Username Post: Wowzer, some people really do have too much inventory        (Topic#1552553)
ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

I was watching scrap room videos on Youtube tonight. One I came across was just too much. She had more than one person would EVER use in a lifetime. And she wasn't a person who taught or sold.

Really, it kind of made me feel sad. There was just too much, and nobody needs that much. It really made me proud and happy for what little I have as I maximize the use of every thing I own for this craft.

Granted, we all have some things we don't need or will use, but when it gets into the tens of thousands of dollars, it is all a bit much.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to ktmracing

Who was it, lol?

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to lisymarie

LOL, I did not post the video as I had no way of konwing if she was a member...I don't want to hurt feelings.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to ktmracing

I am not sure that you are being fair.

a) How do you know that she has never taught or done demos? Or used to have a store?

b) You probably don't know anything about her financial situation. Who cares how much she spent or didn't spend? It doesn't affect me.

c) Maybe she won it all. Or maybe she inherited it from a friend who passed away. Or maybe she is a compulsive shopper. Who knows? Who cares?

If you don't want to hurt feelings, why are you making a thread about it?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to amandahugandkiss

• amandahugandkiss Said:
I am not sure that you are being fair.

a) How do you know that she has never taught or done demos? Or used to have a store?

b) You probably don't know anything about her financial situation. Who cares how much she spent or didn't spend? It doesn't affect me.

c) Maybe she won it all. Or maybe she inherited it from a friend who passed away. Or maybe she is a compulsive shopper. Who knows? Who cares?

If you don't want to hurt feelings, why are you making a thread about it?

we SO need a standing ovation smiley here!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to moxiegirl23

Also, if she's been scrapping for 20 years, she probably has a TON of stamps, tools, dies, inks, machines, etc,,,,,,,

you don't have to spend a ton every week to build up quite a stash over the years.

I spend between 20 and 40 dollars a week. It's what I can afford, it's what I have budgeted. And it takes nothing out of my family budget. I receive larger expenditures for holidays and birthdays,,,,,,

I have a ton already (2 years into scrapping) and I can only IMAGINE what it will look like in 20 years

There's new stuff coming out all the time,,,,,,,I like to collect tools and embossing folders and things I can use over and over again. I swap what I don't need or have a ton of for things that I do need.

If you're new at this, come back in about ohhhhhhhhhhh 2 years and tell me how little you have then

and I'm not being snarky at you, really,,,,,I just think when we first begin, and we have a smaller stash, it's overwhelming to see the supply of someone who's been scrapping for YEARS AND YEARS

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to CommaHolly

2 years.. HA... who needs 2 years I have a budget of 50ish dollars a week... and I could lose myself in all my stuff.... its accumulates so fast... speaking of which, I went through all my paper today and I have decided I need to go shopping because I don't have what I need lol

Resident
In response to jessielee

I havent bought a scrappy related item in almost 2 years! I do buy adhesive and print pics I just have that much stuff.
I used to belong to another MB and members of the DT would purge thier rooms and if you sent then $10 for a flat rate mailer they would ship you off a box of thier unwanted stuff. So I really didnt spend a fortune on what I have.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to Lauralny

Give us a link to her video---We'll decide if she has too much stuff!!! LOL

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Love 2 Learn

This thread is why people who have been scrapping for years should stay out of Beginning Scrapping.

I totally remember hating thick LOs and thinking people have way too much stuff and how could they "waste" all that money... and then one day I woke up to a formal dining room filled with scrappy goodies and was challenged by someone to say how much I had spent... and I knew I had crossed over from thinking "them" crazy to being crazy.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ktmracing

Sorry guys, but I agree with the OP that the scrapbooking subculture at large really does glorify over-accumulation.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Sorry guys, but I agree with the OP that the scrapbooking subculture at large really does glorify over-accumulation.

You don't have to apologize for agreeing about the over-accumulation. I have too much stuff and sometimes, when I think about how much I spent, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth. On the other hand, coming in my room and attempting creation is well worth the price I've paid for all my stuff. My issue with the op is the attitude of I don't want to make someone feel bad because I'm judging her without knowing all the info, but I'm gonna publicly judge this person without knowing why the woman has all that stuff.

Resident

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • aquabunny Said:

when I think about how much I spent, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

Ewww....LOL

clicketmomma
Veteran
clicketmomma
In response to Lauralny

Ive been scrapping for years and I like beginning scrapbooking...

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to clicketmomma

I envy though who are able to spend $40-50 a week on scrapping goodies. I just spent about $100 total ($60-something at Joann's, $20 at Overstock and another $25-ish at Wal-Mart) in the past two weeks, however, before that, I hadn't been able to buy anything since before Christmas when I bought my Cricut Graphically Speaking cart and spatula. I just can't afford to spend that much money a week. Usually I will stash some money aside and maybe once a month or so, I'll get some stuff.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to SarahMack

I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It just really struck me and I didn't think that the post would ruffle feathers. Yet it did for some and I feel bad because I am new here and don't want anyone to think I am a pot-stirrer or somebody who tears people down.

She stated in comments that she doesn't teach classes or sell her things, so I wasn't going on assumptions.

Anyway, sorry again to those who think my post wasn't nice.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to ktmracing

To each their own. You might feel overwhelmed walking into a room like that and not know where to start. Some might look at your space and feel claustrophobia. It shouldn't matter what you spend or don't spend, it should matter the time and effort you put in to your work. I don't tell anyone (except my husband) how much I spend and I don't personally want to know what they spend.

Hope you get to enjoy reading the forums, welcome to SB.com

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to Monique_McCoy

Could you PM the link to the video? Tens of thousands of dollars is an enormous amount no matter how rich you are. I'm genuinely curious.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to RhondaR

• RhondaR Said:
Could you PM the link to the video? Tens of thousands of dollars is an enormous amount no matter how rich you are. I'm genuinely curious.

me too

and I didn't think your original post was offensive ... I'm sure to some people the amount I have is insane, but compared to others it doesn't seem to be so much

the truth is, there is always someone who has more, and I think we can be equally jealous and horrified by it

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to madmatter

me too. Just color me curious.

AndieBee
Expert
AndieBee
In response to VickieW

I'm very new to paper craft, and I think I already have too much "stuff"! lol I won a small Cricut just before Christmas. I have four carts, three mats, the tool set, and a spatula. Buuuut...I have a small stash of papers & cardstock, stickers, some embellies, several acrylic & rubber stamps, ribbons, bling, glitter, Stickles, Mod Podge and other adhesives, buttons, brads, ink pads, etc. from before I got the machine. I have to admit quite a bit of it was given to me. Another good bit I got at the Summer 09 CHA Craft Supershow. I just bought my first edge punch a few weeks ago, and I have maybe half a dozen other punches. I look at what I do have sometimes and wonder "When the heck am I EVER gonna use all this stuff up?!" So I can definitely identify with the awestruck feeling upon seeing a "well stocked" supply!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to AndieBee

Aw come on, guys! She's in the beginning scrapper section. Sooner or later the "bug" will hit her and she'll start amassing, too. In the meantime, we should encourage our new members, not beat them over the head. She was only giving her observation.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Msceejay2000

• Msceejay2000 Said:
This thread is why people who have been scrapping for years should stay out of Beginning Scrapping.

That's a little short sighted because if all the seasoned scrappers stayed away who would answer the newbies questions?

Anyway, OP...we'll show you this thread in a couple of years and ask you see what you think then

Don't let any of this banter put you off though, it's all done in a friendly way

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ktmracing

• ktmracing Said:
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to offend anyone. It just really struck me and I didn't think that the post would ruffle feathers. Yet it did for some and I feel bad because I am new here and don't want anyone to think I am a pot-stirrer or somebody who tears people down.

She stated in comments that she doesn't teach classes or sell her things, so I wasn't going on assumptions.

Anyway, sorry again to those who think my post wasn't nice.

there's no tone of voice on line,,,,,

that's all

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

As for the subculture glorifying "over accumulation",,,,maybe so,,,,,but I can think of much worse, much MORE expensive things to "over accumulate". Crafting is seriously relaxing,,,,,I love to do it, and if it fits my budget, who's to say that I am over accumulating???

Isn't it the show HOARDERS that states,,, "If you love it and if you use it, it's NOT JUNK??"

I think it gets to "over accumulation" if you find yourself buying things just for the sake of buying and on a regular basis you don't use it,,,,soemone like that could have half of what I have,,,,,,or 10 X what I have,,,,,,,,just my 2 cents

AndieBee
Expert
AndieBee

But isn't that the rub though? "If you love it 'and USE it' then it's not junk" Even with my paltry stash I just don't use it all. Oh I have big plans to use every bit of it, but it just hasn't happened yet. lol Again, I can totally identify with the overwhelming feeling brought on by the accumulation of supplies a seasoned crafter (in any genre really) may have. It's very difficult for me to wrap my head around how someone could actually use all that "stuff". And although I'm a scrappin' newbie, I'm a seasoned crafter in other areas. I think maybe...juuust maybe...those of you who bristled at the OP can kinda see where she's coming from, even if just a teensy weensy bit.

Scraps2treasure
Tenant
Scraps2treasure
In response to VickieW

I am new here but not to scrapping an i have years worth of stuff - i finally cut back on spending but i am a compulsive shoppe so when i spend i always drop a minimum of $100 and have way to much but i just love it people think my room is a store so i bought cabinets that close so that no one can see what i have

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to AndieBee

I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into this orange, plastic box... I don't need any more supplies than I fit into these two boxes... I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into these two boxes and this chest of drawers... I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into these TWO NEW chest of drawers, these two boxes, and this shelf... really... Okay, I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into this ANTIQUE BUFFET, these THREE shelves, and these two chest of drawers...

Let's face it. Scrapbooking supplies procreate.

Deans_wife
Veteran
Deans_wife
In response to runzalot81

i have tonnes of stuff and then when i unearth something i have not seen in years it is like new!!
also i recently went to a scrap retreat where you brought unused / unsuitable for you / or new stuff to donate and the hostess sent it all to Canuck Place an end of life care / medical facility where the children and families make scrapbooks for their loved ones. great cause!!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Deans_wife

I have friends who have been on design teams for years and/or have worked for manufacturers. Their scraprooms are obscene, and they probably haven't spent more than $100 annually on their goodies. They get them from the DT's or the Manus.

I still have a TON of stuff from a couple years where I did some work with a manufacturer. I also spent a couple years entering every blog contest that I could for free goodies. I had no money, so that was an awesome way to get stuff.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to Luvmyfam

A lot of hobbies require "stuff". My dad does model trains- OMG that is like a whole floor of a house! AND the backyard! A family friend quilts- her fabric stash is HUGE. Another friend collects stamps (not rubber stamps, mail stamps lol)- he has a whole storage locker full.

Lots of people have hobbies or collections. Its normal. I think its a healthy way to spend time, be creative, and make friends. As long as you aren't using the mortgage money for paper, I say do what makes you happy. If only having a tiny amount of stuff makes you happy, then so be it. Having a nice stash that I can go to and create makes me happy. Having the right tool for the right job makes me happy. Having the exact right colour of background paper for my photo makes me happy.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to amandahugandkiss

I wanna see this huge space, so I can drool over it!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

This thread also makes me think of what will happen to my scrap goodies when I keel over. This weekend, an auctioneer came to pick up my husband's WW2 collection. It filled a whole room. He had been collecting since he was 12 and died at 38. You can imagine the amount of stuff he had, but he loved it all. He'd sit in that room for hours, researching items, sewing patches to uniforms, obsessing over whether or not something was original, etc. It gave him pleasure, just like scrapping or card-making does for me. Anyway, to get back to my point...the auctioneer gave me 12 pages of inventory, and that was with some of it being things like, "lot of WW2 airborne patches." 12 PAGES. I feel for anyone who would ever want to inventory my scrap space...

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

Oh, and OP, don't feel like they piled on you. Every once in a while, someone comes on this board who likes to stir the pot. They often have a newbie profile. It's hard to tell. And like Holly said, no tone comes through on a thread post. No worries! We all have opinions about things, and I figure all of us have changed our opinions at one point or another, as we gain experience.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee

True story -
I started scrapping in May, 2009 and in June I took a class at a scrapbook store. I was so new to scrapping that I had very few supplies and purchased much from the supply list at her store. On the list was one pad of distressed ink. Behind me was a lady who had been scrapping for years. She unloaded her bag and had over a dozen pads of distressed ink. I was amazed and asked her about her stash and she told me she only bought half! I thought she was crazy, a hoarder, a compulsive shopper because why on earth would anyone need 24 pads of distress ink! Fast forward to today - I own 20!!!!!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to VickieW

Me too I love watching those videos so I would love for you to send it to me. I am very curious if I saw it before. I spend hours looking at videos. I have seen alot of stuff in people stashes. Unfornuate I have too much too. But I love my stuff.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to VickieW

Shoot, I teach classes and have an etsy shop and I still think having a ton of stuff is crazienss. But I do. I think that is a sympton of the last few years of scrapbooking (more 2003-2007) where it was a buying FRENZY!

That's because previous to that, all we had was the same 10 papers at Michael's, lame stickers, and nothing too exciting. Once stuff started coming out, it seemed hard to get, flew off the shelves, and if you wanted it, you had to buy it right then. That's why so many SB stores cropped up.

Now some people used equity in their homes to buy scrap stuff, some used credit cards, others depleted savings, and others did not save at all. It was very few who were frugal and smart about their buying at this time. But, whether it was scrapbooking or not, I think these people (myself included) would have just found something else to spend that money on!!

Anyways, I think we do have too much excess. I can't even use what I have and I have pared wayy wayy down and am in the middle of paring down again. I think this topic is important. I just posted about something similar on my blog. Some people will always go overboard, be it on motorcycles, gaming, shopping, Lladro collections, whatever. Just don't let yourself be trapped into thinking you have to be a crazy shopper/hoarder to scrapbook. You can be frugal and have awesome pages

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to Jennifer Priest

I believe that everyone in allowed to have thier own opinion and buy what is within their budget,,,,I sometimes wonder what will become of all My stash when I am no longer in this beautiful world. I have 2 friends who scrap and also My 13 year old daughter,,,,they can have it all when I am gone,,,LOL.

I am just happy that I am able to afford this hobby right now,,,,cause the truth is,,,it can get expensive.

KayMCee
Expert
KayMCee

• runzalot81 Said:
I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into this orange, plastic box... I don't need any more supplies than I fit into these two boxes... I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into these two boxes and this chest of drawers... I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into these TWO NEW chest of drawers, these two boxes, and this shelf... really... Okay, I don't need any more supplies than I can fit into this ANTIQUE BUFFET, these THREE shelves, and these two chest of drawers...

Cracking me up! But so true!
Curiousity has me too...would love to see the video so I can ogle all the goodness!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

• runzalot81 Said:

I resemble this remark

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to madmatter

When I first started scrapbooking I didn't have ANY supplies. I went to a local funeral home that put on workshops free to the public and they supplied everything. It was put on as a way to help community members go through the grieving process. Unfortunately, the didn't have enough interest and they had to quit offering the workshops. So I bought some stuff. I was doing fine for about the first 3 months with my one pad of patterned paper, a package of cardstock, a couple fiskars deco edge scissors, and a paper trimmer. Then I caught the spending bug. Fast forward to today. I have a whole bedroom converted to a craft room for my scrapbooking stuff only. Not to mention my knitting stash, my fabric stash, my jewelry making stuff, etc. etc. I'm affraid that if I buy one more thing for scrapbooking, my house will explode.

So being new, I can see how you see things differently. And as one person said, we'll see what you think in a year or two. You'd be amazed how your opinion will change along with your style of crafting. Its all in good fun and no one here really means to chastise you for your opinion. We just know that your opinion will probably change as ours did.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to cat_woman

I haven't been in the game long and I can tell you, it does build fast! I started out in a 3.5' by 11.5' closet and it filled quickly. Now I am in a bigger space (took over DH's man room). Just yesterday my DH came in my room while I was rearranging and said "Are you running out of space already?" I haven't but I had to make it more functional. I have cut down on my spending, but even with that, I am buying DCWV paper packs like crazy when I go to J! Just a short time ago I was afraid of pp, but I will use it with a drop of a hat! Some people do have a lot, but I will never say because it is so easy to fall under that category in a short time!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to HisGEM

whenever my husband says, "You have more than you can use in a lifetime"...I tell him, "that's the point, I want to leave some for my kids"

pbbbbbbllllllttttt

joannadeal
Veteran
joannadeal
In response to mjmone

I would love to have the link if you would pm it to me.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to joannadeal

I like watching the videos of the rooms on youtube... it makes me feel better about the amount I have accumulated in such a short time!!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-12-11 12:25 PM
In response to ehammann

But can we really ever have to much?It will all get put to good use one way or another!

New Kid On the Block
In response to alicewonder

I'm new. I placed four online orders within three days, went to Joanns and Michales and came back with a few bags. I still feel not having enough to get started, but I have to excercise some self-control. The credit card bill is going to be too much.

SassyScrapper84
Tenant
SassyScrapper84
In response to dreamsailor

i just read three pages of comments because i thought it was so interesting to see peoples views on this. OP- just give it 6 months, you'll need a "space" or at least a few bins!

yesenialesso
Expert
yesenialesso
In response to madmatter

I would love to see the video. I love watching scraproom videos

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 02-18-11 12:56 PM
In response to yesenialesso

I am also pretty new and I have to admit that I just love love love buying supplies of any kind and wish my budget was way larger. I'd love to have enough to stuff to fill a money bin and go swimming in it *lol*

However, tonight, I went browsing on ebay and came across a seller who sold thousands! of items from her mother after her death.... Most of them completely new and unused. That really made me think... I think as long as you really enjoy all you have that's allright - but acquiring stuff only for the sake of having or even only buying... I think that's waste.

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to Shivi

Shivi, who is the seller on eBay? I may want to peruse.

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 02-19-11 12:25 AM
In response to SarahMack

Oh she's on the German ebay site, don't know whether she ships internationally. I pm-ed you anyway...

nativeheart7
New Kid On the Block
nativeheart7
In response to alicewonder

I can sooooooooo relate to this. When I first started my supplies were stored in a couple of bins. Now..... I have a room for them and it is too small.

lifekeepshappening
Tenant
lifekeepshappening
In response to nativeheart7

I've only just started scrapbooking, but already the staff at HL and M greet me and ask how my scrapbook project is coming along - I'm there once or twice a week needing some gadget or essential. I don't think it's a problem so long as it doesn't negatively affect your family either financially, timewise or spacewise.

I have older kids, so bf and I plan to downsize to a small 2 bedroom house in the future. So with that in mind I want to be careful with how many toys I accumulate. Other than that, everyone's happy that I have found a fun new hobby.

Seamaiden
Guru
Seamaiden
In response to lifekeepshappening

Karen M....LMAO....hehehehe

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

• runzalot81 Said:

HAHAHAA!!! That is IT!! I started with a shoebox! A SHOEBOX!! Now, I have a whole flipping room! It is insanity I tell you!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Manda_K

well, I think just like scrapbooking pages - there's no right or wrong way. So the same holds true for your scrapbook space!!

As my hubby always says, Scrapbooking is your thing . . . you don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, this is what you choose to do with your time and money! He makes me laugh when he say's that scrapbooking and supplies are my "crack" lol! And it's okay when I have to go to the store to get my "fix."

It's a ton of fun and love it all! Not to mention all the great friends I have made along the way! and yes - I have a separate room - small - but it is well stocked and I've been scrapping/cardmaking for about 14 years.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to SmartyPants

oh - and I would love to see the video too - I am a youtube fanatic!! I've probably already seen - but love to see how everyone organizes!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

What is "too much"? No matter how much I have, I feel as if it's not enough - oh wait that's part of the addiction. I started with a CM shoulder bag tote, everything tool, sticker and pen I had fit so neatly in those nice pockets and sheet protectors they had. That lasted maybe about a year and then I was introduced to HL and other supplies, tools, and pp. I've been really good this year about not buying more because of my confined space. I've thought about moving to an unused bedroom, but we've discussed turning that into a family room, so no craft room for me. Plus if I get a larger space, I'm just going to need to to fill it.

Speaking of craft room...we were watching the news last night about the coverage of the earthquake in New Zealand. It was awesome seeing a guy receive a phone call from his wife letting him know she was alive and where she was. Well, I heard him say "You're in the craft room, which craft room are you in?" And I go to DH "She has more than ONE craft room?!?!?!" DH replies, "Honey, I think he said class room." I guess I have the need for a craft room on the brain.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat

• SmartyPants Said:
well, I think just like scrapbooking pages - there's no right or wrong way. So the same holds true for your scrapbook space!!

As my hubby always says, Scrapbooking is your thing . . . you don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, this is what you choose to do with your time and money! He makes me laugh when he say's that scrapbooking and supplies are my "crack" lol! And it's okay when I have to go to the store to get my "fix."

It's a ton of fun and love it all! Not to mention all the great friends I have made along the way! and yes - I have a separate room - small - but it is well stocked and I've been scrapping/cardmaking for about 14 years.

LMAO tooooo funny I love it...My husband kinda says the same...its my thing.

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to kajunkat

Wait a minute... someone said "too much" stuff?
Wha?
lol

heathersentries
Tenant
heathersentries
In response to Hey Jude

I agree with this one. Sometimes I think people buy stuff just so they can say they have it. Personally I don't ever see myself buying 3 or 4 di-cut machines....i dont even own one. I just buy what I need for what I am scrapping. I don't worry about the cricut or all those cartridges that I might use once or twice. If she thinks shes gonna use it all then by all means go ahead but I think there is a point where there might be too much! lol

NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry
In response to heathersentries

When i started ill never forget i met this nice lady at Micheals and she said "girl you will one day need one of this XXL rolling bags" i said i doubt that...2months later i went back with my coupon and got that rolling cart cause i needed it lol..it all adds up over time. Sadly i moved and ALL my scrap stuff is in storage out of state so im stuck with a few things for the time being..its like starting all over for me since i have so lil at the moment..and sadly this lil stash I have has added up a bit as well (still not alot but it does the job) lol

AndieBee
Expert
AndieBee
In response to heathersentries

• heathersentries Said:
I agree with this one. Sometimes I think people buy stuff just so they can say they have it. Personally I don't ever see myself buying 3 or 4 di-cut machines....i dont even own one. I just buy what I need for what I am scrapping. I don't worry about the cricut or all those cartridges that I might use once or twice. If she thinks shes gonna use it all then by all means go ahead but I think there is a point where there might be too much! lol

I can honestly say that I never thought I'd have use for a Cricut, since I don't truly scrapbook. But I have a baby Bug now, and six or seven carts. I have used all but one over and over again. The one exception is the "Tinkerbell and Friends" cart which I haven't used at all yet. But even though I'm not a huge Disney person, I see several things on that cart I can use for many other applications.

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to AndieBee

I have a Cricut Create, but I will admit that I am secretly really wanting a Sizzix Big Shot, simply so I can get the Tim Holtz dies.

NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry
In response to SarahMack

I have BigShot..love it.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

• runzalot81 Said:

Yep, this is EXACTLY how it happened to me! All I can say is...boy this stuff accumulates fast! I tell myself, though, that I'm just like a squirrel, storing up stuff now for leaner times!

But then, I'll watch an episode or two of Hoarders and feel the sudden urge to purge!

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to GaMtnScrap

Oh, and I didn't know there were videos of scraprooms on Youtube! That's totally cool to know and I'll have to check that out! I think I have a sickness for looking at other people's scrap storage and I've totally exhausted the scraproom gallery here and on all the other sites!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

• GaMtnScrap Said:
I tell myself, though, that I'm just like a squirrel, storing up stuff now for leaner times!

This is SOO me. I did stock up at one point. It was PERFECT for while I was pregnant (forced out of working) and then had DS (and remain at home with him). We didn't have much expendable income and that stash....OH it let me play and play and play. Adhesive and photos I could always find the cash for...but the rest of it, I had my stash and made such a great dent into it. I also was able to re-evaluate some of my prior purchases as "WTH was I thinking?!" and then purge those items because all they did was take up space.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to CMLeach

• CMLeach Said:
  • GaMtnScrap Said:
I tell myself, though, that I'm just like a squirrel, storing up stuff now for leaner times!

This is SOO me. I did stock up at one point. It was PERFECT for while I was pregnant (forced out of working) and then had DS (and remain at home with him). We didn't have much expendable income and that stash....OH it let me play and play and play. Adhesive and photos I could always find the cash for...but the rest of it, I had my stash and made such a great dent into it. I also was able to re-evaluate some of my prior purchases as "WTH was I thinking?!" and then purge those items because all they did was take up space.

Yeah, I feel my time for this is coming. Job situation is looking kind of shaky these days, we're supposed to find out in a few weeks if our plant is closing or not. I feel my stash only using days are near, and then I'm sure I'll find some things that fit the "WTH?" category, too!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

I remember when I started scrapping 5 years ago resolving to buy only what I needed to scrap the page(s) I was working on. Well, now...let's just say that my bedroom is also my scrap room. It started out as one small corner...then I had to rearrange so that my bed was on the small wall and move the scrapbook stuff to the large wall. This week I'm getting rid of one of my dressers so I can have room for the white storage cubes. I'm a single mom, so I don't have to share my room with anyone...but am counting down the years until dd goes to college so I'll have a separate scrap room.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Rosita

If she's anything like me it's probably years and years of accumulation. She probably never throws anything away and has no one to give it to if she did want to get rid of stuff.

Also, if she's anything like me......she has a family who finds out you love scrapbooking so they spoil you on your birthday, Christmas and every other holiday of the year.

I say wait a few years. You might be surprised how much you will accumulate. It happens to the best of us. ;^)

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to lifekeepshappening

you know it's bad when the HL workers are greeting you by name! Shout out to Teresa, my fantastic favorite local HL employee!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to papermouse

I agree about the natural progression of accumulation, but sometimes it does appear excessive. I LOVE watching scrap room videos as well, and one lady has like 10 Cricut Expressions and every cartridge ever made! I was like wow, does your husband know what you spend???

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to scrapsweet

I am sure if I made and posted a video I would be one of those people that you would think has TOO MUCH-- I know I do BUT-- it is what I do, I love it and I use most of what I have. I purge regularly and give away what I purged. If I had to pick a category that I have too many of it is stamps...
My husband's love is photography so we mutually enable one another and are at a place in our lives where we can pretty much buy what we want. I would not change this for the world!

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to terrihooper

I started out with a few pages of paper, a trimmer, and some adhesive, several years ago. Last night on a spur of the moment, I hosted a class for 6 people who had never scrapbooked before and all they brought was pictures. They had a great time and one lady even made 3 layouts. I loved it and the fact that no matter what they needed, I had it in my stash. I live in a very remote area (one gas station, one small cafe) and so I am always buying adhesive because that is the one thing I run out of more. My husband is the enabler. He is always seeing something I "need": a Cricut Expression, a new, better trimmer, a new paper stack, a new printer, etc.
I also use my stash to create cards because you never know when you might need one. Also, several times, one of the kids have come to me and said, "mom, it is my friend's birthday tomorrow. I forgot to get her something. Can I make her a memory board or magnet sets or stationary set?" etc. One day last week, my husband came home and said one of his friends was coming over because it was his wife's birthday and he had forgotten to buy a card. While having coffee at the local coffee shop, my husband told him to come over and I would make him a card. Thankfully, I had a cartridge for my Cricut that has a card and envelope on it and in less than an hour his wife was opening a card he designed and signed.
Oh, by the way, I pay cash for everything. No credit cards. And since my husband paid $8k for his 4-wheeler, I still have a ways to catch up.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to scrapsweet

• scrapsweet Said:
I agree about the natural progression of accumulation, but sometimes it does appear excessive. I LOVE watching scrap room videos as well, and one lady has like 10 Cricut Expressions and every cartridge ever made! I was like wow, does your husband know what you spend???

See, I'm usually all for saying "there is never too much!" But, TEN Cricuts? That's more than a bit excessive. Unless she's running some sort of business.

Gramma3x!!
Mayor
Gramma3x!!
In response to Smashley

Wow.. I thought I had a lot of stuff... okay, who am I kidding.. I DO have a LOT of stuff!

Snazzyart
Expert
Snazzyart
In response to Gramma3x!!

Well I had a really fun day..I spoiled myself silly...bought 2 Cricut cartridges: Cindy Loo and Floral embellishments (on sale for 49.99). The I got the 2 sets of 12 Pearl Flex Powdered pigments to make my misters..18 bottles of Adirondak inks,11 set of stamps. M has them reduced way down..and 9 Distress Inks.

But most of all I bought the Texture Boutique along with 5 folders.. I think that will do for today. I still have the rest of the week...ahhahaha

I know I have a fantastic scrapbook room with gizzillions of stuff but when I decide to do something spur of the moment I always find what I need. Now I will have to move into the living room and do my living room in my scraproom...because I am running out of space, I need more room to organize better...

Check out my "Little Corner of Heaven" and see what I mean..

Resident
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
And since my husband paid $8k for his 4-wheeler, I still have a ways to catch up.

I like the way you think!!!!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to ktmracing

IN REPLY TO :Wowzer, some people really do have too much inventory

I just had too comment!
Hi Ladies “Big Wave to you all”

I came here to see how to get started using all my toys.. And seen this post.. lol
I promise you eventually you just very well do the very thing you do not understand today, that you find another women doing and your baffled by it.... experience tells me so.

I have several thousands of dollars worth of scrap booking supplies paper, tools, pens, jewels, ribbons sticks and embossing stuff, cases of stamps cases of ink pads, every scissor some stuff I have no clue what it is! But when I learn I can do it. Some tools, hammers and metal pieces
I have no clue of what they even are for, lol But I know I must need them! So I got them. I need more Too!
Oh I must mention I have Never made one page! yet!
prep work yes .. I have over 10 leather bound books in the hopes of filling them. Oh and Victorian designed books/ Military too oh and mod color ones They are all gorgeous! oh yes and I have all the stuff in 8 traveling rolling totes and other totes on top of each why? so I can Travel to some one house to play!
I know just enough about scrap booking to know I need it all. I am now unloading it all in a room next to my sewing room and am at a loss on how to set it up like?
Q: why do I have it all?
1# So I can make my life memories! When I do make pages, I will not make ugly pages that will be an embarrassment to my Children’s, children long after I am gone from this earth. :-) So when I make a page I am pleased and leave a beautiful legacy that will live on and carry on.
2# Reason I bought it all , Therapy! After care taking for Alzheimer’s mother for 3 long years 24-7 when she passed away I became “the keeper” if you will of all family history! It all scattered every where.
Seeing it all tossed in a box seemed like a sad way to hold life times of legacies I made a vow to not leave one picture unidentifiable and every person account for and display their life with meaning in books.
So every time I get more stuff I added to all our pages! And give a history to my ancestrals lives.
So see dear that is my story… the why i have it all came with much pain… and growth as a person.
So we all have our reasons… life holds much for us all down the road as we come full circle.

No waste here I have 3 sons my future daughter in laws are set and ready to scrapbook their lives !
For every finger print there is a Beautiful different life than your own and as many finger prints there is reasons for the seasons of there actions in life. Wow don't you get it ALL Us women are a Beautiful woven master piece on this site So many creative people! I love it!
To all who do not understand just try to love the fact some find joy in something creative, lasting to hold their lives picture and go full on into what they are doing. Some women give 100% at what they undertake. They are the ones who love hard play hard!
Funny how we all see things different, when we all have eyes. When they look at my pages I pray if reflects who I was and how I put so much of myself into the pages they feel my love come through 100 years from now.

I wish you all pages and pages of over stuffed over done Volumes ! And so much left over the family will always fill pages.
My your pages truly reflect who you are and were. Because we really are family historians!
May we all live long enough to finish the last beautiful page!

Momnidaho

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to VickieW

Too much is in the eye of the beholder. For some too much is not enough, and for others, too much seems like more than they could ever use. I personally am a budget scrapper. I hardly buy at all until I need something for a project. Recently I cleaned out my scrap space. I had accumlated way more than I thought. People bring me stuff, I buy stuff, and I find stuff. I thought I had very little until I looked in all the knook and crannies. Not to say I won't put it to good use.

My point is what is overwhelming to one person is another person's room of gold. I personally am not offended by your comment. I want you to know that. Although you seem to be newer here and you need to realize that there are a lot of us who have aquired many treasures. Whether we will use them or not is not the issue. Too much or not enough is not the issue. Personal preference is the issue, and where you may think something is "too much" others will know it is absolutely what they desire.

I just caution you about sharing an opinion, and that is what this is, because all of us have different ideas. This community has a wide variety of scrappers. Opinions will always ruffle someone's feathers. It doesn't feel good when you do. So know if you choose to lay out an opinion, you may take heat for it, and others may not come to your aide to avoid the fire.

For me you have apologized and that is enough. I can tell a personal opinion when I see one. Now, if I were you, I would move on. Posting the video will only cause more issues. I will most likely take heat for this statement but I am okay with that. Don't be afraid of your voice. You'll be okay. I hope you take this more as advice and not a judgement on your character. I make no judgements here. There is just no reason to keep this arguement alive.

Good Luck and Happy Scrapping to All!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to ImForwardByDesign

I just have to say that you sound like a very thoughtful, intelligent, caring person. Someone I would like to have as a friend.

Tenant
In response to ktmracing

This is an older post but I'm just wondering if this person would be open to adopting a 45 year old who plays well with others....

scrappyjackson
Veteran
scrappyjackson
In response to Lauralny

• Lauralny Said:
  • scrapnread Said:
And since my husband paid $8k for his 4-wheeler, I still have a ways to catch up.

I like the way you think!!!!!

HAH! I am pretty new and am currently going through this with my DH. We're trying to balance out between my new hobby and his Monster Truck, he hasn't quite realized though his toys cost WAY more! (which from reading this, isn't always true but so far for me it definitely is). I can see how it all adds up very quickly though. A few things here and a few things there add up over the years.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to scrappyjackson

ok, so i stumbled upon this thread just by accident and here is my take. i don't work, so i don't buy a lot. most of what i have was given to me as gifts. i cherish everything i have. i share my stash with friends who are in need. yes i have WAY too much paper, but in a craft where paper is what you use, i have to keep extra on hand. i don't have a lot of stamps, i do have a cricut create. i have a few dies for my sizzix sidekick... all in all, i have to say that what the person buys is up to them and we shouldn't be judgemental of her. like someone else said, she may have inherited it all. i think we should just learn to enjoy our craft and not judge others because they have a bigger stash than we do. the simple fact that as we continue in this craft, there will be techniques we want to try, we may only try the technique a few times and decide it isn't our style, but we have already paid 20 dollars for the heat embossing gun and 5 dollars a bottle for the powders.... do you think we are just going to throw that out, no! we are going to keep it because in the back of our minds, that would be throwing away 30-50 dollars depending on how many bottles of embossing powder you have purchased... now with that said, i will be leaving the rest up to you... i just feel that judgement is not needed as we have all gotten things that we don't use and haven't gotten rid of them.

laurak1
Idol
laurak1
In response to flutterbye0419

Can I just say that if anyone is feeling purgey I'd be happy to take some things off your hands. I have to drive 4 HOURS to get to the nearest craft store here. I guess that's good given my limited space and budget but dang I'd kill for a stash and a room!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to laurak1

laura i know how you feel. i felt that way in the beginning because of a limited budget and space... now i have so much i really could use a spare room for it all... and to top it off i got 3 new inkpads, and 5 bottles of glitter glue along with a new stack of paper today for my mothers day present... it won't be long before you will have more than you know what to do with... it's funny that as new things come out, we all want them... i told my dh to get me a circle cutter for christmas... i'll probably already have it before then though...

New Kid On the Block
In response to ktmracing

Hi Everyone! I am new to this site, but have been scrapping for over 10 years. I read this thread, well most of this thread and wanted to add my own reply.
I have what you would call way too much stuff. However, I became very involved with scrapbooking when I was diagnosed with cancer and was told I had a 2% chance of surviving more than 6 months. Well, here I am over ten years later and still going strong!
My point being that you never know just why someone is doing what they are doing. My big investment happened over a long period of time. But I would imagine that yes, it is probablly over $10,000 at this point. That is a lot of stuff but when I go to make a card or layout I almost always have exactly what I want. And, mind you this is NOT a hobby you want to get involved in if you are looking for that cheap hobby on the side. If anyone says scrapbooking supplies are cheap (when purchased at the store) then I would like to challenge that. I only spent so much because it was over ten years worth of spending. And I wanted to make sure I scrapped as much of my feelings as possible for my kids.

scrappiepammie
Guru
scrappiepammie

I agree

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to scrappiepammie

yesterday was a perfect example as to why i have too much stuff!!! sb.com gave away something like 15k in prizes! things like that, blog hops, contests in general is a lot of the reason i have as much as i do...

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to flutterbye0419

i have way too much stuff. but my children are fed & clothed (with too much stuff also). I pay all my bills (on time).

It's my hobby -- I guess I could spend it on crack or something. Seriously there are worse things that people can spend their money on!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to ncyankee

you hit the nail on the head with a sledge hammer eileen... i was thinking the same thing as i have SLOWLY been putting things away since the end of the madness yesterday... i did notice today that my engagement ring and cross necklace are no longer in my jewelery armoire, but i think i know what happened to them... unfortunately i have an ex friend who has a history of theft and pauning things so she can buy drugs... i last saw them one day when she was here... sad that she had to steal from me to buy her drugs and the engagement ring is something that i cherish!!! (in case you are wondering, the ring didn't fit me anymore... it was waiting in my box for me to loose some weight so i could comfortably wear it again)... the cross was given to me for christmas and had a lot of meaning but was waiting for a chain that would fit around my neck...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics