Username Post: At first I laughed!        (Topic#1553253)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Who in their right mind would buy a brad setter - of all things! How lazy are we that we can't put in a brad without reaching for a tool. Well, that was before my daughter called me and said, "Wow, mom, did you see what they've come out with!!!" And proceeded to point out to me that this is the best tool ever for people with acrylic nails, or even nice manicures. Humph, wonder why I didn't think of that - oh yeh... when was my last manicure. So, if you haven't bought your brad setter and value your nails, this just might be the greatest tool ever!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to dwelch

I laughed when I saw it too but when I was trying to use some brads, I remembered why I hate to use them. I have NO finger nails and often chew my nails so low that my finger tips hurt and was having a terrible time with them. I thought about that tool the entire time I was scrapping that day. Its about $7-8 at Ms and I'm really thinking about getting it.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to CSMmom

Huh...I always use my paper piercer to open brads. Stick the sharp tip down in, then pull the piercer down towards me and the brad pops right open. Not to down your post D, but I'm really feeling like some of these tools are just getting ridiculous.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to siameseplease

I laughed too. Then I thought, "If people are buying it, why didn't I come up with that and make some money?"

I typically use my fingernails, or some other tool I have around (x-acto knife, rubon tool).

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Bxr-Linda

I laughed at this at first, too. But then my friend kept handing me her brads to open (she has beautifully manicured nails), lol!

I would use Gina's method, with the paper piercer, but it's sure to result in a scrap injury for me. I'm too clumsy.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Luvmyfam

If I have a stubborn brad -where the prongs are stuck close together, I'll use this:

You could probably use an old credit card (or one of those "fake" ones you get in the mail)?
Products Referenced in This Post:

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like this thread, showing all of the different ways we have to open stubborn brads.

My paper piercer is an old one with a really long tip, so I haven't had any issues yet. If I had that Making Memories one with the short, thick tip, you can be sure I'd have stabbed myself any number of times!

Now Linda's got me thinking that I wish I had thought of this new tool, too. I'm all for making money!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

I use the end of a tooth pick to pry mine open.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to Just G

They were pushing the brad setter at ARchivers last time I was there. If I have a difficult brad I use any of the many sharp things I keep in my carousel. You can seriously get carried away with gadgets.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Gina I do the same thing. why buy a tool.

autumnwillow
Diva
autumnwillow
In response to Sneezy1956

yeah, I use a scrap of paper to open them up if they're stuck.
I'm a sucker for tools, but some of them do seem a bit unnecessary.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to autumnwillow

People laughed at the Gypsy when it first came out... I'm just sayin'. You never know.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to 950nancy

I used mine tonight and then read this thread. It is great for tiny brads!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to theellenbee

I bet this tool is really helpful for people with arthritis in their hands.

stephie056
Veteran
stephie056
In response to Luvmyfam

I absolutly love this tool.. I used to use my fignernails to open my brads and I was constatly getting the skin under my nail poked (it really hurt) .. so very worth it to me!

latina43
Expert
latina43
In response to stephie056

I use it and I love it! I have no nails, I am a nail bitter.....

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to latina43

I have thought about getting one, but I haven't yet. Right now I use a pottery tool to split the ends.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics