Username Post: which punches should I buy?        (Topic#1521201)
Tenant

I have been wanting a 2 inch square punch for a long time and for some reason haven't bought one yet.

Now I have become obsessed with the scallop punches!

So now I am wondering which punches to buy and if the 2 inch square punch layers well with the 2 1/4 inch scalloped square punch???? Also should I go with the EK Success punches or a different brand?

Expert
In response to Nat Scraps

I love the Fiskars punches because they are easy to use, not sure on the selection they offer though, but when I last had to buy a punch I made sure to get Fiskars.

kariyava
Guru
kariyava
In response to HuskerMom98

I would go with the scalloped punch. To me, regular squares are so easy to make using a trimmer that they don't justify buying a punch. You should look at the Marvy Uchida punches. I have a large scalloped circle and love it.

Edited by kariyava on 11-24-09 07:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• Nat Scraps Said:
I have been wanting a 2 inch square punch for a long time and for some reason haven't bought one yet.

Now I have become obsessed with the scallop punches!

So now I am wondering which punches to buy and if the 2 inch square punch layers well with the 2 1/4 inch scalloped square punch???? Also should I go with the EK Success punches or a different brand?

If you are really going to start buying up punches, you may want to consider a different route. I have a Cuttlebug machine and use Spellbinders nestabilities in them. You get several different sizes of the same die and they coordinate with their other dies. It ends up being cheaper and you get more shapes that you can't find in punch form.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 11-24-09 02:12 PM

I have the marvy punches that one of the other posters mentioned. I have the circles. 2 of them I am having problems with. One will only cut part of the circle and the other I think something inside it must have broken. When u turn it over and push the lever down you can see that one side of the circle doesnt come all the way down, there is a gap about an 1/8 of an inch. I'm really disappointed as I havent had them all that long.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 11-24-09 02:16 PM
In response to Here Kitty

I'm thinking this is a really good idea.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Hev

Here Kitty has the right idea!! I got into punches and after a year I counted up the money I spent on them. $150. ANd I only had 10 punches!! I realized that Spellbinders were the way to go. I get a set at HL for 40% off and they're about $15 a set - that includes 5-6 sizes. Way more economical and saves so much space. And like Kitty said, you can get so many more shapes! I love the labels.

Scrapper Gwen
Veteran
Scrapper Gwen
In response to tinacome

I feel the same way about big square punches- squares are fairly easy to make with a paper trimmer. As far as other shapes go, I like both EK Success and Fiskars punches.

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to Scrapper Gwen

Hmm - the Cuttlebug and spellbinders thing sounds like a good idea. How do you save money though, buying all those spellbinders plates??

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 11-27-09 07:14 PM
In response to tinacome

Unfortunately the closest HL to me is like 4 hours away. And no one around here sells them. I'll have to order them online.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Hev

Spellbinders gives you 5-7 sizes for about 20 dollars. I love the Marvy for the simplicity of them. You can whip those shapes out in a 10th of the time it takes to use the die machine. They are however, much more cost effective than the punches.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

I like the Fiskars punches because you can see exactly where you are punching. It's great when working with patterned paper. They are easy to layer with, too, as each design comes in 3 sizes. They are really easy to use, too. I hear that they are great for arthritic hands.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to shelwriter

• shelwriter Said:
Hmm - the Cuttlebug and spellbinders thing sounds like a good idea. How do you save money though, buying all those spellbinders plates??

When you buy a set of Spellbinders, you get several sizes per set. For example, In my circle set, there are 7 different circles. That's like buying 7 different punches.
So I get my Spellbinders when they're on sale at HL (this week they're 50% off! so about $12). So that's less than $2 per die. Much cheaper than buying 7 punches, and takes up a fraction of the space.
They also don't need sharpened and don't break like many punches eventually do when they wear out.

kariyava
Guru
kariyava

I really want a spellbinders. It's just a lot of money upfront!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to kariyava

• kariyava Said:
I really want a spellbinders. It's just a lot of money upfront!

Cuttlebug machines are cheaper, especially if you use a 40% off coupon for them

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 12-03-09 01:13 PM

Ok you totally have me convinced I need to invest in some spellbinders. I have 2 of my marvy circle punches that I have had maybe 6 months that don't work anymore! Now I just wish I had a hobby lobby. I may get to go to one right before christmas though so maybe I can pick some up then.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Hev

Hehe, I'm such an enabler!
You won't be disappointed though, they're aweseome!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 12-03-09 05:22 PM

Enable away! I just wish the nearest Hl wasn't 3.5 hours or so away. I just saw in their ad that they are on sale 50% off this week.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Hev

You need some kind of machine to use the spellbinder dies, right?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Bxr-Linda

yep, I use my CuttleBug

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I just watched a video here about how to use the spellbinder dies with different machines.

I wonder if a clay roller (like a pasta machine) would work? {I don't have any diecutting machine.}

Tenant
In response to kariyava

• kariyava Said:
I would go with the scalloped punch. To me, regular squares are so easy to make using a trimmer that they don't justify buying a punch. You should look at the Marvy Uchida punches. I have a large scalloped circle and love it.

So true! That's probably why I still haven't bought a square punch. I actually ended up buying some EK Success scallop circle punches when they were on sale. (the square punches were so huge and my scrap space is pretty small, storing those things would take up waaaay too much space!)

I like the spellbinders idea but then I already have the slice so buying another die cutting machine doesn't seem worth it.

For me the whole point is to save time and punches are so quick and easy.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics