Username Post: Buy cuttlebug on sale or save up for cricut?        (Topic#1552591)
bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Ok here's the situation. I have 100 bucks right now that I can spend. There happens to be a cuttlebug at my walmart for 68. (I'm canada, things tend to be marked up over here, 68 seems like a good price, it's actually not even a sale price. I think it's because they're discontinuing this verson)
Anyways. Next month I will have another 50, plus it'll be my birthday so another 50... total 200 bucks. That's on my way to getting a cricut... I could at least probably find one on ebay for not too much more...
Thing is, if I get the cricut I'm tempted to go big or go home. It annoys me that my circle cutter can't cut much bigger than 9inches, kwim?
WWYD?

(sorry if everyone's sick of cricut questions lol.)

Edited by bcblondie on 02-05-11 12:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to bcblondie

Ohhh, that's a toughy. I do love my Expression, but I'm dying for a Cuttlebug for embossing. Which do you think you would use more?

liz_y_jose
Expert
liz_y_jose
In response to bcblondie

I would honestly wait and buy the cricut... I made the mistake when I first started of buying the cuttlebug first thinking that little diecuts would be less then buying cartridges (wrong I was) and hardly used it! That was the biggest waste of my money personally. Granted The only thing i use my cuttlebug for is embossing. The cricut was my best buy I've purchased. Do you know you can get a small cricut under $100 right? If you were looking for an expression check ebay, you would be shocked to see the prices they sell for on there. Check it out!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to liz_y_jose

Do you want to cut,,,,,

or do you want to emboss???/

cricut if you want to cut,,,,,,,,cuttlebug if you want to emboss.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Lisa I'm not sure. Probably more for cutting. But you never know til you have them, right? I'm always surprised which tools I use most.

Liz I really can't find a small cricut for 100. Not in store anyways. maybe online. It's so hard when you're in Canada.
Def stalking ebay though! I made a bid on one last week but lost.

MamasBoys
Resident
MamasBoys
In response to lisymarie

I have both. Just got the cuttlebug yesterday. I do love the cuttlebug already but if I had to pick I would do cricut and gypsy combo. I dont rarely do a LO without them!

liz_y_jose
Expert
liz_y_jose
In response to bcblondie

My mother got her expression for $80 brandnew! that was about a year ago but still. Honestly when i sold my small cricut when i upgrated because it was used it only sold for $40.

Great idea tho, seriously STALK EBAY you will get a good price. If you are going for mainly cutting surely get the cricut. Granted the cuttlebug has some cute cuts but not nearly as nice as the cricut. Surely worth the wait.

Do an all nighter at like 3:00am i win stuff all the time super cheap. I just got the once upon a princess cart for $9.38 with free shipping!

Edited by liz_y_jose on 02-05-11 12:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Ok you guys sold me on the cricut lol. I predicted that you would too. Most of you are such big cricut fans.

Do you think I could get the expression on ebay for cheap? I mean, not many people would be "upgrading" from that. Just quitting scrapbooking probably...

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie

Okay, go for the Cricut, an Expression, right? It is so much more versatile, size-wise, than dies.

If you want to emboss, save up for a Cuttlebug, or if you don't mind more size restrictions, a Texture Boutique. You want to emboss before you can get one, there are instructions out there for how to use embossing folders with a rolling pin.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to lisymarie

People may upgrade to an Expression 2 or an Imagine (but will lose the 12x24 capability).

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

• bcblondie Said:
Ok you guys sold me on the cricut lol. I predicted that you would too. Most of you are such big cricut fans.

Do you think I could get the expression on ebay for cheap? I mean, not many people would be "upgrading" from that. Just quitting scrapbooking probably...

tons of people are upgrading to the Imagine,,,,and when the E2 comes out in April they will be upgrading to that,,,,,,AND the price may drop due to the E2 coming out,,,,,,

sooooo you never know,,,,,,,

it's shipping and handling to Canada that may kill you.

liz_y_jose
Expert
liz_y_jose
In response to bcblondie

Yes like i said my mom got hers for $80. I would check late night. Or seach and watch a bunch. They really aren't selling for much right now because alot of people are trying to upgrade to the imagine and (colored ones)

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

I hate size restrictions lol. Like I said. My circle cutter only does like 9 inches and it drives me nuts lol.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

having said that, I spent 2 days stalking EBAY for an Expression, and they were going for more than I can get one at WM.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

• CommaHolly Said:
  • bcblondie Said:

tons of people are upgrading to the Imagine,,,,and when the E2 comes out in April they will be upgrading to that,,,,,,AND the price may drop due to the E2 coming out,,,,,,

sooooo you never know,,,,,,,

it's shipping and handling to Canada that may kill you.

Oh dear. I forgot about the imagine.

Wait, the create goes up to 11.5 inches? I doubt I'd need anything bigger than that... I dont need 23 inch die cuts lol.

liz_y_jose
Expert
liz_y_jose

seriously? Like i said my mom won hers for $80. Maybe its because we live in the U.S I am not sure.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Yes. Canada sucks. That is why.
I also just saw a note on one ebay listing "beware, duty fee may apply for international customers"

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to bcblondie

I love my cuttlebug. I have had a for 3 years. I use it alot. I got it on ebay. I cannot afford a cricut,but I see on the J's email that I got recently that the personal is $80 but that sale ends tomorrow. I'm thinking about it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

you SAY you won't want to cut larger than 11.5 inches, Susy,,,,,,,,

snort,,,,,,,that's what I said,,,2 years later,,,,,

whammo, I want the E

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

What would you need 2 foot long die cuts for? lol. Hanging banners?!

Heather J. Landry
Angel
Heather J. Landry
In response to bcblondie

I would save up for the Expression.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

• bcblondie Said:
What would you need 2 foot long die cuts for? lol. Hanging banners?!

I don't need those either,,,,,,

but you might want to cut shaped papers 12x12, like those fancy round papers that cost 1.19 EACH or more at the sb stores

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 02-05-11 03:18 PM
In response to bcblondie

Watch out for cuttlebug sales. I bought one at a great price next week a new bundle came out with 6 embossing folders a few weeks later one came out with several fonts. Both better value for money at full price.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 02-05-11 03:24 PM

When you look at it that way an E is very good value for money.

And you could sell extrass to your freinds for 99 cents everybody would win.

Now I want one.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to bcblondie

I have a sizzix and a cricut, and I use them both all the time, I started with my sizzix for die cuts and embossing and just got my cricut for Christmas. Both can be very handy but it depends what you are planning doing. If you think you might want to emboss and cut I'd go with the cuttlebug now and save the leftovers from that purchase and put it towards the cricut and then you'll still have over $100 at the end of next month and you might be able to find the E on ebay for cheaper.

SheCre8s
Expert
SheCre8s
In response to MrsAnnieS

ok heres the deal from another canadian who understands your delema

sounds like you are gonna want an expression, a baby cricut wont cut a 9 inch circle nor will the create, its mat is 12X6 but the expression is 24X24. Maybe I am wrong I have had my baby for 5years and am VERY happy with it, a time or two I have wanted the expression but mostly because the new colored ones lol. The price of carts here are HORRIBLE so you may wanna think about SCAL too. Think about it before you buy a whole bunch of carts because you dont technically need more than one cart (to run the machine) if you decide to get SCAL.
Now for the cuttlebug its great love mine FOR EMBOSSING!!! its small no way you getting your 9+ circle out of that. I dont use it at all to cut again I have SCAL so no need for it. but if and when you want a cuttlebug wait for a 50% coupon its $50 then
Oh and yes be ware of duty when online shopping from usa I have never paid duty from custom crops or tagmeag (on ebay) AND you will have to wait and wait and wait some more .....15days has been the norm for me to recieve my orders. Hate that part!!!!
hth

convintojm
Resident
convintojm
In response to SheCre8s

I have a cuttlebug and a baby cricut. I use my cricut way more. I love being able to cut the same shape at multiple sizes. There are size restrictions to a baby bug but it still beats out a cuttlebug. Embossing with the cuttlebug is nice but it takes up so much more space so I never use it much. Maybe when I have more room I'll pull it out again and put it to use.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to bcblondie

How far are you from the U.S. border? Would you be able to take a trip down here to get the supplies you want? If you're close enough, research the prices and see if you could get a better deal. Depending on the prices, you might be able to save enough for both! And look for store coupons too!

Edited by rubymillerand on 02-05-11 06:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee
In response to Monique_McCoy

they have the E at walmart for 175.00. I have a create but I REALLY want to cut larger for 12 x12. I never thought I would want to cut large but....... save for the E. Sizzix texture boutique can be had for about 20.00 at M's with a coupon and I love it! Good Luck

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to Linda Haulsee

I hate to be the one to point this out, but the Expression is12x12 and/or 12x24, not 24x24. Sorry.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to lisymarie

That's ok lisy that's still huge.

The states is about 2 hours away. I don't know where the nearest walmart would be from the border but. That puts me at a 4 hour drive. A good tank of gas. 40 bucks right there...
I'll see if any of my friends or family are making the trip.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to bcblondie

How far are you from Calais, Maine? There's a walmart there.

Even if you decide not to drive that far, I still hope you find (and are happy w/) what you're looking for.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

According to google maps, 1 day and 12 hours. LOL.

The closest american city to me would be Pembina North Dakota lol.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to bcblondie

ouch, nevermind, mapquest told me manitoba is in new brunswick!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

I am betting there's a walmart close to Pembina,,,and if you order it and have it shipped to the store, you can make sure it's waiting for you before you drive there,,,,,

175 plus tax plus 40 bucks for gas is probably cheaper than getting one in Canada with shipping UNLESS you can find a good deal on EBAY,,,,,,

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Lol ruby. There might be a city in new brunswick called manitoba. That's funny.

Holly you're probably right. I wouldn't have to pay duties taking it across the border would i?
Maybe we'll take a road trip and make a day of it.

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero
In response to bcblondie

Hey Susy!!! I'm in Toronto and have the same dilemma as you, walmart has the E for $350 right now, if you cross over just for that you are already saving. I have also been comparing other prices and boy is it expensive here, the xyron 150 on this site is only 9 bucks and i saw it at Ms yesterday for 23!!! We are planning a weekend trip dedicated to scoping out all the shops and am sure we will save a lot and have fun in the meantime. Reminder you need to be in the US for more than 48hrs to not have to pay duty on your E but even if you do it is still WAYYYYYY more cheaper

Edited by uruvero on 02-05-11 08:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to uruvero

Hi uruvero!
Good luck finding your E!
Grr. Duty is like 12%. That'd be another 21 dollars!

Maybe I should move to the states. Problem solved.

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero
In response to bcblondie

Sad to say an extra 21 for duty and it will still be chaeper!!!!

Veronica

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Yeah. But then the price creeps up to something that makes it worth it to buy used....

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

I found an E on ebay, new, 250. That would be worth saving me the trouble of gas... although if I pay duties when it arrives maybe not...

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Oh. Does anyone know where the cricut is manufactured? If it's in the states it'll be duty free.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Linda Haulsee

• Linda Haulsee Said:
they have the E at walmart for 175.00. I have a create but I REALLY want to cut larger for 12 x12. I never thought I would want to cut large but....... save for the E. Sizzix texture boutique can be had for about 20.00 at M's with a coupon and I love it! Good Luck

I priced them at my WM today and they are $249.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

I believe they are manufactured in China

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
  • Linda Haulsee Said:

I priced them at my WM today and they are $249.

I bought one last night for 198 at my WM,,,,you can order them online ship to store for free for 175. But, if there's a problem, it has to be shipped BACK and a new one shipped to you, so I didn't think 23 bucks was worth that,,,,,,I just went down and bought it for 198.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to bcblondie

I am in Canada too....I would wait for the Expression....I have the Create and I got in on the shopping channel and I love it.

I would save up as now I have been able to get carts on Ebay for as little as $15 shipped. Most under $20.

I thought long and hard about getting one but have not regretted it for one minute.

Check kijiji and others places like buyer flyers and such. Be patient. What end of the country do youu live in?

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to PhotobearSam

Photobear I live in Winnipeg mb. That's encouraging that you love yours and can find cheap carts. I was worried about carts.

So you guys think it's worth it for me to get the ebay one that's suposedly new and 250 incl shipping?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

which one is it? the E or the baby bug or the Create??

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

The E! Can I post ebay links?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bcblondie

no you can't but that's a dang good price if it includes shipping! I'd snatch it!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

r2c 4a2

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to bcblondie

Oh oops lol. Edit out link.

Edited by bcblondie on 02-06-11 07:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to bcblondie

• bcblondie Said:
Photobear I live in Winnipeg mb. That's encouraging that you love yours and can find cheap carts. I was worried about carts.

So you guys think it's worth it for me to get the ebay one that's suposedly new and 250 incl shipping?

You are going to get dinged with duty....Have you looked at tsc and costco online?

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Check Kijiji....there is someone near Winnipeg that had an expression with 4 carts for $275...no shipping....May be worth haggling for price.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Photobear. Unless it's made in the states, no? Free trade agreement and whatnot?
I have not checked those sites. I'll do that.
I did see that kijiji one! But then it's used. Maybe if I tell her I have a new one for 250 she'll haggle down to 200 or 225 lol.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-06-11 12:17 PM
In response to bcblondie

I have been watching videos on youtube about embossing with the cricut by turning your blade over in the carrier....I'm definately going to give it a try....can you imagine the 12 x 12 embossed paper you can make with the E and the Gypsy

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to bcblondie

someone in the post called "danger will robinson danger" was talking about getting a cricut for $75 at walmart. you should take a look at it.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

it's the create I think. Not the E.

I think it would be worth taking a road trip across the border for the weekend. Yep, I'm an enabler. You can hit up some of our other places too- A's and J's and M's for their cheaper stuff.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to Seaexplore

what's A's??

Me and the cricut don't get along, its evil!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Archiver's. There aren't any in CA but I hear good things about them. Most people who have them nearby LOVE them. There's also a hardware store called Menards. Again, not in CA. They tend to have good deals on carts and machines from time to time.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy

I don't have an archivers either. I looked online, looks cool though.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

but the 75 dollar create is not at EVERY walmart,,,,,so you're taking a risk if you count on it being at the walmart you're going to,,,,

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

I'd call ahead.

firenice86
Resident
firenice86

I have a cricut expression and LOVE it. You could always try looking on ebay. I've managed to pick up some pretty cheap items there

cra_z_scrapper
Veteran
cra_z_scrapper
In response to bcblondie

My advice, get the cricut first, then save up for a cuttlebug. You will end up getting more use out of the cricut for sure. The embossing thing is awesome, but cannot be compared to the money you will save and the uses you will get out of your cricut Hope this helps

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics