Username Post: Scotch ATG gun        (Topic#1570130)
kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
Expert
kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner

I was a crop awhile ago and noticed alot of girls using one of the Scotch ATG tape guns-so I had to have one. It just came in today...I am so excited to use it-but for those who have one where do you order your refills from?

TIA

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner

I use a 40% off coupon at J's, A's, M's or HL. Makes it about $6.....$3 a roll.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:

What she said!

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:

Ditto! Sometime's that's DH's job. He comes in with me, I hand him a package of tape and a coupon and say he's free to leave and wait in the car.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-02-12 01:52 PM
In response to MrsSugarBear

I try to get mine at one of our lss'. Get a bigger roll and even though it's $5 I don't have to worry about a coupon.

Expert
In response to MrsSugarBear

I also use the coupons for HL and M's--I used to order a box of twelve from a framing site, but their prices went up and it's really not worth it. Last year it was worthwhile for me even though it technically cost more, but because only M's had the refills and they almost never had them in stock, plus it was hard for me to get there--it was easier to pay a little more online. Now I have time to go get them one at a time and since HL carries them it's the best option for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to HuskerMom98

I buy it from a framing place online. For the acid free the current price is $4.15 a box which is about $2.07 a roll. Since I buy 24 boxes which is 48 rolls, the savings are substantial and I get it immediately.

I've used the 50% off coupons at Michaels but its $9.00 or $10.00 a box so it is still more for the acid free than the online cost and a lot more hassle to go to the store and get a coupon.

I order and then I have a supply for a while. It's wonderful!

I've also run out before I started buying them locally and not been able to get them because my Michaels was out of stock so I had to waste time going to other stores or just use something else at the crop.

Now, I'm set and I take 2 or 3 extra rolls for others who run out at crops. On more than one occasion someone has needed a fresh roll and I let them have it for the $2.00 a roll which I pay.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Henri Jean

I order mine from a tape company, I'd have to look it up, but I buy a dozen rolls at a time about once a year. Its a lot cheaper that way. Not Scotch brand, but to me is as good and saves money. Google tape for ATG and see what you come up with.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-02-12 07:48 PM
In response to Mother Goose

Another M's/J's coupon user. I'm a SLOW scrapper so I don't go through it very quickly at all, so I don't keep more than 1 or 2 extra rolls on hand. I do always buy Scotch brand though because I'm a MAJOR fan of their adhesives and abrasives. Even took a picture of the 3M corporate sign as we were driving past it in Minneapolis last month. You know that playground taunt that goes "well why don't you marry it if you like it so much" ... yeh. I would if I could, lol

Edited by stick on 02-02-12 08:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
Expert
kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
In response to stick

thank u for the advice...google here I come

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I buy online also. Get the gold tape. I love my atg.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

Are we allowed to post the link here, since the store here doesn't sell ATG tape? I don't think they have any products that conflict.

scoot297
Idol
scoot297

On a side note, if you have the pink gun does it only use the 1/4" tape? I bought a couple 1/2" gold refills and they don't seem to fit. So, I guess they are useless to me and I need to go get more 1/4"!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to scoot297

I LOVE that HL now carries the ATG and the tape. I stock up when adhesive is 50% off.

I now have 2 ATGs - one for general tape (cards and other projects) and one for acid free (LOs).

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-03-12 08:53 AM
In response to pugs223

Henri, sb.com does carry ATG and both 1/4" and 1/2" tape.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to stick

I ordered both from Amazon but be careful, if the order isn't being fulfilled by Amazon, shipping cost can be high.

kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
Expert
kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
In response to SoonerT

thank you...I think I might order it from here gonna do some comparison shopping. Can you pm the link Henri Jean?

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il

OK. So, I'm piping in on this. I have heard a lot about the ATG's and always wanted to get one, but I need a really good reason to get one. Why the ATG versus the other adhesives like the GlueRiderPro (or whatever the correct name is). Does it hold a bigger roll? I'm just curious. Trying to find a reason to get one and use my coupon. I go through adhesives like I go through water (which is a lot)

Expert
In response to scrappnmom2il

• scrappnmom2il Said:
OK. So, I'm piping in on this. I have heard a lot about the ATG's and always wanted to get one, but I need a really good reason to get one. Why the ATG versus the other adhesives like the GlueRiderPro (or whatever the correct name is). Does it hold a bigger roll? I'm just curious. Trying to find a reason to get one and use my coupon. I go through adhesives like I go through water (which is a lot)

Bigger roll, cheaper per roll (and wayyyyy cheaper per inch/yard) and a much stronger hold. If the backing paper breaks you can simply rethread the ATG...not the GGP...as I learned when DS broke one or two (he soon got his own ATG!) About the only advantage of the GGP is the ease of changing the refills, but after a couple of times the ATG is easy, just not as quick.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks Kara - I didn't know they carried it. I almost put the link on the boards, now I won't!

Both the red and pink ATG guns that most scrapbookers use takes the 1/4" tape.

The 1/2" tape goes in the larger guns that are used in frame shops. I'm sure there may be a scrapbooker somewhere that uses the larger 1/2" but it is too large for my ATG or any other that I've seen at crops. Everyone I know uses 1/4".

I'm being careful here because as soon as I say scrapbookers use 1/4" - a scrapbooker will post that thye use 1/2" - I've just never seen a scrapbooker use the ATG gun that takes the larger size.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il

Hmmmmm..... Thanks. Have to wait til next month to buy. I have vowed not to spend any more money this month on scrapbook stuff, except for adhesive. Oh then maybe.....

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06

I have had my ATG for about a month and I have to be honest....I am not really in love with it. I think it is big, bulky and heavy.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to aschlegel06

I was just at Michaels... Still celebrating PayDay-FriDay, and the ATG was really calling my name. It looks so convenient, and handy, and all that- but dangit ithey only had pink ones. And again, I'm not anti-pink- I was raised by hippies and never had any conceot of color/toy gender rules- but I just don't want a pink ATG, lol. Well, at least it would match my Bind-it-All...

I've heard so much love for it- I think this is the first time I've read any complaint about it... I'm just trying to onky buy things I'm sure I will use and love. Seriously, it looks like an LSS up in here!

K

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

I'm not sure they make anything but pink right now. I think that is becasue some of the money may go to breast cancer research. Not sure.

The ATG is a little clumsy and awkward at first. Now the tiny ones just don't feel right to me - not substantial.

I used to get "glue boogers" when I started where the adhesive clumped a little but after a few days that didn't happen anymore.

You have to give the ATG time. I love mine so much I bought a spare one!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I didn't want a pink ATG either. Somewhere around here there's a great post on how to alter the color of your ATG - a trend that started before the pink ATG existed, because people wanted pink ones, and now continued because of all the people who DON'T want pink ones.

Here it is: http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/14358...

Edited by aquabunny on 02-04-12 01:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
Expert
kaybear93 Kathy Hoeppner
In response to aquabunny

I am getting used to it..when I first got it I thought it was big and bulky then the more I use it the more I like it...

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to aquabunny

That is too funny, people coloring it cuz they want it pink, and now not wanting it pink. But supporting breast cancer research is a very important cause to me- my maternal Grandmother went through such a fight (and won!) when I was a little kid.

What a PayDay-FriDay celebration I've had! Now, I have the entire night to work on something and enjoy myself, until this new play I'm stage managing begins technical rehearsal week tomorrow.... Please pray for both my survival and the survival of anyone within my striking distance.

K

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Kory - I know its a lot of pressure Kory, but it sounds like such fun too, and what a feeling of achievment when it all comes together!

A lot of the ladies realy bling up and decorate their ATGs. I haven't yet but some of the them bring ATGs to the crops with sparkles and embellies and all kinds of pretties decorating it.

I'm not sure how comfortable it would be then. One of the ladies said there are some good utube videos showing how to bling up an ATG.

Expert

Mine is "decorated" but mostly it's just some Nebraska Cornhusker stickers I put on my red ATG--even though I rarely see red ones now, I will always know which one is mine! I was at a crop today (hosted by my SU demonstator) and once again I had to give my "why the ATG is so much better and affordable...and no it's not that big once you get used to it" schpeal a couple of different times..."So just go to M's or HL and get one!"

You can still get the red ATG online, but it does cost more than the pink--it's the ATG 714.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I have the GGP and the ATG and use them both ... GGP is way easier to handle and to load, but the ATG is much cheaper, and better for the environment. Sometimes the GGP gets gummed up and then it CANNOT be fixed ... the cartridge just has to be tossed. It took me a while to learn to love my ATG, but now I use it more than the GGP ... I still find the GGP nice to take on (shorter) crops, because it's so much smaller.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to GMFTS

• GMFTS Said:
I try to get mine at one of our lss'. Get a bigger roll and even though it's $5 I don't have to worry about a coupon.

As far as I know, ALL atg comes in 36 yard rolls,,,,,that's 72 feet.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to CommaHolly

I love the ATG. When I saw it in the big box at the store, I couldn't imagine using it. Now I can't stand to be without it. The one thing I would like is a carrying case so the sticky part doesn't touch other things when I take it somewhere. It's rather awkward to take along... making sure the bit of tape showing doesn't stick to other stuff. At home, I can't live without it. I'm a believer!!!!

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
I have the GGP and the ATG and use them both ... GGP is way easier to handle and to load, but the ATG is much cheaper, and better for the environment. Sometimes the GGP gets gummed up and then it CANNOT be fixed ... the cartridge just has to be tossed. It took me a while to learn to love my ATG, but now I use it more than the GGP ... I still find the GGP nice to take on (shorter) crops, because it's so much smaller.

I do the same thing. I started out with teh GGP because I could afford it. (Well if I just got a 50% off coupon and spent an extra $6 I would have saved the money of the GGP in the long run.

I was going through a roll of tape a week in the GGP. Now I go 2 to 3 weeks before changing a roll in the ATG. I can buy two rolls of tape for the cost of one roll on the GGP.

Now I still have and use the GGP. I just take it to my short crops because it is smaller and fits well in my travel gear. I also like that they have the repositionable tape roll so when I do things that I need to play with I just pop in that cartridge and there I go.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to DaNel Hicks

OK. I think you have all convinced me in purchasing one. I'm going to do some research and try getting one at a good price.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• CommaHolly Said:
  • GMFTS Said:

Actually, it's 108 feet per roll. You might be thinking of how the packaging says "72 yards" since there are two 36-yard rolls per box.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Yeahp, I've gotta get one, too. As soon as I'm out of these adhesive dot rollers that I've got right now. I forget what brand they are, but they stick very well, but are so tiny and run out too fast. I swear, I use one roll per page. LoL. I'm probably using too much- I love rolling it on.

Wow, I just went psycho at the new Joann's that opened up!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Its not uncommon for me to go through an entire ATG roll in a 8-12 hour crop. When I'm in mating and gluing mode I can go through a roll in a day, but that's a whole lot better than 4 or 5 tiny rolls in a day, which I've done before.

The $5.00 roll at Michaels is usually the general purpose. The acid free is usually about $9.00 or $10.00 at Michaels which is why it is so much cheaper to buy on line, even with a Michael's coupon.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il

So now I am researching..... what's the difference between the pink one and the 700 (I think) The pink one is an 80. What's the difference? Besides one of them being pink.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

the pink one is smaller, cheaper, and WAY lighter

My friend has the red one and it is super heavy and bulky ... she is used to it, but the pink one is much easier to handle

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose

My first ATG was an off brand that took 1/2" rolls, but it was always breaking the tape and was a pain to reload. I bought a dozen rolls and just put up with the problems until I found a Scotch Brand (pink) at M's on clearance (the box had been opened and the tape taken out) for $7. I ordered another dozen rolls in the 1/4" size, as recommended. I ran out of tape and decided to use the last roll of 1/2" in the Scotch Brand, and, so far, it working fine.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Mother Goose

Thank you! I am really considering in getting one.

Patricia Roebuck
Expert
Patricia Roebuck

I went with this one too because it lasts so long. I use it all the time. I get my refills at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Patricia Roebuck

The one we mostly have around here are identical except some are red and some are pink - they all take the 1/4" tape. Appararently they made red and then went to pink to commemorate breast cancer reearch but they are the same things.

Some of the bigger one are also red but I've never seen a scrapbooker uing the really big 1/2" but it would sure work.

Renbear
Diva
Renbear

Just wanted to put in my input for the fun of it!

I was skeptical when I first heard about the ATG guns. And was really not interested in getting one for a couple of reasons at first: 1) it seemed big and bulky and 2) at the time it could only accomodate 1/2" width tape which was bigger than I wanted to use.

Then one of my friends that I crop with had her's. She had purchased the conversion kit to change it to accommodate the 1/4" tape - but I was till unsure, until she let me use her's and I was surprised at how easily I adapted to its size. But I still hesitated buying one because of the outlay of money for the gun. At that time only the red and yellow ones were available and you had to get them from either online shops that had them or framing supply companies.

Then Scotch came out with the pink one (which I wanted pink anyway) and it was a lot more affordable and already was set for 1/4" tape. So then I did more research.

I found out that one ATG refill is equivalent to 3 Tombow brand tape runner refills. So right there I knew I would be saving a little bit of money. Then my friend told me about a place online that I could order the refills. She and I combine orders when we can because the more refills you buy the less expensive they are. The last order I placed was just for myself and I ended up paying only $1.54 per roll (not including shipping - which wasn't too expensive to ship to me since they're only a state and a half away - which also meant the refills get to me in almost only two working days).

I am very happy with my ATG and use it soooo much. Every once in a while I still use my Tombow tape runner when I need to get into a small or tight place.

Okay...well...that is what I have to say about that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Renbear

$1.54 a roll? Awesome. I think I figured I'm paying $2.07 a roll or $4.17 a box with 2 rolls.

Are you using acid free? If so, that price is amazing!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
the pink one is smaller, cheaper, and WAY lighter

My friend has the red one and it is super heavy and bulky ... she is used to it, but the pink one is much easier to handle

I have both of them, and I can't tell the difference.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
  • GMFTS Said:

Actually, it's 108 feet per roll. You might be thinking of how the packaging says "72 yards" since there are two 36-yard rolls per box.

you are correct,,,,,,,,,

and now you all know I flunked High School Math

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il

SO, where do you find the refills in bulk. That is an awesome prce $1.54 a roll. If it lasts longer it is worth the money. I figure I have a 40% coupon for both J's and M's plus my 15% teachers discount, it may be worth it. But I vowed not to spend anymore money on scrapbooking supplies until next month. But I am running very low on adhesives. Argh!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I was thinking last night - what's a good alternative to the ATG for the left-handed? I write left-handed but do a lot of stuff, including the ATG, with my right hand, but among my five left-handed relatives there's at least one who does EVERYTHING left-handed, and I'm thinking about general accessability issues and wondering if there's a way to make the ATG useable for the thoroughly left-handed.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to aquabunny

Hmmmmm..... my son is left handed as well and he does quite a few things with his right. That's an interesting question about the ATG.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-07-12 09:01 AM

Actually the ATG works just fine for this left-handed person, the only thing is if I'm trying to keep my line of adhesive near the edge of my photo or whatever, I have to kind of lean over it when I'm using it and look more or less straight down on it. Which is not a problem as I mostly scrap standing up anyway.

Renbear
Diva
Renbear
In response to stick

Henri,
The tape I use is "acid neutral" and I haven't had any difficulties with it. Neither has my friend who's been using the tape for a lot longer than I have. We've only had one of our friends who used the gun have difficulty with the tape and it had to do with the paper she was using not her photos, and it turned out that the paper was really really really bad. But that's another story.

The company that I get my refills from does carry the Scotch Gold tape too - but I just remember it not being any less expensive than buying it at M's with the coupon. But then again I haven't looked at it recently because I've been so happy with what I'm using.
If you'd like the link to check it out, just send me a personal message and I'll be happy to share.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Renbear

I would love the link - I'll pm you. Right now I still have a supply (bought 48 rolls) but it won't last forever!

Right now I'm just putting pages together but when i go to a crop and mat and glue all my pages, I can go through a roll or more a day. My next crop is February 24th and 25th.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-07-12 12:13 PM

All - note that you can definitely find off-brands that are very inexpensive, especially if you purchase in bulk quantities. There are several sites out there if you do a google search or something.

However the 3M branded tape does not really come any more inexpensively than at M's with a coupon (assuming it's in stock when you go which at my M's is always questionable). You may be able to knock some pennies off at, e.g. that framing site, if you buy in bulk, or you may get lucky and find it on sale somewhere.

So it's a question of whether you want 3M brand or not. I did a lot of searching to come to this conclusion. That said, if you DO happen to find 3M brand much cheaper, please do feel free to pm me

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Kara - the $2.07 a roll or $4.17 a box (or within a few pennis of that) is Scotch 3M online. I buy a lot at once and it does add up.

My Michaels is about $10.00 a box on Scotch and even with a 40% off - its still around $6.00 a box. That is just 2 much when you look at how many boxes I use.

When I buy 24 boxes - that is a $48.00 savings from Michaels with the 40% coupons. And about a $24.00 savings or more with the 50% coupons.

Some of that goes in shipping but not much. And I haave it when I need it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics