Username Post: another make it yourself tip (alcohol ink)        (Topic#1547229)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

I came across this while looking for recipes to make alcohol ink myself as I need a bunch of it and didn't wanna pay a ton. I am planning to make alcohol ink xmas balls with my oldest dd's class during their xmas party (40+) kiddos.

BUT CAN I PRE ADD GLITTER TO THIS ?????

ALSO WHAT COLOR SHOULD I GO WITH.....I HAVE A HUGE BAG FULL OF ALL DIF. COLORED BALLS FOR THIS PROJECT. I DON'T WANNA TAKE A TON OF COLORS UP MAYBE JUST LIKE 3. I HAVE BALLS FROM TEAL TO PURPLE AND FROM GREEN TO RED.

Method One
For those who are having trouble finding or affording the alcohol- inks, here is a basic recipe to create your own.

1. Empty one package of powdered Rit dye into a small baby food jar.

2. Add rubbing alcohol to the top of the jar, and shake well.

Or. .. Take a black film canister, fill that about 1/4 of the way with the powdered Rit dye, then fill the remainder of the canister with rubbing alcohol, and shake well.

This recipe can tend to be a bit 'grainy', so make sure you have shaken and dissolved the powder as much as you possibly can. If it is still grainy, many find this can be a good thing and can work for you, not against you.

Method Two (not as grainy as above)

1/2 cup isopropyl alcohol

2 tsp or more of liquid Rit Fabric Dye

Pour alcohol into bottle and add dye, shake well to mix.

Edited by jennaroo on 11-19-10 02:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jennaroo

I've HEARD that the alcohol inks and glitter just kinda lumps together, although someone on here had good luck with it, others did not,,,

I've also heard you can use liquid pledge (the stuff that you mop and glow onto your floor), swirl it around, dump out the excess back into the bottle and add COLORED glitter,,,,,,,and then shake that well,,,,,,,

Angelica
Queen
Angelica
In response to CommaHolly

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that you can make you own alcohol ink.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Angelica

I have done this with my reinkers and it works well, I have made my own skittles in so many colors.

hollystar
Veteran
hollystar
In response to CorrieW

this sounds fun! thanks for sharing!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics