Username Post: Create A Page Mini Album        (Topic#1570271)
New Kid On the Block

I've created a mini album with the "Die Cuts with a View - Lemon Flower" paper collection. It uses a unique design (described more below). Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Check out my video preview on YouTube:
Lemon Flower - Create A Page - Mini Album

The mini album is designed to use smaller paper pads like the DCWV matstacks & K&Company's matpads. Of course larger paper sizes work as well. The Create A Page album design is totally customizable, now with 10 pocket page add on designs. All the instructions are given in the tutorial available on my blog.

www.JAnnBdesigns.com

DO YOU LIKE IT?
YES
NO
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 02-04-12 09:27 PM to 02-04-13 09:27 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

Edited by MissJAnn on 02-04-12 10:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Resident
In response to MissJAnn

This is an awesome idea that was super great when Kathy Orta created it.

I think it is completely wrong of you to sell a tutorial and claim something as your own when it is not. To make the mini and show it off is awesome but to sell a tutorial by another person under your own name is pretty low.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to must_love_paper

can you cite the other tutorial please?

Resident
In response to Seaexplore

http://www.paperphenomenontutorials.blogspot.com/ there is the link to the tutorials Kathy calls it the build a page

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17482411 and this is a link to Kathy teaching it on ustream

she also has a youtube if u want me to find you that link as well

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

thank you.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Seaexplore

This Kathy design.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Wendy C

Not nice at all!! I also think it is completely wrong of you to sell a tutorial and claim something as your own when it is not. To make the mini and show it off is awesome but to sell a tutorial by another person under your own name is pretty low. Clean up on Isle New Kids!!

Homiefromcali1
New Kid On the Block
Homiefromcali1
In response to janetsantolini

I too agree with the ladies here.. It is wrong for you to take credit for something you didn't do.. Why would a company like this let you get away with that is unbelievable

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Homiefromcali1

Agreed with all!

Bug4115
Resident
Bug4115
In response to scrappnmom2il

thanks

FairyFloss0
New Kid On the Block
FairyFloss0
In response to MissJAnn

Oh my this is a real shock. You are claiming this work as yours and it is clearly not. Please give credit to Kathy at Paper Phenomenon for this design. Yes you have made a few very very slight changes but that does not make it yours. For all interested please find the original tutorial for this type of album at http://www.paperphenomenontutorials.blogspot.com.au/

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to FairyFloss0

Interesting this is the OP's first post here and it is to sell something she didn't even come up with. Also interesting is, her web page with her tutorials has the same layout as Kathy's and the prices, etc are the same.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to SoonerT

I watch Kathy's tutorials and I have watched other tutorials where they have sited Kathy's work and have mentioned getting in touch with her about using her ideas, etc.... I think a quick email and edit is all that is needed to 'clean' up this video.

There really isn't any need to be so hateful.

Resident
In response to SoonerT

• SoonerT Said:
I watch Kathy's tutorials and I have watched other tutorials where they have sited Kathy's work and have mentioned getting in touch with her about using her ideas, etc.... I think a quick email and edit is all that is needed to 'clean' up this video.

did you note that in the OP's website she is selling teh tutorial for the mini?

VickieW
Resident
VickieW

I don't think anyone is being hateful.

New Kid On the Block
In response to VickieW

I am surprised that this "Unique" design was originally released by Kathy last year, so if it so unique, isnt it amazing that 2 people could come up with the same design. Give me a break!!

New Kid On the Block

I left her a comment on facebook, and said if I was wrong about the tutorial and album being the same, to please let me know, and she deleted my comment and was banned from her site. I was just asking if I was wrong, did not even mention any names.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to sugarlane

Is anyone else completely weirded out by the fact that several of the people who turned up to call this out have only one post, and that one of them straight-up copy-pasted the text of the original complaint?

Resident
In response to aquabunny

Contact Kathy Orta, and no the amazingness isn't that 2 people could come up with the design, the amazingness is , when my sister purchased the tutorial, after I had purchased Kathy's the only difference in the tutorial was about 5 words and the cover.

I just agree with give credit where credit is due, and in this circumstance credit is not due to the the OP.

Resident

I also find it kind of funny that the OP has not made an apperance to defend "her album" if she is so innocent. You can not tell me she hasn't been checking this

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• must_love_paper Said:
Contact Kathy Orta, and no the amazingness isn't that 2 people could come up with the design, the amazingness is , when my sister purchased the tutorial, after I had purchased Kathy's the only difference in the tutorial was about 5 words and the cover.

I... don't think you caught the sarcasm in sugarlane's post. She followed up the comment about "isn't it amazing" with "Give me a break", to express that no, it isn't amazing and isn't a coincidence.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

• must_love_paper Said:
  • SoonerT Said:

did you note that in the OP's website she is selling teh tutorial for the mini?

I noted that, that is why I said a quick edit could 'clean' up the video. Have you looked on YouTube and seen how many build-a-page videos there are?

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Is anyone else completely weirded out by the fact that several of the people who turned up to call this out have only one post, and that one of them straight-up copy-pasted the text of the original complaint?

TOTALLY!!!!!!

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to VickieW

• VickieW Said:

Imagine that.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to SoonerT

• SoonerT Said:
  • aquabunny Said:

TOTALLY!!!!!! [/quoteP

Oh Yeah! This is too weird and too creepy!

New Kid On the Block

Taking another crafter's creation and claiming it as your own for profit is WRONG! Even if she did not realize this in the beginning she sure knows about it now.

Kathy is not the only crafter she is doing this to. If I'm not mistaken, her heart shaped box (which she is also claiming as her own and selling a tutorial) was created by Beate at Splitcoaststampers.com. sometime around Jan. 17th - 25th. You can see both Kathy Orta's and Beate's tutorials for yourself.

It is not about being "hateful" it is about doing what is right.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to scrapznbratz

Anyone smell that? Smells like fish in here.

I get that people want to call out someone for stealing ideas and profiting off of them, but why create all these rogue profiles and make the same statement over and over? I don't think it's ironic that all these 1-post-newbies are suddenly here.

PaperPhenomenon
New Kid On the Block
PaperPhenomenon
In response to angie girl

Hello All! I am posting not to stir the pot nor to further inflame this situation. I want to thanks those who've supported this issue by chiming in and stating facts. I, as most of the first time posters have posted to voice concern and to alert fellow crafters of this situation. We inform each other of other situtions that impact the crafting community; this is just the same. The OP made her first post here to advertise a project that she is selling and didn't create. She is not sharing her version with the masses she is selling my project and her "version" of my tutorial. I am not one to participate in gossip (althougth I do enjoy a good story :-)) or stir the pot as I stated above, but I will speak upon things which affect me and those I care for. I strongly believe that this is not right - This is not right and she knows it. I have emailed her and she admits to copying verbiage from my blog (that she has now changed) and buying a tutorial that she copied, but she states she only sees similarities. This clearly is BS! What I smell here is BS on the OP part and eveyone here has called her out on it.

Again, thank you to all who chimed in to support me and Miss Beate-(I say Miss as I don't know her personally).

Sorry that one of my very few post here had to be this one. Sorry that most of you will know me because of this post, but I just had to come in and say thank you and to let the residents of this forum know that I mean no disrespect by this post. Also, I am sure that the other 1st time posters don't either.

Excuse any typos -- I have a fat finger on my Iphone- LOL

Everyone have a great evening and Happy Scrappin!

New Kid On the Block

Angie girl,

You might want to get that smell checked.

What in the world do you mean "rogue profiles?"

YES I just signed up today after seeing for myself what was happening with this woman. I made sure I checked all of the tutorials involved as well as made sure that she was not just claiming these projects as her own but also charging people for the tutorials.

The people on this site have every right to state their opinion about this matter whether it is their first post or not. It's okay to disagree with other's opinions but check your facts before you make uninformed comments.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

rogue profiles=making an alternate profile to post under without anyone knowing their identity

I do not think it's ironic that 5 people made this thread their very first post. Most times, it's obvious that a handful of people have made an account to agree or not without it being known who they are. That's a little odd for such a large forum, so yes, there is a component of this thread that is rather fishy...as in there is an odd air about it.

For the record, I totally agree that the idea of stealing and profiting from someone else's creation is horrible. My point is not disputing with the op, just pointing out an observation.

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to SoonerT

• SoonerT Said:
  • VickieW Said:

Imagine that.

No one has been hateful or snarky. Just stating facts and observations.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to VickieW

If you liked the copied version you should really check out Cathy's original. Her work is much nicer, normally I wouldn't say that about another crafter but since she is knowingly copying Cathy's work and selling as her own I don't feel bad.

FairyFloss0
New Kid On the Block
FairyFloss0
In response to CorrieW

Rogue profile probably does exist in many instances but I can assure you in my case I did not make a post under a different name so no one knew who I was. I am not a forum type person but when I saw this shocking outright theft of a crafter who I highly respect and another that deserves the credit as well I had to post to let others know that they are been ripped off by an unscrupulous crafter. The longer the people who purchased her so called tutorial think she is the crafter of such wonderful pieces the longer it takes for them to find the real crafters that made the projects.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

• scrapznbratz Said:
Taking another crafter's creation and claiming it as your own for profit is WRONG! Even if she did not realize this in the beginning she sure knows about it now.

Kathy is not the only crafter she is doing this to. If I'm not mistaken, her heart shaped box (which she is also claiming as her own and selling a tutorial) was created by Beate at Splitcoaststampers.com. sometime around Jan. 17th - 25th. You can see both Kathy Orta's and Beate's tutorials for yourself.

It is not about being "hateful" it is about doing what is right.

I agree on the point about doing what is right but letting a person know that you disagree or you think they may have 'forgotten' to give credit where credit is due can be done without being hateful.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to SoonerT

BTW! I enjoy what Kathy does, I have watched several of her tutorials. I think she does a good job of teaching her craft.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to SoonerT

I agree with Angie. Something is 'odd' about this whole thing...

Scraplifting someone's layout, posting it as your own, and 'forgetting' to give credit is one thing... excusable and forgivable, in my opinion.

But, taking another person's idea and work and SELLING it, is completely wrong! It's not a matter of simply 'forgetting' to give credit. How are you supposed to give credit? "This is Kathy's idea, but I'm selling it to you to make a profit." ???

MoniL
MoniL 
Guru
MoniL
  • MoniL on 02-09-12 10:51 AM

• FairyFloss0 Said:
Rogue profile probably does exist in many instances but I can assure you in my case I did not make a post under a different name so no one knew who I was. I am not a forum type person but when I saw this shocking outright theft of a crafter who I highly respect and another that deserves the credit as well I had to post to let others know that they are been ripped off by an unscrupulous crafter. The longer the people who purchased her so called tutorial think she is the crafter of such wonderful pieces the longer it takes for them to find the real crafters that made the projects.

i just have to explain why these are looking like "rouge profile" and confusing most of us - if you were a "lurker" that's been reading the boards for a while and just had to jump in, for the first time, to stand up for someone the date that you joined would not reflect a current date but an older one (like the op's joined date). i think most of us find it hard to believe that on the day you decided to join this particular community (when there are hundreds of them out there) you found such an objectionable post that you knew so much about. i have never heard of any of the three ladies mentioned before (but that does not surprise me since i've been away for several months) and i'm sure that i'm not the only one. so that is why when all of these things considered, it makes people confused and say "rouge profile".

now back to my regularly scheduled posting...

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to MoniL

Also, I don't agree with the OP selling the product as her own. My point is and has always been that pointing it out could have been done differently like sending a private message.

I did see a tutorial on YouTube where a lady said that she was using one of Kathy's ideas and checked with Kathy about credit and changing some of the techniques but I don't think she was selling the tutorial or any kits.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SoonerT

• SoonerT Said:
My point is and has always been that pointing it out could have been done differently like sending a private message.

I disagree that this should have been handled solely over PM - it was important to air publicly the fact that it was stolen work, being presented as the OP's own for the purpose of making profit. If it were a case of scraplifting I would agree that a private message would be an appropriate way to handle it, but this is something more than that, and though I wouldn't have bought the tutorial either way, people who are inclined to buy such things have the right to make a fully informed decision about whether to buy a fraudulently presented product.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

• must_love_paper Said:
This is an awesome idea that was super great when Kathy Orta created it.

This is a good way to inform people that there may be fraud committed so that they will be able to make a well informed decision of whether they want to buy it or not.

I think it is completely wrong of you to sell a tutorial and claim something as your own when it is not. To make the mini and show it off is awesome but to sell a tutorial by another person under your own name is pretty low.

This is unnecessary. In my mind, practically calling people a low life for something is rude and hateful.

I stand by what I said, people do not have to be rude or hateful to help others make an informed decision about a product.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • SoonerT Said:
My point is and has always been that pointing it out could have been done differently like sending a private message.

I disagree that this should have been handled solely over PM - it was important to air publicly the fact that it was stolen work, being presented as the OP's own for the purpose of making profit. If it were a case of scraplifting I would agree that a private message would be an appropriate way to handle it, but this is something more than that, and though I wouldn't have bought the tutorial either way, people who are inclined to buy such things have the right to make a fully informed decision about whether to buy a fraudulently presented product.

THIS. It needs to be a public thing that this is copied work...otherwise it would have sat here on the boards for people to buy her tutorials without knowing it.

Leaving everything to PM's is like texting a bank robber to let him know it's illegal without calling the police.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I don't think there was anything rude about pointing out the situation. It's RUDE to steal someone's work and SELL it.

And.... we don't know that someone didn't PM the original poster. She hasn't been back here to comment, explain, or defend herself.

What I don't understand is why this thread is still here? It's against the forum rules to advertise or sell or post links to other sites that sell.

From what I can tell...
The original poster took someone's project, made her own tutorial, is selling it, and
then posts the link here in the forums (which is a violation of the rules).

Must be the FULL MOON!

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Bxr-Linda

The full moon? Not again, that could explain the students behavior today .

You guys, I am NOT saying it is rude to point it out, I AM saying that people don't have to get rude to point it out. Really? Is it that hard to understand? Point it out already but don't practically call them names.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SoonerT

You said it could have been done by private message, and several people have disagreed very politely with that sentiment.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to aquabunny

With all due respect, and in the nicest possible way...

just because something sounds rude to you does not mean it sounds rude to someone else.

And frankly, when someone is basically stealing and pawning off others' ideas as their own for money they don't deserve to be handled with kid gloves. Sorry.

New Kid On the Block
In response to SoonerT

All who are concerned with sign up dates and # of posts:

I did not just happen to find this post. I followed it from another site where this was brought to my attention. Like I said before, I checked my information BEFORE I posted anything. I signed up because I truly believe this woman is wrong & I gave enough info. so others can check for themselves. I think that it is important to clarify that serveral people tried to let the OP know what was going on, but she deleted their posts and blocked comments. So we came here to share our opinions and spread awareness.

Did those of you who are concerned about sign up dates fill out more information than me when signing up? Are you telling me there is a rule about people reading this forum (lurking)without posting? Is there a certain # of posts that everyone must make before they can state their opinion or give information on this forum (even if Sooner T doesn't agree with how it was said)? Which one of you gets to make these decisions?

It's pretty disappointing that anyone would put so much focus on "lurking" and creating "rogue profiles" and not on what has happened to the true creators of these projects. The info. has been given. It can be easily checked.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• scrapznbratz Said:

It's pretty disappointing that anyone would put so much focus on "lurking" and creating "rogue profiles" and not on what has happened to the true creators of these projects. The info. has been given. It can be easily checked.

I don't think anyone was putting 'so much focus' on that. It was simply an observation and aside.

You can imagine how it may appear a bit unusual to see so many new people suddenly posting for the first time on a somewhat controversial subject.

Your post clarified what I suspected---- this was brought to the attention of others, who joined and posted here.

No harm done!
Welcome to scrapbook.com! Hope you stay a while. There really ARE some great people here.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

• scrapznbratz Said:

I did not just happen to find this post. I followed it from another site where this was brought to my attention. Like I said before, I checked my information BEFORE I posted anything. I signed up because I truly believe this woman is wrong & I gave enough info. so others can check for themselves. I think that it is important to clarify that serveral people tried to let the OP know what was going on, but she deleted their posts and blocked comments. So we came here to share our opinions and spread awareness.

Did those of you who are concerned about sign up dates fill out more information than me when signing up? Are you telling me there is a rule about people reading this forum (lurking)without posting? Is there a certain # of posts that everyone must make before they can state their opinion or give information on this forum (even if Sooner T doesn't agree with how it was said)? Which one of you gets to make these decisions?

You obviously are here for more than just one supporting post. I'm glad you're here, welcome, please stay awhile.

Just don't take what I pointed out personally, please. There were several others that made this thread their first thread to post in after joining. 4 others to be exact. It was in no way singling you out. I'm sorry you might have took it that way, that was not the intention.

There has not been a big deal made out of it. I made an observation, I pointed it out, and then when someone (you? can't remember) asked for clarification, I provided it. That's all. No focus. Please understand that many threads on these forums, especially the controversial ones, will change topics astray from the OP many times before dying. You'll even see controversial topics change into 'cake or pie?' or 'how do you like your toast?' before they're buried in the masses of dead threads.

Again, welcome. Glad you found us.

AndreneSmith
New Kid On the Block
AndreneSmith

• angie girl Said:

Leaving everything to PM's is like texting a bank robber to let him know it's illegal without calling the police.

Nice analogy, angie girl

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to AndreneSmith

Thanks, but I didn't come up with it.

FairyFloss0
New Kid On the Block
FairyFloss0

I am one of those first time posters due to this post on these forums. I like others have probably followed it here from another site. I will admit that until now I had not visited this site and did not know of its existence as like I said I am not a forum type person. However I have been following Kathy for sometime now and joining in on many of her Ustream tutorials. Her work is fantastic and I highly respect her creativity and sharing. I felt compelled to post for the first time here as I said to let this person know that what she is doing is now known and its time to fix it.
I have been an artist/crafter for over 30years now and I have never and could never even contemplate doing what this person is doing. I tried to let her know on her YouTube and Facebook pages that this was indeed someone else's work and she deleted my comments and banned me from commenting again hence I found my way here. Anyway like I said I had my say on this matter and that's all I wanted. I don't lurk on any forums, in fact I think I am a member on this, Kathy's and one maybe two more in total that I would visit as finding time for reading all the posts etc takes time away from other things I need to do.
I am happy that out of this terrible situation however I have indeed found this site. It does just show that good things can come out of bad sometimes I suppose.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics