Username Post: UGH...Someone PLEASE give me the secret!!!        (Topic#1504403)
StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

I am pulling my hair out! I spent an hour last night trying to MATCH pp to use on a LO. I see tons of LOs in the gallery with multiple pieces of pp on them, they look gorgeous, but every time I try to do it, it looks like a jumbled up mess of chaos!!! I went to bed frustrated over this!! I literally have hundreds and hundreds of pieces of pp in my drawers and for the life of me, I can't use more than one piece of PP and one piece of plain cardstock on a page and it is BORING me!!!!

So, I have decided that there must be a secret to this...and you people who know what it is (you know who you are), need to let the rest of us, at least me, in on this secret.

How do you match pp and how do you use multiple pieces of pp on a LO?

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to StarsNSparkles

I just go through my PPs and sometimes it jumps out...but if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...LSS also usually displays PPs that go together...Just do it!...I'm sure you are being too hard on yourself!!!

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to melissadam

I have stacks too so all the paper coordinates together and you just add cardstock!

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss

I don't think there is a secret, if there is I don't know it! You can check out my gallery, the most recent one I just uploaded has 3, kinda 4 pp, the Wedding Photo one. I struggle with this two, it actually took me 2 days to get the pp for this lo and I found it by mistake. I laid the photo down on the pink one in frustration and liked the way it looked. Another trick I used on that one is to ink down the paper to mute the patterns a little. I also have one on there, State Fair. To some people it may seem like a jumbled mess but I like it.

Most of the time I would go with one stronger pattern and then 1 or 2 more subtle patterns with similar or complementary colors. The paper packs help me because at least I know that all the colors match...Sometimes the paper works but you need more of this one and less of that one, just play around with the amount of paper. Try to take the stronger pp and use it sparingly and then use the others more boldly...you can get use to the mix of papers that way! Good luck!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• melissadam Said:
...if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...

I agree & testify that this is a great tip!

Coordinating PP Stacks totally take out the guess work & are a fantastic way to begin.

Not soon after, I'm sure you'll be mixing or mix-matching papers left & right, on your own & in no time...you'll be a pro!

luv2scrap:)
Guru
luv2scrap:)
In response to Scrapingbliss

I was also going to suggest buying multiple papers from the same paper lines--that way it takes the guess work out cause they are made to coordinate with each other.

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to Renee77

I can relate to what you are saying!! I know that stacks help since they coordinate.... but I also see work that people have done that use different manufacturers and different lines - and they look so nice. I don't seem to get the same look very easily. I'm ALWAYS questioning myself "does this really go?"

I think we are being too hard on ourselves. Perhaps we should challenge ourselves to just do it! Maybe next time you scrap just say "I'm going to use x different papers on this page" where x= a number that you are comfortable with. And then the next time, increase it by one.

Maybe using small pieces of different papers at first will help too.

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to scrappycath

Stephanie,

First let me say that I really like your lay-outs! That Lions, Tigers one is adorable and I like "My Prom Dress" too. You are doing some good work there!

When I first started scrapping I had something from Creative Memories called a "Color Wheel" it showed you what colors went with other colors. It was very helpful. You might be able to get one on-line or even at a paint store.

I think you are doing just great! Your colors look wonderful to me!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • melissadam Said:
...if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...

I agree & testify that this is a great tip!

Coordinating PP Stacks totally take out the guess work & are a fantastic way to begin.

Not soon after, I'm sure you'll be mixing or mix-matching papers left & right, on your own & in no time...you'll be a pro!

This is what I have and this is what I'm TRYING to do, but it isn't working for me. I know they go together but they aren't going together. lol!!! I'm working with the Fancy Pants Papa Collection kit...I know MOST of the problem is that these papers are way not my style, but I'm trying to branch out and try something different, so just the colors are making it hard.
Products Referenced in This Post:

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Matthews Wife

• Matthews Wife Said:
Stephanie,

First let me say that I really like your lay-outs! That Lions, Tigers one is adorable and I like "My Prom Dress" too. You are doing some good work there!

When I first started scrapping I had something from Creative Memories called a "Color Wheel" it showed you what colors went with other colors. It was very helpful. You might be able to get one on-line or even at a paint store.

I think you are doing just great! Your colors look wonderful to me!

You are too kind!! Thank you very much though, you have lifted my spirits and I might decide to not pull out all of my hair!!! Thanks though!

glensgirl
Idol
glensgirl

I struggle really hard with the pp combo's too. Even in those packs it makes me crazy and I feel like I can't do it "right".

When I do multiple pp I usually start off with small pieces and then keep on building - aka throwing them on the paper - and if I hate it, I just take 'em off and stick to my normal 1 or 2 pp's schemes.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Matthews Wife

I don't have too much problem finding the papers but I have problems layering them...I start out layering but always end up pulling the layers off thinking I've made the layout too junky...others can layer beautifully but it scares me. I think because I am basically a simple scrapper. The paper stack idea is great. They all have bold patterns mixed with coordinating subtle or smaller patterns....perfect for layering..(I have so many pieces of cut up and inked "layers" that didn't get used laying around). I think Melissadams idea was good...JUST DO IT.

Mama of a monkey
Mayor
Mama of a monkey
In response to dollscrap

Hee hee I use to be the same way. LOL now I just kind of throw stuff together until I see something I like

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to dollscrap

there was a book by Ali Edwards, A Designer Eye
Scrapbooking with patterned paper , that may help as a springboard and give you ideas.

but I know what you mean,
I just looked at a layout in a magazine, pp by 4 diff manufacturers, and just wondered HOW did she do that?

kattscrapfever
Pro
kattscrapfever
In response to dollscrap

Your layouts are gorgeous!

But I know where you're coming from. My default style is 1 pp w/ cs mats, and I've had to work on branching out.

I definitely advocate buying pp stacks, or buying several pps from the same line.

Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa
In response to kattscrapfever

I used to be so scared of patterned paper and mixing them. I started only using collections and stacks, now I have no fear of it. Just jump into in and use at least 4 different patterned paper s on your next layout. It will help, I promise! I was given that challenge, did it and it really changed how I looked at paper.

Noelle311
Diva
Noelle311
In response to Amigosa

I used to have this fear too!! Now I try to only buy PP in a stack or if it's a collection.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to Amigosa

Agreed about matching papers from the same line.

I'll also go through my odds and ends and throw stuff in - my friends are always like "I never would have put those colours together" ... and it usually works!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to peenut_23

I was scared for a while of cutting up pp and using more than one on a LO b/c I didn't want to run out, but I have quickly gotten over that fear. The problem is now, I'm tearing, distressing, inking, cutting, whatever it may be, then when I put it with the other pp I don't like it. Then, I feel like it is just wasted...I don't throw it away, you never know when you may be able to use it. I just did this to about 6 sheets of paper last night trying different things to find something I like. I guess it's just me and how I see it. It looks too messy (when I do it) and I feel like my pictures will get lost in all the pp

Babylou
Diva
Babylou

I think some of us just may not create that way. I love the layered look and the collage look. But, I can NOT do it! I just can't grasp my mind around putting all that stuff together and when I do try, I think it looks terrible! So, I just accept that I am a simple scrapper and that is ok. Good luck to you. It looks like the wonderful people here have given you some good ideas and pointers!

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to peenut_23

i think the best way to match pp together is to match it in one of two ways...

either match the colors but make sure the patterns are very, very different (eg. pink/green/brown small polka dots with pink/green/brown large flowers with pink/green/brown stripes)

OR...
match the patterns but not the colors. so choose colors that go together just like you match cardstock colors (eg. pink small flowers with lavendar medium flowers with light green flowers and leaves)

i find it easier to stick to the same color pallette and choose different patterns.

another tip i find helpful is to look at the size of the patterns. all very large patterns dont usually blend well, but mixing small and large patterns balance each other out. or if all the patterns are small, make them all different...stripes, leaves, floral, plaids all can go together if they are all small prints.

i also have the ali edwards designer's eye (for patterned paper ) book. i really like it and refer back to it.

i think once you follow some basic steps for choosing you'll start to get the hang of it and then can begin combining a bigger variety of pp's.

bottom line...you can always lay down a few pieces on a lo and if you hate it, try something else. but whatever you do, dont give up! you can do it!!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8

All of the above are great suggestions. I have another one that might help you start. Get out two pp that have a common color. Get out a piece of cs that is that common color. Use the cs as the background and one pp on one side as a border and the other pp on the other side as a border. (Tear it, use a border punch, whatever.) Then maybe you can use them as mats if you feel comfortable with that, on the side as the same pp border or the opposite. As you get more comfortable try using both pp on both sides, etc. Then branch out some more. Hope this helps!

mustBcrazy
Pro
mustBcrazy

hmmmm...maybe try going monochromatic. Different pp with the same major color. And try one big pattern combined with smaller pattern and simple pattern. kwim?

mustBcrazy
Pro
mustBcrazy
In response to mustBcrazy

hah! while I was posting hodgepodge722 said it better. So...what she said!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to hodgepodge722

• hodgepodge722 Said:
i think the best way to match pp together is to match it in one of two ways...

either match the colors but make sure the patterns are very, very different (eg. pink/green/brown small polka dots with pink/green/brown large flowers with pink/green/brown stripes)

OR...
match the patterns but not the colors. so choose colors that go together just like you match cardstock colors (eg. pink small flowers with lavendar medium flowers with light green flowers and leaves)

i find it easier to stick to the same color pallette and choose different patterns.

another tip i find helpful is to look at the size of the patterns. all very large patterns dont usually blend well, but mixing small and large patterns balance each other out. or if all the patterns are small, make them all different...stripes, leaves, floral, plaids all can go together if they are all small prints.

i also have the ali edwards designer's eye (for patterned paper ) book. i really like it and refer back to it.

i think once you follow some basic steps for choosing you'll start to get the hang of it and then can begin combining a bigger variety of pp's.

bottom line...you can always lay down a few pieces on a lo and if you hate it, try something else. but whatever you do, dont give up! you can do it!!

WOW!! Thank you so very much for really giving me information on HOW to match it!!! This is perfect and I'm going to use this tonight when I try to put that LO together!!! Maybe that's my problem, b/c I was trying to put big circles with big stars with stripes, they were in the same pp pack, but they are all multi-color papers, so maybe that is what it is. Thanks!!!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to johnsusan8

• johnsusan8 Said:
All of the above are great suggestions. I have another one that might help you start. Get out two pp that have a common color. Get out a piece of cs that is that common color. Use the cs as the background and one pp on one side as a border and the other pp on the other side as a border. (Tear it, use a border punch, whatever.) Then maybe you can use them as mats if you feel comfortable with that, on the side as the same pp border or the opposite. As you get more comfortable try using both pp on both sides, etc. Then branch out some more. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the idea Susan...that's an easy way to get into actually placing it on the LO.

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 05-13-09 09:40 AM

• melissadam Said:
I just go through my PPs and sometimes it jumps out...but if you are having a hard time...try buying PP stacks ...they are made to go together...LSS also usually displays PPs that go together.

I agree with this. If you are just starting to do this, buy paper pads that coordinate. Like the MME pads I always buy from HL. They are kind of "sectioned" off in "color families". Try doing that first...using the papers that are grouped together. I think that's how I first started doing it too. But now, I just pretty much just go with what appeals to me. I can just be looking through some papers and pick one, then pick another that I want to go with it, ect...it kind of just "comes to me". I also use color combos....and pick different patterned paper s in each color. Like right now I'm working on a page using black and lime green and then I just picked papers that I liked in those colors. It takes some time and practice, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time!

animemama
Veteran
animemama
In response to Lal

I agree, buying papers in the same line, or in a pack or a stack, is the easiest way to get your papers to coordinate. Another trick when you have papers from different manufacturers is to pick one paper with three or four colors. Then pick papers with one of each of the colors. For example, if you start with a paper with orange, blue, and green, choose an orange paper, a blue paper and a green paper to go with it.
For how to place patterned paper s on a layout, I like to use PageMaps sketches.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to animemama

Hi! I've kind of breezed through most of the posts so I apologize if I repeat myself.

I ALWAYS struggle with this!!! But I've come to find a color wheel really helps. Also, even if the papers don't "match," trying inking the edges of each paper all one color, that way the inking ties all the papers together. Does that make sense???

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I have the Ali Edwards book the others have mentioned. It's very handy!

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to ScrapperSara22

glad to offer some help, stephanie!

good luck tonight! let us know how it goes!!

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE

These are great suggestions! I think we've all struggled with this. One thing I sometimes do is once you have your pp, go off a sketch (pagemaps.com is AWESOME!) that way it helps you see how much pp to use, so you don't feel overwhelmed by too much pp on your LO.
Good Luck! Can't wait to see the results!

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz

Watching other scrappers while hosting or teaching classes or crops I have noticed that people are braver when using the DCWV lines, ( I buy those for the crops and classes, so economical but still good quality and variety!!) Nana's Nursery and Pocket of Poises come to mind as the most popular in the classes that people love to combine, and the Pocket of Poises seems to be the one that they were the bravest with, myself included, the colors are bright and will really give you a taste of mixing patterns, colors, and are really well blended. I agree with others in that once you start there, get a few under your belt, you will start looking at your papers differently, and it will just jump out at you!

We do one night a month of samples on mixing pp's and patterns, and so many others have gotten just as frustrated as you, they were picking the pp, doing what they wanted to it by inking, or tearing, but then not liking the look, but it was too late as they had done it to all. Maybe this would help, I usually suggest just doing a straight mat job your first time, say a border at the top, maybe down the side, then maybe a two layer mat job, don't lay down yet or anything, and don't work your papers, just simple few layered mats - (no tearing, distressing or inking) and see how the different patterns look cut, then work your way up from there to complete your layout.

Another decent tip is to try just using a solid color as your main PP, find that nice neutral (or two) in between your pattern pp's - pull out just one or two colors from each pattern pp I am posting an example for ya, it's a simple pp mix, hope it helps:

In this layout the purple is sort of blended into the background of the floral pp (can barely see it in photo), and the pink plaid is the pink flower in the floral pp, so my choice now is pinks and purples as a nice base, but needed the neutral to go with each color and the pattern pp, that is where the cream came in, not as bright as white and allows you to still blend colors and patterns and just then slowly incorporate little bits of each into each other. Also using a solid color in between mixed patterns helps blend the pp's - note the mixing in of the solid cream and the solid purple. Break up the amount of each too, example:

This one was a two page lo, so on the left the plaid pink pattern and purple kind of took center with the flower pp just being an accent, but on the right the flower pattern pp was main focus, with hints of purple and pink plaid - all the journaling will also be matted in the colors on each page, helps it just flow. Another small tip is try with smaller pages, some of my first pp blends were 5x7 or 8x8, less of a canvas, less intimidating. Sorry to ramble, I just so luv pp and matting - hope this helps!
Baby Girl Page 1 By JaymieLiz
Baby Girl P2 By JaymieLiz

The inking of one color on each is also a fantastic way to bring together pp's - and can be so striking!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• Stephanie_W Said:
I am pulling my hair out! I spent an hour last night trying to MATCH pp to use on a LO. I see tons of LOs in the gallery with multiple pieces of pp on them, they look gorgeous, but every time I try to do it, it looks like a jumbled up mess of chaos!!! I went to bed frustrated over this!! I literally have hundreds and hundreds of pieces of pp in my drawers and for the life of me, I can't use more than one piece of PP and one piece of plain cardstock on a page and it is BORING me!!!!

So, I have decided that there must be a secret to this...and you people who know what it is (you know who you are), need to let the rest of us, at least me, in on this secret.

How do you match pp and how do you use multiple pieces of pp on a LO?

Great question...I have the same problem!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
Hi! I've kind of breezed through most of the posts so I apologize if I repeat myself.

I ALWAYS struggle with this!!! But I've come to find a color wheel really helps. Also, even if the papers don't "match," trying inking the edges of each paper all one color, that way the inking ties all the papers together. Does that make sense???

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I have the Ali Edwards book the others have mentioned. It's very handy!

Great idea with the inking, I've never tried inking all the papers I use to blend it.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper

I love reading all the great suggestions on this thread!! Another thing you might try is using a solid color between the two prints. If you have two blocks of printed paper, try matting them in a solid color to break up the prints.

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 05-13-09 03:29 PM
In response to Babylou

I loooove to make layering of diferent pps but I dont know if there is a secret LOL!!!sometimes is easy sometimes I spend more than 1 hour mixing pps maybe more ,but the easier way to me is buying diferent pps of the same collection because they are made to be mixed.

nuskrappa
Diva
nuskrappa
In response to johnsusan8

• johnsusan8 Said:

susan... this is an awesome idea! i am going to try it.. on my next layout! thank you and thank everyone else too for all their great suggestions. i am having this same problem!

ScrappyChica84
Veteran
ScrappyChica84
In response to Babylou

This may have been said before, but aside from buying the paper stacks, you may also want to purchase paper in collections. Each company always comes out with different lines/ collections and all the patterned paper s (even the solid color cardstock) is a match. You can even purchase the matching embellies. I am sure you have seen the collections before at stores and probably have bought a few items from the collections (i used to). But now I pretty much purchase the entire collection and all my paper and embellies match up.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Babylou

Okay, I just did a quick revisit to your gallery and I've got to say you've really got a good eye for two pp in 1 LO.

Here's my theory based on that: Are you trying to force something here? Are you trying so hard to get a LO done that you're over thinking it and not letting yourself just have fun?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Babylou

hmphs, I have the opposite problem,,,,,i can't use plain paper to save my SOUL,,,,if I don't have 4 different pp's in there, it doesn't look RIGHT to me,,,,

try to compliment the MAJOR or PREDOMINATE colors,,,,

Like a flower paper that is mostly brown with a flowered paper that is mostly blue,,,,,or pink,,,,as those are complimentary colors,,,

I almost want to tell you to IGNORE the pattern,,,,,just try the complimentary colors and see if that helps,,,,,

craftysprinkles
Queen
craftysprinkles
In response to Babylou

I am a huge fan of using multiple pieces of pp. I used to struggle with it as well. What I started to do was just look for one specific color that is similar then throw it all together on a layout for fun. Then I started inking the edges of a lot of it which helps to blend in the pp. You can also take a dry brush and swipe acrylic paint across the sheets to make them similar. I had another suggestion, but my girls are talking to me and it has now slipped my mind. If I remember I will let you know.

alysse
alysse 
Guru
alysse

There are lots of kit clubs out there that do the matching for you. Seeing how things fit this way will teach you how to do it yourself!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Okay, I just did a quick revisit to your gallery and I've got to say you've really got a good eye for two pp in 1 LO.

Here's my theory based on that: Are you trying to force something here? Are you trying so hard to get a LO done that you're over thinking it and not letting yourself just have fun?

Yes, I was over-thinking it, trying too hard to match too many pp I think. I finished my LO last night, added a dull red cardstock accent and I LOVE my page!!! It turned out great (to me)!!! Thanks everybody for your excellent advice! I will definitely refer back to this thread in the future when I start getting frustrated again....which I know I will!!!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

OH, also used SarahScraps suggestion to ink all the edges of all the paper in a similar color, that really helped too. Pulled all the different papers into a matching theme!!!

Thanks sooo very much everyone!!! You have all been soo very helpful!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-14-09 08:38 AM

One trick to mixing patterns is to go with opposites:
small/big
structured/random or repeated/random
straight/curved
diagonal/horizontal or vertical
formal/casual

For example:
If you mix a plaid with a stripe, they might both get a little lost (straight/straight not good). But a plaid or stripe with a polka dot is genius (straight/curved).

If that plaid is really big checks, or on the diagonal like an argyle, then really thin stripes would work well (big/small or diagonal/horizontal).

If the polka dot pattern is laid out in a regular gridded formation, than a random flower pattern would coordinate. But if the polka dots are randomly scattered, then I might go with a repeated scroll pattern. If the polka dots are in a regular grid formation and they're really small, then a big repetitive pattern of any shape would work - say black and white squares.

So you can choose which pair of opposites to play up.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

in addition to buying paper stacks to get matching papers don't over look the papers that come in the thin paperback books and kits (which come in all shapes & sizes).

The key is to determine if you will use enough of the stack/book/kit to make it worthwhile.

I know I used to turn my nose up at what I thought were "beginners" kits until I looked at them closely and found the contents worked for my project. Don't get hung up by the name. I used a Family Heritage kit for vacation pages and wedding kits for vintage pages. Each kit usually has several matching pattern papers so it takes the guesswork out of it.

AND you can really score scrapping kits cheap on sale or on ebay. I have gotton several so cheap I didn't care if I only used some of the contents. The left overs just go into my regular stock.

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 05-14-09 12:31 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Lots of great suggestions here! The only thing I would add is to use the quart/pint/ounce rule. That just means vary the quantity of what you use. It can apply either to color or pattern. Decide which paper you want as the dominant one (I usually go with a neutral or small pattern) and then add others in decreasing quantities. Again, I would use the smallest quantity of the most busy or bright. In my opinion this stops all your papers from "competing" for attention which in turns makes the overall look "flow" better.

Edited by MoniL on 05-14-09 03:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics