Username Post: Wish I did my research...        (Topic#1567593)
CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty

So a little less then a year ago my wonderful DH bought me a cricut expression--which I REALLY wanted at the time. However, at the time I didn't realize how expensive cricut cartridges can be and how little of each one I use. I know if I had the time/money I might use it more, but with 2 DK & going to college & moving...yeah. Now I'm wishing that I knew about the Silhouette :(. From what I have read (yes a little to late), you can use items off your computer (not a cartridge) or buy some if you need it from the Silhouette website & it be fairly inexpensive.

Is someone willing to trade?? I have some cartridges I can give you too! lol.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to CountrynCrafty

You might have success selling it on ebay or craigslist. Depending on the number of cartridges and which ones you have, you may only need to put a little more money down to buy the Sil, Cameo, Zing or buy a used black cat cougar or klick n kut.
There are many computer based machines out there.
Sorry you don't care for your Expression~

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

I don't know too many silhouette owners who would give it up for a Cricut. Maybe you could sell it and put the money towards a Silhouete Cameo?

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to CorrieW

something similar happened to me a few years ago (3?). My now-hubby (we were engaged back then) gave a cricut for Christmas and after 6 months I learned about the Pazzles machine. I told him about it and he encouraged me to sell my cricut and 6-9 cartridges (separately, they sell for more) that I had and I did! I actually only had to put in about $100 or so to get the Pazzles mini (this machine back then was $500, I paid $300 for a used one on evilbay). I have since upgraded to the Pazzles Inspiration (which I love even more!) but that's another story
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to Amarilys

I agree with Corrie--gonna be hard to find someone to trade with. I'd try Craigslist for selling the machines and carts, but with realistic expectations because even here in the middle of Iowa I see several Cricuts each week listed and sometimes I see the price and think "good luck with that!" All the work will be worth it though--I love my Cameo!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to HuskerMom98

If you sell it on Evilbay, just make sure you take it to the post office to find out realistic shipping costs BEFORE you list it. That way you don't short yourself shipping costs in the deal.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to angie girl

To me.. Even if I thought I wasn't going to use my cricut expression (I sold mine for my imagine, and I also bought a Cameo) I would keep it.. Personally, I hate my self for getting rid of my cricut expression..

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to love4scrappin85

• love4scrappin85 Said:
To me.. Even if I thought I wasn't going to use my cricut expression (I sold mine for my imagine, and I also bought a Cameo) I would keep it.. Personally, I hate my self for getting rid of my cricut expression..

She does make a valid point. I use my Cricut more than I do my Gazelle. However, it is nice to be able to cut whatever I want! I like the flexibility of having both types of cutting systems.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to HisGEM

IDK, even if you thought you weren't going to use it, i would still keep it... The cartridges to me aren't that badly priced and you can still download SCAL 1, if you really wanted to cut different fonts and shapes on / from your computer..

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I don't think SCAL1 is available any longer. I love my cricut expression, and in the best of both worlds, I'd have both a cricut AND a cutter that cut svg files,,,,,,but of course, that costs money LOL.

good luck whatever you decide. But just know you can get a brand new cricut E for under 200 bucks,,,,,,selling a used one is harder I think because most people (including myself when I checked into it) have to save A LOT before they are willing to go used.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to CommaHolly

good luck with your decision on getting another cutter but from personal experience i would keep it just in case.

i first started with the baby bug i hated it so i sold it and bought the silhouette. i hated that one too so i sold it and bought the cricut expression i loved it then just recently i bought the gypsy and so much more opened up to me. i personally dont think the carts or bad priced if ya wait for deals or even ebay. I;ve bought many for under 15 bucks.

Again good luck!!

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to Briannasmom

I'm pretty sure Scal1 is available still.. I was just on the website that you download it from

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut

Cartridges are expensive if you buy them full price (and even some sale prices are high). Keep in mind that you can get them a lot cheaper online at evilbay and some online stores. I personally LOVE my cricut! Love it even more with the Gypsy!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crazycricut

I was on the Cricut website this morning and I saw a little survey - it popped up but I was too busy to take it.

It asked if you would be willing to buy Cricut cartridges in a digital format. To me, that means, would you be willing to buy cartridges by downloading to Gypsy or a way to use them on line and link to the Cricut. It would have to be some way where you would not need the the keyboard overlay and physical cartridge.

If that comes to pass, it may cut down a lot of the cost of buying cartridges for the Cricut. But I don't see how you could get around needing the overlay and cartridge unless you were going to use them with a program online that would link to the Cricut or a Gypsy.

Wish I had paid more attention to the little box!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Henri Jean

before you give away your cricut, check out mycutsearch.com. that is a list of any type of image and what cart it's on. you may have a lot of images on your carts that you forget about. that might be a way to use your existing things more.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Lamoo12

Never, ever pay full price for a cartridge! The most I have spent is $30..and thats alot. You can find great deals all over...Ebay, Big Lots...or just search Google. Especially right now. Lots of great sales going on.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

• Henri Jean Said:
I was on the Cricut website this morning and I saw a little survey - it popped up but I was too busy to take it.

It asked if you would be willing to buy Cricut cartridges in a digital format. To me, that means, would you be willing to buy cartridges by downloading to Gypsy or a way to use them on line and link to the Cricut. It would have to be some way where you would not need the the keyboard overlay and physical cartridge.

If that comes to pass, it may cut down a lot of the cost of buying cartridges for the Cricut. But I don't see how you could get around needing the overlay and cartridge unless you were going to use them with a program online that would link to the Cricut or a Gypsy.

Wish I had paid more attention to the little box!

The Cricut Craft Room is up and running on cricut.com

I believe this is the program you use when buying digital cartridges and shapes...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to debby_westbrook

That makes sense. Wonder if they can be downloaded onto the Gypsy. That would make sense. But that doesn't mean it will work.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• love4scrappin85 Said:
I'm pretty sure Scal1 is available still.. I was just on the website that you download it from

my understanding is that due to the settlement tha tboth sides agreed to, SCAL will no longer be supported by cricut,,,,,and that NO versions of SCAL now available will be able to be used on cricuts. If you already HAVE SCAL, you can still use it, however.

CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty

I talked it over with the hubs & he said not to sell the cricut, he'd rather me keep it & he'll buy the silhouette a lil' later. He said we bought it NEW for 175 or something like that, so considering it's been used twice, it probably won't bring any more then that. Well, guess I can deal with that lol ;). I am going to look into the Cricut Craft Room though-thanks ya'll!!

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85

Holly - My understanding from the website was that you can still download the 1st generation & use it on a cricut as long as you don't upgrade your cricut.. I maybe wrong but I swore thats what I saw.. hang on.. I'll find it...

http://forum.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2...

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I would NOT be interested in buying any digital cartridges. They are being sold to use with the Cricut Craft Room for about $15, which I think is a lot for something you can't hold in your hand physically. I've gotten actual cartridges complete with manuals and overlays for that price on sale or on ebay. The digital carts can be used with a Gypsy, but I still think it's overpriced for something that doesn't cost the company anything extra. I think the price should be more in line with the price of Apple store app downloads, including some for free or 99 cents, and up to about $5.

It's meant to be used with the on-line software connected to your Cricut machine. Provocraft will only allow you to use two computers for the software, so you're out of luck if you are visiting someone and want to use their computer with the Cricut. You also need an Internet connection for the software to work. If you don't have a good connection, you can't do anything with it.

mickeysamiga
Queen
mickeysamiga
In response to Solitaire

I'm so glad you have decided to keep your Cricut. I've had the Expression for several years and have several (ok alot) of cartridges, however like everyones already said....NEVER buy full price. There are so many deals out there for carts. I also have the Silhouette and honestly, I like having both and use both. I wouldn't give up either at this point.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mickeysamiga

If I can use digital carts with my Gypsy, that may be the way I would prefer to go. The boxes and carts and overlays are just taking up space.

I download books to my Kindle all the time for $12.00-$15.00. I've already downloaded one this week and I guess I'll download another if I think about it. So it doesn't bother me to pay $15.00 to have the cart just put on my Gypsy.

Problem is, I need to learn to use the Gypsy. Right now I'm pretty clueless.

But I think I would like being able to buy them in digital if they can be downloaded to the Gypsy.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

The regular carts are not available as digital downloads. The digital images are specially created for the Craft Room. And from what I've heard, the ones available are very childish and cartoonish.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
The regular carts are not available as digital downloads. The digital images are specially created for the Craft Room. And from what I've heard, the ones available are very childish and cartoonish.

Regular cartridge ARE available. I am not sure if they can be used on the Gypsy but I thought I read people have exported files using the digis to their Gypsy.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to HisGEM

Also, it was pointed out to me last week in a discussion here on another thread, digital carts are running as high as $50- just wanted to clear that up! cause i thought the $15 bucks was very reasonable, till Holly pointed me in the right direction. Boo to PC for making the price so high, especially like stated above, it is costing them less, no booklet, no overlay, no physical cartridge, no shipping to stores, etc..
and yet we still are paying full price ---or more, as most of us get them on good sales.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

$50.00 makes no sense at all for the digital. I don't mind the $15.00 at all, and would probably order quite a few if they would go on Gypsy but I am not paying $50.00 for a Cricut Cartridge and overlay or digi.

I believe in paying a fair price for what I get and $15.00 for digi for my Gypsy sounds very fair. However, $50.00 is not. At least not to me.

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps

I've never, ever paid full price for a cricut cart, and never will. I've bought all of mine for $30 or less, and quite a few were for $15'ish on ebay. You just have to be patient and keep watching. You will get outbid a lot for the new releases but eventually, you'll get it.

I have a cricut expression 2, imagine, and a silhouette...as well as pazzles, a slice & eclips. I love all of my cutters for different reasons and couldn't get rid of any of them. A friend of mine just brought her cameo over to play last night and I am contemplating upgrading my silhouette for it...I don't know yet.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• love4scrappin85 Said:
Holly - My understanding from the website was that you can still download the 1st generation & use it on a cricut as long as you don't upgrade your cricut.. I maybe wrong but I swore thats what I saw.. hang on.. I'll find it...

http://forum.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2...

LOL, now I'm confused,,,,,Here's the agreement between PC and Craft Edge.

• Quote:
This is to provide notice that, as of May 13, 2011, Craft Edge Inc.
has agreed to stop selling, offering to sell or distributing its
software product, Sure Cuts A Lotâ„¢ major versions 1.0 and 2.0, in
accordance with the terms of a confidential settlement agreement
entered into with Provo Craft and Novelty, Inc. The litigation between
Provo Craft and Craft Edge will be terminated with all claims
dismissed. To ensure compliance with this settlement, Craft Edge
requests that all our distributors, partners and affiliates completely
stop selling, offering for sale or distributing these versions by no
later than May 27, 2011

Craft Edge greatly appreciates and values its relationship with you
and desires to work together now to close one chapter of that
relationship and open a new one. We will continue to provide quality
software for our shared customers in Sure Cuts A Lotâ„¢ version 3.0
and beyond.

this was actually a letter sent to a craft edge affiliate FROM craft edge,,,,,,,

here's the whole link http://scrpbooklady.blogspot.com/2011/05/communication -...

so if someone is selling v1 or v2, they are doing so illegally.

I saw another post somewhere, that SCAL v1 was selling for over 400 dollars on EBAY, again, an illegal sale, from what's said above.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

SCAL2, however, IS selling on EBAY for almost 200 bucks right now with more than a full day left on the bidding.

one seller has STARTED the bidding at 250 bucks.

black market prices are always high.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:
Also, it was pointed out to me last week in a discussion here on another thread, digital carts are running as high as $50- just wanted to clear that up! cause i thought the $15 bucks was very reasonable, till Holly pointed me in the right direction. Boo to PC for making the price so high, especially like stated above, it is costing them less, no booklet, no overlay, no physical cartridge, no shipping to stores, etc..
and yet we still are paying full price ---or more, as most of us get them on good sales.

This is my complaint as well. I started a thread on this very thing on another forum. In some cases the digital cartridges cost more than the physical one!

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to HisGEM

Personally I prefer holding the overlay and cart in my hands and using it. My computer is not loacted in the same room as my Cricuts so that's a big issue. I've gotten many of my carts for under $30 too.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I will second, third and fourth.....don't buy full price carts. I never buy a cart for more than $20. I have TONS!!! Sometimes it means I have to wait a little bit till the new ones come down in price, but not a big deal.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread

• Henri Jean Said:
If I can use digital carts with my Gypsy, that may be the way I would prefer to go. The boxes and carts and overlays are just taking up space.

I download books to my Kindle all the time for $12.00-$15.00. I've already downloaded one this week and I guess I'll download another if I think about it. So it doesn't bother me to pay $15.00 to have the cart just put on my Gypsy.

Problem is, I need to learn to use the Gypsy. Right now I'm pretty clueless.

But I think I would like being able to buy them in digital if they can be downloaded to the Gypsy.

Off topic, but do you know about the email that is sent frequently (every day since April 2011) listing free books for your Kindle? I have over 500 books on my K2 and have only paid for 7 of them totaling $36. Send me a pm for more info because I don't think I can link the website here.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrapnread

I download free ones too, but I have favorite authors and like to get there stuff right off the press.

I combine the free and the paids. Just finished a really good free one and I can't remember the name of it, then read Postcard Killers which I paid for. Finished that 2 days ago.

I would love to have your website info though because I can alwyas use more free ones. When we go on trips I like to really load it up! And for free that gives me more choices about what to read.

I buy The Janet Evanovich new in hardback becuase I like to have the entire series on my bookshelf and I buy the James Patterson Woman's Murder club becuase I have all the hardbooks and want to continue getting those. Everything else goes to my Kindle.

Will pm you now for your link. Thank you so much for the offer! I don't get any emails with free books, In the past I have just downloaded the free ones that have been recommended to me.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

The Expression II doesn't use the keypads, so maybe Provo Craft may be gearing up to go digital.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrap4brains

I think they are gearing up to go digital, which will pretty much kill getting any good deals on EBAY. They'll sell the full carts for 50 bucks and when they have a sale for 40, we'll all feel lucky to get it.

I guess I'll just stick with my gypsy and the carts I have now if that happens.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

WOOOO they updated Design Studio with last month's releases. I was getting worried they wouldn't bother since they want to push Craft Room instead. Well, I know what I need to do tonight.

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla

I'm happy to keep my Cricut Expression and Cuttlebug...and would LOVE to get a Silhouette Cameo to add to my collection of cutting machines. It just gives one more options.

Holly,,,hope they don't stop making "real" carts cause you're right, then we're stuck with their price gouging for sure! But I would guess that's the direction they're headed to preserve their price-point. We need to stock-up now on what's available before they become limited and none will be very affordable. Provo Craft's greediness sure makes it hard to "like" the company. Just offer the Carts at a decent $$$ to begin with.....geeze!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kygirlnfla

I agree.

It is hard to like the company when it feels like they are price gouging. To charge as much for digital as for cartridges, just not right.

They should be offered at a decent price and digi should be very cheap! No more than $10-$15.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to kygirlnfla

Two words Lori... DOOOO ITTTTT! Lol

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Not sure I'm willing to call it price gouging,,,,,an item is worth what someone will pay for it,,,,,,,and not a penny more,,,,or less.

If I was in business, and had tons of employees to pay, benefits, etc, I'd be selling my product for what I could get for it,,

but,,,,having said that, I won't pay 50 bucks for a cart. Tehy will lose me as a customer, and I suspect many more,,,,it's not worth 50 bucks to me.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• CommaHolly Said:
Not sure I'm willing to call it price gouging,,,,,

Only because it's not a short-term or localized situation. But it definitely meets the definitional requirement of being priced beyond what would be considered reasonable or fair, with the added bonus of being the only producer or provider of an item.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I just don't see how they can justify $50.00 for digi carts. That is high for the carts, and ridiculous for the digi.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Oh, I agree that it's too high, don't get me wrong

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The most I've ever paid for a cart was $36. I was new to Cricut and it was the night I bought my Baby Bug for $70 at Michael's, and picked up three cartridges while I was there, for $28 and $36. I was young and reckless (not really, I was 28 and had agonized about it all week). I think my husband has paid more (he tracked down Tags, Bags, Boxes, and More after it was retired), and my in-laws have probably paid more. I think my best was $10 for Jasmine at Menards after Christmas last year, and $15 for a couple seasonal/Solutions style carts.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to aquabunny

I may be wrong, but the digital "cartridges" they are selling for $15 at the Cricut Craft Room are nothing more than a limited number of images, similar to the amount found on a Lite or Seasonal cart. I believe they don't even include options such as "Shadow" etc. So that's another reason why it's not really worth the money. It needs to be verified, so correct me if I'm wrong.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Solitaire

They aren't even that extensive. There are maybe 10 images (and their layers) in the $15 digi-carts.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Solitaire

I won't be getting any digi carts. The price is WAY too high for something that's digital and like Solitaire said, the images are limited. I think that even $15 is too much for these and won't be purchasing them. I also will not be updating my Cricut so I can continue using SCAL. I use that way more than my carts anyway!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Seaexplore

And that's the other thing with the digital carts - I do not like paying for products that can only be used when I have an active internet connection. Insert here: my usual rant about having to be online to use a lot of my Xbox 360 content, which is kind of a downer considering Xbox Live goes down so much.

I'll be eager to hear what happens the first time Cricut Craft Room experiences a major service outage, but the market for the CCR rage is a lot tinier than the market for XBL rage, so I don't really expect Provo Craft to react much.

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to aquabunny

If they are looking to go digital they'll have to contend with a Napster situation...meaning online downloads between people that aren't paying for the files. If they can figure out how to make a file that can't be transferred to another computer, I'd be surprised. When people say you can find anything on the internet, they mean it. My brother has every Nintendo (the original game system) game ever created on his computer and it cost him nothing. So PC will have bootlegging to deal with if they choose to go digital with files like that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to katiemylady

You can bootleg anything. My husband's son literally has thousands of first-edition books free on his Kindle. Didn't pay a dime for any of them and they are all the expensive ones - no free ones. He offered to do it for my Kindle and I told him "No thank you!"

The digi carts are sounding less attractive all the time. If it was the same thing that was on the regular carts and could be downloaded into my Gypsy, I be doing a happy dance. But not $15.00 for limited images.

Rosetta Stone is so bootlegged for free I can't believe they even bother selling it.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to katiemylady

• katiemylady Said:
If they are looking to go digital they'll have to contend with a Napster situation...meaning online downloads between people that aren't paying for the files.

I think there are a couple things that will keep that from happening for quite some time - due to DRM restrictions (digital rights management) it's still, five and six years after the machines came out, virtually impossible to bootleg downloadable content for the Wii and Xbox 360 - and both of those have a much larger market than the Cricut ever will, and a fanbase much more actively involved in looking for ways to hack and bootleg material - the Cricut fanbase, as far as I am aware, does not have a deep and abiding interest in hacking and computer science as hobbies.

Let me put it to you another way - has anyone yet worked out a way to put a cartridge on a second Gypsy after it's already been put on another, with both still being able to use it? Calling Provo Craft and explaining that this literally is your second Gypsy results only in the rights to that cartridge being revoked for that first Gypsy, which isn't the same thing as both Gypsies being able to use the same cart.

Jennsdoodles
Tenant
Jennsdoodles

I feel the same way....Only I have the 6x12 Cricut so I'm really kicking myself! LOL

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Jennsdoodles

That's the same cricut I have and I love it!

Lisabarrie
Guru
Lisabarrie

I think the issue with digi carts are they are forcing you to buy images you don't want by grouping images together so you pay $35 for the two images you use. Compare that to .50 -$1 for individual images with the cameo. I may get a great deal on a cricut cart but who cares if after 5 years I've only used 2-3 designs. I love that you buy individual images with silhouette.

Lisabarrie
Guru
Lisabarrie

I sold my cricut exp and carts on eBay to pay for my Cameo and it was so worth it!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Lisabarrie

• Lisabarrie Said:
I sold my cricut exp and carts on eBay to pay for my Cameo and it was so worth it!

Welcome to the world of Silhouette you will love your machine. I recently discovered that you can take really delicate fonts and thicken them up by using offset to creat a mat and just thin it out alot. I did this for some really delicate script type fonts and it looks great. I have had the orginal for 4 years and this year Santa is bringing a Cameo. Don't forget to get your free shapes once a week (there is a new one everyday till Christmas)

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to CorrieW

Here is my cutter history: I got the silhouette when it first came out for my birthday just because of the "pay per image" option. Love it! I found a baby bug 1 year later at a yard sale for $80 and thought that was a deal. My sister in law and I "share" cartridges and keep a running list of who has what so we don't have duplicates, yet. Last year I got the expression for Christmas and love it! I have since sold the baby bug (got $40 for it without a cartridge) I am keeping the silhouette just because they offer a free design every week and you have access to alot of "Licensed Images" (Looney Tunes, Precious Moments, etc.) without paying a fortune for a cartridge of images you may not use. I have found like many have mentioned previously I use them both.

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to lifethroughalens

A few years down the road when I'm (hopefully) working in my professional field I can make these bigger purchases more than once a year lol. But I got SCAL2 to work my new pink Expression so I'm pretty happy with being able to cut any shape I can find or make myself (I happen to have the software that you need to make SVG files).

But I'm keeping my eye on that Cameo...looks like it could be in my future...

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-25-11 09:20 PM

• Seaexplore Said:
I won't be getting any digi carts. The price is WAY too high for something that's digital and like Solitaire said, the images are limited. I think that even $15 is too much for these and won't be purchasing them. I also will not be updating my Cricut so I can continue using SCAL. I use that way more than my carts anyway!

Just found this thread, I'm out of the Cricut loop and hadn't heard anything about digital carts, so I'm glad I did. I also have not/will not update my Cricut and will continue using Make The Cut! I have many, many, many carts, but find I use MTC much more, regardless

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics