Page 1 of 11 
Username Post: Which sb trend did you hate?        (Topic#1540453)
meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

We all know that scrapping goes through trends in fits and starts, and they're usually nice ones that we get involved with happily (flowers, for instance). But which trend didn't ring your bell? Which one did you maybe use but didn't like?

(For me it was owls and/or birds -- only did one.)

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to meezerpleaser

Cutting pics with deco scissors. Yeah, that was a while ago, but I couldn't really get into it.

Eyelets are not my thing, either. For a while there, people seemed to be using them on every LO. They hate me, so I hate them. LOL

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

Oh, and I just have to hijack your thread to say that I want to see more pics/LOs of Lladro!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to siameseplease

owls and birds, definitely. for the longest time I wasn't into flowers, I thought they were pretty just not my style, but I've started getting into them now. By that I mean buying them if not actually using them

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Tina scraps

Cutting photos with decorative scissors.

I haven't gotten in to the owls or birds either.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Tina scraps

That's funny. I love owls and birds, I just haven't had a chance to use them, except one owl so far. I have a owl stamp set I'm dying to use.

One thing I can't get into: torn paper
I can't do it. I like it on other peoples lo's, but not my own. I can never get it to tear right, either. Ranks right up there with deco edged scissors.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to Bxr-Linda

Cutting your pics into shapes like stars and hearts...I did that too and now look back and don't really like those pages!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to purpledurple

Ugh.... It KILLS me to see some of my old pages that I cut the photos into stars and ovals with!!!

I can't get into the MASSIVE flower trend. I can understand a few on a page, I LOVE flowers, but some pages it looks like a floral shop exploded onto paper, and not in a good way.

A while back I think it was hambly came out with some mustache rub-ons... I didn't quite get that trend either.

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to ScrapperSara22

UGH!!! Cutting my pictures up into ovals and circles too I don't like those scrapbooks!!!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to ScrapperSara22

I think cutting photos in to ovals and circles is not so bad. But I agree about the other shapes, stars, hearts....I did a layout where I cut my photos into strawberries! But that wasn't that long ago, I'm just super new at scrapping. (Just over 2 years.)

One thing I cannot stand, and please forgive me if there are any Becky Fleck Challenge fans on here...but it's what I call the garbage can look. It looks like people spread glue on paper and then sprinkle their craft trash can over it like glitter. Bits of paper, rope, string, ribbon and other oddities...anything for no rhyme or reason EVERYWHERE. I don't understand it. And it's this look that wins the Page Maps monthly challenge almost every single time.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Penny Lane

Masking...I have almost all the masks and for some reason, every time I try to do it...I hate it! I don't know if I'm just not doing something right or what...but I just don't like it when I do it...and I would love to know how others make it look so great!!!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to StarsNSparkles

Ok dumb question...what is masking?

MamasBoys
Resident
MamasBoys
In response to StarsNSparkles

Literally LOL to the deco scissor pics I did UGH!! I am not into the owl and bird thing either. I have a few flowers...havent used them yet because I have 2 sons and haven't seemed to do a LO that they would fit on. I am going to do a surprise album for my mom's 50th next year and I am pretty excited to do some girly flowery pages then!! Speaking of....I should get started on that.

MamasBoys
Resident
MamasBoys
In response to MamasBoys

You aren't alone. I don't know what masking is either.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

• Penny Lane Said:

You take a "mask" or anything really and put it on the paper, then you ink or mist over it so it leaves the negative impression of the image behind.

I love masking, I use it on a lot...and I mean A LOT of layouts!

I cannot get into banners.

I love birds and owls!! Dang guys!! What is wrong with them?

Edited by Manda_K on 08-09-10 12:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
  • Penny Lane Said:

You take a "mask" or anything really and put it on the paper, then you ink or mist over it so it leaves the negative impression of the image behind.

I love masking, I use it on a lot...and I mean A LOT of layouts!

I cannot get into banners.

I love birds and owls!! Dang guys!! What is wrong with them?

OH! I've done that before...lol Just didn't know the name.

flagirlof4
Guru
flagirlof4
In response to meezerpleaser

tracing and cutting!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I don't like to do the layouts with tons of flowers and swirls. I like them when other people do them, I just don't like to do them myself.

I don't care for the big swirly bling flourishes. I don't mind a little here swirl here or there, but not the huge swirls that are popular.

I love birds and owls

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Here Kitty

Sorry Manda, I have seen very few layouts where the birds and owls 'fit' the theme or feel of the page.

To me, it's so random. Unless your page is about nature or birds and owls, why???

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
Sorry Manda, I have seen very few layouts where the birds and owls 'fit' the theme or feel of the page.

To me, it's so random. Unless your page is about nature or birds and owls, why???

THIS.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

That can be said of anything. People do layouts with tons of flowers, but the layouts usually aren't about flowers. honestly I never do masculine layouts/boy layouts with flowers. I hardly ever use flowers. Some people use them on every single layout. why?????

Same with butterflies. Should they be reserved for only layouts about nature or butterflies? People use butterflies a lot.

Trees are another popular embellishment, but not only used on layouts about nature or trees.

Edited by tinacome on 08-09-10 01:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

LOL...so you ONLY use things that make sense??!! Random is my life baby!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to tinacome

• tinacome Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

That can be said of anything. People do layouts with tons of flowers, but the layouts usually aren't about flowers. honestly I never do masculine layouts/boy layouts with flowers. I hardly ever use flowers. Some people use them on every single layout. why?????

Same with butterflies. Should they be reserved for only layouts about nature or butterflies? People use butterflies a lot.

Trees are another popular embellishment, but not only used on layouts about nature or trees.

The flowers thing too...I do not NOT get it. I went through a bit of a prima addiction, maybe a couple months, but it's out of my system now and I mostly took it out on cards. LOL

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Flowers are pretty.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to tinacome

Oh, SO many trends that just aren't me. None that I "hate" though - most of these look fantastic on pages that other people do. The not-me ones:

cutting pics with deco scissors or into non-circle or rectangle shapes
banners
birds/owls
what I consider overuse of flowers
what I consider overuse of swirls/bling
over-distressing, unless done on heritage pages
more product than pics

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-09-10 01:14 PM
In response to Manda_K

I don't like the birds or owls either...don't like all the glitter paper... I am not against glitter but ...
I managed to pretty much miss the cut your photos into shapes..I think I have one lo where I cut around the person in the photo...
Sticker sneeze and now flower sneeze and bling sneeze: I like flowers and bling and even on occasion a sticker but when I see a lo where I have a hard time finding the photo(s) not so much.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

Didn't mean to start something... just my opinion.....

Random is good.
I guess *I* just don't like birds or owls.

To me, flowers are okay on anything (they're more of a 'generic' decoration).

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to scraprabbit

I hated all the bird/owl embellies, papers etc - just not my thing at all! and butterflies totally freak me out so, NO, NO, NOOOOOOO!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-09-10 01:18 PM
In response to SuperAllyFan

oh yeah - butterflies - another overdone (IMHO)-hmmmm maybe that is what I hate: overdoing a trend!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

butterflies freak you out???!!! really?

GradRNnNC
Tenant
GradRNnNC

For me it was cutting my pictures into shapes that just did not seem to fit the page.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to tinacome

• tinacome Said:

REALLY!!! But it is my own fault ...

When I was about 10, I trapped a butterfly under a pile of cut grass, took it by the wings and with a matchstick, I uncurled it's tongue thing to see how long it was! (Don't ask ... I was an evil child!) But as I was doing it, I swear, the thing looked right at me with it's beady eyes and freaked the living daylights out of me! Some say I deserved it, but they still freak me out, especially when they do that fluttery thing near me - hate them!!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to purpledurple

• purpledurple Said:
Cutting your pics into shapes like stars and hearts...I did that too and now look back and don't really like those pages!

Exactly that, when I used to paper scrap. Now in digi land I'm not a fan of the fantasy/woodland/fairy style that very popular in currently but maybe that's because it's more suited to babies and toddlers - neither of whuich I have

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Kimmi - you totally had that coming! Sorry!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

• scraprabbit Said:
Kimmi - you totally had that coming! Sorry!

I know, I know ...

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to scrappercaz

• scrappercaz Said:
Exactly that, when I used to paper scrap. Now in digi land I'm not a fan of the fantasy/woodland/fairy style that very popular in currently but maybe that's because it's more suited to babies and toddlers - neither of whuich I have

Me neither - I don't get all that fantasy stuff, but I don't like it anywhere - movies, TV, books ... it's just not me.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• SuperAllyFan Said:
  • tinacome Said:

When I was about 10, I trapped a butterfly under a pile of cut grass, took it by the wings and with a matchstick, I uncurled it's tongue thing to see how long it was! (Don't ask ... I was an evil child!) But as I was doing it, I swear, the thing looked right at me with it's beady eyes and freaked the living daylights out of me! Some say I deserved it, but they still freak me out, especially when they do that fluttery thing near me - hate them!!

Oh my, that's so funny!!!!! Not to make light of your butterfly trauma, of course.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-09-10 01:45 PM
In response to angie girl

• angie girl Said:
That's funny. I love owls and birds, I just haven't had a chance to use them, except one owl so far. I have a owl stamp set I'm dying to use.

One thing I can't get into: torn paper
I can't do it. I like it on other peoples lo's, but not my own. I can never get it to tear right, either. Ranks right up there with deco edged scissors.

I wouldn't use flowers owls or birds if I didn't enter completions which say used 10 elements from x kit. And the kit contains a bird an owl and 4 flowers. So now I have lots of layouts with birds.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Obi

I didn't know there were trends.....but I LOVE butterflies and I am one who has used them on a lot of projects!! So I guess my projects would be ugh to some. In fact I bought another Martha Steward border punch for $4 yesterday...and can't wait to use it! On my 6th birthday I had one land on my finger and I was hooked every since then..

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to HisGEM

• HisGEM Said:
I didn't know there were trends.....but I LOVE butterflies and I am one who has used them on a lot of projects!! So I guess my projects would be ugh to some. In fact I bought another Martha Steward border punch for $4 yesterday...and can't wait to use it! On my 6th birthday I had one land on my finger and I was hooked every since then..

I'm sorry.... I thought you meant you had a border punch land on your finger. I'm thinking, WTH?!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to HisGEM

I like the owls and birds just don't see a use for them myself, unless they fit a card theme.

I don't get the banner trend. A few people can pull it off. A few. And I'm not among the elite few.

I have a really hard time putting my pictures at an angle. I always want them to be at 90 degrees.

Flowers and bling on boy pages. I've pulled it off (in my eyes) a few times but avoid it most of the time. It drives me a little crazy to see flowers and bling on a page about a teen boy or man.

I've tried a few pages without journaling but I don't prefer it. I mean, what's the point? Sure, I know the story but I'm not going to be around forever.

I can't get into doing page after page after page of a single photo of my son's cute face. It is cute but I prefer to document all his quirks and habits and not just a good photo.

GinaPa 
Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • HisGEM Said:

I'm sorry.... I thought you meant you had a border punch land on your finger. I'm thinking, WTH?!

ahahhaahahah!!! I thought the exact same thing!!!!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to tinacome

• tinacome Said:
  • SuperAllyFan Said:
  • tinacome Said:

Oh my, that's so funny!!!!! Not to make light of your butterfly trauma, of course.

And it is trauma!!

TimeScrapper
Idol
TimeScrapper
In response to tinacome

I ♥ butterflies!! (But I don't think I have a l/o with them yet LOL)

There is a trend (or is there) of leaving tons of space on a 12x12" page, with a teensy weensy area that has one photo and embellishments...I no likey. I prefer a closer balance that is maybe 40/60, rather than 10/90.

TimeScrapper
Idol
TimeScrapper
In response to TimeScrapper

...I kinda feel like making a l/o with everything listed here on it!

butterflies, owls, torn paper, glitter, fairies, and heart shaped photos! haha

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like the scrapbooking to be about the pictures and not just the scrapbooking and decorating. I don't care for the pages that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at, the pictures or the decorations.

Deckle cut photos for sure. Ugh. Guilty one here.

GinaPa 
Tenant
In response to runzalot81

• runzalot81 Said:

I don't get the banner trend. A few people can pull it off. A few. And I'm not among the elite few.

I like the banners but I think I need to scraplift a layout. Can you think of any layouts you recently saw that "pulled it off" as you say? I want to see

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to GinaPa

• GinaPa Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • HisGEM Said:

That's what I get for typing first then adding stuff but not watching where the cursor is! A butterfly landed on my index finger on my 6th birthday LOL!!

ahahhaahahah!!! I thought the exact same thing!!!!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to HisGEM

See something is going screwy on the site because my post in the wrong spot again!

GinaPa 
Tenant
In response to HisGEM

• HisGEM Said:
See something is going screwy on the site because my post in the wrong spot again!

teeeheeee!!

You just typed it in in the wrong spot, if you don't go to the end of the quoted section, it will put your post within the quoted parts.

GinaPa 
Tenant
In response to GinaPa

Ok, I seriously cannot get over this, I'm dying!
  • Quote:
In fact I bought another Martha Steward border punch for $4 yesterday...and can't wait to use it! On my 6th birthday I had one land on my finger and I was hooked every since then..

Talk about fantasy land...can you imagine a border punch alighting on your finger? Hehe, sounds like a scrapper's dream!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to GinaPa

• GinaPa Said:
Ok, I seriously cannot get over this, I'm dying!
  • Quote:
In fact I bought another Martha Steward border punch for $4 yesterday...and can't wait to use it! On my 6th birthday I had one land on my finger and I was hooked every since then..

Talk about fantasy land...can you imagine a border punch alighting on your finger? Hehe, sounds like a scrapper's dream!

pfffffftttt The mental image in my head is completely amazing. LOVE it!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to GinaPa

• GinaPa Said:
  • runzalot81 Said:

I like the banners but I think I need to scraplift a layout. Can you think of any layouts you recently saw that "pulled it off" as you say? I want to see

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/175441/view /2837439/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/167875/view /2800935/...

She is My Happiness By Kristen622

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/167875/view /2715751/...

a hand picked bouquet for great grandma By Peenut_23

Sweet Baby By Kahlan

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

they DID pull it off Alissa

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Okay....did I read the words "butterfly trauma" up there?

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Manda_K

yeah - I'm the tramatised one Go back and read why ... it's my own fault!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

I think that ummm.....if the butterfly had I dunno...mamed your finger or something....but...heeeheeee!!! That is too much!!

joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 08-09-10 03:19 PM

LoL...I agree with some of the women here...When I look back at some of the first pages I ever scrapbooked, I wish I didn't use some of the star, squiggly, heart, etc shapes to cut up my photos with!

Sharlotte
Tenant
Sharlotte

I don't really "hate" the tear bears, but I just never did get into them. They make all the pages look like infant and toddler pages. They are cute but after a while it becomes overkill.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• TimeScrapper Said:

I double dog dare you!

And bonus points if you use deco scissors to cut your pic in a heart shape!!

Edited by scraprabbit on 08-09-10 04:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

Layouts with single, wallet sized photos. I think the focus on the photo was lost.

And layouts about stuff like new flip flops with a tiny itty bitty photo of someone's big toe in the flip flop. I have done layouts about my kids' new flip flops but they had bigger pics of the whole person, not just an adult big toe --it's not the subject matter so much as the way it is done. Same with a pic of part of a Starbuck's cup, part of a new pillow, part of someone's new couch--first, you can't see what it is, and second, the photo is so small, it almost would be better to leave it off altogether and call it a collage instead of a layout.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• scraprabbit Said:
  • TimeScrapper Said:

I double dog dare you!

Now that is a challenge!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-09-10 06:00 PM

• TimeScrapper Said:

Sounds like a challenge to me!
Go for it and don't forget to use a tiny little photo of part of the back of your knee and add a lot of flowers and leave at least 75% of the background empty.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to GMFTS

Now, if this is your taste, more power to you, but I hate it when people get so caught up in being artistic and elaborate that it takes me 5 minutes to find the photo. Also, a year or 2 ago I noticed a ton of LOs that looked more like magazine covers (I don't know how else to describe them). It seemed really impersonal to me. Again, if that's what floats your boat, Yay, but no thanks.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-09-10 06:13 PM
In response to Jennifer Priest

• Jennifer Priest Said:
  • scraprabbit Said:
  • TimeScrapper Said:

I double dog dare you!

Now that is a challenge!

I want to know has anyone ever used Deco sissors to cut their photo into a heart shape and it worked?

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

• SuperAllyFan Said:
  • tinacome Said:

This story must be scrapped...

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

Speaking of butterflies...I don't know if I should use a butterfly embellishment when I scrap this photo...this photo is my favorite photo I've ever taken...EVER! So I am waiting to scrap it until I know I have the right idea in mind...

But sometimes I think I'll let the buttefly be the only orange on the page, and the only butterfly on the page. My SIL thinks I'm crazy...she was like "This is your chance to use butterflies with no shame!"

Butterfly Release By Penny Lane

Edited by Penny Lane on 08-09-10 06:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

I don't like super distressed stuff. I like distressing here and there, but some stuff is just all distressing it seems. Everything is torn, sanded, inked and inked and inked.

I don't like layouts that just show a pretty picture with tons of fluff and say something like "dream," "cherished," "sweet," etc. I like layouts about something, not just showcasing a posed photo and scrapbook supplies with a generic title.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-09-10 06:31 PM

I admit to not liking layouts which are overly desinged.

If people have a hankering to graphic artists great but in 20 years time and they are looking at a series of photos and layouts all exactly the same to the point where it's hard to even tell one person from another.

How are they going to explain or even remember that was the day they all went to the zoo. Climbed mount Everest etc.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant
In response to Obi

I guess I don't know what you mean by "overly designed"?

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Sharlotte

• Sharlotte Said:
I don't really "hate" the tear bears, but I just never did get into them. They make all the pages look like infant and toddler pages. They are cute but after a while it becomes overkill.

I'll admit it, I hate HATE hate HATE tear bears...The FIRST time I saw one I thought "That's cute kinda..." and then EVERYWHERE...and people pay LOADS of money on ebay for them.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Bxr-Linda

I Do like the birds and owls, even though I am not a big fan of real birds. (It really irritates me when people let their pet birds fly free in their house.)

I Don't like photos cut into shapes other than rectangles and circle.

Call me strange, but I Don't like flat stickers. If I use a flat sticker I typically will mount it onto cardstock and lift it off the page with pop dots or I mount them on cardboard.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Sharlotte

• Sharlotte Said:

I feel the same way about the bears.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

Mustache rub-ons. I never did understand those....or how to use them.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

There are so many trends that I love to look at, but don't really use: the whole owl/bird thing, mega-distressed LOs, massive white space ... and there are others I've embraced: flourishes/swirls, flowers, inking.

I don't think I "hate" any trend, but there are some that don't appeal to me so much, mostly the ones where I have to really search for the picture among the many embellishments.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

This isn't "I hate," but more of I will probably never do. Layouts that tell a huge story in journaling with type that is small. The journaling takes if 3/4 of the page and there is one tiny picture. I hide my journaling if it is a long story probably because I never read it if it seems too long to me. I know scrapping is about the story, I guess I just prefer to read pictures.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker

It's your preference of what you want to scrap about, but I do not understand "the calling" to scrap about Twilight. Yes, I read the books. No, I didn't choose vampire or werewolf. No, I didn't feel moved enough by the books to scrap about them (after reading all 4 four books I was very disappointed and wondering why I wasted so much time on them).

No offense intended towards Twilight fans. But I've never been moved enough by any book or author to scrap about them.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I wonder if that trend if more for the younger set? I have seen the paper lines and wondered if there would be enough interest in it to make money.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to 950nancy

So, uh, is this tread making anyone else self-conscious about posting their next layout?

Scenery papers are a scrapbooking trend that I didn't really get into. I own a few of these papers, but some have such an intricate design that how do you scrap with these papers without losing too much of the scenery?

Princess Kitty
Veteran
Princess Kitty

For me it was tearing the paper.... I just couldn't bring myself to do it!

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to 950nancy

The ONLY trends I don't like are the ones I thankfully escaped living through because I just got into scrapbooking a couple of years ago. Deco cutting fotos into extreme shapes and sticker sneeze....although, maybe I am guilty of using a few too many embellies....they're just too cute!!!

And YES....I'm a fan of butterflies, owls, birds, bugs, hearts, flowers, animals, flourishes, lace, banners, stick pins and bling. Luv the look of distressing, tearing and inking AND overdoing it with crazy stuff that fills up the page!!!

I even like the look of the pages that leave 80% white space....but it would be torture to do more than a couple of those since I seem to never know when to say when.

I just LOVE this craft/art called Scrapbooking and think that I came into it at such a wonderful time because the possibilities to create so many different looks and styles is just ubber exciting since there is such a vast array of products, tutorials and tools available. It's like being a little girl getting to play with lots of goodies when I walk into my scrap-space....I'm just REALLY loving it!!!

Scrappin Kaz
Diva
Scrappin Kaz
In response to kygirlnfla

I totally agree with the deco cutting! I was a simple scrapper but got into painting everything! Not alot of people like to use paint on their LO's but I did! That is why I have re-done alot! lol
Not my cup of tea now! haha
I just love using flowers, flourishes, birds, animals, bugs, lace and of course bling (if you see any of my LO's you will notice too much bling! lol) but I love trying new techniques but at the moment my mojo on scrapping is pretty low after having my second son! I just love looking on S.B. for "ideas" but I never use them!!

Another thing I never got into was cutting the photo's to the person's body or shape (if you know what I mean) then adding things like angel wings and so on - on the pic....

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Scrappin Kaz

• Scrappin Kaz Said:
I totally agree with the deco cutting! I was a simple scrapper but got into painting everything! Not alot of people like to use paint on their LO's but I did! That is why I have re-done alot! lol
Not my cup of tea now! haha
I just love using flowers, flourishes, birds, animals, bugs, lace and of course bling (if you see any of my LO's you will notice too much bling! lol) but I love trying new techniques but at the moment my mojo on scrapping is pretty low after having my second son! I just love looking on S.B. for "ideas" but I never use them!!

Another thing I never got into was cutting the photo's to the person's body or shape (if you know what I mean) then adding things like angel wings and so on - on the pic....

It's making a comeback.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-09-10 09:12 PM
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
This isn't "I hate," but more of I will probably never do. Layouts that tell a huge story in journaling with type that is small. The journaling takes if 3/4 of the page and there is one tiny picture. I hide my journaling if it is a long story probably because I never read it if it seems too long to me. I know scrapping is about the story, I guess I just prefer to read pictures.

That was DD's first year album. 1/2 a page once a month saying what developmental milestones she hit. I love it. I also have just random pages and cute photos spaced in between. DD loves it. She loves me reading the journaling.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-09-10 09:22 PM
In response to whateveriwant

• whateveriwant Said:
I guess I don't know what you mean by "overly designed"?

Cutting out a photo and adding lots of stuff over and around the photo so you have no idea who's in it. I once almost wrote cute dog on a comments section. It wasn't a dog just very bad cropping.

Create a fantasy layout, use a template, add wings fine. But if you can't tell what species is being scrapped step away from the page.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Obi

• obsidian Said:
  • 950nancy Said:

That was DD's first year album. 1/2 a page once a month saying what developmental milestones she hit. I love it. I also have just random pages and cute photos spaced in between. DD loves it. She loves me reading the journaling.

Yes, a baby book would be perfect. My kiddos love hearing about themselves too.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Scrappin Kaz

• Scrappin Kaz Said:

That's very popular in digi scrapping, extracting the person (often children) and superimposing them onto a scene. It can look amazing and is very effective but it's a little overdone IMO..for what it's worth

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Obi

• obsidian Said:
  • 950nancy Said:

do you mean like THIS?????????????

Once Upon a Time By CommaHolly

I don't do many of them,,,,,,in fact, most of my journaling is pretty short and sweet, IF I even journal!!! But this one required it

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

OK, I'll say it,,,I do NOT like the current trend of NUMEROUS photos!!!!!!!

do not like it, not one little tiny bit,,,,,,I want ONE PHOTO to shine,,,one photo to stand out,

once in a blue moon I do a multi photo LO, and I always shock myself when I do!!!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

• Penny Lane Said:
  • SuperAllyFan Said:
  • tinacome Said:

This story must be scrapped...

Yeah, but there are no pics with me and butterflies and there won't be either

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to whateveriwant

• whateveriwant Said:
I don't like super distressed stuff. I like distressing here and there, but some stuff is just all distressing it seems. Everything is torn, sanded, inked and inked and inked.

I think distressing is fine if it's done properly and not on every piece of pp, cs etc, but there are some los I've seen where they've willy-nilly run a black or dark brown ink pad over the edges and it just looks dirty and not distressed in any way!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan

• runzalot81 Said:
  • Scrappin Kaz Said:

It's making a comeback.

I don't get that either

queenofstash
Expert
queenofstash

Flowers on male pages just doesn't float my boat.

Caitlynsmommy
Veteran
Caitlynsmommy

• CommaHolly Said:
OK, I'll say it,,,I do NOT like the current trend of NUMEROUS photos!!!!!!!

do not like it, not one little tiny bit,,,,,,I want ONE PHOTO to shine,,,one photo to stand out,

once in a blue moon I do a multi photo LO, and I always shock myself when I do!!!

See I am the opposite, I will do single and multiple photo layouts but I tend to lean towards multiple, simply because I take so many photos! LOL

Caitlynsmommy
Veteran
Caitlynsmommy
In response to Caitlynsmommy

For me it is the tiny pictures with the entire cluster surrounding it so you cant see the picture, or having to search for a photo, to each his/her own but those pages drive me bonkers!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Caitlynsmommy

Wow, I have a feeling like I want to pack up all my supplies and just QUIT! Holy smokes!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Manda_K

Oh, and I will say this...cause, well, whatever. I do not scrap to look back on pages years later and reminisce, I scrap because it is fun, it let's me play, so I scrap Twilight and Adam and Sweeney Todd, cause is is FUN. That is it.

galoosh
Veteran
galoosh

hee hee hee.... I'm the exact opposite. I like the whole series of pics about the event to be on a double page spread. So the single photo with TONS of bling and embellishments is NOT my cup of tea. I'm too frugal (read: 'cheap') for that.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Wow, I have a feeling like I want to pack up all my supplies and just QUIT! Holy smokes!

Don't do that! I think it's fun to hear all the individual opinions here. Keeps everybody in their place and certainly keeps me from taking myself and my scrapping too seriously. I've cracked up several times reading how strongly people feel about certain styles.

I was looking at one of my recent LOs last night that has some random dragonfly on it and I just smiled. Won't change it!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

HAHA!! Nah, I won't really quit, I am just shocked that ppl "hate" the things I love most! Random stuff, scrapping with no meaning, one pic...more pics...distressing..birds...swirls..bling....*sniff*...it is okay my lovelies....don't cry sweet embellies....

Page 1 of 11 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics