Username Post: I think I HATE my Sizzix Big Shot-am I doing something wrong?        (Topic#1562799)
New Kid On the Block

Okay, I just got my Sizzix Big Shot (regular not the pro). It is my first and only experience with a machine of this type.

I bought several of the compatable dies as well. They were the size that just required them to be sandwiched between the pads & paper. And I'm sure I had it placed right. The die was so thick nothing else could have gone in with it nor any platform used.

So anyway, I am using plain cardstock (standard) and the machine does cut with ease-BUT the shape is still sticking to the cardstock and is not cut out. (Not sure if that's normal or not.) Which wouldn't be an issue, except that when I VERY carefully punch it out (tried several times) it either rips, pulls the paper and rips it or leaves "messy" unfinished edges with tiny bits of paper sticking to it that I can't remove. It does not look neat and clean. To be fair on some of them, it's relatively minor, but for the most part it's not.

I thought I might have a bad die. So I tried one with rectangles. It did the same thing. Even worse this die was supposed to be nice, neat rectangles. I got it because I'm not a very good cutter with scissors and can't make my cuts look neat. I was disappointed with the same results above-and even more so that the rectangles which look neat on the package & on the die-are crooked. They look like I cut them badly by hand!

I decide to try my embossing folder. It was a lovely chandiler. The embossing was LOVELY! However out of all the tries I made (cardstock) it punched it out and seperated it from the paper on the edge all along one side. Which I don't think was normal. I could live with it and just use it as an element, but it's a messy tear.

So, is this normal with the Sizzix Big Shot (not pro)? Am I doing something wrong?

I couldn't be more disappointed. I feel like I was cheated by the crappy machine and dies.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to miagracie

Mine doesn't do that. Hmmm...

What dies are you using? Nestabilities? Are you using the platform thingy that comes with it and the plastic shim thing?

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to miagracie

I have the Big Shot too and when using embossing folders the only time I've had that same problem was when I used paper studio's 8.5/11 cardstock that I guess was too thin.As for the dies I've only used Tim Holtz dies and they worked great

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to vanessa.S

Something is not right! Your sizzix should cut a die with no problem...and it sounds like you are using a Tim Holtz embossing folder if you use timholtz embossing folders on thin paper it will tear I always put a second piece of paper in my tim Holtz embossing folders because of the depth of them.

Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
Diva
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
In response to Sneezy1956

I think it has to do with the dies you are using. Each die needs a specific 'setting' on the platform provided (Tab 1, Tab 2 etc). You could also try running it through twice (one after the other) and it should give it a clean cut.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to miagracie

I have never had a problem cutting any die on mine. I have all the dies- bigz, reg sizzix, sizzlets, quickutz, nesties, cuttlebug. I hope you find an answer.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha

tim holtz embossing folders will cut paper right through,,,,,put another piece of paper in with the one you are embossing, and that will help. The same happened to me,,,,

IF you are using spellbinders nestabilities with your big shot your sandwich should be as follows.

all purpose platform (all tabs closed)

cutting plate

paper

cutting plate

roll it through.

if you are using one of the thick dies from TH or sizzix,,,,,do not use the all purpose platform,,

cutting plate, paper, thick die, cutting plate. Roll it through.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

sounds like something is wrong with yours,,,,you shouldn't be having these problems.

yesenialesso
Expert
yesenialesso
In response to CommaHolly

I suggest looking on youtube and typing the die you have (sizzix embossing, spellbinders, sizzix die cut) and look what to use there are several different ways to use the plates. It might be difficult, but you'll love it at the end

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to yesenialesso

Oh my! Say it isn't true!!! I don't think it's possible to not love the Big Shot. Something must be wrong. Wish we could see how you have it together and the results you're getting so we could help more.

New Kid On the Block
In response to angie girl

UPDATE:
Thanks for all your help and replies. I was sick all weekend and week with the flu, it's the first day I've been back on my feet.

I was only using Sizzix dies, bigz mostly.

After calling customer service they told me to shim between the bottom plate and the die a sheet of paper. That helped a little but not enough I had to use a standard sheet of cardstock. Using that as a shim I get a good result on all the dies I tried.

But is this normal? Do others have to do this?

Apparently the problem with the emobssing folder edges cutting though were a problem with the folders themselves. They suggested sanding with sandpaper lightly about 5 times on the edges that do that. I tried a nail file and that didn't work. I tried a sheetrock sanding screen (don't have any regular sandpaper at the moment, but will get some and try) and it didn't work either.

They said it was a problem with some of the folders and couldn't promise to send one without the issue (it's the chandiler/thank you combo).

New Kid On the Block
In response to miagracie

I recently purchased my big shot plus, and I am so unhappy with it, especially after spending that kind of money. (Canadian $). I have experienced the exact problems that you have gone threw.
So if you learn anything to solve this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Noreen

Susanlhl
Resident
Susanlhl
In response to skatingal

It takes a little time to learn how to use the Big Shot. It would probably have been helpful if the store you bought it from gave you a lesson or two. However, you can learn how to use them by asking other crafters and watching Youtube videos etc The very best thing to do is to get with a crafting friend who knows how to use the machine already and ask for help to figure it out.

Each Big Shot is a little different. Some require an extra shim (piece of paper or cardstock) between the platform and the cutting plate to help make a clean cut. Some require two pieces of shim. Experiment with your machine to find the best 'recipe' or 'sandwich' for cutting with your different dies.

There are special pads to use when embossing and cutting at the same time. They are made from a material that feels like rubber. I had to buy mine separately.

Some dies work better when you add a layer of waxed paper or baking paper to them, between the die and the cardstock you are cutting. This seems to add a fine layer of wax to the die and makes removing your die cut much easier. This is particularly true with any intricate die. It also adds a little extra pressure to such dies, making them cut better. Also, look fro tiny holes in your intricate dies and use a pin or needle to gently push out your die cut. You have much less chance of tearing your paper by doing this.

If your machine is not cutting evenly, there could be something wrong with the roller setting. The Sizzix people will replace faulty items.

HTH

Edited by Susanlhl on 08-20-15 04:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to skatingal

Hmmmm this sounds so unusual with Sizzix to hear anyone has a problem with their Big shot. I have had a Big kick (basically the same machine same manufacturer) and have used one for years with NO problems. My second machine worked even better than the first!
I can't imagine what the problem could be. If I ever had a problem it was with too thick of a sandwich for the die I was using.... I hope you find a solution for your machines.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to miagracie

I adore my Big shot!! If there was a fire, I'd get the cats and then my Big Shot!! Can you invite a scrap buddy over to help you? If not, watch all of the You Tube videos. I'm sure that will help.

Edited by bonprof on 08-20-15 06:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

LOL! Donna, I'm just like you, if fire breaks out or a tornado is heading this way, I'd grab my dog then my Big Shot! I adore mine, have never had any problems cutting or embossing no matter the manufacturer of the embossing folders or dies. Since the day it joined my scrappy family, it has been a non-stop love affair!

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to chocolateaxel

Yes, to all the above suggestions. Start with You-Tube videos and if that doesn't help you could have a faulty machine. I, too, have a Big Shot and love it. Never had a problem. Good luck!

Solitaire
Expert
Solitaire
In response to Joanie R

I don't have a Big Shot, use only the Cuttlebug, Evolution Advanced, and Cut'N'Boss die cutting & embossing machines.

It looks like you are using the BIGZ dies. I never buy any of those and have no need for them. They are heavy, bulky, and take up too much room. I think they are especially suitable for quilting, or for cutting through thick material or several layers of paper.

I use mostly the wafer-thin dies, such as the ones by Spellbinders. Do you have one of those? If not, give that one a try and see how it works with your machine.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Solitaire

Thank you for all your help!

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim
In response to skatingal

Consider purchasing the Sizzix Precision Base Plate for wafer thin dies. That thing's da bomb! Seriously, if you can find a video about it on YouTube, you'll see what I mean.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day
In response to ppilgrim

I agree with everyone. I just bought my Big Shot a few months ago and it pretty much replaced my Cuttlebug. It stays out for easy use. I haven't had any problems like you describe though.
I bought a metal shim to use when using Spellbinders dies and it definately helps!

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb
In response to scrappy_day

I love my Big Shot too. It replaced my Cuttlebug and never looked back. I also suggest watching utube videos. I learn so many tricks and secrets to things on there.

Possum12345
New Kid On the Block
Possum12345
In response to ppilgrim

I too just purchased a Big Shot plus and I was so excited to use it, but I cannot get anything to go through the machine. It won't cut, emboss...nothing! I use the sandwich that it calls for, I've tried different sandwiches, different dies, different embossing folders and nothing. It's always too tight or too loose. Any suggestions? Because I'm about to burn it! I'm so disappointed.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to Possum12345

It sounds like you possibly got a defective machine. You shouldn't have that much trouble out of the box. Return or call Sizzix and they'll replace it for you.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

One of my favorite people to listen to about Sizzix is Stephanie Barnard. She actually did a card making series for this site which can be found under classes. During the classes she gives a ton of tips on the machine. She has also recently posted on You tube about the Plus.
She is the reason I bought my Sizzix last year because of all her tips and information. Before you give up check out the class here and her You Tube. She also posts under "Stamps of Life" check out both names if you have a hard time finding her.

nicy 
Resident
  • nicy on 04-08-16 02:51 AM
In response to miagracie

I too had the same experience. It was defective. Nothing--not even the basic sandwich worked! Send it back for a replacement! You are NOT crazy!

Possum12345
New Kid On the Block
Possum12345
In response to nicy

Thank you for the replies. I've learned a lot through you tube and glad to say, my machine is working like a dream!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Yay!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to bonprof

So glad it all worked out for you. There's nothing more frustrating than being excited about something new and having it not work out. I was going to suggest you might try to find another scrapper in your area with a Big Shot and see if they could walk you through the process. Sounds as though you have it all resolved though. Enjoy!

ninajohn72
New Kid On the Block
ninajohn72
In response to ppilgrim

Hi there, I have been using the big shot for some time now and just love it!!
I bought the snowflake flip card die cut yesterday. Was very excited but when I tried to cut the card it was little difficult to place it in the big shot and it made a loud popping sound which scared me......
I hope I did not brake my machine.
Is it normal?
Thanks.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to ninajohn72

Popping noises are normal. Just make sure you're using the correct Sizzix sandwich. But the plates will make popping and cracking noises, which can be unsettling. Good luck!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Joanie R

The correct Sizzix sandwich can be a little tricky to figure out - even with it printed on the base plate!! Sometimes! There are so many different dies out there - some cut better than others! If it seems difficult to run it thru try a lesser sandwich. Sometimes they work sometimes not! Cutting can be a bit tricky on occasion. I have more trouble with the 13 inch cutting pad for those long skinny strips! Fortunately I have the wider long platform and that works fine!!

A word of warning, I did break one of my machines by trying to force TOO MUCH of a sandwich thru. At the price of these babies you don't do that again!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sewflake

use wax paper between the dye and card stock and dont use cheap cardstock use basil

New Kid On the Block
In response to Papercutz

i've searched many forums..i've watched more YouTube videos than i care to admit to, but is it normal for a big shot machine to wrinkle your paper? and when i use a lite weight tape, it gets stuck to both the paper and the die i'm using. almost like it's too tight, but according to my research i'm doing it correct. can any one add anything else i can do to make it easier to use and not be so frustrated with the outcome. i don't see anyone experiencing this same issue as me. i've had it for a year, i put it off to the side because i was so frustrated, but i really want to love this tool, especially since i bought so many dies to use with it.

thanks everyone...sophia

angel1dot0
Expert
angel1dot0
In response to sophiamoody

no, it shouldn't wrinkle the paper. I don't see how it's even possible.

Prima Marketing Inc.
Expert
Prima Marketing Inc.
In response to angel1dot0

Contact Sizzix and see if they have heard of this problem before. They have wonderful customer service:

Contact us for help with any issues or concerns
You may contact us online 24/7
By Phone*
(Toll Free in the USA)
(Outside of the USA)
* 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PST
Monday through Friday
By Fax
(Toll free in the USA)
(Outside of the USA)
By Mail
Sizzix Customer Service
25862 Commercentre Drive
Lake Forest, CA 92630-8804 USA

Expert

Hi Sophia,
I have noticed with certain dies, that the shape can come out crinkled a bit. My plates are pretty scratched up and sometimes they impress the scratched up pattern onto the die cut piece, making it look a bit crinkled.
I wonder if this is what is happening with yours.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Why are you using tape?
I occasionally use a piece of washi tape to secure my die, but ONLY washi.
I urge you to call the sizzix people.
The Big Shot is the easiest machine on the planet to use.
Can't wait until you start enjoying it!!

Edited by bonprof on 11-24-16 06:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block

I too am having the opposite problem. The Sizzix is too tight. It leaves an impression on both sides of the paper. I wrote to Sizzix and they said to put a sheet of paper over it, but now it leaves an impression from the cutting plates through both sheets paper and cardstock. And yes, I have all the right plates and shims and bases layered correctly.
The first time I put through a die with the framlits that came with the machine, it left a marked impression on both cutting plates.

Please, has anyone got a solution? I have a foldaway big shot.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to arrietty

Hi and welcome!

It's supposed to cut through the card stock into the plate below. That's normal. If you watch videos on YouTube you'll see that all the plates are marked.

I'm not sure what you mean by an impression on both sides of the paper though. With die-cutting, it's supposed to cut out a shape. Or are you embossing? Could you post photos in the Gallery, and we'll see if we can help?

gabbyg 
New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I just joined Scrapbook. com because I saw this discussion doing a search engine search. I hope this is right place to also talk about My new Big Shot Plus Starter Kit that I returned for a replacement. I was so disappointed with it. In following the instructions for doing a thinlet die I couldn't even get the sandwich to go through the machine. It seemed that Shim A was the problem, as ti made the sandwich too thick to go through the machine. I hope I have better luck with the new replacement.

My question is how does one do the sandwich when using Spellbinder intricate dies? I have one from the designer series I just purchased because it is so beautiful. I want to do it right. Thanks to anyone who can help.

angel1dot0
Expert
angel1dot0
In response to gabbyg

I use the same sandwich for the spellbinders dies that I use for the thinlits dies.

Tenant
In response to angel1dot0

I recently learned to spritz the cardstock with water that you are sending through the embossing folder. I almost always test on scraps before what I really need to cut/emboss. Good luck.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics