Username Post: I do NOT get Glimmer Mist        (Topic#1552587)
Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

Ok, so for the card challenge this month one of the card ideas suggested is to use Glimmer Mist on some portion of the card. That's fine, awesome. I love that challenge.

My problem is with Glimmer Mist itself...I don't get it. I went to my scrapbook store yesterday and first of all the $7 a bottle was off putting, but beyond that...what does it do?! They have examples of it and it looks like vaguely washed out spray dye that has SOME bit of shimmer to it. Is this correct? I feel like I'm missing something! lol

(BTW...no offense to those of you who love it. I'm not against it...I have never used it thus, I don't get it. LOL)

boysmom
Idol
boysmom
In response to Penny Lane

I don't get it either, but plenty of people love it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

I didn't either until I tried it. I love the look, but only own 2 bottles of the 'real' stuff....but I still don't use it on EVERYTHING. I used a recipe Holly gave me and have made my own with amazing results. I posted it for you to try in the other thread where you first mentioned having to get some for the challenge. Did you see it? The last thing I used it on was this LO, on the flourish and word 'family'. and that's my homemade version, and about 3 coats.

Family By ScrappyMama6

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to ScrappyMama6

Yeah. I am going to try your recipe because...I cannot bring myself to spend that much. AND I TRIED! LOL I carried a bottle around the store for an hour and had arguments inside my head. My husband even laughed at me for not just getting it. I don't care...LOL I'm way too cheap!

So I will try to make my own I think...just have to hit the dollar store.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

Maybe the samples at the store were worn and faded?

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat

Some of the colors go on really light, for those ones I just keep spraying until it's the shade I want. The new chalkboards are supposed to be more saturated so maybe when those come out you could try one and see if you like the look better

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I have some,,,,I made some,,,,,,I rarely use them.

Just,,,,,

what's the big deal? I like gold on brown, occasionally,,,,,,,

but other than that,,,

you're not alone

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to CommaHolly

Everyone is different...I love it.

My fav is spraying white flowers to change them to the colour I want or need.

My fav colours are Marshmellow to give paper a frosty look and Cranberry Zing for the flowers.

It's just personal taste. Just like I don't understand Mini albums, or the distressed look.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to PhotobearSam

It's fine for you if that's what you like, but I have no interest in it at this point.

scrapperbee
Deity
scrapperbee
In response to lisymarie

I love it to add an accent color, change the color, add a soft bling, mask--use it on flowers, chipboard, cardstock, even pics. I try to buy it on sale, and it does last a long time--related, I was not nearly so pleased with spritz sprays--they did not last nearly long enough for the cost.

Here's a lo where I masked lace cs, so it looks like 2 papers but is only 1. But, as someone else said,--to each, her own!

G'pa's Ring By Scrapperbee

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to scrapperbee

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to insult their taste...I really am asking what people do with it, of if the sample I saw in the store sounds wrong.

Thank you for these samples btw, these are nice looking and I can see how it adds some interest.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

I don't get it either, but then again, I've not used any either. I'm too cheap to spend the money for it, too! But, I have seen a couple of recipes for "make your own" stuff that I might give a try. I might have a different outlook on it if I'd try some. But then, I said that about stickles too and still didn't get it after I tried them. But, that's okay, we don't all have to like all the exact same things, right? I figured that'll just save more stickles and glimmer spray for those who do love them. For those who don't like distress inks, then I can take up the slack there for ya...:)

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

If anyone is offended by what you have said Penny...then they have a serious problem, b/c you haven't said anything wrong at all!!!

I, personally, love glimmer mist...I have lots and lots of bottles. I've always bought mine online and I've never paid more than $5 for a bottle of it. The chalkboard does have a more intense color to it.

I use it to spray paper, spray masks, spray flowers (love it for flowers), to spray lace, to spray inked chipboard, to spray, to spray, to spray.

Having said that...I still have not embraced the splotch, which is my only complaint...b/c I just don't like splotches, but I must contend with them to use my glimmer mist.

The more you spray, (like in more layers) the more shimmer you will get.

What I don't like is the perfect pearl mists...I bought all of them...have used several and I'm just not happy with the look.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to GaMtnScrap

Have black and silver, rarely use them. I don't hate, it's just not what I grab first.

Expert
In response to Msceejay2000

I like it and really like to see what other people can do with it, but I don't seem to use much of it myself. I did use a fair amount of it in a winter album I made last year, but on a regular basis I tend to forget about it.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to HuskerMom98

I don't use my glimmer mist a WHOLE lot, but I use it usually on the inside of my cards that are white in order to give them a little "background." Since it buckles the paper a little, I've not really branched out into using it on LOs because I can't figure out how I'd stick a 12x12 into a book to flatten it!

convintojm
Resident
convintojm
In response to meezerpleaser

I bought one bottle after hearing so many good reviews. I rarely use it. It warps the paper and I have heard of ways to counteract that but I find it to be a lot of work for the effect.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 02-05-11 07:45 PM
In response to convintojm

I got my first Glimmer Mist at Christmas and I love it. I have since purchased two more bottles. I ordered mine online and I think I paid $5 for each bottle. I'm cheap too but I think they were worth the $5. They seem like they will last quite a while too. I've used one of the colors on several LOs and it looks like it has barely been used. Basically I've used them to create shimmer on the background so I know there are many other techniques that I haven't discovered yet. I did use the Coffee Shop color on the background of a LO about DS racing his dirtbike. It turned out awesome...looked like dirt!

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to LeeLo

Don't get it either! I'm too cheap too. I don't buy Stickles either for the same reason, I don't get it and I'm too cheap.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

I invested in a couple bottles but I haven't been able to catch the mist fever either. Used it a few times, turned out ok but I wasn't overly thrilled. I'm thinking I need to play around with it more, maybe it will grow on me.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to olleharr

I adore glimmer mist ...

I use it to:

make the page look older
masking
coloring plain white paper flowers
on naked chipboard (this is my favorite use of it)
to jazz up a LO tha just needs ... something

I buy it on sale (about $5 a bottle) and have about a dozen different colors

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to madmatter

I have a few bottles of glimmer mist, but wish it had more color depth. I just ordered some glimmermist chalkboard, can't wait to see how it works. I get my glimmer mist for $4.75 all the time.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-05-11 10:44 PM
In response to madmatter

I love Glimmer Mist! I use it in the "normal" way of misting/masking at times, but mostly, I use it to get a splotchy, messy, paint splatter effect. Here are some examples of how I've used it:

Masking:

Laugh Often By Ami G

What Love Looks Like By Ami G

This layout has the more "splotchy" effect, and as another poster mentioned, I also used it to color the plain white fabric on this rosette:

Sweet Happy Girl By Ami G

I just love it as an added layer of interest on the layout.

It's GREAT for use on fabric (such as the above rosette) or canvas:

Fly Mini Canvas By Ami G

Here, I used it to create a fun background on plain kraft cardstock. I used the leftover piece of October Afternoon journaling cards (after they were all punched out) and misted to create the rectangle pattern (I also traced them with a Zig):

Focus (Scrap n' Art July/August) By Ami G

Here, I sprayed it on naked chipboard. The more you spray, the darker the color you can achieve:

We Love The Fox (November/December 2009 Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

And here, a subtle misting gives this title extra flow:

Enchanting By Ami G

It's definitely not for everyone, and it is a matter of personal taste, but I just wanted to show you some things I have done with it. I use it on just about every layout and project I do now. And as for the price, $7 is not a lot at all, considering how long a bottle lasts. I've been using the same bottles for nearly a year and a half and still have some in them, and I use my GM a LOT!!

Hope this helps!

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Ami G

I didn't get it either, but I watched a couple of demonstration videos and I might try it. They also have these overlays that look cool. If you check the auction website there was tons of bottles for under $5. I really gives a cool antique/vintage look.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to olleharr

I don't like the "splattering" - not spraying an even fine mist. I guess, though, from other comments I've heard since I bought it, that is common and it isn't supposed to do what I thought it would. Personally it isn't my favorite product.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to dwelch

I didn't really understand it until I watched some demo videos and saw what could be done with it. Now I have 8 bottles of it and I use it on almost every layout. I like the wash of sheer color it gives, but I also like that you can add layers of it to get a darker color. And I also embrace my splotches - they're cool! I have a bottle of the Perfect Pearls mist and I'm not a fan. The bottle says it's blue and it comes out mostly silver with a touch of blue (if you squint really hard LOL). If you end up getting some, play around with it on some scrap paper until you get the hang of it. Good luck!!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-06-11 10:42 AM
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I don't like the "splattering" - not spraying an even fine mist. I guess, though, from other comments I've heard since I bought it, that is common and it isn't supposed to do what I thought it would. Personally it isn't my favorite product.

When mixed properly (swirling, not shaking the bottle) and sprayed according to Tattered Angels instructions, you should not get the splattering and splotches. I purposely shake my bottles vigorously TO get the splatters and splotches because I love how they look. I think a lot of the problem that people have is in the actual mixing of the shimmer sediment into the liquid. If you want an even, non-splotchy mist, it has to be gently swirled and not shaken at all. It also helps to start misting off the page (on a "scrap" paper) and onto your layout or project. That helps get the even, nice mist effect.

MommyMarci
Queen
MommyMarci
In response to Ami G

I really want to get some...I don't think I'll use it all that often but there are certain projects where I think it adds just the right touch. My problem is color choice! I finally got up the nerve to try one and, since I was just getting the one, I got some pearly white color. Bad choice because it really doesn't do much at all. So now I know I need to get something with more color but I'm paralyzed with fear at the possibility of again making the wrong choice!

cynscrapgirl
Idol
cynscrapgirl
In response to StarsNSparkles

I have one bottle also and am not that impressed even though I do know the Bolder colors can really be pretty.
It seems like you have to use so much to get the right effect and it does leave your paper saturated.
I do love Tim Holtz alcohol Inks and almost do the same thing.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-06-11 12:07 PM
In response to MommyMarci

• MommyMarci Said:
I really want to get some...I don't think I'll use it all that often but there are certain projects where I think it adds just the right touch. My problem is color choice! I finally got up the nerve to try one and, since I was just getting the one, I got some pearly white color. Bad choice because it really doesn't do much at all. So now I know I need to get something with more color but I'm paralyzed with fear at the possibility of again making the wrong choice!

I looked through your gallery (beautiful!!) and would suggest a nice, neutral brown, such as Coffee Shop or Hot Chocolate. I use Creme de Chocolat and Suede the absolute most, and both of those are discontinued. But I feel you can't go wrong with brown. For a pop of color, I also really love Patina. If none of those sound good to you, just think about the colors you gravitate most to when scrapping. If you're already using those colors, then Glimmer Mists in the same colors make sense. It wouldn't seem so "bold" and might help you ease into using it! Good luck!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to Ami G

As for the blotches, for those who do not like them, when I get too many blotches, I "blot" the area with a baby wipe or tissue, it seems to work well! I do it all the time with good results!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ChansGram

Along with Ami, I also love the look of Glimmer Mist on fabric - it is a lot of fun!
12x12 Wall Hanging By Here Kitty
Altered Canvas *M/J SNA 10 issue* By Here Kitty

I also just love it on plain paper as well - the thicker the paper, the better it works. It works really well on watercolor paper or really thick, textured cardstock.
I love the blending effects that can be achieved!
Rock Money By Here Kitty

So Happy By Here Kitty

It also works on naked wood as a stain.
Altered Photo frame By Here Kitty

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Here Kitty

I use a paper towel or a brayer to get a smoother look if that's what I'm going for

sb262
sb262 
Resident
sb262
  • sb262 on 02-07-11 08:23 AM
In response to olleharr

I just have one (Marshmallow, I think). I like the effect it gives, but the little splotches make me nuts, and it can be kind of a pain (maybe that's just me?) so I end up not using it much.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to sb262

Okay, everyone knows I love GM!

I don't know what there is to "get" really, it is spray color plus glimmer! I love masks and use it for that a lot, but I also use it to dye ribbon and fabric and to add just shimmer to the same color paper or to change the color of paper. I also use it to color chipboard and grungeboard!

~Fragile~ By Manda_K

I masked the little postage stamp on that one.

~Pure~ By Manda_K

I used it over diamond dust on the snowflakes.

~Prince Micale~ By Manda_K

I used it there on the Jillibean cardboard alphabet set.

All kinds of fun things you can spray! For me, if it doesn't move, I will spray it.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Manda_K

^^LOL, Manda!
And you just reminded me that I use Glimmer Mist to dye rayon seam binding to use on my cards! It gives them such a pretty, shimmery look.
PaperDreamsFactory, Inc By Here Kitty

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

how do you find comma's recipe for glimmer mist? I tried to search on glimmer mist recipes and I pulled up all of comma's posts- but that is alot to read!! I am not sure how to search for recipes on here.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to wilbur

• wilbur Said:
how do you find comma's recipe for glimmer mist? I tried to search on glimmer mist recipes and I pulled up all of comma's posts- but that is alot to read!! I am not sure how to search for recipes on here.

There are a few different variations - you can search on youtube for videos

Here is a blog post that really does a good job as well.
http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com/balzer_designs/2009/0 9...

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

• Here Kitty Said:
^^LOL, Manda!
And you just reminded me that I use Glimmer Mist to dye rayon seam binding to use on my cards! It gives them such a pretty, shimmery look.
PaperDreamsFactory, Inc By Here Kitty

SO cute!!! Dyeing ribbon with it is SO easy and fun. Plus, now I only have to get white ribbon!

I don't know if there is a recipe here or how to find it....but, you can use Tim Holtz reinker (about 3-4 drops) and water with Perfect Pearls. You put it in a mini mister. A couple drops of ink, the rest is water, then you put in a tiny little bit of perfect pearls and viola! Personally, I buy the GM or whatever mist I want cause making it every time is a pita.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Manda_K

thanks for the info.

MommyMarci
Queen
MommyMarci
In response to Ami G

• Ami G Said:
  • MommyMarci Said:

I looked through your gallery (beautiful!!) and would suggest a nice, neutral brown, such as Coffee Shop or Hot Chocolate. I use Creme de Chocolat and Suede the absolute most, and both of those are discontinued. But I feel you can't go wrong with brown. For a pop of color, I also really love Patina. If none of those sound good to you, just think about the colors you gravitate most to when scrapping. If you're already using those colors, then Glimmer Mists in the same colors make sense. It wouldn't seem so "bold" and might help you ease into using it! Good luck!

Ami, thank you so much for going to all that trouble! SB.com users really are the best. Going to add your suggestions to my wish list so I don't forget.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-07-11 11:12 AM
In response to MommyMarci

Marci, it was absolutely no trouble! Hope it helps you!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Ami G

$7 a bottle?!?!?! My LSS sells them for $2.99 each!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Ami G

I love GM but hate to pay so much for it. I tend to buy only 1-2 every few months. I've used it in masking, grunging, altering white ribbons, flowers, and papers.Maybe you could check out some of the layouts in the paint and mist challenge.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to blucifixtion

• blucifixtion Said:

Is it the real deal??? Actual 2 oz bottles of Glimmer Mist made by Tattered Angels???? That's astonishing!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to GemGirl

• GemGirl Said:
  • blucifixtion Said:

Is it the real deal??? Actual 2 oz bottles of Glimmer Mist made by Tattered Angels???? That's astonishing!

Yep, if that's the real thing...name of LSS please, and website! we'll see if they ship! LOL!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to blucifixtion

• blucifixtion Said:

that is very very cheap ... mine sells it for $6.99 or 3 for $18

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to madmatter

I always order mine here...it's only $4.75/bottle.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Smashley

I must have been buying them on sale - they really are $7/bottle here!!

frndly1
Idol
frndly1
In response to Smashley

I love my glimmer mist. I use it mostly on flowers, ATCs and cards.

I also purchased the perfect pearl mist and I am not that pleased with it. The colors are off from what you think the color will be.

Edited by frndly1 on 02-08-11 07:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to frndly1

That is a bummer, I want to try those PP mists!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Manda_K

has anyone tried the smooch spritz? how do you feel they compare to the glimmer mists? Is there a reason to have both?

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to madmatter

Smooch is more metallic than GM and also more opaque. You get a higher concentration of color with it. I like using them both for different things depending on the look I want.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
  • GemGirl Said:
  • blucifixtion Said:

Yep, if that's the real thing...name of LSS please, and website! we'll see if they ship! LOL!

I'm wondering if she is thinking stickles?

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
Smooch is more metallic than GM and also more opaque. You get a higher concentration of color with it. I like using them both for different things depending on the look I want.

add them to the "maybe I do need these after all" list

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
has anyone tried the smooch spritz? how do you feel they compare to the glimmer mists? Is there a reason to have both?

I love SS too!! Sure you can have both. I use Smooch Spritz on Grugeboard, acrylic and paper. Chipboard, glass, whatever. The main difference is that SS isn't water based, so you can use it on non-porous surfaces.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Manda_K

I knew the Queen of Mist, Manda, would know more about this! I didn't realize you could use SS on metal and fragments - thanks girl!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Smashley

Of course! you HAVE to heat it though, to get it to stick well...heat it gently.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Manda_K

just what I need ... another thing I really don't need ... I guess that's what I get for asking

maybe I'll pick a few colors of ss to try it out ... anyone want to tell me their faves (and yes, I mean you, Manda)?

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to madmatter

I LOVE silver foil! It's gorgeous. And it's nice and neutral to start with. But wait for Manda to answer...I think she just might own every color.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
I LOVE silver foil! It's gorgeous. And it's nice and neutral to start with. But wait for Manda to answer...I think she just might own every color.

Just that name alone makes me want it lol! I have a green and blue one and never opened them I might have to get on that haha!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

YAY! Now I get to "get" Glimmer Mist! My LSS is doing "Product Playground" at the end of the month and the product is Glimmer Mist! So I can try it and "figure it out"...LOL

queenashley
Guru
queenashley
In response to olleharr

I'm not into it either! My Sis and I scrapbook together and she seems to really like it! She loves all things sparkley.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to queenashley

You will have a blast, Penny! I think half the fun of glimmer mist is playing around with it to get the look you like.

Ashley - open them up and start spraying! I think you will quickly be addicted to using Smooch - I know one spritz was all it took for me. LOL

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Smashley

ALL the Smooches are good, no lie. I love love love Silver Foil, Black Velvet, Tea Party, Cherry Ice, Electric Blue, Navy Sprinkle, Cosmic Pink, Gold Glow, Log Cabin and Mixed Berries.

sb262
sb262 
Resident
sb262
  • sb262 on 02-09-11 08:42 AM
In response to Manda_K

I shouldn't have even read this - haha! I will now be checking out Coffee Shop and Silver Foil the next time I'm at my LSS.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to sb262

But talk about spendy! Those Smooch Spritzes cost big for what you get...

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to GemGirl

Yeah, Smooch is pretty spendy, which is why I only have a few colors. I find Glimmer Mist to be much more bang for my bucks.

Wild Wyoming Art Cafe
New Kid On the Block
Wild Wyoming Art Cafe
In response to Smashley

Tattered Angels has a new blog on their website www.mytatteredangels.com/blog/ and they post projects pretty much every day of the month to show you all that you can do with Glimmer Mist, Glimmer Glam and Glimmer Glaze. There's some really cool stuff on there.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Wild Wyoming Art Cafe

LOL Ashley! That's what I'm afraid of

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

OMG Glimmer Glam and glaze works on metal. GREAT!!! I already have 2 bottles of glaze and 3 glam in my new collection! WOOT!!!!

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Manda_K

It's sooooo pretty on metal!!! I took some little binding rings and just dunked them in tide pool glam and they are gorgeous!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

*notes*

Tide Pool

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl

• ColbyCheeseCat Said:
It's sooooo pretty on metal!!! I took some little binding rings and just dunked them in tide pool glam and they are gorgeous!

Girl, you're killin' me! (Rushing off to SB Superstore)

ashleyvanetten
Diva
ashleyvanetten
In response to GemGirl

I love love love the mists!! I especially love the splotches but I read that some of you don't. An easy way to get rid of that (besides using the suggestions of Ami G) that I have found is that if you switch it to a mini mister bottle it sprays evenly. I was actually really disappointed to find that out ;D

I have mostly used Smooch Spritz as I love the opaque colors, but I have recently tried GM, Maya Road, and Mister Huey's. I really like Mister Huey's and I found that GM is great for the softer effects.

Here is a LO that I did that uses most (if not all) of the colors of the original line of Smooch Spritz:
Colorful Ladies By Ashleyvanetten

Its not for everyone, but I love the effect it gives to my projects.

KayMCee
Expert
KayMCee
In response to ashleyvanetten

Ok GM lovers...how do you flatten the warped paper? I don't have an iron to use, only a heat gun. When I learn how to do this, I will use GM more! This is the only frustration I have with it!
Thanks for your tips!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to KayMCee

I use a heat gun on the misted side and then again on the back side to flatten it back out.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Manda_K

I usually use GM on my thickest cardstocks - the textured ones that are like watercolor paper. It doesn't really warp much at all that way, and if it does, just leaving it to sit for a while flattens it out.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Manda_K

To add to MandaK's suggestion, if you keep a mini mister with plain water in it & mist the back of your project with about the same amount of water that you intend to GM first, your page will "warp" about equally when you dry it with your heat gun on both sides, sort of negating the effect. I like to keep a piece of metal screen (like a window screen) handy so I can dry from both sides without having to flip it over. More work, but it actually does the trick for me. HTH

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to Manda_K

I use a heat gun on both sides as well to keep the paper from warping...

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 02-12-11 01:02 PM
In response to ehammann

Like Amy, I use mine on thick cardstock, too. If not, I just sort of roll it back the other way while it's still drying. As a last resort, if it's still misbehaving, I adhere another piece of cardstock to the back to give it more stability.

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to Ami G

Almost bought some today. But decided against it again.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

I REALLY want some, but I don't want to have to pay for shipping!!! I did find a LSS about and hour away. Guess I need to call and see if they carry it, then plan a trip to buy some!!!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to ashleyvanetten

• ashleyvanetten Said:
I love love love the mists!! I especially love the splotches but I read that some of you don't. An easy way to get rid of that (besides using the suggestions of Ami G) that I have found is that if you switch it to a mini mister bottle it sprays evenly. I was actually really disappointed to find that out ;D

I have mostly used Smooch Spritz as I love the opaque colors, but I have recently tried GM, Maya Road, and Mister Huey's. I really like Mister Huey's and I found that GM is great for the softer effects.

Here is a LO that I did that uses most (if not all) of the colors of the original line of Smooch Spritz:
Colorful Ladies By Ashleyvanetten

Its not for everyone, but I love the effect it gives to my projects.

Please go on over to the Clearsnap page on Facebook and share this lovely layout if you have a moment

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Ami G

Your pages will curl with mists you are using if :

a) they have tons of water in them
b) regardless of the amount of water in them, you saturate the paper with them

Some people say to spray the back of the paper with water--well, that makes some papers just disintegrate.

For me, I like to use Smooch Spritz. It has hardly any water in it and if I want a softer effect, I can then spritz it with water to get a soft look or even watercolor effects.

If you mist has a ton of water in it, then spray it about 18 inches away from the paper to get a fine mist of color without much curling. I've also heard of people ironing their paper. Maybe its just better to buy something without much water in it.

firenice86
Resident
firenice86
In response to Smashley

You can look up how to make your own glimmer mist. There are multiple videos and threads about it. This way you can make any color you want!!

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to firenice86

I adore glimmer mist.. I like the splotches, pools, and paper curl..It's random and I think that's why I like it so much.
If a paper does curl too much then I bend it back while still wet. If that don't work once dry I will bend and run it across the edge of the table.

New Kid On the Block
In response to planty

My LSS sells them for $2.99 as well and I'm talking the actual 2oz bottles of glimmer MIST. The owner said she ordered far too many so she's selling them cheap to get rid of them all. Plus our town has only 18,000 people and probably only about 100 of them scrap! Good for me since I have the entire line now and it didn't cost me a fortune! :>
Btw, she doesn't have an online store or anything. She's got a tiny little store of great stuff that you can't find at Hobby Lobby.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to glitterbellboutique

How cool is that Glitterbellboutique!

My new local lss has the mr hueys but they're alcohol based and don't have the glimmer. I have a couple of those.

Also there are tons of tutorials and i've made a few and using ink of some kind works way better than with acrylic paints for color otherwise you hardly get any color.

lol

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics