Username Post: So angry I am steaming!        (Topic#1573871)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I just spent 2 hours gluing down the first page of my Halloween layout on the cruise ship. I had it exactly the way I wanted it.

Slipped it in a protector to see how it is going to look and it sticks up 1/2" over the top. Maybe more. How did that happen.

Turned the layout over. The bottom has the UPC strip. Thanks a lot BasicGrey. How about putting it on the front like almost everyone else so you can see it, not scrap over it!

I used ATG and other permanent glues so I can't do it over. What a mess that would be. I used irreplaceable paper, embellies and letters.

The only thing I could do was cut the strip off the back and now the bottom of one of the pictures and the mat is whacked off with the top spaced perfectly. Probably about $6 in this page but I can't do it over like it was - and I don't want to buy the materials again.

Why, oh why is the UPC strip not on the front so it jumps out at you and you don't make this mistake?

When I was scrapping Italy I did about 25 pages and used cardstock for background. After I did all my pages and photographed them, I put them in sleeves and they were all too tall! Turned them over. The cardstock had a UPC strip along the bottom. It took me longer to fix them all (I was using repositional mounting squares then) than it did to do the 25 pages the first time around! I had to crop pictures and mats and resize everything to make the pages work!

Now I avoid that brand of cardstock and will not purchase it. When I buy papers in the store if the UPC strip is on the back I put it back, even on patterned paper because I don't want to risk messing up again.

Well, it did happen again. I'm not a happy camper this minute.

BasicGrey - I love your papers, but couldn't you put the UPC strip on the front so we don't accidently forget about it and make our layouts on that part of the paper, only to find out we ruined your beautiful designer paper and wasted all our embelies and our time and work?

Please, do not tell me I am the only one dumb enough to have done this. If I am, I'll get off my soapbox.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Henri Jean

Is there no way to trim the top?

eclecticstuff
Resident
eclecticstuff

I did the same thing last week! Grrrr

Fortunately, I was able to trim the top to get it to fit in the page protector. My title is now closer to the edge than I would like but I didn't loose the layout to my mistake.

Normally I like to use that extra strip but last week I had some not so nice words for BG about it.

Sorry to hear you did it too. Hope you can find a way to salvage things.

Hope you don't mind I jumped in on this.

~Carolyn

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to eclecticstuff

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. They should put it on the front of the paper! I know I'd make that mistake if I Had that kind of paper. Better check the paper I just bought.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to eclecticstuff

I agree, Basic Gray requires a bit of extra thought and planning, when making the cut.

However, personally, I spend a good amount of time oohing and aahing over the paper I buy before I use it so I get a good idea of which ones require that extra thought. To me, it's all about the planning process. I'm incapable of just grabbing a piece of paper from my stash and going to town -- cardstock and pp alike.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

I just flip the paper over and make sure that there is a strip. Most paper does have a UPC strip on the bottom.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

aren't most of their papers double sided?? which side would be the front??

regardless, I can't STAND those strips,,,,,,they drive me nuts!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

Just checked all my new paper. UPC strip on both sides of doubled sided and the front on single sided.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Manda_K

If it was 1/2" too tall, could you trim 1/4" off the top and bottom to keep things even?
Almost all the BG paper I have is double-sided, was this paper not? Cuz first thing I thought of was "how do you decide which side is the front on double-sided papers", LOL
I'm like Manda, seems like 99% of papers now have the strip so I automatically flip it to make sure it does or doesn't before I begin.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to chocolateaxel

I always check, too. G45 and Canvas Corp have the strip on the top, BBP has a smaller strip than others and some of those cheapie papers from the big box stores have actual stickers on the back.

It's enough to make a gal crazy.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NMlady

This was a Halloween paper I bought several years ago and was so excited to be able to use it!

I don't mind the bar strip - it just needs to be on both sides. I checked all my other designer papers and it does show on both sides!

The top has an angled picture which touches the top of the page and if I trim that it will affect embellies. I played with it every way possible covering up parts and the bottom was the less offensive of the choices.

I'm using different paper on a different layout now - Echo Park and they printed the strip so you know it no matter which side you use.

Last night I laid out about 20 pages of Hallween paper on the table and opened my big book of embellies and went to the Halloween page and then placed my pictures around. Worked on it for hours - knew exactly how I wanted it to look and I'm really happy with it - except for the piece I cut off the bottom.

I think the reason they only put it on one side is so when it is in the store the one side it is on is the one they consider the back side so when it is in the rack you see the paper, not the bar. I don't care. If it has to have a bar, put it on both sides!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When I first started working on scrapbooks I cut the strips off before I filed the paper away so I never had to check as I scrapped. Then when I needed more or someone asked me what it was I didn't have a clue so I quit doing that.

I'm used to the strips showing on both sides, not just one side and it really threw me.

Maybe they planned for the side I used to be the back side but it was perfect for my layout to use at the front!

Carolyn - sorry it happened to you last week. You sound like you are as frustrated as I am.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I do think if they are going to put it on double sided paper, it should be on BOTH sides,,,,,,,

because really,,,,,,,,WHICH is the front???

put it on both! geesh.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to CommaHolly

Those strips drive me crazy for multiple reasons. 1, that they're there at all 2, that most of them have to be trimmed off. Why don't you PERFORATE them and save me the hassle?! I've seen some that was perforated, but not all are.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Tina scraps

eh, the ones that are perforated never tear straighgt

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

What I've found that drives me crazy is if I go trim at 12", it always leaves a little of the strip. I always have to go a little deeper to get it all off.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Even the perforated I cut off with my paper trimmer. I am not very crafty coordinated and I rip and tear things easily. Most things your normal 3rd grader can do with paper and scissors - some of my work and skills would embarrass any of them.

Now I'm working on page 5 and 6 of my layout and its Teresa Collins - she also printed on both sides so there is no chance of it being overlooked.

I worked for hours last night and so I was just down to matting and gluing today. I usually do that at crops but I wanted this to be really precise and knew these 6 pages would take 30 minutes to an hour each to glue to get it like I wanted it. It is not like my standard travel pages which I can crank out all day.

Edited by Henri Jean on 04-18-12 09:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

HJ, I haven't always remembered to look for that strip when starting my layouts, this will help remind me in the future. I am sorry you had to cut your layout.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

I usually take a few seconds to flip it over to check before using it. Even with Bazzill I have to check to see if there is a sticker on the back or a printed bar on the back, so I can take care of it accordingly before starting. I make sure to check on the brands that I've previously run into with these strips, but tend to check them all since you just never know.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to angie girl

I normally check too but last night my selection process was a little different.

I pulled about 10 different papers for Halloween. Then I looked at both sides to see which was better for the layouts so I had looked at both sides.

I laid the choices out - face up on the side I had selected.

When I picked what went best with my photos I played with my photos on it and then bought it in my scraproom and started putting it together.

I never turned it over again after when I picked the side I liked best on all of them so I had forgotten about the little strip.

WHen I go through my stash and pick and match I do check both sides, but this time I had already checked so I didn't look at it again. I got so excited with how perfect it was - I just never flipped it over again.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to angie girl

That is so freaking annoying!! I had that happen once with a lo, but my "extra" was on the side and, of course, I had scrapped edge to edge on the page and there was no way to trim it down!

It used to annoy the heck out of me that some page protectors were more like 11.5x11.5 !!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justowen

I bought one brand protectors onces and every page had to be trimmed down! Hated it!

Now all my pages are Studio Design which is Hobby Lobby's brand.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to justowen

• justowen Said:
That is so freaking annoying!! I had that happen once with a lo, but my "extra" was on the side and, of course, I had scrapped edge to edge on the page and there was no way to trim it down!

It used to annoy the heck out of me that some page protectors were more like 11.5x11.5 !!!

That and some papers are not the full 12 x 12.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SoonerT

I always check the paper in the album before I scrap,,,,,,,,and often I just trim the thing down so it's a bit loose in the protector,,,,,,,

considering I am going to add 3D embellishments like flowers, stick pins, etc,,,,,it give it a bit more room. Seems safer at least for the way I scrap.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That is a great idea Holly, my enabler! I am going to have to start doing that too. Some papers seem to be a tad wider than others too.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

I have noticed that, too, Henri.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

• CommaHolly Said:
I always check the paper in the album before I scrap,,,,,,,,and often I just trim the thing down so it's a bit loose in the protector,,,,,,,

considering I am going to add 3D embellishments like flowers, stick pins, etc,,,,,it give it a bit more room. Seems safer at least for the way I scrap.

You have a great talent for card making. They are beautiful.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SoonerT

Thank you, T,,,,,,,,,,I just enjoy it is all.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to SoonerT

• SoonerT Said:
  • justowen Said:

That and some papers are not the full 12 x 12.

Yes!! If it's a square, I can at least mat the page onto a piece of cs and just say I wanted that framed look for the page , but it's extra annoying when the paper turns out to be something like 11.5x12 and looks odd in my page protector and looks odd if I try to mat it...hmmmm..these may be some of the reasons why I have tons of pages that aren't in page protectors/albums, I get too frustrated finding out that the page doesn't fit in the protector correctly, so I just avoid that problem.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

My problem is that often the side I want to use as the "front" is the side the designer has decided to make the back.

I like the way American Crafts does it (at least with the Margarita line) - it's the bar code on one side, and on the other side it's an obviously different coordinating design that draws attention to that half-inch being different from the rest.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

They should all do that Aqua. Then these "accidents" wouldn't happen because from this thread, I'm not the only one!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Yeppers, same thing happened to me. Now I measure EVERY SINGLE SHEET before I start. Some have a UPC and ID that has to be trimmed, some don't.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I've been burned like this before, so now I'm paranoid. I check EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF PAPER to make sure of where the UPC code is. So sorry this happened to you... but once you do it, you'll never do it again!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to meezerpleaser

How about the holes in the stacks that cut right into the proper measurements?

I just bought FOUR 6x6 stacks,,,,,yep, the hole is right there,,,,,if I cut the hole off completely, the page is not the right size,,,,,if I cut it the right size, there's a half moon on the paper.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

What? Ok, now that is really rediculous!

Expert

I try to remember, but I've done the same thing. I get so into my layout that I've missed that little tab too. It's a pain, but I usually can move things to fix it. Maybe we should write the companies and plead for strips on both sides!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to deedee49

That's a great idea Deedee - starting with Basic Grey. They are a big company - they should know better.

Deedee - since your name is deedee49 - were you born in 1949? Both my husband and I were born in 1949.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to deedee49

rofl oh my gosh ladys!! I so feel everyone's pain and frustration!!

I just bought like a ton of the lost n found collection and yeap, 1.2 of the stack isnt 6x6 unless I leave the moon tip what the HECK?

I bought some Coordinated (new type of cardstock) and why in earth is there a bar code needed in a stack????!!!!

Back in the day (10+ years ago) there wasnt this label, I always used basic grey & bazzil .. they didnt have this extra hassle. NOW WHY? The paper at the LSS is marked on the rack's ... the ones with the lines are marked with permanent marker (OMG) this floored me ... I was like WHAT? Basic Grey was one sided (I almost hit the floor) seriously, that was dedicated brand I didnt stray, I loved there designs, I loved the weight .. now it still feel's the same (Yes I am guilty I have 2 packs of BG papers from over 10 years ago) weight but why did they go one sided???? And since they did shouldnt the price be cut in HALF!!!! They are using only 1/2 the ink, time ... blah rahh rahh ... make it cheaper then. Ive said so long to my dedication to BG, Sorry buddy but through out the years ... other companys have picked up the slack

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-18-12 02:02 PM

Did you tryin using Un-Du? It works on permanent adhesives, and doesn't damage your paper in any way.
Products Referenced in This Post:

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to gone

Henri, I'm sorry, I have never done that but I can see how annoying it would be and I feel your frustration!
On a brighter note.....
My Mind's Eye papers have a coordinated strip on the bottom that you can actually use and not throw away....it is usually printed in a shape within the strip and coordinates with the paper so you can cut it off and use it as a strip on your LO.....on the other side is the barcode.

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

I have a bottle of undo in my scrap stuff at home and one in my craft wagon. I just didn't want to saturate the entire page with it and risk ruining the paper.

I was at a crop and really messed up bad and had to pour the bottle over the entire layout. The paper turned a little wavy (still worked great though) - think that was becuase I used about half a bottle. I need to experiment a little more with undo and get comfortable that it isn't going to ruin my papers. Maybe take my little scraps and glue something to it and then try undu to see that its okay.

I like that My Mind's Eye has a stip that you can use one side to coordinate. That makes sense. In fact it would be very nice.

Basic Grey does not make sense!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

Just trim a 1/4 inch off the top and a 1/4 inch off the bottom. It will be ok

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Just G

So sorry this happened. I was told a long time ago that BG does that so that you can use that strip as a coordinating color for a LO from the other side. It makes sense. It just doesn't help when you have spent so much time on a LO already.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to 950nancy

Un-do may work Henri Jean. I have seen scrappers use it on the most intricate papers and it didn't ruin it. I am so sorry this happened to you. I noticed the same thing on my cardstock. Thanks for the heads up, I haven't used it as a background yet, but I do have it set aside for a lo.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-18-12 06:24 PM

I use Un-Du drip by drip. I ease the spatula part of the cap under whatever loose edge I can find, and one drop at a time ease up the photo/ebellie/whatever. Give it a little time to do its magic. Crossing my fingers for you!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to gone

I check all my paper. BG isn't the only brand to do this. Every now and then I forget to check, though. Grrrr. I find the extra strips annoying when trying to stack my paper in my paper trays. They are just long enough to catch on the trays and bend a little. Boo.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Luvmyfam

I have also done this. but I usually take the strips off as soon as I open the pack ... and I usually use the patterned side on my LOs ... extra paper for free ... I love being a frugal scrapper.

It is certainly very annoying when I forget though ...

Resident

Basicgrey puts the stip on only one side, what they consider the named side.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen_in_WA

That is what I'm so irritated about! I used the other side yesterday and didn't take it off first.

Veteran

Wow, learned two new things today........

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Noelles mom

I love what Kaisercraft does, the UPC is on the "front side" but the back of the strip is a tiny pattern that matches the rest of the line so you can actually USE that stupid strip!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to kiyawinn

I've had that happen to me too. I now make sure to measure my cardstock/paper. Some brands seem to be a little larger that 12" too.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell

We no longer have a scrapbooking store in my area. We have AC Moore and Michaels, but their paper is more generic. I miss having a store full of supplies just for paper crafting. I would even take the bar strips without complaint. It's not like I live in the boonies, but the one we had just couldn't make a go of it. I really miss it.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Well, now I don't feel so bad. When I did it - to two pages, I thought...this is such a novice mistake, I would not have brought it up. And now it seems everyone does this from time to time.

I've noticed that Bazzill that I purchased lately has a UPC sticker on it that peels off easily and it measures correctly. The only thing is that I like to note the name of the color or design.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

I have purchased cardstock at one of the box stores, don't remember which one and it looks 12 x 12 but one side is a bit longer where the UPC stip is on one side.

Now I check every piece of cardstock becuase I bought a lot of that with the UPS strip - no idea where. All I know is I'm very careful not to buy cardstock with the printed UPC strip - that is too easy too mess up.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Now I don't feel so bad tho' if you can do it. I'm such a ROOKIE!

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to aquabunny

I did the same dang thing on this layout and as I had journaled around the edge I couldn't trim it...just sticks up out of the top but it is in album that is taller than the page protector so it hasn't gotten messed up...yet. I could never find that green pp again and even if I could the lo was designed around that size of pp...if I cut off some the journaling would not fit....live and learn. BTW this isn't the first time I've done this but it is the only time I couldn't fix it. Now I look for and cut strips off right off the bat.
ALICE has cooties By Dollscrap

My rant..I hate two sided pp...it's more expensive and if you love and want both sides you have to spend a bundle...of course I do it...lol

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to dollscrap

Oh I feel your pain. I experienced both the negative and the positive of this in one hour using basic grey.

I was putting a two page layout into protectors only to realize I missed the strip. I had the same range of emotions as Henri Jean.
However, later using the same BG line I was desperate for a the last remnants of a certain color for a mat. I was so glad when I found one big enough due to the strip still attached. Then I was thinking how clever they were and how much that just save my entire layout.

Now before I build on the base page I flip it over and check for UPC strips. I try to think of it like learning how to work with a new tool.

Sorry you had to spend so much time fixing the layout. I know that feels awful and its almost painful to cut it.

paperpilekitten
Resident
paperpilekitten

Oh Henri, I'm sorry this happened to you. What a sad story. So frustrating! I agree that it's incredibly stupid not to mark the UPC strip on both sides of the paper! They could at least have marked that strip as a contrasting border or something, like other brands do.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to paperpilekitten

I went to a crop and took the page I tried to fix and put it in with the others that I had completed. I was quite surprised that everyone seemed to love my Halloween page and no one noticed that it was off balance where I tried to fix it so I"m leaving it along now.

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks

I just had to do the same thing Friday night. I always try to look at my papers for the strip before scrapping.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics