Username Post: ALTERED TINS        (Topic#1569477)
mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

Ive seen a couple forum postings about making altered tins. i have gone thru the resourses but darned if i see anything. Can anyone forward me a link to watch or read? I know someone, and please forgive me i dont remember who said to use Altoid tins. any help would be greatly appreciated

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to mars2005

Did you search for tins in the gallery? Several popped up when I just tried.
What information exactly are you looking for?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to tinacome

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/1265.html

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tinacome

check youtube for altered tins.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to CommaHolly

Step 1: Find a tin.

Step 2: Glue stuff to the tin.

Presto! It's an altered tin.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to amandahugandkiss

• amandahugandkiss Said:

This is THE best/easiest tutorial I've ever seen!!!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Bxr-Linda

LOL, love it

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to tinacome

well i guess it was just another stupid question. and YES I LOOKED IN RESOURSES UNDER ALTERED ITEMS....i guess im just blind and stupid.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to mars2005

i looked under altered items in resourses. i didnt check gallery. i wanted a step by step but i guess that was stupid thing to ask about since i dont know....what glue to use, will the ink stay on the tin or ink only paper, how to use the Mod Podge on metal etc etc.

Michee
Michee 
Idol
Michee
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • amandahugandkiss Said:

This is THE best/easiest tutorial I've ever seen!!!

Wow...really???

I would definitely try YouTube if you can't find anything helpful on here. I've never altered a tin before so I don't have any great answers like the one above that may help you out. Hope you're able to find something.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Michee

I think the responses here were very helpful.

1. What information are you looking for?
2. a link to a video tutorial on searching the gallery
3. suggestion to try Youtube
4. Basic directions on altering

And now the original poster is offended?

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to Bxr-Linda

i am the orginal poster and yes i am offended. I know im new and maybe ask stupid questions and i DO CHECK RESOURSES FIRST. i didnt find anything on altering tins. I looked in the gallery but that doesnt tell me...for example...what glue is used on tin, does Mod Podge work, etc etc. I looked on my Mod Podge jar, doesnt say anything about bonding/using on any metal. i dont want to waste time/energy and products when it would be so simple for someone to tell me what they use. I didnt go directly to Youtube videos because i assumed someone, anyone, could give me help on a Forum meant to help people. and the answer.."get a tin, glue on it" yea, IM NOT AN IDIOT, but i am new. this has happened before...ill ask a question and someone will say "did you check resourses?" even after i put on there i did. i may not have used the right termanology to look up something, or the right words etc. did anything think maybe that is why i couldnt find anything.

Michee
Michee 
Idol
Michee
In response to Bxr-Linda

I think she was probably referring to the Step 1, Step 2 response. I read it myself and thought it came off a little snarky. ???

OnlyJane
Mayor
OnlyJane
In response to mars2005

Don't get discouraged - it is always the same ones who give snarky comments - for some reason they think they are funny, but rest assured if someone gives them a dumb answer, they get bent out of shape!

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to OnlyJane

thank you!!!!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to mars2005

Well you know what? It came off as snarky because I meant it as snarky. It was a poorly worded question. If you had said "What adhesive works best on tin?" I would have responded appropriately. Instead, you asked a vague question and I answered it.

Try looking at the resources, youtube, search past threads, or here's a novel approach- why don't you google it? "How to alter tins scrapbooking" came up with over 2 million hits. Is that enough for you?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mars2005

I think part of the problem is that you didn't give any details as to what you wanted to do,,,,what look you're looking for.

altered tins can be covered with paint, paper, crackle stuff, cloth, fibers, , etc,,,,

you can use a hundred different adhesives,,,,ATG, Mod podge, glossy accents, etc,,,,,

and that's only TWO elements.

I don't think any one meant to be rude,,,,,,

show us a picture,,,,explain what you want,,,,

"I want to cover a tin with paper and I don't know what the best adhesive to use."

"I want a crackle look on my tin. Can I use crackle paint on metal?"

"What paint is best for metal for my altered tin?"

"I want my tin to look shiny,,,what should I use?"

"I want to make one like THIS (picture). Any suggestions how to start?"

WE don't know what you want, so WE can't give you step by step directions until you've narrowed down what you want

And really,,I am NOT being snarky. There's just so many ways to do different things. Which is why I suggested You-tube,,,,,,,when I want to do something brand new, I google it. I look it up on Youtube,,,,,If I can't figure it out, I come here,,,,,,but I have a picture,,,,or I know what look I am going for

I really hope that helped.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

i guess i assumed when i asked about "making them" one would assume ive never made one and give me at least basic instructions. And i shouldnt have to google, isnt that what the forums are for? to get help? and as ive stated before i did look under resourses, found nothing on making altered tins. Looking at the gallery doesnt give me instructions now does it?? no, it just gives me these beautiful pictures.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mars2005

but I can't help you if you don't know what kind you want to make,,,,,,

let's say I told you to use glossy accents, cover with paper using the accents as a glue,,,,,,,then cover with glossy accents.

that's an altered tin,,,,,

but then I found out you really liked the red one with the blue flowers and that's CLOTH.

well, the directions I gave you wouldn't WORK for that.

am I making any sense? Really, I'm trying to help

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

thank you for explaining to me that my question was so vague. i guess i was vague, but didnt know i needed to put details on there. I guess i just assumed someone would figure out that ive never made one before and gee...and im quoting someone..."WHAT A NOVEL APPROACH" and just help or guide me in the right direction. But thats okay.

Edited by mars2005 on 01-20-12 07:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

to be honest with you CommaHolly, i wouldnt know the difference between a glossy accent and a flower. half the time i have no idea of what you all are talking about. AND I KNOW, I KNOW...LOOK UP THE TERMINOLOGY. i just wanted a place to start. plain and simple. Ive learned my lesson, i wont ask. I guess i should just go back to google and not worry about actually belonging to a forum discussion.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mars2005

ok, then, I'm sorry,,,,,,,,but details do help. or a picture of something you'd like to make a similar one of.

sorry. Have a good night.

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 01-20-12 07:22 PM

Forum discussion implies a discussion .. not a step by step instruction for everything you want to attempt.

You questioned about the recipe cards .. and then what you posted as a result of your efforts was absolutely awesome.

Scrapbookingg and its accompanying trends are a live and learn trial and error. It seems to many that you are wanting step by step instructions for something very ambiguous by your description. Many of us use YouTube which MANY of the vids there will give you step by step instructions, will explain the different products etc.

There are hundreds of thousands of products in the scrapbook world ... it is just not possible to have someone walk you through each and every product.

Trust in your instincts .. your recipes cards were gorgeous. Throw caution to the wind and see what happens with your tin. Whats it going to cost you .. some paper and glue ... I am sure it will be awesome. Part of the fun getting there is the journey.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-20-12 07:26 PM
In response to Juggy

How do you alter a tin? A thousand thousand different ways, any way you want, and different materials require different adhesives, different inks, etc. So looking for even basic instructions would be largely dependent on the specific materials you want to use.

Looking through the galleries can be really helpful, because then you can post a link and ask how do I do this exactly, how was this done, etc. There are so many different techniques and different ways to accomplish all this artsy craftsy stuff, there's just no single answer to anything.

Is Mod Podge a good glue to use for paper on metal? Great question, I didn't know the answer but I googled and the answer is yes (the Mod Podge Rocks blog is pretty fun ). Good to know, I'm going to remember that as I have a cute old film tin that might be fun to alter.

For specific techniques, I honestly find google to be infinitely more helpful than the resources here, or at least much faster to use. If you like video resources, You-Tube is also much more immediate. And as Juggy points out, there are thousands of products in the scrapbooking world alone. Never mind the bazillions of products that may also be useful in the non-scrapbook art/craft arena.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

I just think its very fustrating for us "newbies" we dont know what to ask, what fourm to ask it in. We dont have all the lingo memorized. We dont always know what you mean by emboss, or die cut etc etc. See what i am saying. I just looked and there is nothing about "how to ask the correct question". And ive seen where questions are asked but instead of getting an answer they get a lesson on spelling or gramar etc etc. who cares, really? this isnt an english class. I dont go to the beginers scrapbook forum as i was told, by another neighbor that "you been scrapping long enough, you dont have to ask in the beginers forum" so you see, its all very confusing. Ive talked with several "newbies" (i keep using that because of all the titles, im a vetern and have no idea on anything) and alot of them feel very put off by answers they get, or a statement they post. I do thank you for explaining that i need to be more careful but i think im done asking questions.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to mars2005

• mars2005 Said:
i guess i assumed when i asked about "making them" one would assume ive never made one and give me at least basic instructions. And i shouldnt have to google, isnt that what the forums are for? to get help? and as ive stated before i did look under resourses, found nothing on making altered tins. Looking at the gallery doesnt give me instructions now does it?? no, it just gives me these beautiful pictures.

Since this is the bijillionth thing you've asked for videos for, people have figured out that you want someone to google and search you tube for videos for you. People are simply not going to do that when it takes 4 seconds to do it yourself. If you would have googled, you would have had your videos in less time than it required to write out this post. You'd probably be working on the tin already.

I'm sorry, but people are not going to do that for you. You've been pointed towards you tube a bajillion times, that's where you're going to find the videos. Plain and simple.

Now if there's still something you're not sure about like what adhesive is best, or it's not working out like the video said it should, or you simply want a certain look you've found in the gallery and aren't sure how to achieve it, come here and ask more specific questions than "someone link me a video"...you'll get different blasted results.

I'm sorry you have some aversion to using google and you tube, but that's what it's going to take if you want the things you're asking for.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to mars2005

• mars2005 Said:
Looking at the gallery doesnt give me instructions now does it?? no, it just gives me these beautiful pictures.

Actually, very often it does.

There are LOTS of people who post things in their gallery here, and then link a blog for more details and instructions.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to stick

Thank you Stick. i relized when i looked in the gallery how many different styles to alter a tin there was. But see i ask the exact same question on doing a journal and the answers were great. some started with this and that but i picked from there and made my journal. As for as sending messages to people that post pictures in the gallery i wasnt sure if that was, hum let me get the right word...acceptable i guess is a good word.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • mars2005 Said:
Looking at the gallery doesnt give me instructions now does it?? no, it just gives me these beautiful pictures.

Actually, very often it does.

There are LOTS of people who post things in their gallery here, and then link a blog for more details and instructions.

That, or they link or describe the products they used. Very often people will link the adhesive they used since the superstore carries many of them. If they don't link that kind of thing, it's pretty easy to message them and ask that question.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-20-12 07:35 PM
In response to mars2005

• mars2005 Said:
As for as sending messages to people that post pictures in the gallery i wasnt sure if that was, hum let me get the right word...acceptable i guess is a good word.

It's on the internet, therefore it's public to the entire world, therefore it's acceptable to message anyone. You may or may not get an answer, you may or may not get an answer you understand or like, but it never hurts to ask.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to Bxr-Linda

Wouldn't be easier and faster to take 2 minutes and do a google and you-tube search, rather than create a thread and keep coming back to check it for responses? And then when you don't like my witty response, take time to complain about it?

It just doesn't make sense.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

why google when thats what this is for. as far as a "witty response" i dont think so. It was mean. And as far as me coming back to check responses, i believe that is my business not yours. You obviously came back.

Edited by mars2005 on 01-20-12 07:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to mars2005

THANK ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE SENT ME PM'S. your comments and concerns are very nice.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to mars2005

• mars2005 Said:
why google when thats what this is for. as far as a "witty response" i dont think so. It was mean. And as far as me coming back to check responses, i believe that is my business not yours. You obviously came back.

Im sorry, I didn't realize you were so delicate. In the interests of peace, here is my olive branch.

Here is step by step how to make an altered tin.

Using double sided tape, an atg gun, zip dry glue, or glossy accents, adhere paper to the tin.

Stamp a design on the paper. Ink edges. Adhere a rub on. Use stickles for bling. Attach a ribbon bow. Attach 15 flowers with brads.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

• amandahugandkiss Said:
  • mars2005 Said:

Im sorry, I didn't realize you were so delicate. In the interests of peace, here is my olive branch.

Here is step by step how to make an altered tin.

Using double sided tape, an atg gun, zip dry glue, or glossy accents, adhere paper to the tin.

Stamp a design on the paper. Ink edges. Adhere a rub on. Use stickles for bling. Attach a ribbon bow. Attach 15 flowers with brads.

How would you attach flowers with brads on a metal tin? That seems like a lot of punching thru....why not just use glue dots? Just wondering?

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to ScrappyMama6

Use the brads to hold the flowers together and for the look. Then put a glue dot on the back. I never poke brads through paper when I am scrapping.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

Ok, I understand now, thanks. I thot, wow that seems like work!

Thanks for answering.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to ScrappyMama6

http://tag.wonderhowto.com/alter-altoid-tin/

http://bigartadventure.blogspot.com/2008/11/alter-tin.h...

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8015784_alter-alto id-tins.htm...

http://davebrethauer.typepad.com/createx3/2009/09/lets -...

http://bitze.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/alter-a-ti n-dream...

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

Just in case you were wondering, there are 546 youtube videos when you search it for "altered tin".

I get that you are of the opinion that the forums are your resource and you shouldn't have to go anywhere else. Fact of the matter is, that people are not going to go off to youtube, do the search and link the 546 results here when you can do it yourself in 4 seconds. People are generally not going to type out instructions that are already all over the internet.

If you refuse to do a simple search for yourself, then you can't get frustrated that no one else will do it for you. And if you come here repeatedly asking for step by step instructions, you will repeatedly be told to try google, you tube, and the resources here. Why might you be told that, you ask? It's because that's where we all go to find a starting point for a new project...we all know the vast resources that are out there...yet you refuse to take that information and run with it yourself.

Your tin could have been done by now.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to leebla

the 4th link is FANTASTIC!!!! Elizabeth, you ROCK!

I'm putting this thread into my faves so I can find it if I decide to make one of these

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to madmatter

I'm curious and as I have never made one before, I'm wondering what do you use them for? Mini albums or to hold mini note cards? I was looking at the sites that Elizabeth posted and I should go to youtube just know I'll get stuck there if I do, such good information. I just can't figure out what you do with them.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to foltzy

in the 4th link, the person made a teeny accordion album to go inside .. so so cute

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-20-12 09:06 PM
In response to OnlyJane

I've altered Altoid tins several time and am a big fan of Modge Podge to do so, if you are using cardstock or patterned paper. Is this the kind of tin you are looking to do?

I haven't read through the responses yet to see if someone already suggested that, so sorry if I'm repeating.

Altering tins is not much different than how you altered the Wizard of Oz box. Give it a try; Altoids are like $2 so it's not a huge investment if you don't like it, kwim?

Edited by theboydbunch on 01-20-12 09:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to foltzy

• foltzy Said:
I'm curious and as I have never made one before, I'm wondering what do you use them for? Mini albums or to hold mini note cards? I was looking at the sites that Elizabeth posted and I should go to youtube just know I'll get stuck there if I do, such good information. I just can't figure out what you do with them.

I think they'd be cute to store embellishments too. I've seen tin containers that come in fairly good sizes.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to angie girl

Thanks ladies. They both sound like cute ideas.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-20-12 09:23 PM
In response to foltzy

I've used altered tins(Altoid size) for a bunch of stuff, hold things on my desk, like thumbtacks, paper clips, etc...put bobby pins in, I've made a mini accordion album out of a tin and altered it to "hold it"...they are quick, easy and fun to do.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

Now I have to check the 4th link! I have an altoid tin I've been saving!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

they also make nice gift boxes for gift cards,,,,,,and small items like a gift of 10 stick pins

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

GREAT,,,,,,,,

now I have to make an altered tin for my sister with a little mini book inside!!!!!!!

gee thanks, Elizabeth! LOL, (kidding!)

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

OMG Holly, what are you doing awake?

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Seeing as the original question has been answered and the banter seems pretty well done, I'll just add this:

This thread reminds me of soooooo many "read my mind" conversations with my Dad. He will make a vague remark with only a fraction of information. The other person then has to try to remember EVERYTHING that man has ever experienced in life (or simply seen on t.v.) to figure out what in Sam Hills Hippy Dippy he is talking about.

Alas, it seems to have passed down to me, too.... Turns out there's a button right behind your left ear that, when pushed, allows everyone around you to read your mind while you speak. Very useful tool.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 01-21-12 05:16 AM
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Seeing as the original question has been answered and the banter seems pretty well done, I'll just add this:

This thread reminds me of soooooo many "read my mind" conversations with my Dad. He will make a vague remark with only a fraction of information. The other person then has to try to remember EVERYTHING that man has ever experienced in life (or simply seen on t.v.) to figure out what in Sam Hills Hippy Dippy he is talking about.

Alas, it seems to have passed down to me, too.... Turns out there's a button right behind your left ear that, when pushed, allows everyone around you to read your mind while you speak. Very useful tool.

AWESOME!!!!!!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Tivi

The challenge then becomes remembering to turn it on.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to MommaSaid

You crackin' me up, Momma! I think you descibed the same condition my StepDad has,,,, His deal is less 'remember' and more 'predict.'. If that makes sense. LoL

K

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

Is there anything special I should do for a round tin? I have a tin just like the one pictured here (this is a link to a site where all you can buy is baked treats, not scrapping supplies) - and I would like to make it cute for holding pens and things, especially for traveling with my scrap supplies. I am a bit terrible at lining paper up perfectly and was thinking perhaps to spray paint it. (Disclaimer: I have no paint of any kind in the house except some cans of ugly wall paint.) Is there a specific type of spray paint I should get? Would I be best advised to get the same kind I'll need when I eventually alter my ATG (Krylon Fusion)?

If I do decide to adhere paper, though - perhaps covering the top and bottom edges with ribbon to hide any crookedness - do I need to sand it first?

I do kind of like the fabric idea, but I'm not sure I have a good adhesive for that and it still causes a problem with the lid.

Any advice for this situation is appreciated.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to aquabunny

I have this EXACT tin sitting on my desk waiting to be altered!!!!!!

I plan on covering it with paper,,,and I think I'll use score tape for adhesive (the red balogna tape works well too),,,,,but first I'll rough it up with sand paper and then spray paint it a complimentary color (lid too),,,,

for the lid, I think I'll use a nestie to cut out the circle on top (I think one of them just fits) and then put lace around the lip of the lid.

At least that was my thought.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

there's spray paint you can buy especially for metal, if that helps,,,,I get it at Walmart for about 3 bucks a can, give or take. I buy the Krylon, so I think that would work,,,,it worked for the cookie sheet I painted.

it's probably going to need more than one coat,,,,,,I discovered a thick coat will run,,,,,so I'd do 3-4 really light coats for best coverage and dry WELL between coats!

HTH!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• angie girl Said:
OMG Holly, what are you doing awake?

husband was late LOL!

New Kid On the Block
In response to mars2005

Does anyone know where to get band-aid tins to alter? Thanks

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 01-21-12 09:15 AM
In response to jrskss_493893

I bought a few band aid tins online before. Did you check the superstore here? Do band aids come in tins anymore? If so, that's what I would buy

Edited to add: I just did a little searching around for you and I think Provo Craft was one of the original manufacturer and they have discontinued making these. You may have some luck buying them second-hand or from other places that sell tins. I did not see any in the Superstore here.

Edited by theboydbunch on 01-21-12 09:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to designguyKORY

Kory, it's a rare day! Usually, only *I* think I'm funny.

Now, I want those yummy good whoosamagig sticks! (See, I'm also super smart today!)

AND, I turned around to see the tea tin that's now available for altering (three inch circle; about six inches tall). I think I'm going to wrap the base in paper. I'm thinking it will be a Valentine candy tin; and can't decide which way to go with embellishment -- son's teacher; sorta girly -- flowers and keys and my really fun stuff or more kid-like with hearts?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

Been working on the Pirouline tin this afternoon - ribbon and scrapping-themed paper and some Black Diamond Stickles which are currently drying and which I'm therefore afraid to touch until tomorrow morning. Work will resume then. Decided not to spray-paint or sand after all.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to aquabunny

This thread made my day! (well the information part anyway) I have quite a few tins sitting around and I never thought about altering them before... Besides the basic paper around a tin can to keep my markers in.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Rushli

Finished with my Pirouline tin!

BEFORE:
Altered Cookie Tin - Pic 1 of 4 By Aquabunny

AFTER:
Altered Cookie Tin - Pic 4 of 4 By Aquabunny

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Nice! What are you going to store in there? (I have three of them, but no clue what to do with them)

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Rushli

I dig the can.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:

Nice! What are you going to store in there? (I have three of them, but no clue what to do with them)

I don't know if I'll use it full-time but I'll definitely use it for transporting pens and markers and glue pens when traveling with my scrap stuff. Might use it as a full-time solution if it'll hold enough as that would clear up some significant space on my desk.

scrapbookingforothers
Pro
scrapbookingforothers
In response to mars2005

http://kbatsel.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-alte red-al... her tins are really nice and she has lots of photos and says what adhesives she uses, I found this pretty helpful.

http://sarahsinkspot.com/blog/altered-altoid-t in-album this tin is painted and used paper on the top, it has a little mini album in it

http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/s urprise-dad-wi... I know this isn't probably what you are looking for but it is just sooo cute, I would love to make this one

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 01-22-12 05:18 PM
In response to scrapbookingforothers

Omg, Vickie that 3rd link is so cute! DH wouldn't be into the traditional altered tin for a gift but I can so see making one of the mini double-decker toolboxes for a package of nuts on the top "drawer" and then a home depot gift card in the other. Maybe add a "nuts & bolts" tag...
Thanks so much for linking!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to MoniL

Love....love...love that 3rd link! So very, very cute! Thanks for sharing!

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 01-22-12 05:34 PM
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

My kids eat these all of the time. I have a can in my cabinet now. I'll have to start saving the cans. This is a great idea. And I'm buying altoids tomorrow:)

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-22-12 05:48 PM
In response to PDRNC

Holy cow that toolbox one is fantastic!! I hate that you can still see the embossed "altoids" though, that would drive me bonkers.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

I love the toolbox! I've gotta make one!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to designguyKORY

thanks for more links ... those are all awesome!

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 01-22-12 07:46 PM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Holy cow that toolbox one is fantastic!! I hate that you can still see the embossed "altoids" though, that would drive me bonkers.

I think the regular size tin isn't embossed. That's the size I'm planning on making. But that tiny one is sooo cute!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MoniL

oh how cute is that toolbox!!!!! I MUST make one!

and I love how your tin turned out, Aquabunny!!!!!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

All the regular and small size Altoids tins I've seen around have a raised "altoids" on them. BUT sucrets come in a tin just like the old altoids tins. Unfortunately, i don't know anyone who uses those.

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-23-12 06:35 AM
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I like how this came out. I think this would look very nice in a scraproom

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-23-12 06:45 AM

• scrapbookingforothers Said:
http://kbatsel.blogspot.com/2011/02/tutorial-alte red-al... her tins are really nice and she has lots of photos and says what adhesives she uses, I found this pretty helpful.

http://sarahsinkspot.com/blog/altered-altoid-t in-album this tin is painted and used paper on the top, it has a little mini album in it

http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/s urprise-dad-wi... I know this isn't probably what you are looking for but it is just sooo cute, I would love to make this one

I love all three of them. Thanks for the great links.

Lunie

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb

• scrapbookingforothers Said:

TFS

scrapbookingforothers
Pro
scrapbookingforothers
In response to aquabunny

Aquabunn your altered cookie tins are very cute! Great idea!

If anyone finds the altoid type tins and bandaid tins for sale, please share it on here. I looked through the Superstore and didn't find any, they used to be made by ProvoCraft. I bought some from Oriental Trading a long time ago but can't seem to find them on their website now.

scrapbookingforothers
Pro
scrapbookingforothers

http://www.accucutcraft.com/supplies/metal-tins/l arge-h...

These are a little bigger than the usual altoid tins, I think.

MyRv4me
Resident
MyRv4me

OHHHHHHHHHHh... I LOVE this idea!!! Thanks

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics