Username Post: Motivation? Where to begin?        (Topic#1554977)
orange-gearle
New Kid On the Block
orange-gearle

I am motivated to scrapbook. I, like most, have limited time. I also have a toddler. I have LOTS of ideas. This is how I need help. I would like to know what most people do most of the time. For example...
I have several "sets" of photos, recent photos taken that would look good on a single or two page spread. I also have several projects that I'd like to complete. I'm not sure where to start, how to start. For example, I really need to work on a chronological scrapbook of my daughter's life so far. :-) Also, or maybe the same, I have several recent events that I know already exactly how I would like to scrap them. But I'm thinking they would go in that chronological book I mentioned before...so...

Do most of you scrap chronologically - Beginning at the beginning and scrap in order? Should I do the 1-2 page spreads that I can already visualize in my head, even though they are totally out of order, then just put them in the scrapbook in order? OR keep plugging away and hope I catch up to current day? Just making this decision is making me not get started!! Arghh. Silly I know!

Anyway, does that make sense? I'm just wondering what others do...I'm sure it's a combination...but I'm looking for a general, overall...How does it work for you, answer.
:-) THANKS!

Scrappy_Angel
Resident
Scrappy_Angel
In response to orange-gearle

I am not a chronological scrapper in any way. I scrap what inspires me or if I get a paper line that I know how to use on certain pictures. This is why I love d-ring binders because I can easily insert my layouts chronologically into their albums without any fuss.

I currently have 7 albums on the go...crazy? Maybe but it works for me because then I don't feel any pressure to be "done"...except for gifts and gift albums

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Scrappy_Angel

In your situation I'd just jump in and start wherever I fancied I haven't scrapped chronologically for ages because it used to stop me in my tracks if the next 'chore' was to do a photo(s) I didn't particularly fancy doing and didn't inspire me...so I procrastinated! Eventually I 'allowed' myself to skip that event and go on to what did inspire me and I'd get a lot more done. I feel that if your time is limited you'll want to enjoy it and not have to spend it on things that you feel 'should' be scrapped but aren't excited to do. Leave those ones for when you have more time....say about 16 years from now

I've never worried about mixing single and double pages together either and I wish D rings had been around when I started so events can be slotted in as and when I complete them. That must be great. As for catching up....well I didn't start until my DDs were about 8 and 10 years old so there's pretty much no hope of that but the point (for me anyway) is to be creative and have fun. If my girls have a set of complete, chronologically correct, fully journaled, colour coordinated books when I pass away that'll be a bonus

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to scrappercaz

STart where you had the most motivation. What pictures/events do you really feel excited about scrapping?

Once you are caught up on the projects that take up the majority of your thoughts then you can go back adn work on the chrono album

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to Just G

I scrapbook whatever I feel like that day. I also make cards because they are typically faster and give me more of an instant gratification. I am also a list maker so I have a list of the pictures I currently have printed. That helps me decide what to scrap. I also usually like to sketch (very roughly) my layouts and cards. I like to have a plan...not that I always stick to it but it's a place for me to start...know what I mean?

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to caraboo

It seems that is a personal preference, I have a friend who scraps start to finish and never deviates-she just accumulates photos with the hopes that some day she will be caught up with them all.

I find that if I just go start to finish I lose motivation before I get to the end-so I generally scrap the photos that are 'calling' to me. I have them all organized in chronological order and when I need a boost I just flip through them and find one that just jumps out at me.

I also have a sketch book with me at all times that I draw out LOs and jot down ideas, a lot of times I'll sketch out a page and then the perfect photo will just come to mind and it will be ready to scrap.

orange-gearle
New Kid On the Block
orange-gearle
In response to MrsAnnieS

Thank you all so much for your answers! This really helps me get moving!! I've been in a rut! I might actually have some time this week to get a few things accomplished and I wanted to make sure I get the most bang for my buck! I'm going to give myself permission to just do what I want and see what happens. I bet I get more done!

Edited by orange-gearle on 03-13-11 07:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

I wish I could scrap chronological but if I did that it would take me forever.

If I have some pages that I know how I was done and have the stuff to do it i'd better do it soon or the longer it sits the more I might forget and change my mind and the longer it would sit.

So if I am inspired i'd better get it done right away. lol

Good luck to you!!!

Amonika
Expert
Amonika
In response to Cindyckj

I am a chronological scrapper.

The only reason I scrap chronological is so that as I scrap the books fill in the proper order and I don't have a lot of layouts just hanging out waiting for the book. also, this way I can plan properlly for the 2 page layouts when I need to use 2 pages to 1. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I have the 5 year olds album done through her 4th birhtday. The 3 year old, I have only done through her 1st year. I never deviate from this. It just helps me stay organized and motivated because I know what I'm working on next.

However, if you have motivation to start somewhere in the middle, then do it.

Edited by Amonika on 03-14-11 05:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to Amonika

I scrap whatever I'm inspired by that day, unfortunately. I have several projects going, and really need to work on my parents' 50th Anniversary album. But some days a few particular pictures or papers just say "scrap me" and I can't refuse.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to cshortel

I'm in the same place as you...I have a toddler and very little time to scrap! I was very excited when I finished my pregnancy scrapbook because then I felt like I could start on my son's book. I'm pregnant with my second child and I feel totally overwhelmed. I haven't even finished the pages from the hospital with my son. I'm just going to start scrapping what I'm motivated to scrap. I really want to do his first halloween.
The time issue is totally about allowing yourself to do it. I take time during a nap...after I've done a couple of chores...if it takes me two weekd to complete a layout then, that's how long it takes.

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to jenyjen3

When my DS was infant I did do chronological order. But once he turned two then I just did it how it looked.

When I would get the photos developed I would write on the back of the photo how I wanted to scrap it. Now that my DS is school age I have time to catch up on all the scraping that I did not have time to do when he was younger!

srob15
srob15 
Resident
srob15

My goal is to make one layout a day. Sometimes, I make two or three if I have the time and motivation. One layout a day would be 365 a year, no too bad.

I don't go chronologically. I do whatever I feel like. I work much better when I'm not constrained to do a particular event.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

New Kid On the Block
In response to srob15

I kind of scrap chronologically. Since I am so far behind, I try and keep my scrapping within 1 year. I am trying to finish up 2009, so I pull out whatever I feel like doing at the time within that year. I am almost done. Then I will move onto 2010, however, I am trying to spend more time scrapping to get more caught up so I am going to start doing some from this year too, while I work on 2010. I have some great pics of our 2 new kittens and couldn't stand it if I have to wait a whole year to scrap them!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics