Username Post: another adhesive question        (Topic#1537247)
Tenant

How long has everyone been using the glue glider pro and ATG??? It took me four years to figure out my old adhesive will not stay put so I really want to make sure what I use now will stay.

How strong/sticky/aggressive are these compared to smaller/inexpensive runners??? I recently have tried the sticky thumb, tombo mono, and therm o web ones... any comparisons to these??

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Nat Scraps

I had the same thought.

I understand framers have been using the ATG for years (for mats and such). It's probably safe to say it is good for the long term.

The glue glider is what I'd be curious about.

Inloveforlife
Veteran
Inloveforlife
In response to Bxr-Linda

I had so much trouble with the glue glider

Tenant
In response to Inloveforlife

What kind of trouble??

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

my understanding is they are both exeptional adhesives,,,,,,,although the ATG is much less expensive for the refills if somewhat more expensive for the gun,,,,I love my ATG!!!!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Inloveforlife

• Inloveforlife Said:
I had so much trouble with the glue glider

Like what? I use mine costantly with no problems at all.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Here Kitty

No problems here either....still considering the ATG, but satisfied with the glue glider....

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-23-10 02:51 AM
In response to HisGEM

Love love love my ATG 714!!!! And even thought it holds like mad, I can still lift stuff up and move it. I use the Cricut spatula and just slide it betweent he adhesive and what ever I glued it on top of. Plus, if I decide not to use something I have already put the adhesive on, it can be rolled off with your finger. Oh, did I mention that I love that gun!!

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to KimKV

$60.00 for the gun itself???!!!!

HOLY ********

does anyone know if they sell them at Michaels or Joanns that we could use a coupon to get it cheaper?

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Ohio4HMom

The ATG is a framer's tool that has been adopted by the paper crafting world. I've never seen it at Ms or Js, but you might try framing supply stores if you want to comparison shop a bit more.

Lisa

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-23-10 07:08 AM

If you google ATG Gun, there is a framing supply store that comes up. That is where I got mine. It is the best price I have seen for it.

I love my ATG gun. The biggest plus in my book is the actual price of the adhesive. It is so much cheaper! You get 36 YARDS per roll. That is 108 feet. I don't know of any other adhesive that comes with that much per roll? The price of the gun is more up front, but in the long run it will even out to actually be cheaper.

From what I see on here you can buy the Glue Glider Pro refills for $7.64. You get 40 feet. (Yeah, I still think that is a lot of adhesive on a roll...especially when you compare to other forms!)

I just bought 3 rolls of adhesive for my ATG. I paid $7.55 total. I got 324 feet total.

Anyways, that is my reasoning. I actually didn't see the Glue Glider Pro until after I ordered my ATG. I found it and actually kinda thought I'd made a mistake until I went through the math above.

The bottom line is, there are TONS of adhesive on the market. It is your preference and what works best for YOU! There are adhesives that people swear by but that I've not tried. I've just found the ATG works well for me in a lot of applications, but it is definitely not the only adhesive that I use.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Ohio4HMom

• Ohio4HMom Said:
$60.00 for the gun itself???!!!!

HOLY ********

does anyone know if they sell them at Michaels or Joanns that we could use a coupon to get it cheaper?

If you want something that's like the ATG, the Glue Glider Max is sold at department stores.
I love my Max and Pro! I also couldn't do without their Adhesive Squares and Mini Adhesive Squares. They're kind of like Glue Dots in that they're a dry adhesive, but they're really thin, stretchy and SUPER sticky. Moreso than Glue Dots or Zots.

Edited by Here Kitty on 06-24-10 06:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to LeeLo

• LeeLo Said:

The bottom line is, there are TONS of adhesive on the market. It is your preference and what works best for YOU! There are adhesives that people swear by but that I've not tried. I've just found the ATG works well for me in a lot of applications, but it is definitely not the only adhesive that I use.

I agree with this, but...
If the adhesive fails over time, that's not good for anyone.

There are people who like glue sticks, but they fail.

I haven't jumped on the ATG bandwagon, because it is so big. I crop mostly away from home, and the ATG would take up my whole bag.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-23-10 08:16 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Well, I was not referring to "failed" adhesive. I was referring more to the TYPES of adhesive. Even in types, there are many brands...some good, some not so. It is still what works for you!

As for glue sticks, no, don't use them...heard too many horror stories. However, with that being said, I did do my first LO ever with a glue stick and it is still together. Perfectly 100% fine. I also know of people that swear by them and use them almost exclusively. Apparently they work for them!

The ATG works for me. I love it. However, I would never say it was the best & only kind of adhesive in the world. I don't even use it exclusively. I have my reasons for using it and it is just what works for me!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

Nat, I just sent you a pm about this.

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to LeeLo

Add me to the GlueGlider Pro and Max fan column!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to anda11

LeeLo,
I agree. I think part of the question was, how do you know which adhesives will fail over time?

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-23-10 09:19 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Exactly. Maybe the ATG stuff will just fall off the page in 10 years? All I'm saying is that it is your preference. No one can be certain that anything is going to stick for 100 years. Everything has a point where it will eventually deteriorate. Maybe someone decides to use glue sticks b/c of costs (not a good reason in my book, but who am I to judge?) I am just going by experience over several years. ATG was originally used by framers and has been for quite some time, so I guess there is some proof of its lasting quality, at least for the immediate future. I am not a chemical engineer, so who knows? My point is that it is your preference. Maybe someone prefers the Glue Glider Pro...and that is great! It is their choice! I prefer the ATG...and listed my reasons above. Really, I'm not here to argue over failing adhesive. It is your choice...maybe there are better and worse choices, but it is still yours!

What it all boils down to is that there are choices. Yes, it is your preference and what works best for you. I know many may like wet glue...me, not so much. But if it works for them and that is their choice, that's great. With that being said, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse so I'll hush.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've had the glueglider pro for about 8 months. I like it but I'm hesitant about recommending it to others. I love that you have a ton of adhesive for a better price than the little tape runners and it's not quite as bulky as the ATG. However, the refills I've gotten from HL don't seem to work as smoothly. I just put a new refill in and I am struggling to get the gun to wind the tape out. It wasn't just this refill, it's been all of them. This one, though, is almost impossible to get to work.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to ScrapHappyStArLIGhT

I pre-ordered a Pink ATG from another site cause I am new at all of this but I was amazed at the amount of $$$ I was already spending on tape runners.

I think the ATG will save me $ since I only spent $30 on the gun.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to PhotobearSam

The new pink atg is cheaper because it's been adapted for scrappers and isn't the exact same as the 714,,,,I think the 714 and 700 are expected to be used more by framers,,,,

however, it's a good price, and I'll be interested to know how it holds up over time,,,,

yes the ggp holds 40 feet of adhesive, but the ATG holds 36 YARDS,,,,,,3 feet to a yard,,,,yeah, almost 3 times the amount of adhesive,,,I'm not paying MORE money for LESS adhesive,,

It works for me, and I love it, but there are people who don't care for the size (it's large, but not heavy). I take mine to work with me all the time,,,,,no biggie,,,,

but I totally agree that not one adhesive is perfect for every person,,,,

lstory 
Mayor
In response to CommaHolly

I hope "adapted for scrappers" isn't code for reduced quality and durability.

Lisa

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to lstory

that's what I am worried about,,,,they put it out as a pink atg for 30 bucks and everyone is jumping on it,,,,,,,it wasn't until LATER that I found out it's possibly not the exact same item,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

everything I am reading says that it's not made for commercial use, and therefore not as durable,,,,

however, do we NEED it commercial use durable????

I dunno,,,,I gess we'll get feedback eventually from those who bought it,,,

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE

I was worried about the quality of the pink ATG but my little cheap adtech runners have never broken on me so I think it will be just fine...it's not like I'll be throwing it around the room...unless it makes me mad.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to StaceyE

you have a valid point, Stacey,,,we don't really REQUIRE it to be as strong as someone gluing 10 hours a day,,,,,

however, I've dropped mine 800 times and it's still good, so I dunno,,,,let us know when you get it, ok??

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE

Will do...July can't come soon enough, I'm giddy with excitement for it!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to StaceyE

I am waiting to hear reviews on the pink one although I did find a regular one new with tape for less than $40....

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to HisGEM

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on adhesives. I've found this helpful. I plan to get an ATG in 2011 (too many big scrappy purcahses in 2010), and will keep an eye out for reviews of the pink one when it delivers. If they are good, I can buy it sooner, as I've seen it for quite a good price.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 06-24-10 06:02 AM

• CommaHolly Said:
yes the ggp holds 40 feet of adhesive, but the ATG holds 36 YARDS,,,,,,3 feet to a yard,,,,yeah, almost 3 times the amount of adhesive,,,I'm not paying MORE money for LESS adhesive,,

You're comparing the smaller Glue Glider Pro to the larger ATG. Of course it's not going to hold as much adhesive. The competition for the ATG is the Glue Glider MAX, which holds 110 feet, or more than 36 yards, just like the ATG. The Max may cost a little more, but it is exceptional quality. I've never used an ATG, so I can't say firsthand how the quality is, so I agree that it's an individual choice and preference.

I am a huge GlueArts fan and have been using their Glue Glider Pro and MAX guns for about a year with absolutely no problems. They hold exceptionally well.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Ami G

• Ami G Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

You're comparing the smaller Glue Glider Pro to the larger ATG. Of course it's not going to hold as much adhesive. The competition for the ATG is the Glue Glider MAX, which holds 110 feet, or more than 36 yards, just like the ATG. The Max may cost a little more, but it is exceptional quality. I've never used an ATG, so I can't say firsthand how the quality is, so I agree that it's an individual choice and preference.

I am a huge GlueArts fan and have been using their Glue Glider Pro and MAX guns for about a year with absolutely no problems. They hold exceptionally well.

Yep! And a plus for anyone who has a store that takes coupons, you can pick them up for 40-50% off - so the price isn't bad at all.

lstory 
Mayor

Looks like a coupon is key if the refill list price is $15 - ouch!

Lisa

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 06-24-10 06:27 AM
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
Looks like a coupon is key if the refill list price is $15 - ouch!

Lisa

I scrap a LOT, and I have been using the same cartridge in my GGMax for over six months. And it still hasn't run out yet (I can probably get at least another month or two out of it). So, in the end, it's actually pretty cheap!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Ami G

^ditto what Ami said. It's a whole lotta adhesive! And it's so strong and wide (with the Max) that you need half of what you'd use with a Tombow, 3L, etc.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Ami G

Well, that's good! Since I got my ATG, I've used way more adhesive than I used to - running it all the way down every side of every photo, mat, pp layer, etc. - mostly because it's easy and there's so much of it. I suspect I could use a lighter hand, but one thing's for sure: nothing's coming unstuck. Ever. Except, apparently, every button, flower, and chipboard piece I ever attached with Zots, but that's another sad story.

Lisa

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 06-24-10 06:40 AM
In response to lstory

Yeah, you only need a teeny bit--just a line every few inches or so, or just in the corners. It's super-strong and not going anywhere! For the stuff you mentioned--flowers, buttons, chipboard, etc., I tend to use a liquid glue, like Beacon's Zip Dry or their 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue (sb.com doesn't carry it so I can't cite it). That stuff is amazing--VERY strong and durable.
Products Referenced in This Post:

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Ami G

I have Scotch Quick Dry, which is the same basic thing as Zip Dry, but don't use it as often because of having to unclog the teeny little nozzle now and then. Glue dots *seemed* like the easier method. Oh, well, live and learn.

Lisa

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Ami G

I bought the Glue Glider Pro before discovering the Max...I have heard that is does hold more adhesive than the ATG...since I have never used either, I don't know, but the Glue Glider seems to be very strong and will last a while.....

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to HisGEM

I also have been using the smaller pink glue glider pro for a few months and have come across a few bad refills.
When the refill is bad you know it. The glue doesn't come off correctly, the roll sticks and doesn't roll properly, there is a bunch of little glue balls on the edges of the roll, glue balls build up on the roller, and the refill roll looks warped.
I think the damage may be due to storage. maybe At some point in time, the refills were stored somewhere very hot. Funny thing is when I returned them to the LSS they put them on their return wall> and guess what? there were several already up there to be returned. When I buy the refills now I just examine them very closely.

PS I recommend the glue glider pro. I use it about 90% of the time along other adhesives, dots, glue pens, zip glue, etc.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to PhotobearSam

I love my ATG and have had it for 3+ years and nothing has fallen off my pages. With so many scrapbook companies going out of business or discontinuing products, I feel really secure that ATG is made by Scotch 3M and has been around for YEARS. If I can never again find a scrap store to buy it in, I can at least go to ULine or ******** Blick Art Supplies to get the refills.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to Jennifer Priest

I have had my ATG over 5 years now, and nothing falls off when I use it. My albums are totally together from 5 years ago still.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Here Kitty Said:
  • Ami G Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

Yep! And a plus for anyone who has a store that takes coupons, you can pick them up for 40-50% off - so the price isn't bad at all.

I totally agree,,,,,,however, we have no Hobby Lobby here and J's and M's s do not sell the ggm refills,,,,so no coupoon savings,,,the refills for the ATG cost about 3.50-4.00 and even WITH a coupon at 50% off (which is rather rare) that makes the ggm refills 7.50 each,,,,almost TWICE as much as the ATG for 108 feet,,,,

PLUS the GGM is no size savings over the ATG,,,

I completely agree, however, that not every adhesive is good for every person, but the above reasons (mostly coupon issues) is why the ATG works for me,,,,,

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
I have Scotch Quick Dry, which is the same basic thing as Zip Dry, but don't use it as often because of having to unclog the teeny little nozzle now and then. Glue dots *seemed* like the easier method. Oh, well, live and learn.

Lisa

I recently bought some Zip Dry. That is an issue --the tip getting clogged.

But, I have to admit, it is strangely fun and satisfying to pull a gob of dried up glue out in one big chunk.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Darn it! I was just at Michaels today. I meant to look for the Glue Glider (I had a coupon). I forgot to!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Bxr-Linda

My M's doesn't sell the GG,,,,,,does yours, Linda???? maybe they are finally getting with it that would definately make the GG a choice of mine to have at least for an extra,,,,

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • lstory Said:

Lisa

I recently bought some Zip Dry. That is an issue --the tip getting clogged.

But, I have to admit, it is strangely fun and satisfying to pull a gob of dried up glue out in one big chunk.

And provides another use for your piercing tool. Hooray for multipurpose objects!

Lisa

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• CommaHolly Said:
My M's doesn't sell the GG,,,,,,does yours, Linda???? maybe they are finally getting with it that would definately make the GG a choice of mine to have at least for an extra,,,,

I don't know. I've never seen it there (but I haven't looked either).
Someone mentioned above using a coupon, so I guessed maybe M's is selling it? Maybe not.

Craft Warehouse here sells it, but they rarely have coupons.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Bxr-Linda

My M does not sell them unless they are online? HL does......

scrappinpeach
Expert
scrappinpeach
In response to Ami G

been scrapbooking for seventeen years and the ATG gets the prize as far as I;m concerned

Expert
In response to scrappinpeach

I think my HL clearanced out the GG Max a few months ago--made me think about it (before I ordered my ATG) but since it was on clearance I figured they wouldn't be carrying the refills anymore. They still have the Pro and the Pro refills. My M's has always had a very anemic adhesive section.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to HuskerMom98

we're getting a Hobby Lobby here in Central Florida in the fall, and I can hardly contain myself

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics