to air the smoke smell out of them". It's kinda true, the heat and smoke from the fire got into everything that didn't burn.

Anyway, he posted about 30 pics COMPLETE WITH NAMES!!!! Woo hoo!! Now I have the names and actual dates/location of some of the pics!!! Sorry, but all flight lines look the same after a while - concrete, hangers, planes, sky.

If any of you were part of MAG-42, please don't mention this on any message board. It's still a surprise!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Tivi

hehe! Isn't it fun the closer you get to getting done the anticipation you feel for the actual presentation of the completed project!
I'm going to throw this out there - my fil's WWII navy years are far less photos (since he threw everything away) and alot more journaling - I want to put the journaling up front for all to read, but then it's all journaling? Would you recommend hidden journaling?
I'm working on making alot all of the embellies, I bought some trip at J's yesterday that looks exactly like nautical rope so I'll either knot that, or tie it around a lifesaver or an anchor which I may make out of chipboard - I have a long ways to go!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-27-09 10:10 AM
In response to RockStar

Actually, the closer I get to being done, the more nervous I get about DH finding out! Maybe I just have a guilty conscience!

Gee, you have a tough problem - journaling but no pics Most of us have pics, but no journaling!

I think I would do some hidden journaling behind the embellies you are making, just to break it up. Do you have any postcards from that era? Some of the antique stores in my area have boxes of old postcards.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Tivi

That's a good idea - I'm also using a couple of old advertisements I could use for that. Thanks! I just didn't really WANT to hide the journaling, but, whaddayagonna do?

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-28-09 05:56 AM
In response to RockStar

Has anyone applied and/or recieved a Cold War Service Certificate? It's for those who served between 1945-ish and 1991 (I can't remember the exact dates).

I keep trying to access the site to apply for DH, but my anti-virus won't let me. Is it just me?

www.coldwar.army.mil ---- for all branches of service

FutureRN22boys
Veteran
FutureRN22boys
In response to anda11

CTMH has a few military stamp sets, they are very cute, i wish my hubby had stayed in a little (okay a lot) longer. I can look up the item # and what not and post them here if you guys want to see them.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I do know of some places online where you can find actual old postcards & memorabilia or vintage pics. I know one was free. When we had the childhood memories thread here, we were all going to the auction site or google pictures to find specific items. Then we right clicked on them to save them & then we sent them to the online photo place & they came out great.
Most of the stuff when you googled was not for sale anyway. I am sure you could find vintage pics of everything you guys arte talking about.
My dh told me to google airplane nose art & it gives you the choice of images or you can look at many pages of sites. You could use some for your pages.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
I sure will! Little hold up, my printer isn't working right now for some reason so that'll put a hold on getting the journaling printed, but I have some other details I need to work on anyway in the meantime - I do plan on adding some whimsical touches to this spread, like ads of the time and the pinup girls they used to put on their planes and stuff - fil has so many funny stories of those days that I can't really pull off a completely serious lo for him.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:

I just posted about finding vintage images & especially about the airplane art. I have done lots of layouts that have no pics but lots of journaling so if you feel you have no choice, it is ok. Don't feel bad.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to FutureRN22boys

• jamesmommy Said:
CTMH has a few military stamp sets, they are very cute, i wish my hubby had stayed in a little (okay a lot) longer. I can look up the item # and what not and post them here if you guys want to see them.

Thank You for your hubbys service!! Thank you for joining us! Thanks for telling us about those stamps. We appreciate it.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

Jen,
I messed up my post earlier to you. Are the pics in that album stuck down??? I wonder if there is writing on the back at all if they are.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
Oh, I forgot to add...

Yesterday, DH decided he wanted to post of his pics to one of the message boards for MAG-42. He was looking all over for his pics and was really getting upset that he couldn't find "the box".

For those of you who haven't read the beginning part of this thread, I am working on a USMC album as a surprse for DH. I took all of his pics out of the sticky magnetic albums and sorted them by date in baggies. The baggies are in with my scrapping stuff so he can't find them.

So, there we are. DH is getting more upset by the minute, and I can't decide if I should pull out the sorted pics. I finally send him to the store for ice (the only thing I could think of) so I can make him a drink. While he is gone, I get the pics for him. When he gets back, he says "you found them! Why are they in bags?" Thinking fast, I say "remember when you blew up the garage? I had to get the pics out of the albums to air the smoke smell out of them". It's kinda true, the heat and smoke from the fire got into everything that didn't burn.

Anyway, he posted about 30 pics COMPLETE WITH NAMES!!!! Woo hoo!! Now I have the names and actual dates/location of some of the pics!!! Sorry, but all flight lines look the same after a while - concrete, hangers, planes, sky.

If any of you were part of MAG-42, please don't mention this on any message board. It's still a surprise!

OH my goodness!! This is hilarious !!! This is so funny. I am laughing now! Is this the 3rd time he almost found out?? LOL How much longer can you hold out ? LOL Fathers Day seems so far away. LOL
It is a sign that you are doing the right thing because he posted those names!! He played right into it. Wait till he opens it & realizes how he helped you. LOL

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
Has anyone applied and/or recieved a Cold War Service Certificate? It's for those who served between 1945-ish and 1991 (I can't remember the exact dates).

I keep trying to access the site to apply for DH, but my anti-virus won't let me. Is it just me?

Thanks Tivi. I had not heard of that. I did get the same message as you did. Maybe it will be different later.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
Jen,
I messed up my post earlier to you. Are the pics in that album stuck down??? I wonder if there is writing on the back at all if they are.

They're in photo corners. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything on the back of the ones I looked at...

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

Sigh, dh won't get a chance to fix my printer until Saturday. But I have a few more embellie things to work on plus I could start matting, but I'll be so ready by Saturday to rock and roll on this!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
Jen,

They're in photo corners. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything on the back of the ones I looked at...

Jen, In my efforts to be so helpful, I now realize that I what I asked you sounded kinda stupid. Of course you would think to look at the back. I am sorry.

Kimberly Rae Cole
Diva
Kimberly Rae Cole
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • Tivi Said:

My husband did apply and received his last year. We are both Navy veterans, however I joined the Navy in 93, so I was two years short.

Thanks Tivi. I had not heard of that. I did get the same message as you did. Maybe it will be different later.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Sigh, dh won't get a chance to fix my printer until Saturday. But I have a few more embellie things to work on plus I could start matting, but I'll be so ready by Saturday to rock and roll on this!!

Hey Racquel, I am having some printer issues too so hopefully it won't be too long to get it fixed.
Some of the stuff needs to be printed. I do need to send to get my Dad's records. I am planning on making multiple layouts for my parents & uncles.

Kimberly Rae Cole
Diva
Kimberly Rae Cole
In response to Kimberly Rae Cole

Well, my post seems to have gotten lost.

My husband applied for the Cold War Service Certificate and received his last year. I was two years short, as I didn't join the Navy until 1993

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-30-09 03:22 PM

So he really did receive it? I'm still being blocked from the site. Maybe I'll stop at the public library this weekend and try it on their computer.

Is there any way you could post the certificate? I'm curious what it looks like.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-30-09 03:28 PM
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
Jen,

Jen, In my efforts to be so helpful, I now realize that I what I asked you sounded kinda stupid. Of course you would think to look at the back. I am sorry. :)

LOL!! Sometimes, you just gotta point out the obvious to me!! I found an pic in one of our photo boxes and did not know who it was. I stared at it, compared it to other pics, and was just going crazy trying figure it out. Several days later, I called my mom to tell her that I was emailing the pic to her because I wanted to know who it was. As I was placing the pic on my scanner, face down, I noticed the name and date written on the back of the pic! Worse yet - it was my mom and I didn't recognize her!

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
  • anda11 Said:
  • jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
Jen,

Jen, In my efforts to be so helpful, I now realize that I what I asked you sounded kinda stupid. Of course you would think to look at the back. I am sorry. :)

LOL!! Sometimes, you just gotta point out the obvious to me!! I found an pic in one of our photo boxes and did not know who it was. I stared at it, compared it to other pics, and was just going crazy trying figure it out. Several days later, I called my mom to tell her that I was emailing the pic to her because I wanted to know who it was. As I was placing the pic on my scanner, face down, I noticed the name and date written on the back of the pic! Worse yet - it was my mom and I didn't recognize her!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

Dh says he'll sit with the printer Saturday morning and see what's up - if he can fix it, I should have my stuff up Sunday - after the big nsd crush! I started gluing down tonight leaving space just for the journaling so I'm committed now.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Altered Whimseys Said:
Well, my post seems to have gotten lost.

My husband applied for the Cold War Service Certificate and received his last year. I was two years short, as I didn't join the Navy until 1993

Thanks for joining us!! Thank you both for serving. I am glad that you received that certificate. I hope we can get the site to open soon.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
  • anda11 Said:
  • jenbustillo Said:
  • anda11 Said:
Jen,

You have me laughing so hard again!! That is so funny! Thanks for sharing so I can laugh at you. LOL

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Dh says he'll sit with the printer Saturday morning and see what's up - if he can fix it, I should have my stuff up Sunday - after the big nsd crush! I started gluing down tonight leaving space just for the journaling so I'm committed now.

keeping fingers crossed

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Dh was sweet enough to send my journaling AND my emailed 50% off Coupons to himself at work so he could print them out.
So I was able to go to lss and get my Tim Holtz stuff I needed for these lo's BUT (and he doesn't know this) I don't like the way he printed out my journaling. For whatever reason, the changes I had made to the font, etc. didn't carry through and it printed out in ariel or something.
So I'm going to try to be patient and see if he can fix my printer without letting him know that the journaling he printed for me is 'just not good enough'.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

YAY! Dh got the printer to work now my journaling is just how I want it. I did 2 pages (but who knows if they're REALLY done at this point). I'm not even sure right now how many total this spread will be - I look at something 50 times before I declare it done! But so far, so good! I think fil and mil are going to be thrilled.

Guru

Ladies, one thing I can help with is a place to go to actually order copies of military records. Just go to www.va.gov and near the top right side there's a small blue box and the third listing is "military records". Click on it and it brings up a page telling you how and where to look to order copies of military records. In fact there are links on the page. You need to be either the service member or the next of kin in order for them to send you the records. All of it can be done online except for the signature page which you can either print out and fax or mail to them.
I believe you can ever get replacement medals if they've been lost, stolen, etc. though I've never tried. I want to get the medals my late hubby earned as I've never had them, guess they were buried with him though I don't really know. I also want to get a replacement for his burial flag as it was stolen from me in '99 by a so called friend who said she was having it put into a case for me.

Margy
Margy 
Queen
Margy
  • Margy on 05-02-09 10:34 PM

Hey everyone!

This looks like an interesting thread, and I've done a bit of skimming, but I'm a little exhausted, so I'll check it out more later.

I come from a family of veterans, including myself, and it would be so cool to hear about all this stuff. It's interesting, but my dad retired after 30 years in the Navy, and even now he doesn't talk about it much!

So this is going into my faves, and I'll try to catch up on the conversation.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Margy

Hi Margy - welcome aboard!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

Ok, I'm finished and posted. It came out to 7 pages total - all with exactly 2 photos and 10 pages of journaling that I started out with.

Alright, I'm going to go rest now...for about a month! LOL!!

I can't wait until fil sees it - so excited!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 05-05-09 10:18 AM
In response to RockStar

I still can't get the other site to open, but I found the application for the Cold War Certificate.

http://www.189thahc.org/coldwarcertificate.html

Fill it out, then fax with the DD Form 214.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:
I still can't get the other site to open, but I found the application for the Cold War Certificate.

http://www.189thahc.org/coldwarcertificate.html

Fill it out, then fax with the DD Form 214.

Thanks so much Tivi!! I have his dd 214 right here. :)How is your album coming??

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I am posting so I don't forget to post some of those links I talked about earlier. I have already forgotten it. LOL

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Hey guys, I was cruising the store when I saw these. I did not realize that SBcom has such a BIG military section. Lots of it is new to me.
Check these stickers out- I like them!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Has anyone else completed their military layout(s)? I'd love to see!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• moodymolly Said:
Ladies, one thing I can help with is a place to go to actually order copies of military records. Just go to www.va.gov and near the top right side there's a small blue box and the third listing is "military records". Click on it and it brings up a page telling you how and where to look to order copies of military records. In fact there are links on the page. You need to be either the service member or the next of kin in order for them to send you the records. All of it can be done online except for the signature page which you can either print out and fax or mail to them.
I believe you can ever get replacement medals if they've been lost, stolen, etc. though I've never tried. I want to get the medals my late hubby earned as I've never had them, guess they were buried with him though I don't really know. I also want to get a replacement for his burial flag as it was stolen from me in '99 by a so called friend who said she was having it put into a case for me.

Hey Molly, Thank you very much for those links! I do appreciate it!! Is my brain fried or didn't someone mention where to get medals?
I am so sorry to hear about your husbands flag. That just seems so disrespectful to me. Can't those be replaced?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Dh was sweet enough to send my journaling AND my emailed 50% off Coupons to himself at work so he could print them out.
So I was able to go to lss and get my Tim Holtz stuff I needed for these lo's BUT (and he doesn't know this) I don't like the way he printed out my journaling. For whatever reason, the changes I had made to the font, etc. didn't carry through and it printed out in ariel or something.

So I'm going to try to be patient and see if he can fix my printer without letting him know that the journaling he printed for me is 'just not good enough'.

That was sweet of him to try even if it didn't work right. I totally understand!!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Sure was - I found out that you can send away to a place located in St Louis for replacement medals and service records as well. I'm sorry I don't recall the website I saw this at in my research, but I found it accidentally just googling for stuff.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Margy

Hey Margy, I am glad you joined us too!! I do want to thank you & your families service all these yrs. I am sure you will be helpful to us too. Take your time catching up. We are in no hurry except for Tivi who is making a gift for Father's Day. That story is kinda funny too.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Did you know that, well this is for the navy guys, I was able to get an actual photo online of the ship he was on?!? I mean, I wasn't even looking for one, but again, found it accidentally. And it's a great shot! Fil is in total shock over what I was able to get. Well the ship info he remembered and told me. I just put it in the search engine, and voila!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Ok, I'm finished and posted. It came out to 7 pages total - all with exactly 2 photos and 10 pages of journaling that I started out with.

Alright, I'm going to go rest now...for about a month! LOL!!

I can't wait until fil sees it - so excited!

Hey Raquel, I just looked at all of your layouts. They are all incredible! I love every thing you did on those pages. Boy, you sure sounded like your layouts might be lesser because there were few pics. LOL Let's just say my mouth fell open when I saw them. I loved how you told the story of WWII as well as his history. I love how you got pics of the pin up girls & cut them out. I love how you found other objects that were not his to tell the story. I love the way you aged the map. I am so glad I saw yours before I did my WWII ones because now I want to do similar things to tell the story of the times along with it.
Thanks for sharing! I do appreciate it.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Did you know that, well this is for the navy guys, I was able to get an actual photo online of the ship he was on?!? I mean, I wasn't even looking for one, but again, found it accidentally. And it's a great shot! Fil is in total shock over what I was able to get. Well the ship info he remembered and told me. I just put it in the search engine, and voila!!

I know because I found it accidently when I googled my Dad's ship. I did make prints of it. I also printed history of the ship that was there too. I don't have too many stories about my Dad so it will be nice to have the extra stuff.
Jersey- I now feel like I can actually feel my layouts for then since yours cover so much. I love it.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Thanks, I'm flattered, but if it wasn't for the Internet there's no way I could have gotten all that. Have at it, and I'll keep watch on this thread to see when everybody else posts theirs.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have a poem/song that I found yrs ago to use on my Dad's Navy pics. I have pics of mom holding my newborn brother when Dad came home to see him. Dad is in uniform. I think my brother may be in a sailor suit or hat.
I may only use the 1st half
Maybe some of you can use it.

A Mother's Song

Sleep, baby,sleep,
Your daddy,s away,
Sleep, baby, sleep,
and mommy will pray,
Pray for your daddy
Who sails on the sea,
Pray while I'm rocking,
his babe on my knee;
May breezes blow gently
Where'er he may be,
And blow him home safely
To you and to me;
Safely,safely,
To you and to me,
To you and to me.

Sleep, baby, sleep,
Your daddy's away,
Sleep, baby, sleep
And mommy will pray,
Pray all the night
Through the sea's sullen roar,
Pray while I'm watching
And weeping so sore;
But there's daddy's voice
Coming up from the shore,
And now you and I
Are weeping no more,
Now you and I
Are weeping no more,
Are weeping no more.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Thanks, I'm flattered, but if it wasn't for the Internet there's no way I could have gotten all that. Have at it, and I'll keep watch on this thread to see when everybody else posts theirs.

I agree that the internet has sure helped sccrappers & genealogists greatly.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Hey Raquel, I just looked at all of your layouts. They are all incredible! I love every thing you did on those pages. Boy, you sure sounded like your layouts might be lesser because there were few pics. LOL Let's just say my mouth fell open when I saw them. I loved how you told the story of WWII as well as his history. I love how you got pics of the pin up girls & cut them out. I love how you found other objects that were not his to tell the story. I love the way you aged the map. I am so glad I saw yours before I did my WWII ones because now I want to do similar things to tell the story of the times along with it.
Thanks for sharing! I do appreciate it.

Hey, I wanted to apologize for not seeing them sooner. I just realized when you posted them.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Anda, thank you so much. Y'all KNOW how I struggled with these being he gave me so little photography to work with - you go ahead and have at it!

I can't wait to see everyone else's completed layouts now!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Here is the link that Molly posted that had records. Here is the same site with the replacing medals page..
http://www1.va.gov/opa/IS1/13.asp

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to anda11

Yup. That's the one.
Funny, fil didn't seem to care too much about having lost his medals - but he's so proud of that ruptured duck and the certificate they gave him for the crossing of the equator (he wouldn't talk about exactly what they did to commemorate that - I have a feeling it was more highjinks-type behavior at sea) than anything else.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics