Username Post: Which Die Cutting Machine???        (Topic#1507149)
New Kid On the Block

I don't have any type of die cutting machine, but I would like to get one.
I don't have a ton of money to spend on it, but I don't want to have to spend tons of money on cartridges or dies, either.

Is a manual or an electronic machine better?
Is there one that is best?

I do have a computer that I could hook up to an electronic one, as well as internet.
Also, is it doable to just have lots of punches? If you have a die cutting machine, do you need many punches? All I have right now are an oval, a 1 1/2" square, a tiny swirl, a little star, and a corner rounder.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to bootgirl

I have a TON of sizzix stuff (started SBing when that was pretty much the only machine)- been buying it for many years. I would say I EASILY have THOUSANDS of $$ tied up in it! (shhhh.... don't tell DH- he has NO clue!)

If I were to start over, I'd save up my pennies and get a computer based cutter (most likely a wishblade since I'm a Mac Girl) because it will cut anything off your computer. You do need to be a bit computer savvy I think to use them tho.

The only disadvantages I've heard on the computer based- they don't cut chipboard (or much other than paper and thin vinyl) and you have to have the computer and power to use them.

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to Seaexplore

I currently have the older version of the Wishblade and LOVE it. I had to purchase additional software, Funtime, to get my old one to work with Vista - the new wishblades do work with Vista already - but I really love the funtime software, extremely user friendly and easy to use.

I am saving to get the Pazzles inspiration. Its cutting width is 12in versus only 8 with the wishblade and silhouette. It does cut thin chipboard and metal, fabric, paper, felt, and you can make your own acrylic stamps as well as you can emboss with it as well. It is about $100 or so more than the other machines but I figure the versatility it worth the extra $$. I was considering the silhouette SD since it doesn't require a computer and it does cut some fabric (I think) and thin chipboard, but you have to have the images/titles you want to cut exactly the way you want them when you put them on the card (no modifying on the road) which doesn't work for me...

HTH

hdsue
hdsue 
Guru
hdsue
  • hdsue on 06-11-09 03:42 PM
In response to nancyhyland

im loving my electric bigshot use that more than my cricut seems

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to hdsue

I really believe the electronic ones save you money in the long run.

Jesseka
Expert
Jesseka
In response to bootgirl

In short, I would definately recommend one that hooks up to a computer, You will have more options and you can usually buy a cd with multiple images for 20-30 dollars instead of spending $40+ on a set of alphabet cartridges.

It may cost more upfront but IMO its a better investment.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Jesseka

I am a cricut person because I wanted to be able to take it to weekend crops and around my house.
I could go on and on about how much I like it but, I think first you might want to ask yourself some questions.

For instance..
Are you a scrapper on the go? Do you have a lot of space? Are you wanting to have the freedom of cutting your own creations or do you just want a variety of pre-designed cut outs?

One of the things I wish the cricut had is welding. I can buy the computer version but, it doesn't work for my needs.
Just some food for thought while yo contemplate this rather large investment.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to jaxxan

I have the (original) Silhouette and LOVE it. I got mine for under $200 too. The place I got it doesn't sell that one anymore, but they have the Sil SD for $230.

Kat Sprouse
Tenant
Kat Sprouse
In response to bootgirl

I've got the SIZZIX Big-Kick and I love it. Dies from several product lines work with the SIZZIX, so there is a lot of flexability. It is very easy to use and it is also fairly portable. I take it with me to "scrapping" get togethers, and others use it for their projects as well. Additionally, the new StampinUp exclusive dies are AWESOME.

Kimberly29
Veteran
Kimberly29
In response to Kat Sprouse

I have the Pazzles machine also and I really love it. I also jsut got the Sizzix big Shot and that's becoming another of my favorite tools to play with.

scrappinpeach
Expert
scrappinpeach
In response to Kimberly29

I love my cricut expression
it's portable or you can hook it up to the computer.12x12 is an amazing feature for borders and scalloped backgrounds
you have to consider what kind of scrapper you are

Lydgranger
Resident
Lydgranger
In response to bootgirl

Depends how much you want to spend-I would go w/ the Cricut Expressions w/ the Design Studio if you have a computer-between the internet and the sales at JoAnn's and M etc. you can get some good deals. JoAnn's has the original Cricut on sale this week for $129-I'm not sure what comes w/ it. I use my Expressions alot and not just for scapping.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to Lydgranger

I have a Pazzles and I have had absolutely no buyers remorse! My machine has saved me so much money. I buy mostly paper now-no stickers, cartridges, etc. Its worth it to try to buy a bundle on one of the home shopping sites, because sometimes you can break the payments up and you'll get extra stuff.

Sunshine81
Resident
Sunshine81
In response to patchouli2000

I started off with the Cuttlebug. You can use other dies from other machines in it. The dies are usually on sell at the main craft stores with coupons. I have several different kinds of dies that I use with my Cuttlebug and I like it because if I need something small but not to small I can cut it out with the die providing I have the cut. You can do folders where it rises the paper up I think it's called embossing the paper. Looks really nice when you add the extra touch. That's what I started with.

vetmom
vetmom 
Veteran
vetmom
In response to Sunshine81

I love my cricut expression. I got it on e-bay for about $200 and I also buy my cartridges on there as well. I started with a basic shapes cartridge and a couple of basic fonts and this saved me money in the long run. Then you can just expand your cartridges to specifically what your interested in over time. I pretty much use it on just about every layout.

jgassa
jgassa 
Guru
jgassa
In response to vetmom

I have a wishblade "pink" , all accesories and software that I am SELLING if anyones interested. I am not as competer literate as I need to be to use all it's features. I need a simpler machine.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297
In response to jgassa

I've got the original cricut and love it. M's has it on sale this week for $99. I don't own but about 6 cartridges for it, but I make sure I buy versatile ones with lots of font options.

DaughteroftheKing
Expert
DaughteroftheKing
In response to scoot297

I just ordered the Slice. For being one that was electronic (not something YOU crank a die through), it was a good price. I've not used it yet since I am still waiting for it to arrive. A friend of mine has it and loves it.

I had a sizzix sidekick for several years and used it less than I thought I would. I got bored an annoyed digging for each die that I wanted to use, loading the paper and mats, and rolling it through the press. And then, you know, REPEAT for every. single. letter.

The slice still just cuts one letter at a time, but some cards contain general phrases (big girl, thanks, happy, etc), and it is battery/electric operated so you don't manually cut out the letters.

Another plus for me with choosing the slice was its size. It is small enough that I can take it with me when I go to a crop.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to DaughteroftheKing

It all depends on what you want to do and if you are going to need the machine for crops outside of your home.

I have the original Sizzix and the sidekick. I like them both, I especially like the sidekick to take to crops.

I have the personal Cricut and three jukeboxes for the cartridges. I like using it at home sometimes, but not all the time.

WELUVSTANGS
Tenant
WELUVSTANGS
In response to dotfree

I have the baby bug (Cricut) and a Cuttlebug, and rarely use either. I am still tempted to purchase the new BigShot though!

KrickleScraps
Diva
KrickleScraps
In response to WELUVSTANGS

I have the smaller Cricut...If I had it to do over again I would purchase the Cricut Expression. I just love the one I have though. I also purchased Sure Cuts A Lot(SCAL) and I think it's going to be well worth the money. I believe I won't have to purchase as many cartridges for fonts because you can download free fonts and dingbats from the provided links on the SCAL website. Wally World has the Expression for under $300. I'm saving up for this one because it cuts 12x12 instead of just 6x12..my money is on the Cricut..

Edited by cwilliams1961 on 07-29-09 12:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

2manyhobbies?!
Expert
2manyhobbies?!
In response to bootgirl

I started out with the original cricut (baby bug) - upgraded last year to an expression. I use one or the other on almost EVERY layout.

I have the design studio software (DS) and that has extended the cartridges I own by far - I can weld words and titles and shapes using the software. It does have it's own quirks though which are annoying to me as a computer programmer. Anyhow in addition to the design studio software, you can buy another "third party" software called Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) that will cut any TTF font, and you can use a free program called inkscape to create your own files to use with SCAL and cut pretty much anything you want. I have not purchased SCAL yet because doing so voids your warrant according to provocraft. However my warranty on my new machine is fast running out and I think rather than spend 30-40 on new cartridges I'll buy SCAL and learn how to use it. I'll still use Design Studio (provocrafts software) and even my cart and machine as stand alone. It's pretty easy to find cartridges for 30-40 I never ever have to buy one at full price between online retailers and ebay and the occassional sale at big box stores.

For me I almost always did most of my scrapping at scrap nights. Now that I have my own scraproom, but also 2 kiddos under 4 - I tend to scrap at home more than I used to. I do mostly layouts and cards, but also a variety of other crafts (like vinyl for my walls, cut outs for stencils for painting the list goes on!)

You can cut chipboard with your cricut - it's easier on the expression with it's multicut function, you can also do it on the smaller machines if you have the design studio software(original bug and the new cricut create machine).

To me it's worth every penny I spent on both machines - to count up how much I would have spent on stickers, or chipboard accents and other embellishments, it was worth it to be able to design my own elements using paper co-ordinating to my layout, or chipboard from my cereal boxes (hey I'm recycling right?). I would have preferred to sell my baby cricut but with the advent of the new cricut create on the market I just can't part with it for what I think it's worth so rather than sell it to a stranger for a few bucks I think I'll give it to my best friend as a gift - I know she'd appreciate it (she's a Teacher).

I got my expression at walmart during the black friday sale last year - 199 with 2 cartridges, one full one and a solutions one.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to 2manyhobbies?!

I don't have an electronic machine but have used the cricut. I liked what could be done with it but I have some many die cuts and alphabets (stickers) that I can't justufy buying (right now any way!) The cricut experssion cuts the smaller letters like 1/2 inch which I would want. Has anyone used the cricut create which is the smaller size machine and has many of the advantages of the expression.................. Let me know about the cricut create.......thanks

kellimichelli
Tenant
kellimichelli
In response to wilbur

I am also going to purchase a die cut machine here very soon and I'm WAY excited! I have decided that I want the Pazzles Creative Inspirations machine, and would like some input from seasoned veterans in this department about some things I've researched before I buy.

1) Can I use it with my Mac? I know that it says XP or Vista only, but I'm hoping to find someone who runs the windows operating system on their Mac that can tell me definitively that it works

2) Have any of you had problems such as the mat losing its stickiness? What about the program being too difficult to learn? Or the knife cutting too far down into the mat and ruining it?

These are all things that I've read comments about online, but they aren't seasoned veterans like you guys are...and I trust you to give more accurate feedback than people who might not have experience with them

Thanks so much!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to kellimichelli

• kellimichelli Said:
I am also going to purchase a die cut machine here very soon and I'm WAY excited! I have decided that I want the Pazzles Creative Inspirations machine, and would like some input from seasoned veterans in this department about some things I've researched before I buy.

1) Can I use it with my Mac? I know that it says XP or Vista only, but I'm hoping to find someone who runs the windows operating system on their Mac that can tell me definitively that it works

2) Have any of you had problems such as the mat losing its stickiness? What about the program being too difficult to learn? Or the knife cutting too far down into the mat and ruining it?

These are all things that I've read comments about online, but they aren't seasoned veterans like you guys are...and I trust you to give more accurate feedback than people who might not have experience with them

Thanks so much!

I don't plan to ever install any windows anything on my Mac (hate, detest, windows anything!) so I plan to eventually get a wishblade. Have you looked at this machine?

kellimichelli
Tenant
kellimichelli

No I haven't actually...I think I will! Do you know the general things about it...like, whether it cuts 12 X 12...how much...does it engrave and emboss?

I know...I've been really resisting installing anything windows at all! But, I'm still waiting for technology to catch up and everyone make their programs for macs too

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to kellimichelli

• kellimichelli Said:
No I haven't actually...I think I will! Do you know the general things about it...like, whether it cuts 12 X 12...how much...does it engrave and emboss?

I know...I've been really resisting installing anything windows at all! But, I'm still waiting for technology to catch up and everyone make their programs for macs too

I don't know specifics- it's made by xyron (and it's supposed to be the same as the craftrobo)- so the xyron home page might be the place to start- check out the wishblade forum on here too!

msatterf
Pro
msatterf

I have the older Quickutz Silhouette and I love it. I have a laptop so I am able to take it to crops fairly easily. I love everything about it with the exception that it does not cut 12x12 paper. Most of the time that is not necessary.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to msatterf

I have the QK Silhouette, Revolution, and Squeeze. I initially only wanted the Silhouette, but wound up getting the others because they were on sale for a ridiculous price at my LSS. I really think computer based machines are the best deal... no cartridges, which can be a very significant expense. I only have two fonts for my Revolution, and I paid $200 for one and $100 for the other. The only downsides to the computer based machines are that they are not as portable and they do have a learning curve (that I am still not over yet!). I use the Silhouette and Revolution a lot, but I hardly ever use the Squeeze. I don't buy very many "picture" dies and the fonts for it are really tiny.

As far as buying dies, I've found you need to be very disciplined or you will spend serious $$$! There are tons of cute dies out there, but I limit myself only to basic shapes and fonts that I know I will use over and over again. On top of that, I only buy them if it's something that I can't find (or don't want to spend time searching for) on the computer.

Hope that helps... just my 2 cents!

Tenant
In response to WELUVSTANGS

What is the Wishblade?

I have the original Silhouette but don't use it as much as I thought I would. I don't know if it's me or if it's the machine, but I'm somewhat disappointed in how it cuts. And shortly after I got it, we got a Mac.

Whichever machine you choose, look on E-Bay. I got my Silhouette there and was told by the owner of a local scrapbook supply store that I only paid $5 more than cost for it.

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to rebeccarichards

I own the Cricut Expression, MM Slice, and the Cuttlebug. I love each and every one them.

THe Expression is great for titles, large images, and cutting out multiple copies. I love how quick and easy it is to use. I also have the Design Studio and SCAL along with 38 cartridges. I love the versatility of using fonts from the computer and images from the cartridges. With design studio you can even change the images around from the carts. Really this is an awesome tool.

I hesitated about getting the slice, but what I love about it is I don't have to drag everything out for just one image or cut. It actually has replaced most of my punches as well. It takes up little space and has great cartridges. All coordinating with MM products.

The Cuttlebug is great to use for embossing and die cutting. I use it with cuttlebug folders as well as fiskars embossing templates. I also have a variety of dies because they all work in the machine. I have the cuttlebug dies, spellbinders dies, quickutz dies, and a few sizzix dies as well. Also really easy to do something quick with.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to rebeccarichards

• rebeccarichards Said:
What is the Wishblade?

I have the original Silhouette but don't use it as much as I thought I would. I don't know if it's me or if it's the machine, but I'm somewhat disappointed in how it cuts. And shortly after I got it, we got a Mac.

Whichever machine you choose, look on E-Bay. I got my Silhouette there and was told by the owner of a local scrapbook supply store that I only paid $5 more than cost for it.

the Wishblade is basically (not the exact same) as the silhouette. If you don't use it/like it then I'd say to stay away from the Wishblade. It does work on a Mac (which I have) as opposed to the other computer linked cutters which only run on PC's

BethanyKartchner
Resident
BethanyKartchner

The Scrap Review (www.thescrapreview.com) reviewed a few die cut machines if you are interested.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics