Page 4 of 54 
Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug OPEN!        (Topic#1561931)
Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-19-11 12:47 PM
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Annie,

I had a senior moment last night but will try to get you the info on Barbados you asked for tonight. Sorry.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-19-11 01:01 PM

Karen:

Here is a few examples of memorabilia I have used:

NP brochure and passport stamp:

USVI National Park By AK Teddy Bear

Room cards, map of ship and sizzle sticks:

Room With A View By AK Teddy Bear

Pamphlet from the ship:

EC Cruise - Volume Scrap Challenge By AK Teddy Bear

Boarding passes, money and pocket from the airline tickets:

Alaska to Fiji By AK Teddy Bear

Armband from shore excursion:

Cayman Turtle Page 1 By AK Teddy Bear

Money, money, money and one thing I'm famous for is taking a photo of a license plate.

Honduras Page 1 By AK Teddy Bear

Just thought I would give you some things to think about!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I have some papers and things and more ready to order when I hit the "Submit" button to SYT. However, will buy more when I get home and see what I need but there are so many I know I need that I ordered them.

There is a line of travel papers called "Passport" and one side is blue with the seal and name of the country but I don't use that side. The other side is repetitive with the name of the county and I use blocks of it for borders and things so I ordered that for Russia and China and a few other places.

I have been known to pick up a few papers and die cuts for places I have never seen but just loved them. I almost want to go there so I can use the cool stuff I bought. I bought a beautiful Africa diecut with no plans to go to Africa right now.

I buy so much Hawaii stuff in Hawaii - I don't buy too much of that anywhere else.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Karen, I've been on the Carnival Valor and it was a fabulous ship! I wasn't scrapbooking much so never checked out the scrapbooks. Didn't really notice that until I was on a NCL cruise but have noticed that all the ships we were on have had papers and scrapbooks, although the papers were limited. Seems you had to buy the scrapbook to get them.

I want you to promise to do one things for me. Eat one of the Carnival's chocolate molten lava cakes for me. They are incredible.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Wow - I'm so far behind but hopefully I can get caught up here. I'm still on my trip to Joplin, MO with my sister. My newest niece arrived a week ago and is doing great so its been a bit hectic.

Our plans are all set for France, we fly to Paris on the 16th of September - Any recommendations?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

Terri - loved the layouts. I had not left love on Honduras so just did that. The title is familiar- I think its the same one I used. SYT?

I do the same with the money - love putting the countries currency on my pages.

Didn't realize the turtle farm was part of your bracelets - I thought they were tickets. What a great idea! I've used bracelets before but never found a cool way to display them. You found the right answer. If you don't mind, I just may scraplift it the next time we have bracelets.

On the first one - are the little starfish and lobster as well as other sea creatures actually punches? Can't tell but I love them!

I love all the memorbilia that you use! I use some original and if the paper is really flaky and not going to be around long I copy it.

Thanks for the great examples! Love your pages!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Arlene - so good to see you. Congratulations on the new niece!

Isn't Joplin part of the Bill the Kid parkway with the Billy the Kid museum? I did a layout on him from when we went through that area and researched him. Interesting character.

I have never been to Paris. Someday... sigh.....

So many here have and can give you recommendations. Have you been before? That just sounds like a dream to me - to be leaving for Paris in a couple weeks!

We are leaving for Georgia in a couple weeks. Not exciting, but we will be there for the birth of our first grandchild - and that is exciting! Then to Dover to hook up with scrapbook friends, then to Seattle, then on our cruise.

Printed out a lot of things today so when we get home I can start scrapping. We will drive from Seattle to Portland to see Bill's son so I printed a map with both of those states and will hightlight the route. Also prining out a map of Washington and will show the port where the cruise is leaving from but still looking for just the right map.

Then I wil start searaching for my map of Russia so I can mark those two ports and print them out and then may find Korea and China maps tonight.

I go into paint and get the map company name off and clean them up a bit so that will be my project for tonight - find more maps of places we are gong and clean them up.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

All this talk about cruising is making me twitch. I'm so ready to cruise again. I think it's my favorite type of vacation.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-19-11 04:10 PM
In response to Kamananui

Henri: You are so funny. The shells and starfish diecuts are Quickutz. SYT...of course! You my friend, may lift anything you want. I have lifted all kinds of things from you. It is about time I return the favor. Only condition...I want to see!

Angela: Congratulations Auntie! I'm waiting to hear I'm a great aunt for the sixth time! I keep getting boys!!! How fun to have a little girl. Paris....sorry can't help you. I have never been to Europe.

Kelly: LOL! You just got back! LOL!

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

Angela -- how is Joplin doing? I find it amazing how they are dealing with all the tragedy. Congrats to the new auntie.

I've been to Paris -- for a day! We took the high speed train over from London. I'd love to go back for an entire week. I could live on their bread, cheese, & wine. In no particular order!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to NVyankee

Thanks for all the congratulations!! Its so nice to be able to be here for an extended time with her.

Joplin is barren... quite literally... We were driving through main intersections in town and I did not even recognize where we were and I grew up here and did not move away until after university here... Very sad... My brother and his wife are still living in a hotel while their house is getting the final fixing touches so some lives are getting back to normal.

I can't wait for the european dining experience - so nice to not be rushed and finish off a bottle of wine in an evening!!!

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to ars.scrap

Angela -- I love eating in Europe. It's so relaxed. Kevin doesn't do well with it. He wants to eat and get up. I could linger for hours.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-20-11 12:41 PM
In response to NVyankee

Oh Angela...give your brother and his wife a big hug for us. Sure hope they get into their home soon especially now with the new little one. I was in a horrible tornado when I was a kid and we lost everything. (Yes they had tornados in the olden days! :)) My heart goes out to them.

I don't mind a relaxing dinner but four hours! My bum gets sore. I could do it with wine, cheese and bread!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

If I'm eating with a girlfriend and we are girl talkin' - I can sit there and chat for hours. But when it is Bill and me we usually eat and leave.

He and I will still be together where with my girlfriends we will be going in differnent directions after lunch or dinner - back to work or each going home or whatever and we don't know when we will get together again. That makes a big difference!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Since I know a lot of people in this thread use things like maps and tickets that aren't acid-free, I thought I'd spread the word that I saw five cans of Krylon-brand archival mist on clearance at my local Hobby Lobby today. I bought two of them (not for scrapping but because I have some newspapers I want to frame). If this is relevant to your interests, check your Hobby Lobby clearance section.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

They are closed tomorrow but will be there bright and early on Monday. I to use it for scrapbook. Quite often too. Can's don't last me very long.

Thanks for the heads-up! Guess that mean that they are going to discontinue it. I didn't know they carried it - I always get it from my scrapbook store!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I remember seeing the actual Archival Mist brand on clearance at Joann's a couple years ago. But Hobby Lobby clearances very odd stuff - they are clearancing some Jolee's Halloween embellishments at the same time that they are starting to bring in all the Halloween decorations.

Thanks for your comments on my "rabbit defined" layout - I commented back with answers to your question about the rabbit.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

One of my best friends in high school had a rabbit. It was so sweet - it had full run of the house. They had a couple places where newspapers were spread out it is used the newspapers like a liter box.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Jessie just had the run of part of the second floor - and sometimes got to visit me in the scraproom. Smelling the sewing machine and bumping Mom's feet were much better outcomes than the cord- and paper-chewing I had feared.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

San Francisco-Haight Ashury Page 1 By Henri Jean

San Francisco-Haight Ashury Page 2 By Henri Jean

San Francisco-Haight Ashury Page 3 By Henri Jean

San Francisco-Haight Ashury Page 2 & 3 By Henri Jean

I cannot believe I found tie-dyed scrapbook paper that was more like fabric than paper! At the crop every one wanted to know where I got it - I don't remember, somewhere on the trip. It was hard to work with though. Very fiberous and nothing wanted to stick.

But it was exactly what I needed!

Really had fun with this one becuase I was a teenager and wanted to go to San Francisco for the summer of Love so bad but my parents didn't budge on that one. Answer was no.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

Love those San Fran lo's.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NVyankee

Thank you! I really enjoyed working on them but boy, was that "paper" difficult to work with!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Lake Tahoe By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Salt Lake City By Henri Jean

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Hi ladies!

I'm trying to get caught up... I've been away this past week at the cottage with my boyfriend and his family. It was a nice getaway

I'm loving all the LO's you've all posted.

Angela - Congratulations on your newest niece! How long are you going to be in Paris? I went 3 years ago in August and it was amazing.

I'd suggest going up the Eiffel Tower. If the lines are too busy during the day, go up at night - the city is beautiful with all the lights at night. The Louvre is a must-see if you enjoy art, but even if you don't the building itself is actually worth seeing.

If you are short on time and want to see a lot of the city there are at least two hop-on-hop-off bus tours. I did the Les Cars Rouges tour, but I'd suggest the other one. I'll see if I can find the name. The other one had more stops, which is why I think it might be a bit better. I think it was around $30 so it wasn't cheap, but we used it for transportation around the city for 2 days.

I'd also look online if there is anything specific you want to do which requires an entrance fee. You can usually buy tickets in advance and save a bit of money that way. The only problem is you have to commit in advance to being a specific place at a specifc time. Let me know if you'd like more suggestions!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Mulan05

Hello e/o,

I need to get caught up on leaving love but the LOs are great.

Paris - Yes, definitely go up to the top of the Eiffel. We tried to climb to the top, but they don't let you go to the third level, have to take elevator, so we climbed 600+ steps to only the second level even though we were geared up for all 1700+. We also went to Notre Dame - you can climb all 387 steps to the top there.

I would also suggest an evening boat tour. I'll have to look back on my memorabilia to see if I have the brochure but it was an awesome tour (we brought our own bottle of wine). Much better than the Lock tour we had taken earlier in the day on accident. Fell asleep on that one - it was 2.5 hours of going through locks - gate closes, area fills with water, lifts boat, gates open, on to the next one, repeat. The first couple were cool, but it got a bit monotonous and not a lot of great sites along the way.

Also went to Pere Lachaise cemetery because I was huge Doors fan and had to visit Jim Morrison's gravesite. Beautiful graveyard, I could have spent hours there.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Almost forgot my funny Eiffel Tower story - I really have to remember to take pics of my LOs.

Do you remember the Kodak commercial where the lady says "I always wanted my picture in front of the Eiffel Tower" and it's only the top of her head in front of the tower?

So my friend and I purposely took that picture because we thought it'd be funny. Then after we toured the Tower as we were leaving, we asked a lady who was relaxing on a blanket to take our pic together in front of the tower. This was with a film camera so we didn't know what it looked like.

When we got our pictures back, we were looking for our pic in front of the tower and couldn't find it. So I went through them again and realized the pic with one leg of the tower and two head shadows was that pic. So either the local was messing with us or she seriously didn't know how to take a picture.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to pugs223

Angela - My heart breaks for those in Joplin. I am glad they are moving forward. My college room mate was from Greensburg, KS which was whipped out a few years ago. I hate tornados.

For your Paris trip, I have never been, but want to. I have a website bookmarked that I intend to look into when I do though as I think it sounds fun. It is a Paris Greeter a local who will meet up with you and take you on a 2-3 hour tour. I think it is basically free, you just pay for any transportation or other fees during the walk for yourself and the greeter.

http://ca-en.franceguide.com/what-to-do/art-of-liv ing/P...

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to Sherrenae

Here is a layout I finished this morning.

Dying 2 get in By Sherrenae

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to Sherrenae

Just popping in to say hello. I seem to have lost my scrap mojo, so I'm just making cards for now. Hope everyone has a great day.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kamananui

I'm enjoying all the notes about Paris and filing it in my mental filing cabinet for use some day. I do plan to go there in this lifetime!

Love the idea with the Greeters! I've never heard of that and it would be a great way to see the neighborhoods!

Hi Kelly - hope you find your mojo soon, anxious to see pages of your most recent cruise!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hole N' The Rock - Utah - Left Side By Henri Jean

Hole N' The Rock - Utah - Right Side By Henri Jean

Hole N' The Rock - Utah - Both Sides By Henri Jean

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Hi!

Hope everyone had a good day!

I wish I had known about the greeters when I was in Paris. I would have really enjoyed something like that. I guess that means I'll have to go back someday.

Kelly - I'm sure you'll get your mojo back soon and make some amazing LO's

Henri - that's a really neat place! I know I've said this before but I really enjoy reading the journaling on your LO's. I learn so much about the different places you've been from it.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to Mulan05

• Mulan05 Said:
Hi!

Henri - that's a really neat place! I know I've said this before but I really enjoy reading the journaling on your LO's. I learn so much about the different places you've been from it.

I so agree, I love your style for travel layouts as I love a combo of history and personal experiences.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to Sherrenae

I finished another travel lo from my London trip yesterday. This group has really motivated me to work on these and it is about time since the trip was in 2008 - LOL.

Diana By Sherrenae

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

• AK Teddy Bear Said:
  • ncyankee Said:
  • MrsAnnieS Said:
  • ncyankee Said:
Terri -- no wine tonight. Vodka tonic instead!!
it was a good day with the doberman -- she'll fly out to somewhere in the midwest next week.

Is it horrible that even though it is only 10am I could use one of these, maybe even a double?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

No here! It is only 12:30 and I am having a hard time concentating as it is. Now you got me thinking about yummy margaritas and Annie got me thinking about diving and tropical places.

Oh how about a margarita on a tropical beach!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to MrsAnnieS

Angela congratulations on your new little niece-how very fun!

And Paris is fabulous, we didn't go up the Eiffel tower since I'm terrified of heights, but we did go and get photos and mill around the base. We were there 30 min before it opened and the lines were already very long.

If you get to Notre Dame early in the morning the crowds are non-exsistant and you can get some great photos without all the people.

Notre Dame By MrsAnnieS

If you enjoy art I'd also highly recommend the museums-particularly the d'Orsay and the Louvre, I spent 3 days wandering around the Louvre. I got one of my favorite Paris photos from a window in the Louvre too:
Paris By MrsAnnieS

I'd also recommend going to the Montparnasse tower. From the very top (59 floors up) you overlook all of old paris and can get basically panoramic aerial view of all the monuments and buildings.

The City of Lights By MrsAnnieS

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to MrsAnnieS

I spent the day yesterday with my mom and we got our next vacation after our January cruise all planned out. We're going to Washington DC next September! I haven't been since the 8th grade field trip YEARS ago. I love having trips to look forward too

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

Left love in your gallery Annie. We are going to DC in Septmember to get our Chinese visas so will see the city while we take a vacation there for a few days until the visas are ready. Don't know if we are flying or driving yet though. My nephew lives very close to Washington so we can crash at his house and sightsee all day.

Then we will fly to Seattle.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

We did the walk to the 2nd level of the Eifel tower -- the lines are too long for the elevator. It was perfect.

I would definitely suggest the L'ourve. But what we did ahead of time was map out what we definitely wanted to see. You can be there all day -- and we were on limited time. Kevin even mapped it out so we knew which staircase or elevator to take! told you he's a travel nerd.

The d'orsay was a fabulous building -- I was a bit arted out by then. Also the Rodin museum -- need to visit the thinker.

We really enjoyed the military museum -- the kids got a kick out of napoleans tomb and his uniform. I probably would've skipped it if we didn't have the boys with us -- but it was interesting.

I was just perusing my album -- oy I want to so redo those pages!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to NVyankee

Eileen I feel the same way about some of my Paris pages! But I decided I need to finish my first trip to europe before I can re-do my second one!

We did Les Invalides as well and it was interesting but I don't know that I would do it again. We only went because we got into Paris late afternoon and it was the closest thing to our hotel and just wanted to get out and see something before we crashed.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to MrsAnnieS

Oh -- didn't realize this was your 2nd trip. i wouldn't do it a 2nd time either.

I'm supposed to head to NY on Saturday -- hope this darn Irene doesn't screw my plans up. Was planning on going to the US Open on Monday -- but that's going to be a wash too. Not sure what to do. I really do need a ny fix!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to NVyankee

I wish I was going to NY with you. (was born there) I so miss my NY pizza, White Castle, and Carvel. I just want to go to eat.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to Kamananui

Oh and I miss Jones Beach too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kamananui

Anybodies travel plans on hold or possibly subject to change depending on where Hurrican Irene decides to go?

I'm a member of one of the critique groups here, "Flappers" and we are supposed to mee in Dover, Delaware on the 8th of September and it could be affected. And we are supposed to spend a day in the town of Hershey and visit the scrapbook store in Hershey. We are also planning a day at the Baltimore aquriam and the zoo and Sunday the 10th we are all planning to go to Annapolis for a walking ghost tour and then to a seafood dinner. From there we were going to visit my nephew in Viriginia and spend our 3 or 4 days visiting Washington. We had also planned to go to the embassy in china to apply for our visas which we need later in the month.

Yep, Irene could really affect our plans. Anybody else?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Henri - I hope Irene doesn't affect your plans. She wasn't invited, she needs to go back out to sea.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-25-11 12:30 PM
In response to pugs223

For those who don't know, I downloaded a big ol' bomb into my gallery. If you have the time, take a look.

Really busy this week at work but I will try to catch up on all love in your galleries.

Have a great week.

Should have known if Henri is going someplace, a natural disaster wasn't far behind!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Peg is right - she needs to go back out to sea.

I had nothing to do with Hurricane Irene - honestly. I can't help it if I seem to leave a wake of natural disasters everywhere I go. They just happen!

Terri - left love in your gallery. You loaded some great layouts!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

The paper for the Hole N' The Rock - I don't know what it is or where it came from. It has "Dragon Challenge" on one side with a dungeons and dragons looking design and artwork. I kept putting it aside as one I would never use. Then when working on this layout it got turned over by mistake and I saw the side I used for the first time.

It got very close to being given away in a swap or donation box but then I realized the back was really nice for a cave. Now I wish I had more of it!

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

Kelly -- where are you from in NY?? I miss all the same things as you. Pizza (nc's is just sad); no carvel; and I love white castle (esp. at 2 am). My son is dying to go to a real white castle. And I've spent many a fun weekend at Jones Beach.

Well no worries Kelly -- I'm not going. They closed Islip (& LaGuardia) already. BOOOOOOOOOO! So instead I'm stuck in NC (saga of my life). So I stocked up on bread, eggs, water, beer, vodka. A girl has got to have her priorities. Of course, it would've been insane to go north -- it may be worse there. We are expecting 80+ mph winds here in my area. I spent hours today putting away as much as stuff in my garage today. Gassed up cars, extra gas in canisters -- I'm as set as I can be.

I HATE IRENE!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NVyankee

I hate IRene too!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-25-11 04:14 PM
In response to NVyankee

Eileen and all on the East Coast,

Glad to hear you are prepared for the worst. My good thoughts and prayer are with you and all on the East Coast. First a earthquake and now this! Girlfriend, do you have propane in the BBQ grill? Just in case you lose electricity, you can still cook. Just an old Alaskan trick. All the smart Alaskans have emergency "stuff" and that is one we always have. Fill up you bath tub with water. If the pipes break or you have comtamination, at least you will have water. Hope that helps.

Henri..that paper is wonderful. I'm going to look for it. Thanks so much for the love. It feels great to have gotten over the block.

Hope everyone else is well. I'm going over to catch up on the love.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm started to get worried for friends up north. For any of you who are in the path of the hurricane, please check in as frequently as you can and let us know you are okay. This one is showing signs of being a nasty one.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

We are currently just north of Portland, Maine so we are keeping an eye on Irene's track.

I made an emergency flight home yesterday from my sister's house (and new baby) in Missouri to make it back before the storm hits in case we have to evacuate the RV into somewhere. I was all set to fly out Saturday, but figured that would not happen as I had to fly through DC to get up here and that is the projected arrival date for Irene.

We will keep our fingers crossed that she weakens and does not do that much damage.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to ars.scrap

We have propane. Gotta eat. After floyd we didn't have power for 2 weeks, no telephone or cable for a month!

We figure we can always truck in pool water to flush the toilets -- been there done that before!

I'm gonna stock 2 coolers with drinks tomorrow. Try to keep the kids out of the fridge if we lose power.

I thought -- I'll just scrap. Then realized I'll have poor lighting and no cricut. Do you think Kevin will run a cord up to my scrap room and connect it to the generator. Fridge or cricut -- you make the call!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-26-11 08:38 AM
In response to NVyankee

Eileen: I didn't know you had a pool. There should be enough water for a while. Sounds like you are all ready. As far as the cricut versus fridge....dah, you don't have to fridge chocolate, wine or potato chips, so cricut! LOL!

Angela: Thank goodness you were able to get a flight back to Maine. My thoughts are with you, Matt and the RV.

Everyone have a great day and weekend.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to NVyankee

• ncyankee Said:

Well no worries Kelly -- I'm not going. They closed Islip (& LaGuardia) already. BOOOOOOOOOO! So instead I'm stuck in NC (saga of my life). So I stocked up on bread, eggs, water, beer, vodka. A girl has got to have her priorities. Of course, it would've been insane to go north -- it may be worse there. We are expecting 80+ mph winds here in my area. I spent hours today putting away as much as stuff in my garage today. Gassed up cars, extra gas in canisters -- I'm as set as I can be.

I HATE IRENE!

Sounds like a good liquid diet to me.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

And I would definitely power the cricut over the frig. Do you have more coolers? Those don't take electricity.

Seriously though, good luck and stay safe to everyone in Irene's path. Will be checking in and sending lots of thoughts and prayers to that part of the country.

Off to leave some love, I've been lazy in that dept.

Have a good weekend everyone, will try to check in for updates on our East coast friends. Hoping to get some scrapping done.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to NVyankee

• ncyankee Said:
So I stocked up on bread, eggs, water, beer, vodka.

French toast! Pass the powdered sugar!

But seriously, everyone stay safe.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Yes, please stay safe and check in all you can to let us know you are safe.

Andrea - I love french toast but I make it with lots of vanilla too!

Went to the dressmaker today - all 3 of my long formal dresses were ready for hemming so that is all we had to do - just level them.

All 3 are basically a full lenght muumuu in very flashy material. I wouldn't have picked any of these materials if Bill didn't love flash and trash and sparkle and bling so much.

Okay - I would have picked the Halloween one. It is full length and fully lines (all 3 are) so they really flow. The material turns from black to red and silver with blood red metallic-looking spider webs all over the material. Really really cool! It absolutely flows and as it flows, the material seems to change from black to red with the spider webs shining.

Then next one is silver lame. Definite flash and trash, but wow, it really moves and swings. I'm large so it will be extremely comfortable. Wish I hadn't done the yolk in black velvet but it is nice. I have a silver bling purse and it is black and silver. Jury is out on whether I will wear Black dressy backless shoes or the silver ones.

Last dress is turquoise and it is the confetti material that is solid but covered in little turquoise metallicy circles on the entire fabric. Its fully lined and totally tacky to me, but Bill will love it and it will shine under the lights. Something someone would wear on stage! She made me a matching purse which is darling. Should work nicely with the silver shoes. I could have some dyed to match but I don't want to spend that much and I don't have time. Plus, I don't want to pack another pair of shoes, especially a pair that only goes with one outfit!

That is all the news from here. May post another layout or two this afernoon if I have time.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

The worst is passed. IT's been pouring since early am (around 5) -- winds seem to have died down. Lots of trees down and very messy. We had one leak in a bay window -- easily repaired.

No power - but got the generator up & running. if the kids ask me one more time - when will the generator be one!!!!! I'm gonna scream.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-27-11 12:15 PM
In response to NVyankee

Thank Goodness you are alright. One little leak is not bad and could have been a lot worse. Hopefully you will get electricity soon. Thanks for letting us know yo are okay.

What about our other East coaster?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks for checking in Eileen - your damage sounds minimal compared to the reports we are hearing about the storm.

Everyone else - please report in!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Eileen - So glad that you and your family are safe and sound!!

We are still waiting here in Maine for Irene to reach us. The weather was beautiful today so its really hard to imagine a hurricane here tomorrow, but we are all ready for it.

Everyone stay safe!!!!
Angela

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to ars.scrap

Eileen - Glad you are safe and sound!

I hope everyone else is staying safe too.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to Mulan05

We did great -- 2 big trailer full of yard debris. Probably more -- but I'm not anal about my yard. Still no power -- but I'm really appreciating my gadget hubby right now. Generator is working great and very efficiently. We are being reasonable -- trying to use the minimal # of appliances. So far we haven't hooked up AC -- got some fans going.

I'm very thankful. But would like my power back. I'm decided to make a date with Jose (Jose Cuervo that is!). Having a margarita. And we are going to Outback -- found out it's open. Kevin went to town to check on his office -- 2 big trees down but no damage to building. He was going to go to Mickey D's -- line was "miles" (maybe an exaggeration) long!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NVyankee

Sounds like you got the yard cleanup under control Eileen! That is a lot of debris to clean up.

So glad you have the generator - really makes a difference. My family has several of them and Bill has one - nice to have electricity when it is not working.

You and Jose have a nice afternoon!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Eileen, so happy to hear it's just a little clean up and no damages. Hope you get your power back soon

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to pugs223

power is back on -- me and Jose just had a brief interlude together. Too much to do.

School is cancelled tomorrow. Gonna take Brendan to the animal shelter in the am -- then off to cleaning house. It's a mess from the weekend.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to NVyankee

Eileen, it's good to hear you came through this relatively unscathed. I have so many friends and family on the East Coast that I spent my entire weekend worrying, but so far everyone seems to have made it through with minimal damage. I'm so relieved.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to Kamananui

Well power went back out after 6 hours -- keeping my fingers crossed it will be back soon. Went out at midnight. Generator is still humming along.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to NVyankee

That's it -- I Quit!!!

Terri what time can you pick me up at the airport?? I'm out of NC. Too flipping hot & humid. I need my AC!!!! Just looked it up -- 59 degrees sounds perfect right about now.

Sorry to whine -- I have cankles from the heat!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to NVyankee

Eileen - Sorry you are having a rough go of it.

We escaped by being on the very eastern edge of the storm and little to no damage here where we are. Our totals ended up being only a couple inches of rain with 37 mph winds so we were very lucky.

I'm off to leave some love and get everyone added as friends that I have missed so far!! Time to get caught up!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-29-11 03:35 PM
In response to ars.scrap

Eileen, anytime is fine with me. You just tell me the time and the hearse will be ready. Excuse me I meant limo. I understand the heat thing more than you think. Being an Alaskan, we don't handle humid very well. Cankles.....yikes! I hate those things!

Sure glad to hear everyone is well and minimal damage. From here, the news is reporting horrible photos and video.

Thanks all our East coaster for checking in. It is a huge relief. I expect to see some LOs.

Have a great day.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Wow, I think I am almost caught up after being MIA for almost a month!!! Left lots of love in galleries, so hopefully I've picked up at least your most recent layouts and I've got plans to go picking through some more!!!

I did actually manage to get a few uploaded that for some reason I did not have on here. These 6 are part of the ones that I did for our month long beach trip to South Padre Island, Texas last year. It was our first full time stint in the RV and it was great for figuring things out. For those who haven't been to SPI, its nothing but a huge strip of sandy beaches (very beautiful). Some commercial development in town, but pretty quiet as you go north on the island. We spent the month of April there in 2010 and then we wintered there this year (January to April) and it was great to avoid winter in a RV.

Moment By Ars.scrap

Camp More Work Less By Ars.scrap

Hunting Birdies By Ars.scrap

CATCH A WAVE By Ars.scrap

OUR LIFE By Ars.scrap

Calm Days By Ars.scrap

THE SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE By Ars.scrap

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to ars.scrap

Angela -- can't wait to sit down and look at your lo's -- I hate looking at lo's on my laptop. I'm weird that way.

Well if I sound less cranky that is b/c we have P*O*W*E*R!! My neighbor & I practically chased the utility guy down on street when we saw him drive by. now we have our fingers crossed that it stays on all night. I'm so behind!

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to NVyankee

I am glad that you guys still have the time to scrap. I have tried to scrap more. But, with me being in the middle of move, I feel scrapped deprived.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to scrappinmylife

Eileen - Congrats on the power!!! Its amazing how addicted we become to the simple things in life like electricity, huh????? :-)

I wish I had more time to scrap, I am having withdrawl too!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I have lots of time to scrap, bu I'm caught up - nothing to scrap. However, we are leaving again for about 3 or so months. I will come back with enough photos of Russia and China and Viet Nam and Australia and my sons new baby and my sons wedding - I'll have plenty to keep me busy for a couple months until we head out again.

We have to be in Las Vegas for a week next March or April and now our next door neighbors want us to go to Hawaii with them in May. If so, it will be 4 couples and non of them have ever been so we will be tour guides again.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-30-11 11:37 AM

Eileen, since you have power, does that mine you aren't coming to visit? Shucks! We could go to the State Fair and see all of the giant vegetables and I had limo washed and waxed! All kidding aside, sure glad to hear things are starting to get back to normal for you and all the East coasters.

Angela, Alaska is it's usual rainy August. The leaves are starting to turn and the temperature was dropped a little but still beautiful. I'm leaving for Dalton Cache in a couple of weeks. It is always so beautiful when I'm there. Any chance you will be in Anchorage in November?

Hey everyone!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Hey ladies-another weekend of work down! But one more and our entire trip will be paid for! So I'm treating myself to some fun scrapping in my room-whatever I want. Nothing for challenges or in progress work, just whatever photo catches my fancy!

Am glad to hear all our East Coasters are doing alright!

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to MrsAnnieS

Hi everyone. Glad the East Coasters made it through in fairly good shape. It looks like I have some layouts to catch up on, will try to do so this evening after I get back from the gym.

To answer a couple questions left on my layouts - the pearls on my Hyde Park were in a packet of lace and trim that I picked up at a scrapbook garage sale so I can't say the brand - I am guessing they are probably not acid free but I don't tend to worry about that to much anymore. What about the rest of you - is this something you watch closely when doing los?

On my dying to get in layout, I did mist over the iron gate die cut paper for the background. Not sure what I will now do with the actual paper.

Henri I am so impressed that you are all caught up - it takes me forever to even do one lo so I know that will never be an issue for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hole 'N The Rock Jeep By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hole 'N The Rock Zoo Page 1 By Henri Jean

Hole 'N The Rock Zoo - Page 2 By Henri Jean

Hole 'N The Rock Zoo - Camel Love By Henri Jean

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Hi everyone,

Glad everyone on the East Coast made it through the hurricane ok. I'm also happy that everyone has their power back.

I don't think I'll ever be caught up. I'm only 4 trips behind on my scrapbooks plus all the random photos and certificates mom wants me to put in the one for her.

Sherri - I don't worry too much about everything on my LO's being acid free. Most of the pamphlets/tickets/random memorabilia that I add to pages I spray, but I didn't in the first few albums I did. I figure it'll be fine in the end.

I think I've got the next few vacations planned out, but we might change our plans again. It looks like we are definitely going to Orlando in October for Thanksgiving (Canadian one). Then the end of November I'm hoping to go to NYC with my mom and sister. Last one is next summer Matt and I are planning to drive across Canada to British Columbia, and then return through the States.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to Mulan05

Sherri - I don't worry too much about acid free either although I am sure I will lose some items at some point.

Henri Jean - I can't believe you are caught up. I am convinced that I will never be caught up, but I guess I should not complain since I am still traveling and exploring every day.

I am still in Maine and will be until we leave for France on the 16th. It's getting close!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

Trip to France sounds so wonderful.

We leave Saturday for Dover to get with 3 other ladies from the Flappers group and husbands, then we work out way to Seattle and then get on the ship to Russia, China and around on the 26th.

Angela - the border with the monkey is from SYT. I get a lot of diecuts and borders from them - papers too. I sent you two private messages last night answering questions on my layouts (thank you so much for your kind comments) and one went through, the second one didn't so I decided to just answer when I dropped in here.

You asked about the border - if it was a stamp and its a SYT diecut - now that I have a Gypsy I have to learn to do that though!

You asked about the camel breath - and asked if my husband always got so close to animals like he did with the camel.

Don't know about the camel breath, I kept my distance. However, he is always in animal's faces and trying to make friends with them. I have loads of pictures of him petting stray cows (or trying to) in India. Some actually did let him pet them. And many pictures of him making friends with stray cats in Puerto Rico - they were all over old town. I've got one of him holding an Iguana in Belize.

I have one picture of him from his army days - they found a 6' Python in the jungles of Panama when they were clearing debris. He has the wild snake around his neck - the picture is on page 1 or 2 of my gallery.

I think his worst - he had a rented car with a 24 can case of Sunny D in the trunk. that is all that was in the trunk.

He saw a 3' or so alligator starting to cross a road and it was a ways to the nearest lake or river and he didn't want it to get hit by a car. He got out to pick it up and it hissed at him and got a little nasty so he ripped his shirt off and threw it over the alligator's eyes - he heard they become docile when they can't see. Then he picked it up and put it in the trunk of his car.

He drove it to a lake area where it would be with other alligators and opened his trunk. It was really an angry alligator now and had bitten through all the cans of Sunny D. I guess it broke the box or case and as they rolled around he bit them all the way through. The trunk was swimming in Sunny D and the alligator was mad.

He put his shirt back over its eyes and lifted it out of the trunk and carried it to the water and released it.

Yep, he loves animals and doesn't seem to fear any of them. He wants to make friends with all of them.

He loves to hold and talk to all babies and children too. He cannot resist talking to children. And babies. One of my girlfriends had a new grandson and we spent the day with them and her daughter and new grandson. As soon as Bill saw the baby (about 2 months) he wanted to hold it and held it all day.

When it fussed to eat he wanted to feed it but I told him he couldn't breastfeed it so it would have to go back to his mother. After it ate he was carrying it around again.

When we were in Alabama last my nephew and his wife were there with their new one - about 5 or 6 months old. I never got a turn holding it - Bill carried her everywhere all weekend.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Angela - I'm almost finished with my scrap notebook and I'm thrilled with the way it is coming along.

Several years ago I came home from a crop and went to my desk and found a note that Bill had written on a yellow legal paper which said, "New Ideas for Me (Bill) to make Scrapbooks:

1. My life as a scrapbook widower
2. Gosh I miss that wife person
3. Sure is quiet around here

I used that for the cover of my book - just printed it out full size on an 8 1/2 x 11.

Here is the page:

Queen of the Crop By Henri Jean

The first section of the book is samples of all my punches and the name of them. First is the Martha Stewart punches and I made the page on the computer with names of the punches. Then I glued the samples of the punches above the name of it. Also helped me use a good bit of bright colored cardstock for the strips.

Next - EK Success Punches, then Fiskar's Punches and finally a page of the Marvy punches - circles and ovals so I can measure size.

Second divider - SLICE. I got all my slice booklets and put all the images from each book on a page so I can flip through and see all the images I have without getting out the booklets. Will be great when I want ideas or see what Slice font I want.

Third divider - Cricut. Found a place on the cricut site that has a sample of each cart - font and images. Not everything is on it, but it is a nice color chart that has most of it. Like destinations has the pictures on the box but not all the possibilities of what you can do with the pictures, but still, I can look at it and get ideas. Also typed in some Cricut hints and things people have given me. I also copy pasted the charts on the ones I have and put them in a word file in case I ever want to print them out again.

Today I'm doing the 4th tab section - Copics and Micro Glitter. I am going to make a chart for the Copics with color number and name with a box next to it to make a color sample. I only have 5 and am not looking for more at this time so once I design the chart it will be easy.

Also plan to get the micro Glitter done - I have about 30-35 different colors and will make a chart and put number, name of glitter and then put down a glue stip and a sample of each glitter color. That should keep me busy most of today.

The last section is misc. I'm not sure what to do with that. I may take put 9 or 10 or more diecuts at a time and put them on the copier and make an inventory of spare diecuts which I can cross off as I use them. I have no idea what I - have - there are literally hundreds of die cuts!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Ooh, Henri got a Gypsy!

When I got Design Studio, the ability to weld completely changed the way I approached my Cricut. Have fun.

Resident
In response to MrsAnnieS

I can understand having the trip paided for. My cruise will be paid off 8/19. I'm about 2 months behind my original plan because of being sick this spring.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen_in_WA

Canyou see me now? By Henri Jean

I'm Down Here! I can See You! By Henri Jean

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Henri - yes! this is the LO I've been waiting to see. Great job

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

Thank you so much Peg! It was a fun one. Wouldn't have gotten thorugh it without he help and ideas! I was really stumped!

Resident

I love the pages Henri Jean. As I have said before I think my style will be very similar.

Ok, I have a newby question. I am very focused when I am buying paper and such on if I will use it in my cruise album. It is keeping me from buying a lot of paper that I may never use, but I think is really pretty. So, how do you experienced scrapbookers determine what you buy?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Karen_in_WA

I buy all pretty paper. I kind of have a problem with hoarding pretty paper, so I'm probably not the one to ask.

You will save a lot of $$ if you buy only for projects. I've been trying to change my habits.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

If I love it - I buy it so I'm not much help either. Since I know if I don't use it on one cruise, I will use it on the next. In fact I have extra Germany and Samoa because I know I will go back. If not, I'll find someone who is going.

I guess the key is if I really love it! Then I get it.

I bought way too much wedding stuff for BIll and me but have used some of it for friends's weddings that I put in my scrapbook and some are just romantic pages that I will use for our anniversaries and other romantic pages.

For extra cruise pages I've used some of the paper with pool pictures, lake pictures and can usually find a use for them.

I don't buy them just because they are cruise pictures that may work, for me to buy them I have to love them!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Henri Jean - That is so funny - I have a book just like this where I've printed out the cricut's carts that I have and I also have all samples of all my punches and inks - I do take it a step further and scan it in and then have it organized in Acdsee so it helps me remember what all I have - I'm such a geek!!!

Here are a couple of samples of my scans...

Karen - I'm a huge paper fan, its my favorite thing to scrapbook with so I buy everything!!! And if you ask my DH, he will confirm that - I have hundreds of pounds of paper here in the RV with me - In response to your question, I buy lots of paper packs that I love the themes of (travel, neutral colors, etc) and my favorites are DCWV and K&Company for using almost every piece of paper in the pack. I buy some singles, but mostly packs because I have so much to scrap that I can't always have a layout in mind when I am shopping. I just spoke with Henri Jean about this as I'm a total geek and scan the covers of each of my paper packs so that I have them electronically so it helps me choose the right papers for my layout using ACDSee.

Here is a sample of what I see when I start a layout:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I love the Tim Holtz Distress ink page. I never thought of that. Did you make he chart or was it already made so all you had to do was color it? How did you color the squares? Maybe a stupid questionk but did you use a brush?

The second one did't post but when I clicked on the page it took me to your punches. Very nice!

Then the third one I can't see on the boards but when I clicked on the red "X" it took me to the cover of the USA travel book. That is really a good idea. Do you have a 12 x 12 scanner?

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

The distress chart is from the Ranger website

http://www.rangerink.com/labels.htm

There are all sorts for stickles and liquid pearls which are great. I cut 1 inch squares and then rub them on the tops of the pads then let dry before I glue them on. On the stickles and liquid pearls I just apply right to their template. I love these and use them all the time to match colors.

My Christmas present from DH was a Plustek A320 scanner that can scan up to A4 sizes. It is wonderful!!! It's how I do all my pages and website.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I would love to have a scanner for layouts!

Page 4 of 54 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics