Username Post: It gripes my cookies        (Topic#1542730)
meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I've been looking through the gallery for almost an hour now, and it seems like everything I look at -- be it LO or card -- has no description on it or even a simple list of the products used. I saw a perfectly beautiful reindeer card... do I know where to get it (Cricut?) or how to make it (on chipboard or not)? Noooooo! I can see people not being detailed about their list (I can never remember what kind of pp I use) but I wish that they'd remember that there are those of us who are clueless out here and want to know more about your wonderful LO/card!!

My cookies have now finished being griped. Thank you for your attention to this small rant.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to meezerpleaser

I understand your feelings and certainly get the need to rant every now and then...but as a person who never includes details such as that let me say that it takes time to list those things and I honestly doubt the dozen or so people who look at my stuff care much. If they did they can always pm me and ask specific questions which I would be happy to answer as best I can.

Really I do get it though. I love to scraplift and its so much easier if they tell me exactly what I need to know or what exactly that swirl or flower is.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to disneylisa

hhmmm I've never heard of cookies being griped

I see both ways - sometimes I wish I knew what products someone used, but I also know it takes time to list it all. I try to list them many times, but don't always have the time or patience.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Tina scraps

you can always message the scrapper and ask them what they used!

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to Tina scraps

I list my products as I scrap. I have a pad of paper dedicated to it.

I often buy products or scraplift something because of the products listed.

I think it is a good idea to list your products - not long ago, I got a new computer. Had I not listed my fonts along the way, I wouldn't know what they were called so that I could download them again onto the new computer.

candy.queen
Expert
candy.queen
In response to Just G

I always used to detail how I'd done something but stopped as I thought people would think I was rambling...

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to candy.queen

I list what I remember. I hardly have time to scrap to begin with so the last thing on my mind is worrying about what products I am using.
I don't think I have ever seen something on a layout and not been able to figure out where to get it or something similiar.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to candy.queen

Ramble away!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to mrsmiller

• mrsmiller Said:
I list my products as I scrap. I have a pad of paper dedicated to it.

I often buy products or scraplift something because of the products listed.

I think it is a good idea to list your products - not long ago, I got a new computer. Had I not listed my fonts along the way, I wouldn't know what they were called so that I could download them again onto the new computer.

I have a section in a three ring binder where I have all of my fonts printed in their font so that I can see what style font I want to use and access it quickly once I turn on my computer. I thought I was just being OCD when I did this, didn't realize anyone else did the same thing.

Lots of times I might not list all of my products because I am guilty of stashing supplies for a long time before using it and then forgetting what line the paper came from.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

- I think many scrappers in the middle of mass-producing are either in a hurry or quite frankly just don't have the time.

- I'm split on the details. I do love to know, but then again, I don't always have to know.

- As already mentioned above, I'm sure if you leave a message on their front page or pm the scrapper (vs. their Gallery where they might miss it), they would almost always be more than willing to tell you about their project, the products they used & or the process.

- One last tip is to check their front page for a blog link, which usually includes all the good details!

Hope That Helps!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to KellyCali

When I scraplift my intention usually isn't make an exact replica. I usually take one or two elements and try to use those in my layouts. I got the book Lifted free when I ordered back in July, great book that explains just that concept.
Products Referenced in This Post:

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

When I get new supplies I immediately take them out of their packaging and put them away. Most of the time I don't have a clue what I have or even where I got it. I'm even guilty of snipping off that nice information strip some PP dealers include.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to dwelch

I'm pretty much in Lucinda's camp here. I always take a few moments to link the products I've used and a brief (or sometimes not-so-brief) description of what I did or the journaling or something. Otherwise I feel like I'm just tossing my project out there, naked in the wilderness. I do this for two reasons: I enjoy reading about other people's cards and layouts, and also it's helpful to me when I can't remember a specific product but know I've used it in the past. I can go back through my gallery and find what I'm looking for.

Lisa

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 09-13-10 03:35 PM

I sort my papers by manufacturer not by what style the PP is. So I don't upload many traditional layouts because I don't know what I have used.

Sarahcuda
Tenant
Sarahcuda
In response to Obi

I don't care so much about listing products, but I do like it when people write out thier journaling if it isn't readable in the scan of the layout. I hate seeing a cool LO but not being able to get the story/explanation of what it is about

chicarella
Expert
chicarella
In response to Sarahcuda

I don't list what I've used because most of it is no longer available so what would be the point? If it is a newer product, I do list it.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to chicarella

I don't mention it much because I'm most of the time using all of my very very old stuff. But, I'm always willing to answer questions including what color copics I use.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to Sneezy1956

I understand the frustration. One thing you can do if there is something you really like, PM that person and ask. Everyone is really nice here and I have never once had someone deny my requst when asking about their LOs.

I try to remember to do this but I often forget..

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann

I don't have the majority of my products listed because I'm lucky I get the time to upload them here to share with you ladies. However, anyone is more than welcome to ask me, because I do list each of my products out in a notebook I have with all of my layouts listed. I am also in the process of attaching notecards to the backs of each layout with my supplies listed. I'm sorry I don't do it, but you can always ask me!

Audrey04
Resident
Audrey04
In response to ehammann

I don't even know what products are used because first thing I do is rip them out of the packages and put them in my bins. I really couldn't care less who made the product.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Audrey04

Gripes your cookies, I've never heard that before I like it!

I've been SBing for just a bit so I understand the desire to get the info. I love it when someone puts a link to a tutorial in their description. Or gives a bit of detail about an embellie. I however, don't really put much in the description. My pages are still pretty basic so I figure, you ladies all know exactly what's happening in my LOs.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Audrey04

I too, rip stuff out of packages, and put right away. And I snip off the strip on the pp's too! But if I see something I like, I copy it onto plain paper, and carry it around my scrap area looking for similiar stuff to use. That way I'm not totally copying the LO, just using picture placement, colors, embellies etc for inspiration!

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Audrey04

if it's in the superstore, i'll link them to a lo i post. other times, i just forget where i got them or who makes them. or the store stopped (or never did) sell them. but if someone asks q's about where i got my ribbon, chipboard, etc i'm more than happy to tell them if i remember. despite scrapping whenever i can i haven't posted work since 2008. lol. so i suppose it's more forgetting to post work in general for me, let alone the details. lol.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to queenofstash

I tend to always describe me projects as much as possible! Not always can I remember the papers I used but usually I do know the maker of the paper. Even with a small card I tend to put the products used. But having said that, I can fully understand why some wont do that. It does take a lot of time to state everything you used and i have found meself pm'ing the artist with the questions of what they used n stuff...

Dont hesitate to ask! One thing I have found out over the time being on SB is that the majority on here are friendly and kind enough to answer any question you may have on their project.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to TheCharmedOne

I can remember what I used so I try to list what I can. A lot of my products come from kits that have a list for me...heehee!! OR the store doesn't have it. But I list what I can.

Cari F
Cari F 
Veteran
Cari F
In response to Audrey04

I think it's nice to list products-it's hard to go and search and try to guess what people used. I understand your frustration!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to Sarahcuda

• Sarahcuda Said:
I don't care so much about listing products, but I do like it when people write out thier journaling if it isn't readable in the scan of the layout. I hate seeing a cool LO but not being able to get the story/explanation of what it is about

I am the same way! lol, I will ask them about it too.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to Audrey04

edited.

Edited by akentuckygal on 10-25-10 12:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Audrey04

I like when people list the products ... if I love the pp/embellishments used, I want to know how to buy them.

And I especially love when people link to a blog/tutorial so I can steal the ideas as well!

lstory 
Mayor
In response to madmatter

It's not just the products, though. I'm interested in what the journaling says, any particular techniques people use, little details behind the process of putting together the page.

Lisa

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-14-10 10:57 AM
In response to lstory

I've had a lot of my supplies forever and have no idea what they are, other than the obvious (such as red cardstock, blue ink, etc).

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-14-10 11:50 AM
In response to LeeLo

I feel the pain of the original poster. I like to know everything and I always want to buy new stuff. :-) So, if someone uploads a layout and I love their pp, I want to know what pp it is so I can buy some too.

Also, I love when people write a description that tells the story about the page (unless the story is obvious or the journaling visible and easy to read). I find it frustrating when people upload something intriguing, then say nothing about it.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to IzzyB

LOL I will sometimes write a good description and other times...not so much!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

Hmmmmm.... What is my opinion?

When I post things with no description, it's my way of saying: "neener, neener, neener, look what I can do, and I'm not telling you how!"

(I am kidding.)

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to Bxr-Linda

I don't put my materials down b/c my stuff is so old it's not available anymore (probably) and I figured my lo's aren't the kind anyone cares about.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to lisymarie

I'm with an earlier poster, if it's in the Superstore I list it, if not I don't except I try to list my Cricut carts, it helps me to remember which one(s) I used. I like to see what other people use as well.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to scrap4brains

i do a mix of everything.

if i want the journaling to be read, i will type it in the description. sometimes the journaling is more personal and i like showing its there, but not have it legible.

if i like the product i will link it in the LO. but i rarely have time to spend listing all the things i used. nap times are only 2 hours and i use it to scrap and upload.

i have PMd people about things i see in the gallery. projects, scrap areas, avatars, etc. they have always been so nice and generous about the info they reply back with.

either way, the gallery is awesome.

darkchami
Pro
darkchami

I also appreciate when people are detailed. I do actually stop and read what they write. I also like to know what products I suddenly "need."

Sometimes I get a little lazy. On some days the trip upstairs to look up exactly what I used is just too much for me.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to darkchami

When I tried to upload my LO's or cards - it wouldn't let me list it. I tried 2 or 3 times but nothing.

mgiov
mgiov 
Mayor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 09-16-10 06:45 AM
In response to Audrey04

I list as I go along.
I also write up my description as I'm doing the layout, so it's basically copy and paste by the time that I post it. I also print it out and tuck it behind the page when I store it because I'm horrible at journaling.
I do appreciate product lists and descriptions but I understand that it takes a lot of time to post it all....

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to mgiov

I try to post descriptions and products as much as possible. I read and appreciate everyone's details, so I figure I should post my own.

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to Peg364

I do not scrap for the benifit of anyone but me and family / friends who might be looking at my books....so I do not even think about what other's might want to know (man, I sound selfish...I have never had a family member ask me what line of paper I used, etc). I am happy to answer PMs, etc and I do link to products occasionaly...but really? that takes too much time and I would rather use that time scrapping, shopping, or reading the MBs.

Tiffany

scrapbooksuzieq
Pro
scrapbooksuzieq
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

I don't list what I use because most of the time I can't remember what company it comes from. I have this nasty habit of taking things out of the package as soon as I get it home.

Colombean
Guru
Colombean
In response to Audrey04

I dont need to know the whole list, just the techniques used.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to Colombean

When I look at other people's layouts, I like knowing at least what products were used because then I can usually figure out what techniques were used. I appreciate that it takes a long time to post the details (sometimes I post a lot of details and other times I just link a few products), but I find it enhances the overall gallery experience. But if the details aren't there and I'm curious, I'll just ask the person via pm.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Peg364

I always include a description, and try to list a few of the key products, with emphasis on new stuff -- if its old, I'll say stash in the description... I'm one of those people that read that stuff, and love to read the journaling and story... I rarely straight lift.... more often than not I pull one or two elements and use them to "inspire" my design...

nancydotcom
Veteran
nancydotcom

I just now read this. I know what you're saying and I'm glad you brought it up. I would love it if I just knew what paper line someone used, if nothing else. As a new scrapper I can learn a lot by just looking, and I'm glad some members have said that we could just ask them! I wouldn't have done that but now maybe I'll try it. I guess for a beginner its hard to know where to start, so I just adore those artists that list the products used. They are my heros! I realize it must be a lot of work and I appreciate it. And I've been known to immediately power search and purchase those things listed because I can already see just how beautifully they go together and how they work out on a page. Seeing is believing; many times I've searched in vain for products that I've no idea what brand etc. it is. But if I know what line, then I can go find it somewhere, and that brings me back to a favorite online store!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to nancydotcom

I buy lots and lots of my patterned papers from Joanns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby and most don't have identifiying strips about the company that made it. And I don't remember which store I got it from - it may have been in my stash for years. I rarely buy stacks, I buy one sheet at a time and sometimes I cut them off right away.

I used tye-died paper recently that was awesome - very textured, almost like a fabric. Perfect for 60's or 70's layouts. A lot of people have asked what that is - I have no idea. It was in my stash and never had a strip on it with a name or company name.

I'm sorry, but 3/4 of my papers - I don't have a clue what they are and I have thousands and thousands of sheets of patterned paper.

One of my friends asked me one time what kind of punch I used. I have a full bin of punches so I started digging to find it. I found it - and I also found out that punches are not marked with a name or number so I had no idea what it was. Fortunately it was a relatively new one so I went to a couple stores and found it and was able to write down the name. But that is one that gripes my cookies (I love that, never heard it before) - companies don't put the pattern name or item number or anything on items like punches.

I too take everything out of wrappers as soon as I'm home with them so I'm not much help at identifiying what I used.

For those who type out in the description any journaling on the layouts - thank you. I love to read the journaling too. I do my journaling on the computer and when I post I just copy paste my journaling in the description box. I really enjoy that part of the layouts everyone posts as much as the layouts!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Audrey04

I don't list everything because it just takes too long,,,,,I'll usually list the important things like paper and stamps,,,,,,

and I always leave a link to my blog where there's a ton more info.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

and to HJ,,,for the LIFE of me, I can't figure out why punch companies don't embed the name of the punch in the plastic,,,,,,geez.

embossing folders too, for that matter,,,I usually know if it's a TH or a CB folder,,,,,,but the NAME? forget it.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Henri Jean

When I get new supplies I immediately take them out of their packaging and put them away. Most of the time I don't have a clue what I have or even where I got it. I purchase from 5 places - the superstore here, M's, HL, Paper Wishes and Creative Memories. Those 5 places have provided everything I could ever need/want and more.

For me, it's more about the "Design" of what people post and not so much the specific papers/products they used.

If I see something posted in the galleries that I like, I don't ever try to copy it exactly piece for piece. I enjoy "shopping" through my stash of stuff to make something similar in design.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Shutterbugg

Several months ago I made samples of all my punches and then spent hours and hours on the interent - one site after another until I identified them all. Some have been discontinued for years but checking ebay, Amazon, and a dozen scrapbook sites as well as the Martha Stewart and Fiskar's sites for the current ones, they are finally in my 3-ring binder for reference.

Life would be much easier if they just embedded them in the plastic. Holly, we should start a campaign because for the life of me, I don't see why they don't do that either.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Henri Jean

Sometimes I am an idiot savant with remembering paper lines. My scrapping friends think it is funny. I am great at remembering nonessential details. Yesterday I forgot to make the gravy to go with the turkey. That was essential.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

That is funny. More than once I forgot to put the rolls on the table and one time (not a Thanksgiving)we had company for dinner. I peeled 5 pounds of mashed potatoes and cooked and mashed them.

I put them in the microwave so I could nuke them a few minutes before serving to reheat them and forgot them. Found them in the microwave 2 or 3 days later - a full 5 pounds of fluffy mashed potatoes.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics