Username Post: Masculine Scrapbooking Hints or Ideas?        (Topic#1564555)
designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Hi there, everybody.

I'm very, very new to scrapbooking- and already very, very into it- and I am male. So, I'm spending ost of my time looking around shops for stuff without flowers, chubby smily kids, or purse stickers. Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;-). Anybody out there got any ideas to help me - like, any great stuff/embellishments I can check out or supplies? Withut getting further involved with Tim Holtz? LoL.

I do have a Cricut, so I've also been on the lookout for a good cartridge, but not much luck finding anything... ( I have Don Juan, Millionaire, annd Carousel.). Every cartridge I checked out at Michael's seemed to have princess crowns. Or cartoons.

Thank you for any help!

-kory m.k.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to designguyKORY

I like the Heritage cartridge for the Cricut. It has a lot of old fashioned/classic images as well as vintage truck and car. I know there a few sports cartridges, too. Don't let the pastel like colors on the boxes fool you, just imagin the cutout in your style of colors. I think Paper Loft has some masculine papers.

Veronica

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

I can't offer any advice on cricut cartridges, but I know it can be difficult to find masculine products in this industry.

Graphic 45 have a great range of products that could be used for either feminine or masculine projects - and their papers work well with Tim Hotlz inks/products if you already have some of these.

I guess the other thing to do is use chipboard or other items that you can customise youself (eg. sand, paint, distress etc). Or search your local hardware store for findings to include in your projects.

Good luck!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Christine19850

Fancy Pants has good masculine papers, but I don't think those particular ones are sold on this site anymore, you may have to find a LSS that has them. 'Rough & Tough', 'Father & Son' are the ones i'm referring to.

Other brands may have only 1 or 2 good guy collections, like Basic Grey 'Vagabond' and 'Granola' lines are more masculine but the rest isn't. K&company has a few good colored packs too.

Sometimes I buy Cloud9 on clearance at JAs. The 'front' sides are full of flowers but the solid colors on the back are awesome.

good luck.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lamoo12

Wow, thank you everyoe- I've looked at everything mentioned and you've totally hit what I was looking for- thanks!!!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I love this Graphic 45 stuff!!! Thank you!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

Check out the Cricut Fathers Day cartridge. It has awesome guy shapes.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 09-21-11 07:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to debby_westbrook

Stampin Up has a line of designer papers called "mocha morning" its all browns, blacks, grays, not too many flowers or swirly pattern. also have a line called "well worn" that I think its the epitome of "masculine" lol. there is also a cricut lite cartridge (walmart) called something like dude or hey dude, it's kind of surfers but I think its more masculine.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to tegan-nicole

I just wanted to say to welcome to the site. I am so glad to see more guys getting into this craft.

Your frustration is right along with a lot of us who scrap masculine pages. Hopefully, the industry will start to recognize the need for more male oriented supplies.

As for cricut....
Other cartridges...Destinations, Father's day seasonal (its has an 1950's convertible etc.) Groovy times (60's theme with peace symbol and John Lennon looking glasses) phrases, Life's a beach, and some Halloween ones with 3d options.
I would shop on-line for carts better deal and more options.

Drop into the Cricut forum, they are a talented bunch and very helpful.

Welcome again and look forward to seeing more of your work.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to jaxxan

Welcome!

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to RockStar

welcome to SB.com!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Monique_McCoy

welcome to sb.com

I have 2 boys, so I'm always looking for more masculine stuff ...

Basic Grey has some good lines
Creative Memories has a line called "Rugged" that might also work for you

and as already mentioned, Graphic 45 and Tim Holtz are awesome

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to madmatter

Cricut Indie Art Cartridge is absolutely awesome!!It has bombs,skulls,barb wire....Do you have an Archiver's store near you?

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to vanessa.S

Hi Kory, welcome! There are rubber stamps too that are more guy oriented and you can stamp your own papers with cars, animals, tools, skateboards or whatever pushes your buttons. I have done this for my guy with the things he likes for background paper. But I have been a stamping addict for some time. But stamps are an easy to make paper or decorate pages.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

No, No Archiver's near me. I've never even heard of the store... I wish there was, I have The inventory of Michael's and Hobby Lobby memorized.

I went to a scrap store for the first time last week, and I think I scared the owner. She was totally silent, gave one word answers to anything I asked, and looked petrified. I'm afraid she thought I was casing the joint. However, I don't blame her, it's probably the first time a guy in a huge 4x4 truck pulled up, nearly jumping a parking curb, and he jumped out to run into her store.

-k

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

Aaaaaaaaa, I gotta find this Indie cartridge today! I've blown a little too much money since last payday, so I hope I don't hafta pay full price. I'm not a patient person.

K

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S

Haha your hilarious!I buy all my cartridges from ebay,,so much cheaper!I'm from Ohio and have an Archivers it's the best.Go to their website they have cool ideas.I too have a hard time finding boy/masculine stuff.Do you like Tim holtz stuff but just have no more choices?Eyelets are great to use and brads have lots of screws,metal buttons and rustic looks.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

Yeah, I love Tim Holtz's stuff. It's pretty much what got me all the way into scrapbooking. And I've liked rubber stamps since I was a kid.

One thing led to another, and next thing you know, Im jumping parking curbs to run into scrapbooking stores to find a new die for my BigKick!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

I was in Walmart today for something and saw a short aisle of scrapbooking stuff so I had to take a peek ... they had a Colorbok display of paper pads and at least 3 had masculine patterns.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to RockStar

Yes, walmart has all kinds of masculine papers, and stickers, they also have a set i bought thats not girly at all (i am doing a masculine layout matter of fact right now) and it was all browns, and dark greens, and blues, they also have set at my walmart that is greys, blacks and whites, they dont really have swirls or flowers they are just kinda nutrual, and have like "distressed" marking on them. also ive seen alot of hunting and fishing stuff at hobby lobby, they also have truck stickers, and layouts talking about (mud, fords, chevys umm anything kinda to do with the out doors. They also have all kinds of sporting papers, and stickers. Hope this helps!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ellybug312

I wish more companies would put out masculine lines. To me, "hunting, fishing and trucks" just doesn't cut it. I mean that's fine if you do those things, but we don't. That's why I prefer TH, he does masculine without it being "country". Hopefully more designers will follow suit.

(I'd also like to see more pet stuff that's not so cutesy.)

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to kelseymel

Exactly! A truck on the paper doesnt do it for me. I'm not trying to talk smack about fishing, hunting or trucks, but masuline doesnt only mean life on a farm, with a tractor and a bass.

I sure love Tim Holtz's paper. And stamps. But at the same time, I dont want everything I make to look old and rusty.

Aw I dont know what Im talkin about anymore

-kory m.k.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy

you strike me as more of the type that likes elegant then rustic. (I read your bio - you work in theater right?) Die cuts w/ a view has a paper pad called "the performance stack". take a look and see if its something you'd be interested in.

Die Cuts with a View - The Performance Collection - Foil Paper Stack - 12 x 12

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Monique_McCoy

Thanks for the tip on the performance paper pad!

And yes, I work in theatre. It sounds elegant. But it isn't. Especially this show I'm on, now. Never thought I'd hear, "and who is building the dead body for the end?" at a production meeting.

But I'm surprisingly not into elegant, well, that isnt true. About a combination of the two you mentioned, rustic elegance. And then some severe love of the mid-century look. I hope there's a mid-century modern paper pack out there for me, and a mod 60's, too!

-kory m.k.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Don't know if you found this but look at the BoBunny Cambridge collection:
http://store.scrapbook.com/collection-brand/camb ridge-b...

It has argyle patterns in it. Look for woodgrain, houndstooth, brick. plaid, paisley, argyle. You can google Harley Davidson scrapbooking and there are some metal pages that are cool. If you like to cook BBQ. For nature, look for trees, some of that will be under a camping theme or national parks.

The Harley metal is a Karen Foster design.
http://www.scrappinstuff.com/store/motorcycle-c-12 3

Also, I have used corregated cardboard and here is how I did it:

http://www.scrapbook.com/tips/doc/45299/51.html

Dusty to create but it is masculine!

If you like mod-60's I am using a collection that looks like Andy Warhol patterns to me. K&Co Handmade Cara Marie.

Also you might like the Die Cuts With a View "The Green Stack". It's funky pop art environmental. Discontinued but you might find it at a Hobby Lobby or JoAnn, I've seen it recently. It has both blue and brown woodgrain. Good luck!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to CrimsonMama

Thanks! Wow, I love the argyle pattern. Houndstooth is one of my favorite patterns. So much so that, for a while, everything in my house ended up with some houndstooth on it somewhere.

-kory m.k.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Everytime I see something masculine I am going to think of you! LOL!

I think you can find a lot but it will be picking out of different collections here and there.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

I found The Green Stack at my TJ Maxx, so if you like it you might want to check TJ's out if you have one convenient to you.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to RockStar

I've got a new play in major rehearsals starting this week and I've gotta be at the theatre until 10pm or so every night! I'm going crazy, sitting there, knowing all the stores are closing and I'm sitting there, trapped and powerless!!!! lol

I can't wait for the weekend so I can go blow some money on some classy papers, yo!

-kory m.k.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

• designguyKORY Said:
I love this Graphic 45 stuff!!! Thank you!

The Tim Holtz distress inks got me into papercraft too - but my style tends to be more bright and colourful LOL! I've just made a set of cards with the Magic of Oz Papers and I think I've fallen in love with Graphic 45 too!

Don't forget to check out youtube - if you're unsure how you could use a whole collection, just search for it on youtube - some of the projects posted are amazing. It's not masculine but search: magic of oz gatefold mini - it's by scrappinnwrappin. It's a good demonstration of the collection, and she's made the album more "blingy" than grungy. Just shows the versatility of the collections :-)

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Ok one more thing. Look at the Studio Calico line. They have some paper you might be interested in including houndstooth and - a houndstooth background stamp.

You are helping me spend too much money! LOL!
Products Referenced in This Post:

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

OH WHOA! A houndstooth background stamp?!?! I think we need a mop, here.

Oh Payday Friday, don't delay. (oooh I rhyme. It hurts being this cool.)

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Oh my, you do have a bit of a dilema. I'm female, but I'm also the only female in my house. Let's just say that pinks, flowers, purses, and other "girly" things do not get much use unless I'm making something for myself or my niece!

Finding masculine scrapbooking things was a big dilema for me for a long time. One thing that I did was to find papers in primary colors (red, blue, yellow, orange, green, brown, white and black). Those made nice solid papers. Then I went looking for travel themed resources. I found a nice set of papers at Wal-Mart that was road maps, road signs, etc.

If you're willing to print papers then I've discovered that a website known as "ScrapbookScrapbook" has a nice selection. They have a motorcycle theme, tartan theme, and a few other masculine things.

I also discovered that paper piecings worked better for me than traditional store bought emblies. If you do a search for scrapbook paper piecings you will find gobs that include: grills, wildlife, christmas themed, and so much more. I found car keys, lockers, and even some school and sports things.

If you want some ideas for things like paper clips, I discovered a few that can be made from household items. The plastic bread ties (not twist ties) that come on bread, potatoes, etc. are really cool. All you have to do is paint them with acrylic paint. You can then add a letter stamp, or whatever to them. You can find printable templates for things like tags and then cut your own tags from various papers or cardstock. And regular cardstock that is found in the office section of places like Wal-Mart are cheaper than the ones found in the scrapbooking section. They are also archive safe and you can run them through the printer to make your own cardstock. Crayola color pencils are safe for scrapbooking if you want to draw or color your own designs, and the same is true for Crayola fine tiped markers. Just don't actually write on your photos with them because they don't dry well on "glossy" things.

Hope this helps some.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Thanks so much! Those are some great ideas- I love the idea about using plastic tabs/tags and painting them! I'm really into making my own things/reusing or repurposing things- I love the look.

One of things I've been doing at work this week: I found a pair of needle nose pliers in a desk drawer, so I've been bending paper clips into pins similar to the Tim Holtz clips/sticks with the circle at the top to put a picture/tag in and pin it to the picture. Then I run the edge of a Sharpie against it to color them so they don't look like paper clips so much. I'm pretty proud of these! lol

I'm really into anything travel related. I've always loved to travel (so much so that I spent six years as a travel agent) and even lived in Australia for a while (when I was young and wild). ;-) I really love the old style 'elegant' travel look.

later!
-Kory

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

You might also check out Paper Wishes. They have both a web site and a paper catalog. They carry quite a bit of masculine stuff--papers, embellishments, stamps, etc. They also have sales on line every month. They have good service and are reliable. I have never had one bit of trouble with them. Also, if you live on the west coast, your package will arrive in pretty good time. Have a good time!

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to Ms. Fit

Cricut Cartridge - Going Places - everything looks like road signs. Combined with some Distress inks, you get the effect of a stolen street sign on the wall of a man cave!

My manly man is into computers and gaming - not much of that out there either! Anytime I find something I scoop it up for "someday" scrapping his gaming. I mean come on, why hasn't someone come out with a World of Warcraft licensed line of scrapping products? THere's bound to be someone that wants to scrap their trip to Blizzcon!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to scrapsweet

Scrapsweet, I often make my own gaming embellishments - I made a pretty kicka$$ template for a paper Playstation controller that looks amazing!

Most of the gaming embellishments on the market, however, are either intentionally juvenile or really dismissive of the hobby.

Tonight I will try to remember to upload some of my gaming layouts - also we used to go to anime and video game conventions and I did some nice layouts of our costumes and of other people's costumes.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Travel? DID YOU SEE THIS? WOW!

Edited by CrimsonMama on 10-17-11 05:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I very recently saw a few pages from this collection and am in freakin lust with it! Want all! Want all!

K

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann

The gals gave you some awesome ideas... and I wanted to pop in and tell you that even though you don't have an Archivers near you, they do have an online store now. Thought you would like that!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ehammann

Kory- check out the cricut paper dolls carts. Yes, I know, dolls do not = manly7 BUT there are TONS of other things to be found on those carts. They're my go to when I need something "odd"

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Seaexplore

I love the Paper Dolls cart, but I've never thought of it in any way as a gendered cartridge. Sure you can make actual toy paper dolls with it, and I can see where someone might think that makes that function of the cart "girly" - or maybe that's just people having a kneejerk reaction to the word "Dolls" in the title - but I don't see where putting outfits on bodies to replicate real people somehow makes people in general think the cart wouldn't have any use for boys. Maybe if they had called the cart "Bodies and Clothing" it wouldn't face this problem. It includes plenty of traditionally "male" haircuts and outfits (such as a football uniform).

For the record, I am 30, female, married, and have no kids, and have used shapes from the cart as follows:
- two baby shapes for a gift album for a friend (for the birth of her son)
- baseball bats
- a zoo entrance
- a grass border
- a travel border
- pet accessories
- multiple adult humans
- a few pairs of pants for a story I scrapped about pants.

There is tons you can do with this cart regardless of your subject matter. Don't let a gut reaction of "but paper dolls are a toy for little girls!" get in your way. It is not a frilly cart at all.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to aquabunny

Dolls don't scare me, anyways. I grew up on a street full of girls. I played dolls all my childhood! Well, I was actually more involved in the 'building process.' lol. I used to build the homes (using such advanced materials like twigs, boards, cardboard, tape) for the girl neighbors to move their Barbies into...

Those were the days. I wish I could just play all day, now!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Haha, that sounds like me, I would build elaborate homes and towns out of Lincoln Logs and Legos for my Lego people, and then spin elaborate tales of the lives they led in their plastic and wooden cities.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-19-11 10:00 AM
In response to aquabunny

I dunno about carts (I have a Gazelle and a Big Kick). But, I also don't typically do "girly," which is kinda weird since I am a bit of a girly girl!

Making or adapting papers is a great way to go - use ink, paint & mist to change the colors, and stamps to add pattern. There are also a lot of graphic patterns that are very uni-sexual.

And yes yes YES - a good MCM line would completely ROCK!! I've run a across a few papers here and there, but a whole line, wow - I'd buy everything, even the bling! Since you have a Big Kick, Quickutz has a great googie sign set called Billboard. Sideshow Stamps has some cool designs. If I can think of anything else I've seen I'll definitely let you know!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

Ohhh wow, I am in already love with this Quickutz BILLBOARD set! Gotta find it! Thanks a lot...another thing for me to obsess over.

I wish I could get over my mental block about online ordering. I like going into a store and paying and having it in my hand immediately!!!

-k

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-19-11 01:52 PM

Happy to help I buy almost everything online - I have a local M's and a J's and a couple other craft stores, but none of them are great. There's a fantastic LSS - but it's an hour drive each way plus a five dollar bridge toll ... and as good as it is they definitely don't carry everything I want either.

studiocbychelsea
Pro
studiocbychelsea

I've made a few cards with a couple basicgrey paper packs...Oliver has a few kiddo prints but a lot of masculine adult prints/colors as well
Products Referenced in This Post:

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

Hi, Kory--

I've done a couple of "masculine" pages, and most of them featured flannel. I got some flannel shirts free from a local thrift store--they were in the "throw out" bin b/c of rips, buttons missing, etc. Flannel is great! For my next "masculine" page, I am going to try leather. Hope I can find some at the thrift store!

amityknight
Tenant
amityknight
In response to ehammann

It is so refreshing to see a man on here. My husband is a history teacher and has done a few pages for his Book Of Me (BOM) but got frustrated with the lack of blokey papers and supplies. I try to tone down his pages so they are not as feminine. He says that even most peoples blokey pages are still really girly. I must say I have to agree.
I've used a few of the Kaisercraft papers for pages for him but I'm not sure where in the US you can get those papers. The range is called hunters and gatherers and apart from the one fish paper it is a really nice range.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to amityknight

Hiya Amity!

What I'm liking most is just using rather plain colored cardstock and inking it up to make y own backgrounds. Also, I'm attracted to lots of papers that look like vintage men's suits. I'm really into the Mid-Century modern look. Also, I recently found some cool paper at the local store, I wish I knew the brand name, so I could tell you- but they look kinda like insect displays from a natural history museum! One has beetles in a patten. (the bugs, not The Beatles-lol) and another has butterflies. But not the feminine kinda butterflies, but very cool 'bug display' butterflies. Does that make sense? Some of you are probabky saying HOW does a butterfly patterned scrapbook paper not look all ladylike?! Well, I don't know either, but I swear it does!

It's cool to hear your man made some pages! I'm gonna have a party someday soon, and make everyone make a page. Everyone!

amityknight
Tenant
amityknight

I have just upload some of the papers I have used to create some masculine pages. These are from the Kaisercraft Hunter and Gatherer range and reminded me instantly of the papers you found. Have a look. I love the stamps that come with this collection.
hunter and gatherer

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Whoa, those pages are COOL! I love them! I gotta get this paper collection. And I gotta get that rope stamp. Do you keep your scraproom unlocked and when's your next vacation? ;-). But seriously! I love your pages!

K

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

Love your Hunter/Gatherer pages Amity - those scout pics are very cute :-)

darkone
New Kid On the Block
darkone

At the start you maybe be stumped but once you get your mind going it's amazing. Just think dark colours and dirt and mud. Scratching things to make them look old also helps.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to darkone

I really think that's over-generalizing - I can't imagine using dirt and mud to scrap stuff about my husband. Not all guys are the dirt-and-mud type and I think we shut down a lot of great ideas by making over-generalizations like that.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to aquabunny

Yeah, I don't know about the mud and dirt. lol

Thanks to lots of links on here, it really pointed me in a great direction. Also, seeing some of the really great things everyone else has made has helped me make some things I wouldn't have previously thought about- for example, the card I made last night, I added some paper flowers to- and as they're a natural, paper color - while looking feminine (for a card for my boss) they still look more...'classic.'

I also really don't like strict gender roles. Possibly from being raised by progressive parents and (mostly) from spending summers at an acting school, being taught by crazed hippies. BUT- I still want my pages to look like, 'me' and ... at first, I was having trouble finding things I didn't feel look like - aw, whatever, I'm rambling again and I don't even know what I'm talkin about! I think what I was getting to is that my style isn't so much mud and sticks and monster trucks, but a little more 'Mad Men' and some older, vintage world traveler - and wow, have I been finding some cool stuff to use!

I've also been in a loop the past few weeks of making things for other people (cards, boxes, stuff) than working on my scrapbook. But that's gonna change this weekend! Also, the play that I'm stage managing is closing on Sunday- so I'll have some MORE time to scrap! For a while, anyways...

-Kory

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-03-11 09:18 AM

Yeah, that's like saying because I'm female I should think about pink and flowers and buttons. But those just don't work for most of my projects. Similarly, I wouldn't use 90% of the papers that are out there, possibly more. They're just not "me."

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

You mean you don't think about pink and flowers and buttons?

;-)

k

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Haha, yeah, I see topics where people say they use flowers on everything so they have a hard time scrapping boys, and I'm just sitting here blinking and trying to figure out why I would want to use flowers even on girl pages - or on any page that isn't specifcally somehow about flowers.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-03-11 12:27 PM
In response to aquabunny

lol. Pink maybe, I do like pink even though I almost never use it in scrapping, or at least not as a dominant color.

Buttons, never. They belong on clothing, I will NEVER understand their use as an embellishment.

Flowers .... sometimes:
Bat Flower By Kuzatab

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

WOW! Love the flower!!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I like buttons, but largely... you guessed it... on pages that somehow actually relate to buttons or sewing. I suppose I could use one as a flower center if I were to ever use a flower. And themed buttons are different; I used a green leaf button (which had come with a top as an extra button, but I don't have the top anymore) on a page about my front garden.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-03-11 07:31 PM

• designguyKORY Said:
WOW! Love the flower!!!

Isn't it cool?!?!? We're members of the conservatory, last time we were there several of these flowers were blooming at once, almost wish I'd waited on doing this LO. I did take several other pics of mostly pink flowers (lol!!!), just because there were so many and several of them are fairly unusual - I was thinking of an LO that I could actually use a lot of pink and glitter on!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics