Username Post: spellbinders        (Topic#1569265)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

What are spellbinders? I hae looked it up but im still kinda lost! can someone explain it to me?

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to ellybug312

If you go to Bekka Feekens blog you will see some great examples using them

www.amazingpapergrace.com

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I'll tell you what they are! They're evil, addictive dies that come in (usually) sets of 6 nesting pieces. Like, one set will cut a range of shapes from little to larger- and there's different shape sets you can get- the set that I got this week was 'Labels 8.'. They're what started me on my spellbinder addiction of 2012. I got a set that cuts gear/sprocket shapes yesterday.

Basically, they're little flat pieces of metal with a cutting edge that barely sticks up. You put a piece of paper over them and run it thru a die cutter like a BigKick or whatever ya got. And surprise! It's cut in that shape. Go buy some!

K

Look at them, up there in the superstore.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to CorrieW

Thanks for posting the link to that blog! I'm checking it out now and so cool- Just when you think it's obvious what all they can do, you see something like that!

-k

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks Kory for explaining that and yess, ive read on here how addicting they can be! But what if all ya got is a cricut they wont work then...is it worth going and buying a machine that spellbinders will work with?! and the link to that blog has so really good stuff on it!

leslief
Idol
leslief

They cut shapes similar to the Cricut, but they can also be embossed which adds a GREAT detail!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to leslief

Kory - I just bought labels 8 yesterday! My first set of many on my list.

I need to get plate C for my Cuttlebug though before I get to play.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• designguyKORY Said:
Thanks for posting the link to that blog! I'm checking it out now and so cool- Just when you think it's obvious what all they can do, you see something like that!

-k

Becca is the reason I got started on them, I have been collecting for 4 years and they used to be very hard to find, now not so much. I still have to pay for shipping to Canada but they are worth it.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I have a Cricut, too. I actually have two, cuz I didn't get rid of my original when I got the Expression 2!

But I have my BigKick, because I really wanted a few of the Tim Holtz dies- and then I just started buying more and more dies- finding random cool shapes on clearance at Hobby Lobby really led me down the path-

And if you're anything like me, you would really like some of the options available in dies- but if you're really not even all that much into diecutting- you also gotta remember all the embossing folders you're missing out on having! I really love all of the 'texture fades' that Tm Holtz designed- they're just too cool. And so versatile. There's so many things you can do with them, especially if you're into making cards. I love to make cards and minibooks.

Also, I get a little cricut lazy. And it's so fast to grab a die, throw it down with a piece of paper and crank it thru- and strangely fun and satisfying. I don't know how to explain it, but it is so fun for me to crank stuff thru my BigKick! And if you use a coupon to get it, it really isn't expensive at all. The money turns to trouble when you start thinking you need every embossing folder and die that you come across....

K

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

i allready think i need everything i see by tim holtz, and now im begining to think i need an embossing maching haha.. oh gosh! this can not be good. okay... so what do u mean by using the dies how do you use em? sorry to be so question-able

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

• designguyKORY Said:
I'll tell you what they are! They're evil, addictive dies that come in (usually) sets of 6 nesting pieces. Like, one set will cut a range of shapes from little to larger- and there's different shape sets you can get- the set that I got this week was 'Labels 8.'. They're what started me on my spellbinder addiction of 2012. I got a set that cuts gear/sprocket shapes yesterday.

Basically, they're little flat pieces of metal with a cutting edge that barely sticks up. You put a piece of paper over them and run it thru a die cutter like a BigKick or whatever ya got. And surprise! It's cut in that shape. Go buy some!

K

Look at them, up there in the superstore.

Don't forget to run them thru again to emboss them!!!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Youuse the dies to cut your paper into the shape that the dies cut, like, the die cuts the shape of a heart- you have to 'squish' the paper against the die so that it cuts the shape out. You do this with a machine- I have the BigKick, which I really endorse- I love it- think of it as 'The Squisher.'. You put the die onto a plate, put a piece of paper on top of the die, put another plate on top, and run it thru the squisher. It cuts the shape and you go all, 'wowww, look what I did!'. LoL

Do a search on youtube, and I think if you look on Tm Holtz's channel, he shows his dies and the shapes they cut- and lots of people have videos using the BigKick.

The night before I got my BigKick, I watched youtube videos for hours and worked myself into a frenzy to go out and buy one.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• designguyKORY Said:
And it's so fast to grab a die, throw it down with a piece of paper and crank it thru- and strangely fun and satisfying. I don't know how to explain it, but it is so fun for me to crank stuff thru my BigKick!

That "snap, crackle, & pop" gets me every time.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to kelseymel

Where is the "like" for the "snap, crackle and pop"???

Expert
In response to kelseymel

I think I like my spellbinders machine better than my cricut. Especially when I have a pic I want to mat...I have the grand spellbinders dies..and it's so easy to just grab a die and go. I don't have too many yet...those grand ones are pretty expensive...but the ones I have, I find I use again and again. With the cricut...I have to do the trial and error thing to get the size right.
I do like my cricut too..for letters and shapes.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-16-12 01:26 PM

LOL! I love your description Kory. xo

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-16-12 01:28 PM
In response to Spellbinders

In fact... I love this whole thread. We also have a Spellbinders Blog. It has tutorials, a design gallery, how-to videos, and randomness posted by yours truly. Currently... we're in the midst of our Blog Frenzy new product reveal. Check it out! http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/Community.aspx

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

I can't wait to visit your blog. I just got my first set and I love them beyond belief!

-k

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I love love LOVE spellbinders,,,,,,I haven't bought a cricut cartridge in months,,,,,

every time I turn around, there's another spellbinders I want.

and I USE all of them,,,,,,

IMHO, they are a deal for what you get,,,,you could spend 15 bucks on one punch,,,,,,or using a coupon or a sale, get five to seven dies that cut 5-7 sizes AND emboss the edges,,,,,

and shapeabilities are amazing,,,,,,,

I am also falling in love with edgeabilities.

seriously,,,,,they should give me a button and call me their design team,,,,,I RARELY make a card without them. My blog is their free advertising LOL. Actually, I made ONE card without them yesterday,,,,,,the first, I believe, since I started buying them. It's not likely to happen again, and it probably wouldn't have happened yesterday if I'd had the GRAND nesties (My image was too big to cut out with regular nesties),,,,,,,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm must.buy.grand.nesties.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to CommaHolly

I'm in love, too, Holly! And it's thanks to you and others on her who introduced me to them- for some reason, seeing them at the store, I just wasn't interested. But then I keep seeing posts about them, see what they can do- all that- and then, coupled with my love for 'labels' of any kind- I decided to give it a try...

Now I just want them ALL. lol

Y'day, at the outlet, I saw a ton of Nesties- I run up to them- they're ALL Labels#8! The first set I bought! Whyyyyyyyy?!?! lol For a second, there, I thought I was going to go home with fifty new sets.

AmyK75
AmyK75 
Veteran
AmyK75

Great Thread!!!

I do some nesting with my cricut, but that because I still have it set up to use scal.

I acutally sold my cuttlebug to buy my circut... I'm glad I don't have the money to spend right now LOL!!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to AmyK75

They are really so much more versatile than I thought they would be.

I can't remember the last anything I did without them.

Some of them make great masks, too.

The flower dies are genius. Rose Creations and Spiral Blossoms should be on everyone's "must have" list. You'll never buy another flower again.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

I completely agree about the flower dies!!!!!!!! I don't think I've bought a flower since! so that's a savings of money!

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear

Nesties are the work of the devil I tell you!!

They are like potato chips - can't stop at just one. I just bought my 12th set last week. Holly here introduced many of us to the power of Nesties with the beautiful cards she creates using them.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to MrsSugarBear

lol, I love it! "The power of Nesties."

Next time I use one, I'm going to hold it in the air, and be all, "BY THE POWER OF NESTIES!" (Like in the old He-Man cartoons! lol)

-k

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Governor
KVRLVN

I'm so glad this thread was started. I have been debating between the Spellbinders and the Cameo and I think I finally made up my mind and will try to get the Grand Calibur and the Spellbinder dies. I love how they emboss and don't connect to a computer.

It will probably cost me about $200 to get started. Where can I find the dies less expensive. The $15 - $20 per each set is a killer.

My M's does not sell them and I don't have a J's.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to KVRLVN

wow! im surprised at all the comments and love for spellbinders nestablies.. I really want some now!! Im scared to get addicted ..lol i know how i am ill go out and buy and buy and buy until i have no money..then ill keep buying them until im broke and ill stay broke ..its a never ending cycle..I am about to go to youtube..and look and spend the hours on youtube learning about them..hopefully i will be getting one soon! after all it seems everyone loves nestablies..and ive seen them in every scrapbooking magainze, and some amazing, beautiful layouts and cards on here using them!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Atta girl!

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee

• Spellbinders Said:
In fact... I love this whole thread. We also have a Spellbinders Blog. It has tutorials, a design gallery, how-to videos, and randomness posted by yours truly. Currently... we're in the midst of our Blog Frenzy new product reveal. Check it out! http://www.spellbinderspaperarts.com/Community.aspx

I already added to my favorites- thanks!

Linda Haulsee
Veteran
Linda Haulsee
In response to Linda Haulsee

Everyone raved here about the Big Kick and now a lover. I love cricut E and my gypsy but I do love the BK with the spellbinders and the TH dies- bought one during the holidays just for those reasons alone!

steffmunnings
New Kid On the Block
steffmunnings

OMG that is so funny "Power of nesties" lol... that is so true!!! I just purchase for the first time like 4 of them about a month ago and LOVED it! So i went back and purchased 10 more LOL... Budgeting to purchase more next month or so. These suckers are very addicting! "Power of Nesties" lol.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81

I have a Cuttlebug and Cricut Expression/Gypsy. I definitely need/use both!

I love Spellbinders. I use them as much as possible. Can't beat that beautiful embossed edge!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I have way to many spellbinders and also Tim holtz dies, ad to the fact that I bought a grand calibur so I could use the grand dies.

I now have a grand calibur, big shot, and an expression I really nead to stop!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Sneezy1956

Oh and by the way if you make cards you have to have spellbinders

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to KVRLVN

• KVRLVN Said:
I'm so glad this thread was started. I have been debating between the Spellbinders and the Cameo and I think I finally made up my mind and will try to get the Grand Calibur and the Spellbinder dies. I love how they emboss and don't connect to a computer.

It will probably cost me about $200 to get started. Where can I find the dies less expensive. The $15 - $20 per each set is a killer.

My M's does not sell them and I don't have a J's.

they actually tend to run 20-25 dollars each set,,,,I wait for sales at M's or J's or shop ebay,,,,or use a coupon to save on them.

I usually spend 12-15 dollars each set, but have gotten them as cheaply as 4 bucks on EBAY (very very RARE) brand new.

consider the cost of 4-7 punches to cut circles though,,,,,,

you'd spend far more than 15-20 dollars for six or 7 circles.

Expert

J's online runs around 14.99 for the regular size...30 for the grands.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to deedee49

ACM had them on sale last week for $14.99

Holly (the grand master of enablers) has turned me on to the power of the nestie as well ...I'm up to ten sets and counting ... they make great journaling blocks

can't find the rose creations in any of the big box stores though ... can you only get this one online?

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to madmatter

Mad, I got both the rose and carnation ones at J's.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to ChansGram

my J's didn't have either one and told me they couldn't help me find it at another store because the cards on the floor (which were out even though they didn't have any in stock) didn't have bar codes on them ... NOT ok

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to madmatter

So they couldn't just call using the name of the product?
Spellbinders- Donna Salazar- rose creation. Doesn't seem too difficult?? Why don't they like to help us crazed scrapbookers?! Don't they know the anguish we go through when we "need" one of these products?!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ChansGram

I got mine on EBAY after trying literally everywhere, Mad.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

they said I could call other stores if I wanted ... isn't that helpful?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

I got mine at J's, Mad. One of the only ones I wanted that they actually had in stock.

Veteran
In response to ChansGram

M's have them here buy one get one 50% off right now.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to SHARON ELISE

C'mon! Stop talking about Spellbinders for a few so I can stop wanting to go out and buy more of them!!!

I confess- I did go to M's on my lunch hour yesterday, looking for a set. They didn't have any that I was really looking for- which was like a letdown! What's up with their stock?! Do they not keep up with what they need? Why are Spellbinders always in a sparse pile in the bottom of the Cricut Cage?! WHY DONT THEY CARE AS MUCH AS I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
anyways.
I've got a hot date tonight. I'm either going to the movies or downtown to see the tour of THE ADDAMS FAMILY musical. I'm pushing for the movies. Not cuz it's cheaper but because it's by the Hobby Lobby. hahaha.

k

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06

If this is a first date you may want to save HL for another time, lol. Might not want to show the crazy crafter side of you on a first date!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to aschlegel06

Addams Family is a very fun show ... we saw it on Broadway last year ... I'm sure you'll love it

and ACM, unlike J's and M's, does NOT keep Nesties in the cage ... they are on the floor ... SO much easier

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-19-12 10:03 AM
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
They are really so much more versatile than I thought they would be.

I can't remember the last anything I did without them.

Some of them make great masks, too.

The flower dies are genius. Rose Creations and Spiral Blossoms should be on everyone's "must have" list. You'll never buy another flower again.

I guess it's my own fault for looking. I am on another spending freeze. Ugh! Now I'm going to have to ask my husband for money.

Barbara

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-19-12 10:06 AM

• designguyKORY Said:
Not cuz it's cheaper but because it's by the Hobby Lobby. hahaha.

k

OMG! Is it a first date? If so, it could be a good ice breaker. Everyone loves crafty people.

Barbara

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-19-12 10:08 AM
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I got mine at J's, Mad. One of the only ones I wanted that they actually had in stock.

OHHHHH! Melissa, don't make me go to J's. Is all paper crafting 30% off this week there?

Barbara

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lunie

You gotta go to J's, Lunie! I got a ton of nice core'dinations paper on Sunday, it was 6 for .96 cents! Great colors and texture- I can't wait to emboss it and play with it. I'm taking tomorrow off of work- I swear, I'm gonna get some pictures printed out at Walgreens and work on some pages!

k

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-19-12 01:10 PM

• designguyKORY Said:
You gotta go to J's, Lunie! I got a ton of nice core'dinations paper on Sunday, it was 6 for .96 cents! Great colors and texture- I can't wait to emboss it and play with it. I'm taking tomorrow off of work- I swear, I'm gonna get some pictures printed out at Walgreens and work on some pages!

k

Ok! I'm going. I'll let you know what I find. I do have something to return to them so that makes it a good idea.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-19-12 01:28 PM
In response to Lunie

Ok, now I need a few sets of spellbinders. First, I need the big kick/shot. I'm on a spending freeze (a real one, not like Lunie) until I save money to buy a machine. I decided not to buy all of the nonsense stuff I always pick up and put that money on the side until I have the money for the big kick. I actually walked out of Michaels with my 40% off coupon. I was so proud of myself. I might have actually told myself that out loud as I walked out.

Lunie, wait until tomorrow to go to Js. Don't go down there at night. And tomorrow you can go down Forest to the other Ms:)

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to PDRNC

YEAHHH! Get that BigKick!!!! You'll never look back!

Whoooooooooo Lunie! Go get 'em!

(Lunie is my binge shopping soulmate.)

-k

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-19-12 02:40 PM

Kory, so sad that I already bought a die (TH Typeset) because I snagged it for $5. I've been wanting the BK for a llooonnnnggg time. Now that there are so many more enablers out there, it's just a matter of time before the Kool-aid is drunk.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to PDRNC

I went to J's today and they had 4 sets of Value Pack spellbinders (the one that is normally $39.99) for $14.95! Unfortunately, the only one I wanted they didn't actually have- just the card for it on the rack. It was such a good deal, I almost bought some I didn't really even want!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to crazycricut

• crazycricut Said:
I went to J's today and they had 4 sets of Value Pack spellbinders (the one that is normally $39.99) for $14.95! Unfortunately, the only one I wanted they didn't actually have- just the card for it on the rack. It was such a good deal, I almost bought some I didn't really even want!

this drives me BONKERS!!!!!

Expert
In response to madmatter

I don't get it..the big box stores should carry real stock. This has happened to me too with spellbinders and cricut cartridges. They have the card up..but no stock...drives me nuts. Finally think I have what I need..and I will agonize over which I really think I want...then go to the cashier only to find out there are none to be had!!

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to deedee49

OH NO! I just got an email coupon for J's for 20% off even clearance! I may just have to go back tomorrow! At that price, I really should get a set-I just wish they had the one I wanted. I don't own any-yet but they may change tomorrow!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to crazycricut

They won't take your coupon on Spellbinders at J's ... the sale is for buy one get one half price, and if you look at the coupon it excludes BOGO items (just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't waste your time ... as I did 2 weeks ago with the same coupon)

WAIT!!! this is wrong ... this is what happened at MICHAEL's NOT J's (sorry I got them confused). I got the Joann's coupon too and it doesn't seem to exclude anything (are the Spellbinders on sale there?)

Edited by madmatter on 01-20-12 04:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
  • crazycricut Said:

Me too! I get all excited because I find the card for one I want (I've wanted Labels 4 since the beginning when I first saw Holly use it on a card) then go to the register and NOTHING!

I finally found Labels 4 while on vacation in Texas last week. Only had to travel 1000 miles to get it! My aunt took me to two Hobby Lobby's while I was there. Even scored Labels 3 on clearance for $9!

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-20-12 05:08 AM
In response to PDRNC

• PDRNC Said:
Ok, now I need a few sets of spellbinders. First, I need the big kick/shot. I'm on a spending freeze (a real one, not like Lunie)

WHAT???? Don't you have faith that I can stay on the wagon?

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-20-12 05:24 AM
In response to Lunie

• Lunie2nz Said:
  • PDRNC Said:
Ok, now I need a few sets of spellbinders. First, I need the big kick/shot. I'm on a spending freeze (a real one, not like Lunie)

WHAT???? Don't you have faith that I can stay on the wagon?

LOL. Sorry, Lunie. I'll try to have more faith in you.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lunie

Cmon, Lunie, don't let me down! It's the weekend. You know you wanna buy somethin. Maybe just one little thing...

Good morning, everyone. I have the day off. It's PAYDAY-FRIDAY!

K

Expert

I have the day off too Kory...Been thinking about hitting J's with my 20 percent off everything coupon. Now how many spellbinders should I get???????

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to deedee49

• deedee49 Said:
I have the day off too Kory...Been thinking about hitting J's with my 20 percent off everything coupon. Now how many spellbinders should I get???????

How many can you carry?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GemGirl

I say for that price, pick them up even if you don't really WANT them,,,,,,

you'll most likely USE them. I got one like that once, and now it's one of my favs.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• MrsSugarBear Said:
  • madmatter Said:
  • crazycricut Said:

Me too! I get all excited because I find the card for one I want (I've wanted Labels 4 since the beginning when I first saw Holly use it on a card) then go to the register and NOTHING!

I finally found Labels 4 while on vacation in Texas last week. Only had to travel 1000 miles to get it! My aunt took me to two Hobby Lobby's while I was there. Even scored Labels 3 on clearance for $9!

why is it always HOLLY'S fault??????? huh huh huh???

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

Just got back from J's-
And yes, I ended up with some spellbinders!
2 of the ones I was looking for, spiral blossom 1 and the foliage one, but then I was digging through the bottom of the cage and found the snowflake one I liked, so I asked the guard ( ok, the clerk) to check the price at it was only $5.99 !!
and also picked up fanciful holiday ( I think it was called ) for $5.99, she thought because they were considered Christmas stock, that's why they were marked so low.
But my store didn't have the BOGO for half price deal.?? Or was that's M's that was mentioned?

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to ChansGram

I got the Labels 4 in Grand size...I think they're much more useful than the regular set!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to tinacome

M's had the BOGO last week and I think they have it this week too, but I am boycotting M's because they were a bunch of idiots when I went there (I wanted to say something stronger, but I don't want to get thwapped with Megan's mop)

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to madmatter

enable me : J's online has nesties for $14.99 with free shipping

right now my cart has: rose creations, carnation creations, gears, and blossoms 3

are these worth it? are there any others that are "must haves" that I should add before I check out?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to madmatter

any labels?

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Seaexplore

I have labels 1 ... what do I need? (want)

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

Do you have the postage stamp one, Mad? I love that one.

And Fleur De Lis Motifs.

Oh, and Fleur De Lis Squares.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to kelseymel

I gotta have a postage stamp one!!!!

Dangit!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

J's doesn't have the postage stamp one ...

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-22-12 11:45 AM
In response to kelseymel

Another vote for the postage stamp! Basic label shapes that I use a lot are circles, 4, and 1, but they're all good depending on your style.

And of course I have quite a few more that I absolutely love, if you want any more enabling

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics