Username Post: Scrapbook christmas idea        (Topic#1567591)
New Kid On the Block

Hello I am new to scrap booking. I would like to get my girlfriend a scrapbook and a little kit for Christmas but have no idea where to start. She been hinting about wanting to start a scrap of memories of our relationship. Her favorite color is purple and I have been looking at some of the purple books but would like to know what would be a good sized one, also any ideas on some good beginner kits?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mock_gam

I would recommend taking her shopping and see what he gravitates to and then go back and purchase some of the things she likes.

I personally stick to 12 x 12 but there are other sizes people love. There are so many choices, you really need more input from her.

Possibly a gift certificate at one of the places who have classes so she can sit in a beginners class might be helpful to her too. The classes are $5.00-$15.00 although places like Archivers have the introduction classes free. I had no idea what I wanted until I attended the Archivers free class. If you did that before Christmas (they did it 2 or 3 times a week in Atlanta) she would know more what kind of books, glues, pens, etc. she wanted and it is only a couple hours, you could take the class with her.

Who knows - you might catch the scrap bug too.

EmahB
EmahB 
Expert
EmahB
  • EmahB on 12-06-11 11:41 AM
In response to Henri Jean

I don't know if there's a purple beginner's kit, but you could buy her the colors that she likes and then some scrappin' tools that she could use to get started (tape, scissors, ribbon, buttons, chalk...). Like Henri said, a gift certificate would be a nice idea also.

New Kid On the Block
In response to EmahB

thank you for the replies. Sadly we live in a smaller town and dont have much for scrapbook stores in them. So I cant really get any ideas there. Another thing is I dont really like giving out gift certificates for gifts. I will continue looking around and see if I find something she would like.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mock_gam

If she wants to do a book on your relationship and has kept mementos and such....check out the Smash Books...just do a search for Smash and you'll see what I mean...then watch the video.
It would be great for a beginner and is great if you want to journal, save ticket stubs, photos etc....
I got one for my niece along with some pockets and tabs etc...for her to keep her University memories in...
Alison

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to kiyawinn

Hey! My boyfriend sounds like you..haha But the best advice i can tell you is get her a nice 12x12 kit, they cost like 25 dollars at micheals or hobby lobby, get her the one that has matching paper, and stickers with it, i have seen a purple, lime green, pink, and blue one at micheals i LOVE! OH and purples my favorite color, so really anything cute with purple on it, get that, because scrapbooking really has no rules and you probably know what she likes so pick out stuff that matches her personallity. Did that help?

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to ellybug312

Oh and another helpful thing you can do is, go to walmart if they have a scrapbooking section, and they have alot of stickers, and packs of paper, that range from 1.00-15.00 you could get a bunch of goodies, for her, that way as well.

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 12-17-11 09:27 AM
In response to ellybug312

I would get her the essentials, a good pair of sissors, glue runner, papper trimmer, some single papper choices shades of purple. If you want a good book close to my heart has idea books that have instructions that are easy to follow you can get them from the company or micheals.unless you know what she wants to scrap it would be hard to get her themed stickers and items and may get her things she won't use.I'm sure whatever you get her she will love.I think it's wonderful you would do this for her.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to mock_gam

Search through the Superstore here! They have some fun kits. The one below isn't purple, but they have others to chose from.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Luvmyfam

I'd start with a stack of papers that all coordinate, scissors, adhesive, a paper trimmer, a few embellishments, maybe a couple rolls of ribbon and some sparkly gems, an 8x8 or 12x12 book and let her go from there,,,,

it's the basic beginner's kit I got for my daughter. And it's enough for her to get an idea if she likes scrapping or not.

I often recommend 8x8 books for beginners b ecause those 12x12 pages can seem overwhelming when you don't have that many embellishments or tools yet,,,,but 8x8 will hold a couple pics and a few flowers or a ribbon and still look full.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

oh and maybe a couple colors of journaling pens,,,,black, white, maybe brown.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

another cute idea is to get her a calendar kit,,,usually, there's a pre-printed calendar and tons of embellishments to make a calendar for the next year,,,,,,

by the time she's half done with it, she'll know if she likes to scrap or not,,,,

make sure to buy a paper trimmer, scissors, and adhesive to go with it.

the kits can be had for as little as 10 bucks (just saw some for that price at Michaels this week)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics