Username Post: Cost Per Page        (Topic#1573783)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When I was in my local scrapbook store not to long ago I bought really pretty paper and kind of kidded, "This page is going to cost me a fortune with everything on it!"

The owner of the store laughed and said that with her customers the average cost they spend on a scrapbook page was $50.00.

I asked her how you can spend $50.00 on a scrap book page and she said, "Nice paper, a couple sheets of cardstock, maybe more papers, ribbons, flowers, embellies, developing photos. She said it isn't hard to hit $50.00 a page.

I've never done a page that cost anywhere close.

My average page is:

$1.00 cardstock (average becuase I often use 2)
$1.00 patterned paper
$4.50 diecuts if I use them
$ .50 photo developing
$2.00 misc items (sometimes flowers, brads.

That is $9.00 and I normally spend more around $4.00-$6.00 per page. Once in a while I may put $15.00 on a page if I've bought a lot of epensive embellies and flowers, but that is rare.

What do you consider the average cost you spend per page and what have you spent on a really special page where you went crazy to make it beautiful?

Not factoring in Cricuts, cartridges, embossing machines, tools, or any other things - just items you bought and put on the page.

I'm curious about this one - $50.00 sounds like a very high average.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Henri Jean

Probably less than $10. $50 is crazy unless you use several entire packages of embellishments and 10 full sheets of cardstock. There's always leftovers and the leftovers aren't worthless. I used to think it was crazy to spend $4 on rub ons or $5 on brads and until I saw how they last FOREVER and I use them on every single LO.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to runzalot81

I can't imagine spending that much on a page, though I'm sure if you add up ALL the money I've spent on scrapping supplies over the years and divided that by all the pages I've made, it wouldn't be a pretty number

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
I can't imagine spending that much on a page, though I'm sure if you add up ALL the money I've spent on scrapping supplies over the years and divided that by all the pages I've made, it wouldn't be a pretty number

What she said!!

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to madmatter

I would say $4 to $5, if that. I try to stock up on cardstock when it's on sale, same with embellishments.

The store owner must have some clients that have more money they I do. I love scrapbooking, but there is no way I could afford to do it if I spent that much.

Mr Mister
Veteran
Mr Mister
In response to momtokatie

$50 is outrageous. I insist to mrs Mister that I never go over $49 LOL.

Kidding aside, if you do the math on dollars spent on scrapbooking compared to total pages output per year, she may not be far off for some of us. Henri Jean may be an exception to that because she is a lean mean scrappin' machine who probably scraps more in a month than a lot of us scrap in a year and it matches her sense of adventure in life.

Mrs Mister and I buy almost everything at a discount, between the different deals you can find at the chains and some really good stuff on some of the daily deals websites. I also like to make some of my own embelishments so I probably average with the under $5 a page crowd. Having two of us doing this together we are a bad combination in the stores.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mr Mister

I suppose I spend about $5 to 6 average especially when I use a lot of flowers and embellishments but I try to make a lot of my own stuff, my biggest problem is that I never have less than 2 or 3 pieces of patterned paper cut up of course I can get several layouts out of 3 sheets of patterned paper because of how I cut it.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to Sneezy1956

I'd like to see what a $50 page looks like! Does it have diamonds or gold plated embellies on it?!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sneezy1956

$50 a page seems steep. I've gone to crops at scrapbook stores with only pictures and tools in hand. I usually manage 1 layout per hour, and rarely spend over $20-25 for a 6-hour crop. A 12-hour crop probably costs me $30-35 because I will reuse pieces from earlier pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

I thought about that and I think the vintage and heritage pages that are covered in prima flowers and really embellished - I guess I can see how they do it but my top end pages may hit $9.00 or $10.00 but that is rare.

I'm generally in the the $4.00-$6.00 with $5.00 probgably being my average cost.

I will add that I use foreign currency on a lot of mine and I guess I would have to add in the value of the currency but that is one per country.

I laughed in Vietnam when he brought me a piece of currency 20,000 Dong (dong is Vietnamese currency - quit laughing). I hesitate putting a bill in my book that large, then found out it is worth about 90 cents American.

Seems here we are all in about the same range.

One exception - I do buy quite a few full page overlays and those are about $5.00 each so when you add photos and embellies I could hit $9.00 or $10.00.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

Wow, that's crazy!! I like to think I spend about a buck per page! Maybe $2 on some. I buy everything on sale and make most all my own things. So without considering the machines. Dies, adhesives, etc, mine are done pretty cheaply.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to ChansGram

I can't imagine spending $50 on a lo. But then again.... nah! I think I usually spend between $5-10 on a 2 page lo. I buy all my paper on clearance, sale or with a really good coupon. Embellies - same way. Heck, I just got 18 yds of different type ribbon from EBay for $.75 including free shipping. That 's gonna be used for a lot of lo's.

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to scrappnmom2il

• scrappnmom2il Said:
I can't imagine spending $50 on a lo. But then again.... nah! I think I usually spend between $5-10 on a 2 page lo. I buy all my paper on clearance, sale or with a really good coupon. Embellies - same way. Heck, I just got 18 yds of different type ribbon from EBay for $.75 including free shipping. That 's gonna be used for a lot of lo's.

Ditto! I buy card stock when it's on sale at As, buy 3 get 3 free, or I buy the cheap packs at Ms that are like $4 or $5 for 20 sheets. I buy most of my PP packs at Marshalls, TJ Maxx or TM, and embellies, I usually get on clearance or with coupons. Probably the biggest expense on my recent layouts have been 8x10 collages for $3.99. So outside of iphotos, I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $2 or $3 on a layout.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Luvmyfam

Well, lets see. I'm working on one now that is going to cost me some money.

Card stock - 4 sheets @ 50 cents each
Printed Paper 2 sheets @ 95 cents each
Ribbon - 12" @ 1.00 a yard
Flowers @4.00 a package
Charm @ 4.00 a package
3D Stickers @3.50 a package
paint, ink, etc from stash

That's over $16, however I won't use up all the ribbon, flowers or charms in the package and I'll have some scraps of paper left, but I'll be using brads, adhesive, sprays, inks and paint, etc. from my stash. Get's a little pricey dosen't it. Then again, a lot of my pages cost less than a couple of dollars, so I guess it evens out.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to LesleyC

I have tons of cardstock - literally tons of it! But, seems I never have the right shade so I do run to Michaels frequently to match the color in the photo or embellie or paper. And I pay more for it that way. But if I can use what I have at home that I bought on sale, I always do.

And when I find a cardstock I like I always buy 20 sheets - don't know why. Yes I do know why. Sometimes I will use them consistenly through a country - like all of China was yellow gold with red mats. So many flowers, especially in Beijing were red and yellow.

If I have the right color cardstock and enough of it, I use what I have here. But I frequently have to buy more to get enough of the right color. And since I can't match the cardstock I have at home (may have bought it anywhere, even another state) I have to buy enough for my entire project with plenty left over.

That is my biggest thing I run to the store for at the last minute. Needed 2 sheets of nice white bazzil cardstock last week so I bought 20 and I've used part of it already.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That's kind of how I feel about it too Kaye. It just shocked me when the lady at the scrapbook store said $50.00 a page average.

I was curious if anyone was really paying that! I just can't imagine.

Even when I put over $10 in a page - some of the stuff is usable again becuase some pieces are left - like brads.

My biggest expense are all the little diecut titles I buy. I love those things.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Mother Goose

I spend practically nothing... too bad the pocket book does not reflect that... those darn tools, inks, paints, stamps and such are the spendy thing. (at least they can be reused over and over!) I make my flowers, buy clearance buttons, brads and such and paint them, save boxes to use as chipboard, save fun materials to paint on/over/with and, of course, use coupons!

put me down for $2 as my mean (most often used) and $5 is my typical high amount. Although I have found I enjoy using the nicer cardstock, so I might have to bump it up another $0.50 lol

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli

• Henri Jean Said:
That's kind of how I feel about it too Kaye. It just shocked me when the lady at the scrapbook store said $50.00 a page average.

average means that sometimes they can spend even more to make up for when they spend less! crazy people

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Rushli

I agree that $50 is a lot. My range is probably $6-18CAN, with the average about $10.

For instance:

2-4 pieces of cs - $0.75/each
2-5 peices of PP - $0.99 - $2/each
Some kind of embellies - $2-6/each
Then adhesive, stickles, brads, ect - $0.50-$1
Photo printing (at home) - $0.45/each

Maybe she's factoring in time and wear and tear on equipment or something....

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Scrapbook Queen

well if we take everything we purchase and divide it between the number of pages we've completed,

ummmmmmmm

I'm DEEP DOGGIE DOO DOO!!!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Ohio4HMom

I think you have to factor in the cost of stamps, dies, inks, stencils, stickles etc...
I know we use them on more than one page but it is still a cost of doing pages.
This was actually a topic on the paperclipping roundtable podcast last week....
Apparently the average 5 years ago was 9$ or something like that (don't remember exactly what they said and I'm too tired to go back and listen to it again). One of the guests said she was currently working on a $20. page and her average was probably around $12.
I personally don't see how anyone could do a page for only $1 or $2.....especially if you really count all that goes into it, unless you are only really using a couple sheets of paper.
My patterned paper can cost that for one sheet!
I think we may all be spending more per page than we think. I think the tendency would be to under estimate the actual cost.
I can't see how anyone could average $50. per page though, unless she said $15 and you heard $50......
Maybe one day, I will sit down and figure out my average but I just can't spend the time right now

Alison

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to kiyawinn

I never spend more then $2.00 per page.Unless a customer request special product. I charge 20 per two page layout. However that $20 also includes my time.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Ohio4HMom

I made a baby album recently for a friend. Including the cost of the album I spent maybe $60-$70. I also used a few papers and embellishments I already had, so maybe $80-$85 worth of stuff (after coupons) to make a 30-page album without photos.

Sadly that included a pack of ribbon I didn't even touch, but that was only about $3 and it's not explicitly baby so I can keep using that normally.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

It was $50.00 - we talked about it specifically.

But I looked through the gallery and some of the heritage and vintage with all the flowers and expensive embellies can get very expenisve.

Some of the ladies use flowers and things that cover the page and each flower is expensive. I can see where those type of pages could get very expensive compared to the type of pages I do.

I am doing a page or two on the Florida Everglades. I bought an adorable punch of an alligator on ebay yesterday. It is for one page and I don't think I will use it again. Very doubtful. So I have to add $8.10 to the cost of that page. I also paid about $4.00 for my title for that page and the rest is cardstock, photo developing and patterned paper.

But my average is still $4.00-$5.00 a page.

The cruise series I'm doing now has a block of velum on each cruise day and it is more than I had thought when I start adding in things like that.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Ohio4HMom

• Ohio4HMom Said:
well if we take everything we purchase and divide it between the number of pages we've completed,

ummmmmmmm

I'm DEEP DOGGIE DOO DOO!!!

THIS!

I don't spend a lot on paper and embellishments, and I don't really use a lot per page. It's the non-consumables that are the biggest cost going by the formula above.

As time goes on and since I've started really looking at other people's work and being introduced to new techniques and products, my cost per page has definitely gone up.

After a quick scan of what is in my gallery, I would say my average cost per page is $2 for consumables on those LOs. This does not include one of my most expensive LOs that was a Christmas present for DH.

However, I haven't uploaded many LOs recently so I would bet those are a little more expensive but probably not over $4-5.

I will continue to ignore the cost factor of cricut, gypsy, cuttlebug, cartridges and dies per page

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to pugs223

Wouldn't it be something to find some magical online calculator that adds up the cost of all the goodies we use? It would be shocking to see it posted beneath each LO.

I'm thinking I spend round about $7.00 per page because I like to embellish. Add in sprays of glimmer mist, paint, glitter glue (like another poster mentioned)... It can get pretty high. I just bought a bottle of Stickles at the LSS a couple weeks ago; decided to slather it onto three flowers I made. It's already half empty and that particular project isn't finished yet!

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:

I personally don't see how anyone could do a page for only $1 or $2.....especially if you really count all that goes into it, unless you are only really using a couple sheets of paper.

I buy packs of paper and cardstock that has 40 to 160 pages in it and get it on sale for $10-13... so assuming the most expensive route I am spending $0.33 a paper. (and my least expensive is $0.06 a paper!!!) I just calculated my spendy cardstock that I got on sale and it was $0.40 a paper. Now, if I ever give in and buy paper on here (brands not available locally) I will be spending A LOT MORE! I use 2 to 4 papers (with left over scraps that go on other pages often) and sometimes throw in some fabric, ribbon, brad or button, and I am sure I easily spend under that $2 amount.

If we started factoring in prices of stamps, inks, embossing, and such, yes, It would be WAY more than $2 a page.

outsidechic
Diva
outsidechic
In response to Rushli

I have to calculate the cost for a square inch of paper and go from there. I tend to use on average 10 different pp's on one layout. but it's not the whole sheet of pp, so i don't think it's fair to give it the $1 value i paid for each sheet of pp. and with tools and ink and spray mists factored in i can see it easily costing $10-$15 bucks a page ... if you bought all the paper new and not on sale and that doesn't count embellishments because seriously i think that is where the industry makes its money. just like amusement parks don't make money on ticket sales its the food and souvenirs that are their money makers. but i'm a cheap scrapper and make my embellishments and cut my letters on my silho ... how to spread the $300 price tag of that baby across all the layouts i've used it on .. hmmm (i have over 300 layouts done since i bought it so what a $1 a page hmmmm

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Ohio4HMom

If you add up all of the embellishments I have forgotten I purchased and the cost of the cartridges I bought for a page...

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to 950nancy

I can't imagine spending $50 on a page unless you count the cost of the cricut cart in it. But I always buy with the thought of having a variety of uses for a cart. Most of my lace, ribbon etc. is either clearance or leftovers from Mom's quilting.

I'd say $2-3 background paper, etc.

$2.00 on cardstock, inks, etc. for cricut cuts.
$.50 on photographs
$1.00 on ribbon, etc.
Even if you prorate the cricut cart (I've way paid off my machine) it still couldn't be more than $10.00.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Ohio4HMom

if people are buying mists and other products and they tell the cashier it's "for a scrapbook page" i can see the cashier getting the wrong impression. a lot of the products are sold in quantity so they are used on multiple LOs. and the cashier probably isnt an avid scrapper and wouldn't know that when we say 'page' we mean one particular LO and the rest for others.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
if people are buying mists and other products and they tell the cashier it's "for a scrapbook page" i can see the cashier getting the wrong impression. a lot of the products are sold in quantity so they are used on multiple LOs. and the cashier probably isnt an avid scrapper and wouldn't know that when we say 'page' we mean one particular LO and the rest for others.

This is kind of what I was thinking, too. Like if you took in a couple of pics that you wanted to scrap and you bought a DCWV paper stack, a pkg of metal alphas, a pkg or two of Thickers, a couple pkgs of flowers, a couple pkgs of TH embellies, a couple of bottles of GM, a couple pkgs of ribbon and trim, some brads and a new punch, and you showed the cashier your pics and said you were getting this stuff so you could make a page with the pics.....well, obviously you aren't going to use EVERYTHING that you just purchased all on one page, but you did buy them so you could make the page.

I know when I actually make it to the LSS, I usually end up spending around $50 for each trip. However, I don't put $50 worth of stuff into/onto one page...it would be fun to try to do it, though, if someone else would foot the bill!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to outsidechic

OOH this is a good topic of discussion!

My two cents....I think the main thing we are missing is this is a Scrapbook store! She is referencing the cost of a page based on purchases in her store not dollar stores or big box. My LSS stocks the most current and the more expensive items on the market.

I know I have put together a two pager using all BG from a line and it was close to $30. I bought it all from my LSS.

I think I would die if I realized one page cost me $50 but, I do agree with the person who said to get a fair read of cost one would have to factor in pro rated cost of tools, like die cutters,inks,stamps, etc. Even if you didn't use the whole jar of glitter you still bought it, question is how many pages did you get out of it?

It would be interesting to see those numbers.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Ohio4HMom

WOW!!! $50 a page , I would never scrap if that was my average cost per page. Most times, that is a total purchase for supplies and that purchase will make mini albums, pages, and do some altering.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Ohio4HMom

Probably I will be a bit higher, since prices of card stock and patterned paper are higher here, but I would be surprised if I would spend more than maybe $6 per page. I use a lot of stamps and my pearl pens. It would be hard to calculate how much a drop of that is actually costing me.

I could see if you do use lots of flowers, stickers, brads etc. it could get higher. But I would love a challenge to make a $50 page. I do agree: it would have to include diamonds!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:
  • kiyawinn Said:

I buy packs of paper and cardstock that has 40 to 160 pages in it and get it on sale for $10-13... so assuming the most expensive route I am spending $0.33 a paper. (and my least expensive is $0.06 a paper!!!) I just calculated my spendy cardstock that I got on sale and it was $0.40 a paper. Now, if I ever give in and buy paper on here (brands not available locally) I will be spending A LOT MORE! I use 2 to 4 papers (with left over scraps that go on other pages often) and sometimes throw in some fabric, ribbon, brad or button, and I am sure I easily spend under that $2 amount.

If we started factoring in prices of stamps, inks, embossing, and such, yes, It would be WAY more than $2 a page.

I think mine are close to that.

For example; I've gotten patterned paper at warehouse sales for $1-$2 for 50 sheets; eyelets for $.33 a pack; inks for $1.

This IS a VERY difficult question, and really virtually impossible to figure out.

If you add up everything you've spent, divide by the number of pages you've created,... okay, but... how many MORE pages could you create with the supplies you have? And, do you count the cost of tools (punches, stamps)?

I suppose if you figured you used 3 sheets of expensive cardstock, a few Prima flowers, some bling swirls, a rubon title, chipboard letters... it COULD add up quickly... but I still can't fathom $50 per page!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elsje2

I went into some of my layouts to try to figure out some of the most expensive:

A baby layout has 2 packages of Martha Stewart embellies on it and they were $6.95 each round up:

$14.00 embellies
.50 photo
2.00 carstocks (2)
2.00 patterned paper (it was $1.99)
______
That would make this page $18.50

Another of my more expensive:

$1.50 - for 5 x 7 photo
2.00 - cardstocks
1.00 - patterned paper
6.00 - 2 bling letter packages
6.00 - 2 bling flourish packages
_____
16.50 - materials in page

In another book I found a page:

$15.00 - 3 Jolene's palm trees/coconuts. This could have been as much as $20.00
5.00 - overlay
1.00 - patterned paper
1.00 - photo developing
______
$22.00 - possibly as high as $27.00

I didn't realize that untnil I went back and looked through some of my books, and these 3 examples are out of my latest books!

Still thought, my average is $4.00-$6.00, often way less. I'm sure a lot of mine are $2.00-$3.00 pages but before today, it never occured to me that I had put as much as $30.00 into a page but I have a feeling I will find quite a few of those pages in my book where I let the costs get away from me without thinking.

I have so many embellies and so much paper here, some I pay $2.00 a sheet. It doesn't feel like I'm spending when I just pull from my stash. But, I have already spent the money on the item.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-16-12 11:58 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

My first scrap project was an album for ds: I thought it would be a great affordable Christmas present: how wrong I was you all know.

At that time I tried calculating the cost of each page etc...I don't remember what I came up with but even then with few tools, inexpensive papers and making almost all my own embellies I know that the amount was far more than I thought.

I figure that a true per page total would include all costs including use of tools etc. (please don't start talking depreciation etc ) but all I can think of now is:
Cardstock .65
Lace 2.50
Photo printing .50

Joy of scrapping a memory? Priceless.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-16-12 11:59 AM

• Henri Jean Said:
I went into some of my layouts to try to figure out some of the most expensive:

A baby layout has 2 packages of Martha Stewart embellies on it and they were $6.95 each round up:

$14.00 embellies
.50 photo
2.00 carstocks (2)
2.00 patterned paper (it was $1.99)
______
That would make this page $18.50

Another of my more expensive:

$1.50 - for 5 x 7 photo
2.00 - cardstocks
1.00 - patterned paper
6.00 - 2 bling letter packages
6.00 - 2 bling flourish packages
_____
16.50 - materials in page

In another book I found a page:

$15.00 - 3 Jolene's palm trees/coconuts. This could have been as much as $20.00
5.00 - overlay
1.00 - patterned paper
1.00 - photo developing
______
$22.00 - possibly as high as $27.00

I didn't realize that untnil I went back and looked through some of my books, and these 3 examples are out of my latest books!

Still thought, my average is $4.00-$6.00, often way less. I'm sure a lot of mine are $2.00-$3.00 pages but before today, it never occured to me that I had put as much as $30.00 into a page but I have a feeling I will find quite a few of those pages in my book where I let the costs get away from me without thinking.

I have so many embellies and so much paper here, some I pay $2.00 a sheet. It doesn't feel like I'm spending when I just pull from my stash. But, I have already spent the money on the item.

Wait a minute Henri! Don't you have to include the cost of the trip when you are scrapping your travel pages? Yours must be in the $100s each.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

I sure agree with you - joy of scrapping a memory? It is priceless.

It was a rude awakening to figure out I've spent over $20 and possibly $30 on pages and they are not nearly as flowery or decorative as the heritage pages and really embellished pages. Now I do believe you can go to $50 on some.

And as others have said, to get a true cost, the price of the tools, distress ink, pens and other supplies really needs to be factored in.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Very funny! Except we travel cheaper than I scrapbook I think!

I think its obvious that some people really are careful to buy on sale and use coupons and shop wisely as well as make a lot of their own embellies.

Then there are the ones like me who don't do such a good job of any of that. If I have a coupon, I use it, but if I don't, I don't let it stop me. Not a smart way to shop at all.

I need to learn to cut my costs and start being more responsible with what I spend per page.

Better yet, I need to stop shopping so much and using all the stuff I have here. I have enough to easily last 4-5 years, including adhesives.

But since the items are paid for, the cost per page is still up there!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

I agree it is really a hard thing to figure, but I think I read in the first post, not to include tools, machines etc.
So, I just browsed my gallery and I am still thinking I am at a couple bucks per LO. I am cheap! I don't buy unless it is on sale or with a coupon, period.
And even factoring in the likes of the glimmer mists, inks, punches, whichever, I'm still getting many many LO's out of those items.
I pay $7 for a bottle of glimmer mist, make at least 50 flowers with that bottle, I've only added .14 to my LO total per flower.
Like mention above, paper pack bought on sale for $10 has 160 sheets, just a bit over .6 added to the LO, etc.
I buy all my card stock at Joann's when they have their 6/96 sale, last time I bought 300 sheets! So add .16 to the LO.
I also will rarely buy any embellie type item that I can't get more than 1 LO out of. And if I do, it has to be on clearance!
For me, the expense of this hobby comes from the amount of supply I like to have on hand ( cause ya just never know when your going to something!) and the need to have new stuff. ( like when a new punch comes out, I "need" it, even tho I have 50 of them sitting on the shelf!
HJ, this was a very interesting thread, thanks for posting.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

Trish - I need to hang out with you and other scrappers like you!

But my average at $4.00-$6.00 isn't bad. Not really. But the few expensive ones (to me) are pretty bad. Didn't make me happy when I added it up.

The ones I'm doing now have photos, cardstock and I'll add patterned paper, they are probably $2.00 pages each so that isn't too bad.

I did buy some paper packs (shrinkwrapped) of black cardstock at Michaels and it was decent quality and I saved a lot of money that way.

Then when Paper Studio had a 40% or 50% sale last year I bought 6 packages of thier black cardstock. I hate it - it is awful. It cuts jagged on the edges, not nice a smooth like the nice cardstocks. It even feels more fiberous and flimsy.

I have to file the edges of every piece I cut because it is so ragged looking. I cut other paper and it is smooth as glass on the edges.

I changed blades - no difference. The Paper Studio black paper pack just isn't working for me. I'm down to one more pack - then I'm going back to the paper packs of solid cardstock at Michaels.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

This is a very interesting thread.

By the time I retired my 1st Fiskars 12 inch cutter and CM small trimmer, they were basically free to use - even not factoring in depreciation I'm happy to say the Fiskars is still being used by my dad to cut his food saver bags.

I know I've spent money on everything I have, but when I am using items that over 5 years old, those feel free to me. The items are being used and I'm not shopping/spending more money.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

This is interesting to think about isn't it?

What about the album itself? If you purchase a premium album for $30ish. You might get a discount but still, you got to have to book to put everything in!

In anycase, with all of my tools I was figuring that my scraping was pretty expensive per page. But in addition to what you said Henri Jean, about sraping a memory being priceless...it's a really fun hobby and artist outlet that to me, makes it worth it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

Never thought about the album - or the protectors!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

This is so interesting to me!

I remember standing at CKC Tulsa last year in the Technique Tuesday booth, debating which of 3 stamp sets I wanted, since they were all $14.99, which I thought was high (especially since I'm used to going to M's or HL with 40% off coupons!). I heard a lady nearby ask her friend, who was apparently discussing what I was thinking, "how often will you use it? If only a time or two, then don't get it ... if you'll use it all the time, then it's worth it." I got all 3 and didn't bat an eye, and have used all 3 sets over and over and over.

So .... yes, sometimes scrapbooking can be expensive, but I would have to factor the cost of that stamp set over the layouts and cards I've used it on ... and it would end up being pennies per use.

I do the same thing when looking through the Silhouette Store, even though the shapes are 99 or 50 cents - is it worth it? How often will I use it? I tend to be a frugal scrapper ....

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to tanyaham

When I average the cost of my LOs, they'd probably be pretty inexpensive - until you added in the tools and carts and time. If I charged for my time, I couldn't afford myself! And I was dying for a Cricut Easter cart and the only one I could find was in the high double-digits. I bought it anyway because I wanted the rabbits so bad. So I'll make cards for next year from it. Just how much do you think those cards are going to cost me? About $12 each. And for the LOs I've done and the total amount spent for everything, I've got the most expensive pages on earth.

I think the lady in the LSS was doing the tool-paper-embellie average.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to meezerpleaser

She said she wasn't but I think maybe the people who gave her their averages were!

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

They were talking about this on this week's pod-cast of the round table.
it's amazing how mach people can spend. I try to buy cheaper packs of cardstock and paper and use those.
i tend to use 2-3 cardstock-papers.
a roll of atg goes a long way... like at least 20 layouts.

one of the things said on the show was said but the husband of the host- and he said that it's basicly art and you don't see very many painters tring to see how mach each painting costs them...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Ohio4HMom

If that was the rate per page, scrapbooking would only be for the rich and famous... or just the RICH. Makes me wonder how pricey stuff was in that store and if they would be able to stay in business. Yikes.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Their prices are like any other local store - expensive but they are small and have to sell a lot to stay in business.

I crop there occasionally and the ladies I crop with do not spend that much per page.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312

Wow- this is fascinating! I have a very simple style and don't use many embellishments, so my page average is around $2 including photo developing. I can't even imagine what a $50 page could look like.

Cindy

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I went through and looked too the most I could figure spending on a page was $30 and it had 5 sheets of pattern paper cut up 3 sheets of card stock, 3 flower sprays with about 5 flowers in each spray and several stick pins. So I'm sure I have some pages that are close to the 50 if I counted tools, glue, cricut and other items.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee

I just finished a mini and matching cigar box for a swap. I used the Prima Pixie Glen collection - stamps, tiles, flowers, chipbord and paper. Add in the box, cardstock, lace, misc embellishments, shipping and tax and that sucker cost me over $50.00!

I do have some of the paper left and a handful of other things but bottom line is that most of the leftovers will just sit in a drawer for months, if not years. I just hope my partner likes it and doesn't throw it away! BTW I have the mini posted on my blog under Diary of a Swap and will be posting the cigar box on thursday. Anyone want to see a $50+ mini?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to theellenbee

From this thread I've learned the costs do creep up.

Most of us scrap within a reasonable price range but some of us, maybe more than a few throw in a few high dollar pages once in a while. Maybe not $50.00, but still high enough that you wouldn't do it very often.

Elen - I bet the mini and cigar box are lovely!

Jane, when I hit the cricit, cartridges and other tools in the mix, I probably have a few buzzing around the $50.00 range too.

I didn't expect that. Maybe I'd better go bury my head back in the sand.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Wouldn't it be something to find some magical online calculator that adds up the cost of all the goodies we use? It would be shocking to see it posted beneath each LO.

I'm thinking I spend round about $7.00 per page because I like to embellish. Add in sprays of glimmer mist, paint, glitter glue (like another poster mentioned)... It can get pretty high. I just bought a bottle of Stickles at the LSS a couple weeks ago; decided to slather it onto three flowers I made. It's already half empty and that particular project isn't finished yet!

Oh Heaven's no! Sometimes I don't want to know the truth

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

Now that I've opened this can of worms, maybe I don't really want to know either!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

The can's open....worms are crawling.....

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

THIS is why I save every scrap until I can cut nothing more out of it and it becomes paper dust

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to sbartist

I've got some so old they are turning into paper dust! But I have gotten better about using them!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to sbartist

I havent thought of a cost per page.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to tanyaham

• tanyaham Said:
This is so interesting to me!

I remember standing at CKC Tulsa last year in the Technique Tuesday booth, debating which of 3 stamp sets I wanted, since they were all $14.99, which I thought was high (especially since I'm used to going to M's or HL with 40% off coupons!). I heard a lady nearby ask her friend, who was apparently discussing what I was thinking, "how often will you use it? If only a time or two, then don't get it ... if you'll use it all the time, then it's worth it." I got all 3 and didn't bat an eye, and have used all 3 sets over and over and over.

So .... yes, sometimes scrapbooking can be expensive, but I would have to factor the cost of that stamp set over the layouts and cards I've used it on ... and it would end up being pennies per use.

I do the same thing when looking through the Silhouette Store, even though the shapes are 99 or 50 cents - is it worth it? How often will I use it? I tend to be a frugal scrapper ....

A very good rule to follow, I wish I would do it more often, I have supplies that I just had to have and have used sparingly or not at all .

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

• Henri Jean Said:
I've got some so old they are turning into paper dust! But I have gotten better about using them!

I donate mine to other teachers here at school.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to sbartist

Without thinking I would have told you I couldn't spend more than $2 per page because I buy paper on sale and have my pictures printed with coupons - but those little things like adhesive, ink, embellies really add up.

When I started out each page probably did average $2, so I'm blaming you all that I think I need more and more and more.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Kitty_wOlf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
They were talking about this on this week's pod-cast of the round table.
it's amazing how mach people can spend. I try to buy cheaper packs of cardstock and paper and use those.
i tend to use 2-3 cardstock-papers.
a roll of atg goes a long way... like at least 20 layouts.

one of the things said on the show was said but the husband of the host- and he said that it's basicly art and you don't see very many painters tring to see how mach each painting costs them...

Yep. I really don't care what it costs, within reason. That being said, I need to do more to use up all the stuff in my closet... I'm in the Henri Jean boat of having super old supplies turning into paper dust!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to *jesse*

I found that making a lot of my own embellishments saves a lot of money. It can be very time consuming though and not as convenient.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ohio4HMom

I can't imagine even spending close to that much. I don't do a ton of LO's but I make a ton of cards,,,,,,

yes, a stack of paper might cost me 10 bucks on sale,,,,,,,but I might use that stack of paper to make 20 or 25 cards,,,,,,,,,a few LO's and give the rest to my grands for their projects,,,,,,

I make my own flowers, MOSTLY, unless I happen to get a fantastic deal on a pack,,,,,,and then I am sparing with them,,,,,,,mixing them in with handmade ones.

I use tools like punches and die cuts that can be used over and over again,,,,,,,so I guess it's hard to figure per page or per card price,,,,,but seriously, I can't imagine spending that much on one page. It's probably easier if you are buying all the flowers and other embellishments instead of making your own.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

There is a crop here once a month and all the money goes to breast cancer research. She does a lot of things to raise money for breast cancer. All the money paid for the crop, after use of the room (only $5.00 for Friday nights) goes to breast cancer.

She has fund raisers constantly for breast cancer - she had a 2 day crop recently. I think she raised around $2,000 last year for breast cancer research.

Anyway I contacted her and she is having a breast cancer crop fundraiser in next March and is already collecting things to sell or give away. There will be a HUGE grab table - get what you want and she advertises that to get people to come.

All my extra stuff will go to the organizer to put towards breast cancer fundraisers. I'm giving it all to her Friday night.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Alright Miss Enabler.... I'm talking to you Holly! Those two nesties are in my Amazon cart.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

well you absolutely NEED them,,,,,,,,,

and 40 more

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You are right. I am going to go hit the submit button. I would not want them to be discontinued while they are sitting in my cart.

Now I just need a machine to use them in.

Do you think I might have things a little backwards?

Holly, I'm clueless - when you use them you put waxed paper on top. Do you also run them through an embossing folder and when do you do that?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

It's very simple.

depending on your machine, it might vary a bit, but the steps are pretty much the same,,,,

1) make your sandwich,,,,,,,

cutting plate
paper
wax paper IF it's a complicated die, you won't need it for all dies
die, ridge side down
cutting plate

run through to cut,,,,,,

turn the die over with the paper still inside and put an embossing MAT over the die (not an embossinf FOLDER),,,,,,

make the embossing sandwich recommended by your machine,,,,,and run through again,,,,,,,the edges will be embossed!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Here is the embossing mat you need,,,,,,either the set of two small ones for a big kick or a cuttle bug, or a LARGE 8.5x12 mat for the grand calibur (I personally recommend the grand calibur if you need a new machine. I bought the Big Kick and then kicked myself,,,,,,less than a year later, I was buying the GC so I could cut the Grand nesties)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

the embossing mat pushes the paper into the die so it embosses,,,,,,that's why you need that,,,,,it comes WITH the Grand Calibur, so if you get that machine, you don't need to buy one,,,,,,but it does NOT come with the Big Kick or Big shot or CB, so you'll need to buy the smaller ones for those machines.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli

I think I am going to make a SPENDY LO tonight... well, for me anyway, I think it will be a $5-6 LO. I just spent $3 on buttons. It is a birthday gift for DH and will be hanging in a shadow box in our dinning room, so it is pretty cheap house decor

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Rushli

Thank you so much Holly. I'm tossing between the Grand Caliber and the Big Shot Pro. I'm afraid I will get it and then want to emboss a 12 x 12. I've never had a machine before.

I'm going to have to decide and then get one! More people I know have the Grand Caliber so I would be able to ask more questions and get more hhelp with it.

What a nice birthday gift for your husband Liz. You are right, you can't buy much for the wall for $5-$6 and this will mean so much more and I know it will look beautiful!

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Ohio4HMom

I can't image spending $50.00 on one page. I often spend that much for supplies, but I use them on several pages and cards as well. I may buy a special package of stickers, or ribbon, etc. for a page, but I've never even come close to spending that much on just one page!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pwiswell

I know - it just blows me away!

LEZE
LEZE 
Tenant
LEZE
  • LEZE on 04-17-12 08:17 PM

Thats a lot of $$$$$ for a page

I have learned to make my own flowers and other embellies. I'm happy to see that my average is about the same as most here, $5 or less.

I am addicted to paper packs but I only buy them when they are on sale and when I have a coupon

It also helps that stores Like Ross and TJ Maxx are also now selling stuff very inexpensively.

I save my money and shop at the yearly expos. I have found amazing deals there. Too bad they come around here once a year

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:

THIS!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics