Username Post: So last year it was owls...        (Topic#1504453)
ScrapperV
Diva
ScrapperV

So last year the hot thing to have on LOs, cards etc. were owls...this year would be??

mushrooms? birds? butterflies? any thoughts?

naf
naf 
Idol
naf
  • naf on 05-13-09 03:44 PM
In response to ScrapperV

I have seen lots of butterflies!!!!and trees!!!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to ScrapperV

I don't know what it will be but I personally never bought any of the owl/woodland creatures products. I just couldn't see myself making any of that type of stuff work with my pictures without the lo's looking too hokey. Just my personal opinion.

I have seen some really cute lo's using those things but it's just not my style. I really wish some companies would come out with more "teenage boy" type stuff.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to naf

I agree with butterflies but I am surprised at how many mushrooms I have seen!...also a lot of monkeys on cards & LOs...

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to melissadam

I've totally missed the owl thing.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Use what you like. You're the one that's gonna look back on your pages years from now.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23

I think we've been through birds too ..

I see a lot of butterflies and mushrooms too, like a previous poster said. Also little monsters. And zoo animals too.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to peenut_23

I seem to be all about trees right now. I don't know why, but I'm using them on all my cards. I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for either. My sis keeps joking with me about "trees being the "in" thing." She isn't feeling the trees.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Coastie Wife

Hmm, Let's see...

I started with Trees (Jan)

Grass, Leaves, Frogs & Recycling (Mar)

went onto Sunshine & Rainbows, Birds & Forest Animals, (Apr)

After the Rainbows, both Flowers & Mushrooms just seemed like the next natural progression (May)

Right now, I'm kinda just on a Whimsical, InTheClouds, Imagination, Dreamscape type kick.

Who knows what will come from that!...

Honestly, IMHO the possiblities are forever endless!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Not on purpose, but I totally missed out, not only on the owls, but the butterfly & bees, as well!

Maybe next year!

That's why I just like scrapping whatever I feel led to scrap for the moment or entire month!

mariposa326
Diva
mariposa326
In response to KellyCali

I agree with Jill on the little monsters/animals stuff. It seems like they're everywhere! I think most of them are really cute, though!

Ynanayoung
Diva
Ynanayoung
In response to mariposa326

I love butterflies, birds. Everyone is different and use many different things.

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 05-13-09 05:51 PM
In response to Ynanayoung

I'm still using owls...and birds, trees, clouds, mushrooms...not so much the other little animals or monsters. I agree with whoever said..the possiblities are endless and for me, nothing really ever goes "out"

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Lal

Love the birdies and the butterflies...both having been around a little while but they haven't flown away yet. I saw some really cool mushrooms in an Anna Griffin ad and have not been able to find the paper or embellishment or whatever anywhere.

Edited by dollscrap on 05-13-09 05:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 05-13-09 06:50 PM
In response to dollscrap

Yeah, I don't think anything that's been mentioned is really "out". I still love and use owls, birds/chicks, rainbows, clouds, butterflies, robots, and various creatures, woodland or otherwise.

I still think it is all cute and if it's the right thing for a layout, I use it!

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to Ami G

I don't want the owls/birds to be out. I LOVE them. I love the whimsical nature thing I'm seeing a lot of lately...

Edited by StaceyE on 05-13-09 09:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dixiecorngirl
Governor
dixiecorngirl
In response to StaceyE

don't forget the cupcake craze that came and went.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Vivian loves BLING Said:
:( I've totally missed the owl thing.

me too

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to CommaHolly

I'm also stuck on the colors black and red. It's so wierd because I never used red till recently.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to Coastie Wife

i think monkeys seems to be the new trend!

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom
In response to Jordannichole

I'm still loving all of the trends mentioned.

shopgirlaudi
Mayor
shopgirlaudi
In response to JayAndXansMom

I still LOVE owls and the whole cupcake thing was "the craze" just recently. I still love that too. I like the whimsical nature thing too. I am seeing a lot of mushrooms and butterflies though. I like them both:)I like it all;)

ScrapperV
Diva
ScrapperV
In response to dixiecorngirl

• dixiecorngirl Said:

Oh yeah!! I forgot about the cupcakes. I love seeing cupcakes. Of course I love eating cupcakes too.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to ScrapperV

LOL...I guess I'm not "in" because I haven't used this stuff...oh maybe a flower or a butterfly if it matched, but none of the others. I only put embellies on to match my pics and/or LO...if it isn't a woodsy outdoor scene, I wouldn't even think to use an owl. I am sooo out of the loop.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to StarsNSparkles

I am planning a butterfly themed bridal shower for my bridezilla friend at the end of the month, and I have noticed that everywhere I look is butterflies! Butterflies everywhere- in the home decor stores, on clothes, on accessories, and in the sb stores.

sioux70
Expert
sioux70

I was watching a video from CHA winter and they talked about "cherries" being in, maybe it's because Doodlebug has a cute line of them. Maybe the tree thing is because everyone is going "green" these days. I'm going to stay with my classic black/white and bling, cant go wrong there.

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 05-14-09 10:34 AM
In response to ScrapperV

I used a few owls/birds but mostly if I felt they "fit". I guess I missed the cupcake thing because only last week I finally spotted some felt MS cupcake embellies and picked them up. I never really got into the butterfly thing too much either - that's mostly because I have a butterfly phobia and its only been due to dd's love of them that I've included some in my pages. I agree that the zoo animals seem to be coming up big this year, mostly monkeys.

Edited by MoniL on 05-14-09 10:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrappy Nan
Idol
Scrappy Nan

wait....owls were LAST year? i need to catch up! LOL!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Scrappy Nan

I am into GEARS right now.
And it may be out (not sure) but I'm still into ARROWS.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom

• Stephanie_W Said:
LOL...I guess I'm not "in" because I haven't used this stuff...oh maybe a flower or a butterfly if it matched, but none of the others. I only put embellies on to match my pics and/or LO...if it isn't a woodsy outdoor scene, I wouldn't even think to use an owl. I am sooo out of the loop.

You really should get with the program, Stephanie! Geez, go shopping or something and buy yourself some of this stuff!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 05-14-09 11:37 AM
In response to sioux70

• sioux70 Said:
I was watching a video from CHA winter and they talked about "cherries" being in, maybe it's because Doodlebug has a cute line of them. Maybe the tree thing is because everyone is going "green" these days. I'm going to stay with my classic black/white and bling, cant go wrong there.

Yep, I agree that cherries are in. October Afternoon also has a line called "Cherry Hill" that has cherries in it, and the new Cosmo Cricket "Early Bird" collection does, too. And Jenni Bowlin's "Farmer's Wife" and I'm sure there are others, too.

The whole nostalgic, vintage theme is really hot right now. I like it. And I still like my owls.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to JayAndXansMom

• JayAndXansMom Said:
  • Stephanie_W Said:

You really should get with the program, Stephanie! Geez, go shopping or something and buy yourself some of this stuff!

See...everywhere I go, people are telling me to shop...enabling me...forcing me to stay up with the times! LOl...thanks Angie!!!

MHW 
Veteran
  • MHW on 05-14-09 12:38 PM
In response to dixiecorngirl

• dixiecorngirl Said:

Yeah that trend hit kids' clothing pretty hard too!

MHW 
Veteran
  • MHW on 05-14-09 12:40 PM
In response to sioux70

• sioux70 Said:
I was watching a video from CHA winter and they talked about "cherries" being in, maybe it's because Doodlebug has a cute line of them.

Ok, it sounds like the Gymboree clothing store has all the trends down. They've done owls, cherries, and cupcakes in the past year. I haven't looked to see what's in the stores now because there is no such thing as window-shopping at Gymboree for me.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MHW

Fruit in general seems to be very big right now, not just cherries, but pears, apples, berries ... I think it's all part of the nature/trees/going green trend.

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to madmatter

I've been seeing the safari\zoo animal paper, sticker and chipboard. I think these would make great LOs for preschoolers. Think I'll try some of the goodies I picked up for my reward after meeting my April goal.

Edited by mollydog on 05-14-09 08:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chcknwoman
Idol
chcknwoman

Trees and limbs seem to be really huge!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to chcknwoman

As my dad used to say, I'm always a day late and a dollar short anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me. I gravitate toward butterflies, but I won't give much notice whether they're "in" or not. If I like it, I buy it - but it can be the latest and greatest, and if I don't care for it, it won't find its way onto my table.

Edited by dwelch on 05-15-09 10:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JayAndXansMom
Queen
JayAndXansMom

• Stephanie_W Said:
  • JayAndXansMom Said:
  • Stephanie_W Said:

See...everywhere I go, people are telling me to shop...enabling me...forcing me to stay up with the times! LOl...thanks Angie!!!

I couldn't help it! I know how much you HATE to shop!!

JennAboo
Expert
JennAboo
In response to MoniL

• MoniL Said:
I used a few owls/birds but mostly if I felt they "fit". I guess I missed the cupcake thing because only last week I finally spotted some felt MS cupcake embellies and picked them up. I never really got into the butterfly thing too much either - that's mostly because I have a butterfly phobia and its only been due to dd's love of them that I've included some in my pages. I agree that the zoo animals seem to be coming up big this year, mostly monkeys.

I haven't been scrapping long enough to get into the trends yet. But if it is anything like the clothing style trends I am normally behind on that too. lol. However if monkeys are going to be considered "the in thing" I guess I will actually be trending this yr. My 1 yr old is my lil monkey, so I try to find them when ever I can. So I am very excited to see more coming out.

cantdeletesothis
Guru
cantdeletesothis

I am so grateful for all the different types of supplies that are out there. When I first started scrapping a long time ago everything was very plain and country'ish. Now, you can find your own style. I personally like using whimsical and brightly colored things. But I have many friends on here who use the more muted tones with different embellies than I would use. But I am always so inspired by them. They force me to think out of My box.
*One thing though, I do agree they need more boy stuff that isn't for a baby.

heyywhatssupp
Tenant
heyywhatssupp
In response to cantdeletesothis

Cupcakes for sure! I just got a stamp set from PaperTrey Ink, its the cutest cupcake set I've ever seen. Also Im loving the safari animals, esp, the baby ones, they are so sweet.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to heyywhatssupp

Kids storybook items! Graphic 45 has some awesome children themed papers. Anything vintage/retro/grungy...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to TheCharmedOne

For now & in lieu of Summer, still spotting lots of touches of suns & fruits.

Yes, cupcakes too (with a cherry on top, of course!)

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to KellyCali

I hope more fruits come out. I have been looking for fruits since last summer. I have strawberry picking photos, lemonade making and apple picking to scrap and have had a heck of a time finding those things without it being too girly!

I have been seeing butterflies since January even in gummi candy. Lots of bright colors and shaped paper. This industry is like the fashion industry, I think what we see in the clothing stores is what will probably see in the LSS!

Croppers Ball
Resident
Croppers Ball
In response to JennAboo

It took a while for the owls to fly with me...(get it? LOL) anyway, now I love them. Gears are fun for my lil boy, but the robots always look so silly to me.
Often, from the time I buy the "IN", and actually use it, it's no longer "In". Like my Reminisce Monkeys, for my "Jumpin on the bed" LO that I still havent done :P

deigh_z33
Expert
deigh_z33
In response to Croppers Ball

That's the great thing about scrapping, there are no rules! So even if something you like isn't "in", nothing says you can't still use it!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to deigh_z33

I must be a year behind because the owls are just starting to catch my eye. I love the birds but have a hard time figuring out where to use them. Maybe by next year...... ;^)

Croppers Ball
Resident
Croppers Ball
In response to olleharr

I first picked up some glittery birds by Martha Stewart. I think I used them up on 4 LO's in one weekend! Loved the colours!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 07-09-09 04:15 PM
In response to ScrapperV

I think chunky glitter and butterfly's.
Butterfly's seem so 2006 though.

Right now I'm heavily into flowers but I'm more likley to use the butterfly's because there are more available in the kits I use and I like butterfly's. I really like butterfly's.

Chantal Miller
Pro
Chantal Miller
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
I hope more fruits come out. I have been looking for fruits since last summer. I have strawberry picking photos, lemonade making and apple picking to scrap and have had a heck of a time finding those things without it being too girly!

I have been seeing butterflies since January even in gummi candy. Lots of bright colors and shaped paper. This industry is like the fashion industry, I think what we see in the clothing stores is what will probably see in the LSS!

Jill, check out Doodlebugs latest. Some nice fruity stuff there.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to Shutterbugg

• Shutterbugg Said:
I don't know what it will be but I personally never bought any of the owl/woodland creatures products. I just couldn't see myself making any of that type of stuff work with my pictures without the lo's looking too hokey. Just my personal opinion.

I have seen some really cute lo's using those things but it's just not my style. I really wish some companies would come out with more "teenage boy" type stuff.

i don't own one owal!
i just started to make some cards... and even so.... what wil i do with a damm owal on my lo?

what kind of stuff do you mean when you say "teeng boy"?

dcwv has it's all about boys- but i guess that it's too child-like for a teengeboy...

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to peenut_23

• peenut_23 Said:
I think we've been through birds too ..

I see a lot of butterflies and mushrooms too, like a previous poster said. Also little monsters. And zoo animals too.

oh!! the monsters are really big! i've seen them alot...

monstores and robots!!

boysmom
Idol
boysmom
In response to Kitty_wOlf

I thought the owls were just new this year. I've been eying the QK die but haven't bought it yet. Now, I learn I'll be out of date when I get it. I've been into butterflies lately because I got a new die. Although I've had a wonderful butterfly stamp forever, so I've always used some. I think I'm into what I have, although I do agree that fruits are popular this season.
Products Referenced in This Post:

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to boysmom

I've been diggin' the owls for some time, but am just now getting around to shopping for them. There are so many fads and they usually always grow on me, though it may take a little while. I'm still building my arsenal of supplies and tools and love all the fads previously mentioned so you'll be seeing my layouts using all kinds of stuff....whether it's "in or out"!
If it still makes me happy, that's the important point. Just today I bought owls, robots & butterflies.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to kygirlnfla

I am still into Butterflies, spellbinders has such pretty dies I can't help it.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
As my dad used to say, I'm always a day late and a dollar short anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter much to me. I gravitate toward butterflies, but I won't give much notice whether they're "in" or not. If I like it, I buy it - but it can be the latest and greatest, and if I don't care for it, it won't find its way onto my table.

Me too!

I've loved the owl/critter craze since it first came out, just haven't figured out how to incorporate it into LO's of my dog!

I've noticed a lot of zoo and fruit stuff as well. Since the rounds are making the animal kingdom, when are fish going to be the "it" thing???

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics