Username Post: How do you use this kind of paper?        (Topic#1551491)
Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 01-22-11 01:55 PM

Hi Ladies!

By now I have repeatedly had problems with a certain kind of patterned paper. I'm talking about those sheets that are not actually regularly patterned but have a "picture" or coherent print. They again and again catch my eye and I love how they look but I can't work with them when it comes to my layouts. I just don't know how to incorporate the picture of the paper into my own design.

My current sheet of problem is from an older BoBunny line (Flutter Butter). It is no longer on available on sb.com so here is the bobunny-hp Link . It's the first sheet (top left). I tried to combine it with the one right next to it and totally failed. Nothing fit and everything I did acutally destroyed the beautiful look of the bg-page.

Do you have any strategies or tips how to work with this kind of paper without covering the beautiful prints?

I included a few sheets which are just the same. I don't own them but if I did - no idea how to use them...

Brenda6054
Veteran
Brenda6054
In response to Shivi

I have the same issues with those papers. I would love to get some ideas!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Brenda6054

I've never successfully used them for LO's. I'd love to hear tips from those who have. Instead, I use papers like that for cards, gift bags, or altered items (depending on the size of the image).

Cindy

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Shivi

I think they were meant to add a single large photo or group of smaller photos into the blank section of the paper. You could overlap part of the pattern to make it more interesting. You could also add small embellishments, such as rhinestones, stickers, ribbons, and words.

One page in a Vintage paper pad included a large picture of a young girl with wings in a ballet dress. I prepared a photo of my own face, sized to fit the face on the page, and pasted it in to cover the young girl's face. I also added some jewelry to the neckline, a punched bow and a jewel to the waistline. Elsewhere, I placed some wording and several small stickers to enhance the page, along with an occasional jewel. People who see it are really amused by the effect.

Edited by Solitaire on 01-22-11 02:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to cindy312

I´ve used the backside of the Flutter Butter collection, I thought they were better.

I´ve cut out the pattern of the blue awning paper and attached pieces of it to cards. I would probably do the same thing with the Midnight Frost paper if I had it.

I remember I´ve seen gorgeous LO:s with the Prima Indeed collection paper in the gallery. Take a look.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to kottens

I just don't use those pps

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to SuperAllyFan

• SuperAllyFan Said:
I just don't use those pps

Same here. I give them to my 6 year old daughter and she loves them.

I have a theory that they are fun for the artists that create these paper packs, but the manufacturer has no idea that MOST (not all...) people don't really use them.

We're artists, we'll create our own "scene" thank you. lol

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Penny Lane

I wish I could find it for you, but there have been a couple of past threads that have covered this topic, with lots of good visual examples.

Not sure if you've tried it yet, but there might be some examples using either the direct link to the product or within the gallery.

Sometimes I use them. However, many times, I cut them up for pieces and in turn, tend to do a lot of layering.

For me, I could go either way.

Hope That Helps & Good Luck!

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Penny Lane

I cut them and use them for layering or cut slits for other paper/pics to slide behind.

These are the papers I did that for on these 3 los.

Adelyn Cate By ColbyCheeseCat
Hey Baby By ColbyCheeseCat
Snow Lab By ColbyCheeseCat

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I don't worry about perserving the picture or design on the paper...I just cut it up like all my other paper and use it just the same. I still get some of the pretty design which fits in with my LO and I don't stress over what is on the paper. For me...its about my pictures and the design I want to use...not what is on the paper.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to StarsNSparkles

Click on the product, when the page pops up for the product scroll down just a little and click on "View all projects using this product." You will find many ways to use them and they are gorgeous!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to rockmom

I usually go with one picture and a lot of embellishments around the picture.

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to Sneezy1956

I have trouble using them too. I may cut part of the design out and reuse it, but I'm never really satisfied with the way that looks. I've generally stopped buying them.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to iuplori

I recently figured out that ou can tear and cut it out to layer it using both sides.

here's some of the ideas I saved to my faves and some that I used

No Fear...well maybe just a little By Just G

Angel By Sherrenae

on this one i would cut the corners and flip over the corners to the coordinating side
Merry Christmas 1966 By Justowen

A Moment By Ashleyvanetten

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Edited by Just G on 01-22-11 08:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to Just G

I avoid those pp's for the most part too. I recently saw a lo where they had made the design along the corner and bottom of the page look like stamping 'framing' the photo. Then they added more embellishments for a layered look. Hard to explain, but it was neat!

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 01-23-11 01:16 AM
In response to 3LittleLadies

Thank you for all your replies!

I already looked at many of the LOs in the gallery but I often find it hard to determine how they were done, thus I figured I'll ask anyway
It's interesting that so many of you don't use those sheets. Well, I guess there's a gap between beauty and useability.

The back of the sheet in question would fit the intended pic beautifully but I am still reluctant to not use the butterfly-side... I have to ponder that for a while ^^

By the way, Glenda, I love your idea of cutting up the pages Have to try that.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to 3LittleLadies

I am the odd ball,,, I LOVE them!!!!! they make awesome mini book covers, and inside pages, because minis are really MEANT for smaller pics,,,,,they are harder to use on LO's, though I have done so often,,,,,if you're a multi pic scrapper, I am sure they are torture to use,,,,,for us single photo scrappers, a bit easier, I think,,,,,only because we can cram one photo anywhere there's not a critical part of the pp

Once Upon a Time By CommaHolly
Sunsets Are Not Endings,,,, By CommaHolly
Santa Mini front page By CommaHolly
Romantic/Feminine minibook swap By CommaHolly
Envelope book By CommaHolly
Mom's book By CommaHolly

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to AmyWho

Depending on the design you can take your craft knife and cut along the pattern, place some scrap paper behind and turn it into a pocket.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Kozy Scraps

i tend to come across that problem all too often. i generally use just one pic or end up using it for altering items.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Kozy Scraps

Yes, I second Kozy Scraps. Lay your pictures on the sheet and mark where it overlaps on design and which part of the design you want to bring out. Then take the craft knife and cut along the pattern to make a spot to slide in the corner or edge of your picture.

I actually learned the technique from a bo bunny class.

I think on these two you can see where the design overlaps on the pictures.

Pumpkin Patch By Jaxxan

*PSSST.. 1 of 2 By Jaxxan

PaperPauper
Resident
PaperPauper
In response to jaxxan

I'm so glad the OP asked about this. I have problems using these papers too, but that's also because I scrap in 8x8 and those designs just get lost on a smaller page. But, there are some really good ideas here for using these papers!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to PaperPauper

Here Ya Go!

Here's one of the past posts that I was referring to...

Hope That Helps!

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15245...

Meredith77
Pro
Meredith77
In response to _pink_glitter_hearts_

This is really hard for me too! I don't know why, but they don't usually fit with my style of scrapbooking.
Here are only 2 in my gallery that I did that I thought were successful.

Sleepy But Happy Boy By Meredith77

9 Months By Meredith77

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I have struggled with these kinds of papers too. But they are so beautiful they're hard to resist. I found that small groupings work best for me. I try to let the pretty papers do all the work.

Sometimes cutting around the designs and just using part of them or reconfiguring them works well for me too like these;

Sashalanda
Tenant
Sashalanda

I use those type to highlight one center photo or to journal for a layout in other page. Not every scrap page has to have photos but this lets you tell the story of another page in a very pretty way. Least thats what I do cause I just love them.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Sashalanda

I don't often use the fussy papers but when I do, I try to step back and let the paper do all the work. I don't add much to the page.

Beauty By Scrap4brains

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 01-27-11 02:21 PM
In response to scrap4brains

Thanks so much for all your tips and comments. Really appreciate it. I tried to scrap that same pic with the back of the initial sheet but it didn't work either, though I even wanted to use a sheet from the same line for matting, embellis etc.... well, i now gave up on this and chose another bg-paper and I think it turned out beautifully. Time will tell what I can use difficult sheet for... *g*

nado
nado 
Diva
nado
  • nado on 01-27-11 08:27 PM
In response to Shivi

I've had troubles with those types of papers as well, here are a couple that use similar pps
[image] Rock Star By Nado[/image]

[image] Adorable By Nado[/image]

Good luck!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics