Username Post: Sell the ATG to me!        (Topic#1559827)
Momma2Bryn
Veteran
Momma2Bryn

Is that what it's called? The crazy huge $40 tape thing that everyone loves?

I currently use Tombow - not totally in love - but it works for now.

Convience me to spend $40 on adhesive!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Momma2Bryn

Sorry, can't sell it to you because I'm one of the ones who doesn't like it. I think it's too big and bulky. I borrowed it for a few hours at a crop and just could not get used to it, then tried it again and still didn't like it.

I prefer Tombow monoadhesive and since I get it at a cheap price, I'll keep using it unless something I like better comes out.

If you get "sold" by the ATG lovers on this site, though, I think you can use a coupon to get it at Michael's for less than $40.

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to siameseplease

I use ATG tape for everything. I have never used the tool though- it just takes a little practice to use the roll by itself. GREAT quality stickiness!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to imagine.lilacs

i have a glue glider pro which is the cheap version. It's ok but honestly I would rather use the 3L adhesvive.

The tombow glue and most liquid glues warp paper

Edited by Just G on 06-12-11 06:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Just G

I would fight for my ATG. I am in love with it!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-12-11 07:14 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Do the math. The rolls of adhesive for the ATG are wicked long, way longer than any other tape, so they are a much better value. Even given that the gun itself is a small investment, you'll actually be saving money after only a handful of rolls.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to stick

I'm seriously considering purchasing an ATG. I have seen where people have used them for years. I used to use the Hermafix and never had a bad thing to say about it, but then the last 3 refills I bought rolled onto themselves and I had enough. I bought them all from different places at different times. Now I've been using the crappy Elmers stuff from WM and it does not stick at all. I have my handy Xyron's but they can't be used for everything. I have a 50%off coupon for M and was going to use it to buy an ATG.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to Vallee

I used to buy Duck adhesive that came in a pack of 4,,, it cost about 14.99 and I always used a coupon so I spent about 9 dollars on the 4pk ,,Then I got the ATG gun as a gift from My friend and God son,,,She also got the 3M adhesive in bulk and the amount of adhesive on a roll of the Duck tape was 9.3 yards per roll,,, 37.2 yards in all 4 rolls combined,,,compared to the 36 yards per roll of the 3M scoth tape and you get 2 rolls in the pack a total of 72 yards for about $5.99 minus the 40 % off when you use a coupon = about $3.60 plus tax ,,,You can buy the ATG and use a 40 % or 50% coupon and then get some adhesive,,they honestly do last so much longer,,,I have been thinking of getting a second ATG to use one with General all Puropse adhesive and the second ATG gun for the Acid free tape adhesive.
I love My gun,,,the other reason I will not buy the Duck adhesive any more is because They changed the way they make it now,,The tape is like broken up into long slender rectangles and I just dont like it.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl

I'm not in the selling biz, but I've read many sad posts from people who said their albums made with Tombow fell apart & had to be redone.

And, with the new pink ATG out, you shouldn't have to pay $40 if you're in the US, esp. if you have an M's & can use a coupon? I think mine was list prox $30, then used a 50% off coupon at M's. That was when I was willing to give it a shot, me being the thrifty sort, too.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to GemGirl

I love my ATG.. For the amount of tape on each roll, I feel I'm saving money.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to debby_westbrook

List price at Michael's is $40, where you can often get a 40% or 50% coupon. list price at Archiver's is $35, but the best coupon you can get there is 30% - Michael's is still better. Joann's website lists it for $30, but when I was in the store this weekend it was tagged at $35 (but was on sale, and for some reason rang up at 40% off of $30 - so $18 - even though the receipt showed the regular price at $35 instead of $30). I was unable to use a coupon at Joann because their scrapbook stuff is so consistently on sale, but if you caught it at a time when it's not 40% off, they still have lots of 40% and 50% coupons floating around.

In all cases, this was the price for the pink ATG with two rolls of acid-free tape. I can't wait to get some spray paint and alter mine to something other than pink.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to aquabunny

Spring for the pink ATG. It's less than $30; I got mine for $18 at my LSS with a coupon. They sell it in the store here or you can get it at M's with a coupon. LOVE my ATG and would not go back to any other type of adhesive for general purpose scrapbooking.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

Yeah, you don't have to spend $40 on it. My M's had them for $30 and then I used a coupon and got it for cheap. And the adhesive rolls last SOOOO long! It's definitely worth it! I am puzzled as to why I crafted without it for so long!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Smashley

I would refuse to scrap without it. It's inexpensive to buy great quality adhesive for it. NOTHING falls apart. NOTHING.

It's easy to use and costs me less per page than any other adhesive. I gave one to a friend who has been scrapping for 15 years, she swears it's the best thing she has ever used and can't imagine ever scrapping without it again.

Veteran

Right now Micheals & Joann's have 50% coupons this week.That is how I got mine.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to SHARON ELISE

I will say that at first I didn't like it...but I got used to it and now I love it. It does hold well even on glitter paper which is IMO one of the hardest to hold on. I use ATG and homemade glue dots pretty much all the time now.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to binkiemonstermom

So sad...I went to M's today to buy my pink ATG but they were all sold out and it was priced at $39.99! Even with my 50% coupon it still seems a little pricey to me but I sprung for a new sizzix die instead! I may try later in the week at another M's across town. The one by my house isn't very good!

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to Vallee

Ive had mine for about 2 yrs and have only used one roll on adhesive. I don't like to load it or how it goes to one side and not stay in the middle of the track.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to mollydog

Get it! I love mine. I searched high and low when M's first started carrying them until I finally found one at my local M's! I use TONS of adhesive (I probably over use it) and find that it's way more economical than the duck dispensers I was using. It's more upfront but in the long run, you'll actually save money.

Be sure to use a coupon on the ATG AND the tape! Oh, and there's acid free ($10) and regular ($6).

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Seaexplore

I have the pink one. I like it. I don't love it, and don't rave about it.

I say stay with the Tombo.

That way, there are more refills available for those of us who use it.

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to Bxr-Linda

ok...I have the red ATG 714......I didnt think I would like it.....but heard others rave about it......I always thought it was too big and too bulky for traveling with....but then my GF started working for a company that sold it and the refills and she could get it for me at her discount which is HUGE and saved me alot of money so that swayed me to get it...and it did take a bit to get use to but........love it..........and all the other adhesives that I have ever used do not compare to this. I use it for everything. I use it to adhere PP to chipboard and once its adhered its there and you cant move it.....I thought it was too big at first but it just takes time to get use to...so I have to say Im a huge fan, everything else I used before is sitting in a drawer....LOL

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
Do the math. The rolls of adhesive for the ATG are wicked long, way longer than any other tape, so they are a much better value. Even given that the gun itself is a small investment, you'll actually be saving money after only a handful of rolls.

DITTO this I forgot to add to my post that the ROLLS last a long long time.................

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to croppincarla

You are so funny Linda! Some truth to that too. I got the last box of acid free at my Michaels on Friday and that is the only place in Ocala FL that carries it! Or the only place I know about!

If one more person used it, I wouldn't have gotten the last box.

Then I went to my crop and gave someone else the all purpose that was in my ATG and I changed to acid free.

Gramma3x!!
Mayor
Gramma3x!!

I think you've sold me!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gramma3x!!

I just finally figured out why I like my ATG.

It's consistent!

The Hermafix dotto was awesome.... for a couple years. Then it became such a headache, I wanted to throw it against the wall and stomp on it!

The ATG uses very big rolls (no need to change refills 2-3 times during a crop), and it works, all the time, every time!

Now I know that to buy when I need adhesive. No standing in the store, trying to figure out the best value. For me, all that is worth what I paid for it.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda - I also almost threw my Dotto against the wall trying to refill it. That thing was impossible!! Instead, I just threw it in the garbage. LOL It wasn't worth the stress! And that's another reason I like the ATG. Once I figured out the CORRECT way to refill it, it was so super easy. I still need to use the diagram, but that's only because it hardly ever needs to be refilled.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
Linda - I also almost threw my Dotto against the wall trying to refill it. That thing was impossible!! Instead, I just threw it in the garbage. LOL It wasn't worth the stress! And that's another reason I like the ATG. Once I figured out the CORRECT way to refill it, it was so super easy. I still need to use the diagram, but that's only because it hardly ever needs to be refilled.

Funny thing was... I used it for years, and really liked it. Never had any problem loading it. Worked fine.

Then, something changed, and the tape kept backing over itself. I'd do several runs, then it would get messed up, and I'd have to unroll the used part, and re-thread it. I was spending more time messing with the stupid dispenser than actually scrappinig!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I had trouble threading the tape on my ATG the first few times - even took it to the frame dept at Michaels and they showed me how to do it.

Now I don't even look at the diagram. I just know how to do it and it only takes a minute but at first I gave it to my son to do, to my husband. Now its easy for me.

Oh - got my 24 boxes of Acid Free tape from the frame place. I just ordered it Thursday night! Fantastic service! Now I have 48 rolls!

kdinsmore
Guru
kdinsmore

I was skeptical about the initial investment, as I bought my ATG before M and J's had the pink one. I use mine for 90% of my scrappy work. It's large enough so I don't misplace it, it works consistently, there's not a lot of waste to throw away, and if you ever have a serious problem with your ATG, you can call 3M and they will replace it. It is a bit large, but you get used to it pretty quickly. There are 2 pack tape refills, and I usually buy them for 40/50% off. Since the rolls are so big, I can go for a month or 2 on a roll. If you're worried about refilling the ATG, sb.com has a really nice video that helped me figure out how to reload it. The tape is very secure, and I haven't had papers fall out of albums or cards fall apart yet.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kdinsmore

When you buy it there is no tape on it - the tape is included in the box.

When I bought mine I opened it and got Michaels to show me how to load it so I understood. Once after that I was in the store for a crop and had them show me. Now I'm fine.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I have the pink one and like it alot ...

but I still love my Glue Glider Pro ... smaller, lighter, easier to use and a joke to reload (so so easy) ... BUT the refills are WAY more expensive and create alot of waste

so I alternate ... ATG at home and GGP at crops

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

In my opinion: I heard all the hype about this ATG adhesive and thought as others have stated that it is too big and hard to use or put tape in but when I went to the CKC in Vally Forge and all my tape runners ran out in a class one of the kind scrappy ladies allowed me to use hers and I was sold on it but it still took me some time to purchase it until M's had the pink made for scrappers like us!!! So like others stated I used my coupon to buy my ATG and the refill tapes but I haven't used all the refills yet, then again I haven't scrapbook in a while as well because of work and I've been in a rut lately!!
But I do hope you find what is convenient for you and your pockets!!!
Happy Scrapping!!!!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to Thaiti30

I'm enjoying this thread. I'm happy with my Xyron tape runner right now and always thought the ATG was so huge and bulky. That's the convincing I need, that it isn't a pain because its so big!

mandiescrapbooks
Tenant
mandiescrapbooks
In response to Bxr-Linda

BUY IT! in the end you save so much money on tape! I bought it because I had a 40% off coupon, but after using it, i think its even worth the 40 dollars! I love it. I can't stress that enough. LOL.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics