Page 3 of 525 
Username Post: Flappers *Closed*        (Topic#1505035)
swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to RockStar

That's right, Tracey. There is nothing wrong with the way you told that story.

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to swonders

Henri this is inspiring me to get organized. I think I will show your pictures to my DD and see if she will get me organized like this. My scraproom/office is a wreck right now.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 08:32 AM
In response to RockStar

Love all the new avatar pics!! I promise I'll try to get mine on in a day or two.

Mmm, meatballs. I think I pretty much only make swedish meatballs (turkey), with saffron gravy. DH tells me they taste just like he remembers from his childhood with a Swedish grandmother

Bonnie, your weekend looks fantastic!!

Amy, loving the DSi so far, spent a couple hours last night playing Zelda Phantom Hourglass, I may not get much reading done from this point forward. Going to Best Buy today to get some more games.

I don't understand the point of the friends feature here ... but I've never had many friends anyway, I've always been a bit of a loner.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to Piratefan21

• Piratefan21 Said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a "picky" husband!

Have a great day Ames, we'll miss you!

I don't usually tell long stories, but this is one about the phone ringing in the middle of the night.

About 14 yrs ago, my husbands brother had terminal cancer, so we were always expecting a dreaded phone call. Well, one time at about 3 AM the phone rang. Someone had left the cordless phone downstairs, so my dh jumped up and ran down to the kitchen to get the phone, thinking it was about his brother. He jumped the last three steps and landed hard on the tile floor. I heard the thump and then a yell of pain. He hobbled to the phone and the person on the other end said, "Is the doctor in for brain surgery?". DH muttered, "You must have the wrong number." Then he hobbled back upstairs. Well, it turns out he had broken his ankle! All because of a wrong number!
Now you know why I don't tell stories. I'm very bad at it!

Ouch - your poor DH.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to swonders

Aww, thanks ladies. It just takes me a while to warm up to people, but you guys are all great!

BTW - Raquel, I read what your dh said about talking to the Taliban. Tell him I'm o.k. I'm just a harmless little Lutheran!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 08:35 AM
In response to stick

Office looks great Henri!

LOL at all the poor husband stories, I'm enjoying every one

Macaroni and cheese paper .... yummmm..... my healthy brunch of raw veggies with a little cheese and cracker is just not cutting it right now.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to stick

I used to feel sooooo guilty when I got friended and didn't want to friend back! I was so dumb. I got friended by a name I didn't even recognize so out of curiousity I went to that person's profile and was shocked to see that she'b been on about 2 weeks and already had 800 friends!!

That's when I got merciless in my friend pickiness. I can't believe I actually fell for that!

Henri - so what room did you wallpaper in pizza, and which one got the macaroni and cheese wallpaper? LOL!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to RockStar

Here is my scrap space - it has changed a little, but the LO of furniture is still the same. I have acquired more dies, so underneath the window I have two shelves and they are loaded with dies and other misc. stuff:

My Scrap Space
By Sbartist

I would take photos now, but it is such a mess, don't know if I could even stand anywhere to take photos.

When I am home either on the computer or scrapping, this is where I be.

Edited by sbartist on 05-21-09 08:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to RockStar

Henri - You're room looks great. So organized.

Does anybody else here like to look at the scraprooms in the gallery? Some of them are amazing!

Well, I have to finish the bathroom then eat lunch.

BBL!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

Henri - thats a lot of paper. Gee you could sell it and make a profit!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to sbartist

I love to look at everybody's gorgeous scrap rooms, but I actually don't want one myself!

We're in a condo now so I have a scrap corner in my dining room and the d/r table is my work space. I like it because I can't ever overbuy, I don't have the storage space. Since it's the d/r I'm forced to keep it nice and neat and clean. And I enjoy scrapping and still being near the action, with dh and dd in the l/r, we can all watch tv and talk while I scrap since I have an open floor plan.

Dh said when dd moves out someday I could have that room but I said no, I don't want it. I'll take the closet space for extra storage sure, but I know I wouldn't want to be off by myself scrapping.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RockStar

Too funny - I hadn't thought about papering the walls with all that stuff, but I could! If I wanted to, I have enough!

Tracey - thank you for sharing your story! Your poor husband! I can't believe they asked if the brain surgeon was in. Your husband would have probably liked to have done brain surgery on that caller!

Thanks for the nice comments about my office. I keep it organized because it is such a small room. I gets messy really fast but I don't go to bed at night unless everything is put away.

Really helps me having the files so I can just get the next file to scrap. The back file is printed out funny storys and journaling and things that can go anywhere - kind of "fillers".

Well husband just went outside to dig up monkey grass around a tree trunk he is going to remove or grind. He wants me to come right now and decide where I want the monkey grass and if I don't do it he will pick a place - I know him and I probably won't like it so I'd better go pick the place.

Back in 5-10 minutes.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 08:45 AM
In response to sbartist

Bonnie, great space! How often do you actually see it that neat?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Bonnie - your room is very organized and I like the splash of color! The red kind of gives it some personality.

I did not want a scrap room - used a table in the kitchen, dining room and an area in the living room and the computer was in the office.

I finally got sick of being so spread out. My husband is always in here and when my son is here he sits on the floor and plays games on his iPhone and visits with my husband.

Now I feel like reunited with the family! Everything is contained in here and this is where we spend all our time.

I had visions of being in a scrap room all by myself and I did not want that.

This has worked out well because Bill and I are each doing what we want to do, but we are in the same room so we can talk to each other. I show him my pages, he reads his emails and computer research stuff to me.

And sometimes when my son is here we all 3 stop and play Wurdle on our iPhones. It works for us.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to stick

I just made myself a low-fat cappucino flavored coffee - it's crunch time now, just days til dd's party then hawaii so I'm really on my diet game. I was craving something sweet and this is just hitting the spot.

I'll be getting off to get some errands done - finally went through my zappos.com com shoe delivery now I have to take my returns to UPS. What's wrong with me?!? That box came YESTERDAY and I ignored it until this morning! lol...bbl!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

Good morning/afternoon everyone! You all are keeping rather busy. I am enjoying all the stories and I'm glad everyone is opening up with them. I'm having a hard time getting used to all the new pictures of avatars but I love them. Now I just have to figure out a name to a face instead of a dog or quilt! Well lasts nights game went awesome. We had a blast as usual. We won 18-4. I was hitting awesome but kept hitting straight to people so of my 4 hits I got out 3 times. Oh well. They were hits in the outfield which is better than my bounce hits to the pitcher. Then after the game a couple of us went to the best local pizza place in town... mooses' tooth. They have every type of pizza you can imagine. Blackened Halibut or avalanche which is bbq sauce with blackened chicken, pepperoni and bacon... which are my favorites. Now i'm making myself want some pizza...haha! So I stayed out way too late then woke up in the middle of the nght with a horrible nightmare. A mass murderer was at my house and he walked around killing people with an ax/machete. No one could catch him but he was like jason in halloween where he never ran just walked every where he went. I was in the house with my brother and the murderer was outside. He then saw us and made his way inside. I had already called the cops but he was threatening us before the cops got there. I threw a thick glass at him but missed which made him mad. He didn't take revenge on me for that. Then I woke up. So needless to say I'm really tired. Enough ranting for me... I'm around today though!

Edited by bwinkler on 05-21-09 09:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RockStar

New Shoes! What fun!

And its almost time for Hawaii! Are you on the "countdown" yet? I start counting down about 2 weeks before a trip.

I will try to post more Hawaii layouts before you go to get you in the mood!

I'm eating Keebler Vienna Fingers - definitely not good for a diet!

Oh, wanted to tell you - I told my husband yesterday, "I am so glad you are such a good tipper. In fact you don't have to tip me at all, I do your laundry because I love you. But when you leave me a tip, that is awesome. Thank you."

He said, "What tip - what are you talking about?"

I said, the hundred dollar bill you left in your pants pocket for me when I did the laundry. That is a most generous tip and I really need some scrapbook stuff. I love you sweetheart!"

What could the poor man say? I bet he checks his pockets now before he puts them in the laundry.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Henri Jean Said:
New Shoes! What fun!

And its almost time for Hawaii! Are you on the "countdown" yet? I start counting down about 2 weeks before a trip.

I will try to post more Hawaii layouts before you go to get you in the mood!

I'm eating Keebler Vienna Fingers - definitely not good for a diet!

Oh, wanted to tell you - I told my husband yesterday, "I am so glad you are such a good tipper. In fact you don't have to tip me at all, I do your laundry because I love you. But when you leave me a tip, that is awesome. Thank you."

He said, "What tip - what are you talking about?"

I said, the hundred dollar bill you left in your pants pocket for me when I did the laundry. That is a most generous tip and I really need some scrapbook stuff. I love you sweetheart!"

What could the poor man say? I bet he checks his pockets now before he puts them in the laundry.

Thats awesome... so what are you going to do with the tip?

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
Bonnie, great space! How often do you actually see it that neat?

Hardly ever! I think these photos were taken right after I redid the space.

My DH and DS visit with me often while I scrap.

Edited by sbartist on 05-21-09 09:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

• Henri Jean Said:

SCORE!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Bethany - are you sure you weren't really at Ames house watching that 3D horror flick?

That is a bad dream! I hate dreams like that. It sounds like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Only with an ax!

Mooses' Tooth pizza! That is a wild name for a pizza place! Sounds like they have some wild pizzas too. Maybe that has something to do with your nightmare!

I'm glad you had fun at your ball game and contratulations on your team win! You were hitting well, the ball just wasn't going where it was supposed to! I'd never hit it so I'm very proud of you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

I went shopping last night and spent $70.00 on cardstock. Now I have a great selection! I've really been going through it (and that was for 50 cents a sheet at JoAnns).

Also had a photo copy made of a Johnny Rockets On The Sea menu made for my scrapbook and had a few pictures developed. Now I can do my Valentine's Day layout. I kept putting it off because I couldn't make up my mind how I wanted it to look.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 09:16 AM

Eeek, Bethany, how horrible! Okay, no more talk of scary movies around here

But hurray for a great game, well done!!

And Henri - great score!! What are you going to get?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Tracy - you made me laugh - just a harmless little Lutheran?

I'm just a harmless little Baptist. Okay, Southern Baptist.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Henri Jean Said:
Bethany - are you sure you weren't really at Ames house watching that 3D horror flick?

That is a bad dream! I hate dreams like that. It sounds like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Only with an ax!

Mooses' Tooth pizza! That is a wild name for a pizza place! Sounds like they have some wild pizzas too. Maybe that has something to do with your nightmare!

I'm glad you had fun at your ball game and contratulations on your team win! You were hitting well, the ball just wasn't going where it was supposed to! I'd never hit it so I'm very proud of you!

here is Mooses tooth website http://www.moosestooth.net/index2.htm. They have their menu posted if you are interested in what they have. It's on place I recommend to anyone who visits. They also have bears tooth which is a restaurant but has a movie theater connected. In the theater you order your food then go sit down. There are tables in front of all seats. When your food is ready the staff brings it to you and you eat while watching a movie. The best part is the movies are only $3 per person.

Edited by bwinkler on 05-21-09 09:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We went to a restaurant called "Bravo" with Jeff and Natalie and then another day to Kelly O'Neil's Pub with them. Their pictures are on the left, we are on the right top and bottom.

Hawaii and Good Friends
By Henri Jean

Two pictures of Hawaii with Diamond Head in the backgrond.

Diamond Head
By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We used to have a place in Buckhead (suburb of Atlanta) called Buckhead Cinema and Drafthouse which was a theater with tables and you ordered food and watched a movie.

It was cheap too but the movies were not first run - usually from the year before but that never mattered.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Look at the menu - some very strange pizzas, but interesting. I'd be game to try some.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to bwinkler

Wow, B, 18-4. Sounds like a great game (for your team)! What position do you play in the field? That pizza place sounds amazing, too! Do they deliver?

Kara - Where's your picture? (You did say to reminde you!)

Henri - That's a lot of cardstock! I love it when I find money in pockets while doing laundry!

Bonnie - Love your scrap space, very organized!

I have a room on the third floor of our house. It's my sewing/scrap room. I call it my "Happy Room". My older ds's bedroom is up there and now that he's home for the summer I feel like I'm invading his privacy if I go up there. It seems like our family (including the cat) spend most the time in the smallest room of our house. It's a 9x11 room that we use as an office/homeschool room. We'll be done with homeschool in a few weeks and ds is going to high school next year, so I think I will scrap in that room while older ds is home.

Raquel - How could you go a whole day without opening a package? Especially shoes!

Ds and I are going to play squash now (gym class), so BBL.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Piratefan21 Said:
Wow, B, 18-4. Sounds like a great game (for your team)! What position do you play in the field? That pizza place sounds amazing, too! Do they deliver?

Kara - Where's your picture? (You did say to reminde you!)

Henri - That's a lot of cardstock! I love it when I find money in pockets while doing laundry!

Bonnie - Love your scrap space, very organized!

I have a room on the third floor of our house. It's my sewing/scrap room. I call it my "Happy Room". My older ds's bedroom is up there and now that he's home for the summer I feel like I'm invading his privacy if I go up there. It seems like our family (including the cat) spend most the time in the smallest room of our house. It's a 9x11 room that we use as an office/homeschool room. We'll be done with homeschool in a few weeks and ds is going to high school next year, so I think I will scrap in that room while older ds is home.

Raquel - How could you go a whole day without opening a package? Especially shoes!

Ds and I are going to play squash now (gym class), so BBL.

I play second base. I'm much better at it than third. I'm kind of scared of the ball if it's a grounder and third gets 95% of those hit to them. So I moved from third to second last year. While playing third the first two years, I missed the ball once per season and was hit with a line drive on the inside of my ankle bone on both legs. First season was the left leg and the second was the right. This is our fifth season. I still have discoloration in those areas and if you touch it just right it sends shooting pains through my ankle. SO painful. I'm pretty sure that I broke (hairline fracture) them both but didn't bother to go to the doctor. So now I love second base. Plus you get more base play at second than you do third. Okay.. I'm sorry for boring those that don't like softball or baseball!!!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to bwinkler

So I was thinking about our trip and Hawaii. I can get to Hawaii cheaper than I can get to seattle. It's 2 half hours longer flight to get to Hawaii too! I vote for Hawaii!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bwinkler

I was leaning towards San Francisco but I'm always good for a trip to Hawaii. I love Hawaii!

I'm sorry you still have pains where you get hit by the ball. I'm bad about going to the doctor too! When you go to see him because you are feeling yuckky maybe you can mention those pains to him!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

It's odd how everyone gravitates towards the smallest room in the house.

That's our computer/scrap room now. I guess small rooms are just cozy.

I love it because if Bill has a bag of potato chips and walks away and leaves it, along with the dip, it's not in the living room if someone comes in. I can close this room off if I have to.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Henri Jean Said:
I was leaning towards San Francisco but I'm always good for a trip to Hawaii. I love Hawaii!

I'm sorry you still have pains where you get hit by the ball. I'm bad about going to the doctor too! When you go to see him because you are feeling yuckky maybe you can mention those pains to him!

I'll pass on the doctor thing... Actually I'm feeling much better today and was good yesterday. We'll see how it goes. The injuries are so old that they wouldn't do anything about them. I'm not worried about it since it doesn't bother me unless i'm physically grabbed around the ankle.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Henri Jean Said:

Oh, I could do San Fransico too!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

Bethany - congrats on your team win. You know, your DH should be there taking photos of you and your team so you have something to scrapbook!

I support my DH's BB habit by taking photos and scrapping them. He is involved in the actual fantasy camps - minor league Rainier's which he is doing again this July and the major league Mariner's when he head to AZ in January. This past January he went the the A's/M's combined camp for a week and had a blast. He usually pitches and I was quite surprised at how well he did.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 10:07 AM
In response to bwinkler

Pizza looks good! We have a great place here called Orgasmica, really interesting and tasty combinations. No movie house like that, though ... although I usually prefer my own living room for that anyway.

Tracey, when I get on tonight I will post at least something for my avatar pic. I may change it later but I'll get something up, I promise.

Raquel, yeah, what IS wrong with you? I wear new shoes around the house the second I get them home - even if I'm in pyjamas and they're stilettos! Are you getting excited?

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to sbartist

• sbartist Said:
Bethany - congrats on your team win. You know, your DH should be there taking photos of you and your team so you have something to scrapbook!

I support my DH's BB habit by taking photos and scrapping them. He is involved in the actual fantasy camps - minor league Rainier's which he is doing again this July and the major league Mariner's when he head to AZ in January. This past January he went the the A's/M's combined camp for a week and had a blast. He usually pitches and I was quite surprised at how well he did.

I keep thinking that too about the dh and photos. He doesn't take pictures though. I have plenty from seasons past that I need to scrap just have't gotten to that part of the journey. I'm not going in order and seem to be just doing what I have pictures printed at the moment!

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

Here is the before and after, DH came up with the rhyming journaling:

Pitcher's Rap By Sbartist

Here are the pros from the Rainier's camp last July:

Rainiers Adult Baseball Camp By Sbartist

Mariners Fantasy Camp 2009 Champs By Sbartist

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to sbartist

Gotta run as I have a "RUSH", nothing like waiting until the last minute.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to sbartist

Bonnie you do such good work. I really like your baseball lo's.

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to bwinkler

Bethany, I used to play softball when I was younger. I loved it.

I just got back from lunch. I checked on my daughter when I was home, and had to make a call to her doctor. She is running a temp of 102.5. She had her tonsils/adenoids removed last October (mind you she is an adult) and continues to have repeated sore throats. She is frustrated and sick of being sick. I can't blame her. She's been back to the doctor 3 times since her surgery for sore throats. Anybody got any other ideas? I'd sure welcome them.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to swonders

• swonders Said:

I just got back from lunch. I checked on my daughter when I was home, and had to make a call to her doctor. She is running a temp of 102.5. She had her tonsils/adenoids removed last October (mind you she is an adult) and continues to have repeated sore throats. She is frustrated and sick of being sick. I can't blame her. She's been back to the doctor 3 times since her surgery for sore throats. Anybody got any other ideas? I'd sure welcome them.

Did she have chronic tonsillitis before she had them removed? Is she getting white spots on the sides of the throat again since then or just redness and pain?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to sbartist

Back in our day dh and I both caught - so B you've got plenty of interest in your ball playing!

That pizza place sounds like so much fun - Henri, I've been to that place in Buckhead, but I've spent alot of time in Atlanta over the years (Delta's hub).

I am ready for Hawaii NOW!! I guess the shoes sat there because I've been somewhat distracted with the party preparations for next week and continueing dd drama plus new sil drama. My life!?!?!?!

Tracey, I'm SO accustomed to dh's paranoia and suspiciousness that I just laugh. And he laughs when I go lalalalala and walk into buildings, so we're made for eachother.

So here's what I've been also distracted by: I retired at 50 years of age recently because I hadn't been well the last 2 years and knew I'd not be able to do the physical aspects of my job much longer. But my treatments have been working and I'm feeling better so I was thinking of going back to work. So I pulled out my resume and gave it a rough update. I need to get a cover letter together and update my references as well but I'd like to start applying for positions around July 1st.

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky? I have some schooling in healthcare from the last time we got laid off, I just don't have the experience. The last time I donated blood I grilled the woman who was assigned to me and she was really helpful and gave me tons of info about her job. I just went on the website, and not only are they hiring, but they provide salaried and paid training! I think that's great for me because it's been 5 years so my certifications have expired and I really don't want to go pay for it again. I think I'm going to go for it.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

Ooh, sounds bad - I have no idea why she'd still be in pain!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

Raquel that job opportunity sounds awesome. I love drawing blood on people. Sounds so horrible I know. It's a challenge to get a needle in peoples veins, which is why I think I enjoy it so much. I also thought Ames job is pretty sweet. Good luck to you and I hope you get it. I just found another job position for a surgery clinic. I'm going to send in my resume tomorrow as I don't have my thumb drive with my resume and cover letters on it with me. I hope I can at least get a phone call. I have applied for 5 jobs so far and have not gotten a call for one. Frustrating.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to bwinkler

You will B! You will!

Yea, I'm feeling pretty positive about it - I think 50 is too young for me to retire! I was just SO sick. I'm not sorry I retired, I know I couldn't do it anymore. But I want to do something, I know that.

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to bwinkler

• bwinkler Said:
  • swonders Said:

Did she have chronic tonsillitis before she had them removed? Is she getting white spots on the sides of the throat again since then or just redness and pain?

Well it would depend on what you mean by chronic. It came on fast whatever caused it and would not go away. The doctor described them as being hard and like chipping away at wood when he took them out. Yes, her throat is red, swollen and white all over it. She's going to have a strep test, but why does it continue to frustrate her?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to swonders

I had mine out as an adult and I didn't have on-going problems like that Shelly...I'd be concerned too.

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to RockStar

I am the type of person that always trusts my health care provider (doctors). But, now I am wanting answers. She has been a healthy kid her entire life. No issues what so ever, not even ear infections.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to swonders

Shelly, as you know I'm mom's caregiver, together with the nightmare I've just been through in getting a correct diagnosis for my own problems, I cannot stress enough the need for us to be our own health advocates today.

I researched the Internet about everything I was told, went in for my appointments with my notes in hand, and started insisting for the first time in our lives that dh accompany me to the doctors because I felt that I needed not only an advocate but a witness!! And for dh to come with me to the doctor's that's saying something - I mean he came with me for 1 appointment while I was pg!

How about seeking a 2nd opinion with another ENT?

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to swonders

Thats really interesting that she is still getting sick like that. Chronic meaning she gets it over and over again. I'm sorry she keeps getting sick. There must be an underlying problem that the doctor isn't looking at or doesn't know. I'm not saying its serious. I havent' a clue what that could be though.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to bwinkler

It's dog walking time - I'll be back on a little later ladies

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to RockStar

Raquel, you are right about questioning them. I am learning to me more assertive. Going to an ENT is absolutely my next step. It was an ENT that did her surgery. It's not that I can't take charge, I just have to get good and mad first, and hate it when someone drives me to that point.

B- an underlying problem is my biggest concern. She shouldn't keep having problems being an otherwise healthy young adult.

Thanks ladies for letting me vent. It does help.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to swonders

Thats what we're here for!!! A girl can always use a friend to vent to!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

Bonnie - I just left a lot of love in your gallery on these 3 layouts. They are awesome.

I really enjoy everything you scrap - you really have such an eye for color and placement and detail. But you set them up very interesting. Your lettering is always very good too!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Michelle, that is awful that her sore throat keeps coming back. You would think it would have been taken care of when she had her tonsils out!

Most people rarely get sore throats once the tonsils are gone.

I know nothing about medicine or illnesses - I don't know how I made it through as a parent of small children - and boys at that. They had to doctor their own boo-boos from when they were very young bcause they learned that I passed out at the sight of blood.

By the time they were teenagers they did all their own "doctoring" because I couldn't handle it.

Bill also cleans his wounds and washes his cuts and scrapes before he will let me see them because he knows I can't take it, I get very pale and faint when I see someone hurt.

When I was about 40 I cut my finger and required 13 stitches. I didn't look at it all morning, my ex-husband put paper towels on it and kept it away from my line of vision.

When I got to the emergency room they thought I was going to faint when I saw it and made me lay down. Then they put up a screen and put my hand on the side where the doctor was so I couldn't see him doing the stitches.

They bandaged me up and told my husband not to let me see it because I might get hurt when I fainted - to put my hand behind my back when he changed the bandage and cleaned it every day.

I never saw my Frankenstein finger and I'm glad! I saw it when it was healed!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Henri Jean Said:
Michelle, that is awful that her sore throat keeps coming back. You would think it would have been taken care of when she had her tonsils out!

Most people rarely get sore throats once the tonsils are gone.

I know nothing about medicine or illnesses - I don't know how I made it through as a parent of small children - and boys at that. They had to doctor their own boo-boos from when they were very young bcause they learned that I passed out at the sight of blood.

By the time they were teenagers they did all their own "doctoring" because I couldn't handle it.

Bill also cleans his wounds and washes his cuts and scrapes before he will let me see them because he knows I can't take it, I get very pale and faint when I see someone hurt.

When I was about 40 I cut my finger and required 13 stitches. I didn't look at it all morning, my ex-husband put paper towels on it and kept it away from my line of vision.

When I got to the emergency room they thought I was going to faint when I saw it and made me lay down. Then they put up a screen and put my hand on the side where the doctor was so I couldn't see him doing the stitches.

They bandaged me up and told my husband not to let me see it because I might get hurt when I fainted - to put my hand behind my back when he changed the bandage and cleaned it every day.

I never saw my Frankenstein finger and I'm glad! I saw it when it was healed!

I have seen people get nauseas and lightheaded from other peoples massive blood, broken bones, etc. But I havent' seen people get sick from their own injuries. You are one of a kind aren't you!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 12:16 PM
In response to bwinkler

Michelle - No need to get mad (yet) but assertive, definitely. Sometimes even a really minor problem can linger like that until you get to the right doctor who has the right set of knowledge. There's so much research out there, and so many possible problems/causes/solutions , and so many specialists, that you really have to plug away at it until you get the answers. Has she been going to her PMD for these sore throats? I would absolutely recommend (if not insist) that she go back to the surgeon or get a referral for another ENT.

I work in healthcare administration and it's confusing enough for me. I can't imagine how non-healthcare people make it through this crazy system we have.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I like to think that we are ALL one of a kind!

Raquel - keep us posted on the job search. Sounds like a great opportunity may be staring you in the eye!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 12:25 PM

• Henri Jean Said:
I like to think that we are ALL one of a kind!

Sometimes I think I'm three or four .....

Raquel and Bethany both - good luck!! It's tough right now but I have faith in you!

Edited by kuzatab on 05-21-09 12:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to stick

Michelle - I agree with the others - definitely insist on answers from the drs. If she has chronic problems then they need to find out why and not just keep treating the symptoms.

Bonnie - It's been my experience that lawyers always wait until the last minute!

Raquel and Bethany - Hope your job searches go well. We live in an area with a high concentration of hospitals/drs. offices so you both would probably have no problem finding jobs here!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

• Piratefan21 Said:
Michelle - I agree with the others - definitely insist on answers from the drs. If she has chronic problems then they need to find out why and not just keep treating the symptoms.

Bonnie - It's been my experience that lawyers always wait until the last minute!

Raquel and Bethany - Hope your job searches go well. We live in an area with a high concentration of hospitals/drs. offices so you both would probably have no problem finding jobs here!

My husband would love it if we moved to pittsburgh!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bwinkler

Quiet this afternoon so I thought I would post a few more Hawaii layouts.

The entrance to the Navy Base, the USS Arizona Memorial from the Navy Base and a shot of some of the battleships lined up on Battleship Row. There were 19 ships that day between battleships, destroyers, nuclear ships, frigates, and other huge gray ships.

There are signs everywhere that say no photography and they will take your camera away! I would't post this information anywhere else - it's not in my gallery (the layout is in my gallery, but not this next sentence)but Bill went to the person on the security post and said, "My fiance' really wants a picture of the ships and the signs everywhere say no photography. She is not in any way a threat to national security or to anything else, she just wants a picture for her scrapbook and to show her girlfriends.

He looked around carefully and said, "None of the ships have anything exposed right now that would be a threat, nothing is being loaded or unloaded that we don't want photographed. Right now is it very benign and nothing is exposed that we don't want photographed. It still says, "No photography" and I have to tell you that, but I'm the only one on duty, I have a break if 5 minutes and I will be gone for 10 minutes. Use that information however you like. I hope she gets some good pictures, just don't be overly obvious.

Peal Harbor, Hawaii
By Henri Jean

The USS Arizona was sunk and because of the position it was impossible to remove the bodies of our brave heroes and so they are buried beneath the water in the ship.

Elvis Presley loved Hawaii and made many movies in Hawaii. At one time he was flying low over Pearl Harbor and asked what the ship was that was under the water and was told that it was the sunken USS Arizona. He wanted to know where they memorial was, why was there no memorial.

When he was told there was not one he personally took it upon himself to make sure that a memorial was elected. He gave a benefit concert to start the USS Arizona Memorial fund which then received money from government and other private sources.

These pictures were taken from Pearl Harbor Navy Base.

Remember the USS Arizona
By Henri Jean

The partially sunken Utah is a sobering look at the beginning of WWII. The wreckage is a burial place to some of the crew members because they were not able to remove them all. Unfortunately, the USS Utah is difficult to get to and off the beaten tourist track so not many people see or even know about the USS Utah.

The USS Missouri is a magnificant ship and the signing place of the treaty that ended WWII.

The USS Utah and the USS Missouri
By Henri Jean

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to bwinkler

• bwinkler Said:
My husband would love it if we moved to pittsburgh!

Me too!

Great new lo Henri! Left some love in your gallery.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I may need it once I actually start the job search after we get back. I want to have it all ready to go so on Jul 1 I just hit 'send'.

Henri, Pearl Harbor will be our very first destination once we are settled in HNL. I am so looking forward to this trip - it's a total cluster: 25th wedding anniversary, I turned 50, I retired (instead of dh but that's another story), dd graduating college is a HUGE one.

This coming week with her graduation we enter the next phase of our lives, where it's just the two of us. She'll be making life changing decisions herself and we've decided to let her make them. Our job is done. We'll always be here for her, but it's time for that little bird to fly the nest and learn how not to crash.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 01:25 PM

Luv me some Elvis! I didn't know he initiated that memorial, how cool.

I'm having one of those days where my brain is in a fog and I can't quite figure out how to do stuff properly.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

Tracey - I remember reading in your bio that you're a huge Pirate fan (no jokes here) and that you're a fan of Roberto Clemente. I remember when and how he died vividly. How interesting that you have fanship for him.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I may need it once I actually start the job search after we get back. I want to have it all ready to go so on Jul 1 I just hit 'send'.

Henri, Pearl Harbor will be our very first destination once we are settled in HNL. I am so looking forward to this trip - it's a total cluster: 25th wedding anniversary, I turned 50, I retired (instead of dh but that's another story), dd graduating college is a HUGE one.

This coming week with her graduation we enter the next phase of our lives, where it's just the two of us. She'll be making life changing decisions herself and we've decided to let her make them. Our job is done. We'll always be here for her, but it's time for that little bird to fly the nest and learn how not to crash.

How old are your girls? I'm assuming dd is graduating from High School, or am I wrong?

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to stick

Amazing Home Remedies:

Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop.

Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by using the sink.

For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a timer.

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives; then you'll be afraid to cough.

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD -40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to sbartist

• sbartist Said:
Amazing Home Remedies:

Avoid cutting yourself when slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop.

For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a timer.

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives; then you'll be afraid to cough.

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD -40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

These are great! Nice to have a laugh.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

How lucky you were able to get those shots off Henri. Maybe we'll get lucky - we have a friend who's son is stationed on a sub there who's going to give us a tour of it when we arrive - maybe he can make something like that happen as well, where we can get a few 'prohibited' photos...we'll see. If not, I'll be happy with the postcards and the memory.

My fil was in the pacific during WWII, navy man, and he's a huge story teller, so I'd love to get as many photos as possible to scrap.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to sbartist

• sbartist Said:
Amazing Home Remedies:

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

I miss ames... stop working so hard!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

Bonnie, those are hysterical!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

Bethany, my daughters are 29 and 23, so we REALLY done!!

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Tracey - I remember reading in your bio that you're a huge Pirate fan (no jokes here) and that you're a fan of Roberto Clemente. I remember when and how he died vividly. How interesting that you have fanship for him.

Yes, the number 21 in my name is his number. I was 12 when he died on New Years Eve and I was devastated! Oh, that's right, he's from Puerto Rico like you! I've heard that he's a national hero there.

It will be so great to see all of that history at Pearl Harbor. Ds and I watched some documentaries about Pearl Harbor and the stories from the men were amazing!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

I go on these kicks - I love american history - where I'll read everything I can get my hands on about a particular topic until there's nothing left. Well I read some fascinating biographies about certain parts of WWII - one was a book called "In Harms Way" which was about the USS Indianapolis. Another I believe was called "Angels of Corregidor" or something like that, about the nurses that were left behind on that island in the Phillipines and spent the entire war there under Japanese occupation and their lives after that experience.

I really want to find a good bio about Doolittle's Raiders, so I guess I'm not done quite yet.

swonders
Diva
swonders
In response to RockStar

Bonnie love the home remedies!

Henri- more absolutely beautiful pages.

Update on DD- Dr is treating her for strep. She gave DD an antibiotic, but did not do the strep test. WHY NOT? I am definitely going to ask that she see the ENT dr that did her surgery.

Also, a year and a half ago she had a terrible abcess in her upper mouth. It went clear up under her eye on the right side of her nose. She did have some bone deterioration. Could this all be related?? She's had trouble ever since that abcess.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to swonders

Shelly, when you get to that ENT, I would be very vocal about that possibility - sometimes I've found that I had to be very vocal to get their attention. My specialists sometimes went into a little mental loop in their own little minds and just weren't 'hearing' me.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to RockStar

Michelle - That sounds really scary to me!

Kara - If you like Elvis, you should check out the June Lyrics Challenge. She hasn't posted it yet, but it will be Elvis songs. It's a very laid back challenge - only one lo and no voting or prizes.

Well, it's that time of day when people in my house get hungry for some reason.

BBL

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to swonders

• swonders Said:
Bonnie love the home remedies!

Henri- more absolutely beautiful pages.

Update on DD- Dr is treating her for strep. She gave DD an antibiotic, but did not do the strep test. WHY NOT? I am definitely going to ask that she see the ENT dr that did her surgery.

Also, a year and a half ago she had a terrible abcess in her upper mouth. It went clear up under her eye on the right side of her nose. She did have some bone deterioration. Could this all be related?? She's had trouble ever since that abcess.

I dont' think the abcess would have deteriorated any bone but it could have caused alot of scar tissue. Which could potentially cause problems thats not a reason why she would keep getting sick. Doctors, I have noticed, tend to treat for strep without actually testing for strep. There are particular signs and symptoms which are a dead giveaway which is why they just give you the antibiotics. I would see the ent though instead of the primary dr.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm glad you will get on the base Raquel. If you see a big old city bus on Hickam in the recreational storage area - it's Bill's - along with the white pickup truck next to it.

The bus is unmistakeable because it is a full-sized city bus the "The Bus" on the side - which is what all the city buses have on them. He bought it at a city auction.

When you go on base be sure to have ID. You may not need it, usually they just check the ID of the driver. However, every 2 or 3 days there is a sign that says 100% ID check. When that is up, they check military IDs for those people and driver's license for everyone else.

If you don't have military ID on 100% ID check time periods (which are random) you have to take your driver's license to a little guard house place and they check your ID and give you a temporary ID.

Three times we took friends on base and they were not military and did not have ID and it was 100% check so all three times they had to get out of the car and get a temporary ID with their driver's licenses.

The base is awesome. Hickam and Pearl Harbor join together and Hickam is supposed to be the most beautiful AFB in the world and Pearl Harbor the most beautiful Navy base. Even the Marine base is awesome - it is on the prettiest beach! Please have them take you to Bellows.

If you stay on the bases, I prefer the Navy base. Let me know and I'll give you the pros and cons of each of the bases.

When we went to Hickam I took a picture of the entrance sign, the one the public sees from the public side of the sign.

There were military police everywhere trying to take my camera and Bill told them no. They made us pull over and more police came and wanted my police and Bill kept asking for someone higher up.

Finally someone very high up came over and Bill told them his fiance was taking a picture of the sign from the public side and not taking pictures of anything secret. There is nothing secret there.

He told them we refused to turn over the camera.

This person just said, "So what is the big deal? It's just a sign and a guard's gate. I don' know what the problem is. She can take all the pictures she wants from here."

Anyway, you can take a picture there, (and I'll show you the picture I got when I post that layout), but some of the military guards are a little over-eager and don't really think very well. It was really very stupid.

Inside the base - that is a different story. Signs are posted at the places where you cannot take pictures.

However, you can take pictures of almost everything, the only restrictions are battleship row and anywhere they are working on something sensitive.

Like where the submarines are - you can look but you can't take pictures.

Honeymoon Beach is awesome - it is a very small beach on Hickam AFB. Every day we saw at least one sub come in becasue it is at the mouth of Pearl Harbor and you can take all the pictures you want there.

That is right next to reef runway, shared by the Honolulu airport and the military facilities so you see military and commercial planes taking off together - you don't know what will be next.

Honeymoon beach is so close to the runway that it is only divided by a fence and Bill always waves to the pilots and they wave back. It's that close.

Please make sure you see Punchbowl. That is the veterans cemetary and the entire story of WWII is in mosiacs on the walls. It's awesome. Very sobering.

You will probably go to the International marketplace. Several of the vendors there sell license plates. Some have tourist stuff on them like "Hawaii" and "Book 'Em Danno" and "Waikiki" - obviously very made up.

However, for any of the ones with real license plates, they buy them from Bill.

There is also a vendor on Waikiki right across from the Duke statue. That's Randy's place. If you go there, tell Randy hi from Bill and Henri. He will know us.

There is a tourist place called Tours 4 Less - i think that is the name in Waikiki. Jack and Bernadette own that and it is a great place to rent scooters and get tours. If you go there, tell them Hi from Bill and me. We had dinner in their home 3 or 4 times when we were the in April and went out to dinner with them twice.

If you go to the big flea market at the stadium there is a place that sells all signs. In addition to signs, they sell license plates. That is Jeff and Natalie and they buy all their plates from Bill. They will know Bill and Henri too. We went out to dinner with them twice in April. (They are the ones in the layout I posted earlier today.)

On the main street in Waikiki there is a place called 88 tees. It is a t-shirt place. It has an open doorway and then stairs going straight up. that is one of Bill's customers and they sell a ton of his license plates. Last time they bought 25 boxes and he had to lug them all up the stairs. I thought that would kill him. His knees hurt for days after that.

When you see the steps, and you see them just walking down the street, the steps are covered with license plates that Bill brought them which are not for sale.

Some of these little places are already calling Bill to see when we will be back because they are running low on license plates again. Bill sells thousands of them when he is there.

Looks like we will go early or mid September and then from there take the cruise to Tahiti and then Australia. That is the plan now.

Bill is a little less intrested in that job every day where we would have to move for 2-4 years. He is saying now that it would be too disruptive to our lives.

Edited by Henri Jean on 05-21-09 02:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tazmaster
Guru
tazmaster

We're back at the chalet after doing lots and lots of walking in NYC. DH said he really preferred his first trip to NYC. That was about 15 years ago and we didn't stop at all, just drove through on the interstate.

I've been taking pictures of MM asleep in the car and this afternoon, I got a picture of him in his car seat asleep and his teenage cousin asleep in the captains seat right next to him. Both heads are turned the same way and angled. I can't wait to scrap these pictures.

Tracey, you are cracking me up GF with your stories. Keep telling them.

Bonnie, I have got to get to your album. I had already seen your scraproom when I was looking at scrapping sites for ideas. I love the color and the pictures. I'm going to be lifting ideas from you for LOs and for my scrap shop. Bonnie, I love your new picture too. "You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD -40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape." This one is actually a very valid rule.

Michelle, get her to another Dr. and demand blood work if they haven't done any lately. No way she should still be having the same problem. I love your picture and you look a whole lot better than the dog.

Raquel, I quit working at 56 basically because I was going to have to change contract companies to keep doing training. DH told me it was time to come home. I thought OH boy, now to get to all those things I'd been wanting to do. Well I stopped working in Dec. 2007 and my DM's health took a turn for the worse in April of 2008. She couldn't be left on her own and she lived with my DB whose not married. Older DSis wouldn't help(she only lived 35 miles from DM), younger DB lived in GA and worked, my younger DSis had fallen and burst vertebrae in her back and was put to bed for months. My older DB has major health issues himself, so I started travelling 155 mile one way and staying for 3 or 4 days every week. I continued that up until this past February when she passed away. I'm not interested in a job of any kind, but if you want one go for it. You'll be able to do whatever you want to do. I'm still not believing that you took so long to open those shoes.

Henri, love the way you have your scrap area setup. Boy that closet is so handy to your scrapping area and still close to Bill. Love your organized plan of action. I hope that I can get my stuff that organized when I get my shop up and going. My tips for laundry are never that good and usually I'm tipping myself. DH keeps up with his money way too well.

B, great job on the ball game last night. Very interesting combinations on the pizzas. Some sound really good to me and other not so good. Sure hope you can get a job soon. I know exactly why you had those nightmares, it was all the talk of horror movies and axe murderers. However, it's not a great way to be wakened.

Ames, did you have to go back to work? My DH falls asleep as soon as he sits down on the sofa after dinner. He doesn't deny it either. However, his older brother could be snoring on the sofa with a football game on the TV. If you woke him up, he could tell you the score, so he could hear in his sleep.

Kara, we're holding you to the picture. Kara, sometimes I think I'm 3 or 4 people too.

I need to start thinking about what this crew is eating for dinner. I'll be back.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to tazmaster

Bonnie - I forgot to tell you - I love your list! It's great! I need to print it out and put it somewhere.

Shirley - can't wait to see what you scrap!

I have everything I need to scrap valentine's Day today - just haven't gotten to it.

Also, I ordered 14 die cuts. I need to call and follow up on those.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to tazmaster

I hear ya Taz - I've been juggling the balls for so many years job/house/kids/marriage/c aregive for mom that I guess I don't know how to be still. Dh just told me as a matter of fact to go take my 'ants in your pants' pills, LOL!

I figure I did it before: worked full time and was still there for mom and that was WITH kids and house and marriage. This time around it'll be without the kids, and I WILL have a regular housekeeper if I go back full-time, plus my house is much simpler to run since we downsized.

I'll give it a shot - if my mother's condition worsens I'll deal with that. If I find I can't handle it, I'll quit - won't be the first time LOL!! I'd ultimately like to work another five years, until I'm 56 or so. Get another little pension check to supplement. Keep the body moving and the brain in learning mode too.

Will you miss me?!? Lol!

Henri - I'm going to mark this page so I can come back to it and take copious notes. We're staying at a Marriott in Waikiki - we're not military so we can't stay on base. We're just lucky we know this kid who can get us in.

Dishes, ugh - bbl.

Edited by flightobl on 05-21-09 02:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
I hear ya Taz - I've been juggling the balls for so many years job/house/kids/marriage/c aregive for mom that I guess I don't know how to be still. Dh just told me as a matter of fact to go take my 'ants in your pants' pills, LOL!

I figure I did it before: worked full time and was still there for mom and that was WITH kids and house and marriage. This time around it'll be without the kids, and I WILL have a regular housekeeper if I go back full-time, plus my house is much simpler to run since we downsized.

I'll give it a shot - if my mother's condition worsens I'll deal with that. If I find I can't handle it, I'll quit - won't be the first time LOL!! I'd ultimately like to work another five years, until I'm 56 or so. Get another little pension check to supplement. Keep the body moving and the brain in learning mode too.

Will you miss me?!? Lol!

Henri - I'm going to mark this page so I can come back to it and take copious notes. We're staying at a Marriott in Waikiki - we're not military so we can't stay on base. We're just lucky we know this kid who can get us in.

Dishes, ugh - bbl.

Sounds like you need to copy henry's lengthy tid bits and paste them into word or something and print it off. Then you won't have to strain your hand!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

Ok, dishwasher's running...Henri, thank you for all the information. I've jotted down the names of all these places and all your friends in my notebook I'm taking with me (hope I don't forget it!!). The Tours4Less places sounds like something we'll hit first since we don't plan on renting a car while in Honolulu. We'd rather relax and do the tours.

I'm so glad we'll be spending 4 days there before even getting on the ship! That should be plenty of time to see everything we should see for a first time right? I'm very good with making the absolute most of my time.

When all you've got is 24 hours to see a city, follow a flight attendant, LOL!!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RockStar

THANK YOU Bethany, LOL! I still tend to do things the old fashioned way...you're funny!

Ok, I'm going to rest my hand and organize what I want to do this evening. BBL.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to RockStar

Leaving work and going to go walk with a friend, then help DS with his Godzilla and moths. Hope to BBL.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-21-09 03:23 PM
In response to sbartist

And I'm going to M's with a coupon ... I'm hoping they have the paper trimmer I want. If not, then I'll get another stack of Colorbox ink pads.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

Raquel - be sure to put on your to do list - it's an important one!

Every night around 5:30 or 6:00 at King's Village in Waikiki is the changing of the guards.

They used to have guards who guarded the palace and then when they no longer had a king the moved the guards to King's village and they put on an exhibition every night. It is very much worth seeing and it is free. In fact I saw it twice and will see it again because it is awesome.

This is supposed to be the best drill team in the world! They lower the Hawaiian flag at King's Village and do a drill routine that is awesome! It really takes my breath away - some of the stuff they do.

There is a world-wide drill competition every year and they won first place so many times that they are not even allowed to compete anymore. Now they can only go as an exhibition team because if they compete no ones else has a chance.

Please do not miss this fantastic Hawaiian drill team.

The place where you will be standing - there is a restaurant right next to it called Rock Island Cafe. It is owned by a couple - his name is Gene and I forgot her name. They have all nostalgic of tv stuff - I Love Lucy stuff.

On one wall is part of a 57 Chevy with a jacket thrown over it and it looks like a scene out of Grease of one of those old films.

The whole thing is Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis - that kind of thing.

In the back is a soda fountain - decent shakes and sundaes. Bill likes the pizza and they have burgers and things. The juke box plays the entire time - the waitresses are dressed like car hops from Grease and every time the song, "Greased Lightening" plays the waitresses all stop what they are doing and get on stage and sing and dance to it.

We always go there a few times.

Parking around King's Village is awful. Absolutely horrible so go very early to get a parking place. Usually Bill drops me off and walks a good bit.

You may want to check to see what time the drill team performs - you really don't want to miss it. At the end one of the people with the team will take your camera and take your picture with the drill team.

The first time they let us hold the rifles but the picture came out very blurry.

The next time we didn't get to hold the rifles. But they all posed with us.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

• Henri Jean Said:

• Quote:

I think she was actually in my head b/c my dream was eerily similar lol.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to AmyWho

Hmmm...I was only trying to quote 1 part. Obviously it didn't work.

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler

Henri you make hawaii sounds more and more amazing everytime you say that we need to see this or that!

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to bwinkler

Ames that is really creapy!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bwinkler

Just before Bill and I got back together we were talking on the phone and Bill had to run becasue he got a quick job with one of the airlines. I've forgotten which one. It was a strike situation and he was in charge of safety for the employees and had to take a team with him to Hawaii.

He worked there for 6 months and - the airline put him up in the penthouse of the Mariott for 6 months.

They put him in a closet-sized room the first night and then told him he could have the penthouse the next night with all the bedrooms and 2 or 3 bathrooms and the living room and view of all Waikiki. They let him have it the full 6 months. Since he was in charge of the project, he got the penthouse all to himself. The rest of the men they usually put 4 to a room.

(They are 12 hours shifts usually and with 2 beds, they have 2 men sleeping days and then at night the other 2 men get the room. Or, sometimes there will just be 2 to a room, but head guy always gets his own room.)

A couple years earlier he house sat for a friend in Waikiki up in the mountains overlooking everything and was there 6 months that time too.

Usually he goes once or twice a year and stays 2 or 3 week, maybe a month each time.

Now we are on a twice a year schedule.

Edited by Henri Jean on 05-21-09 03:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to bwinkler

Parking shouldn't be a problem at all for us Henri - we have no intention of renting a car while we're there!

...taking copious notes...I know I know LOL!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to RockStar

Hi girls!

Yeah, it was creepy B. I read that and even said out loud to myself, "OMG how weird!"

bwinkler
Mayor
bwinkler
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:
Parking shouldn't be a problem at all for us Henri - we have no intention of renting a car while we're there!

...taking copious notes...I know I know LOL!

I hope you don't get carpal tunnel!

Page 3 of 525 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics