Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrapbooking "Rules"        (Topic#1576189)
jlhall 
New Kid On the Block

What are some "rules" of scrapbooking that you would share with someone new to scrapping? I'm going to use this info for a class I am giving so your help is greatly appreciated!!

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to jlhall

Rule number one: there are no rules!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to LesleyC

Have fun and do what you like,,,,,,don't worry about anyone else,,,,,don't worry if they think your style is too plain or over embellished. Don't worry if you like the current style and new stuff or embellies that are 8 years old.

It's for you and what you like,,,,,,,

you will only get better, so relax and have FUN.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to CommaHolly

Accept from the start that you will spend too much money on more things and peices of paper than you could ever use in a scrapper's lifetime.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappercaz

Oh but Carolyn, it's so much fun to TRY and use it all

jlhall 
New Kid On the Block
In response to LesleyC

That one goes right along with my favorite....There is no wrong way to scrap!! lol

jlhall 
New Kid On the Block

Oh Carolyn....my husband would SO AGREE with you!!! But, there is just so much really CUTE stuff out there!! And I have to get the new stuff when it comes out!!

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to jlhall

On buying too much (paper,etc), my dh asks, do you really need that?. My answer, "when did NEED ever enter into the equation?"

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to LesleyC

• LesleyC Said:
Rule number one: there are no rules!

This.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Pace yourself.

If I had it all to do again, I wouldn't have bought as nearly as much as I first started with!

Basically, you want to be able to enjoy actually scrapbooking vs. spending most of your time organizing or hunting for stuff.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

- Keep drinks & food away from your projects.

- When using glitter, beware the fan!

- If kiddies, kitties & or fur-babies can reach it, they will reach it.

Those are the 3 that seem to stick out to me the most (danger/mishap-wise).

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

- Stay true to yourself.

- Never compare your work to others.

- Just have fun & the rest will eventually come!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to KellyCali

What everyone else said.

Use good glue.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to KellyCali

Oh, how right you are. I have only been scrapping for a short time but the stuff I have!!! I so wish that I had bought a little less pp packs way back when I started and that I had waited until I really knew what I was doing and what I wanted to do with the paper.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to runzalot81

I have learned just how important good glue is. When I first started SBing, I used Scotch Magic Tape (yes, I really did). Well, in my gallery you can really notice this. All the LOs in my gallery are over a year old--just uploaded some not too long ago, but they were still old. I have hassles taking pictures of my LOs, so I just don't anymore. But my style has matured and evolved from the kind of stuff that is in my gallery...

Anyway, back on topic: now I use Scotch Double Sided Scrapbook Tape, my Xyron, glue dots, and mod podge. As far as rules go, you will need an assortment of wet and dry adhesive, and finding what works for you may be the journey of a lifetime...

Yes, good adhesive is VERY important.

Kim

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to KellyCali

Everyone is being so polite and at the same time it's kind of mean. We all would have been just fine with a few rules and a lot less stickers in the beginning.

With that, my baker's dozen for beginners:

1. All rules are made to be broken, think of them as suggestions.

2. The only thing you NEED is a trimmer, a glue stick, an album, photos and some paper. EVERYTHING else is a want... and want you will. It is possible to produce beautiful memories for less than $2 a page. Highly unlikely, but very possible.

3. Resist the urge to spread everything out and place "stuff" every 2 inches. This applies triple to stickers, resist the urge to space them out on your LO.

4. People naturally look to top left first. For this reason Many people put title (if they title) in the top left.

5. The eye then naturally goes to the middle and finally the bottom right. If you want to record the story and have it be read after someone sees the picture, this is the natural place for it.

6. The rule of 3 and the rule of thirds are interesting concepts. Some people find them to be law while others ignore them completely. When you have time you may want to read up on them and see if they help you being visually comfortable with your results.

7. Black ink on the edges of everything will help everyone see your layers and make your work pop.

8. Don't buy the Fisker's shape cutter.

9. Everything goes on sale and there is always a coupon. In the beginning there will be many things you want, if you shop at a big box store 50% off retail is the goal. If you shop by mail, try to get the free shipping. If you are lucky enough to have a LSS expect to pay full price but ask lots of questions and expect to pick up information from people who are into scrapbooking while there. The lessons are worth the expense.

10. Better pictures make better pages. If you spend a little time editing your pictures rather than taking them straight from memory card to photo printer, you will probably be happier with your results. Many of the free programs like Picasa are very good.

11. You don't need to print every picture you take and you don't need to scrap every picture you print.

12. Like the rules of 3 and thirds there are also some rules of the color wheels. These come very naturally to some people and for others, not so much. Some people carry a color wheel with them to help maintain visual balance. When you have time check out a site like: http://colorschemedesigne r.com/ it is interactive and may help you feel comfortable making visually comfortable color combinations. If you want something true to a specific photo you might enjoy: http://www.scrapbook.com/color/?m=photo

13. There are no rules, only suggestions. This was rule 1 also, it bears repeating. You will see beautiful LOs with the title on the bottom, journaling on the side, no respect for any rules of 3, or any color wheel and terrible pictures. Breaking the suggestions can be beautiful and works extremely well for some folks.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 04:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Msceejay2000

There are no rules and I say do what makes you happy!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Mia1979

1. There are no rules.

2. Glitter is the herpes of scrap supplies. It will be everywhere.

3. Don't bleed on the Bazzill.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
1. There are no rules.

I have a love/hate relationship with glitter. I love how it can add to a LO, but I hate using it. Now I have a term for it..."herpes"

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to pugs223

I say and believe...there is no right or wrong way to scrap. If it has the *it* for you...then that's what matters

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

Re-emphasizing the good glue suggestions. That really is important. If you don't have a good adhesive you may be disapponted later when you go back to early scrapbooks and pieces are everywhere.

Most of us stay away from glue sticks like the plague.

A lot of us love our ATGs - I can't scrap without mine.

Just have fun.

If you like journaling on your pages (I love journaling) then make notes when you take pictures so when you go back to scrap them so you will remember the details. Otherwise, unless you have a photographic memory, you will forget.

I just keep a running journal in my computer on my desktop called "Trip Journal" and I put the date and keep listing things. One time it got 79 pages long. Easier to edit out the junk I don't want than to try to reconstruct memories and details. Sometimes I edit out 4 and 5 pages at a time but that is easy to do.

Ask questions here - someone has always got an answer and most everyone here is happy to help!

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Henri Jean

If they've never picked up anything scrappy, then find a LO here where there's a million to choose from and duplicate. This will help find their "style" and what they think they can accomplish from the start. Which is also a way to be "true to yourself".
All great answers so far...I spit coffee over the glitter/herpes statement!!!

justLyn
Queen
justLyn
In response to Abby0317

All great "rules" so far! The only thing I will add is never be afraid to try something new and different from your usual. Even if you don't like it, you will learn something from it.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• CommaHolly Said:
Oh but Carolyn, it's so much fun to TRY and use it all

One of the great things about digi scrapping is that I can use my favourite paper 100 times over but only buy it once....

and

my dh can't see what digi supplies I've bought

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to jlhall

• jlhall Said:
What are some "rules" of scrapbooking that you would share with someone new to scrapping? I'm going to use this info for a class I am giving so your help is greatly appreciated!!

This isn't a rule, but I think it would be very helpful if you referred them to the sb.com for lots of inspiration and information.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

1. There are no rules.

ha! if we're referring to literal glitter, I have none. If we're talking about Stickles or bling, oh yeah!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Tina scraps

Stickles is glitter, safely contained. The only kind I use!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

I have a few simple rules.

Of course there are no "rules" for art, it is what it is.

1. Clean up after you are done. It makes coming back and doing your next project much easier.

2. Be comfortable. Make sure you have a good chair, snacks (not close to your pages) and drinks.

3. Don't worry about what other people do.

4. Good adhesive is paramount. Different types like pop dots, glue dots, tape runner, liquid glue. There is a need for different ones.

5. Enjoy yourself and relax! You will produce much better pages. Don't try to force out a page.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Manda_K

Oh and I love glitter!! Mix it with a little slow dry or gloss medium and it cures the herpes!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Oh and I love glitter!! Mix it with a little slow dry or gloss medium and it cures the herpes!

The "Valtrex" for the scrapping world! Yaaah!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ScrappyMama6

YES!! It is the CURE! I have used a ton more glitter since mixing it with that. LOL

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to Andra Hoffman

One "rule/suggestion" I always follow is don't "over crop" your pictures, ESPECIALLY if there is some sort of historical reference, family memory or something you may want refernce to in the background. For example, if you have a picture of your mom as a child and she has her favorite toy behind her, if you crop it out, that's a memory lost! Keep the background!

Oh, and the "rules" are more of suggestions to help people get started. I like the baker's dozen rules, and remember to always have fun!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Msceejay2000 Said:
Everyone is being so polite and at the same time it's kind of mean.

I'm sorry,,,what did I miss? who's being mean?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

Ditto.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

Ditto.

and here I thought I just needed more

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• CommaHolly Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

Add me to the confused group

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

Yeah, me 4.....I was going to respond, but hadnt had enough coffee to respond in a non-snarky way.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

Teresa, is there ever enough coffee to respond in a non-snarky way?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-09-12 08:17 AM

1. There are no rules.

Rules are made to be broken, right? (Referring to my scrap-related accident over the weekend.)

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC

I will say, look to sketches for inspiration! The first time I did a LO, I was absolutely clueless, but once I found sketches, it really helped me.

Also, don't buy something just because it's pretty. Ask yourself if you will actually use it (or if you just want to sit all day long and look at it...that's ok, too...but you wouldn't buy a blouse that's pretty if you wouldn't wear it, so the same should probably be said for SB supplies...)

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to LesleyC

• LesleyC Said:
I will say, look to sketches for inspiration! The first time I did a LO, I was absolutely clueless, but once I found sketches, it really helped me.

Also, don't buy something just because it's pretty. Ask yourself if you will actually use it (or if you just want to sit all day long and look at it...that's ok, too...but you wouldn't buy a blouse that's pretty if you wouldn't wear it, so the same should probably be said for SB supplies...)

Blasphemy!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Msceejay2000 Said:
Everyone is being so polite and at the same time it's kind of mean. We all would have been just fine with a few rules and a lot less stickers in the beginning.

2. The only thing you NEED is a trimmer, a glue stick, an album, photos and some paper. EVERYTHING else is a want... and want you will. It is possible to produce beautiful memories for less than $2 a page. Highly unlikely, but very possible.

What is "kind of mean?"

While I completely agree that all you NEED to scrapbook is something to cut (scissors, X-acto knife, or trimmer), adhesive, paper, and photos, I must respectfully and EMPHATICALLY DISAGREE with glue stick.

DO NOT USE GLUE STICK!
Glue stick WILL fail. Your pages WILL fall apart. It is not worth the effort to have your work fall apart, because you used bad adhesive.

I would say a good scrapbooking "rule" is, if you want your pages to hold, use a quality adhesive!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to stick

• stick Said:
1. There are no rules.

Rules are made to be broken, right? (Referring to my scrap-related accident over the weekend.)

Don't worry, I broke that rule too. The afternoon after I had sinus surgery, I thought I'd rest and scrap. Apparently I leaned forward for too long too soon and dripped. The funny part was that it took a minute to figure out what it was because it was darkish red paper. LOL.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Bxr-Linda

Glues are apparently a big thing and I have a question about spray glue right now...but that's another thread.

The only hard and fast rule is to make sure they understand acid free and lignin free and how even photo albums should be free of both. If they have old photos like I did in those terrible old magnetic albums NOT GOOD. And explain archival mists and how it can be used. I did not see if anyone had mentioned this, but it's so obvious to someone who already scraps...........

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
Glues are apparently a big thing and I have a question about spray glue right now...but that's another thread.

The only hard and fast rule is to make sure they understand acid free and lignin free and how even photo albums should be free of both. If they have old photos like I did in those terrible old magnetic albums NOT GOOD. And explain archival mists and how it can be used. I did not see if anyone had mentioned this, but it's so obvious to someone who already scraps...........

Good point.

I think it's important to be aware of these things. Some scrappers choose to ignore archival quality in favor of artistic freedom to use various items.

I think that's perfectly fine, as long as you are aware of the risk. It would be a shame for people to be surprised to find their pages deteriorating in 10 years, if they expected them to last longer.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

*raises hand*

I am an ignorer! LOL

I also stabbed my finger last week with Cutterbees....maybe another good rule is watch where your scissors are pointing!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

Rule #1
Do NOT scrap original photos, documents, or newspaper clippings. ALWAYS make copies and scrap the copy.
Don’t ever think something is safe because it is in a album. Scrapbook albums can and do get damaged!

Rule #2
Safety first!
Use care when using cutting blades, trimmers, piercers, punches, hammers, etc.
Have adequate ventilation when spraying anything. Read the labels.
Some items are EXTREMELY flammable. Use care when working with heat guns, glue guns, open flames, etc.
NOTHING is more important than your personal safety. Even a pair of tweezers can hurt like heck if you drop it on your foot.

Rule #3
NEVER scrap food items unless you like bugs.

Rule #4
NEVER let anyone look through your albums while eating.

Rule #5
SPELL CHECK!

Rule #6
If something just “bugs you” it is OK to go back and change it. (Even after several years.) That’s why God invented Un-Du.

Rule #6
Items that go missing while scrapping have a habit of showing up at the most inopportune moments.

Rule #7
There are certain subjects, that when discussed on scrapbook.com, will result in a hell storm of replies. It is best to just not ever go there. (like glue sticks, or posting in the wrong area of the gallery)

Rule #8
Open cup drinks and scrapbooking don’t mix.

Rule #9
When attending crops try to reframe gossiping. (There is always a good chance that a stranger in the room knows who you are gossiping about.)

Rule #10
There is no such thing as having too many supplies.
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Gelidy Gelato

for a bunch of people who say there are no rules,,,,,,,

there certainly are A LOT of rules

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

What is "kind of mean?"

While I completely agree that all you NEED to scrapbook is something to cut (scissors, X-acto knife, or trimmer), adhesive, paper, and photos, I must respectfully and EMPHATICALLY DISAGREE with glue stick.

DO NOT USE GLUE STICK!
Glue stick WILL fail. Your pages WILL fall apart. It is not worth the effort to have your work fall apart, because you used bad adhesive.

I would say a good scrapbooking "rule" is, if you want your pages to hold, use a quality adhesive!

Okay, so I used a glue stick when I was starting out; over four years ago. The pages are still holding together just fine. At what point can I expect them to fall apart?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

The glue in those sticks tends to dry and crack over time. It is hard to say, like, WHEN it will come off, but glue sticks are def not meant for the long haul of a scrap page. If you don't mess with them too much and they are in a cooler place, it will probably last longer.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:

Rule #2
Safety first!
Even a pair of tweezers can hurt like heck if you drop it on your foot.

OMG that sounds like ME! I'm always dropping stuff. I spend too much time look for tiny things I dropped. I should change my name to clutsy-artist!

EverSoClever
Expert
EverSoClever

For presenting I would review:
the color wheel, rules of 3, repeating a color or shape, how to scrap non-related photos (change to B&W) and to set up an organization plan prior to becoming an obessive "collector"...it puts the ink pad in the basket....

Edited by EverSoClever on 05-09-12 09:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Bxr-Linda

So true and I am going to take some risk with certain things I have like music sheets and old recipes in my grandmother's hand. They can be sprayed and I will make sure they are not touching a photo. There are ways to make it work with less risk.

For me, one of the biggest culprits of damage is the old photo albums with unsafe acetate. Makes me so mad!

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

What is "kind of mean?"

DO NOT USE GLUE STICK!

Okay, so I used a glue stick when I was starting out; over four years ago. The pages are still holding together just fine. At what point can I expect them to fall apart?

I also have glue stick pages that are 4 or more years old and holding up fine. Remember these are beginners, start telling them they need a $30 tape gun and special tape which must be ordered by mail in bulk and they are out of there... that said I've had my ATG for a couple years and of course I love it and could not fathom going back.

That said I will retreat a bit, if they are using anything other than photos and paper, I would also suggest adding a better adhesive to the mix.

what's mean?
Being over polite. The op asked a question, she wants suggestions for rules, everyone saying there are no rules is just silly. She asked for rules for BEGINNERS, beginners want and NEED direction. They don't need anything super rigid but setting them loose on their own with zero guidance mostly ends with very bad shopping and ugly lay outs. Need I go take pictures of my sticker sneezes with terrible color combos to prove how bad it can be? Want to talk about the Fiskar's shape cutter and all the dumb guides? If you didn't have a friend or this board to guide you when you started you most likely know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

IN MY OPINION, it is mean to offer nothing of value to a beginner asking for direction. With that said my first and last rule for beginners are the rules aren't really rules.

And if it didn't mess up my baker's dozen approach I would gladly add the glitter is herpes rule and something about sketches and scraplifting being an excellent way to get good results.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 09:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Msceejay2000 Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Msceejay2000 Said:

What is "kind of mean?"

DO NOT USE GLUE STICK!

I also have glue stick pages that are 4 or more years old and holding up fine. Remember these are beginners, start telling them they need a $30 tape gun and special tape which must be ordered by mail in bulk and they are out of there... that said I've had my ATG for a couple years and of course I love it and could not fathom going back.

what's mean?
Being over polite. The op asked a question, she wants suggestions for rules, everyone saying there are no rules is just silly. She asked for rules for BEGINNERS, beginners want and NEED direction. They don't need anything super rigid but setting them loose on their own with zero guidance mostly ends with very bad shopping and ugly lay outs. Need I go take pictures of my sticker sneezes with terrible color combos to prove how bad it can be? Want to talk about the Fiskar's shape cutter and all the dumb guides? If you didn't have a friend or this board to guide you when you started you most likely know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

IN MY OPINION, it is mean to offer nothing of value to a beginner asking for direction. With that said my first and last rule for beginners are the rules aren't really rules.

And if it didn't mess up my baker's dozen approach I would gladly add the glitter is herpes rule and something about sketches and scraplifting being an excellent way to get good results.

EXACTLY! That is why my opinion is that it is important to educate about using quality materials.

Would YOU be happy if someone instructed you, as a beginner, to use glue sticks on your pages, you put lots of effort in to those pages, and in 5 years, they fell apart!?

No one said anyone should buy a $30 tape gun. There are plenty of decent adhesives out there that are NOT expensive, and readily available.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm sorry, but saying there are no rules isn't mean. Many people have offered SUGGESTIONS that are very helpful.

I fail to see how anyone is being mean.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

If you ask 10 different scrapbookers for their #1 suggestion or "rule", you'll probably get 10 different answers!

Some people LIKE sticker-sneeze. And your "ugly layout" may be someone else's pride and joy!

Someone must like the Fiskars shape cutter!

It's a very personal and individual hobby/art form.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000

• CommaHolly Said:
I'm sorry, but saying there are no rules isn't mean. Many people have offered SUGGESTIONS that are very helpful.

Before I posted my rules, it didn't seem like anyone was offering any suggestions. Please try to read in context and stop being over sensitive.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I've said this b4 elsewhere, but I repeat it. The most important things are the pictures and the stories they tell. Beginners need to develop an eye for the interesting tidbit or detail--help telling thier stories. I don't know what kinds of activities to do to develop this eye for a good story.

Kim

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I get it.
It appeared the question was not answered with "there are no rules"?

"Mean" was probably not the best adjective.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Msceejay2000 Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

Before I posted my rules, it didn't seem like anyone was offering any suggestions. Please try to read in context and stop being over sensitive.

I'm not over sensitive. There's a difference between rules and suggestions,,I offered several, and I know others have too.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Bxr-Linda

[quote=Bxr-Linda][quote=M sceejay2000][quote=MommaS aid][quote=Bxr-Linda][quo te=Msceejay2000]Everyone is being so polite and at the same time it's kind of mean. We all would have been just fine with a few rules and a lot less stickers in the beginning.

[/quote]

What is "kind of mean?"

DO NOT USE GLUE STICK!

[/quote]

[/quote]

what's mean?

[/quote]

EXACTLY! That is why my opinion is that it is important to educate about using quality materials.

Would YOU be happy if someone instructed you, as a beginner, to use glue sticks on your pages, you put lots of effort in to those pages, and in 5 years, they fell apart!?

No one said anyone should buy a $30 tape gun. There are plenty of decent adhesives out there that are NOT expensive, and readily available.

[/quote]

I didn't say my list was the be all end all, it's my list. The whole acid free thing is also good instruction.

Seeing as my very old all glue stick albums are doing just fine I'm not against having a beginner start with the most affordable things which work. IMO, glue stick works (as long as you stick to paper and photos... and as long as it is acid free photo quality, blah, blah, blah).

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 10:20 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

There are seven posts before yours offering concrete suggestions (plus other posts agreeing with those).

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000

• CommaHolly Said:
There are seven posts before yours offering concrete suggestions (plus other posts agreeing with those).

And there were 8 which said there are no rules.

ANd it took a while to post all that stuff;)

And if you want to pick apart everything I say I will stay and play the pick apart game with you all day long. I'm bored and my period is coming

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK, I'm out of here.

Nice matters. You and I obviously have a disagreement on helpful comments. We shall leave it at that.

Have a lovely day.

I am so glad I no longer have my period.

God bless menopause.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Wow. That is all. Sheesh.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

• Msceejay2000 Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

And there were 8 which said there are no rules.

ANd it took a while to post all that stuff;)

And if you want to pick apart everything I say I will stay and play the pick apart game with you all day long. I'm bored and my period is coming

Well, that explains a lot.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

This really emphasizes the 'no rules' part of this craft.

MY rules are obviously way different than YOUR rules.

For example, I would strongly discourage ANYONE (especially beginners) from using glue sticks, EVER! The question is not IF they will fail, it's WHEN.
It would be like telling someone to paint their house with watercolors. Why make the effort, if it's just going to wash off.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000

Whatever.

The point was some people make beautiful LOs, in albums, for less than $2 a page.

That type of frugal scrapping, which is important to many beginners, is accomplished with very limited supplies.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 10:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I'm not even sure who said what but I agree it is important to speak up about certain things when it comes to scrapbooking and to speak up loudly. Then at least the person can make an educated decision.

My personal beef is scrapping newspaper. I don’t care how successful you have been scrapping newspaper, spraying it with acid free spray, laminating it, etc. it is only a matter of time until that newspaper breaks down and is ruined often taking out your entire page. If somebody suggest scrapping newspaper, claiming to never have any issues, you can bet I am going to be all over that thread. Why, cause I have a bunch of ruined pages and I wished someone had set me straight when I was a beginner. Will my posts come across as mean. You bet! I want to scare that person into never making the same mistakes I made.
getting off my soapbox now

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Linda, I JUST finished painting my house with watercolors!! Where were you when I needed you??!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

In the spirit of the original question, here are MY rules:

1. Start small and simple. The only MUSTS are paper, adhesive, and cutting tool. Even photos are optional.

2. Educate yourself about archival quality. Use materials that will last as long as you'd like them to.

3. Create what YOU love.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Msceejay2000 Said:
Whatever.

The point was some people make beautiful LOs, in albums, for less than $2 a page.

That type of frugal scrapping, which is important to many beginners, is accomplished with very limited supplies.

I completely agree!!!

I feel I STILL do this. But, I still wouldn't recommend glue sticks.

As a beginner I used artist's rubber cement.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Linda, I JUST finished painting my house with watercolors!! Where were you when I needed you??!!

See?

You would have appreciated some advice, right?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yes! All that precious time, wasted! Ugh!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Manda_K

Another non glue stick enthusiast here. I started using glue sticks way back in the 1980s. All my pages are intact but some pages have discolored spots where the gluestick is applied and the stain has spread thru the pp. I much prefer to use my ATG or photo squares. Yes, all the pps are acid free lignin free.

My suggestions to a newbie would be to jump in and try every technique you can to find how you scrap. To start with use a colorwheel or the color tool here at SB.com, and to remember the rule of thrids and threes. After you get into it a bit all bets are off and its easier to do what your heart dictates. Most of all I'd tell them there are no right or wrong ways to scrap and to please themselves. I'd also tell them that if they are trying to make albums that are passed on then to make sure somewhere on the page (front or back) to state the who, what, where, when, and why info.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
*raises hand*

I am an ignorer! LOL

I also stabbed my finger last week with Cutterbees....maybe another good rule is watch where your scissors are pointing!

I'm also an ignorer.

And I stabbed myself with my Cutterbees this morning! Those mofos are SHARP!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to kelseymel

Yes they are! It is why I love them and am scared of them!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
Yes they are! It is why I love them and am scared of them!

That combination creates a healthy respect.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I get it.
It appeared the question was not answered with "there are no rules"?

"Mean" was probably not the best adjective.

That's where I'm sitting right about now. Perhaps, not the right adjective, but I get the train of thought. It's kinda like letting a child stay up late, eat sugar whenever; never a veggie in sight; never do homework.... It's freeing for the child but does them more harm than good in the long run.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

You. Always bringing up the rubber cement.

Now I want to go buy some just so I can sniff it.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

• CommaHolly Said:
OK, I'm out of here.

Nice matters. You and I obviously have a disagreement on helpful comments. We shall leave it at that.

Have a lovely day.

God bless menopause.

Oh, Holly! Please tell me what the Menopause Fairy is like?! Trust me, I have my reasons for wanting to know.....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

You. Always bringing up the rubber cement.

Now I want to go buy some just so I can sniff it.

Do I??? I never noticed.

I think you need ID to purchase it in most states now.

{kidding.}

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
The glue in those sticks tends to dry and crack over time. It is hard to say, like, WHEN it will come off, but glue sticks are def not meant for the long haul of a scrap page. If you don't mess with them too much and they are in a cooler place, it will probably last longer.

Before I run off to play trains (a bargain struck), I wanted to thank you for explaining this to me. I'll be on the look out for my lesson learned.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • Manda_K Said:

Before I run off to play trains (a bargain struck), I wanted to thank you for explaining this to me. I'll be on the look out for my lesson learned.

Is it possible there is a hierarchy of glue stick (like there obviously is of tape) and the glue sticks of 15 years ago were total jumk... but the glue sticks of 5 year ago weren't so bad?

I used: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Photo-Albums- PGS-Stick/dp...

It's available much cheaper at our local Pat Catan's. It has a lot of the right buzz words printed all over it and it has lasted very well. I just went looking in my first albums and there are no problems with anything I glued... can't say as much for some of the stickers, but alas I can not blame the glue stick for that.

I must be insane. I'm seriously continuing to stick up for glue sticks, which I don't use. Someone send the people with the straight jackets, stat.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 11:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Well.... I think the failure rate of glue sticks DOES depend on a lot. Climate, for example.

There probably are some brands that are better than others. But, in my opinion, it's which one will FAIL faster!

And, frankly, the glue stick you linked is $4 a stick. NOT that cheap.

There are LOTS of people here who will share that their layouts done less than 10 years ago (some less than 5 years) with glue stick are falling apart.
I think that's an important lesson/mistake to pass on to beginners.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Bxr-Linda

I noticed the $4 thing too, I was all

It's around $5 for a 4 pack at Pat Catan's.

What would you recommend as a CHEAP starter adhesive?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Bxr-Linda

Add me to the there are no rules list. I teach scrapbooking from time to time and I tell my students exactly that. Why? Because people get so hung up on "am i doing it right?" instead of enjoying themselves and feeling a certain amount of pride and accomplishment. I have a customer who asks me how I like each and every page she does because she's looking for validation that she's doing it right. I'm more concerned with a) "do you like the page?" and b) "are you enjoying yourself?" than I am with me liking the page.

That being said, my advice is:

1. don't be afraid to invest in good multi-purpose adhesive (like a tape runner) at first. Branch out into other adhesives (modge podge, zip glue, glossy accents) when you've scrapped for awhile and are ready to try a more advanced technique that needs different adhesives.

2. the only opinion that matters is your own. That goes for a lot of things and not just scrapbooking.

3. there are always trade offs. Sometimes the trade off is sacrificing durability and longevity for cost and ease of use. Sometimes the trade off is size versus cost (think the size of the atg versus the savings it generates in adhesive cost) There is no perfect solution/tool only the perfect one for what you're doing at the moment.

4. Don't scrapbook to TV or movies that you haven't seen before. You'll either miss something that happens on the screen because you're absorbed in the scrapbooking or you'll ruin your page because you were paying attention to the screen.

5. Don't be afraid to try. What's the worst that can happen? You waste some money and some product and you have to reprint the photos. It's not like if you screw up you'll go to scrapbook jail.

6. Borrow someone else's tools before buying your own. I like a particular type of trimmer. Not everyone agrees with me. I've had many trimmers over the years because I'd buy one and it would be "ok" and then I'd see an excuse to buy a different one and it might have been better, it could have been worse. One of the things I love about my local group of scrapbooking friends is that they're always willing to let you try their tools so you can see if it will work for you.

As for the glue sticks, I refer you to my blog here.

http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/126041/view/169 079.html

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

I would say that anything is possible.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Manda_K

This is kinda off topic, but it has to do w/ glue sticks. I was at my boyfriend's house last Christmas, and I was "talking scrap" with his sister, who does jewlery and other crafts. I mentioned that i would never use glue sticks--EVER. Well, she played Santa Clause that year, and we all had stockings. Right after i made my comment, I got into my stocking and there was a 4-pack of glue sticks! How to graciously get out of that bind?

Kim

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

• Msceejay2000 Said:
I noticed the $4 thing too, I was all

It's around $5 for a 4 pack at Pat Catan's.

What would you recommend as a CHEAP starter adhesive?

FYI, that glue stick... not the best. I used to sell them when I worked for Ritz Camera and I had to use them when we needed glue in the store. Yeah... stuff didn't always stay stuck no matter how much or little I used.

I prefer the Creative Memories tape runners, but here are a few that I see being used all of the time...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to MommaSaid

I'm not trying to cause any drama, but just wanted to point out that I think a lot of the argument on this thread stems from semantics.

When I saw people posting there are no rules, I didn't think that was mean at all, not even a tad rude. I think it's FREEING to think that there are no hard and fast rules and I disagree that all beginners need rules to scrapbook.

Some beginners feel hemmed in by "rules" and never scrap a page because they're so worried about messing up. Being told there are no rules can be so beneficial in that instance. I can remember going to scrapbooking parties 15 years ago and being completely turned off by the "rules" that the party leaders were demanding people follow (I'm sure some of you can guess the company ). I wanted nothing to do with those so-called rules and went out on my own and did my own thing.

And in fact, there are NO RULES in my opinion. There are suggestions that people can offer; there are tales of experience we can pass on. But really, there are no rules that a beginner has to follow. So I don't think saying "there are no rules" is a bad thing. In my mind, it's true

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Here Kitty

I agree that beginners should know that there are no rules. People have to follow rules in just about every aspect of life--this should not spill over into their artistic expression of themselves! Yet I agree that beginners need some helpful hints and "guidelines." Then hopefully they will come to see how they were "led" and start to make their own decisions about what they like and what works for them. IMO, all good teaching happens this way.

Kim

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

• Quote:
I'm bored and my period is coming

See ya, I'm OUT!

-kory

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to designguyKORY

Hahaaa!! TMI there, K?

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
OK, I'm out of here.

Have a lovely day.

God bless menopause.

Oh, Holly! Please tell me what the Menopause Fairy is like?! Trust me, I have my reasons for wanting to know.....

You'll know....honestly, you will

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Here Kitty

My first album (that maybe I'll finish someday) is my favorite. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I wanted to make a grad book for my granddaughter. I went to a LSS to get some paper and the owner sold me some tape adhesive instead. I bought a few high school embellies, then ordered a wide format printer and a pack of 12x12 white cardstock. That's how I made almost all of my background paper...printed out digi graphics that I already had or made my own with software.

I had fun playing around, but found I was spending a lot of time playing with an exacto knife, so bought a Cricut. Luckily I could buy SCAL back then, so I don't need cartridges.

I had no rules and really no guidelines, but I hated to give that album away. I really think it was my best work.

Now I almost think I have too many tools, supplies, and guidelines and it becomes easier to be on this forum than it is to figure out how I want to scrap something. Maybe I need to get rid of it all, quit shopping and get back to basics. What am I saying? See you at the store~

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee
In response to Manda_K

Okay... well... going to poke my head in here anyway! Lots of my thoughts are dittos, and after that my reading of the thread turned into a skim, but hey, whatever.

For beginners, I absolutely agree about going over the basics of acid and lignin free. You can always point out that those cute wood accents can still be used, but if you want to protect the photos for generations upon generations, not to put those types of accents directly on the photos but to surround them with acid and lignin free (and buffered!) supplies.

When I started scrapping, the advice was to always have 3 copies of every photo. That way you had one to screw up, one to scrap properly, and one for non-scrapped archival photo books. These days, as long as there is a reliable backup digitally (think TWO hard drives, or a CD-ROM, etc), you are usually fine.

Almost everything beyond those basics will depend on the individual scrapper's REASON FOR SCRAPPING. You might invite those beginners to pinpoint why they want to start! For me, I was upset to find that my mother couldn't name her friends from her old photos or even where the pics were taken! So I scrap so that the story is available to my kids, and to their kids. For me, the story behind the photo is essential.

But beyond that, a few things:

Don't scrap the originals - totally agree there!

Basics needed include paper, trimmer, adhesive.

~Paper... quality does matter, but it takes experimenting to learn what you like and what works with your adhesive.

~Trimmer... again, personal choice. Look for those which will readily have refill blades available.

~Which adhesive? Again personal choice, and found only by experiment. Every glue stick I've ever tried has resulted in pages falling apart, and I tried lots of them. My low cost alternative is Scotch double-sided tape. It works on almost everything, and for a beginner would likely be a great choice. The squares are a great choice too, and for some embellies glue dots are a must.

... and then I had to answer the phone and lost my train of thought.

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee

• Msceejay2000 Said:

3. Resist the urge to spread everything out and place "stuff" every 2 inches. This applies triple to stickers, resist the urge to space them out on your LO.

4. People naturally look to top left first. For this reason Many people put title (if they title) in the top left.

5. The eye then naturally goes to the middle and finally the bottom right. If you want to record the story and have it be read after someone sees the picture, this is the natural place for it.

6. The rule of 3 and the rule of thirds are interesting concepts. Some people find them to be law while others ignore them completely. When you have time you may want to read up on them and see if they help you being visually comfortable with your results.

7. Black ink on the edges of everything will help everyone see your layers and make your work pop.

8. Don't buy the Fisker's shape cutter.

9. Everything goes on sale and there is always a coupon. In the beginning there will be many things you want, if you shop at a big box store 50% off retail is the goal. If you shop by mail, try to get the free shipping. If you are lucky enough to have a LSS expect to pay full price but ask lots of questions and expect to pick up information from people who are into scrapbooking while there. The lessons are worth the expense.

10. Better pictures make better pages. If you spend a little time editing your pictures rather than taking them straight from memory card to photo printer, you will probably be happier with your results. Many of the free programs like Picasa are very good.

11. You don't need to print every picture you take and you don't need to scrap every picture you print.

12. Like the rules of 3 and thirds there are also some rules of the color wheels. These come very naturally to some people and for others, not so much. Some people carry a color wheel with them to help maintain visual balance. When you have time check out a site like: http://colorschemedesigne r.com/ it is interactive and may help you feel comfortable making visually comfortable color combinations. If you want something true to a specific photo you might enjoy: http://www.scrapbook.com/color/?m=photo

13. There are no rules, only suggestions. This was rule 1 also, it bears repeating. You will see beautiful LOs with the title on the bottom, journaling on the side, no respect for any rules of 3, or any color wheel and terrible pictures. Breaking the suggestions can be beautiful and works extremely well for some folks.

I really like most of these suggestions! I do think that some of the design thoughts - rule of three, following the eye, inking the edges, etc - are maybe more fitting for a second (or really long) beginner's class. They are absolutely true, but I think a few other things come first and these presented in the same sitting may become overwhelming. It's a great lineup for "scope and sequence" though!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to scrappitydee

MsCeeJay,

Now I'm curious as to what is "wrong" with the fiskars shape cutter? It's the second cutting tool I bought (right after the trimmer), and for quite some time it was the only shape cutting tool I had. One of my first layouts ever was a lo full of circles cut with that thing. At the time, I was hugely proud of that lo. It was the most "fancy" lo I'd ever done at that point.

It's a great beginner shape cutting system. Heck, I still whip it out from time to time, especially of I need a photo cut into a circle in just the right spot.

I thought about parting with it since I have gotten into other systems, but I canNOT seem to part with it. The other systems (like nesties) are not cheap, so buy some of you alls' standards, not beginner friendly.

Thumbs up for the Fiskars Shape Cutter here. Maybe I should scrap a lo of how it made me come to love to scrap with shapes other than squares and rectangles?

There is a HUGE difference between guidelines/suggestions and pure opinion. If someone told me way back when to not buy my beloved shape cutter, I may have gotten extremely bored with scrapping and quit. Just because you hate a tool does not mean its a terrible tool, it just means its not for you.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics