Page 2 of 7 
Username Post: {The ABC's of Organization Support Group}        (Topic#1544033)
Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Tina scraps

did I mention that my scrap desk is such a mess, that I actually scrap on the dining room table most of the time, and there's stuff all over it and has been for literally a year? (we don't have kids and bf's nasty bird doesn't get around much, he works in restaurant and eats there, so we don't use table)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

OK, so that's 2 for working at the table, so far.

I hear ya ladies & can relate & sympathize.

I have a super small desk.

My motto is, Have Tools, Will Scrap (Anywhere!)

The problem (for me) and this concept, is having to then transfer my mess & find a home for it (that is, if its lucky enough to get one)...Yes, I'm sad to admit, it usually doesn't always happen right away!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
type of space: Bf and I share an office/scrap room.

themes/colors: white walls, the only decorations besides our "stuff" are his anime posters (don't get me going, lol).

challenge: my biggest challenge is actually putting stuff back, but I think it's because not everything actually has an assigned home, and I can never seem to figure out a system that works for me.

My current project has been labeling containers/drawers to things have a defined home.

Congrats on the continued purging & organization Tina!

Sharing Space w/Others! - Offhand, hopefully, Nati (from the list) will be able to join us. I know she shares a space with her husband. Same for Karen, but I know she's in the middle of a huge organizational makeover right now, but I think her hubby sweetly gave up his portion of the room.

We'll have to ask & find out more if & when both ladies stop by.

Walls - As for the walls, I think in the case of any possible painting or wall borders...those items would both be a task to try and work on before anything else.

Being a military spouse, I move way too often to bother to paint, so white is all I seem to know. In my case, basically, I need to get some pieces on the wall, but ultimatley have yet to really get it all done the way that I would like! (clock, frames & artwork = then I'll finally be done!)

Some questions or ideas to consider might be...

- What types of plans do we have for our wallspace? (if any).

- How much space is there to be used/or filled up?

- Are you a visual storage or hidden storage type of scrapper?

- When thinking of the walls, What all would you like to see on them?...
Shelving?....Decorative curtain rods? (for Layout displays, tools, D.I.Y. Clip-It up, etc?)....
Shadowboxes?...Framed Art?...Collectibles?
Photos?...Or perhaps signs & handmade craft projects?

Cleanup - If you are basically traveling from 1 location to another...as an idea, you might try either scrapping from a rolling tote, a craft tote/cart or even a rolling kitchen cart.

If floor space is an issue (in the case of any possible rolling storage),
1) you could keep your tools in a carry tote...
2) assign your scraps a scrap bin...
3) 12x12 paper to a paper bin...
4) & any other leftover misc embellies & such to a work tray, basket or box.

Labels - What are you currently using? Do you have a certain shape, color or style that you would like to use? Eitherway & if so, we can be sure to post & keep a list of some various free printable labels & such!

HTH!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to KellyCali

current space: scrapping "corner" in the family room with Expedit shelves and desk and a rolling cart
style/colors/themes: all the furniture in my corner is black and the family room is olive
biggest challenge: zero wall space ... the shelves take up one wall of the corner, and there's no room to put anything on the wall behind my chair. Also, to get to the shelves under the desk, I have to move the chair out of the way and crawl underneath

what's working for me: cropper hoppers for cs in rainbow color order, small drawers for chipboard alphas, arranged by letter
what's not: no space to keep glimmer mist vertical, drawers are not properly labeled, rest of family uses my scrap desk as a dumping ground

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to madmatter

uhoh. is glimmer mist supposed to be kept vertical? lol

K, it has felt so liberating to purge! I just mailed a medium size priority mail box of scrap stuff to a friend, who is teaching a scrapbook class at a local elementary school. I gave a coworker a massive amount of patterned paper - and mind you, that was from a 3rd round purge, I had already purged some!

I have to say, reading this thread has already motivated me today, cause I finished cleaning off most of the dining room table and wiped it down. talk about a visual improvement!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
I have to say, reading this thread has already motivated me today, cause I finished cleaning off most of the dining room table and wiped it down. talk about a visual improvement!

Yay!! That's terrific!!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

I think another one of my challenges is that I share space for both scrapping and quilting (both hobbies take up a lot of room) and my furniture is mismatched and doesn't "work together" very well. I think I need to come up with some sort of design plan and work towards achieving that...

I have small amounts of wall space and natural light from the living room window. I have one large wall, but can't put up anything permanent because when I'm working on a quilting project it becomes my design wall...

We didn't eat at our table for close to six months when I wasn't putting away my stuff. Now it's put away and we eat there, but I don't craft because everything is put away and I can't see it... guess I'm very visual that way.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Sarah-Scraps

• Sarah-Scraps Said:

Type of Space - half a room
Colours/Style/Theme - my room is all white, and my creations, and scrappy goodies are the colour
Main Challenge - Neat containers that keep my things safe from little fingers!

Sarah...

- Do you have organizational containers or organizational/container type stores where you are located?
- Are you in need of certain kinds? (plastic, fabric, baskets, wood, latched, clear or colored?)
- Where will you put them?
- What will you put in them?
- And or what sizes are you looking for (or dream of?)

Note: You know I'm asking so I can be on the lookout!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Katherine, I'm heading over to your scraproom to take a closer look!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

Ok, but there's not much to look at...

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to klsteven

Thanks for your suggestions Kelly, they were really great!

That sewing cabinet is full of all kinds of fantastic fabric and pins and scissors and quilting stuff... sometimes I just like to pull the drawers open and look at everything!

My bookshelf is a little more organized now... but I do still need to work on labeling things and some matching storage containers would be nice. Right behind it is the refrigerator, so there isn't much of an option for more storage space there.

The desk is my nemesis... do I put a bunch of work in to making it work for me or do I just get a new desk?? I'm thinking an L-shaped desk with a flat surface for crafting on under the window would be nice... but I don't have the finances to make a big furniture investment right now.

I guess I should update my photos a little...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to klsteven

Hi Katharine!

Trust me, I'm completely all about repurposing & trying not to buy a single thing! I consider it a welcomed challenge & literally love to brainstorm until something finally works!

As I think you may have already mentioned somewhere above, sometimes just moving things around can give you an entirely different look.

So keeping along those lines, how about moving the desk (even with the curtains)...And moving the sewing cabinet/table & or nearby side table to the corner where the computer desk currently is?

You could either place everything in 1 row (the desk, the cabinet & the sewing cabinet) OR the 2 smaller cabinets/table to form a corner L (as in a sewing corner).

I think you mentioned you had another 2-drawer cabinet. Is that for crafts or could it be kept next to the computer desk if moved?

Hopefully, this makes sense!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Katharine, I forgot to ask.

Do they have something similar to Craigslist in Canada? How about Thrift Stores or places where you can possibly find materials for free?

Mainly asking because I could see you reusing & repurposing a couple of pieces of good wood. If so, you could probably get away with...

1) making 2 small shelves for your current desk

2) making yourself the desired L-shaped desk out of your smaller cabinet & shelf (if they are the same height?) by using a large piece of wood or an old door

3) adding a piece to the back of your larger bookshelf or making 2 closing cabinet doors which would provide a bit more privacy vs. open storage.

Um, easier said than done, but just some ideas if you were to come across such materials!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

So many good suggestions!

I have an hour and a half before I have to go pick up my son from cadets... so I'm going to have a go at this mess and see what I can come up with. I'll post updated pics if I come up with anything good.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to klsteven

• klsteven Said:
I think another one of my challenges is that I share space for both scrapping and quilting (both hobbies take up a lot of room) and my furniture is mismatched and doesn't "work together" very well. I think I need to come up with some sort of design plan and work towards achieving that...

I have small amounts of wall space and natural light from the living room window. I have one large wall, but can't put up anything permanent because when I'm working on a quilting project it becomes my design wall...

We didn't eat at our table for close to six months when I wasn't putting away my stuff. Now it's put away and we eat there, but I don't craft because everything is put away and I can't see it... guess I'm very visual that way.

I think being that the desk & the curtains match, they work well. I also can spot a bit of brown, from the curtain rod above. Greyish blue & brown go work well together. I think you could play off of those 2 colors, just by including either material, fabric, ribbon or buttons within your space.

Ideas...

- Do-It-Yourself ribbon tiebacks

- Coordinating sheets/quilts/fabric or runners over any undesired surfaces

- Mini quilts for the wall (Either strung, framed or hung on hangers)

- Framed artwork

- Framed button collection (in honor of your grandmother!)

- You can even use some of your albums or books to decorate & pull in some coordinating color

- The key here is to use or create from what you already have;

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

OK, I think I'm all caught up Katharine.

Good Luck & already looking forward to your plans! Yay!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Sidenote for all.

Since there will most likely be an array of topics discussed on any given day...

Something that everyone might find especially helpful is to post & or repost a short Daily To-Do List.

We'll say, no less than 3 items, but no more than 5 (just so we don't overdo it!)

p.s. If you don't complete your chosen items for the day, please feel free to just carry them over until the following day & or until you can offically cross them off!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I'm going to keep it super simple today...

Kelly's To Do List

1. Clean off my desk
2. Clean up the floor
3. Empty the trash

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Hi Nancy,

We're over here!

Here's hoping you find us!

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to KellyCali

That's a good idea! My three for today:

1. clean off the computer desk
2. clean up the flat surfaces of my quilting area
3. clean up the floor

(sounds like lots, but it's not)

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to klsteven

Found you! And I so need to update the photos in my gallery....the ones of my scrappy space.

I share space with my husband. I have about..2/3 of a room. The room is a champagne yellow with yellow, blue and burgundy accents.

my main challenge would be the organization of embellishments...not flowers. my flowers are beautiful...as are my buttons and ribbons. I guess it is the packaged things. rub ons, alphas, bling.

what works? my paper storage, flower storage, buttons, brads, eyelets, ribbons.

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to KellyCali

I really need to do this so count me in!!

1. Type Of Space -a desk in the bedroom and small spot in baby's closet for storage
2. Colors/Style/Themes - trying to stay neutral
3. Main Challenge -I am pulling out and putting away all my stuff constantly and it is really putting a damper on my creativity. My other challenge is that I know we will be moving in less than a year so I need my storage to be easily transformable/portable

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
OK, so while we wait for the others to arrive...

Let's start off with the following question.

1. What are some things that are currently working for you? (please list)

2. Followed by, What are some things that are NOT working for you? (please also list)

What is currently working is that I do have some things seperated into boxes which are labeled (this works except for embellies for me-see below.) The other thing that really works for me is keeping my paper seperated into page kits instead of in stacks.

What isn't working is that I scrap by color and am finding that I hate digging through the box of ribbon to find something red. I want to organize better by how I scrap.

I'll be sure to take some pics so you can all see

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
I'm going to keep it super simple today...

Kelly's To Do List

1. Clean off my desk
2. Clean up the floor
3. Empty the trash

now, the only thing on this list that seems "easy" to me is empty the trash lol!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

I did, however, get a bunch of stuff off the dining room table, and wiped down the table.

I also swept the living room floor, which besides bird feathers (bf's parrot), had little shreds of paper from the cricut and various cutting projects all over the floor, lol.

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l

I posted a pic in my gallery of my scrap desk. http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/434053/view /2942285/...
Not much and needs lots of help! btw, we rent so the walls are blank-boring I know! There is no wall space to the left of the desk and just about a foot and a half to the right limiting expansion that way too! Coming up with a solution is something I've been working on for a long time so this should help me get on track! so glad I found this thread!

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to melissa*l

1. What are some things that are currently working for you? (please list) Photos are organized in photo boxes so I can scrap them when I find my desk again. Small bits of ribbon are organized so they can be found and used. It's the rolls of ribbon I have issues with!

2. Followed by, What are some things that are NOT working for you? (please also list)

Using my bulletin boards for holding my embellishments. Thought I would use them if I could see them. Nope, they became decorations for the wall! And the above mentioned ribbon rolls issue.

To do list:
1. Move drawer units
2. Dust
3. Start moving stuff on shelves

And I did do some dusting. Much more in the future as I hate to dust and put it off as much as possible. I did move the drawer units and started moving the stuff on the shelves.

I also posted some more current pictures of my scrapping space. It is in a sad state of affairs. I'll try to take some more tomorrow to share on the 'progress' I am making.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

I love love organization & as Kelly is so aware of I can talk about it anytime!!

1. Type Of Space - Spare bedroom... My scrapspace shares the room with my computer area for school
2. Colors/Style/Themes - mostly black with splashes of color, I love it to mostly be splashes of PINK!
3. Main Challenge - My main challenge is selecting the way that I want to organize!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

1. What are some things that are currently working for you? (please list)..... My favorite storage (that I haven't gotten tired of) is my ribbon storage!

I am in the midst of a room remodel... so I will have all new pics soon My ribbon collection is so out of control right now!

There are so many things not working for me, hence the remodel
- Scissor storage
- Stickles
- Cuttlebug folders
- Ink pads
- Paper scraps
- Tools
[/list]

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066

• Tina scraps Said:
  • KellyCali Said:

what's working for me: things that are easy to group and can fill a container (whether it's small or big) on their own. My buttons have their own cases, glimmer mist and alcohol inks in small stackable cases, alphas have several drawers of their own.

what's not working:
One factor is I go to crops every month, sometimes more often. So I grab specific items I want (ie a bunch of purple embellishments) out of their cases, because I don't want to bring the whole case with me. there's a lot of in and out with my stuff.

sorting/organizing paper. I recently got rid of a vertical shelving system, because I never put things back where they belonged and couldn't find anything anyway. I switched to those 12x12 plastic cases, a couple for cardstock ( which currently are not sorted in anyway) and a couple for patterned paper. those are at least easier to fit in the room, don't take up so much space.

"random" things or stuff I don't keep a lot of - minor amounts of baby/wedding embellies, birthday, etc. they don't warrant a container of their own, but then I lose track of them.

I'm also conflicted about wanting clear storage, so I can see everything, or storage that looks pretty, but then I can't see what's in it.

Tina have you thought about possibly doing a map to your scrap area... so you can have all the pretty containers and when you want something, look at the map and you will know exactly where to go! Or you could label your pretty containers!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
OK, so that's 2 for working at the table, so far.

I hear ya ladies & can relate & sympathize.

I have a super small desk.

My motto is, Have Tools, Will Scrap (Anywhere!)

The problem (for me) and this concept, is having to then transfer my mess & find a home for it (that is, if its lucky enough to get one)...Yes, I'm sad to admit, it usually doesn't always happen right away!

Until just recently, with the purchase of my Ikea Expedite desk combo... I scrapped sitting on a futon with a end table in front of me. I feel your pain!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • Tina scraps Said:
type of space: Bf and I share an office/scrap room.

themes/colors: white walls, the only decorations besides our "stuff" are his anime posters (don't get me going, lol).

challenge: my biggest challenge is actually putting stuff back, but I think it's because not everything actually has an assigned home, and I can never seem to figure out a system that works for me.

My current project has been labeling containers/drawers to things have a defined home.

Congrats on the continued purging & organization Tina!

Sharing Space w/Others! - Offhand, hopefully, Nati (from the list) will be able to join us. I know she shares a space with her husband. Same for Karen, but I know she's in the middle of a huge organizational makeover right now, but I think her hubby sweetly gave up his portion of the room.

We'll have to ask & find out more if & when both ladies stop by.

Walls - As for the walls, I think in the case of any possible painting or wall borders...those items would both be a task to try and work on before anything else.

Being a military spouse, I move way too often to bother to paint, so white is all I seem to know. In my case, basically, I need to get some pieces on the wall, but ultimatley have yet to really get it all done the way that I would like! (clock, frames & artwork = then I'll finally be done!)

Some questions or ideas to consider might be...

- What types of plans do we have for our wallspace? (if any).

- How much space is there to be used/or filled up?

- Are you a visual storage or hidden storage type of scrapper?

- When thinking of the walls, What all would you like to see on them?...
Shelving?....Decorative curtain rods? (for Layout displays, tools, D.I.Y. Clip-It up, etc?)....
Shadowboxes?...Framed Art?...Collectibles?
Photos?...Or perhaps signs & handmade craft projects?

- Cleanup - If you are basically traveling from 1 location to another...as an idea, you might try either scrapping from a rolling tote, a craft tote/cart or even a rolling kitchen cart.

If floor space is an issue (in the case of any possible rolling storage),
1) you could keep your tools in a carry tote...
2) assign your scraps a scrap bin...
3) 12x12 paper to a paper bin...
4) & any other leftover misc embellies & such to a work tray, basket or box.

Labels - What are you currently using? Do you have a certain shape, color or style that you would like to use? Eitherway & if so, we can be sure to post & keep a list of some various free printable labels & such!

HTH!

I did share a space with my DH... it was hideous!! I would never show a pic of the room as a whole I have an embarrassing amount of stuff (Hello, my name is Karen and I am a shopping addict)

DH had horror movie action figures displayed on the walls (in between my shelving for flowers and etc...) a huge futon from his bachelor days that he refused to part with, full sized keyboard, 3 guitars, and video game posters (Yes, I am married to a teenager, lol... not really, but I think him getting rid of the stuff of his youth is him admitting that we are slowly getting older!

I slowly started taking over the room... I did not kick him out, but every once in awhile, I would move his stuff around on the walls to create more space for me. Eventually... we had the discussion of, "I actually use the SB stuff you don't use or care about the horror action figures, so he agreed to moving them to the walls of the walk in closet of the spare bedroom that weren't really being used! We moved the keyboard to our bedroom and we displayed the guitars in the hallway (it so feels like Hard Rock)!!

My compromise is that I kept futon and worked the area around it!! I also had a large yard sale and I got a lot of my old high schoolish stuff out of the house (mostly from closets and under the bed) and Bryan (DH) took the hint and did the same!

As for the white walls Kelly... I completely understand, we live in a town house that is managed, so we are not allowed to paint. My suggestion is to work with it!! It is a BIG reason why I went with my 2 fav colors (black & pink) they are so bold and it is nice to have a neutral palette behind such boldness!

Ladies... welcome to Kelly's wonderful world of brainstorming!!! It is endless and she is wonderful!! XO Kelly!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
current space: scrapping "corner" in the family room with Expedit shelves and desk and a rolling cart
style/colors/themes: all the furniture in my corner is black and the family room is olive
biggest challenge: zero wall space ... the shelves take up one wall of the corner, and there's no room to put anything on the wall behind my chair. Also, to get to the shelves under the desk, I have to move the chair out of the way and crawl underneath

what's working for me: cropper hoppers for cs in rainbow color order, small drawers for chipboard alphas, arranged by letter
what's not: no space to keep glimmer mist vertical, drawers are not properly labeled, rest of family uses my scrap desk as a dumping ground

Have you considered (if possible in your space) reversing the expedite desk... put the shelf unit out and the table leg side next to the wall? This is what I wanted to do with my desk, but it just didn't work in my space

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066

• Tina scraps Said:
uhoh. is glimmer mist supposed to be kept vertical? lol

K, it has felt so liberating to purge! I just mailed a medium size priority mail box of scrap stuff to a friend, who is teaching a scrapbook class at a local elementary school. I gave a coworker a massive amount of patterned paper - and mind you, that was from a 3rd round purge, I had already purged some!

Glimmer Mist can be kept vertical or horizontal... it just literally doesn't matter! The only thing that matters, when it comes to GM, is that when your mixing it up before use... twirl the bottle not shake I hope that helps! I think I am about to re-organize my GM storage... when it gets done I will post pics!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • Tina scraps Said:

Yay!! That's terrific!!

I 2nd the YAY!!!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Hi Katherine!

Trust me, I'm completely all about repurposing & trying not to buy a single thing! I consider it a welcomed challenge & literally love to brainstorm until something finally works!

As I think you may have already mentioned somewhere above, sometimes just moving things around can give you an entirely different look.

So keeping along those lines, how about moving the desk (even with the curtains)...And moving the sewing cabinet/table & or nearby side table to the corner where the computer desk currently is?

You could either place everything in 1 row (the desk, the cabinet & the sewing cabinet) OR the 2 smaller cabinets/table to form a corner L (as in a sewing corner).

I think you mentioned you had another 2-drawer cabinet. Is that for crafts or could it be kept next to the computer desk if moved?

Hopefully, this makes sense!

Just so everyone else knows... Kelly and I love scrap recycling I have literally stalked consignment shops & thrift stores for weeks looking for the perfect thing that I could make work for something I need to store, when I could have just went & bought the thing that was designed for it. Where is the fun in that though?

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • klsteven Said:

I think being that the desk & the curtains match, they work well. I also can spot a bit of brown, from the curtain rod above. Greyish blue & brown go work well together. I think you could play off of those 2 colors, just by including either material, fabric, ribbon or buttons within your space.

Ideas...

- Do-It-Yourself ribbon tiebacks

- Coordinating sheets/quilts/fabric or runners over any undesired surfaces

- Mini quilts for the wall (Either strung, framed or hung on hangers)

- Framed artwork

- Framed button collection (in honor of your grandmother!)

- You can even use some of your albums or books to decorate & pull in some coordinating color

- The key here is to use or create from what you already have;

Painting mis matching furniture is a fantastic way & cheap way to make your furniture coordinate! I am personally a fan of black furniture, but that is basically because their is no need to strip off the original paint, unless it is too thick.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Sidenote for all.

Since there will most likely be an array of topics discussed on any given day...

Something that everyone might find especially helpful is to post & or repost a short Daily To-Do List.

We'll say, no less than 3 items, but no more than 5 (just so we don't overdo it!)

p.s. If you don't complete your chosen items for the day, please feel free to just carry them over until the following day & or until you can offically cross them off!

Kelly... not trying to be the rebel or anything, but I am going to hold off on this to-do list for about a week or so... my list is too overwhelming right now because everything is literally in boxes during the remodel. In the combination with school if I have to think about it too hard right now... oh, the stress! I hope that is okay I promise to fully cooperate in the near future though

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Karen3066

Just passing through before I head to the store in search of organizational furniture for my bedroom.

Before I leave, I wanted to share this organizational concept with you ladies that might:

1) sew!
2) struggle with lack of desktop space
3) could especially use tools within reach
4) go to crops often & could really use such a thing!

Traveling Tool Caddy

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15441...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Page 1 is all to date.

Lots of fun stuff to talk about & discuss.

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow morning to pick back up!

p.s. Welcome Nancy, Melissa & Karen! Glad to have you ladies here with us!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Sidenote: There's a couple of scraproom pics & or ideas that I'd love to include & share in our master A-Z list.

If & whenever possible, can everyone be sure to allow Public Embedding, so I can do so.

Thanks So Much Ladies!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Sidenote: There's a couple of scraproom pics & or ideas that I'd love to include & share in our master A-Z list.

If & whenever possible, can everyone be sure to allow Public Embedding, so I can do so.

Thanks So Much Ladies!

Thinking I need to take some new photos of my scrappy space...it has been a while. I will enable those if you are interested.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Nancy Keslin

Thanks Nancy that would be really great!

I already know, I'd love to add your flower storage pic to our list, if you'd be so kind!

Thanks in advance!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
what's working for me: things that are easy to group and can fill a container (whether it's small or big) on their own. My buttons have their own cases, glimmer mist and alcohol inks in small stackable cases, alphas have several drawers of their own.

what's not working:
One factor is I go to crops every month, sometimes more often. So I grab specific items I want (ie a bunch of purple embellishments) out of their cases, because I don't want to bring the whole case with me. there's a lot of in and out with my stuff.

sorting/organizing paper. I recently got rid of a vertical shelving system, because I never put things back where they belonged and couldn't find anything anyway. I switched to those 12x12 plastic cases, a couple for cardstock ( which currently are not sorted in anyway) and a couple for patterned paper. those are at least easier to fit in the room, don't take up so much space.

"random" things or stuff I don't keep a lot of - minor amounts of baby/wedding embellies, birthday, etc. they don't warrant a container of their own, but then I lose track of them.

I'm also conflicted about wanting clear storage, so I can see everything, or storage that looks pretty, but then I can't see what's in it.

Alpha Storage - Tina, I'd love to see your alpha letter storage!

Crop Tools - I have a sort of carry tote that holds 4 of those tackle trays. That way whenever I am in crop mode, I can just grab the whole thing and go without having to unpack a thing when I return home.

Paper Storage - Sounds like you have your paper storage all in order & more importantly, a functional, working order.

- I have my 12x12 paper in plastic drawers, by company.

- And my cardstock in vertical Cropper Hoppers, sorted by color.

- One of my main paper storage issues, it all the leftover paper, that won't fit in the drawers. I'm very slowly, but surely working on that issue!

Baby, Wedding & Birthday - I'm with you on those 3 categories. I'm not sure if it's because I use them the lease or I just ended up with an over abundance of each category.

For now, I actually have enough of all 3 to assign them each their own section or container. If not, I plan to swap them out.

Storage Containers - I think a combination of the 2 can work. However, if you'd like a certain style or color theme, I think having 1 - 4 colors would certainly work to tie your space all together.

HTH!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to kirasmommy

• kirasmommy Said:
ooooh me me!! I need this!!

Name - terri

1. Type Of Space - small office 6'X 9' with an L shaped counter top work space
2. Colors/Style/Themes - Two red walls and two white walls. Winnie the Pooh stamped across the top of the walls.
3. Main Challenge - Need to purge and reorganize what I have. I haven't done any organization since I moved into the space about 3 years ago. Many things do not have a proper home.

I love all the ideas you have posted. Looking forward to drooling over all of them many more times!!

Thank you for doing this!!

Hi Terri! I just took a look!

OK, so my observation from afar, would be that your space was pretty much super organized in 2008, but has since grown, branched out & bloomed, so to speak.

Upfront, I love the Pooh border, with the cute & colorful coordinating curtains & family photo frames! I think those little touches make your space especially warm, family-friendly & cozy. Just like Winnie the Pooh has his Thinking Spot...You've got your quiet, corner Scrapping Spot!

p.s. I happen to know upfront that Miss Sarah is a Pooh Fan, as well! I'm sure she'll like your border & special little touches! XO

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• kirasmommy Said:
1. What are some things that are currently working for you? (please list) Photos are organized in photo boxes so I can scrap them when I find my desk again. Small bits of ribbon are organized so they can be found and used. It's the rolls of ribbon I have issues with!

Using my bulletin boards for holding my embellishments. Thought I would use them if I could see them. Nope, they became decorations for the wall! And the above mentioned ribbon rolls issue.

To do list:
1. Move drawer units
2. Dust
3. Start moving stuff on shelves

And I did do some dusting. Much more in the future as I hate to dust and put it off as much as possible. I did move the drawer units and started moving the stuff on the shelves.

I also posted some more current pictures of my scrapping space. It is in a sad state of affairs. I'll try to take some more tomorrow to share on the 'progress' I am making.

Photo Storage - OK, I completely applaud you in care of your photo storage. That is certainly no small feat! I've tried many differnt ways, but almost always go right back to the photo boxes, sorted by person & or theme.

Speaking of which. Tip - One particular way some people sort is...By person, places or things. Works for some, but then again, not for all. Just an idea, for whoever might be able to use it!

Ribbon - Rolls of ribbon. I think they take up a bit more room. If you have rod or designated drawers, I would recommend keeping them on their rolls.

If not & storage containment is an issue, then perhaps, containers, tackle boxes or rings. Some questions to consider....

- Do you want your ribbon out in view?
- Would you rather they be stored nearby in a drawer, box, basket ot bin?
- Do you need to have them be portable for scrapping on the go?
- Is tangling, dust, little hands, or pets an issue?

Bulletin Boards - I think it certainly looks like a terrific idea, however, if it's not working for you, I have to agree to move it & repurpose the boards.

Perhaps you could change over to accordian files, bins, baskets or boxes. As for the large empty board, perhaps an inspiration board or something to hang your tools or photos on?...Can't wait to see what you come up with!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Heading back over to your gallery Terri to leave some love, ideas & comments!

madmatter & Melissa, I'll be by to reply to your post after that!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Terri...

- What all are you keeping in your see-through storage bins? Is all of it embroidery thread or do you have a combination of embellishments stored inside? They look especially neat!

- Love the MM Tool Carousel. Looks great!

- Is your ribbon dowel working for you or is it not working because you now how too much?
Products Referenced in This Post:

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

OK Miss Terri. I made it through!

I can sorta see the gradual progression of what probably started off working, but then sorta expanded, multiplied & grew.

- Paper/Paper Stacks

- Ribbon Rolls

- Embellishments/Bullentin Boards - I do love the concept you started with both the larger & smaller bullentin boards to the sides of you. I think they each have a whole lot of potential! I left you a couple of ideas that came to mind of the top of my head. However, I'll be sure to post a couple of visual ideas (under P - Pegboards & or E - Embellishment Centers!)

Hope That Helps!

Paper/Paper Stacks - Sorted all together in 1 location. For variety, you could store & alternate them by black/white/black/white, etc. OR you could put all the black ones in a row, on the bottom w/the clear ones on top or vice versa.

Ribbon Rolls - I'm thinking ribbon rings OR ribbons wrapped on craftsticks & stored in your 15 slot cubby by color. I'll be sure to post a pic of what I'm sorta thinking!

Embellishments - Again, I really do like the visual concept that you've already begun. I think rings, tags, metal containers & or divided sections might prove to be extra helpful, if you do decide to redo or rego that route!

Alternate Display Board Ideas...

Smaller boards - (Photo boards/Card Displays/Ribbon rings/Shopping & Daily To Do List, etc.)
Card Display

Larger boards - (Layouts Display, Tools, Embellishments, ribbon & or ribbon rolls, organized, gathered & hung on rings, etc.)

Completed Projects & Layouts Display

Display Board Ribbon Rolls

For a touch of color...You could divide the larger board into seperate sections, either by product, person or color. Something along the lines of this, but instead, you could try to use patterned paper/fabric or ribbon to create boarders & sections.

Divided Display Board

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Ribbon Storage

Note: Terri, click on the link below for all sorts of wonderful & potential ribbon storage ideas!

Ribbon Storage Ideas Galore!

Pull-Ez - Does anyone have or swear by the Pull-Ez Ribbon System? If so, I'd love to hear what you think! I think I'll go read some of the reviews.

Tip - If going this route, you can make your own by using these same types of bags (makeup bags) from places like $1 Tree, Walmart, Target, etc.

Ribbon Revealer - Looks like a box to me. If you're extra crafty, I'm thinking you could create one for wach color, store them on your shelf & they would look both colorful & extra organized!

Ribbon Cards - One of my most favorite visual ideas. I think they look extra pretty, in a basket & all in a row. You could easily make your own cards from either cardboard or white craftboard. I'll have to include a pic to our list. I linked the clear caddies, because anything along those lines would most likely work perfectly to file them in, that is, if you desire a lid.

Products Referenced in This Post:

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Inspiration Of The Day

(From the pages of the Bo Bunny Blog)

http://bobunny.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-very-own-p art-of...

Note: I think there's enough included in this particular room for everyone here!

Sarah, I totally thought of you, right down to the extra cute cupcake tower!

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to KellyCali

Kelli, Thanks for sharing the daily inspiration and I am loving all the advice/tips. If my hubby saw that much scrappy stuff from the inspiration room in our house he would just die! One thing about having a small space is that you choose supplies wisely! Plus hubby is in medical school which means a super tight budget. I am always on the hunt for ideas that repurpose items. I just had a baby and have been holding onto bottles, formula cans, wipes constainers, etc. until I figure out how I want organize my stuff. Sadly my maternity leave is over and I will be returning to work tomorrow so I think I will set goals for the week until I get back into the swing of things. So for this week:

1. check out other scrap spaces and work on a space plan
2. gather up all those things I've been collecting for possible storage and put them in one box (I have them everywhere right now!)
3. finish labeling boxes already in my closet

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to KellyCali

I can see how turning the desk around would give me wall space, but then I would be facing away from the room into the wall, as opposed to into the room where I can still interact with the family, so that's not going to work too well.

My space is fairly organized ... it's just pushing maximum density.

I can see in looking at it now that the one thing that could make a huge difference is for me to label the drawers. Maybe today?

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to melissa*l

Oh and I like those new cartridge caddys! I saw these a few weeks ago but they are a little expensive since I need a couple so I am on the hunt for a cheaper something to create my own. I'll be sure to fill everyone in when I figure it out!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to melissa*l

Hi Ladies!

Melissa, I almost willing to bet you $100, they sell something similar at either $1 Tree or Walmart.

Often times if you're lucky (& or depending store to store, of course), they'll have them availiable in all sorts of bright colors.

Even if not, they'll almost always most definitely have white!

HTH!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to melissa*l

• melissa*l Said:
Kelli, Thanks for sharing the daily inspiration and I am loving all the advice/tips. If my hubby saw that much scrappy stuff from the inspiration room in our house he would just die! One thing about having a small space is that you choose supplies wisely! Plus hubby is in medical school which means a super tight budget. I am always on the hunt for ideas that repurpose items. I just had a baby and have been holding onto bottles, formula cans, wipes constainers, etc. until I figure out how I want organize my stuff. Sadly my maternity leave is over and I will be returning to work tomorrow so I think I will set goals for the week until I get back into the swing of things. So for this week:

1. check out other scrap spaces and work on a space plan
2. gather up all those things I've been collecting for possible storage and put them in one box (I have them everywhere right now!)
3. finish labeling boxes already in my closet

LOL in care of the first part of your post! I agree, it's a lot.

Baby Items - As I've been going through photos & blogs today, I was just thinking about how many baby items I probably could have gotten away with repurposing.

Changing Tables - I think most changing tables are downright perfect & cute for shelving & storage.

Diaper Bags are made with lots of extra pockets & storage. Some are especially cute & can be used as tote bags. I've actually have one that I purposely bought, specifically for crops!

Baby Bottles - If Starbucks, frap bottles can be used with their lids for ribbon, I'm thinking baby bottles could just as easily be used for ribbon pull storage.

Baby Food Jars - Say no more. Any type of small embellishments can be stored in them (brads, buttons, bling, letters, etc!) I think they would look especially nice lined up on a shelf, a dresser or contained without their lids, in a decorative tray.

Formula Cans - You can alter them & store just about anything in them!...(Tools, Metals, Plastics, Ribbons, etc.)

Baby Wipe Containers - Same story as with the cans. I have a small one that keep nearby. 1 holds my stapler, Fastenator & staple remover, along with any staple refills. The other is even smaller. I keep all of my small distressing brushes & tools in it.

HTH!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Karen3066

• Karen3066 Said:

Tina have you thought about possibly doing a map to your scrap area... so you can have all the pretty containers and when you want something, look at the map and you will know exactly where to go! Or you could label your pretty containers!

oohhh I love that idea!! so simple, but beyond my organizationally-challeng ed brain! lol

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

Kelly - wouldn't be very exciting to see my alpha storage. they're literally all just piled up in 3 drawers of those white jetmax cubes.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to melissa*l

• melissa*l Said:

1. Type Of Space -a desk in the bedroom and small spot in baby's closet for storage
3. Main Challenge -I am pulling out and putting away all my stuff constantly and it is really putting a damper on my creativity. My other challenge is that I know we will be moving in less than a year so I need my storage to be easily transformable/portable

I just recently went through this very thing last year Melissa (organizing, then moving).

Nothing else surely lights a fire for any scrapper, like the words...'Honey, We're Moving!'

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
Kelly - wouldn't be very exciting to see my alpha storage. they're literally all just piled up in 3 drawers of those white jetmax cubes.

I see. Do you have them sorted, or do you have to dig through them everytime?

As in, is there enough space for either dividers or clear craft bags?

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I need to seriously work on my alpha letters.

I use to have them in the cool, crafty hardware bin, however I very quickly outgrew that system.

Right now, I'm left somewhere in the middle, debating whether I want to try & go with an A-Z accordian file (portable) or instead, possibly go with some clear, recycled jars.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyCali

I pretty dig through them, lol. there is actually room for plastic bags. don't know if that would help much though, cause most of the alphas I have are thickers, and they're lying horizontally in the drawers.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
I pretty dig through them, lol. there is actually room for plastic bags. don't know if that would help much though, cause most of the alphas I have are thickers, and they're lying horizontally in the drawers.

OK, I hear ya & understand a little better!

You Lucky Scrapper You! (I love Thickers, but sadly only have about 2 packs!) = You Go Girl!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyCali

and regarding the tool tote so you don't have to unpack when you go to a crop - I actually don't drive (license but no car), so I take public transit to my fave crop, takes me about an hour, so I take as few tools as possible, especially heavy stuff. Luckily, we're cropping at somebody's house, so most of the time she has what I'd want to use anyway.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

• Tina scraps Said:
and regarding the tool tote so you don't have to unpack when you go to a crop - I actually don't drive (license but no car), so I take public transit to my fave crop, takes me about an hour, so I take as few tools as possible, especially heavy stuff. Luckily, we're cropping at somebody's house, so most of the time she has what I'd want to use anyway.

OK, that works too! Nothing like having good friends! XO

As far as any type of tote,

- maybe something a bit smaller?

OR

- How about premade kits? - A little cropping trick of mine, is to have premade bags lined up (*that are usually set aside specifically for crops!)...That way there's very little unpacking, if any for when you return.

HTH!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

• madmatter Said:

Glimmer Mist - Where do you currently have them? If you have a few, can they be kept uptop & closeby? If not, how about in a bin, basket or circular container?

Labels - We'll talk more about labeling soon, I promise.

The Family Dumping Grounds - OK, I'm not really one to talk. Everyone seems to do the exact same thing when it comes to my desk. However, in my case most of it either needs to be repaired, looked at, stored or filed. (For example, notes, paperwork, coins, toys, game pieces, sewing, you name it, etc!)

In an attempt to save your desktop, what I was going to suggest is...Would it at all be possible to have a basket of some sort for everyone to 'drop' off items in? Even if it's a laundry basket. You could either keep it directly on your desk (so that no one can put things elsewhere) OR you could put the basket somewhere nearby (as in on the floor or on your chair) when the space isn't being used.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
My space is fairly organized ... it's just pushing maximum density.

I can see in looking at it now that the one thing that could make a huge difference is for me to label the drawers. Maybe today?

Sounds like a plan!

Good Luck!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to melissa*l

• melissa*l Said:
  • KellyCali Said:

What is currently working is that I do have some things seperated into boxes which are labeled (this works except for embellies for me-see below.) The other thing that really works for me is keeping my paper seperated into page kits instead of in stacks.

What isn't working is that I scrap by color and am finding that I hate digging through the box of ribbon to find something red. I want to organize better by how I scrap.

I'll be sure to take some pics so you can all see

Thanks Melissa, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

• homesclscrapper Said:
I need to date the photos in my gallery....the ones of my scrappy space.

I share space with my husband. I have about..2/3 of a room. The room is a champagne yellow with yellow, blue and burgundy accents.

my main challenge would be the organization of embellishments...not flowers. my flowers are beautiful...as are my buttons and ribbons. I guess it is the packaged things. rub ons, alphas, bling.

what works? my paper storage, flower storage, buttons, brads, eyelets, ribbons.

Nancy, the following link is from a friend of mine that also has some of the color combinations that you mentioned & have included within your room!

Grace's Scraproom

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Just passing through before I head to the store in search of organizational furniture for my bedroom.

Before I leave, I wanted to share this organizational concept with you ladies that might:

1) sew!
2) struggle with lack of desktop space
3) could especially use tools within reach
4) go to crops often & could really use such a thing!

Traveling Tool Caddy

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15441...

This is fantastic!!! How handy and it doesn't take up any space at all!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Inspiration Of The Day

(From the pages of the Bo Bunny Blog)

http://bobunny.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-very-own-p art-of...

Note: I think there's enough included in this particular room for everyone here!

Sarah, I totally thought of you, right down to the extra cute cupcake tower!

Thanks for sharing this Kelly!! I especially like the paper organizer!! The cupcake holder is a fantastic idea!!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to melissa*l

• melissa*l Said:
Oh and I like those new cartridge caddys! I saw these a few weeks ago but they are a little expensive since I need a couple so I am on the hunt for a cheaper something to create my own. I'll be sure to fill everyone in when I figure it out!

Melissa~ The hunt is most of the fun!! Good luck on your adventure!!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066

• Tina scraps Said:
  • Karen3066 Said:

oohhh I love that idea!! so simple, but beyond my organizationally-challeng ed brain! lol

Tina you are so funny!! If you really want to tackle a project like that, I say you just have to take on one product at a time!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
I need to seriously work on my alpha letters.

I use to have them in the cool, crafty hardware bin, however I very quickly outgrew that system.

Right now, I'm left somewhere in the middle, debating whether I want to try & go with an A-Z accordian file (portable) or instead, possibly go with some clear, recycled jars.

Kelly ~ If space allows... Mason Jars would look super pretty!! I am sure you are aware, but just in case... Mason Jars come in different sizes! I think the short fat one are the cutest!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • madmatter Said:

Glimmer Mist - Where do you currently have them? If you have a few, can they be kept uptop & closeby? If not, how about in a bin, basket or circular container?

Labels - We'll talk more about labeling soon, I promise.

The Family Dumping Grounds - OK, I'm not really one to talk. Everyone seems to do the exact same thing when it comes to my desk. However, in my case most of it either needs to be repaired, looked at, stored or filed. (For example, notes, paperwork, coins, toys, game pieces, sewing, you name it, etc!)

In an attempt to save your desktop, what I was going to suggest is...Would it at all be possible to have a basket of some sort for everyone to 'drop' off items in? Even if it's a laundry basket. You could either keep it directly on your desk (so that no one can put things elsewhere) OR you could put the basket somewhere nearby (as in on the floor or on your chair) when the space isn't being used.

For my family dumping grounds, I have a super cute basket that I purchased (ugh, new) at TJMAXX (it was in the clearance aisle though The dumping grounds seems to always be the front door, so this is where I put it. I also have a mail caddy thingy that I made that hangs on the wall above it. There are two slots, Junk Mail and bills!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to Karen3066

Today is my half day at work & all the homework has been completed, so major time will be spent in the disaster area today!! Hubby is helping to hang stuff on the walls today I have been thinking about moving some stuff around that I didn't need to move for my remodel, but it may work better in a different place!

FYI!!! M's has 40% off storage this week. I am normally not one to buy the jetmax cube line (although I would love to have it, I just see money better spent on fun stuff and then recycle for organization) That being said... the jars and pegboard is a really great price when it is 40% off!!

I did go to a few yard sales yesterday... I got a couple cool things for the space. It will be revealed soon!! Also, I think I might go to my favorite place before work today... The Peddler's Mall!!!

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to Karen3066

Kelly... thank you for taking the time to go through my mess pictures. Loving the ideas for the smaller bulletin boards. My drawers behind the computer monitor hold my smaller pieces of ribbon and floss. With some other small items as well. I now have 5 of those plastic bins that hold my rolled ribbons. The ribbon rack under the shelves is working but needs to have a few rolls switched out as they are empty. oh the shame! And right now I cannot even reach them!

I can't move my paper stacks to the other paper storage area as they have multiplied! But I think I got it to work yesterday when I was moving stuff around. I do like the idea of alternating the clear and the black paper holders. Hadn't thought of that. They were purchased at different times as I could afford them and the sales. Thinking that would be fun to do.

One investment I need to make is a new label maker. I am not feeling mine anymore. I think it would help so much for me to label everything. I think a lot has been lost this way.

The storage under my desk houses many things. I have two drawers for each child. One houses embellies for each and the other houses papers and misc stuff that will need to be on pages when I get there. There are three drawers of Disney stuff (I have two trips that need to be scrapped) There is a drawer of stamps. Three drawers house Halloween, Easter and Christmas stuff. But I did manage to find a ton of things that were not placed into their proper drawers. So I guess a good cleaning out of all of my drawers is in order.

Off to peek at everyone's rooms. This is so much fun. I am loving the inspiration I am getting!!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

Free Printable Labels

* Dashed Circles

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XNx-urF3wzE/SxRG0yBo pdI/AAAAA...

* Red French Bookplate

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__IJ6tNLnOUs/S74zFMMP 46I/AAAAA...

* Red Labels

http://poppytalk.blogspot.com/2009/02/free-download able...

* Turquoise Meets Gold Labels

http://www.bloglovin.com/m/661782/94665098/s/0 /aHR0cCUz...

* Blank Stripes

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XNx-urF3wzE/SxSELuP9 nFI/AAAAA...

* Vintage Labels

http://www.bloglovin.com/m/661782/98146313/s/0 /aHR0cCUz...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Here's the 'yarn cubby' method that I was talking about earlier.

(Hope this sorta explains & provides a good visual!)

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • melissa*l Said:

I just recently went through this very thing last year Melissa (organizing, then moving).

Nothing else surely lights a fire for any scrapper, like the words...'Honey, We're Moving!'

The worst part is that there is a strong chance our next move will be for just a year and then moving again. It also could be anywhere in the country. This is why I need to be very creative with my organizing. I can't really set up anything permanent and since I don't know what my next space will be I need to keep it compact. it is so hard!!

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l

• kirasmommy Said:
Kelly... thank you for taking the time to go through my mess pictures. Loving the ideas for the smaller bulletin boards. My drawers behind the computer monitor hold my smaller pieces of ribbon and floss. With some other small items as well. I now have 5 of those plastic bins that hold my rolled ribbons. The ribbon rack under the shelves is working but needs to have a few rolls switched out as they are empty. oh the shame! And right now I cannot even reach them!

I can't move my paper stacks to the other paper storage area as they have multiplied! But I think I got it to work yesterday when I was moving stuff around. I do like the idea of alternating the clear and the black paper holders. Hadn't thought of that. They were purchased at different times as I could afford them and the sales. Thinking that would be fun to do.

One investment I need to make is a new label maker. I am not feeling mine anymore. I think it would help so much for me to label everything. I think a lot has been lost this way.

The storage under my desk houses many things. I have two drawers for each child. One houses embellies for each and the other houses papers and misc stuff that will need to be on pages when I get there. There are three drawers of Disney stuff (I have two trips that need to be scrapped) There is a drawer of stamps. Three drawers house Halloween, Easter and Christmas stuff. But I did manage to find a ton of things that were not placed into their proper drawers. So I guess a good cleaning out of all of my drawers is in order.

Off to peek at everyone's rooms. This is so much fun. I am loving the inspiration I am getting!!

I had stuff really mixed up until I labeled. Huge timesaver!

I also seperate like you do. I have a few Iris cases one for family, baby, etc. Helps me keep things together for each album. I throw specific papers, embellies, memorbilia, pictures, etc. in them until I am ready to work on those pages. I am really trying to eliminate having to look in mutliple places for things.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
Here's the 'yarn cubby' method that I was talking about earlier.

(Hope this sorta explains & provides a good visual!)

Goodness I love this!!!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to Karen3066

I had a very productive day today!! DH helped me hang all the wall organization!! I can't wait to share, but I am waiting until it is completely finished!!

I would like to talk about Stickles!!

I am having a HUGE issue storing these babies.... I want them upside down & I want something that when I pull out one the rest doesn't fall over or become crooked. Ideas?

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to Karen3066

I don't use stickles but here are some stickle storage ideas on this blog:

http://www.obsessedwithscrapbooking.com/2009/04/stickle...

klsteven
Veteran
klsteven
In response to melissa*l

I did NOT have a productive day in organizing today. However, I did spend the day with an awesome group of friends walking in the 5Km Run for the Cure.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to klsteven

Kelly, I'll try to answer the questions soon, but I'm in Texas (six hours away from my home in Louisiana) taking care of my grandkids. We arrived on Thursday and will stay till the weekend at least. So my only action now will be to write a one item to do list - label all my canvas drawers in my scrapbox and minibox.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to johnsusan8

Hi Miss Susan! Welcome!

Sure thing, Sounds Good & Enjoy the rest of your weekend with your grandbabies!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

For anyone that didn't get much done, it's perfectly okay, no frets!

It is afterall the weekend!

Enjoy!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

For me...

What's Working

- brads (spice jars)
- buttons (jars)
- bling (jars)
- pre-sorting supplies by theme & project

What's Not

- Alpha Letters (outgrew both the hardware drawer & over-the-door systems...as mentioned, most likely transferring to clear jars!)

- Extra flowers (not sure how & where I want to store them...most likely it'll be in bowls & jars)

- Extra ribbons (working on this today & tomorrow!)

- Scraps (I've never been completely happy with the way they are sorted...I'm either parring down & going back to an accordian file OR I'm going to store them out in the open, in a med-large bin or basket!)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Carried over from the weekend...

(Took out trash/Adding ribbons)

Kelly's To Do List

1. Clean off my desk
2. Clean up the floor
3. Gather ribbons

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Question Of The Day

- Do you have 'a plan' for your space? If so, What percentage of the way are you near your goals?

Do you have a plan for your space? If so, What percentage of the way are you almost there?
Yes, I do! (Lots & lots of ideas)
No, I don't. (Soon enough, but not quite yet...)
0% - Um, I HAVE NOT started yet!
10% - Yes, Hooray! I HAVE indeed started to work on my space!
15% - 25% - In process
30 - 40% - Still working hard in process
50% - I'd say, I'm about right smack in the middle!
75 - 80% - I think I can almost see the finish line!
99% of the way almost there! Just 1-3 items left!
100% - I'm just here for the fun & ideas!
You may choose up to 2 options.
Votes accepted from 10-04-10 01:56 AM to 10-04-11 01:56 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Karen3066

• Karen3066 Said:

I am having a HUGE issue storing these babies.... I want them upside down & I want something that when I pull out one the rest doesn't fall over or become crooked. Ideas?

Stickles Storage

Open Storage

- Baskets/Bins/Buckets (Note: I think finding the right size is key!)
- Open nailpolish trays (check your nearest beauty supply!)
- You can hang/velcro them from a acrylic frame
- You can hang/velcro them from within a frame or a shadowbox
- Stickles Stairs (as shown on the previously linked blog...Very cute indeed! Thanks For Sharing!)
- You could store them in a tool caddy or carousel
- You could probably use a wall spice rack (just be sure to measure first!)
- You could add a magnet & hang them on a magnetic wall strip
- You could store & group them in an over-the-door organizer pocket

Closed Storage

- You can store them in a tin/box/jars/container or tool-box (clear or colored, depending on you!)
Note: You will most likely need to use some sort of D.I.Y. dividers

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyCali

I forgot to mention, a couple other things that are working for me:

brads/eyelets - in this handy embelli case from Close to my Heart.
buttons - in flat plastic cases that have multiple sections, so they're sorted by color.

I love the idea of mason/spice jars for visual appeal but unfortunately they take up more space.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • Karen3066 Said:

Stickles Storage

Open Storage

- Baskets/Bins/Buckets (Note: I think finding the right size is key!)
- Open nailpolish trays (check your nearest beauty supply!)
- You can hang/velcro them from a acrylic frame
- You can hang/velcro them from within a frame or a shadowbox
- Stickles Stairs (as shown on the previously linked blog...Very cute indeed! Thanks For Sharing!)
- You could store them in a tool caddy or carousel
- You could probably use a wall spice rack (just be sure to measure first!)
- You could add a magnet & hang them on a magnetic wall strip
- You could store & group them in an over-the-door organizer pocket

Closed Storage

- You can store them in a tin/box/jars/container or tool-box (clear or colored, depending on you!)
Note: You will most likely need to use some sort of D.I.Y. dividers

hmm... nail polish dividers. I think I will have to go check this out!!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to Karen3066

Yikes... the wall space is gone!! It sure did go fast!!

Thanks for all the Stickles help ladies, I think I am going to try to come up with something today!! I do have to work, but I will have Stickles on the brain today!

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to Karen3066

To Do

- Come up with Stickles Storage idea
- Look for a cool rug for my space
- Buy some acyclic board

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to Karen3066

To do-
-find desk again. I had it yesterday then cleaned out under the desk and everything went on top of the desk.
-empty trash. It's full.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

-clean off scrap desk
-remove all last scrap items from the dining room

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin

uploaded some new photos....

these are what is working.

ribbons
ribbon storage By Homesclscrapper

flowers
flower storage 1 By Homesclscrapper
flower storage 2 By Homesclscrapper

buttons
buttons, buttons By Homesclscrapper

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Nancy Keslin

I didn't do much organizing this weekend as I was caught up with the inspired to scrap online crop.

I would like to make my room prettier....organize the clip it up, alphas. I will post more photos later.

Page 2 of 7 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics