Username Post: What's Hot? What's Not?        (Topic#1559857)
KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

What types of themes or products do you think are red 'hot' right now?

And what items are you simply over or not really all that crazy about?

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

For me, it's the latest Wizard of Oz line from Graphic 45!

I already can't wait to get my hands on it!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone does with the BasicGrey Out Of Print line (as mentioned in a previous thread topic!)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

There's also a whole lot from Echo Park that I'm waiting to buy.

Some is recent, some is older.

Eitherway, everything always seems to be too cute at the same time!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to KellyCali

I currently love a couple lines from Memory Works.

I'm also kinda curious to see if I fall in love with the Oxford collection from Basic Grey -- maybe I'm just not there, yet, but I'm definitely on the lookout for paper that works for a pre-schooler's first day of school in September.... I can't find it to link, even though I JUST found it in the What's New section.

I'm kinda sad that I seem to be "over" Prima. I'm just not excited about the flowers they've created lately.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

(In case you haven't heard), Smash Books are all the rage!

Luckily, I've been creating these for years! I have about 10 in the works, as we speak! (mainly for the kids!) So, I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that there's now an official group of fans & followers. As well as a whole line of products specifically geared towards them!

Products Referenced in This Post:

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Vintage is definitely still in!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Keys, clocks, birdcages, gates, doors

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

The whole line of the LaBlanche stamps!

I only have 2 so far, but I so need more!

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to KellyCali

Um... Glubers. I LOVE them lol. That and Fancy Pants Filters.

There are tons of papers I want/need in all different styles

My wishlist is huge right now!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I too am excited that Junk/Smash books are finally the rage. I was thrilled when I found the ring binder Notation kit from Teresa Collins. I am using it as the bases for my Smash book and much prefer it because as a three ring binder it is easy to add all kinds of junk. By the way I am officially calling it "this and that".

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to theellenbee

lovin' the new smash books and I have to find an excuse to buy the K&Co. line

also want:

Bo Bunny Beach Bum
Basic Grey Out of Print
Basic Grey Oxford

hot trends for me include water distressing, stamping, vintage, burlap, border punches, embossing

kind of embracing all new techniques at the moment ...

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

I'm loving the echo park (got splash & for the record). and as much as I love basic grey. I'm really into Fancy pants these days.

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to NVyankee

I think the border punches are a pretty hot item now too. I really love mine!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to gluemore girl

That smash book is a neat idea! First time I've seen that!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I'm loving the double sided border punches right now!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

Double sided border punches??? OOoooooohhhh! I haven't seen those yet.

I am interested in the new Graphic 45 Wizard of Oz. Not sure what I would do with it, but maybe I would just frame it because it's pretty.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Luvmyfam

Anything bright and beachy.

Karen3066
Idol
Karen3066
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
(In case you haven't heard), Smash Books are all the rage!

Luckily, I've been creating these for years! I have about 10 in the works, as we speak! (mainly for the kids!) So, I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that there's now an official group of fans & followers. As well as a whole line of products specifically geared towards them!

This is totally on my wishlist!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen3066

Here is one of the double sided punches:

Cancun - Cookie Monster By Henri Jean

If you look at the brown ribbonny (like that word?) thing across the bottom - its a double sided punch. I have several of them now.

We were in Cancun at one of the plazas and they had a cookie monster statue and also a fake shark for a photo op.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm not understanding what smash books are! HELP!!!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
Anything bright and beachy.

Same here. Lauderdale and Beach Babe (i just bought that)

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• Henri Jean Said:
I'm not understanding what smash books are! HELP!!!

I understand them to be big on memoribilia and embellis. Like more of the old fashioned scrapbooks where everything was smashed together

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Just G

I just got my delivery of Basic Grey's Sweet Threads collection pack. Can't wait to play with it!

And I got a smash book over the weekend. Well, it's an A5 sprung notebook with recycled paper and I'm going to use it as a smash book. $8 instead of nearly $13 so I'm happy.

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob

Here's a video from CHA about smashbooks. It's art journaling on the go incorporating your ephemera (like ticket stubs etc) and adding photos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7NfgfLLPDs

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob
In response to KellyCali

I'm excited by the new DCWV stack "Once Upon A Time". I just saw it today and flipped through. So pretty and so right for a bunch of my daughter's photos when she was little.

gluemore girl
Expert
gluemore girl
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I'm liking the Sweet Threads collection pack too... I'm liking a lot of the new Basic Grey (as always)...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

The Sew Easy tool is HOT right now. It's so hot that it's hard to find the different heads in stock from online stores!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Oh - I like the idea of smash books! Plus, my name is Smash, so that works out great! LOL I have tons of movie ticket stubs and concert tickets! I may have to get me one of those. I am loving vintage and distress stuff lately, I really like that "old timey" look. I just can't get into Basic Grey. The colors and patterns just don't grab me. I really want to try Glubers! I love making flowers!

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 06-14-11 06:27 AM
In response to Smashley

I love the smash books too...they remind me so much of the scrapping I did back in high school....sadly, I took them all apart when real scrapping got popular.
I think I would make my own tho, rather than buying one.
I'm also loving all the dress forms I am seeing, and can't wait to make them myself!

I can't think of any technique that I don't like right now.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to rtay

The smash books are cool - thank you for posting the link.

Still like the 12 x 12 format for my stuff though and I really like having the plastic sleeves. However, some of the pages they showed i the smash book look a lot like some of my scrapbook pages!

I include the things in my scrapbooks that were in the smash books.

I have a 16 year old niece who is in high school. This would be so perfect for her!

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson

SMASH! I can't wait to get one. I may also get my teenage niece started on one. What a fun way to collect all your thoughts and ideas. Saw them at CHA and fell in love with them then. I'm on the to notify list here when they come in.
I also am loving Echo Park products, Tim Holtz (natch!), and Graphic 45. And jewelry making.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to ASiverson

• ASiverson Said:
SMASH! I can't wait to get one. I may also get my teenage niece started on one. What a fun way to collect all your thoughts and ideas. Saw them at CHA and fell in love with them then. I'm on the to notify list here when they come in.
I also am loving Echo Park products, Tim Holtz (natch!), and Graphic 45. And jewelry making.

I have been all over Tim Holtz stuff lately too! I just got a set of his cling rubber stamps and they are awesome!! I just wish they weren't $30/set.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Smashley

anything vintage, including images,,,,antiquing and distressing, stamping (lovvvvvvvvvvve the LaBlanche stamps, I have nine so far),,,,nestabilities and shapeabilities, almost anything tim Holtz (go to M's and use a coupon, Ash),,,,,clocks, fences, bird cages, etc,,,,,satin, sheer and velvet ribbon, sentiment stamps (I am collecting the sets like wild fire,,,I need ALL the new Fiskars sentiments sets and use a coupon at J's for them--15 bucks before coupons for a LARGE set so a good price!),,,,spellbinders rose creations dies (love love LOVE making my own roses,,cheap, easy, quick and I can make them in any color!),,,pearls, strings of pearls,,,,using several stamps together/layering stamps to make my own image,,,,baubles, charms, stick pins, hardware, and metal embellishments,,,dress forms, and old lace,,,,,,

I am so over rub ons and cheap stamps,,,,cutesy cricut carts,,,,and alphas of almost any kind,,,,,so over MOST stickles and glimmer mist colors,,,,,,,and most primary colors can go take a long walk off a short pier.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

OH, and I forgot,,,I love love LOVE the Justrite stamps!!!!! I'd love to own every single set!!!!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley

• CommaHolly Said:
anything vintage, including images,,,,antiquing and distressing, stamping (lovvvvvvvvvvve the LaBlanche stamps, I have nine so far),,,,nestabilities and shapeabilities, almost anything tim Holtz (go to M's and use a coupon, Ash),,,,,clocks, fences, bird cages, etc,,,,,satin, sheer and velvet ribbon, sentiment stamps (I am collecting the sets like wild fire,,,I need ALL the new Fiskars sentiments sets and use a coupon at J's for them--15 bucks before coupons for a LARGE set so a good price!),,,,spellbinders rose creations dies (love love LOVE making my own roses,,cheap, easy, quick and I can make them in any color!),,,pearls, strings of pearls,,,,using several stamps together/layering stamps to make my own image,,,,baubles, charms, stick pins, hardware, and metal embellishments,,,dress forms, and old lace,,,,,,

I am so over rub ons and cheap stamps,,,,cutesy cricut carts,,,,and alphas of almost any kind,,,,,so over MOST stickles and glimmer mist colors,,,,,,,and most primary colors can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Don't hold back, Holls, tell us how you REALLY feel!! LOL

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Smashley

I had no idea until I typed it that I felt so strongly

Smashley
Idol
Smashley

I am also not a fan of bright primary colors. I just feel like anything I do with them looks like a circus when I'm done with it. LOL

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Smashley

Not a trend, but I am so over Pioneer albums, after I had to go through 30 gift album pages and trim a quarter inch off each of them so they would fit in the Pioneer album I had stupidly bought.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I remember having to cut cardstock and paper on finished pages. What a pain. I don't buy those.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Not a trend, but I am so over Pioneer albums, after I had to go through 30 gift album pages and trim a quarter inch off each of them so they would fit in the Pioneer album I had stupidly bought.

I have also had to do this!! I will never buy a Pioneer album again!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I still like primary colors, especially red (paired with charcoal or black) ...

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to KellyCali

are we over OWLS yet?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I never liked owls,,,,,now BIRDS, I can like,,,,,but owls? no thanks,,,,,

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I like owls ... never really got into them scrap-wise, but the pages I've seen with them are adorable

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to madmatter

apparently I'm feeling contrary today ...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

lol,,,,nooooooo you're feeling like spelling out your likes and dislikes Nothing wrong with that, that's what the thread was started for!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Not sure if it's still a trend, but I also do not like owls, birds, deer, or any woodland creature (for scrapbooking).

Anyone watch Portlandia? There's a skit - "put a bird on it"
In Portland, people just put a bird on it and call it art!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've never used creatures - doubt I ever will unless they go along with the layout subject.

However for a waterfall layout, I am using a butterfly border because I like the border and I'm determined to use it somewhere.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I personally have a thing for butterflies ...

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Oh I'm so in love with the Teresa Collins album. I have to have that!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Sneezy1956

Oh I LOVE owls and birds and woodland creatures! But then my house at home backs onto a beech wood and we have deer, squirrels, foxes, badgers and hundreds of birds and I scrap those photos a lot.

I think the key thing for me is appropriateness. I wouldn't use owls to embellish my niece's school photo for example. But I might for photos of her walking in the woods or playing in my garden, or sleeping.

I struggle with using the latest trend on LOs just because, you know?

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I also don't use owls or birds. I think pages that other people do with them are cute, but it's just not me. I am slightly obsessed with butterflies and flowers, though.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics