Username Post: What is your best paper cutter/trimmer?        (Topic#1564395)
craftygirl84
Veteran
craftygirl84

Just wondering which paper cutter/trimmer is best? I have a Friskar right now and it doesn't work too too well....Thanks for your help girls!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to craftygirl84

I love my portable fiskar. I just chnage the blades when it starts to grab the paper

Edited by Just G on 09-16-11 06:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

I have the same Fiskars trimmer that Glenda does, and I love it.

Fiskars makes several trimmers. I am not a fan of the guillotine cutter, and I've heard that their newest trimmer with the guidewire is having some issues. I love all of their other trimmers, though.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Luvmyfam

I have 2 Fiskars right now that I like....I LOVE the one I use for trimming photos (the 9" one).....as for the paper trimmer.....It's ok but I sometimes have slight problems so I am thinking of getting the rotary one by Creative Memories.

I have one by Cricut and HATE IT!!!

My first one was a creative memories slide trimmer and it worked good for a while(it was used) and then not so good....I tried the rotary one at a crop where there is a Creative memories consultant and I loved it but only got to use it once.

BTW, the ones I have, I got with 50% of coupons from Michaels.

Edited by PhotobearSam on 09-16-11 07:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to PhotobearSam

i hate guillotine cutters

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Just G

I have two Fiskars trimmers. Like both of them, but the triple track one is my favorite of the two.

eshascreations
Tenant
eshascreations
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have 2 Fiskars trimmers & they work beautifully.

NJHeart2Heart
Tenant
NJHeart2Heart
In response to eshascreations

I haven't used it regularly yet, but my current favorite is also the fiskars 12" with guideline wire. I use my small Fiskars 9" cutter for photos and smaller stuff, and have used that style since I first started scrapbooking. I'm on my second one, and I do love it so

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie
In response to NJHeart2Heart

i love mine! it's the fiskars 12" sure cut premium - it's the wider one, marked with sizes of cards AWESOME trimmer! and the new ones have titanium blades.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to msdixie

• msdixie Said:
i love mine! it's the fiskars 12" sure cut premium - it's the wider one, marked with sizes of cards AWESOME trimmer! and the new ones have titanium blades.

Do the titanium blades last longer? What are the benefits of them? I haven't heard or noticed anything about titanium blades.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to veejer

I had the Fiskars with the guide wire and LOVED it until the wire frayed.

I now have the CutterPillar pro rotary trimmer at home, and absolutely love it, but it takes up a bit of 'real estate', so I carry an older, the blue fiskars to crops.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by mjmone on 10-05-11 11:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

I love my old Creative Memories paper trimmer, now discontinued--don't know what I'll do when my last replacement blade is dull. I also love their little guillotine cutter and the big Purple Cow Combo with guillotine on one side and the changeable rotary blades on the other. I can't conceive of giving up any of them!

darkone
New Kid On the Block
darkone
In response to Ms. Fit

I have a ordinary A4 size guillotine, I've had it for a few years now and the blade is still sharp as ever and I just picked it up a K-Mart!

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to darkone

I've got the Fiskars 12" cutter. What I like about it is that there's not a cutting strip, like the cutterpedes which tended to get warped over time.

However, it doesn't do thicker material like chipboard well, at all. If I have a lot of photos to cut I usually bring out my smaller guillotine cutter. All the guillotine's I've tried are great cutting at the top of the blade, but get worse towards the bottom.

Tenant
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

I have the Fiskars trimmer that Just G has also and I LOVE IT!!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to DesignHog

I have the Fiskars premium cutter that pp are talking about and it cuts well but my blade keeps popping out....
It's not that old either, only bought it a few months ago...
Alison

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to kiyawinn

I bought a Swingline guillotine cutter in June at Office Depot, and it's been great. I had problems with every trimmer I ever had--they would tug and pull on my paper, making me very mad! One that I picked up Target was doing that stuff in its first week of use! My cutter was $30, but that is better than no-good $16-20 trimmers. I will never go back to trimmers.

Maria Featon
Tenant
Maria Featon
In response to jaspernonyx

I have a Kaisercutter (by Kaisercraft) and I'm very happy with it.

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to Maria Featon

My favorite is my cuttlebug! Love it!!

Tenant
In response to AniPie

I have an old Fiskars cutter that doesn't cut straight lines anymore, so I relegated it to coupon clipping and got a Carl on clearance at Office Max a few years ago. I love my Carl! But Costco had a Purple Cows cutter in mid to late January that I was sooo drooling over!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Ms. Fit

• Ms. Fit Said:
I love my old Creative Memories paper trimmer, now discontinued--don't know what I'll do when my last replacement blade is dull. I also love their little guillotine cutter and the big Purple Cow Combo with guillotine on one side and the changeable rotary blades on the other. I can't conceive of giving up any of them!

NO WAY!!!!! I have a CM paper trimmer (and an extra blade). I like that trimmer, but I also have a very cheap trimmer that I got at a garage sale for a $1. It is so used that I can't even read the name of it. And it came with an extra blade. This one I really like using. My CM blade keeps falling off, where as this garage sale special keeps up with me.

southernbelle777
Veteran
southernbelle777
In response to rebeccarichards

I have two Fiskars cutters. I like the cheaper version better.

jsharp
jsharp 
Resident
jsharp

I've had the Fiskars portable trimmer too for several years,love it and have had no problems. But about 6 months ago I bought the Tonic guillotine cutter since I am making more mini books now and cutting chipboard and just love love love it. The Fiskars can cut thin chipboard though. There is a posting about the Tonic cutter at Splitcoaststampers.com about the paper cut with a Tonic being really sharp and giving the poster several paper cuts. I've never experienced this. You just have to be careful with the guillotine of course. At the office they made us get rid of the guillotine-type cutters years ago. My scraproom is out in the garage area and hard for my granddaughter to get to so I'm okay with having it. Also, there's an unwritten rule that this is my workroom and family members don't enter it unless I am present. I might have my precious papers all laid out and covering the entire floor, etc. LOL...

Crafty Nautolan
Pro
Crafty Nautolan

I love my cricut trimmer... it was like $8 with the 40% off coupon at Michaels. Cuts straight and true every time, not too bulky and the replacement blades are inexpensive... used to have a martha stewart, still do actually, i just never use it 'cause it sucks

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Crafty Nautolan

I have several paper trimmers, but my favorite is the portable Fiskars grey one. I have used it for the past 8 years only needs changing the blade once in awhile.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

I have 3 that I love.
One - you can not buy blades for, the blade went dull, so I contacted fiskars and they sent me a brand new one free.

Two are fiskars and one is MM.

New Kid On the Block

fiskars is the best . I prefer a desk top paper trimmer because I can lay a 12x12 piece of paper flat on it. it gives a better and easier cut.

New Kid On the Block

Get some Cutter Glide and you can fix up any cutter. I have the Fiskars blade one and the Stampin up guillotine and I like the Fiskars best. Have to keep the track clean though.

autumnwillow
Diva
autumnwillow
In response to afriedell

I have an old 12 x12 desk top guillotine that I found at an auction like 15 years ago. It is possibly old than I am...or at least close. Still works like a charm and I actually like how heavy it is. Some of the travel ones seem too flimsy to me.

New Kid On the Block

i have enjoyed with your posts. Thanks for sharing.

New Kid On the Block

Something like this? http://www.guillotines.org.uk/hsm-ca3625-a4-office-g uil...

New Kid On the Block
In response to Just G

I think I have 12 different paper trimmers and the 1 I keep going back to is the cutterpillar. I know the cost is above all the rest but not just giving cards but selling them, I must have a true square cut. I use the cricut trimmer with a scoring blade only to make my folds. I hope this helps.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 12-21-15 08:49 PM
In response to liveforscrappin

A Tim Holtz ruler and an X-acto Knife.

New Kid On the Block

I have issues with paper trimmer. It has to be me. I have had a CM, purple cow (hated it), 3 fiskars, Martha Stewart , cuttle bug, cutter pillar pro. I now use a mat, ruler and blade. I still have most of them hanging around my scrap room.

5finns
5finns 
Guru
5finns
In response to muffybf

MY favorite is the 12" MM rotary mentioned above that is no longer available. My portable favorite is the old green provocraft that was 6.99---I bought blades before they discontinued it. I wish they would bring it back.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to 5finns

I have the Martha Stewart cutter and I love it. Blade is easy to change and available anywhere. I also have an old green guillotine style paper cutter like we used to have in school. Bought it at a church rummage sale. Not always straight, but it's old and probably needs sharpened and calibrated. I only use it for cardboard or chipboard..

New Kid On the Block
In response to TFCasper

I'm not sure how big of cutter that you are looking for, but both Dahle and Martin Yale (Premier/Intimus) make very high quality cutters. Decide how many sheets you need to cut, The site I list might help you make your choice .

AZAmy
AZAmy 
Expert
AZAmy
  • AZAmy on 06-07-16 12:29 PM
In response to veejer

Titanium blades are suppose cut better and stay sharp longer. They are a little more expensive but if they last longer the cost would be worth it. I go through blades pretty quickly.

New Kid On the Block
In response to AZAmy

I love my Genesis 16" paper cutter with edge light and guide bar. Wanted to purchase another one for our winter home, but from what I have seen they are not making them anymore. I purchased a Caterpillar pro and think it is probably the second best trimmer. If they start making Genesis trimmers again, I will buy another one.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 06-08-16 08:22 PM
In response to born2shop

Never cut more than one sheet at a time, unless accuracy does not count. There will always be slippage. If you cut 2 papers, there will be 2 sizes, 3 = 3 sizes, and so on. Granted, the difference will be slight, but if you are making 3 dimensional projects, the difference will show up.
On the other hand, it's not Hallmark, it's Handmade.

Tenant

I have a TONIC STUDIOS Tonic Studios Guillotine Paper Trimmer 12-Inch-by-12-Inch. It isn't very portable, although I take it everywhere with me. It is a precision guillotine cutter. It works so great. It can cut off an eyelash thin slice. It also needs no blade refills as it is self-sharpening (metal on metal). They make a 6x12 as well that is more portable plus they have smaller guillotines for pictures, etc. It is well worth the investment especially if you do your cropping at home. But again, I take it with me wherever I go.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics