Username Post: When do you toss a scrap?        (Topic#1572993)
LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC

I know there are tons of things you can do with scraps, but when (or, how small) is it ok to let go? My scraps are getting out of control. Perhaps I should make some cards.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to LesleyC

i don't ever let go! lol, i have old pickle jars that i put any small unusable scraps in according to color and once i get a good collection I am going to make paper. I have not tried it yet, but i have read a bit and it seems workable.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Rushli

Cards are great scrap-user-uppers! I keep my scraps by size (S,M,L) in IRIS cases, and I don't keep any scrap that's too small to punch. Of course, I AM overwhelmed by small scraps now but it hurts too much to purge!!

carbphrek
Idol
carbphrek
In response to Rushli

When I'm tired of looking at it or I keep passing it by for other scraps. I get hand-me down scraps from about 7 other scrappers, some scraps are not my style so I pass them down to my boys bins.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-28-12 09:44 AM
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:
i don't ever let go! lol, i have old pickle jars that i put any small unusable scraps in according to color and once i get a good collection I am going to make paper. I have not tried it yet, but i have read a bit and it seems workable.

That is a great idea! I have been wanting to make paper for at least 15 years- have books etc about it...and boy do I have lots of little scraps.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to GMFTS

If it cannot be made into a 4X6 mat or a 1x12 strip it goes in the trash. From past experiences, I know I will not use them. I cut all of my scraps into mats and keep them in a flat box that I can see easily. I use them up that way.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:

Ditto! I don't have the little pieces in pickle jars, but I do have them in a bag to make paper with someday.

I can use even a 1x1 piece for cricut cuts with the help of a little painters tape. Why cut into a 12x12 when all I need is a .5 x .5?

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-28-12 10:59 AM
In response to pugs223

I have a cuttlebug, which is the most awesome thing ever for using scraps. I can use a scrap the size of my thumbnail to cut a letter as part of a title.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

I make flowers, banner pieces, cut squares or punch circles with scraps.

I need to remember to look thru my scraps before I start cutting little strips of paper for layouts/cards.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to J-M

Yep, I keep tiny scraps, they're often put to good use in my Sizzix machine.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I'm afraid I'm pretty wasteful....I keep pieces big enough to use as a mat or big enough to die cut/punch, maybe 3 or 4 inches...toss everything else. It goes into our shredder and gets recycled, though!
I just can't be bothered to keep every tiny little piece. A cluttered space bothers me more than throwing stuff away....big organizer here!

I made paper with my son at the Toronto Science Centre last winter....it is a lot of fun. In fact, I kept the piece of paper we made and am going to use it in a LO....
Alison

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to kiyawinn

I have a hard time throwing away anything lol. Im not the best person to ask.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mia1979

I tend to be more on the wasteful side. I have a bin of scraps - its about 2' tall and its nearly full so I don't need to keep tiny pieces.

I think 4 x 6 is about the minimum for me.

The bin gets full every year and I find someone to give it to and then I start over. I know a lot of cardmakers and they love to get these scraps.

Since I moved the bin under my scrap desk I am using them more. Mostly I use them with my Slice for letters or to make mats.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Henri Jean

I throw out anything I can't cut into a 2x2 piece.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I used to be very frugal but the scraps piled up so fast I had to start culling out the small stuff. I don't make a lot of cards so if it's smaller than say 4 x 6 it's history unless it's very special paper.

However I just got this button punch that embosses so I must just start punching out all my smaller scraps and saving the "buttons".
Marvy Uchida - Clever Lever Craft Punch - Silhouette and Embossing - Buttons - .75 Inch and 1 Inch

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sonsie

That button punch is adorable! I could keep a jar with an assortment of button styles and colors if I had that punch!

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Sonsie

just added to my wish list! TFS

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to Rushli

I am so glad you asked this question! So many great responses and I am glad to know I am not alone wondering what and how to save these little leftovers!

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to mj scrappin'

2x2 is my smallest. When the scrap drawer is full, I work on cutting diecuts and making cards. Then I work on filling up the drawer again!

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to JustJenScraps

I keep them as small as 1x1 (because I use them for inchies lol)

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to Sonsie

Ohhh I want that punch. I own very few (and I mean like 5) punches but that one is really cool. I could definitly use up some scraps with that. I try to reuse most my scraps, but they've got to stay down on my cricut mat and be able to be cut from that.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to mstasha

Love that punch... I keep it all and that is the first place I look when I have to make an embellishment, flowers, or a background for journaling. I can't part with them. I am taking a cardmaking class on Sunday, so I could use more of them up.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scrappnmom2il

I like the scraps to be about 1x3 but if I have an abundance of a solid color I toss them.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Sonsie

• Sonsie Said:

However I just got this button punch that embosses so I must just start punching out all my smaller scraps and saving the "buttons".
Marvy Uchida - Clever Lever Craft Punch - Silhouette and Embossing - Buttons - .75 Inch and 1 Inch

I need this, perfect for scraps!!!

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
I like the scraps to be about 1x3 but if I have an abundance of a solid color I toss them.

That's what I keep too.
Love that punch!!!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to tinadn

Am I the only one who doesn't keep scraps? They go in my trash can...

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to t-scraps

You guys are killing me. Send me your scraps!

I made this banner with scraps -

and these flowers with scraps -

Stop the madness!

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to kelseymel

Those are beautiful!

I've been saving scraps that are at least 1" wide. I'm not picky about the length. I figure if I can get a 3/4" punched hole, it's worth it. I'll use it for *something*.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to LesleyC

Those flowers are a GREAT use of scraps!! TFS!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Melissa - I'm so impressed with your use of scraps. Beautiful!

JL56 
Tenant
  • JL56 on 03-30-12 12:38 PM
In response to SQ Mandi

Oh ! I need those punches, I wonder if I can get them here in thze UK.

JL56 
Tenant
  • JL56 on 03-30-12 01:28 PM
In response to JL56

I pass a lot of my scraps onto the reception class at the school I work at for cutting and sticking.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
You guys are killing me. Send me your scraps!

I made this banner with scraps -

and these flowers with scraps -

Stop the madness!

Nice, very nice. How did you make the flowers?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • kelseymel Said:

Nice, very nice. How did you make the flowers?

It's funny you should ask, since I have a handy dandy tutorial right here on my blog !

(And THAT, my friends, is how you pimp your blog.)

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kelseymel

Thank you, off to check it out.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to pugs223

Gosh-I'm such a paper horder. I have 3 big Rubbermaid drawers filled with large scraps and one 3 drawer thingie with small scraps. Unless I hate the paper I save it no matter how small..the bitty pieces are about 1x1

LOVE that button punch!

Great flowers Melissa-gotta try those

Tenant
In response to kelseymel

Those flowers are so pretty. Can I ask how you made them? They are certainly a great idea for scraps.

Debra

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to SQ Mandi

I want to buy some more punches so that those scraps that have been hanging around "FOREVER can be used on a future card or layout.
I hate throwing out scraps because i know how much paper can cost.

you should see me get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to SQ Mandi

For me I go by my smallest punch/die cut... so about 1 inch. Anything smaller gets tossed.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Debra Murdock

• Debra Murdock Said:
Those flowers are so pretty. Can I ask how you made them? They are certainly a great idea for scraps.

Debra

Thank you very much. They are so easy!

I've tried to explain it with words, but it's much easier to look at the step-by-step picture tutorial.

click here

Let me know if you have any questions.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kelseymel

Thanks Melissa!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I love doing circles with my smaller scraps then I use them for embellishments and also for some layouts I saw one the other day that used circles and overlapped them so awesomely I wan tto try that with some of my circles.

daisy2doo
Resident
daisy2doo
In response to SQ Mandi

Please mail to me! LOL

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to daisy2doo

I just took a big bunch of scraps off the top of my unused (ever) cricut imagine and filled an entire old flower container with punched buttons. I feel quite virtuous and thrifty! lol

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to kelseymel

Those are darling! **Stupid newbie question alert** What is the tool you used to curl the pieces? Is it just an awl or a special tool?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to LesleyC

• LesleyC Said:
Those are darling! **Stupid newbie question alert** What is the tool you used to curl the pieces? Is it just an awl or a special tool?

Thanks!

It's a paper piercer, but I've used a toothpick when that paper piercer was hiding from me.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to kelseymel

Love the flower tutorial Melissa

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to prittb

I used scraps for all the Cricut Kate's ABCs images in the book I made for my GGD....can be seen in my gallery.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to dotfree

Hola Ladies,
I just checked back in on Scrapbook after a long absence. I too save my scraps. Anything that can be used as a mat and/or I save in a set of hanging folders labeled for ROYGBIV, B&W, plus patterns. Anything 4x6 or smaller I have a set of the IRIS photo boxes (10 Again for ROYGBIV, B&W & 1 for Patterns), there I put in anything that is 4x6 or smaller that can be used in my die cutter. Anything 1x1 or smaller I make flowers out of, use whatever punch shape (I have waaaay to many) I think I may use in that color;i.e. black-bats for halloween, red-hearts for valentines, green-shamrocks etc. The punches go into a small clear container on my desk and just like searching to the correct embellishment on a page, I always dump this into styrofoam tray I use to keep small bits from escaping the desk top. Give it a quick once over for useful bits and then put it back in the container. I will say that I probably find at least one punch or flower to use on every other LO in there.
The flowers i just put in with the coordinating color of Primas I have.
This saves on paper and embellishments.
The rest I just recycle.

Edited by NoirCat on 04-01-12 07:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to NoirCat

I have a box for scraps and usually when it starts to overflow I go through and get rid of a lot of the older, smaller pieces to make room for new. I have to control it this way or the scraps will take over my scraproom.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to daisy2doo

Here is a link to the layout with the circles

http://media-cache4.pinterest.com/upload/22623558125100 ...

and here is another

http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/22623558125068 ...

Edited by Sneezy1956 on 04-01-12 08:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:

Oh my! Those are adorable....Now I know what I'm going to do....TFS!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to GIGIGI30

no problem glad to help without pintrest I would be lost. I love getting ideas

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Sneezy1956

love the circles!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Rushli

Endless possiblities with scrap... i just have to remember to use them.. I love punching butterflies, fleur di lis, leaves.. bc i use those often. I also just recently was gonna throw a bunch of scrap away. And I cut a bunch of strips of paper like 2, 3 4 or 5 x 12 inches long. And use my ATG to glue small strip of scraps to them.. some straight ... some diangonal and then turned in over and cut off excess paper. It came out really unexpectiably good. :).. They are wonderful for borders. Use 5 of them already. And they were really fun to make while watching TV . :)Will post pic of them and LO used them in ASAP.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to kajunkat

looking forward to seeing them kajunkat

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

Melissa, for some reason I can't comment on your blog, but those flowers are adorable!

I save all my scraps. I use them on cards, I punch shapes out of the smaller bits until I have only "lace" left. That gets thrown away. I did keep a bag of "lace" thinking I'd make paper out of it, but I never got round to it. It got thrown out in the move. I might have another go once we're settled.

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to J-M

• J-M Said:
I have a cuttlebug, which is the most awesome thing ever for using scraps. I can use a scrap the size of my thumbnail to cut a letter as part of a title.

I can put the tiniest piece of paper on my Revolution dies, too, so I keep everything.

The only scraps I throw away are ones that have become ratty/bent looking.

I also use my littlest punches for some of the scraps.

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to SQ Mandi

I am don't throw much out. I can use most color card stock for quilling. If its bigger i can use it to make paper bead or use on cards. I use all scraps.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Stephanie D

i just cut a bunch of circles and then stampe dthem and viola stickers

dew3162
Tenant
dew3162
In response to LesleyC

Honestly, I don't really save any scraps unless they are atleast big enough to mat a photo with. I was in the same boat and had foldes upon folders of scraps and I never used them because when I lived in the states and went to crops, I never took those folders with me and I rarely scrapped at home so it was beginning to be too much. I don't people that won't throw any scraps away though and even have them color coordinated...LOL!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dew3162

I'm on the same page you are. They have to be big enough to mat a photo with or a 12" scrap wide enough to make a border out of.

And I still have a bin of them about 2' high.

1Heart
1Heart 
Veteran
1Heart
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I am with Scrapbook Queen 2x2 for me.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to LesleyC

I'm facing this as well. I don't like thorwing away almost anything. I've been scraping since 2006 and i keep my scraps in a big acordion foldor. but i found out that i barely use the scraps.

this weekend i actally set in front of my computer, looked throgh card idea's as i was pulling out scraps. all scraps. card base and front. i made at least 8 simple one's. and i rarely make any cards as it is! :-)

the reason i can't feel like i can toss them away is because the price. think that i pay at least twice as much as you do - because of the shipping costs....

when i still end up with a banch of strips i offer them for free for starter scrapers.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to SQ Mandi

• SQ Mandi Said:
I keep them as small as 1x1 (because I use them for inchies lol)

I have to sak... how many inchis can you make? :-P

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kitty_wOlf

I have to say that this has been a very good thread - it has motivated me. I still don't save itsy bitsy - it has to be a decent size for me, big enough for a mat or border. Otherwise my stack would fill 10 large bins and would completely overwhelm me.

Anyway, when I do a layout now I put my pictures and embellies or diecuts on the cardstock and before I go to new sheets of cardstock for cardstock for matting or letters, I go to my scraps and often I find exactly what I need. Before my scrap cardstock bin was completely ignored under my desk. Now I go through it and have actually used some of it.

So thank you for motivating me.

I'm also trying to use some of my letter stickers - I have so many sets of them. But I'm getting frustrated with all the sheets with just a few letters on it I've never been able to use. I think I will take them out of the container with all the complete or near complete sets and put them in something else so I quit constantly going through them. I mean, what am I going to use a bunch of q's and v's and x's for? I don't have the heart to throw them out yet.

I'd give them away but I don't think anyone else can use them anymore than I can.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I have the same leftover letter issue as you, Henri! I'm sure we all do actually.

BUT!! You can alter the leftover letters into letters you might need. You can make 2 v's into a w, you can cut the tail from a lowercase q and make it an a or turn it around and make it a b. X's can be cut to make i's or l's or used as a plus sign etc.

Also-- I've seen cards made with letters randomly placed on the base as the background, then decorated on top of that.

Hope that helps!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

It helps except most of the letter stickers I've bought are the puffy kind with dimention so when you cut them they don't look quite right again.

But I really like the plasticy puffy letters.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

Kim, thanks for those great tips on using up odd letters!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to LesleyC

I keep all scraps unless they are too small for my sizzlet letters which are tiny...I paper piece so sometimes a tiny pieces work. I also have punches too. I also make cards. I always look through the scrap drawers when working on something. I keep them in the plastic iris drawers by color.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to anda11

I just made a bacnh of use out of my scraps!

I made like 20 cards, another 4 card fronts, 4 basis for layouts, and made some banners for layouts.....

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to SQ Mandi

I keep any scraps that are big enough to use in my cricut machine or to put on cards. Mine to are getting out of hand and love some of the ideas I've read on here.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics