Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: 4th Annual Scraproom Makeover Challenge! Feb (organizing!)        (Topic#1569295)
Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

LETS GET ORGANIZED!

We will begin Feb. 1st 2012 it will end when you have a more beautiful and functional space (we will try to finish in the month of Feb). It is just for fun and to make scrapping easier.

Who would like to join me in this project? The lvl of commitment depends on how much scrap stuff you have and how unorganized it is. Here is what I will put forth to help you along the way.

1) One weekly organizational Topic
2) One weekly creative project (mostly decor or alteration and others)It might be mixed in with the organizational ones.
3) Mini Organization Challenges - Three Weekday and one Weekend Challenge
4) Fun and inspiration with everything from room colors and decor to organization and storage options ON A BUDGET!!!
5) Encouragement to finally get things organized to make it easier to scrap!

To sign up you will need to do/answer the fallowing:

1) Name/user name
2) Type of scraping area (closet, corner, room etc.)
3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized.
4) The link to your new album to keep your pics in or post in the one from last year... if you are returning, your choice. Please create a new album in your gallery to upload all of the before and after pics, ingenious ideas and problem area pic.

So come and join me in cleaning up our areas and making the scraproom a place that will inspire creativity and allow us to crop till we drop.

Are you excited??? I am! Just to keep you excited, there will be a few optional PreChallenge Challenges! Keep an eye out for the Bold red posts.

Here is my scraproom before a couple of years ago... http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?fid/18/ti...

This is my Before and after for last year... just for you to see an example. This was when I was in my old house and just had a corner to dedicate to my scrap area.

BEFORE (my current room 2011):

Do I dare share? By Hanging By A Moment

AFTER (my current room 2011):
Scraproom Final 2011 left side of room By Hanging By A Moment

Scraproom Finished 2011 view of right side By Hanging By A Moment

Finished room - 2011 Display wall By Hanging By A Moment

BEFORE (my old corner 2009):

My Scrap Corner BEFORE 09' By Hanging By A Moment

AFTER (my old corner 2009):

The Entire Area - The end is near By Hanging By A Moment

LINKING LAYOUTS TO THE THREAD:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Go to the Share section on the left-hand side and click on "Share Anywhere".
3. Click on "IMG code" button.
4. Copy and paste the code and paste it into this forum thread.

ALLOWING PUBLIC EMBEDDING:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Click on "Edit Image" tab at the top on the left side of the layout.
3. Scroll down to the bottom left side.
4. Check the box that says, "Allow Public Embedding".

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 02-03-12 12:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to Hanging By a Moment

Challenge Log:

CHALLENGE WEEK #3: EMBELLISHMENTS
• Friday – 18 - Challenge #9 - Photo Fridays & Fun (Altered Item) Creative Block Game (Page 14)
• Monday - Challenge #10 - Flowers (Page 15)

CHALLENGE WEEK #2: THE PAPERS
• Friday - Challenge #5 - Photo Fridays & Fun (Page 12)
• Weekend - Challenge #6 - Chipboard (Page 12)
• Wednesday - Challenge #7 - Alphas (Page 13)
• Weekend Challenge #8- Cardstock and Pattern Paper, Kits, Scrap paper, die cuts (Page 14)

CHALLENGE WEEK #1: WITHIN ARMS REACH
• Wed - Challenge #1 - Adhesives - ( Page 7 )
• Friday – Challenge #2 - Photo Fridays & Fun (this will be every week so we don't get so overwhelmed with this project. For those of you who are done, well there will be something fun to challenge your creativity) (Page 9)
• Monday - Challenge #3 - Color Altering Items (Page 10)
• Wendsday #4- Tools and Machines (Page 11)

PAST PRE-CHALLENGES:
(#1) - Your inspiration, style and colors ( Page 2)
(#2) - PHOTOS - I know... picking an organizational style... ( Page 2)
(#3) - Create an organizational binder/idea board for pics and notes. ( Page 4 )
(#4) - Muster that Clutter! Divide and Conquer! ( Page 4 )

TIPS OF THE DAY (TOD)
(#1) - What do you need on your desk or within arms reach? Making the list... ( Page 8 )

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 02-21-12 11:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Participants:

1) Amanda/Scrappin Kitty
2) 11x11 room
3)The deep built in work shelves are the hardest for me to work with.
4. http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...
scraproom makeover 2012-before By Scrappin Kitty

1) Grace/ Hanging by a Moment
2) Room
3) I love to organize... it's being devoted to put things away.
4) http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...
i am terrible at staying organized By Hanging By A Moment

1) Becky/AuntJo
2) 11x14 room...but only 8x8 1/2 feet are dedicated to my space.
3) biggest problem area....PHOTOS!
4)Scrapbook Room Gallery

1)Valerie(Val)/izzyw0611
2)Room (I'll try and get dimensions 2morrow)
3)Everywhere! My family tends to put things that they don't know what to do with in my scraproom when cleaning. Also, after I buy new scrappy things I tend to toss the bag in my room quickly (so my dh doesn't see I went shopping again! ), and after I open and admire the items I receive from swaps I usually leave them lying on my desk. I'm so busy with work and family I don't have time or energy to organize, and then it gets so piled up that when I do have time I get so overwhelmed I don't know where to start, so I don't! HELP!
4) My Scraproom

Laurie/LJCarta
The Breakfast Nook
My biggest problem is that I have stuff I don't use and too much stuff in general.
I will post pictures tomorrow.

1) Melissa/melissa_w
2) Shared space - dining room/scrap area
3) Keeping my tabletop clear.

1) Kelly/KellyCali
2) Corner room
3) Biggest problem area - Unfinished projects/completed layouts/lack of proper storage

1. Anna/provinca
2. I scrap in my unfinished basement. The "room" is set up like a living room (tv, etc.) and my "stuff" is along one wall.
3. I LOVE to organize and find myself doing it over and over again, but somethings just never seem to work just right for too long -- that's where I am now.
4. I'll post pictures as soon as we get a sunny day! The lighting is awful in my space, and without sun coming through the tiny window, the picture will be awful!

1) Annie/MrsAnnieS
2) Room
3) My biggest problem area is just keeping piles under control in general.
4) 2012 Scraproom makeover-before By MrsAnnieS

1)Bamabug(Janet)
2)Small Bedroom
3)Clutter - trying to hold to everything that I might need and unable to find what I need.
4)Will post pics this weekend.

1) My Name is Nati
2) It started off as a converted closet.... and slowly has taken over the entire room. lol
3) The entire area is HARD to keep organized!
4) Will Post pics soon.

1) Darla...Livin/laughinscrapper
2) Spare room (11'3" X 11'2") with closet (6'7" X 2'3".
3) It's full...daughter leaving in June, should I move something into her old room to make more room in scraproom. I tend toward cluttering up surfaces and then waste time with organizing it away except it doesn't last. Vicious cycle!! I end up in the living area to scrap instead of my creative room. Help me get off, or on, the wagon, please!
4)I'll link to my gallery in a moment! (I hope!!?)
Not Very Neat By Livin/laughinscrapper

1. Nicole / Nautolan
2. corner of livingroom
3. the fact that it is in the corner of the livingroom... everything else in the house ends up in my corner! I have 5 small children and a dh in a 3 bedroom apartment... and i work from home selling candles... so the kids stuff ends up on my table, dh's shoes end up under my table and my PartyLite stuff is everywhere. Plus I have a serious lack of PROPER storage.

1. Sally/Lookin4newideas
2. The walk-through room I call my office
3. Keeping organized, especially if I'm working on several projects at a time.
4.http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/photo/3 502635.html

1) Name/user name -- My name is Eileen and I go by NCYANKEE
2) Type of scraping area (closet, corner, room etc.) -- I'm really lucky. I have the bonus room over our garage. It's a large space. Was a play room - but since no one was using it I threw the children out!
3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized. --- too much stuff and no home for it.
4) The link to your new album to keep your pics in or post in the one from last year... if you are returning, your choice. Please create a new album in your gallery to upload all of the before and after pics, ingenious ideas and problem area pic.
http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

1) Name: Megan/user name: Megan Ann
2) Type of scraping area: scrap room (second bedroom in my apt.) I don't know the measurements & there is too much stuff in my room to be able to measure the space!
3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized: EVERYTHING!!! except about a 20"x20" space on my scrap table where I work that is usually cleared off and I am organized around it.
4) Scraproom Makeover Album

1.) Monique (RubyMillerand on SB)
2.) Currently have a corner space and small closet
3.) I'm having a really big problem w/ organizing, most of my stuff is in storage and I'd like to learn to organize what I already have here so when I move the rest down again, I'll be able to put it way w/ no problems.
4.) pics will be posted soon.

1. rhonda
2. my bedroom
3. everything. all of the plastic containers are filled with things. nothing is organized . it is everywhere.

My name is Paula/Faithscrapper
I have a room, will find out the dimensions
My biggest obstacles are: my ds is sleeping in there on the fouton and my desk gets piled up.
Will post pics this week!

1) Name/user name - Jenny/Justowen
2) Type of scraping area (closet, corner, room etc.) - I have a room, dd does have one corner for her own scrapping space. The room has a sliding door to the patio on one wall, french doors on another wall, and a doorway on a third wall, so only one full wall.
3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized. - Hmmmm...the entire room? I really need to get a handle on storing completed pages and need to get much better about putting away new products as I buy them. I think new stuff into the room is my hardest thing to handle...I just don't deal with them and they end up piled around the room. I need to better organize my punch/cricut/slice space and I need to make a real space for my mists. I also have never made the curtain table for the front of my "desk" and the curtains for the sliding doors..even though I have the fabric for it and I never finished decorating the room.
Hopefully this is the link to my album for this challenge: http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...
Here is my "before" pic:
The very messy scraproom January 29, 2012 By Justowen

1) Crystal/Zippadedoodas
2) closet, but now part of room enclosed by shelving
3) school stuff and photos

I'm KDinsmore (Katie)
I have my own room (hubby doesn't have one for his hobby!)
My goodies are outgrowing their space, projects take over places, I want to find more ways to be innovative with my space, and I don't always pick up after myself!
I have a gallery of photos from last year, it's "Scraproom", or http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie... [color]

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 02-03-12 12:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

test..

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-27-12 09:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty

I'm in! Just got done re-painting my new studio yesterday, now it needs organized.

1) Amanda/Scrappin Kitty
2) 11x11 room
3)The deep built in work shelves are the hardest for me to work with.
4. http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie... (most of the pics already in there are from my old house, but added the new pics today with scraproom makeover 2012 as the title)

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Scrappin Kitty

Count me in again! Most areas are still organized thanks to doing this 2 years in a row. But always room for improvement.

1) Becky/AuntJo
2) 11x14 room...but only 8x8 1/2 feet are dedicated to my space.
3) biggest problem area....PHOTOS!
4)Scrapbook Room Gallery
thanks for always doing this for us! Keeps us organized and gives us great ideas!

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to AuntJo

Oh wow, I so totally need this challenge!! My poor room is so cluttered I can't even scrap in it right now! Sign me up!

1)Valerie(Val)/izzyw0611
2)Room (I'll try and get dimensions 2morrow)
3)Everywhere! My family tends to put things that they don't know what to do with in my scraproom when cleaning. Also, after I buy new scrappy things I tend to toss the bag in my room quickly (so my dh doesn't see I went shopping again! ), and after I open and admire the items I receive from swaps I usually leave them lying on my desk. I'm so busy with work and family I don't have time or energy to organize, and then it gets so piled up that when I do have time I get so overwhelmed I don't know where to start, so I don't! HELP!
4) My Scraproom

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to izzyw0611

Welcome AuntJo and Val!

LJ Carta
New Kid On the Block
LJ Carta

Ok I need this too because well I am tripping over embellishments and stepping on card stock.

Laurie/LJCarta
The Breakfast Nook
My biggest problem is that I have stuff I don't use and too much stuff in general.
Here are the pictures, on my just as messy blog!
http://lauriescraftingblo g.blogspot.com/2012/01/scrap-r...

Looking forward to this.

Laurie

Edited by LJ Carta on 01-21-12 12:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to LJ Carta

Woo Hoo Laurie!

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

I'm in! I am still pretty organized from last year, but there are always tweaks!

1) Melissa/melissa_w
2) Shared space - dining room/scrap area
3) Keeping my tabletop clear.

I'm pretty sure that this year I want to swap out at least one of my bookshelves for more cubes.

Edited by MelissaW on 01-17-12 04:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to MeliMedina

Yeah! Welcome back Melissa!

provinca
Governor
provinca

I think I need to give this a try!

1. Anna/provinca
2. I scrap in my unfinished basement. The "room" is set up like a living room (tv, etc.) and my "stuff" is along one wall.
3. I LOVE to organize and find myself doing it over and over again, but somethings just never seem to work just right for too long -- that's where I am now.
4. I'll post pictures as soon as we get a sunny day! The lighting is awful in my space, and without sun coming through the tiny window, the picture will be awful!

Here's the album of my "space":

Edited by provinca on 01-21-12 10:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to provinca

I'm in again! This was such a huge help last year!

1) Annie/MrsAnnieS
2) Room
3) My biggest problem area is just keeping piles under control in general.

Edited by MrsAnnieS on 01-17-12 02:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to MrsAnnieS

1) Kelly/KellyCali
2) Corner room
3) Biggest problem area - Unfinished projects/completed layouts/lack of proper storage

(Former Room...I've since moved to another space!)

{Scraproom 2011} By KellyCali

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to KellyCali

Annie and Kelly welcome back.

Anna - we are glad to have you! When I post a challenge I try to offer multiple ideas of how to organize one thing. This allows you to pick what you think will work best for you. Hope you can pin that down.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Ok here is one of my before shots, this of my main scrapping area, for other room shots see my album!

2012 Scraproom makeover-before By MrsAnnieS

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to MrsAnnieS

Hey Annie...glad to see you here!

didn't get pics but I got my desk and back counter cleared off! I have a lady coming over on Friday to talk to me about making a mini album for a wedding gift...so I thought I better make my room look presentable! LOL!

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to AuntJo

Here is my main work area. I have a ton more before pics, and some of the new paint in my scraproom album.

scraproom makeover 2012-before By Scrappin Kitty

Mrs. Tristan
Queen
Mrs. Tristan

Hello Everyone!

I would love to join in.. I was part of this the first year and I'm excited to be a part of it again.

I am at work right now... but i can post pictures this weekend when there is light!

1) My Name is Nati
2) It started off as a converted closet.... and slowly has taken over the entire room. lol
3) The entire area is HARD to keep organized!
4) Will Post pics soon.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Mrs. Tristan

Hi Nati! Good to see you back again!

BamaBug
Resident
BamaBug
In response to Mrs. Tristan

I would like to join!
I did the challenge last year and made a start!

1)Bamabug(Janet)
2)Small Bedroom
3)Clutter - trying to hold to everything that I might need and unable to find what I need.
4)Will post pics this weekend.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to BamaBug

Nati... so good to see you face again! I think of you often since you last name is my son's first and I have you sig quote up on my wall!

Janet - Welcome back! So glad you can join us again this year.

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap

I can use all the help I can get ...even if it is again and again!!

1) Darla...Livin/laughinscrapper
2) Spare room (11'3" X 11'2") with closet (6'7" X 2'3".
3) It's full...daughter leaving in June, should I move something into her old room to make more room in scraproom. I tend toward cluttering up surfaces and then waste time with organizing it away except it doesn't last. Vicious cycle!! I end up in the living area to scrap instead of my creative room. Help me get off, or on, the wagon, please!
4)I'll link to my gallery in a moment! (I hope!!?)
Not Very Neat By Livin/laughinscrapper

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Livlaughnscrap

Hi ladies! Welcome back! I'm wondering what kind of a dent I will make this year and if I will end up changing a bunch of stuff!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to AuntJo

Darla welcome... I love that bright cheery color in your space.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

ATTN: Ok... so I am going to try to do my best these first few days of this challenge... but I am going to be out of town at... CHA!!!!! I am so excited! I get back late on the first... So I am going to post the pre-challenges encase you want to get started on something. I am supper busy getting ready for my last minute displays and projects so I am going to be copying and pasting these pre-challenges and probably the first one too. Then I am jumping in head first on Feb. Second!

I am going to get to know you all a little bit better, figure out what your wants and your needs are for the space. Before we start diving into our scrapbooking mess I would like you to take some time thinking of how you want your scraparea to look and feel.

Take a moment and look through the scraprooms pics on this site or google Scraproom images. See if there is something that resembles your area, ie. corner, desk, room... etc. Also look at the decor and colors. Can you find photos with the color/decor style and space challenges? Save these photos to your computer for your inspiration and we might be doing something with them later.

Pre-Challenge Challenge #1: This week I challenge you to find pictures that work for each of the fallowing.

1) Colors - What colors would you like to incorporate into your space. Even if you cant paint this is important for alteration projects, if you want to paint... now is the time to do so before we start the organization process Feb 1st.

2) Decor Style - What type of decor style (vintage, retro, girlie, contemporary) will you be looking to achieve. WE all create beautiful things when we scrapbook why not make it a beautiful space that will inspire us?

3) Space size
- Find a photo that shows the value of the space you have... for example if you are working with a closet... find a photo that has great organizational solutions for that type of space.

4)**** DON'T FORGET **** Before you get to excited to start this cleaning project... take some good/honest before pictures and post them in your album on here so we can see them compared to the afters!

Any questions? I would suggest if you do save them and share the photos you give the rightful owner props in your photo title or description with the link to the original site.

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-20-12 12:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

I know most of us have this problem so I am putting this out there now. And because some of you have the first challenge already done from previous years. If you don't do anything until our first real photo challenge that's ok too... this is just an option.

Pre-Challenge #2 - Lets get a jump start on this one... DON'T freak out on me yet...we will be working on this a bit each week.

PHOTOS - I know... well I am going to tell you this, right now I just want you to make a plan how YOU want organize these. Think of one of these organizational styles... keep in mind how you scrapbook... chronologically or not.

Sort them by person, event, by how you want to organize your albums, by color or dates. Maybe a combination of the them... really you just have to decide how to do it so you can access them quickly. Remember, the goal is to organize them so it saves you time in the end. Write it down in a binder, in paint on your wall or get a tattoo if you have to, to remember! Just figure it out and and start looking for the best storage systems and boxes to work with your system.

Really ambitious this weekend? Get that great jump start on those Digi photos. Organize and Backup all of them!

We WILL be going over this more about what to store them in, where to store them and why, later after the challenge begins... right now lets just make a plan.

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-20-12 12:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty

Love the pre-challenges! Have fun at CHA! Take pics to share

Crafty Nautolan
Pro
Crafty Nautolan

I would love to join!

1. Nicole / Nautolan
2. corner of livingroom
3. the fact that it is in the corner of the livingroom... everything else in the house ends up in my corner! I have 5 small children and a dh in a 3 bedroom apartment... and i work from home selling candles... so the kids stuff ends up on my table, dh's shoes end up under my table and my PartyLite stuff is everywhere. Plus I have a serious lack of PROPER storage.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Crafty Nautolan

Oh Grace so jealous, I would love to go to CHA one year! Have loads of fun!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to MrsAnnieS

Oh and as for pre-challenges I am pretty set, last year's challenge got me in a good habit with my photos and my room is pretty much good.

I know last year though these really helped out a lot!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to MrsAnnieS

Nicole, Welcome and we are so glad to have you!

scrapbookingteacher
Idol
scrapbookingteacher

I want to follow, too! Sorry for falling out last year. Mt bil took a turn for the worse and passed away. We were the support system for his girls. I watched those girls every summer as they grew up.

Got a problem with all the goodies I have from swaps. Need different storage solution for stamps and punches. They have outgrown my last solution.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to scrapbookingteacher

Patty welcome back. It's ok about last year we all know that life happens and I am sorry to hear about your BIL. We can pick it up fresh this year an see what we can do about those problems you are having now with your area.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Hey! Ok...for the pre-challenges is this photos of what we would like our room to be like...or what we have? or both? LOL!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to AuntJo

If you dare to share... show us a photo of your room as it is tonight. This will let us compare the differences of before and after.

The Pre-Challenge is your inspiration... could be a photo of a room or even a fabric for a color scheme. What ever inspires you to get this done and make it the way you want.

provinca
Governor
provinca

Here's the album with my space:

I know in my gut that it has such great potential but it is sooo very far from being there!

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to provinca

Pre Challenge #1

1. Becaue the furniture in the space is cranberry with accents of tan (in the throw pillows and window "treatment" (and I use that term very lightly!), I think I'd like to keep that color going. I've chosen white Jet max cubes to brighten the space up (but in hindsight I wish I had gone with the wood tone ones), and all my boxes are black, so I'd like those three clors to be the main colors -- cranberry, white and black

2. I don't know what style I'm going for. Probably a mix of traditional and vintage ????

3. Size is one wall and spurts of other walls in a 12 x 10 room. It's just a matter of being able to organize it so it all blends.

4. My pictures are in my album here: http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Edited by provinca on 01-21-12 10:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to provinca

Pre Challenge #2

I scrap chronologically, so that's how I sort my pictures. I can honestly say that they are in a box chronologically, but somewhere along the road, I started to pile things up that I thought I would be getting to soon so I have some memorabilia clipped to pictures and paper -- and then it's stuffed in a drawer!

Lookin4newideas
Governor
Lookin4newideas
In response to provinca

Hello, just found this challenge and would love to join! I don't have a fancy scrap room, but I do have a room dedicated to my crafting and paying bills!

Info:

1. Sally/Lookin4newideas
2. The walk-through room I call my office
3. Keeping organized, especially if I'm working on several projects at a time.
4.http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/photo/3 502635.html

It's a dark picture.. I have been putting everything into gallon and 2 gallon bags. It's easier for me to see what's what. I've also been separating theme stuff and getting that put away. Like Halloween is put away, Christmas is just about put away, I'm gathering all my winter/snow stuff and now I'm pulling out Valentine's day plus whatever else I'm working on. I NEED THIS CHALLENGE!!!

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to Lookin4newideas

Pre Challenge #1

1) Colors....I think I would like my main colors to be lavendar, black and white. Purple is my fav color, and lavendar soothes me. My desk is black, and I love how those two colors look together. Accents of crisp clean white I think would look great. Now, since I don't have any of these colors in my room currently (besides my black desk and white, EMPTY walls, I have quite the challenge ahead of me!)

2) Decor Style - I think modern style would work best for me. I love crisp, clean, uncluttered (SO not what I have now )

3) Space size - My room is 13'9" by 7'5".

4) Taking pics tonight of my room....it will take courage to post them because of how trashed it is right now! Also, inspirational pics will be here .

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to izzyw0611

Pre Challenge #2

I scrap by person. Each of my children has their own album. There's also a sisters album, a brothers album, and an album that features layouts that include all 4 kids. Another album has pics of me and my dh. The pics I do have are in a photo box divided by those categories. They are not in order by date however; for example, under Tristan's tab, there might be a pic of him at age 3, followed by one at 8, followed by one at 5. I would like the pic under each tab to be in order by date, oldest to newest, because each album goes like that of course. And my digital pics.....whew! There are hundreds, if not over a thousand, and they are in no order at all!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to provinca

Haha I think my photo and memorbilia mess is more in my closet.... YIKES!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Sally - Welcome!!! I am glad you found us!
We will not be focusing on the fancy colors of the room, as of now we are talking about it for you to keep it back in the back of your mind as you choose labels for your organization or if you do any of the altering challenge we may have to decorate your space... but the majority of this challenge is simply to get organized in a way that will work for you. I think you have come to the right place!

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-21-12 08:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Ok...well I might not get a pic tonight...but you will laugh...because I said I cleaned it up...and then I've been playing and trying to declutter...but it isn't working too well! LOL!

I love the color right now a light aqua, but would like to add a little more pink and more shabby chic to it.

Will try to post pics tomorrow or later!

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to provinca

pre-challenge 1-

scraproom makeover 2012-Room Makeover Insperation colors By Scrappin Kitty

I want to try and de-clutter, but keep everything fairly visible so I don't forget to use my stash, or forget I have something when shopping and get doubles of stuff. (Done that more than once )

pre-challenge 2- I have my photo boxes separated by person but it's not really organized, I have all of my digital separated by month, which is also a pain on finding stuff, so need to get all of my photos scanned (and backed up since they are not yet) and figure out a better method than just flipping through a mill pics to find what I'm looking for.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to AuntJo

just had to say hi!

LJ Carta
New Kid On the Block
LJ Carta
In response to AuntJo

1) Colors: brown,tan and white, because it is off of the kitchen.
2) Cottage Style
3) 9' by 13'
4) Pictures are here: http://lauriescraftingblo g.blogspot.com/

Megan Ann
Governor
Megan Ann
In response to LJ Carta

Hi ya Grace!!!! I had soooo much fun with this last year, though I joined in late & never accomplished much! I am FOR SURE going to try again! I still reference my binder from last year when I need an organization solution! I can't wait to see what this year brings!

1) Name: Megan/user name: Megan Ann
2) Type of scraping area: scrap room (second bedroom in my apt.) I don't know the measurements & there is too much stuff in my room to be able to measure the space!
3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized: EVERYTHING!!! except about a 20"x20" space on my scrap table where I work that is usually cleared off and I am organized around it.
4) Scraproom Makeover Album

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to Megan Ann

Welcome back Megan Ann! It is good to have you back.

I will add you when I get home.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Hi everyone!

Laurie...I love those little display shelves you have up high with the stuffed animals on them. Where did you find those?

Haven't had time to upload pics....or be creative! grrr.

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap
In response to AuntJo

Here's my inspiration and color...

ROOM RE DO By Rattiescrap

I like traditional peices. I have no funds so have to repurpose most everything.

hope this answers the pre-challenge #1

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Yes it does Darla. We are all about repurposing around here. I have been on a HUGE repurpose kick with my art and crafts. Books mostly... I am loving all the things you can do with an old book destined for the recycle bin.

provinca
Governor
provinca

Darla - that's an awesome inspiration room. I can only dream . . . I too have limited, if any, funds to play with in my space -- that's why it's such a hodge podge. I know deep down that it has potential -- even if I can just put some color up on the wall until we get around to refinishing the basement! (Of course, with one dd in nursing school, and the other only two years away from college, that won't be any time soon!

I watch HGTV alot and get loads of great ideas and I know it can be done on the cheap. I just have to put my thinking cap on . . .

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to provinca

Finally got the pics of my scrap room uploaded, and FINALLY got the courage to share! Trust me, it is as bad as the pics show, if not worse. If you go to my gallery, I describe how it got this bad LOL!

Main scrap area By Izzyw0611

South-west corner By Izzyw0611

North wall By Izzyw0611

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to izzyw0611

Val don't get discouraged! My room looked a lot like this last year before the challenge. But this challenge helped so much, that and just focusing on one part at a time, try not to look at the room as a whole. You can definitely do it girl!

Megan Ann
Governor
Megan Ann
In response to MrsAnnieS

Hi ladies!! I'm without my computer for a few days--need to have the hard drive replaced but it is under warranty at least. I am still going to go through withdrawals!!!!!

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
Val don't get discouraged! My room looked a lot like this last year before the challenge. But this challenge helped so much, that and just focusing on one part at a time, try not to look at the room as a whole. You can definitely do it girl!

thanks for the encouragement! i'm nervous but ready to get this thing done!

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap
In response to izzyw0611

Grace...i'd love to hear some of those ideas for repurposing old books sometime!!

Anna/provinca...i love HGTV's ideas too! And second hand stores are wonderful for finding items to repurpose too!

Val...MrsAnnie is right...'one part at a time'! Don't be nervous...it doesn't have to be perfect that's the fun thing!

MeganAnn...sorry for your computer withdrawal! hope it's not long! just breathe!

LJ Carta
New Kid On the Block
LJ Carta
In response to AuntJo

Jo,
I got them at Babies R Us for my daughters nursery. Right now they have my cow collection. I guess that is what happens when you transplant a girl from NH, VT and Upstate NY to California. Now that the room is off of the kitchen I want to make it look a little more grown up.

Laurie

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to izzyw0611

Val, I used to watch this show on HGTV called "Mission Organization" and I loved it. One thing I took from that show is that it's all baby steps and looking at a room as a whole can be daunting, but if you start in one corner and work your way around the room it's not too bad. They used to tackle a spot and deal with the things in that spot instantly. Every item went into a bin marked either "keep" "donate" or "trash". At the end, the "keep" items got sorted and organzed. It was amazing what they accomplished on that show! I just wish it was still on. Actually, they did an episode on a scrap room. It was cool. I use that method around my house -- especially when I'm cleaning the kitchen.

Good luck!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to provinca

Megan Anne - Glad you don't have to pay for it. Hope you get it back soon.

Val - My room looks like that now even though I have done this challenge for the last 3 years. But I am hopeless! So I do a major clean up once a year and a purge too. I added a small crafting business this year and started collecting things I would never have had in my room (like boxes of old books) now it's overflowing. I need to purge! LOL!

Ladies - I love HGTV!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

By the way you won't see me on much over the next week. I will do my best to post the first challenge a few days early before I take off for CHA... if you want a sneak peek at my major CHA project (angel wings that are wearable and fold in and out. Please fallow me on FB (now Letitia Grace Lauer)or my blog. I will be posting it on my blog some time soon I hope. LOL!

Here is a link to one of my photos on FB... the most resent one of this project.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3123750459235&a...

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

PRE-CHALLENGE Challenge #3 - Lets keep this organized! It is important when you are going to organize so many things like we have in our scraproom to keep your ideas and thoughts organized. This week's pre-challenge is to make a binder, inspirations board, computer file of idea photos and articles. If needed Print your inspiration photos, add your color swatches, floor plans or any other things, some loose leaf paper to keep notes on and put them into the binder. If you want to have some scrappbooking fun (like we all do) alter the binder, inspiration board and make it be a representation of your vision for your room/space. Most of all Have FUN!!!!

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-25-12 10:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Pre-Challenge #4 - Muster that Clutter!

Gather it up and sort your stuff, your piles around your space, that corner shelf of chaos and that junk drawer. You know all those things that are not put away or don't have a home. We need to sort it into six major categories. You can sort them into labeled boxes or each category into each corner of the room. This is just temporary for a few weeks but it will make the Scraproom Makeover challenge easier.

organize your supplies By Hanging By A Moment

Categories:

#1: THE DESK - I want all of the things you want within arms reach of your desktop in this pile/box or even right there on your desk. Things that you use on almost every project, inks stamps and your tools etc.

#2: THE PAPERS - Cardstock, patterned papers, scraps, die cuts... etc.

#3: EMBELLISHMENTS - Flowers, ribbons, brads, eyelets, stickers, bling etc.

#4: IMAGES/ EXTRAS
- Photos, memorabilia, bags & totes, magazines & books

Then I also would like you to have the fallowing set up when you are sorting:

#5: A box to donate or giveaway to a friend or a blog or even a craft room at a hospital.

#6: A trash box or bag

This is a new one and we sorta did it during the challenge last year... thought it would be a good idea to get it together before hand if you all have time to do it.

While you are sorting... make a list of the type of things that you NEED to find homes for. Share that list to me in a PM if you want and I will make sure we cover your problem areas. I promise you we will get to it even if we have to extend a week I will do it.

Edited by Hanging By a Moment on 01-25-12 10:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

Pre-Challenge Challenge #1:
1) Colors - I don't plan on changing up the colors because I am not into painting the walls. I do, however, want to take out the darker bookshelves and bring in more white since the room is already very dark as it is.

2) Decor Style - I'm going to keep my style the same... kind of classic pieces with a modern twist. I like the furniture I have, as far as my table and repurposed buffet, both of which have a more classic, formal look, with the modular cubes alone the other wall for a clean, organized look.

3) Space size - I'm in a combination dining room/scrap space. The room is about 12'x9' and most of it is housing scrap stuff!

4)I've actually been pretty good at keeping my room clean and organized! You can check out the after pictures in my album... I haven't really moved much around, so it's all good. I will probably get around to before photos at some point, though.

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

Pre-Challenge #2 -
PHOTOS - I don't print my photos anymore unless I am scrapping them, so most of my storage has become digital. I have a couple of albums that hold the remnants of my printed photos that I haven't scrapped yet, and they're not really sorted. Since I don't have that many, it doesn't take me long to find what I'm looking for.

My digital photos are always my problem. I do NOT like sorting by person. I usually keep them sorted by date that they were loaded to my computer. I have so many years worth of digital files that I don't know if I want to go back and change my sorting method anytime soon! It could take me the whole month, even with my bulk renaming utility and everything!

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

PRE-CHALLENGE Challenge #3 - I already created a board on Pinterest so I could keep some organizational ideas there. It's easier for me to keep track of them that way!

http://pinterest.com/melmwill/scrapbook-su pply-storage-...

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

Pre-Challenge #4 - Muster that Clutter!

Most of my stuff has stayed pretty organized since last year's challenge. I do, however, need to go through my bookcases and figure out what cubes I need to buy in order to store the same (or more) stuff.

Also, if anyone has any good ideas for page storage, in or outside of an album, I would love to see! I have Google searched a couple of times and come up with nothing outside of bookshelves. I'd love to move my albums into another room where the kids have access to them, but buying albums is also pricier, even when you get them 1/2 off, so the idea of storing them in page protectors in another manner is something I'm interested in.

Oh. I also need to get my albums sorted and labeled. That is one of my big TO DO's this year.

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap

Pre-Challenge #2 Photos

Pre-digi ones are in photo boxes according to dates. I'd like to get coordinating boxes in the same patterns (black & white?). They are currently in the top of my scraproom closet. Would prefer a bookcase for them.

The digital ones on my computer are mostly organized by date, altho some are by events and person. I'm afraid to mess with that! Not sure how to back up all of them?! Scary if pc goes down!! Definitely need to figure it out!

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap

Pre-challenge #3 Binder

I started one last year for this...now if i can just find it again!! lol

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Darla... go get a flash drive.. one of those little portable memory type drives you plug into your computer through a USB port and back them up on that. They are getting cheaper now then they used to be.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee

So I went to ARchivers today and we were all talking about this challenge -- I want to join in. (Please).

1) Name/user name -- My name is Eileen and I go by NCYANKEE

2) Type of scraping area (closet, corner, room etc.) -- I'm really lucky. I have the bonus room over our garage. It's a large space. Was a play room - but since no one was using it I threw the children out!

3) Your biggest problem area that is hard to keep organized. --- too much stuff and no home for it.

It's empty right now.

I will get started on the prechallenge challenges!!

Edited by ncyankee on 01-25-12 05:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lookin4newideas
Governor
Lookin4newideas
In response to NVyankee

Pre-challenge #1: I prefer white or pale pink. The room is dark and I don't want to be stuck with a color I won't like. I had some paint I never used from 2 years ago. I was all excited to get a jump start on painting while I cleaned...the paint was dried up.

Pre-challenge #2: My pictures are either in old albums or in a plastic bin. I had separated them by sibling member/family/event/my daughter. Then I put them into gallon baggies. I do a lot of challenges, and when I have a pic in mind, I know which bag to go to, to find it. I have some pictures from about 16-18 years ago in a couple of photo boxes. I had separated them into the bags last National Scrapbook Day. (that was one of the week long challenges)

My digitals are on my hard drive and I need to back them up. I don't know who to organize them on Windows 7 other than by the date they get loaded. I bought a program last year called Photo Explosion, but I it's got too much stuff on it and I don't understand half of it, so my mind shuts down.

Pre-challenge #3. I have 2 14x14 cork board I had bought real cheap and never put up on my walls. I'll use that. I need to see things, if I put in a binder, I'll forget it's there.

Pre-challenge #4 - it was my goal to get all my scrappy stuff organized this month. I'm not working and have limited funds and I have a terrible addiction to buying scrapbook stuff. I'm seeing a mental health professional next week for the first time to get help. I keep buying stuff "for swaps". It wasn't until I started getting organized that I realized how much stuff I have bought in the past 6 months.

1 - I have two deskt top craft caddies I'll be using.
2 - I have my papers separated by color, paper packs on top. I have a very large envelope next to my desk I put scraps of card stock in. Then I have a med size plastic bin I put the rest of the scrap paper. When it gets full, I pull out the stuff that I like the most and give away the rest of it on Freecyle.
3 - I recently separated into plastic containers, my buttons, brads, bling, stickers and misc embellies. Then I have all my swap stuff in gallon bags and putting them away in a closet by season.
5 - I have a box to put extra swap stuff in and will be mailing to Pebblesh here on sb.com. She has a donation forum going found here: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15634...
6 - my favorite Christmas present this year was one of those metal trash cans with the foot petal to open it. Then inside is a plastic bucket with handle to empty out into the trash bin. I fill it up twice a week.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Eileen welcome! I am glad you found us. I too can't wait to get started!

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty

Pre-challenge 3 I have a file on my computer with all of my ideas, and plan to carry a piece of the insperation fabric with me when shopping for storage.

Pre-challenge 4- in progress

Lookin4newideas
Governor
Lookin4newideas

I just got this email a couple of minutes ago if anyone is interested in checking it out:

Dream scrap rooms

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap

Thank you, Grace, for the flash drive idea!! Not sure how to use it but have a dsil who can help!!

Eileen: I wish there was an Archiver's near me!!
Sally: sorry your paint dried out!! I have my digi pics organized in Picasa...it's a free download and understandable (mostly). You are doing great with a twice weekly trash dump and freecycle and donating stuff here...before you know it you'll have it under control! I've never done swaps...i must be missing something...lol!

Is ROYGBIV...red, orange, yellow, green, blue, ??, violet? is that the color chart pattern to follow for ordering colors in a row?

working on Pre-challenge #4 sorting into boxes.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

OH no Sally! That stinks about your paint. Thanks for sharing that inspiration though... there are some great ideas on there!

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

• Livin/laughinscrapper Said:

Is ROYGBIV...red, orange, yellow, green, blue, ??, violet? is that the color chart pattern to follow for ordering colors in a row?

ROYGBIV = red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

I got a wild hair up my butt and started working on sorting albums last night. 3 down, 4 more to go. Apparently at one point in my scrapping I didn't think it was important to write the date on my pages, so a couple of times I was scratching my head trying to compare pictures so that I could guesstimate the age.

Reminder to everyone: Make sure you date your pages somewhere so that if you eventually want to sort them chronologically, you will be able to! lol

provinca
Governor
provinca

• Lookin4newideas Said:
I just got this email a couple of minutes ago if anyone is interested in checking it out:

Dream scrap rooms

Love those ideas!! TFS!

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-27-12 08:46 AM

This is a fabulous thread! I am almost done organizing my room, but would like to participate anyway. Thank you Grace!
btw, love your angel wings! I tried to like the pic, but since we aren't friends on fb I couldn't. Best wishes at CHA!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to provinca

Melissa, Thanks for answering the color question. I have been so busy this week. Also I have the same problem! Way to go though on getting those organized!!!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to meela

Welcome Meela! I am happy you found us here.

As for the wings...Oh wow. Thanks! Friend me if you want. I will try to get a photo up here... Don't want to put it in my gallery until after CHA though.

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Here are some quick snap shots... I pulled these out of the box to snap these so the ribbons hanging down were all bunched up (second photo) in the feathers. It doesn't do this, this much if you are just using it.

It is boxed up and on it's way to CHA! YIKES!!!

Crafty Nautolan
Pro
Crafty Nautolan

wow, those are great!

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to Crafty Nautolan

Have fun at CHA! Hi everyone. Is it too late to join?

3.) I'm having a really big problem w/ organizing, most of my stuff is in storage and I'd like to learn to organize what I already have here so when I move the rest down again, I'll be able to put it way w/ no problems.

Edited by rubymillerand on 01-27-12 05:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 01-27-12 07:59 PM
In response to Monique_McCoy

Grace, those are amazing! My word, how clever. Love them!

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap
In response to meela

wow, Grace, those are stunning! what are they for? Have fun at CHA!

I can't remember what I was suppose to work on...oh, yah...sorting!! yuk!

Have a good weekend all!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to Monique_McCoy

• rubymillerand Said:
Have fun at CHA! Hi everyone. Is it too late to join?

Not to late at all! Welcome Monique. There is a Challenge log on the first page that will give you the pre-challenges. I will be out of town returning on the first. You will hear more from me then and we will rock this challenge!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

Thanks so much Pam, Darla and Nicole!

LADIES! I leave in the morning. Please welcome all new comers and tell them I will update their info on the front page when I get back on the First/Second! BUT ALL ARE WELCOME! We have enought of you returning that I think you all will be ok!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment

By the way my Mom... Memaw's Treasures will be posting Feb. 1st's post for you ladies since I will be traveling that day.

YourScrapAttack
Diva
YourScrapAttack

travel safe grace and have fun.

id like to join in please. i dont have a seperate room. i have a bed in dresser in my room i scrap in. oh and my kids. hahahaha long story. ill come back later today and load up the info. needed.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to YourScrapAttack

morning -- I need a challenge to organize my time! LOL. Like that will ever happen.

I am hoping to work on pre challenges tomorrow. I did take pics the other day just haven't uploaded them (refer to first sentence).

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to NVyankee

Good morning ladies. Safe travels Grace and have loads of fun. I'm looking forward to hearing about it all.

I just wanted to update you -- I finally replaced the rocking chair I was sitting on at my scrap desk with a real desk chair! I took it out of dd1's room since she's away at college. I can't even begin to tell you what a surge of energy that little move gave me!! LOL

Oh, and is it terrible that I'm happy that my couch broke?? DH and I just noticed that the back of the long couch in my space has split and you can't lean back on it (or at least you shouldn't lean up against it). . . so, out it goes! I'll only have the loveseat now, but that will open things up so much. I can't wait for trash day to take the broken one out to the curb!!

Have a great weekend!

Edited by provinca on 01-28-12 12:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

izzyw0611
Idol
izzyw0611
In response to provinca

jci and will get started on the newest pre-challenges tomorrow.

thank you ladies for all the encouragement! instead of being overwhelmed i'm starting to get excited about getting my room back to its former glory, but better! Anna, 'Mission: Organization' sounds like a show that I would've loved!! HGTV is one of my famous channels. The keep, donate, trash boxes u suggested to use during my clean-up process....genius! It was like i literally saw a light bulb go on over my head! That is going to make things so much easier I cannot even begin to describe how much! Thank you, and again also to everyone who encouraged me!

Scrappin Kitty
Governor
Scrappin Kitty
In response to izzyw0611

Grace those are Beautiful!!!

Anna congrats on the chair and more space

Val sounds like you have a great plan. HGTV is awesome

almost done hanging all of the stuff back up on my newly painted walls, and sewed a valance for the room. Also got all of the stuff to make a stamp inventory. Can't wait till the first to officially get started and see everyone's great ideas!

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics