Username Post: a special dog        (Topic#1574195)
jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

My grandma died Feb. 28. Everyone said that her dog, Zeus, would die of a broken heart. Well, lately Zeus hasn't been eating. He's a big dog, and he got down to 40 pounds. he just would not eat. He was skin and bones. My aunt has been taking care of him since grandma died. Well, my aunt had Zeus put down on Tuesday. She just couldn't watch him suffer any more, starving himself to death. The vet, who had tried everything to get Zeus to eat, put him down for free, since my aunt is flat broke. I am going to make a memorial scrapbook for my grandma, and I am going to include Zeus too.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to jaspernonyx

You have my deepest sympathies for your loss.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to anda11

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother. What great love and devotion Zuse had for her. His whole life was probably wrapped up in her and couldn't go on without her. I'm sorry he had to be put down but that was far better than watch him linger. I think of my own dog. She's only 4, but she is my shadow. She will not eat when we're not home. We can leave food for her and be gone for the day. The food will be right in her bowl when we return and then she will gobble it up. Its as if she goes into hibernation when we're not there.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to Mother Goose

I'm sorry for both your losses. Our pets do become very special to us. Even though it's hard to let them go, it's more cruel to watch them suffer. Just remember he's with your grandma now. I think it would be a wonderful idea to have your grandma's dog in the memory book with her.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to anda11

That is so sad. I know my dog started chewing his hair and pulling it out when my daughter moved away. Then 6 weeks later when my mom's SO passed away and I left my dog with my mom so she would not be so lonely and she'd feel safe it was like he knew he had a job to do and he didn't even ty to leave with me. He continued to pull his hair out until I moved in with my mom. I truly believe that animals have emotions.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to NMlady

I think that animals miss their humans, just like we miss them. When my husband died in our basement, our cats would go down there for months afterward, looking for him. They'd just cry and cry.

When he was away in Iraq and getting ready to come home for leave (he was a contractor), I'd tell them that Daddy was coming home and they'd start sitting in the window all day. At night, they'd sit at the top of the stairs and stare at the front door.

My girls are very attached to me and have a hard time when I go away on vacation.

Sorry, OP. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I think your idea is a wonderful one. It sounds like Zeus loved her so much and mourned her loss. Poor guy! I am sorry for your loss, as well.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to siameseplease

This thread is all about how animals feel about their people! I love reading these stories. The conversation will go where it will. I had a cat, Jasper, who couldn't stand for me to be on the other side of a closed door. She would cry nonstop.

Edited by jaspernonyx on 04-26-12 08:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I have a long dog story but it is awesome. My Mom had Huntingtons disease & she would stumble when she walked. A friend was giving away a small sweet sheltie. Mom's dog had passed. My dad (dog lover) thought he would trip Mom because shelties run circles around everyone. WE were smitten with him. Mom had him for yrs & he never once tripped her. I took Mom in the van everyday while I did errands for school, direct sales. We went lots of places. Mom was able to go in places for yrs but when she couldn't we still went but at garage sales I drive in the driveway & took thing to show mom to buy. WE used to eat at the river to watch ducks. EVERY SINGLE DAY Scotty sat in moms lap in the van. He also would sit in the front seat if we went somewhere without mom. When mom was in a wheelchair, he sat in her lap every day all day. He was with her when she passed. After we lost Mom, Scotty would NEVER EVER sit in the front seat again. That was yrs.
We would take him to nursing homes to visit relatives. He always needed 20 mins to get used to some one. Once he went in, he would let any of the old people touch him instantly. The ones who were rough, he never minded. He never snapped at any of them. It was like he could sense their limitations. He was a celebrity at the nursing homes. Mom had brain surgery. When she was in rehab at the hospital, he was allowed to be in bed with her. He ended up a celebrity there too.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

My husband had a fabulous collie that traveled across the country with him going to different jobs he had. He went to work with him most days. They were extremely close. One night Dave was attacked by 3 or 4 men. Heathcliff was in the car. The window was up over half way. He squeezed through the opening & saved Dave's life. He had 2 bleeding on the ground, one ran away when the police came.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
I think that animals miss their humans, just like we miss them. When my husband died in our basement, our cats would go down there for months afterward, looking for him. They'd just cry and cry.

When he was away in Iraq and getting ready to come home for leave (he was a contractor), I'd tell them that Daddy was coming home and they'd start sitting in the window all day. At night, they'd sit at the top of the stairs and stare at the front door.

My girls are very attached to me and have a hard time when I go away on vacation.

Sorry, OP. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I think your idea is a wonderful one. It sounds like Zeus loved her so much and mourned her loss. Poor guy! I am sorry for your loss, as well.

Gina, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. If he was a contractor in Iraq, perhaps he was in the military before. If so, thank you for being a military family.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to anda11

you have my sympathies ss well.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

I've gotten teary-eyed this morning reading these posts. I am so sorry for all of your losses.

A couple of years ago, I wasn't feeling well and came home early. I let our 3 dogs in, and our boxer Maxwell wasn't acting right. He seems confused, and a little out of it. He started slipping on the tiled kitchen floor and collapsed. He was just gone, that suddenly. I was in a panic, confused ... it happened so fast that I didn't have one second to wrap my brain around it. It couldn't be heat stroke, it wasn't that warm. His mouth wasn't foaming. He was just gone. I called my husband, who asked if I could get him into the car (he was 80lbs) and to the vet, which is just down the street. He didn't understand either that he was already gone.

I'd herded the other two dogs back outside, and when after my husband got home to say his good-byes, we let them come in to see Max one last time. They both came over and sniffed him, but didn't seem to make too much of him not getting up to play. It wasn't until later that night that they both roamed the house looking for him. Our American Bulldog was very attached to him, and was completely restless. He paced and paced and kept checking the spots Maxwell always laid down. Neither of them ate very well, and were obviously very sad. It broke our hearts, even more than they already were. Seems funny that ONE dog, in a 3-dog house can make it seem SOOOO quiet.

A couple of days later, fate brought us to finding an 8-month old boxer with all the same features we loved about Maxwell. He looked like he could've been his offspring. We adopted him from a boxer rescue group, named him Junior, and took him home. He and our American Bulldog were buddies right off the bat, but we noticed a change in him. Even our friends noticed he had matured, wasn't quite as carefree and playful as he'd once been. It's like he knew he had to be the "big brother," like Maxwell had been to him. Our Basset Hound knew there was a new puppy now too, and took awhile to warm up to him. I believe that animals grieve, just as we do. I know that it took a big adjustment for ours to get over the loss of their friend and brother.

((hugs)) to you all, and again, I'm so sorry for each of your losses.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to tanyaham

Hugs on your loss of your Grandma. But now Zeus is with her again.

Some people just can't comprehend how difficult the loss of a pet is or how hard it is for a pet to lose their human companion.

When we lost our cat, Molly, at age 19. I thought. Now way -- not going thru that again. Ha ha ha.

My house if full of fur balls. I have 3 dogs and a cat. And a foster dog. I wouldn't have it any other way. One of my dogs is now 10 (she was a rescued as an adult) -- and I dread losing her. But I would never trade the wonderful fun we all have together to avoid the pain of loss.

Hugs to everyone here. The joy they bring so outweighs that pain.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ncyankee

Awww, everyone's stories are so touching.

When our first Boxer passed I thought there was no way I could have another dog. Now we have 2 and I wish we could move so we could get a couple more.

Hugs all around. Animals are people, too!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day
In response to ncyankee

Such touching stories! You guys brought a tear to my eye!
Pets are so special to our lives. I really do think that they grieve just like we do after a loss.
My heart goes out to all of you. Jaspernonyx, the book about your grandmother sounds great - it will be something that you cherish!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I'm so sorry.... It's hard to lose a loved one and then to lose a beloved pet on top of it... it's like losing another little piece of your grandmother. Again, so sorry....

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell

That is so sad. I've heard of animals like that. What you're doing is a wonderful thing. Sorry for your loss.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

Hope you enjoy the process of making a scrapbook memorializing your grandmother and her precious friend gives you the peace and contentment that something similar did for me. I understand how Zeus grieved for your grandmother and lost the desire for life himself as my female Springer Spaniel did the same thing when our older male Springer became ill and died suddenly. She became so thin (and we had always called her "pig dog" because she never passed up a morsel of food) that I finally did the same thing and took her into our vet and had her put down. She was so unhappy and mournful that one day she just asked to be released so we made that last trip to the vet's office. I still cry over the 2 of them sometimes and really miss them both, even after all these many years.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Ms. Fit

I hope you will enjoy some pleasant memories as you create your book. It will be a comfort to those who are blessed to see it. Scientists and physicians have proved that pets have a therapeutic effect on humans... lowering blood pressure, etc. They can sniff out seizures and assist children with autism. They are 4 legged angels. I am sorry for the multiple losses you have suffered.

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I am soo sorry for your loss. It is never easy. I lost my little pom. I did a page for her. Let me see if I can find the pic and post it.

AniPie
AniPie 
Tenant
AniPie
In response to AniPie

Found the pictures ... http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/687943/view /3609543/... ..

Also, you all made me think of a family dog we had growing up. My baby sister always had the dog in her life she did not know a time without her. She understood the dog was getting old and she would ask lots of questions. That movie All Dogs Go To Heavan came out and she would say how Girl will go to heaven when she gets too old. One morning we came down stairs and my sister (she was 5 at the time ) ran to the back door to knock on the glass to let the dog know we were up and would bring her in for breakfast. I went to start getting the food ready and could hear her knocking on the glass door calling the dog. Then I hear her say " silly dog wont wake up, she is sleeping under the tree.." My heart dropped. How was I going to deal with this with my baby sister and I home alone and here I am about to lose it. I told her to let Girl ( the dog's name was Girl) sleep and set her breakfast on the table. While my sister ate I called my parents. My dad asked me to wrap the dog in a blanket so her could take her to the vets office to have her cremated ( not sure how to spell it ). I went outside to bring Girl up on the porch so I could her ready. I noticed her paws were muddy from the yard so I decided I had to wash off her paws. I went inside and I told my sister Girl was sick and was going to go to the doctor. I asked her to finish her breakfast while I got her ready for Dad to pick up. So here I am on the back porch trying not to cry (cause I don't want to scare my baby sister) and washing Girl's paws off. I didn't hear my little sister come out side but the next thing I knew she was standing right next to me, before I could say anything she pats me on the shoulder and says "Don't cry Ani, remember, all dogs go to hevean. She is going to have fun!"
It is amazing how this little furry animals touch our lives and fill our hearts. I am so greatful for each and every one who has come into my life.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to AniPie

I'm so sorry for your losses.

It's amazing the emotions that animals seem to feel, not only towards us but also towards each other. We used to have a St. Bernard/Collie cross named Fritz, and my mom had a terrier-poodle-pom cross named Mugsy. The two of them were the absolute best of friends in spite of the huge size difference between them. Mugsy used to go outside and bark a couple of times to call Fritz, and then the two of them would take off together. After Fritz died, one day Mugsy was sitting out in the driveway just barking. Not moving, just sitting there. I was all ready to go out and get after him for his needless barking, when I suddenly realized that he was trying to call Fritz, and didn't understand why his buddy wasn't coming. I broke down and cried. After a while, he finally came in and laid in his bed with the saddest look on his face.

Jen

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics