Username Post: Crop-a-dile        (Topic#1540171)
Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066

I have been thinking about purchasing a Crop-a-dile... I was wanting everyone's thoughts! Do you have it? Do you like it? Pros? Cons? Do you actually use it? What makes it better than old fashioned eyelet setting and hole punching? Any other advice??

Oh, and which one do you have, want?

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Karen3066

I have the crop- a -dile. waste of money in my opinion. it doesn't have a far reach so its only good for tags and small stuff.

I bought the crop-a-dile 11 big bite and I love it. You can reach all over a 12x12 Paper. I dont use as many eyelets as I used to but im always useing it to punch holes.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to andrea m

Karen, I love mine. (I originally got mine for $7 with a half off sticker at Joanns). I never invested in the 'old school system', so maybe that's part of it's appeal for me. Plus, I love the pink of it all (though gotta say, the green, orange & lavendar are all equally cute!)

Once I return to the states I'm hoping to inexpensively find a Big Bite from someone who isn't thrilled with theirs. I believe you can find them at Walmart on marked down/on clearance for $10-$20, that is, depending on your Walmart.

In the end, I'd say the Crop-A-Dile is a hit or miss! Scrappers seem to either love it or hate it.

MamasBoys
Resident
MamasBoys
In response to KellyCali

I have the Big Bite. LOVE it!! Friend has the pink one but when we are together she always uses mine. It is so nice that it can reach everywhere on a 12x12. At first it seemed bulky and hard to do....but much better than pounding away with a hammer! After a few times I got they hang of it. I got it for half off at HL on sale. Hope that helps!

Resident
In response to KellyCali

I have the Big Bite and I've used it about twice, but I did get started with the "Old school" and that just seems simpler to me.

Lindy_Pop
Veteran
Lindy_Pop
In response to eyescrapp

I love my Crop-A-Dile! I had gotten mine for Christmas with a 40% off coupon so I think I paid $12 for it. I've never set them by hand so I cant say if that way is better but I love using mine.
The only Con is that you can only do small things, go for the Big Bite, I wish I had. Although now that I'm doin more cards, the size is fine. Its only when I'm scrapping that I want the big one.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Lindy_Pop

• Lindy_Pop Said:
...now that I'm doin more cards, the size is fine. Its only when I'm scrapping that I want the big one.

Exactly & great point! That's pretty much how I also feel!

(In which case a paper piercer will do the trick just fine as long as it brads vs. eyelets that you want in the center of your page!)

Products Referenced in This Post:

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to KellyCali

I have both...nip it in the bud and get the big bite! It is big, but I store mine on a peg board...great asset IMO even if I don't use it on every project.

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza
In response to HisGEM

The big bite is my fave

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrapalooza

I have the Big Bite - love it. I haven't used it in a while but I go in stages where i use it a lot! Its a great tool.

I have a big basket of things I take to crops every Friday night and it lives in that basket.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Henri Jean

I have one and I rarely use it. I got the standard one and unless you want to punch a lot of holes and set a lot of eyelets near the edge of the paper.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I have both and love my Big Bite. It's super quiet, which allows me to punch and set at any time of day (no more disturbing autistic son). It reaches everywhere, and is very slim. I slip it right into my crop bag. I've never bothered using a case for it.

kanary
kanary 
Mayor
kanary
In response to Luvmyfam

I could not do without my Big Bite. The long reach is worth the price, but my favorite part is that there is no hammering and you don't need to be a weightlifter to punch holes. Very little pressure is required; in fact, if you press too hard, you'll smash your eyelet or gromlet. So many uses for the Big Bite. I just used it the other night to punch a hole in one of my dad's belts. Easy peasy.

glensgirl
Idol
glensgirl
In response to kanary

Another big bite user. I love it!! Use a 40 or 50% off coupons at either Ms or AC M's then you can it get it for a relatively inexpensive price. I love mine!

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to glensgirl

I have the Big Bite. It's great except my instructions were in French and I've heard that's pretty common.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to sunrenay

Thanks for all the input... I use quite a few eyelets, so I think I will make the investment! And of course I will use the 40% off coupon!!

danielle1975
Pro
danielle1975
In response to Karen3066

I have the crop-a-dial, wish I had the big bite!

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to danielle1975

Definitely get the big bite if you do 12x12 srapbook pages otherwise as stated above you can all do small areas. I have the big bite and use it quite a bit.

krispin41
Tenant
krispin41
In response to cdjohnson

Seriously. I wonder why I waited so long to buy mine. It punches through so many things like butter. I punched holes in all sorts of things just to see what it could do!

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to krispin41

I have the crop-a-dile. I love it but I only ever use it for punching chipboard, cds or metal. Otherwise I use the "old system" eyelet setter.

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey
In response to disneylisa

I have a Crop-A-Dile but I use it for metal, leather and other heavy materials. For paper I use my Martha Stewart Drill Punch.

sueml
sueml 
Veteran
sueml
  • sueml on 08-05-10 02:03 PM
In response to lylacfey

I have them both and use them both. No more hammering away on eyelets and making the dog bark (she has tool issues). The small one is handy for cards and tags and the big bite is great for scrapbook pages.

momofcody
Veteran
momofcody

I got mine back in '06, and I think it had just came out in the orange. I love it, but would prefer the Big Bite. Would love a Big Bite in purple tho!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to Karen3066

I have the Big Bite-- I don't use it often (probably one or 2 pages in each album), but I got it for $10 and at THAT price I think it was worth it!

lgallen01
Tenant
lgallen01

I have to say, I was a little intimated by the look of the crop-a-dile but after playing around with it and making some layouts I Love it! I would love to have the big bite.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to lgallen01

I recently bought the Big Bite, I think it makes the most sense due to reach and quiet. I did the hammer, I did the "silent setter" which was almost as loud as the hammer. Even tho I don't use a ton of eyelets/brads, having this may encourage me to do so more often as it will be soooooo easy.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I have the Crop-a-dile too, but mine doesn't set the eyelets cleanly. It seems to mangle one side of the eyelet every time. It is faulty, or am I doing something wrong? Squeezing too hard perhaps?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-22-11 07:33 PM

Big Bite - definitely worth it. I started with a hammer set that I was fine with (I already own a lot of hammers and mallets, lol) but I used it so much that I dulled the edge of the cutter. Oops.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.

I also have both of them. And love them. The Big Bite is the best though as it can go anywhere on your page. I bought the case for it, so it is neatly stored away.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 05-23-11 03:51 AM
In response to Karen3066

I have the big bite. Mostly use it for punching holes(it even punches through felt) but have used it a few times for eyelet and is much easier than the making memories tools I had originally.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Hev

I have the hand-held crop-a-dile and I am underwhelmed by it. This tool is very limited in what it can do, i.e. where it can punch on the page.

I would suggest the big bite instead.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I don't have it, and don't feel I need it. I have the MM setting tool with a hammer, which works just fine, doesn't take up much space, and was pretty cheap.

A friend has the crop-a-dile, and she has never been able to reliably set eyelets with it.

From comments I've read here, it is a BIG, EXPENSIVE hole punch!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Bxr-Linda

it's a hole punch for me, I never do anything else with it,,,,,but having said that, I can punch through some pretty thick things unlike a regular hole punch,,,,it was indespensable for making mini albums out of cardstock or chipboard until I got my Cinch at least,,,,still wouldn't part with it,,,,because I don't ALWAYS bind with the cinch, and using the big bite to punch holes gives me other options for binding,,,,,

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to CommaHolly

I recently purchased the Big Bite expressly for the purpose of punching holes in a stack of papers without straining my arthritic hands.

I've been using small loose-leaf memo books (6" x 3 1/2") for decades as personal journals, until that size was discontinued over a year ago. I was able to slice down papers to that size but needed an easy way to punch 6 holes in the sheets. I purchased loose rings at Staples and cut covers with holes to fit the completed journals. I was forced to use a hand-held hole puncher to do all 6 holes in 3 or 4 pages at a time, which was a strain on my hands.

I have the Martha Stewart drill and tried using it for the memo book pages, but it doesn't work well because the pages would keep shifting and bulging out around the hole.

A stationery store was selling a small 6-hole puncher for $40 but it needed a very strong squeeze using your hands to punch through only 1 or 2 papers at a time, and even the storekeeper had trouble squeezing it.

The Big Byte is easy to use. It goes through a dozen papers at once using the strengh of your shoulders and not your hands. It also makes the smaller size hole that my memo book uses, instead of the larger 1/4" hole my other hole-puncher made. I still need to measure for all 6 holes, but that's ok as long as the strain on my hands is eliminated and it goes quickly enough.

I used a discount coupon to buy it and it came to about $30, well worth it to me. As a bonus, I can use the device for other scrapbooking purposes as well. I'm guessing the regular Crop-a-Dile would not be as useful as it still requires hand pressure and has a limited reach.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Solitaire

my big bite lives at school- I use it for punching answer keys to multiple choice tests. I think EVERY teacher at my site has borrowed it at some point this year. LOVE that thing! Most of the ones who have borrowed it, have gone and bought their own too!

Edited by seaexplore on 05-23-11 05:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Seaexplore

Have it. Use my making memories tool kit more often. But there are those times when I don't want to use a hammer because of a bouncy surface or noise restrictions and it comes in handy.

Despite what others have said I have found when confronted by crappy eyelets, the big bite is actually better than the mm kit.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Msceejay2000

I have the original Crop a dile and the Big Bite. I love the reach of the Big Bite so much that I haven't even taken the original one out of the storage bin where it was packed when we moved 3 years ago. I used my Big Bite to punch holes in a clear plastic makeup bag ala Pull EZ Ribbon Purse, punch holes in my son's stinky tennis shoes (for ventilation) punch holes in belts that got too big (yay!), and sometimes I even use it to punch holes and set eyelets for scrapbooking and cardmaking.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics