Username Post: Glimmer Mists and Alcohol Inks        (Topic#1566731)
kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate

Is there anyone here who makes their own glimmer mists or their own Alcohol Inks. I am on a rather tight budget since my husband has been unemployed since February, and I am very careful with my shopping. I have read quite a bit on the net about making my own of either one, but would love some advice from a seasoned crafter.

Any thoughts?

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles
In response to kimberly.pate

I make my own...both glimmer and alcohol. There's a couple of different recipes on YouTube for both.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Ms_Pebbles

I make my own glimmer mist, using water and perfect pearls powder-super easy, super shimmery. My recipe is:

Fill a mini mister 3/4 with water and use a popsicle stick to scoop up a bit of perfect pearls and sprinkle it in the water. Shake well before each use! To add a bit of color I use my re-inkers-just a couple of drops. The more drops the richer the color. I figured the re-inkers were a good investment since I already use the stamp pads and would need to re-ink eventually anyway.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to MrsAnnieS

I didn't even know you could make your own alcohol inks. I recently got some reinkers from a LSS that was going out of business. They were less than $3 each. I prefer to use the reinkers because I think the color/texture is better, I tried the paint for color and I did not like it. I like making my own glimmer mist but I hate buying the Perfect Pearls cause they are pricey even with a coupon (when you are watching your pennies). I also don't like using the mini mister bottles. I like bigger bottles. I got a few from Hobby Lobby. I have seen them in Michaels too. Now to find a Youtube video on alc. inks.....

Ms.Schwiet
Queen
Ms.Schwiet
In response to Ms. Mom

Here's some recipes I have collected:

glitter glaze, twinkling h2o, shimmer paint, or glimmer glam
Homemade glimmer mist
Homemade alcohol ink
Make-Up Glimmer Mist

my favorite of these is the twinkle h2o; If I remember correctly Kimberly you do lots of cards and stamping so I think you'll love the twinkle h2o. I bought a big bottle of the iridescent stuff for under 10 last spring and I still have LOTS left

i didn't get the homemade alcohol ink to work out right so I have Rite dye by the truck load

the make-up one was just not as great as simply mixing metallic paint or acrylic paint with iridescent medium to some water in a squirt bottle

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Ms.Schwiet

Thank you, Kimberly, for asking the question. And thank you everyone for answering! This is something I wouldn't have thought of, but now I'm glad to know!

K

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to designguyKORY

Kimberly,
I use MrsAnnieS technique too for glimmer mist- really simple, and so versitile. You can pick up little sprtizer bottles at the loonie store, and then just refill as you go with any colour combinations you want! I really like the mini misters from Ranger too - a bit pricy, but I love the way they spray and mine haven't clogged (which can be a problem). I also love how small they are because I am forever changing my colour combinations. Oh, and feel free to play with the balance of pearls to water - it is pretty forgiving!

I haven' made my own alchol inks, but I think I better look that up too!

Edited by scrappycanuck1 on 11-12-11 01:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to scrappycanuck1

Does HL, Michaels, or anywhere besides online carry the mini misters to make the glimmer mist. Just yesterday I got all the stuff, including a small mister bottle to make some and after two sprays, my mister quit. I don't like ordering online but if i have to I guess I will because I really want to try making the glimmer mist.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Trina_P

I've seen the 3pk of MiniMisters at Michael's.

K

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to designguyKORY

Great! Thanks. I looked online at Michaels but did not see it. Could have been "Operator Error" haha.

Will check that out.

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to Trina_P

Trina, I did buy mine at Ms so definitely ask if you don't find them!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I make my own glimmer for specialty colors but also buy a lot of them.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Sneezy1956

I am going tomorrow to get the misters. I was so excited to have all my stuff gathered up, bought little spray bottles and two sprays into it, the sprayer quit! I was so aggravated. Getting organized to do something is half my battle.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Trina_P

Trina, if your M's doesn't carry them, or if you'd prefer a larger bottle, I get mine at Sally Beauty Supply. CVS/Pharmacy also has them in the travel size plastics section.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to GemGirl

Well this sure is looking like I am not meant to do this. Now I get to Michaels and they are out of them. A truck comes Thursday.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Trina_P

thanks for posting this - there are some great ideas here!! I too have made some oh my own Glimmer mists!! I found several different was to make on you tube!

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate
In response to Ms.Schwiet

Thanks for all the great links! I appreciate it!

Kimberly

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate
In response to Trina_P

Do you have a JoAnn's Store? I bought some mini misters at Joann's a while ago. You might find some there.

Kimberly

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate

• scrappycanuck1 Said:
Kimberly,
You can pick up little sprtizer bottles at the loonie store, and then just refill as you go with any colour combinations you want!

Okay ~ what is the loonie's store? This is not one I have heard of, is it location specific perhaps?

Kimberly

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to kimberly.pate

Same thing as a dollar store. In Canada the nickname for our dollar coin is "loonie".

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

They also have the mini misters at hobby-lobby, in any store ive been in they are allways close to .. the distress ink/and perfect pearls powder.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to ellybug312

Well a friend and I experimented again and her mister failed too. It worked fine til she put in the Martha Steward extra fine glitter then it clogged.

But there were no mini misters in stock at Michaels so she used the larger bottles. Are the mini misters better at not clogging or is there another trick to this?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Trina_P

the glitter might be the problem. I use perfect pearls in them with no problems at all.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Seaexplore

Well we used it following the instructions in some of the YouTube videos recommended on this thread. Oh well, will keep trying something different.

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

• ColbyCheeseCat Said:
Same thing as a dollar store. In Canada the nickname for our dollar coin is "loonie".

Thanks!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics