Username Post: New here and wanted some advice        (Topic#1557069)
binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I am wondering how I can add more stamping to my scrapbook pages. I love anything that I can use over and over again, so stamps are great. But how do I add them? Tips or suggestions?

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-19-11 09:10 AM
In response to binkiemonstermom

Hello and welcome!

I normally use stamps by stamping the image onto (usually) white cardstock and then cutting out the image and adding it on the layout as an embellishment. But that is just MY personal preference! There are tons of ways to use stamps! You can stamp them directly onto the layout, use them to make titles, etc. If you're just getting started, I would suggest just practice-stamping on some scrap white cardstock. When you get the hang of it, you may feel more comfortable stamping directly onto the layout. But you can always just cut out the image and layer it on the way I do. Here are a few examples:

On this layout, I used a flower, fence and "blessings" stamp. I stamped them onto white cardstock, colored them with markers/colored pencils and cut them out. You can see how they embellish the page:

Blessings By Ami G

On this layout, I simply stamped the letters with red ink, cut them out as squares and made my title:

Red Letter Day (May/June Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

Here, I used the hearts and skulls directly on my background paper to add more interest. The scroll stamps are stamped with brown ink and cut out. The rose and the bird are stamped, colored and cut out, then topped with Glossy Accents for an epoxy look:

Rare (May/June Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

Here, the clock and the clouds at the top of the layout are stamped and cut out, then adhered to the layout:

Bloom By Ami G

And here, behind the photo, I have stamped a floral stamp with brown ink, directly onto the paper in that recessed circle:

We Love The Fox (November/December 2009 Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

And here, I have used a circular stamp directly on the layout, behind the buttons:

Sweet Soul (Mar/Apr 2010 Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

Here, the hula girls, flowers and palm trees were stamped, colored, cut out and added to the page as embellishments:

Rock The Uke (May/June Scrap n' Art) By Ami G

These are just a few examples. Stamps are so versatile. I also like to stamp one image onto plain cardstock (any color) repeatedly and make my own background patterned paper.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to Ami G

Welcome! Nice to have you around.

I use a lot of stamps on background papers. Cardstock or patterned paper. Makes them come to life a bit.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Ami G

Ami, your examples are awesome! Makes me wanna get mine out & start stamping!

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to kottens

And some examples from me as well.

HereĀ“s a lot of stamping on the white cardstock:

Another one with speckles and text on a patterned paper:

Swirls on a background paper:

A lot of stamping on a white cardstock:

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Ami G

Ami, Your LO are awesome!!!! You have given me some great ideas!!!!
My new goals that I set for myself have been to make more buy less. Using my cricut more and stamps more will help with my goal. I have a ton of stamps that I love, but hardly ever use them. I hope to change this soon!!!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to kottens

Kottens, your LOs are beautiful as well. I never grab my white paper because I have such other great patterns and colors around- but I always see such great uses for plain white paper which makes it anything but plain!!!! Great ideas!!!! Thanks!!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Great advice and examples so far! Many people use stamps in a different way it seems, so it's fun to see how everyone thinks to incorporate them.

I'm a huge stamp lover, so I use them a lot. Here are some of my examples on layouts:) And I have no idea why I used that same punch on nearly all of them, LOL! That's kind of weird.

I stamped the doilies on this layout - my new favorite stamps!
Treasure Hunt By Here Kitty

On this layout, I used tree and flower stamps to make a bit of a scene.
Yellowstone By Here Kitty

The banners, balloons, words and clouds are all stamped on this layout.
Fly Away With Me By Here Kitty

On this layout, all the patterned paper is stamped onto plain cardstock.
vintage Sisters By Here Kitty

On this layout, I stamped the background paper and stamped extras to use as embellishments layered over the top.
Grandma Cassel close up By Here Kitty
Grandma Cassel By Here Kitty

All the images are stamped onto plain cardstock on this layout as well - minus the bird stickers.

The Sky is the Limit By Here Kitty

I have tons more, but you get the idea

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Here Kitty

Amy- I have enjoyed looking at everyone's designs!! I am being inspired!!!!! I love them all but especially the last one, I never thought to use stamps like that!!!! That idea would be awesome in my disney book that I am doing!!!! I have some disney stamps that I bought and honestly didn't know how I would use them but they were to cute!!!! This might be a good idea to use them!!!! I am getting sick of my disney paper quickly!!!! This might be nice for a different LO that doesn't have mickey all over it!!!!!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-19-11 11:16 AM

• Here Kitty Said:
On this layout, I used tree and flower stamps to make a bit of a scene.
Yellowstone By Here Kitty

I'm sorry, but this just cracked me up!! Look at you, making a scene!!

Beautiful examples, everyone!! And thank you so much for the compliments!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Ami G

bahahahahah!!
I guess I take after my grandma (the one in the photo)!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Welcome! I have been trying to force myself to do more stamping on LOs, I have been doing it a lot on embellies, like die cut flowers and butterflies, I stamp and then heat emboss to give them a bit more visual interest.

Or I use adirondack paint dabbers as my ink and then distress inks over the top of the stamped image. The paint acts as a resistant and the inks wipe right off.

New Kid On the Block

Love your stamped backgrounds especially the flowers, Yellowstone, and Treasure Hunt. I have used stamps on plain paper but used one design all over the paper. Yours are very artistic and you gave me some wonderful ideas. Can hardly wait to get my stamps out again.

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to Klsciacca

This is a great thread!

I have a lot of stamps (by my standards) that I never use. These great layouts have inspired me to get them out of the drawer and start using them!

Thanks for all the great examples!

Jane

Edited by Frau_Cooney on 04-19-11 11:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

parisdame
Diva
parisdame
In response to Frau_Cooney

so many fabulous ideas! Thanks everyone

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Frau_Cooney

Wow - I need to bust out my stamps! These ideas ar fabulous, ladies, thank you for sharing! One thing I like doing with stamps is using Versamark to make a background on plain colored cardstock. It makes your image like a watermark on the paper.

chicarella
Expert
chicarella
In response to Smashley

Wow! Lots of great ideas! I'm ready to start stamping!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Smashley

great ideas, ladies!!!!! I use stamps on cards, but so rarely on LO's! I'm going to try some of the examples (which are ALL gorgeous, thank you for sharing them!)

so thanks again!

AndieBee
Expert
AndieBee
In response to CommaHolly

I just popped in to take a peek...GORGEOUS LO's girlitas! Awesome ideas too!

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to AndieBee

Wow... I am NOT getting the mileage out of my stamps by any means... beautiful work and examples ladies!
Thanks for the question and wonderful answers!

NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry

Hi welcome!!

Wish I had advice on stamping im just getting into it myself..I cant stop buying the clear ones...hehe

Yogi B
Yogi B 
New Kid On the Block
Yogi B
In response to NoWomanNoCry

My wife also does the technique to create patterned paper from cardstock. As well, she'll quite often cut out a stamp and elevate it with padded tape to create a 3D effect. She used both techniques recently for an Easter card. The green vertical patterned paper is stamped, the bunny she stamped and cut.

Edited by Yogi B on 04-19-11 02:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cheball
Diva
cheball
In response to Yogi B

Wow...all these great examples ! This is why I love this website. So much inspiration.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to gluemore girl

This thread makes me want to do some more stamped layouts too!! It's quite contagious

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-19-11 05:39 PM

A lot of times, I just spend a couple hours stamping things--I just dedicate the time to that, without a specific project in mind. I just use some of my favorite stamps. Then, I color (if needed), cut them out and store them. When I'm doing a layout, I just look through my "stamped image embellishments" stash for just the right thing. I might be weird, though.

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero
In response to Ami G

Love all the ideas ladies!!! I recently started getting hooked on stamps but all I do is buy them, now I can start playing with them a lot more.
Oh and Ami that is not weird, it's a great idea to just play around with them and have them ready for your LOs.

sb262
sb262 
Resident
sb262
  • sb262 on 04-19-11 06:29 PM
In response to uruvero

Wow - such great ideas and examples - thanks! (and keep 'em coming!)

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to sb262

Ami, I do the exact same thing! I also do this with die cuts. I find it helps to have them on hand to play with.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to uruvero

• uruvero Said:
Love all the ideas ladies!!! I recently started getting hooked on stamps but all I do is buy them, now I can start playing with them a lot more.
Oh and Ami that is not weird, it's a great idea to just play around with them and have them ready for your LOs.

I'm SO happy to see I'm not the only one who does this! I love the idea of stamping and when I see other people's stamping work, I get "inspired". So I keep buying stamps and almost NEVER use them! This thread has some GREAT ideas that I'm definitely going to use!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to leslief

I never thought about stamping them before hand and playing with them...that's a good idea!
I was inspired last night and did a layout with two stamps and inked the edges of the paper and inked my title letters. I need more practice with stamping in my layouts, it took me awhile to figure out what I was going to do. Turned out nice though. I love all the ideas!!! Ya'll ROCK!!!!!!
Just another question- for those that cut out the images- I am assuming that this takes practice as well. I am not normally free hand gifted but with slow practice I am sure I could get better. Any tips when cutting out the images??

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-20-11 09:27 AM

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I never thought about stamping them before hand and playing with them...that's a good idea!
I was inspired last night and did a layout with two stamps and inked the edges of the paper and inked my title letters. I need more practice with stamping in my layouts, it took me awhile to figure out what I was going to do. Turned out nice though. I love all the ideas!!! Ya'll ROCK!!!!!!
Just another question- for those that cut out the images- I am assuming that this takes practice as well. I am not normally free hand gifted but with slow practice I am sure I could get better. Any tips when cutting out the images??

You are absolutely right--practice, practice practice! But it's not hard to get the hang of it. I cut mine by cutting *just* outside the stamped line, leaving a teensy bit of white space around the image. I turn the image as I cut, to be sure to follow the lines correctly and evenly. And you definitely, definitely need some good micro-tip scissors for this, if you don't already have some. You can get them here at sb.com or at your local crafts store with a coupon.

I use Cutter Bees (see below) and they are awesome.

Hope that helps!
Products Referenced in This Post:

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to Ami G

Yup! I agree with Ami G!
Cutter Bee scissors!
And they're VERY affordable (especially with a coupon!)

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Ami G

I have those exact ones!!!! I keep them for my good ones!

Here is my layout I did last night:

[image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/617659/view /3206005/-1.html[/image]
Link

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 04-20-11 09:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Having trouble putting an image into the post but the link worked!!!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 04-20-11 11:21 AM

Left you some love! Awesome LO!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Ami G

AAAAAWWWWW!!!! Thanks!!!! These were sitting in my facebook file- I have some friends that scrap and we post our crafty things!

ebony_val24
Tenant
ebony_val24

these are such fabulous ideas... I need to start incorporating stamping into my LO's... Gracias!!!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to ebony_val24

I also like to stamp a "stash"...and then organize them so I can grab one when I need it. ( I really make cards.. not scrapbooks). I also do this with cutouts from my Slice and punches. It's sort of like having a little store in my own home...ha ha.

ScrappyPrincess
Idol
ScrappyPrincess
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Glad I decided to read this thread!! I too own a lot of stamps and hardly find a way to use them. Thanks Ladies for all the wonderful ideas!! I'll be sure to try some of these techniques!!

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to ScrappyPrincess

i need to do more stamping on my layouts too. this is one that i enjoyed making, and i love the way it turned out. i stamped one flower, then stamped it on a piece of scrap and cut it out to use as a mask over the first stamp on the page. then i laid it on top of the first and stamped my next, so that it overlapped the mask, making it look like the first flower was behind the second. then just keep doing that with the different stamps, and i colored in some of the parts of the flowers with a water color pencil. it gave the exact soft look that i hoped i could achieve.
i need to try some of these great ideas on this threade. thanks for starting it!

Sit With Me By Randasue

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to randasue

Very pretty!!!! I never mask....maybe I need to try!!!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I'm really just getting into stamps -- I've collected some, especially Christmas stamps, but I need to get off my behind and actually WORK with them. This is a great inspiration thread!

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to meezerpleaser

Thanks for this thread and all the beautiful layout samples. I am ready to start stamping on my layouts now. I also found a challenge using your stamps on a layout.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Sassy Suzi

I just started a challenge for using stamps on layouts! After seeing so many people were interested, I thought a challenge would be fun Come and join in!

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?fid/18/ti...

Veteran

Love all the ideas.Very inspiring.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to SHARON ELISE

Great ideas and beautiful work! I'm so guilty of hoarding stamps but only using them on cards. I never think to use them on a scrapbook layout. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 06-01-11 10:33 PM

I am loving this thread! Thanks.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Cica

This thread is so inspiring.
I also like stamping on chipboard embellishments as a background or "clear scraps" embellishments.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Wow you ladies have rocked this! I need to use my stamps more on layouts!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Sneezy1956

I didn't quite see if this was mentioned already

you can
- stamp ink or glue and then sprinkle; embossing powder & heat, glitter, felt, metalic powder, sand, flocking, microbeads, I even got this stuff you sprinkle that looks like little multicolored flowers.

- you can stamp a peelable masking liquid, spray over it and peel the mask away

- stamp with bleach

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Gelidy Gelato

thanks for this great thread and all the great inspiring info. I put this topic in my favorites. Can't wait to try some stamping.... thanks again!!!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to wilbur

The easiest way to stamp on layouts, and how I started stamping, was using alpha stamps for your titles and/or captions. Love the look!

Pippilada
Veteran
Pippilada

I never bought stamps for 1 reason, I dont think they are versatile enough for me. However I found a pack of little wooden letter stamps a few weeks ago and just used them to stamp a poem on one of my pages! First time using stamps. Don't know if I'll make a big investment, but I will keep an eye out for stamps I know I can use a lot. As soon as I can figure out how to post it I will....but for now its in my gallery titled "Only and Aunt Page 2"

Pippilada
Veteran
Pippilada
In response to Pippilada

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/316103/view /3298401/...

[image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/316103/view /3298401/-1.html [/image]

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics