Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New trend you LOVE???        (Topic#1541237)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK, after reading the scrapbooking trends you DIDN'T love,,,,,,

what's a trend you LOVE and/or want to try???

And if anyone says 'stickled pickles" I think I might spit coffee on the screen

I lovvvvvvvvvvvve stick pins!!!!! I'll make and use them on ANYTHING. LO's, cards, minibooks, you name it! I love searching for beads and pearls and crystals to go on them,,,,

so how about you???

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-21-10 01:47 AM
In response to CommaHolly

Moustache rub ons.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Obi

let's see the LO's you used them on, Jude

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Obi

For me it's Steampunk.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Obi

• obsidian Said:
Moustache rub ons.

I think I need to look around the Gallery, because I've yet to spot em (as in, I must be behind on this particular trend!)

I know Elsie uses & or tends to abuse them in her own fun, unique & qwirky way.

Are we drawing them, purchasing them or making them ourselves?

Either which one, I want to see!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to KellyCali

Steam punk intrigues me,,,,not sure exactly how I would APPLY it, but it intrigues me,,,,some of it, I love, and some doesn't catch my eye, but I'd definately like to give it a try sometime!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

Embossing with powders. I've bought lots of powders and the heat gun. I've tried it a couple of times and I love the way it looks.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to debby_westbrook

yes, I agree, Debby! I love embossing with powders, though I tend to do it more on cards than LO's i don't know why

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations

It's not that new but it's new to me I love Stitching on lo's! (it makes me feel cool lol) Seriously I had no luck in the sewing dept in middle school or life but for some reason when it was on paper I love it!

Can't wait for the Sew Easy stuff to come out!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ShaylaCreations

Me too!! Sew easy COME ONE!! Simple enough for me!

Hmmmm...I think that my "newest" trend I am loving is Diamond Dust. And I just got sent a HUGE jar so I think I will have to find even more ways to use it!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Manda_K

I love layouts with stitching on them! I've done some of the some hand sewing myself but am totally in love with the sewing machine look, but scared to death to try it!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tinadn

stitching does nothing for me,,,it's cute, but I have no desire to learn it ;lol: I steer clear of anything even SMACKING of sewing,,,,it's right up there with cooking

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Me too!! Sew easy COME ONE!! Simple enough for me!

Hmmmm...I think that my "newest" trend I am loving is Diamond Dust. And I just got sent a HUGE jar so I think I will have to find even more ways to use it!

Ohhhh where did you get your diamond dust? I see that stuff in the gallery but had no idea what it was called. I want some lol!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker

Like sewing (rarely do it because my sewing machine doesn't have a permanent home and it's a pain to get out)
Love my acrylic stamps and embossing powder
Intrigued by steampunk (but nowhere to use it)
I really do love the owls and nature theme products right now
Still in love with bling (can't wait to find the I-rock in stores)

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23

Holly - how are you making your stick pins? That sounds like a great idea.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations

tina I am scared of the Machine too, no way am I going to try that!!

Holly it's so easy by hand and with paper trust me I couldn't even make a good pillow, but I lacr up some pp lol!!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

I've been stitching up a storm. originally I said no way would I bother to stitch (think bazzill stitching templates). Now I have tons of them and I hand stitch (no sewing machine). I actually find it very soothing/methodical to sew.

there are techniques and trends that are new to me, but they're not new in general. I want to try dry embossing - those various texture plates and what not look so cool.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Tina scraps

what is sew easy?????

and Holly, I also want to know how you make your own stick pins! never even occurred to me, and I hae tons of beads and what not since I (used to) make beaded jewelry.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations

• Tina scraps Said:
what is sew easy?????

and Holly, I also want to know how you make your own stick pins! never even occurred to me, and I hae tons of beads and what not since I (used to) make beaded jewelry.

i posted pictures on my blog of the sew easy and different heads they will seel, but they are not coming out till november or so. here is the link i posted back in july
http://shaylacreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/cha-summer-...

brb I will try to link pics from my blog!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I don't know if these trends are new but I love:

stitching; hand-done only, I don't even own a sewing machine
bling; love stickles, glimmer mist, rhinestones
tearing paper
inking; edging or distress inks
border punches; these are my newest obsession, especially the all-around-the-page ones by Martha Stewart. I've been using them a ton
circles; love love love circles ... use my CM 12x12 circle cutter on far too many LOs
flowers; yes, I know, this is one of the ones people hate, but I adore them and have started using some of the tutorials to make my own
embossing; dry w/ Cuttlebug, or heat embossing, more on cards than LOs, but I love the look
oh, and flourishes, flourishes, flourishes

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to madmatter

Shayla, I got a little with a Swirlydoos kit and then a scrap friend sent me a HUGE amount.

She said they have it at Michaels.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

oh now that's just not fair that they're not out till November! those piercers look cool! and so many designs, I could probably retire all my bazzill templates.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to madmatter

I don't know if mine are new, but they're new to me! lol.

I like perfect pearls, just started experimenting with them.
I love making flowers. It's something simple I can do while watching tv with dh and I love how, since they're hand made, I can make them match any lo. I get my tutorials on YouTube.
I'm also liking stitching. I've done it by hand but I haven't tried machine yet. I'm nervous about messing up either the paper or my machine lol.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to madmatter

Nothing new. I just recycle old trends.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

omg, stick pins are SO EASY to make!!!! you buy headpins, I like the 2.5 inch ones in the jewelry department of J's, about 2 bucks for a bunch,,,,then you buy beads, crystals, pearls, really anything you like,,,,,I buy bags of different toppers too,,,,,you put a tiny drop of glue on the top of the pin right below the head, thread the beads on in the order you want them on (the first one will stick to the glue) and then put another drop of glue right before you thread on the last one,,,,,

let dry, and VOILA,,,,stick pins!!!!

Here's a simple one,,,I'm getting better!

bride By CommaHolly

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

I like pins too!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

I've also strung beads on coil-less safety pins for a different kind of beaded pin,,,

the bottom left green card here has one of those,,,so pretty with pearls, etc,,,and if you have alcohol inks or markers, you can buy plain white anything and color them the color you want to,,,

Christmas cards By CommaHolly

Edited by CommaHolly on 08-21-10 05:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

one warning though, there's many kinds of "headpins",,,some of them have a hook at the top,,,I like the flat regular ones like on a regular old sewing pin. They do make fancy ones with beads already on the top (about 3 bucks for ten), but I'd rather put my own 'top" on them,,,,

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

OMG I probably even have headpins from my jewelry stuff! I am so not good about thinking how to reuse or recycle things I already have.

holly, the ones with the hook on it are probably "eyepins" rather than head pins.

when you say "toppers", is that what they're actually called or just what you use them for? where do you get those?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Just a big bead that you want to use for the top. My pins are about 3" long or so.

Edited by Manda_K on 08-21-10 05:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Manda_K

either a big bead you use for a top, OR they have these little,,,,,,,,caps. I am going today and I will find out EXACTLY what they are called,,,,but they are cupped so they fit right over a pearl or bead of the same size,,,,,or sometimes I buy like filigree silver beads for the top,,,,you can do whatever you like for the top bead though,,,,,my only issue is sometimes the hole in the bead is too large, and it would slide right off the pin, head or none,,,,,so I can't use those as a topper,,,,I can use them for subsequent beads though cuz the topper holds them on,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'm not a jewelry maker so I don't know what everything is called,,,,but I like the little flat things that you can put on to separate two pearls,,,,there's one in the stickpin on the wedding photo, between the two pearls,,,,

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories

I like this thread so much better than the "hate" thread!!

I love:
flowers, inking, stickles, liquid pearls, & bling

Unfortunately, I am surrounded by males, so I try to find interesting ways to use those on my layouts.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to lcmemories

They are called bead caps Holly.

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to madmatter

I love stitching too..but the hand stitching with those Bazzill templates leaves me frustrated. I keep loosing my spot and the paper bends on me. Give me some tips am I doing something wrong??

And I'm really loving inking and chipboard pieces right now!

Holly I so want to make some stick pins...I've seen some and they are gorgeous!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:

uhhhhhhhh yeah, shoulda seen that one coming

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364

I can't wait to try these Holly - thanks so much for explaining them

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Manda_K Said:

uhhhhhhhh yeah, shoulda seen that one coming

Yes, you shoulda. hehee!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Manda_K

Right now I'm into border / edge punches and layers (paper not chickens).

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to scrap4brains

I am loving my distressing inks!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Peg364

• Peg364 Said:
I can't wait to try these Holly - thanks so much for explaining them

YW They are so eassssssssyyyyyyyyyy and cheap too! I get strings of pearls (50-65) for a buck and a half, strings of crystals for 4 bucks, and packages of beads for a couple bucks!!!!

Manda, do you make these?? Any suggestions on how you do it? I'm still a beginner myself and can always use a good tip

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Oh, and all J's jewelry making stuff was 40% off yesterday,,,I THINK the sale goes through to today too, if you wanna pop over there tonight

just sayin

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F

I love the idea of making your own stick pins! Why didn't I think of that?!

Great thread Holly!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Tracy F

Holly, thanks for the inspiration. it totally never occurred to me to do any of that, and I have all the stuff needed to do it! duh tina!

and I'm especially loving border punches these days, too. I've built up my punch stash in the last few months.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty

hmmmm....there are several trends I love in scrapping..
distressing
layering
inking
bling
border punches
...and now I think I'll start on the stick pins! Those sound and look so cool!..thanks, Holly!
I remember in the 80's they were a fashion trend..I wish I still had all of mine...oh, did I just age myself?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

took me weeks of thinking before it dawned on me too, Tina,,,,i started a thread here, and a bunch of people told me how to make them,,,,,,so, see? This site is pretty awesome

I love border punches too, but don't feel the need to have 50,,,,,15-20 would do I think I have 8 right now but one is on the way out,,,DO NOT punch TWO PIECES OF CS at once!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Scrapkaty

• Scrapkaty Said:
hmmmm....there are several trends I love in scrapping..
distressing
layering
inking
bling
border punches
...and now I think I'll start on the stick pins! Those sound and look so cool!..thanks, Holly!
I remember in the 80's they were a fashion trend..I wish I still had all of mine...oh, did I just age myself?

No more than I am already aged

melissadam
Angel
melissadam

I love glimmer mist and border punches! .......I also love all the embossing folders ......I have alot but dont use them hardly at all

cant get into sewing or stick pins .......

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to melissadam

Yeah, I have made a few Holly. Mandy is better than me at making them than I am.

Your technique sounds fine though, it is the same thing I do, I just seal the beads with a crimp bead so they don't fall off instead of gluing it.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Manda_K

Stickles, bling, using butterflies on EVERYTHING I can, embossing and I am really loving ribbon...oh I can't forget the cutting tools too oh and using Modge podge as a glossy accent!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to madmatter

I love all the big border punches and companies coming out with alpha sticker sheets that have more than on alpha or other stuff on them (Basic Grey, Bella Blvd). SO smart and makes our money go a little further.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• CommaHolly Said:
I love border punches too, but don't feel the need to have 50,,,,,15-20 would do I think I have 8 right now but one is on the way out,,,DO NOT punch TWO PIECES OF CS at once!

I'll second that, as I managed to actually break one. Also, DO NOT try and punch any type of thin cardboard.

I completely did it by accident as I was mechanically going through scraps and didn't realize that it just couldn't handle the weight of the particular material.

Woopsie!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to KellyCali

Making the stick pins sounds fascinating...what type of glue?

I'm (still) a punch nut. Love border punches...any kind: fiskars, eks, ms...bring em on.

I ink a lot also...

flagirlof4
Guru
flagirlof4

Jenni bowlin embellishments, my scrapbook store doesn't any of her stuff so I've buying it off Ebay.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to flagirlof4

I don't know if you'd call it a trend, but I love ribbon on a LO.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
Making the stick pins sounds fascinating...what type of glue?

I'm (still) a punch nut. Love border punches...any kind: fiskars, eks, ms...bring em on.

I ink a lot also...

I just use a clear drying liquid glue that's acid free. And I wipe off the excess on the bead before it dries,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Manda, what's a "crimp bead"???

Pickledplum981
Veteran
Pickledplum981
In response to purpledurple

• purpledurple Said:
I love stitching too..but the hand stitching with those Bazzill templates leaves me frustrated. I keep loosing my spot and the paper bends on me. Give me some tips am I doing something wrong??

I'm not sure how you're doing it, or how most people do it in general haha... but what I do is I put my paper flat on a self healing cutting mat on my desk and lay the template where I want it and then proceed to poke the holes with the paper piercer. If you don't have a self healing cutting mat I believe a mousepad will work.

Pickledplum981
Veteran
Pickledplum981
In response to Pickledplum981

Oooh and my new favorite trend that I just discovered is some lil bling called dew drops. I never heard of them before and my LSS had some and they come in the cutest little bottles and I want all the colors now

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker

• Pickledplum981 Said:
  • purpledurple Said:

I'm not sure how you're doing it, or how most people do it in general haha... but what I do is I put my paper flat on a self healing cutting mat on my desk and lay the template where I want it and then proceed to poke the holes with the paper piercer. If you don't have a self healing cutting mat I believe a mousepad will work.

I put my paper on a piece of foam core board or craft foam when I poke holes with a paper piercer.

mdoug!
mdoug! 
New Kid On the Block
mdoug!
In response to madmatter

What about paper piecing? Instead of die cuts, I'm wanting to try some of thsoe cute shapes.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to mdoug!

I'm gonna have to try the stick pins sometime too. Dry embossing also interests me!

New Kid On the Block
In response to madmatter

My big questions is a comparison of the Cricut and the Cuttlebug.

Cuttlebug Embossing

Does anybody have a personal opinion.

I have been learning from the above site. It has helped!

kyky
kyky 
Veteran
kyky
  • kyky on 08-21-10 12:24 PM
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
I like pins too!

me too, I really ADORE them

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to kyky

Love the stickpin...what a great idea. Thanks for passing it along.

kyky
kyky 
Veteran
kyky
  • kyky on 08-21-10 12:28 PM
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
For me it's Steampunk.

can you link some LO "with" steampunk? I'm really curious!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

• CommaHolly Said:

It is a special little bead with a larger middle hole that you crimp at the end of the bead string to keep the beads suspended.

There are different sizes, the largest fits over the pins.

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Shayla, I got a little with a Swirlydoos kit and then a scrap friend sent me a HUGE amount.

She said they have it at Michaels.

What! I was just there! darn it I didn't see it but also wasn't looking. I was soaked by the rain so I was in a rush to get in and out lol!

ShaylaCreations
Mayor
ShaylaCreations

• Tina scraps Said:
oh now that's just not fair that they're not out till November! those piercers look cool! and so many designs, I could probably retire all my bazzill templates.

I know I want those so bad!! I got a sb.com gc for my bday and I am saving some $$ for those! I am so mad I have to wait till november!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-21-10 01:07 PM

• CommaHolly Said:
let's see the LO's you used them on, Jude

Is that a dare? I'll think about it?

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Obi

I really love distressing and misting lately. I'm also getting more into border punches now that I can find them at TJ Maxx! I just started buying chipboard embellies, those are fun too.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
I really love distressing and misting lately. I'm also getting more into border punches now that I can find them at TJ Maxx! I just started buying chipboard embellies, those are fun too.

Wow! I didn't realize they had scrapbooking things! I will have to add that to my list of places to check when hitting my rounds!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

It is a special little bead with a larger middle hole that you crimp at the end of the bead string to keep the beads suspended.

There are different sizes, the largest fits over the pins.

hum, I'll have to see if I can find any,,,,sounds like it's stronger than glue,,,,

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to kyky

• kyky Said:
  • KellyCali Said:
For me it's Steampunk.

can you link some LO "with" steampunk? I'm really curious!

Visit the gallery and search steampunk, you should get some results. And make sure you search the superstore for steampunk or graphic 45 to get an idea of the collection.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to tinadn

• tdn823 Said:
  • Smashley Said:

Wow! I didn't realize they had scrapbooking things! I will have to add that to my list of places to check when hitting my rounds!

You really should check it out. I had to dig around in the last aisle in the back of the store, but I got 2 MS border punches for $5.99 each, 2 MS stamp sets for $1.99 each. They mostly had MS stuff, but they had a lot! Paper packs, stamp sets, embossing powder, albums - it was great! I can't wait to go back in a week and see if they have anything new.

randasue
Guru
randasue

• Pickledplum981 Said:
Oooh and my new favorite trend that I just discovered is some lil bling called dew drops. I never heard of them before and my LSS had some and they come in the cutest little bottles and I want all the colors now

i guess that some things that are new now in some areas of the country are old in others. i discovered dew drops about 2 years ago, and i love them. there were also some items sold in the floral crafting department that looked a little like them, but they were discontinued and some of us bought big bags and swapped around on here. you might could post on the swaps and see if anyone still has some they might want to swap.

for me the latest new thing is the Crafters Companion Templates...you can use them for tracing around and cutting out papers for different shapes, or doodle with them, or use them with glimmer mist. and glimmer mist is new to me, but i am frustrated because i made my own from tutorials, and they worked at first, then they stopped up and i can't get them to work! so i am going to try some canned air like you use to clean your keyboard, like someone here suggested...i hope it works!

i have sewed by hand on some layouts, but i've got a lo i want to sew on the machine...but my dd has my machine and i need to get it back!

here is a layout i made with dew drops. (also known as skittles)
You Have Your Mother's Eyes By Randasue

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to randasue

love love love MS punches, especially the all-around-the-page ones. I get them at M's with a 40 or 50% off coupon.You used to not be able to use them on MS items, but now you can. I'll have to check out my TJ Maxx though, to see if I can pick up a few on the cheap.

Caitlynsmommy
Veteran
Caitlynsmommy
In response to madmatter

For me it is still Kraft paper, I have been using it for years but now that it is "coming back" I still love it. Use it for most of my bases, now sometimes you don't see much of it when I am done but I like how neutral it is to start with. I am also loving the "ledger/ lined" paper look! I heart school supplies (yes I am a dork) so this is perfect for me and helps me keep my journal lines straight! LOL!

Question on the stick pins, how do you NOT stick yourself or others on the cards/layouts/minis?

I have also found awesome deals on Martha Stewart punches and more at Marshall's, check them out if you have them, I just got a corner chomper from We R Memory Keepers for SEVEN DOLLARS!!!!

lmhfin
lmhfin 
Pro
lmhfin
In response to Caitlynsmommy

great post! My fav is handmade flowers!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Caitlynsmommy

• Caitlynsmommy Said:
For me it is still Kraft paper, I have been using it for years but now that it is "coming back" I still love it. Use it for most of my bases, now sometimes you don't see much of it when I am done but I like how neutral it is to start with. I am also loving the "ledger/ lined" paper look! I heart school supplies (yes I am a dork) so this is perfect for me and helps me keep my journal lines straight! LOL!

Question on the stick pins, how do you NOT stick yourself or others on the cards/layouts/minis?

I have also found awesome deals on Martha Stewart punches and more at Marshall's, check them out if you have them, I just got a corner chomper from We R Memory Keepers for SEVEN DOLLARS!!!!

Have you seen the new pp from MME that's all printed on kraft paper?? delicate florals, light pinks and blues and greens printed ON kraft, which gives it an old, distressed look,,,,,very pretty!!!! It's 20 bucks at M's, they don't have it here yet, but you cna use a coupon! It's a LARGE stack too!

as to not sticking yourself, I use headpins which don't have a sharp pointy end,,,,if you use pointy ends, you can clip it off with a wire cutter (which I do often anyway so the bare end doesn't show) OR you can get these little "caps" for the ends,,,,,,,bunch in a package for a couple bucks!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

I used to worry about sticking myself or others by using the pins. Once I started using them though I realized that only an idiot would stick themselves. You really have to go out of your way to rake your hand across the card/LO to stick yourself.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to runzalot81

Yeah, it doesn't make the lo dangerous.

ReginaOklaScrapper
Expert
ReginaOklaScrapper
In response to Manda_K

After reading this thread, I might give stitching a try come November. Maybe I can get my fiance to buy me all of those SewEasy Piercers for my birthday which just happens to be in November. That would really make me want to stitch and I've been to scared to try it by hand without some type of guide.

Edited by ReginaOklaScrapper on 08-22-10 07:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to ReginaOklaScrapper

I think they look great too!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• runzalot81 Said:
I used to worry about sticking myself or others by using the pins. Once I started using them though I realized that only an idiot would stick themselves. You really have to go out of your way to rake your hand across the card/LO to stick yourself.

It's conceivable that it could happen, but usually the tip end is UNDER a pile of flowers or something, so that makes it much harder, I agree, in that case you'd have to rake your hand over it,,,,

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to madmatter

If you guys like diamond dust check out ultra fine clear german glass glitter on the Bay - for the new vintage look Christmas papers it will be great and also mica flakes..... They give an awesome vintage look.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to DaisyButton

I don't know that it is a trend, but I love using my vintage button finds on layouts.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

i love stick pins. i have the stuff to make them, but have been busy and not able to play with my scrappy stuff lately. i also love the vintage and steampunk look..another thing i bought stuff for and haven't played with yet. hopefully i will get to try them out later this week.

other "new" loves for me are:
punches
dew drops
glimmer mist
masking
paint splattering
rose ribbon

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

You can get little clear glass pebbles at Ms or HL in the wedding section and dye them with alcohol ink, drop some in a bag and put a few drops in and roll it around. Custom colors that way.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to purpledurple

• purpledurple Said:
I love stitching too..but the hand stitching with those Bazzill templates leaves me frustrated. I keep loosing my spot and the paper bends on me. Give me some tips am I doing something wrong??And I'm really loving inking and chipboard pieces right now!

I take a pencil and very lightly make a mark between the holes, like connect the dots, the floss usually covers it, if not, just a quick swipe with an eraser.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Manda_K

Oh, Alcohol ink... cool idea

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to leebla

• leebla Said:
  • purpledurple Said:
I love stitching too..but the hand stitching with those Bazzill templates leaves me frustrated. I keep loosing my spot and the paper bends on me. Give me some tips am I doing something wrong??And I'm really loving inking and chipboard pieces right now!

I take a pencil and very lightly make a mark between the holes, like connect the dots, the floss usually covers it, if not, just a quick swipe with an eraser.

Connect the dots is a great idea! I was just using the black lines on the template as a guide, but this is better because you don't have to take your eyes off of your paper.

roxybonds
Veteran
roxybonds
In response to shae516

I love:
Stamping
Sewing/Stitching
Distressing

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to DaisyButton

I love this new "anything goes" mentality to scrapbooking. When I first joined sb.com, the tone was a lot more rigid. It weemed like every post had a acid free/lignin free reference. While I deeply respect those trying to do (nearly) archival work, but I love how people seem to be more open to different styles and materials-- more open to creativity or even more open to the lack of. I guess what I mean is, scrapbooking seems to be more accepting and less "rules".

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to lisymarie

RULES SHMULES!!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-22-10 01:46 PM

• CommaHolly Said:
  • runzalot81 Said:

It's conceivable that it could happen, but usually the tip end is UNDER a pile of flowers or something, so that makes it much harder, I agree, in that case you'd have to rake your hand over it,,,,

I gave up on stick pins because people would goo ooh what a pretty pin pull it out of the lo and stick themselves. So I started using hat pins with cap's on the end. And people would go oh a hat pin pull it out of the lo tear the page.

Some people don't get decoration for the sake of decoration.

But these are the same type of people who must remove staples from any stapled document. You know the type; 'Oh a staple...'

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Obi

HAHAHA!!!!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Manda_K

I wanna try stick pins- I've got all the stuff since I make jewlery. Might need to get some longer head pins tho.

Holly- those beads you put between the other beads, are you ready for this one? They're called "spacer beads". Serious.

Um, I'm currently loving SCAL and my cricut. Trying to find reasons to use them.

Caitlynsmommy
Veteran
Caitlynsmommy

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Caitlynsmommy Said:

Have you seen the new pp from MME that's all printed on kraft paper?? delicate florals, light pinks and blues and greens printed ON kraft, which gives it an old, distressed look,,,,,very pretty!!!! It's 20 bucks at M's, they don't have it here yet, but you cna use a coupon! It's a LARGE stack too!

as to not sticking yourself, I use headpins which don't have a sharp pointy end,,,,if you use pointy ends, you can clip it off with a wire cutter (which I do often anyway so the bare end doesn't show) OR you can get these little "caps" for the ends,,,,,,,bunch in a package for a couple bucks!

Holly I have seen that paper and LOVE IT! I have it but have not used it yet, I was purging and organizing today as I just went on a two week NO BUY challenge with my DH, wish me luck. OF COURSE NOW I want to go get the things for the stick pins, but I will have to wait

Caitlynsmommy
Veteran
Caitlynsmommy

• runzalot81 Said:

That is good to know! THANKS!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics